What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFCCG Pre-Game thread: Lions at 49ers (1 Viewer)

I'm guessing everyone other than San Fran fans rooting for Detroit here?

I think SF v. KC/BAL would be a better Super Bowl matchup......but there's something inherently unlikable about SF, what with their whining over last years NFCCG....so you got to pull for the Lions. Plus, that DET fan base deserves to bask in the glow for once. DET is also a much more likable team. Plus, DET's fans here are much more likeable.
Funny how SF fans get the blame for saying the outcome of a game may have been different if they had a QB that could actually throw a pass. As if other fan bases wouldn’t feel the same? That’s confused me.

Anyway, if I wasn’t a 49ers fan I’d be rooting for the Lions here as well.

Edit: and I don’t take anything away from that Eagles team and their win. I think I’ve made that clear before, but just in case.

Last edited:
I could see this played out any number of ways. Assuming Deebo is out, Kittle will have to step up. If I’m Detroit, I’m making Purdy beat me and not CMC.

I think SF v. KC/BAL would be a better Super Bowl matchup......but there's something inherently unlikable about SF, what with their whining over last years NFCCG....so you got to pull for the Lions. Plus, that DET fan base deserves to bask in the glow for once. DET is also a much more likable team. Plus, DET's fans here are much more likeable.
Funny how SF fans get the blame for saying the outcome of a game may have been different if they had a QB that could actually throw a pass. As if other fan bases wouldn’t feel the same? That’s confused me.

Edit: and I don’t take anything away from that Eagles team and their win. I think I’ve made that clear before, but just in case.

I meant more about the players than the fans. As a fan, I completely understand that frustration.

Dan Campbell said today they have to, at least to the extent it’s possible, take away the run. If they’re going to have any success it starts with limiting CMC.

On the Lions defense, "I'm willing to give up something to get something and sometimes you got to, you know, things may happen but that's okay because it'll pay dividends by the by the time you get to fourth quarter"

That definitely describes this defense

Despite the 49ers being a tough passing team, the Lions prime directive is going to be to stop the run.

"If you don't, they'll run for 250 on you and won't even worry about passing"

Zach Ertz will practice today, but no decision has been made on his availability against San Francisco. Detroit could use the body at TE, but a lot has to happen before that's possible. "It's just a matter of, is this the week to use him?"

“This will be an outstanding test for us, but it's one we're ready for,” Lions head coach Dan Campbell said. “We're built to handle this."

Depending on source, I’m seeing 51-52% of the public bet on the 49ers ATS.

Moneyline public bet is 57% on SF

Man, the lack of drama in the thread is such a departure from the normal. I half expect the players to apologize to each other on the field after making tackles or good plays.

Michiganders are really nice.

Ceedy Duce? Welp, he’s his own man, gotta let him be himself.

Man, the lack of drama in the thread is such a departure from the normal. I half expect the players to apologize to each other on the field after making tackles or good plays.
Kind of refreshing to see some respect shown by players and coaches. The “trash talk” gets tiresome. Play the game and talk all you want after.

Kind of refreshing to see some respect shown by players and coaches. The “trash talk” gets tiresome. Play the game and talk all you want after.

Most All of the Lions fans on the board are respectful.

As a city, as a team, Detroit is very respectful of other teams. That comes from Dan Campbell. The only rules he has is be on time, respect your teammates, and respect the game. Winning a game - any NFL game - is difficult. These guys lost 13 times two years ago, started out 0-10-1. Last year they dug themselves a big hole starting 1-6. To finally play consistent - they haven't lost consecutive games since Halloween 2022 - is something they're proud of, but they know how hard it is to win games, win the division, win playoff games.

Except for CJ Gardner-Johnson. He trash talks everyone. In that locker room, everybody gets to be themselves. He's over the top, stone cold killer, has been punched on the field several times. But he backs up the talk by playing at a high level so it's all good.

