What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NY Jet mess! (1 Viewer)

Kiddnets

Footballguy
How did the Jets go from one kick away from the AFC Championship game this time last year to the current debacle. What was once one of the top teams in the AFC a mere year ago now. Look at this mess:1. Embarassing coaching debacle with no solid replacement in sight2. Terrible GM who has been humiliated in trades and negotiations3. $60M QB who has 2 rotator cuff surgeries on the same arm - which sucked to begin with4. GM's first Pro Bowl pick makes it on the Skins5. Decimated aging and overpaid OL which reminds people of an open gate.6. Aging and brokedown Curtis Martin owed millions7. Smurf WRs that are all considered #2/#3 at best. 8. No consistent TE on the roster for yr9. A former #4 pick from a few years ago owed millions had a arthritic knee condition. 10. $30M over the cap next year11. Will lose its best DB in Ty Law who is owed $12M in 200612. Owner who cares more about Yacht racing and stadiums than the winning in the NFLGet ready JEt fans - we are about to enter another dark era - Coslet, Carroll, Kotite on deck!!!

How did the Jets go from one kick away from the AFC Championship game this time last year to the current debacle.

What was once one of the top teams in the AFC a mere year ago now. Look at this mess:

1. Embarassing coaching debacle with no solid replacement in sight

2. Terrible GM who has been humiliated in trades and negotiations

3. $60M QB who has 2 rotator cuff surgeries on the same arm - which sucked to begin with

4. GM's first Pro Bowl pick makes it on the Skins

5. Decimated aging and overpaid OL which reminds people of an open gate.

6. Aging and brokedown Curtis Martin owed millions

7. Smurf WRs that are all considered #2/#3 at best.

8. No consistent TE on the roster for yr

9. A former #4 pick from a few years ago owed millions had a arthritic knee condition.

10. $30M over the cap next year

11. Will lose its best DB in Ty Law who is owed $12M in 2006

12. Owner who cares more about Yacht racing and stadiums than the winning in the NFL

Get ready JEt fans - we are about to enter another dark era - Coslet, Carroll, Kotite on deck!!!
hold on I am still adding it up.......... :wall:

Thanks for pepping me up heading into the weekend. :( I don't think it's quite that dire, but yes, this team has some major fixing up to do to get back to prominence. Fortunately in this day and age of parity, maybe it can be done sooner rather than later.

Wasn't this team a missed FG away from the AFC title game just a year ago?Dont get me wrong. It dont bother me at all seeing that team struggle, ya seem to have the boltz number.

Last edited by a moderator:
The two biggest things they need to do are dump the GM and hire a good replacement, and hire good head coach. If they do that they can be at least respectable within 2 years. The problem is that the Jets' division is improving around them while they're declining.

C'mon Jets fans, you gotta love this, you will have yet another top 5 selection to boo at this year's NFL draft!!!!

no NFL draft is complete without Jets fans booing...

you've been rebuilding since 1969, one of these years things have to work out, right?

Cheer up Jet fans. At least you have a solid 1st round Field Goal Kicker for the next 10 years.My advice to you: Throw out everything green, including those green feety Jet pajamas, and start over. Go out and buy an old school Colts jersey. Buy a Jim Harbaugh jersey so it will look like you were a Colts fan before they drafted Peyton.You have ALL suffered long enough. As a Dolphin fan I really enjoy kicking the Jets when they are down but this is just too easy.Poor poor Jet fans.A Front Office that has no clue.A noodle armed 60 million dollar QB.Don't even have a stadium to call your own.Have Lion fans started giving you grief yet?

Cheer up Jet fans. At least you have a solid 1st round Field Goal Kicker for the next 10 years.

My advice to you: Throw out everything green, including those green feety Jet pajamas, and start over. Go out and buy an old school Colts jersey. Buy a Jim Harbaugh jersey so it will look like you were a Colts fan before they drafted Peyton.

You have ALL suffered long enough. As a Dolphin fan I really enjoy kicking the Jets when they are down but this is just too easy.

Poor poor Jet fans.

A Front Office that has no clue.

A noodle armed 60 million dollar QB.

Don't even have a stadium to call your own.

Have Lion fans started giving you grief yet?
OH YEAH! WELL..........nevermind. :kicksrock:

Cheer up Jet fans. At least you have a solid 1st round Field Goal Kicker for the next 10 years.

