What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFCCG Pre-Game thread: Lions at 49ers (1 Viewer)

Lions are a great story this season.
Gotta luv Coach Cambell.
"Long suffering" Lions fans deserve some winning.
But if I'm gonna put real cash money on this game I think The Niners win.
The conundrum for me is do they cover?
I'll say...

Experienced Niners- 34
Deserving Lions- 30

While SF defense is very stout, the Lions have a better run defense. The Lions have given up slightly fewer yards and have a only given an average of 3.8 yards per attempt vs. SF 4.1 yards per attempt.

Unlike last week when the Lions focused on the pass and only went to the run later in the game, I see the opposite happening. The Lions will run early and often to open up the play action later in the game.

118 fourth down tries! Seems like a lot, but it is over 53 games, so a little more than twice a game seems about right.

I love the aggressivenss. A lot of people hate it and think it is dumb. Yes, you can point to a couple cases where it hurt the Lions in close games, but there were more cases in close games which it helped us win (Craig Reynold's 4th down TD last week is a prime example). Is somethung like a fake punt going to work this week? I doubt it. I would bet SF will be watching for a fake on every punt, but that will help Detroit kicking coverage.

One place I am on a different page than Campbell is his confidence is our sub-par FG kickers. It has lost us two games over the years, but then again Badgley's 54-yarder against the Rams was huge (hadn't kicked one that long in 5 years).
I'm on record as expecting SF to win but thinking Detroit has a chance to pull off the upset. The one thing that will make me feel a lot more confident is if the Lions can keep it close. Most of Shanahan's biggest wins (NFCCG with Falcons, first NFCCG with Niners) have come in blowouts, while most of his losses have come in close games (or, in one infamous case, a blowout that he managed to turn into a close loss). Meanwhile, the Lions over the past couple years have excelled at pulling out close games against quality opponents where they do just enough to win. I don't think either trend is a coincidence.
I keep forgetting Shanahan was the head coach and defensive coordinator for the Falcons 🤷🏻

118 fourth down tries! Seems like a lot, but it is over 53 games, so a little more than twice a game seems about right.

I love the aggressivenss. A lot of people hate it and think it is dumb. Yes, you can point to a couple cases where it hurt the Lions in close games, but there were more cases in close games which it helped us win (Craig Reynold's 4th down TD last week is a prime example). Is somethung like a fake punt going to work this week? I doubt it. I would bet SF will be watching for a fake on every punt, but that will help Detroit kicking coverage.

One place I am on a different page than Campbell is his confidence is our sub-par FG kickers. It has lost us two games over the years, but then again Badgley's 54-yarder against the Rams was huge (hadn't kicked one that long in 5 years).
I'm on record as expecting SF to win but thinking Detroit has a chance to pull off the upset. The one thing that will make me feel a lot more confident is if the Lions can keep it close. Most of Shanahan's biggest wins (NFCCG with Falcons, first NFCCG with Niners) have come in blowouts, while most of his losses have come in close games (or, in one infamous case, a blowout that he managed to turn into a close loss). Meanwhile, the Lions over the past couple years have excelled at pulling out close games against quality opponents where they do just enough to win. I don't think either trend is a coincidence.
I keep forgetting Shanahan was the head coach and defensive coordinator for the Falcons 🤷🏻

OC

Point taken, and I’m generally in the camp that defends Shanny for Super Bowl LI. But I don’t think he’s a great in-game coach, and that’s come back to bite him in a bunch of big games (he was lucky that his complete mismanagement of the clock at the end of the first half didn’t hurt the Niners last week)

Strange that the line dropped back to 7 after the Deebo news.

Opened at 7, moved to 7.5, back at 7.

Rough pull for folks who laid the hook.

Point taken, and I’m generally in the camp that defends Shanny for Super Bowl LI. But I don’t think he’s a great in-game coach, and that’s come back to bite him in a bunch of big games (he was lucky that his complete mismanagement of the clock at the end of the first half didn’t hurt the Niners last week)
He certainly wasn’t without fault but the execution was horrible and the defense couldn’t get off the field. Just funny that SOME people put the blame completely on him. Like Quinn and the D coordinator didn’t contribute.