Defensive comparison over each teams last 6 games including playoffs;

STATLIONS49ers
Total Yards Allowed Per Game390.3319.3
Total Points Allowed127130
Pass Yards Allowed Per Game322.5200.5
Pass TDs Allowed1210
Rush Yards Allowed Per Game67.8118.8
Rush TDs Allowed24
Turnovers119
Sacks1912

Now this is cherry picking par excellence. This includes one of the 49ers worst games (Ravens loss at home) and none of Detroit's worst (at Ravens, Packers on Thanksgiving, at Bears.) In addition, it includes a Week 18 home loss to the Rams when backups played backups.

All that said, it does illustrate that their bend not break defense can make big plays. They generate turnovers and sacks. They haven't allowed anyone to score more than 24 points in their last 6 games. Their only loss was in part due to the officiating SNAFU in Dallas. They've played well in all 3 phases in both their playoff games while the 49ers looked very vulnerable v the Packers.

Oh, and no team allowed less yards rushing to RBs than the 2023 Lions. The individual single game high for the season (including playoffs) is 68, and no team has run for 100 yards on them since Week 14.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.....

1957 Lions at 49ers Western Conference Final Playoff

Tied for regular season conference title, the two teams squared off for the right to move on to the NFL Championship v the Browns. SF led 24-0 as Y.A.Title had 3 TD passes, 24-7 at halftime. As the teams went into the locker room, the PA announcer informed the Kezar Stadium crowd the box office was open to purchase tickets for next week’s game. In the Visitors locker room, the Detroit players could hear their opponents howling and laughing.

An explosive on the opening drive put SF into the red zone. But Detroit stiffened and held them to a FG, 27-7.

Then the comeback began. HB Tom Tracy scored twice in the 3rd quarter, the second an 58 yard scamped. They added an TD in the 4th quarter another long drive to take the lead, and added a chip shot FG late.

Lions 31, 49ers 27

The next week they beat Cleveland at Tiger Stadium for their 4th (and last) NFL Championship. The 24 point comeback in San Francisco remains a club record.

I had no dog in that fight, and I don't want to litigate that game again, but it's not like the 49ers QBs all tripped over themselves and got hurt. The Eagles knocked Purdy out of the game. Rather than saying that they got lucky because the 49ers had no QB, it's more accurate to say that the Eagles physicality on defense is why they won.

It's pretty wild how everyone's view on Lions coach Dan Campbell has done a complete 180. Remember when he first dropped that wild "bite a kneecap" speech? People thought he was nuts.
Now, you look around and everyone's singing his praises. A pretty remarkable shift in public perception, but then again, winning cures all, heh.

Dan Campbell said:
Here's what I do know. This team is going to take on the identity of this city and this city has been down and it found a way to get up. It's found a way to overcome adversity, right? So this team is going to be built on, we're going to kick you in the teeth, right? And when you punch us back, we're going to smile at you. And when you knock us down, we're going to get up and on the way up, we're going to bite a kneecap off. All right? And we're going to stand up and it's going to take two more shots to knock us down. And on the way up, we're going to take your other kneecap and we're going to get up and it's going to take three shots to get us down. And when we do, we're going to take another hunk out of you.

Campbell is nuts.

I think the perception has changed because Campbell has changed. He has always been a great motivator, but when he first started coaching he wasn't a great coach. His first two years were filled with a lot of mistakes and he cost the Lions some games, but to his credit he admitted those mistakes and got better from it. That is why his players and the fans love him and the winning does help.

I had no dog in that fight, and I don't want to litigate that game again, but it's not like the 49ers QBs all tripped over themselves and got hurt. The Eagles knocked Purdy out of the game. Rather than saying that they got lucky because the 49ers had no QB, it's more accurate to say that the Eagles physicality on defense is why they won.
I’m not sure where in my post I mentioned anything like this? I clearly stated that I don’t take anything away from the Eagles and what they accomplished. If your team made the conference championship game and had all of their QBs get injured you’d feel pretty damned sour about that outcome to the season I’d imagine?

I’m done talking about this. Means nothing this year.

cross post from another thread:

Jared Goff grew up about an hour north of Levi’s Stadium. Born and raised in Novato, went to Marin Catholic & Cal. Wears #16 bc he idolized Joe Montana.

