What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Non-Fantasy Question: Holders for Kickers (1 Viewer)

I've always wondered why so many teams use their punters as the holder for field goals instead of a backup QB.

It seems to me that having a QB as the holder introduces a much greater challenge to the defense in having to be better prepared for fake FGs.

Which leads me to two questions:

1) Why have so many teams used the punter? Fear of injury to their backup QBs? Do the backup QBs "refuse" to serve as the holder, forcing the teams to go with the punter instead?

2) With the new rules this year removing the restriction on subbing in 2nd & 3rd QBs, do you guys think that we'll start to see more and more teams using their 2nd or 3rd QBs as the holder for field goals?

Punters are already used to working with the long snapper.

Punters are there at the right time and place to practice holding on placekicks. QBs are usually elsewhere doing offensive things.

Punters are tuned in the mental aspect of kicking plays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Punters are already used to working with the long snapper.Punters are there at the right time and place to practice holding on placekicks. QBs are usually elsewhere doing offensive things.Punters are tuned in the mental aspect of kicking plays.
I've always thought it was mostly a practice thing. Coaches want to have their backup QBs working with the offense in practice. The P is already working "on the side" with the K and long snapper, so they don't have to take away playing time from the "real football players" to practice something as unimportant as special teams.I don't at all buy into that thought process, but I believe that's how many/most NFL coahces think.

Users who are viewing this thread