What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

No Mike Gillislee thread? Mike Gilleslee thread (1 Viewer)

Nice analytics but do these stats hold up over time, as the player gets more reps?  When the top 2 players ate backups, Rex being third string, we need to question the value. 
No question. I am not saying that they are right, just that Mr Instaface is clearly looking at analytics closely when making these moves.

and this is a really weird statement - so gaining a first down is valuable, but scoring 18 TDs is not?

A one yard run on 3 and 1 that earns a first down = "good" but a one yard run on second and goal for a TD = "mediocre"?
What's even worse is, correct me if I'm wrong here, but a TD does not count as a first down in the stat keeping.  So on those 18 runs Blount couldn't get a 1st down (which lowered his 1st down percentage) because he was too busy scoring a TD on the play.

Man, this has the earmarks of a Welker type of signing.  Gillislee has put up some fine numbers when given the chance, and those contract numbers are not backup numbers - especially if NE has to surrender a 5th rounder too.

Very happy Gillislee owner here

Man, this has the earmarks of a Welker type of signing.  Gillislee has put up some fine numbers when given the chance, and those contract numbers are not backup numbers - especially if NE has to surrender a 5th rounder too.

:yes:  

funny, I had just received an offer for him I considered this weekend.  But as a McCoy owner, I liked having his backup.  

So the Pats have signed Burkhead and Gillislee, resigned White and still have Lewis under contract if I am not mistaken. Feels like the same old same old with the Pats backfield in regards to fantasy. No certainties from week to week. 

What's even worse is, correct me if I'm wrong here, but a TD does not count as a first down in the stat keeping.  So on those 18 runs Blount couldn't get a 1st down (which lowered his 1st down percentage) because he was too busy scoring a TD on the play.
Yeah, scoring a touchdown is not considered a conversion.

In regard to Lewis and White, I believe that the contract for one (or both) of them is done after 2017?

Maybe that helps for the "why" of this offer sheet to Gillislee?

In regard to Lewis and White, I believe that the contract for one (or both) of them is done after 2017?

Maybe that helps for the "why" of this offer sheet to Gillislee?
White got an extension through 2020 today. Lewis is only signed for 2017.

The odd part is Burkhead did not get back-up contract #'s either...

The odd part is Burkhead did not get back-up contract #'s either...

No he didn't, but it was only a 1 year deal with $1M in the signing bonus.  That's close to being a tryout/prove it deal where NE can cut bait any time before the start of the season.

It's almost like the NE staff got tired of playing chicken with Blount and nervous about Burkhead all at the same time.

Nice analytics but do these stats hold up over time, as the player gets more reps?  When the top 2 players ate backups, Rex being third string, we need to question the value. 
You should question their previous coaches ability to identify talent.

I like the opportunity he has a shot at in NE.
The decent money plus the 5th round pick given up seem to back up that opinion. That said though, we never can really trust what the NE running game will be like. I'm in a dynasty start-up draft right and am trying to figure out where to place his value.

According to ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss, the "expectation" is Mike Gillislee will "essentially fill LeGarrette Blount's role" in the Patriots' offense.

Blount led the NFL in rushing touchdowns (18) and finished second in the league in carries (299), so this would be a huge win for Gillislee's fantasy outlook. Reiss considers Gillislee, Rex Burkhead, and James White "locks" to make the roster, with Dion Lewis "rounding out the top four slots on the running back depth chart." Over the past two offseasons, the Patriots have pried Gillislee, Stephon Gilmore, and Chris Hogan from the division-rival Bills.

Source: ESPN Boston 
Apr 24 - 5:08 PM

Prefer Gillislee to the flyer pick, especially with Shady's history.  Money not a huge factor.

I just don't see the Bills as a viable SB candidate, so I'd rather swing for a long term contributor at a more important position with the 5th. But I can see your POV, with the importance of the running game to the Bills chances. 

Last edited by a moderator:
With Blount out of the way I think he is going to thrive with the Patriots...This is such a Bills move.