His dad Jerry went to San Rafael hs, College of Marin and Cal-Berkeley. Baseball Catcher who bounced around the minors for 12 years, spent parts of 6 seasons for 3 MLB teams.

Resilience runs in the family.
fixed, Goff was raised in Novato (bel marin keys) and went to MC which is a private catholic high school ala Mater Dei and De La Sal. I've lived in Novato since 99 and the local restaraunts with tv's should be rocking sunday for the game with people pulling for the niners and supporting Goff.

Dan Campbell said today they have to, at least to the extent it’s possible, take away the run. If they’re going to have any success it starts with limiting CMC.

On the Lions defense, "I'm willing to give up something to get something and sometimes you got to, you know, things may happen but that's okay because it'll pay dividends by the by the time you get to fourth quarter"

That definitely describes this defense

Despite the 49ers being a tough passing team, the Lions prime directive is going to be to stop the run.

"If you don't, they'll run for 250 on you and won't even worry about passing"

Zach Ertz will practice today, but no decision has been made on his availability against San Francisco. Detroit could use the body at TE, but a lot has to happen before that's possible. "It's just a matter of, is this the week to use him?"

“This will be an outstanding test for us, but it's one we're ready for,” Lions head coach Dan Campbell said. “We're built to handle this."
Very evident by the body language and every time Mike Evans caught a deep ball for a big play, Campbell would just mutter "Yep!" as if to indicate he knew what he was doing and was fine with Evans burning them once in a while since it was making the Bucs one dimensional much of the game.
Deebo might be gimpy coming into the game and so you should likely focus everything on CMC and make Purdy to whoever at WR/TE, make them beat you
I think it's excellent in discussion, we'll see if he can make the plan actually work.

The injury to Purdy was more a fluke hit than the Eagles showing any kind of "physicality". Kroft whiffed on the block and Reddick hit Purdy's arm. Wasn't a big hit, but just happened to cause a major injury on the 49ers first drive. Purdy was 4-4 starting out the game. After Johnson came in, the Eagles could pretty much stack the box because they knew he couldn't throw downfield with any consistency. Having a guy who isn't even backup quality in the game and then no QB at all made the Eagles D look a lot better than they actually were that game. Maybe Philly still wins that game, but certainly not a given. Once Purdy went out, even the most diehard 49er fan like myself knew the game was over with Josh Johnson at QB. When Johnson got hurt, it was humorous in a dark kind of way watching them play without a QB who could actually throw the ball.

Last edited:
Just to fuel the 49er hate a little more:

This will be the 49ers 19th appearance in the NFC Championship Game.

10 have been at home (SF is 5-5)
8 have been on the road (SF is 2-6)

A win on Sunday would give the Niners a winning home record in the NFCCG, and their 8th Super Bowl appearance.

Huh, that’s the most conference championship game appearances in the NFL, three more than the next closest team (Pittsburgh) and five more than the next closest NFC team (Dallas). Not sure I knew or would’ve even guessed that.

Lions HC Dan Campbell explains Kyle Shanahan’s offense:

“He just does an unbelievable job of setting you up. He’s going to make you stop it & if you don’t stop it, you keep getting it & then once you feel like you’re about to stop it, he counters… he’s just always been great about that & the way he sets it up.

They have a mentality about the way they do it & you can’t do what they do without the mentality either. It’s physical — there’s nothing easy about what they do.”

video clip (2:08)

Just to fuel the 49er hate a little more:

10 have been at home (SF is 5-5)
8 have been on the road (SF is 2-6)

A win on Sunday would give the Niners a winning home record in the NFCCG, and their 8th Super Bowl appearance.

I thought we stopped counting accomplishments around the year 2000 timeframe. Nothing counts before then anymore.

Kudos to the Lion’s season, but they are about to take it right in the teeth.

They don’t play well on grass. They don’t play well on the road. Leaky secondary.

Unless Shanahan totally craps the bed - he will destroy Detroit man vs man scheme.

It’s over mid third quarter.

Line now up to -7.5, looks like everyone likes the 49ers.
I'm seeing 70/30 in favor of Detroit in terms of both public % and money %. Assuming google is reliable for this.