Ryan taking the sack instead of throwing the ball away so they were outside of Bryant’s FG range and Freeman not picking up the blitz that caused the fumble were huge plays. I watched the game in Cabo at a beach bar so all the details aren’t clear but remember those two plays and the Patriots dinking and dunking their way down the field the 2nd half.

The Niners have won 4 one score playoff games in the last three years.

Just further evidence of their mediocrity.

Damned if you do/don't. That whole thing.
A lot of people really don’t like Shanahan. Not sure why. Guy took over a franchise that was a total train wreck and had them in the Super Bowl in his third season, without the benefit of a top QB. Had made the NFC championship game at a minimum in 4 of the last 5 seasons. Must know something about managing a game. Had Jimmy not melted down in the 4th quarter against the Chiefs, he would have a Super Bowl win as well. Open receivers on multiple plays for first downs to ice the game and Jimmy couldn’t make the throws.

Maybe some of the animosity due to people not liking his dad. Anyway, guy is a great coach. Has created a winning culture and guys enjoy playing for him.

A lot of people really don’t like Shanahan.

I'm honestly one of his detractors for the Atlanta Super Bowl and the SF one, but he is a good coach.

Maybe some of the animosity due to people not liking his dad.

This can't be underestimated. I think the whole wide zone blocking scheme turned some football purists off, too. I think the running plays Kyle calls, while really effective, rankle or rankled some of the old football guys because of the speed with which the guys move and the brutality of the hits the guys take. I don't know. Just spitballing. His father was an innovator of the late-round back, and the old heads thought real backs go in the first, too, so any new way of doing things . . .

A lot of people really don’t like Shanahan. Not sure why. Guy took over a franchise that was a total train wreck and had them in the Super Bowl in his third season, without the benefit of a top QB. Had made the NFC championship game at a minimum in 4 of the last 5 seasons. Must know something about managing a game. Had Jimmy not melted down in the 4th quarter against the Chiefs, he would have a Super Bowl win as well. Open receivers on multiple plays for first downs to ice the game and Jimmy couldn’t make the throws.

Maybe some of the animosity due to people not liking his dad. Anyway, guy is a great coach. Has created a winning culture and guys enjoy playing for him.
It's all backlash because he gets a ton of praise for being a good coach but hasn't won a super bowl. Until he does, he's going to get called overrated by a large chunk of NFL fans.

A lot of people really don’t like Shanahan.

I'm honestly one of his detractors for the Atlanta Super Bowl and the SF one, but he is a good coach.

OK, but the head coach is the one making the final decisions and was also supposed to be the defensive genius and they got shredded the 2nd half. Shanahan may well deserve some criticism but he got pretty much all of it and Quinn seems to have gotten a pass. I had no dog in that fight but watching the game, I couldn’t understand why Atlanta went from an aggressive 1st half defense that obviously worked to a passive D that didn’t in the 2nd half.

As far as the KC Super Bowl, as a Niner fan, I have a hard time blaming Shanahan. The criticism of “he should have run the ball” is weak. He wanted to but KC stacked the box in the 4th quarter and he dialed up open receivers with easy throws that Jimmy missed. Had Deebo wide open in the flat for a 1st down and didn’t see him. Got two passes batted down. Overthrew Sanders for a TD. Missed Kittle for a 1st down. 2.3 QBR in the 4th quarter. Jimmy had taken a couple shots to the head so maybe that played a part but maybe he just wasn’t good under pressure. They basically took the ball out of his hands in the NFC playoffs against Minnesota because he was so bad and then against GB, they didn’t need to throw the ball much.

Hopefully this is the year 😎

I'm guessing everyone other than San Fran fans rooting for Detroit here?
They are America’s Team

Cornball stuff….

Cowboys = America’s team - you don’t have to like it but they adopted the tagline and own it.

Same with “How bout them _______! Replacing Cowboys with any other team is cringey AF.

Same with Raiders Nation. That’s the Raiders’ shtick- it belongs to them and them only.

There is no Lions nation, 49ers nation, etc…

They are America’s Team

Cornball stuff….

Cowboys = America’s team - you don’t have to like it but they adopted the tagline and own it.

Same with “How bout them _______! Replacing Cowboys with any other team is cringey AF.