My advice to you: Throw out everything green, including those green feety Jet pajamas, and start over. Go out and buy an old school Colts jersey. Buy a Jim Harbaugh jersey so it will look like you were a Colts fan before they drafted Peyton.

You have ALL suffered long enough. As a Dolphin fan I really enjoy kicking the Jets when they are down but this is just too easy.

Poor poor Jet fans.

At Least Lions fans had Barry Sanders to watch for 10 years.

Poor poor Jet fans.

It's so bad I can't even have fun with it anymore. :( Best of Luck Jet fans and I really hope you don't end up with Mike Tice.

Poor poor Jet fans.

A ****-talking fest between Jets and Lions fans is truly pathetic . . . and too strange not to watch. It's like midget wrestling. :popcorn:

Now lets compare to where the Jets were last year

How did the Jets go from one kick away from the AFC Championship game this time last year to the current debacle.

What was once one of the top teams in the AFC a mere year ago now. Look at this mess:

Mediocre coach whose conservative play calling helped cost them a winnable playoff game

Terrible GM who has been humiliated in trades and negotiations

3. $60M QB who has 2 rotator cuff surgeries on the same arm - which sucked to begin with

$60M QB who needs rotator cuff surgery because his arm is about to fall off and he can't complete a pass longer than 15 yards - and that same arm sucked to begin with

GM hasn't had a pick make the Pro Bowl

Aging, overpaid OL is due to break down at any moment. The fact they made it through the season is impressive.

Curtis Martin just completed a monstrous workload that is sure to break him down and he is owed millions

Even smurfier WRs that were considered #2/#3 at best

No truly consistent TE on the roster for as long as anyone can remember.

9. A former #4 pick from a few years ago owed millions had a arthritic knee condition.

Sorry, I don't know enough about Robertson, but wasn't he considered disappointing before?

Considering what we've already said about the GM, does cap space really matter?

Didn't really have a good DB to lose

12. Owner who cares more about Yacht racing and stadiums than the winning in the NFL

Owner who cares more about Yacht racing and stadiums than the winning in the NFL

Get ready JEt fans - we are about to enter another dark era - Coslet, Carroll, Kotite on deck!!!
If you look at it the right way, you really aren't all that much worse off than you were last year. The first step is admitting you have a problem... ;)

Poor poor Jet fans.

A ****-talking fest between Jets and Lions fans is truly pathetic . . . and too strange not to watch. It's like midget wrestling. :popcorn:
LOL.Funniest thing I've read on these boards in a long time.

I wouldn't be so quick to kill Robertson. According to Henderson, if the Jets can get a 300 lb NT to line up next to him, he'll make the Pro Bowl next year. He was the victim of constant double teams, and don't forget how the Jets defense was on the field way more than any other team this year. http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-...=15&_1:col_1=15

As for the rest of the situation, the Jets future certainly looks bleak. It may be several years before they win another playoff game. On the other hand, I think if the Jets can get Mike Martz and Reggie Bush, the future would instantly become much, much brighter. That's what I'm holding out hope for right now (or rebuilding around either Vince Young or Matt Leinart).

I wouldn't call the WRs smurphs. Only Coles is under 6 feet tall and he is 5'11". They are all slow, but not smurphs.Now that Edwards is gone, the Jets need to cut loose Martin, Mawae, and Abraham to get under the cap. The defense is young and will be good next year. The offense has problems, problems, problems. The RB C.Houston can carry the load next year as long as the Jets draft O-Lineman this year.The Jags don't have a gret offense, the Bears don't have a great offense. They are both in the playoffs this year. Thats how the Jets did it last year, Good not great D and an average O.I would love it if they could cut Pennington, but I don't think they can do that and be under the cap without losing too many other players. Give Bollinger a chance next year at the job while rebuilding the line is what I would love to see.

I wouldn't be so quick to kill Robertson. According to Henderson, if the Jets can get a 300 lb NT to line up next to him, he'll make the Pro Bowl next year. He was the victim of constant double teams, and don't forget how the Jets defense was on the field way more than any other team this year. http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-...=15&_1:col_1=15

As for the rest of the situation, the Jets future certainly looks bleak. It may be several years before they win another playoff game. On the other hand, I think if the Jets can get Mike Martz and Reggie Bush, the future would instantly become much, much brighter. That's what I'm holding out hope for right now (or rebuilding around either Vince Young or Matt Leinart).
Sounds like DRob has a degenerative knee condiiton that will never allow him to reach his full potential. Certainly did not look like a difference maker this year - can't attribue it all to Ferguson leaving. Good thing TB drafted that 320 lb Somoan who couldn't even get much PT in a train wreck season.Jets will not trade up in the draft - Woody does not want to spend the money. He will not pay up for Leinart or Young while still staring at $22M due to Chad.

