What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

North Korea thread (1 Viewer)

:shrug:

We could't take out an airport in Syria with 59 Tomahawk Missiles.

I think you may be over-estimating the effect of our little armada, and the preparedness factor of North Korea.
We could have leveled it with 1 MOAB if we wanted to. I'm talking absolutely nothing left of the airport....if we wanted to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised he hasn't been assassinated.  He's taken out a ton of military commanders.  One would think there's a breaking point with them.  And while NK civilians have limited clues how bad they have it, the military leaders should know.  

And one would think China might be willing to take him out now too.  While I'm sure they are amused at the trouble this little midget is causing the US and SK, the fact is they want NK as a buffer and if he goes off and is able to kill 200-500k SKoreans, the retribution puts China in an awful spot.

I'm surprised he hasn't been assassinated.  He's taken out a ton of military commanders.  One would think there's a breaking point with them.  And while NK civilians have limited clues how bad they have it, the military leaders should know.  

And one would think China might be willing to take him out now too.  While I'm sure they are amused at the trouble this little midget is causing the US and SK, the fact is they want NK as a buffer and if he goes off and is able to kill 200-500k SKoreans, the retribution puts China in an awful spot.
you would think that China needs us more than they need NK. NK is gnat....they should make him go away.

:shrug:

We could't take out an airport in Syria with 59 Tomahawk Missiles.

I think you may be over-estimating the effect of our little armada, and the preparedness factor of North Korea.
A fleet of multi-warhead ICBMs launched from subs.  45 minutes is generous.

(and the point of the attack in Syria wasn't to take out the airport - small FYI).

you would think that China needs us more than they need NK. NK is gnat....they should make him go away.
If China really wanted to apply pressure to NK they'd seal the border and stop accepting coal imports.  That would turn the screws real hard.  NK doesn't really have much in the way of exports

I'm waiting for the light to go off in their head that they will make a load more money in a free NK than they do now.

Theres a problem though: China lost a lot of lives defending NK from the US in the 50s. Now that might seem ridiculous now but FYI China still advertises itself as 'communist'. Yeah they're not but they are. 

I'm waiting for the light to go off in their head that they will make a load more money in a free NK than they do now.

Theres a problem though: China lost a lot of lives defending NK from the US in the 50s. Now that might seem ridiculous now but FYI China still advertises itself as 'communist'. Yeah they're not but they are. 

The biggest challenge with North Korea, and why nobody is rushing in the fix things - its going to be a nightmare for either China or South Korea to step in and modernize the entire country.  

There will also be philosophical debates over who should do it - China won't like giving up an Ally, and South Korea would not be thrilled with anything less than unification of the Korean Peninsula.  That is going to leave lingering tensions - not including the natural tensions of the North Korean people themselves, who probably don't know any better than that the world is out to get them.

The theory is NK launches nukes . Who knows their max range but certainly 30 miles in within their strike zone
I don't think its Nukes - its 500,000 artillery shells that can hit Seoul in an hour.

As for Northern casualties - I don't think that is part of the Jong-un calculus.  And, I don't think its in the South Korean/US response plan (to inflict maximum casualties)...any initial response will be towards NK's artillery positions, and preventing an actual invasion, should the NK army begin heading south.

The theory is NK launches nukes . Who knows their max range but certainly 30 miles in within their strike zone
Or they just blow up on the launchpad. Actually I don't believe they have the capability yet to arm a missile with a nuke. They at best can catapult one across the DMZ.

Or they just blow up on the launchpad. Actually I don't believe they have the capability yet to arm a missile with a nuke. They at best can catapult one across the DMZ.
It's not the missiles that worry me.  It's a guy with a briefcase/ bag.  

That is unless Russia or someone else just happens to give them the tech and knowledge they need to hurt us.

they need to get over that conflict that was almost 70 years ago. I mean hey the US and Japan restored ties pretty quickly....

So casting doubt in the mind of our enemies as to the position of our carrier groups while on war footing is a bad thing, now? 

I'm no Trump apologist or fan (didn't vote for him), but this seems like an odd thing to get worked into a lather over. Perhaps we could interest you in some sort of live map on the homepage of navy.mil with precise locations of all our assets for your viewing pleasure? :lol:

So casting doubt in the mind of our enemies as to the position of our carrier groups while on war footing is a bad thing, now? 

I'm no Trump apologist or fan (didn't vote for him), but this seems like an odd thing to get worked into a lather over. Perhaps we could interest you in some sort of live map on the homepage of navy.mil with precise locations of all our assets for your viewing pleasure? :lol:

Not informing us of what is going on is a far cry from telling the American people, our allies, and North Korea that we are moving assets into a defensive posture in Asia, pushing us to "war footing" and not actually having our assets in a defensive posture at the time.

It's reasonable to not want the President to lie to us about this.

One thing to not to tell us where our naval assets are but another thing to say it is going somewhere as part of diplomacy and then it does something entirely different.  Moving the fleet in that direction escalated tensions with NK and then to learn it didn't happen is just beyond me.  

It's reasonable to leave the military maneuvers to the military.  We don't need to know everything.
This is a Trump thing, not a military thing.

We can go diplomacy a la Clinton and Obama, or we can go hard line a la Bush.

But I'm not sure I see the sense in rejecting the former out of hand while not being serious about the latter.

I agree.  But if the White House is going to announce something military, it should be truthful.
Won't be the first or last time that military meaneuvers have been obfuscated by feeding the press false stories.

Not saying that it's right, just that it is and will be again.

Our Korean allies are not laughing.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/false-narrative-on-u-s-aircraft-carrier-elicits-jeers-in-asia-1492577625

I agree.  But if the White House is going to announce something military, it should be truthful.
I'm sure you are a smart guy, but this statement isn't very intelligent.    You do know that the vast majority of the information leaked by the military intel and spy agencies is in fact misinformation?  If not, I'll tell you from experience more than half of it is.   Misinformation is far more valuable than truth.  Whether or not the misinformation is discovered as such isn't really important.  You can find leaks easier by using lies, and if you have enough lies within enough compartments everyone is confused.  This is exactly the desired effect.  The truth is pretty useless (and stupid) to put in the news.

I'm sure you are a smart guy, but this statement isn't very intelligent.    You do know that the vast majority of the information leaked by the military intel and spy agencies is in fact misinformation?  If not, I'll tell you from experience more than half of it is.   Misinformation is far more valuable than truth.  Whether or not the misinformation is discovered as such isn't really important.  You can find leaks easier by using lies, and if you have enough lies within enough compartments everyone is confused.  This is exactly the desired effect.  The truth is pretty useless (and stupid) to put in the news.
I have two comments on this.  First, yes, I'm limiting my comments to public statements by the White House to the American people. Not leaked information from intelligence organizations. To say "all military statements should be truthful" would be ridiculous.  Of course, I didn't say that, but if it sounded that way to you, please be assured that's not what I meant.

Second, I simply refuse to accept strategic advice from a man who thinks Mark Brunell deserved to be MVP. 

The faulty narrative here is claiming the Navy and White House were coordinated in a media obfuscation about the location of the Strike Group. This was about misunderstandings between the media, WH and Navy. Stupid stuff was said by the WH (misunderstanding the schedule and the approved plan), really stupid stuff was reported by the media (apparently just making things up, fearmongerin), and I hold the Navy blameless as it was their weekly press release that clued us in to the confusion: "Hey, we're following our schedule down here in Australia, but we have been extended 30 days to visit Korea." 

Users who are viewing this thread