How is it that a horrible team like the Bills have no money under the cap, while the defending Super Bowl Champions have a seemingly endless cash flow this off season?

With Blount out of the way I think he is going to thrive with the Patriots...This is such a Bills move.

How is it that a horrible team like the Bills have no money under the cap, while the defending Super Bowl Champions have a seemingly endless cash flow this off season?
This is a fantastic question.  

This is a fantastic question.  
It's pretty straight forward. BB prefers players on their first contract or their third contract, not their second contract when they have cashed in. He'll also take on castaways and players coming off injuries just looking for a chance to prove themselves. 

It doesn't hurt that the Pats get guys to play for less than market value and TB12 has been leaving money on the table for years. 

And they generally don't go signing players above market value that are not top of the market players (Charles Clay as an example). 

It's pretty straight forward. BB prefers players on their first contract or their third contract, not their second contract when they have cashed in. He'll also take on castaways and players coming off injuries just looking for a chance to prove themselves. 

It doesn't hurt that the Pats get guys to play for less than market value and TB12 has been leaving money on the table for years. 

And they generally don't go signing players above market value that are not top of the market players (Charles Clay as an example). 
Frankly it just comes down to better coaching.  BB gets by with cheap players because he does football better than anyone else.  Helps a ton of course that Brady is the GOAT, but together they get players that fit the system and execute. Then he also gets players that want to play for him.  Really who wouldn't?  It's rather amazing to watch.  

It is almost like one team has no clue and the other knows exactly what they are doing

Still a committee.  I wonder if dion lewis makes the team now? The pats have good depth

Lewis is only costing them $1.2 million and they still have $20 million in cap room. Even though they resigned Bolden recently, Bolden would likely be the first back to go if they needed a roster spot. 

"Top" might be a bit of a stretch, but Bolden does play special teams. He's no Matthew Slater. Bolden re-signed for one year at $855K with only $50K guaranteed.  Bolden has to know he still is on the roster bubble as he is invisible on offense. 

I'm a little confused over what they plan to do with Burkhead, as the Gillislee signing puts a damper on Burkhead's touches and upside. 

I will say that NE's opponent's early in the year are going to struggle mightily with what to expect from the Patriots offense. Without any film or tendencies to evaluate, teams won't know what to expect. 

Teams later in the year may still have trouble slowing down the offense, but by then there might be more to review and some guys could get banged up by then. 

That's the only really issue with the roster as constituted. They have a lot of "fragile" players, and two of the past four years they were decimated with injuries. Of course, they won the SB in the other two, so they should be a top contender again if they can stay healthy. 

I'm a little confused over what they plan to do with Burkhead, as the Gillislee signing puts a damper on Burkhead's touches and upside. 
It'll be like the Ridley, Vereen, BJE, Woodhead, Faulk days where 3 guys get 100-150 touches and some scraps for the rest

Don't be pedantic.  In 2013 there were 167 touches between Boldin and Vereen after Blount and Ridley got their 150+
That was one of several years with a bunch of injuries to the RB corps. Bolden only got his touches because Vereen and Ridley were hurt. That type of scenario certainly could happen again this year, but with everyone healthy it will be interesting to see how they assign the workload.

That was one of several years with a bunch of injuries to the RB corps. Bolden only got his touches because Vereen and Ridley were hurt. That type of scenario certainly could happen again this year, but with everyone healthy it will be interesting to see how they assign the workload.
something like: 150/150/100/50

or:  250/100/50/50

where ideal scenario would be: 300/50/50/50

and the worst; 112.5/112.5/112.5/112.5

I kind of pulled 450 out of my ###, would be nice to see the year to year touches for RBs.  I just sort of glanced at the last few years and estimated... could be low.

NE RB touches per year . . .

2016 - 492
2015 - 440
2014 - 454
2013 - 519
2012 - 541
2011 - 414
2010 - 464
2009 - 492
2008 - 513
2007 - 461
2006 - 521