Why not cut Chad? If he does not show significant improvement by the draft - why not cut himn and take the monster hit in 2006. Is it really not going to be a train wreck anyway? Might as well get him off the books and bite the bullet for one year - may have to cut some decent players to suck it up butif the team can go 4-12 with them....Good news on a terrible 2006 is the first pick of the 2007 draft....QB from Notre Dame....Brady Quinn.JEt's luck is he is the next Rick Mirer instead of Montana!

Sounds like DRob has a degenerative knee condiiton that will never allow him to reach his full potential. Certainly did not look like a difference maker this year - can't attribue it all to Ferguson leaving. Good thing TB drafted that 320 lb Somoan who couldn't even get much PT in a train wreck season.Jets will not trade up in the draft - Woody does not want to spend the money. He will not pay up for Leinart or Young while still staring at $22M due to Chad.
I was as dissapointed as anyone with Robertson's play this year ("can't nobody block me"), but it's hard to evaluate the Jets pass rushers this year. They allowed the 3rd fewest pass attempts, and Robertson in particularly was constantly double teamed. Robertson played well last year with the same degenerative knee, and Bill Cowher said he was the best DT the Steelers played in '04.

Oh quit yer cryin'. In the NFL, you're never as bad or as good as people say you are. I will agree that the Jets have a subpar GM (and a generally subpar front office that was unable to accomplish its stated goals of building a new stadium and creating stability in the coaching and front office). That's the real problem here. Everything else is window-dressing. Pennington's injuries were not the fault of the front office, and every now and again, a team gets unlucky like that. The cap damage won't be so bad, since Chad will have to renegotiate now. Bradway's draft picks have been a mized bag. Moss, Jordan, and McKenzie were all good picks, but none are still with the team. Dewayne Robertson is disappointing, but he's still a high-quality DT who I think will still make the Pro Bowl. Cotcherry was a good pick, as were Adrian Jones, Brandon Moore, Erik Coleman, and Brooks Bollinger. The jury is still out on a bunch of picks, including Nugent, Justin Miller, Derrick Strait, Kherry Rhodes, Andre Maddox, Joel Dreesen, Sione Pouha, BJ ASkew and Cedric Houston, but many of them look good. Rhodes is already a starter, and Askew and Houston both looked good late in the season. And of course, this is without Jonathan Vilma, who is terrific.

Btw, for all those guys who think Moss was so great, it's worth remembering how injury-prone this guy is. He put up a great year for the Jets once too, but he is inconsistent and fragile. Lamont Jordan's departure was as much Herm Edwards' and Curtis Martin's fault as it was Bradways' - if Martin was a little less awesome last year, and if Edwards had found more time for Jordan, maybe he stays.

Anyway, the O-line did fall apart, but it also lost its two top players, the C and the LT, plus the run-blocking TE. But Testaverde and Bollinger made it look a lot worse, and teams blitzed to get pressure more than they simply got it with 4-man rushes. I don't know that the O-line is overpaid... when Mawae played, he sure seemed like he was worth every penny.

Curtis Martin will restructure or will be gone. Coles, McCariens and Cotcherry are far from smurfs. Coles is the shortest, at 5'11", and is consistently considered one of the toughest WRs in the game. McCareins and Cotcherry are both over 6'1". Coles is a regular 90-ball/year guy whom nobody thinks is a #2. Baker looked like a pretty good TE until he got hurt, and besides, lots of teams don't have full-spectrum TEs.

Way I see it, the Jets don't really have a cap problem. They will clear cap space by letting Law go, renegotiating with Martin and Pennington, and most importantly, signing Abraham to a long-term deal. But none of that will matter much either until they fix the front office, and I'm doubtful that they will.

Z-DogCan I borrow those rose colored galsses? I hope you are right but I doubt it. This franchise is diseased.

Poor poor Jet fans.