Same with Raiders Nation. That’s the Raiders’ shtick- it belongs to them and them only.

Niner Empire. It's a thing.

They are America’s Team

Cornball stuff….

A thing I have never heard of as a diehard 49er fan. Sounds more like people trying to make it a thing 😏

They are America’s Team

Cornball stuff….

A thing I have never heard of as a diehard 49er fan. Sounds more like people trying to make it a thing 😏

IIRC, It’s an 80s thing. Started in 2005

In the 70s BM (Before Montana,) they were referred to the 49ers Faithful

They are America’s Team

Cornball stuff….

No, it's an actual thing with chapters all over the globe. I'm a member of the Tampa chapter. It was started in 2005.

Niner Empire

Last edited:

Until you get stoned, disavow your team when they're down four points, and go play disc golf while checking FBG to make sure that the title to the 9er thread has changed for the morbidly absurd and ridiculous.
If you're gonna go this route, at least get the facts straight. It was UFC, not disc golf.

I do whatever works. I've burned shirts, broke cups/glasses, smashed a garden gnome...sometimes it takes measures to get results.

They are America’s Team

Cornball stuff….

Faithful is much more a thing than Empire.

They are America’s Team

Cornball stuff….

Yep

Our family had season tickets for 4 seasons (1970-1973) and 49er Faithful was a big thing then. Good times with my parents as a young kid just getting into football.

Have honestly never heard the term “49er empire”.

They are America’s Team

Cornball stuff….

Faithful is what the fanbase is called, Empire is an organization started by fans.

Until you get stoned, disavow your team when they're down four points, and go play disc golf while checking FBG to make sure that the title to the 9er thread has changed for the morbidly absurd and ridiculous.
If you're gonna go this route, at least get the facts straight. It was UFC, not disc golf.

I do whatever works. I've burned shirts, broke cups/glasses, smashed a garden gnome...sometimes it takes measures to get results.
I hope these things were done at your house and not when you were at friends houses 😎

It's not 49er Empire, it's Niner Empire. My guess is Its more of a thing to people outside the Bay Area. I first heard about it about 10 years ago and have been a member ever since, mainly to get tickets to 49er games in Tampa in sections with other 49er fans.

Niner Empire, Niners Nation, 49er Faithful...I carry a card for all 3.

It's not 49er Empire, it's Niner Empire. My guess is Its more of a thing to people outside the Bay Area. I first heard about it about 10 years ago and have been a member ever since, mainly to get tickets to 49er games in Tampa in sections with other 49er fans.
OK, never heard of “Niner Empire” until today.

Thanks for the heads up

I hope these things were done at your house and not when you were at friends houses 😎
Some at home, some in public but I haven't done anything like that in years. All I do now is flip out online, it's way less costly and messy.

Mike Shanahan and Alex Gibbs his running game consultant are legendary in the NFL for the effectiveness of their blocking schemes. It seems to have rubbed off somewhat on JR as well.

If people dislike Shanahan they are either Chief, Raiders or Chargers fans or they had Terrell Davis when he was injured in fantasy.

Most NFL teams have adopted and tried to copy what Mike was doing with the run blocking with mixed success. There is still something special about even Shanahan JR run blocking schemes that make it a bit better than most teams running outside zone. This was before CMC even although he is the best RB of his generation and takes it to another level.

Maybe there are other things people don't like about Mike Shanahan that I am unaware of. As a fantasy player I know I followed that gravy train for a long long time.

I call Mike Skeletor sometimes just because its funny. I have plenty of respect for his accomplishments.

Last edited:
Cowboys are America's Team as in the team 90% of America absolutely can't stand.
Exactly. The whole nonsense of Dallas declaring themselves America’s Team is some leftover vibe from 70s marketing slogans. Most of America despises this team and its owner. “America’s Team.” More like America’s Pariah.
I think they were just Americas Team because there were like 2 games on TV per week and Dallas was good so they were on TV a lot.

Battle of the Bridges

Golden Gate is probably more iconic, but come on, this is a slam dunk for the Mighty Mac.
  • span - 2 miles for GG, 5 miles for Mackinac Bridge
  • nearby island - Alcatraz < Mackinac Island

Cmon, man. Most people that have never lived MI have even heard of the Mackinac bridge, while everyone on earth knows the Golden Gate.