I never quite understand how vegas works. I guess this is reverse line movement and they want even more of the public to bet Detroit?

Line now up to -7.5, looks like everyone likes the 49ers.
I'm seeing 70/30 in favor of Detroit in terms of both public % and money %. Assuming google is reliable for this.

I never quite understand how vegas works. I guess this is reverse line movement and they want even more of the public to bet Detroit?
As much as I quote lines, I'm not really sure about any of these perceived percentages and how accurate they are. Why would they even want that to be public knowledge if it meant anything?

Kudos to the Lion’s season, but they are about to take it right in the teeth.

They don’t play well on grass. They don’t play well on the road. Leaky secondary.

Unless Shanahan totally craps the bed - he will destroy Detroit man vs man scheme.

It’s over mid third quarter.
Lions are 6-3 on the road, 3-2 on grass with wins over KC, GB and TB. I'm not worried about that. You may end up being right because of the secondary though.

I'm particularly interested in the health of Deebo, as I took Jauan Jennings as my WR2 in a little 4-team playoff contest this week.

If Deebo's still dinged by Saturday I feel OK playing Jennings, otherwise I may pivot to someone like OBJ.

Of course, BAL plays in the early game so I won't know if Deebo is scratched until it's too late (probably).

Most All of the Lions fans on the board are respectful.

As a city, as a team, Detroit is very respectful of other teams. That comes from Dan Campbell. The only rules he has is be on time, respect your teammates, and respect the game. Winning a game - any NFL game - is difficult. These guys lost 13 times two years ago, started out 0-10-1. Last year they dug themselves a big hole starting 1-6. To finally play consistent - they haven't lost consecutive games since Halloween 2022 - is something they're proud of, but they know how hard it is to win games, win the division, win playoff games.

Except for CJ Gardner-Johnson. He trash talks everyone. In that locker room, everybody gets to be themselves. He's over the top, stone cold killer, has been punched on the field several times. But he backs up the talk by playing at a high level so it's all good.
I agree, but the Lions fans I know IRL are somewhat more obnoxious. I'm giving them a pass because this is the first time in some of their lives they've been able to crow about their team, but if they were Dallas or Philly fans I'd be a lot less patient. The Cardinals fans I knew were like that when they went to the Super Bowl, and I didn't engage them, either. They deserve some leeway to be a little annoying imo. But I haven't seen anything remotely like that on this board.

I could see this played out any number of ways. Assuming Deebo is out, Kittle will have to step up. If I’m Detroit, I’m making Purdy beat me and not CMC.
Deebo practiced today, so probably not a safe assumption.

Also Purdy & that receiving corps against the Lions ~21st ranked pass defense may not be that great of a strategy. :oldunsure:

Deebo practiced today, so probably not a safe assumption.

Also Purdy & that receiving corps against the Lions ~21st ranked pass defense may not be that great of a strategy. :oldunsure:
It’s still a better option than CMC doing it (still far from optimal). Didn’t hear about Deebo practicing, thanks.

This is a game if a couple things go wrong, the Lions could be looking at a very long day. I am really hoping the Lions are in position with a chance to win in the 4th. Obviously the SF defense is superior to the Lions. Offensively both are elite and fun to watch. Lions need to get several sacks and be plus in turnovers to win.

The matchup offers a big discrepancy in coaching aggressiveness with Campbell one of the most likely to go for it on fourth downs, while Shanahan traditionally has been more cautious.

Detroit leads the NFL with 118 fourth-down tries since Campbell arrived, converting 52.5% of them. The Lions are 2 for 2 in the postseason, scoring TDs on two fourth-and-shorts. Detroit's 13 TDs on fourth down in the regular season and playoffs since 2021 are tied for the most in the NFL.

“Those guys are trying to steal possessions as much as they can," Shanahan said. ”I’ll tell you after the game whether that’s a good thing or bad thing for us. Any time you try to steal possessions, you’re also offering an opportunity to lose possession. So those are opportunities for them, but they’re also big opportunities for us, too."