LOL.Funniest thing I've read on these boards in a long time.
Or midget Pr0n.btw, Im not a Lion fan, I only live in Detroit

That GM has put them in a very bad position imho...

WHY does he continue to keep his job?
Please see above - Our owner is more concerned with yacht races and new stadiums.

you don't like the jets? you don't like the way the front office is run? you don't like the players? there are 31 other teams you can root for. don't let the door hit you in the ###.

you don't like the jets? you don't like the way the front office is run? you don't like the players?

there are 31 other teams you can root for. don't let the door hit you in the ###.
So . . . you're saying that Bradway's a stud and they're a well-run organization? :o

Getting Chad out the door would be a great move - because of the cap it can however only be done in 2007 which still looks like an uncapped year. New Gm and HC, a few new bodies on the O/D-Lines and a caretaker QB for a few years as and the Jets might be back in business

Why not cut Chad? If he does not show significant improvement by the draft - why not cut himn and take the monster hit in 2006. Is it really not going to be a train wreck anyway? Might as well get him off the books and bite the bullet for one year - may have to cut some decent players to suck it up butif the team can go 4-12 with them....

Good news on a terrible 2006 is the first pick of the 2007 draft....QB from Notre Dame....Brady Quinn.

JEt's luck is he is the next Rick Mirer instead of Montana!
:goodposting:

Bradway is not as bad as advertised, but I'm not saying he's a good GM either. Good GM's are very hard to find.... how many good ones are there? 5, 6? As much as people want to lynch Bradway, he has drafted what looks like to me, what the CS asked for. Get me a deep threat pass catching TE for our new 2 TE set (which Hermie the Wermie abruptly stopped after the preseason) a PK, a CB/kick returner. He got Jolley (who in TC had the best hands on the team, his drops can not be Bradway's fault), a PK, who yes, was a jump, but worked out better than the FA kickers that got signed, about 7 of them, with the exception of Bironas, got a starting CB at the end of round 2 in Miller, drafted Rhodes, an awesome pick, and Houston, the forgotten piece of the Jolley trade who was a grat value in the sixth round.Given what the CS asked for, he delivered. he also signed Law, who was supposed to be the last piece, something else Edwards wanted. I could go point by point on Bradway.... he's not as bad as people think. What has me beside myself are the reports that Heimerdinger won't get any consideration. If that is true, then I want Bradway's head too.

you don't like the jets? you don't like the way the front office is run? you don't like the players?

there are 31 other teams you can root for. don't let the door hit you in the ###.
So . . . you're saying that Bradway's a stud and they're a well-run organization? :o
no.I'm saying it is what it is. If you (in general) don't like it, find another team. Otherwise, deal with it.

no.I'm saying it is what it is. If you (in general) don't like it, find another team. Otherwise, deal with it.
Are you kidding me?Why would I have to "find another team?" I have been going to Jet games for almost 30 yrs without seeing a Super Bowl appearance - I've earned the right to criticize when the team is not run well!

:boxing:

Are you kidding me?Why would I have to "find another team?" I have been going to Jet games for almost 30 yrs without seeing a Super Bowl appearance - I've earned the right to criticize when the team is not run well!

whatever dude. when you're done :cry: , those will still be your options.

In all fairness, the Jets historically are not the best run team and have routinely lost successful coaches (i.e. Parcells, Edwards). There is a reason that Belicheck refused to take the job when Parcells left- it just isn't a succesful franchise. That's not going to change unless an owner comes in and changes the focus. This is a TERRIBLE exchange for the Jets. Word has it that Edwards wasn't even asked if he wanted to leave and would have/wanted to stay had the Jets extended his contract. One game away from the AFC championship last season, this season after the team is destroyed by injuries, sell him for a 4th round pick!? It's a joke. The team is scrambling now. Another knock on the front office.

I love the players and have been a fan of a number of coaches, but the front office needs to be all in to get to the big game.

Now lets compare to where the Jets were last year

Mediocre coach whose conservative play calling helped cost them a winnable playoff game
Edwards can't go out there and hit one of those two field goals to win the game. Conservative, yes- but we had 2 chances to win the game. He can't be faulted for that.

Answer: They are the Jets.