Not even close.
Way more suicides on the GG, so you’ve got that going for you.

Yeah, but I was taking about the games that *I* remembered! :lmao:

OK fine, I may have gotten a little over my skis there in trying to pick apart Shanny’s record. I still stand behind my main point — that if it’s close in the 4th quarter, I’d much rather have Campbell than Shanahan

Cowboys are America's Team as in the team 90% of America absolutely can't stand.
Exactly. The whole nonsense of Dallas declaring themselves America’s Team is some leftover vibe from 70s marketing slogans. Most of America despises this team and its owner. “America’s Team.” More like America’s Pariah.
I think they were just Americas Team because there were like 2 games on TV per week and Dallas was good so they were on TV a lot.
I thought it was a self-proclaimed deal. Marketing and all that.

Bob Ryan of NFL films came up with that term and it stuck.

Yeah, but I was taking about the games that *I* remembered! :lmao:

OK fine, I may have gotten a little over my skis there in trying to pick apart Shanny’s record. I still stand behind my main point — that if it’s close in the 4th quarter, I’d much rather have Campbell than Shanahan
Why exactly?

Bob Ryan of NFL films came up with that term and it stuck.
🤢 🤮

Lions have always been my #1 Detroit sports team., followed by the Spartans, Pistons and then the Tigers and Red Wings. My absolute favorite team is probably the 68 Tigers, first real sports memory, since the Tigers won the world series when I was so young I never felt the push or need for them to win the championship again.

For years it was the pursuit of winning the championship, my favorite was the the process it took the Pistons to eventually over take the Celtics to win the Ship. The Red Wings was also a fun run to win the Cup after so many years. Once the Wings and Pistons won their titles, I never really rooted for them the same way since they already reached the apex. I'm guessing this is some kind of twisted personality flaw.

Present case with the Lions. I certainly want them to win the Super Bowl this year, but part of me prefers them to advance in increments, NFC title game this year, Super Bowl next year and Super Bowl Champion within 3 years. Once and if they ever win the Super Bowl, rooting for them will never have the same desperation hope. Am I crazy, any other fans feel this way after their team finally won the championship?

Am I crazy, any other fans feel this way after their team finally won the championship?

Sure. Once the Red Sox won the ALCS in 2004 after beating the hated Yankees in an epic seven-game series that saw them down 3-0, I never quite rooted as hard again for them to win. It was like a giant existential weight off of my shoulders as a lifelong Sox fan. Beating the Cardinals in the World Series was almost anticlimactic and they hadn't even won the championship yet. That was all a blur after the Yankees series.

Beautiful, but never the same again.

Am I crazy, any other fans feel this way after their team finally won the championship?

Sure. Once the Red Sox won the ALCS in 2004 after beating the hated Yankees in an epic seven-game series that saw them down 3-0, I never quite rooted as hard again for them to win. It was like a giant existential weight off of my shoulders as a lifelong Sox fan. Beating the Cardinals in the World Series was almost anticlimactic and they hadn't even won the championship yet. That was all a blur after the Yankees series.

Beautiful, but never the same again.
Red Sox fan? Finally something to put in my rockaction "Con" column. :P

Actually in my baseball-loving youth, I did like the Red Sox as much as I could any non-Tigers team. Loved me some Oil-Can Boyd! Then in 2004 that all changed. On our honeymoon that spanned the entire Yankees series, the resort gathering/bar area had a big screen where all of the ALCS games were on. As NY built up a lead there were the requisite cheers and muted semi-friendly ribbing coming from some Yankee fans. As Boston mounted their comeback over the course of 6(?) days, it was the amazing to see seemingly normal Boston couples turn into obnoxious loud-mouth teenagers. Yankees fans were cool throughout. Not cool enough for me to like the Yankees, but still cool.

Anyhow, yes I do agree with you guys. The buildup & win is way better than any subsequent championships. All of the Detroit championships I've known have been struggles up to the top of the mountain. If the Lions miraculously win this year, it will definitely be different. Very Warner/Faulk Rams-like. I don't think I've even fully processed that they're in the NFCCG.

Users who are viewing this thread