What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

North Carolina shark attacks (2 Viewers)

Headed out to Folly Beach.

What's more likely, I get bitten by a shark or Oats chooses a reasonable diet & exercise plan, sticks with it, and get to his goal weight?

Wish I knew how to make this a pole.

Another attack in Ocracoke, NC :(

This article suggests it could be because of the increase of sea turtles. (for those that dont know, they shut down huge sections of the entire east coast every year because the environmentalists have lobbied relentlessly for protection of sea turtles and piping plovers).
you say that like its a bad thing.Interesting though regarding where fresh water meets the ocean and sea turtles. In kauai a couple years back we paddle boarded up with the river to where the ocean hit and saw some sea turtles swimming around which was really cool. The day after we leave some large sharks were spotted in the exact area in shallow water. And that's why I normally just stay at the pool bar. We evolved to not be in nature.

Im going to Clearwater Beach in two weeks and my wife is already insisting I cant go in the water. Stupid sharks

Couple weeks ago I thought people were being ridiculous. Now a little nervous about taking the kids to Wrightsville Beach in about a month.

Crazy thing is the stories of the sharks taking multiple bites of the victims. Used to always hear bites only occur as a mistake and once they realize you aren't a fish they release. Not anymore huh?

Headed out to Folly Beach.

What's more likely, I get bitten by a shark or Oats chooses a reasonable diet & exercise plan, sticks with it, and get to his goal weight?

Wish I knew how to make this a pole.
Love folly! My favorite beach. Have a couple at The Crab Shack for me.

Not so sure I would let my kids swim on the NC beaches right now.

That said, going to the beach here in NY today :unsure:

bagger said:
E-Z Glider said:
Another attack in Ocracoke, NC :(

This article suggests it could be because of the increase of sea turtles. (for those that dont know, they shut down huge sections of the entire east coast every year because the environmentalists have lobbied relentlessly for protection of sea turtles and piping plovers).
you say that like its a bad thing.
Im all for environmental causes, but at least in the case of the plover, these are misguided resources.

Over the past decade, orgs like Audubon have lobbied the NPs to shut down access to beaches from MD to SC during the piping plover nesting season (basically the whole summer). There was never any evidence to suggest that closing the beaches would help these birds, but they did it anyway. Now the data shows that it hasn't helped at all. The Gov is finally starting to come around on this issue and beach access is slowly coming coming back.

Protecting the sea turtles was much easier and less invasive. The were successful in their efforts and the sea turtle population has nearly doubled. The downside is that all the extra turtles in the water could be part of the reason we're seeing more sharks in the surf.

Apple Jack said:
shadyridr said:
Im going to Clearwater Beach in two weeks and my wife is already insisting I cant go in the water. Stupid sharks
Pretty sure it's been a light year so far for Florida.
Especially on the Gulf coast
Yup. You have a greater chance of being stung by a stingray in the sand or felated by a snook.
What areas have the most incidents of snook fellatio? You know, so I can avoid them. :oldunsure:

I'm going to Ocean Isle in August. I'll still go in the water, but not sure if my wife and kids will. She's pretty freaked out about all the attacks. Me? I think it would be a pretty cool way to die.

This was in South Africa yesterday during on an air competition of the worlds best

http://youtu.be/u49wWWasy1U
wow! That scared me. He was lucky to get out of that pretty much unscathed!
According to this report he fought it off by punching the shark.

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/07/19/23/47/mick-fanning-narrowly-avoids-shark-attack-in-south-africa

Australian surfer Mick Fanning has narrowly avoided injury after he was attacked by two sharks during the final of the Jeffreys Bay Open in South Africa.

Dramatic footage showed a large fin beside him as he sat on his board and some thrashing before he was knocked into the water.

Fanning wasn't hurt in the incident, which happened during the final against fellow Aussie Julian Wilson, managing to fight the shark off by punching it.

A safety boat and several jetskis immediately rushed into the contest area to pull the triple world champion from the water and scare off the predator, while Wilson was also hauled onto the back of another jetski.

"I was just sitting there and I felt something just get stuck in my leg rope, and I was kicking, trying to get it away," Fanning said afterwards.

"I instantly just jumped away. It kept coming at my board and I was kicking and screaming.

"I just saw fins. I was waiting for teeth. I punched it in the back."

World Surfing League deputy commissioner Renato Hickel said there were two sharks involved.

"We have rules and regulations in place for these incidents," he said.

"There were actually two sharks so three horns were blasted and we have the heat on hold.

"We will only resume the final once we are 100 percent sure it will be safe for the surfers."

Hickel said Fanning and Wilson would be counselled to ensure they were not too traumatised before the final would be resumed.

"This is the first time in professional surfing history (it has happened)," Hickel said.

"Nobody has ever experienced a situation like that where a surfer is actually tackled by two sharks right when the final starts."

WSL commissioner Kieran Perrow later called off the final. It was yet to be decided whether the final would be rescheduled.

The incident comes 12 years after Australia's Taj Burrow had a close brush with a large shark while competing at Jeffereys Bay.

No surfer has ever been attacked while competing at a professional event.

You realize that's photoshopped, yes?
What? You mean those words weren't actually suspended in mid air in front of those people? I'm thoroughly flummoxed.

Users who are viewing this thread