San Francisco has attempted only 50 fourth-down tries the past three seasons, the third fewest in the league.

link

118 fourth down tries! Seems like a lot, but it is over 53 games, so a little more than twice a game seems about right.

I love the aggressivenss. A lot of people hate it and think it is dumb. Yes, you can point to a couple cases where it hurt the Lions in close games, but there were more cases in close games which it helped us win (Craig Reynold's 4th down TD last week is a prime example). Is somethung like a fake punt going to work this week? I doubt it. I would bet SF will be watching for a fake on every punt, but that will help Detroit kicking coverage.

One place I am on a different page than Campbell is his confidence is our sub-par FG kickers. It has lost us two games over the years, but then again Badgley's 54-yarder against the Rams was huge (hadn't kicked one that long in 5 years).

Still no trash talk?

:oldunsure:

You guys wanna start making stuff up?

The Two Best Playcallers On Earth Collide​

• 0:00 The 5 Best 49ers Plays
  • 18:24 The 5 Best Lions Plays

Battle of the Bridges

Golden Gate is probably more iconic, but come on, this is a slam dunk for the Mighty Mac.
  • span - 2 miles for GG, 5 miles for Mackinac Bridge
  • nearby island - Alcatraz < Mackinac Island

Forward down the field,
A charging team that will not yield.
And when the Blue and Silver wave,
Stand and cheer the brave.
Rah, Rah, Rah.
Go hard, win the game.
With honor you will keep your fame.
Down the field and gain,
A Lion victory!

As expected, Jonah Jackson and Kalif Raymond declared out. 3rd QB Hendon Hooker and backup NB Chase Lucas are questionable.

My biggest concern is LG Kayode Awosika. Lions are 11-1 with their starting OL intact, 3-4 when someone is out. The offense actually played better last week after Jonah got hurt but Armstead & Hargrave are a tough IDL duo.

Still no trash talk?

Bobby, I recall you posting something in the Lions thread a couple years ago before a Detroit-SF matchup where someone took the video of Eminem's final battle in Eight Mile and subtitled it with parody lyrics (no sound) making fun of the Niners. The one line I remember was "You guys got Bosa ... Bosa Deez Nuts!"

Ring a bell? I tried Googling it but couldn't find anything.

118 fourth down tries! Seems like a lot, but it is over 53 games, so a little more than twice a game seems about right.

I love the aggressivenss. A lot of people hate it and think it is dumb. Yes, you can point to a couple cases where it hurt the Lions in close games, but there were more cases in close games which it helped us win (Craig Reynold's 4th down TD last week is a prime example). Is somethung like a fake punt going to work this week? I doubt it. I would bet SF will be watching for a fake on every punt, but that will help Detroit kicking coverage.

One place I am on a different page than Campbell is his confidence is our sub-par FG kickers. It has lost us two games over the years, but then again Badgley's 54-yarder against the Rams was huge (hadn't kicked one that long in 5 years).
I'm on record as expecting SF to win but thinking Detroit has a chance to pull off the upset. The one thing that will make me feel a lot more confident is if the Lions can keep it close. Most of Shanahan's biggest wins (NFCCG with Falcons, first NFCCG with Niners) have come in blowouts, while most of his losses have come in close games (or, in one infamous case, a blowout that he managed to turn into a close loss). Meanwhile, the Lions over the past couple years have excelled at pulling out close games against quality opponents where they do just enough to win. I don't think either trend is a coincidence.

Still no trash talk?

Bobby, I recall you posting something in the Lions thread a couple years ago before a Detroit-SF matchup where someone took the video of Eminem's final battle in Eight Mile and subtitled it with parody lyrics (no sound) making fun of the Niners. The one line I remember was "You guys got Bosa ... Bosa Deez Nuts!"

Ring a bell? I tried Googling it but couldn't find anything.
Found it! (Reminder that there is no sound, so don't try to turn the volume up. Just read the words at the bottom of the screen)

It was from early '21 -- Week 1, I believe -- so some of the names are dated (Lance, Hockenson). And all the references to memers seems to be pretty inside baseball. But still ####ing hilarious

Users who are viewing this thread