In all fairness, the Jets historically are not the best run team and have routinely lost successful coaches (i.e. Parcells, Edwards). There is a reason that Belicheck refused to take the job when Parcells left- it just isn't a succesful franchise. That's not going to change unless an owner comes in and changes the focus. This is a TERRIBLE exchange for the Jets. Word has it that Edwards wasn't even asked if he wanted to leave and would have/wanted to stay had the Jets extended his contract. One game away from the AFC championship last season, this season after the team is destroyed by injuries, sell him for a 4th round pick!? It's a joke. The team is scrambling now. Another knock on the front office.

I love the players and have been a fan of a number of coaches, but the front office needs to be all in to get to the big game.
No, the word is that Edwards set this whole thing up, starting with bringing his wife out to KC to have dinner with Chief's GM Peterson and his wife the weekend the Jets played them, week 1..... no one had to ask Hermie anything, and now he will come off looking like some sort of victim. What a joke. The Jets should have filed tampering charges.

No, the word is that Edwards set this whole thing up, starting with bringing his wife out to KC to have dinner with Chief's GM Peterson and his wife the weekend the Jets played them, week 1..... no one had to ask Hermie anything, and now he will come off looking like some sort of victim. What a joke. The Jets should have filed tampering charges.
I know he met with him for dinner, but I heard/read differently as far as him going... interesting... just a mess IMO

Read on the Jet boards this am that Francessa said that NE Def coordinator Mangini is high on the Jet list. That would be an excellent hire IMO. Young, from a great teacher/program and would weaken a division rival.Makes a lot of sense - so of course Badaway will grab Hasslet or Meathead! :bag:

Read on the Jet boards this am that Francessa said that NE Def coordinator Mangini is high on the Jet list. That would be an excellent hire IMO. Young, from a great teacher/program and would weaken a division rival.

Makes a lot of sense - so of course Badaway will grab Hasslet or Meathead!

:bag:
Getting Mangini would be excellent. He's probably my new top candidate.

Read on the Jet boards this am that Francessa said that NE Def coordinator Mangini is high on the Jet list.  That would be an excellent hire IMO.  Young, from a great teacher/program and would weaken a division rival.

This would be fabulous. He likely won't cost all that much either.

Read on the Jet boards this am that Francessa said that NE Def coordinator Mangini is high on the Jet list.  That would be an excellent hire IMO.  Young, from a great teacher/program and would weaken a division rival.
I heard him. He basically said it is "the worst kept secret" that Mangini is THE guy that they want. Didn't know what they'd do as a plan B if they can't get him. Was speculating about how Belichik might influence him to either stay, avoid the NFC East, avoid the Jets, etc...but this part was all speculation. He believes the Pats leaked the Jets strong interest last night because everyone at the game knew of it. ( I think he was referring to press covering vs. those attending, butI'm not sure.)

Can NE block the JEts from interviewing him even though it is a HC position? Do the JEts have to wait until NE is eliminated? Reported that Hasslett was interviewed last night and Vitt will be next. Hope to God this is just window dresssing! :yucky:

Getting Mangini would be excellent. He's probably my new top candidate.
Talk about rising stock...There were a lot of NFL pundits before the season started who said that Mangini wasn't ready to be a defensive coordinator yet!

I don't know why so many people think money matters. The Jets and Woody Johnson spend a ton of $$$. That won't be an obstacle.

Poor poor Jet fans.

yeah, but at least the jets have won more than 1 playoff game ever...

I heard him. He basically said it is "the worst kept secret" that Mangini is THE guy that they want. Didn't know what they'd do as a plan B if they can't get him. Was speculating about how Belichik might influence him to either stay, avoid the NFC East, avoid the Jets, etc...but this part was all speculation. He believes the Pats leaked the Jets strong interest last night because everyone at the game knew of it. ( I think he was referring to press covering vs. those attending, butI'm not sure.)
Was listening to Fatcessa when he was talking about this. The only worst kept secret is Belicheck's disdain for Woody Johnson. He can't stand him. That is why he walked. He reccomended Groh do the same and after his one seaosn Groh took off. Imagine how the NFL would look today if Leon Hess didn't die.Woody is an ##### and the biggest problem. Basically he cost is Belicheck (if you believe the rumors), will probablly cost us Mangini (Belicheck will persuade him to go somewhere else) and got us locked into a NJ stadium for the next 99 years as well as a plan to move all operations to NJ.

That is why I told all my friends I will no longer support the Jets until there is a change in ownership. If Jet fans were smart they would walk on this twit.

Users who are viewing this thread