What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ocho to NE it's official (1 Viewer)

This should be merged with the Ocho trade speculation thread from earlier today.

The Bengals get out of paying him $3.5m they would've owed if they had cut him and get a pick (albeit a 6th rounder) for their troubles.

Guess Marvin was wrong and BB is that stupid ;)

-QG

Expect a career year for Chad. From 2003-2007 he was a top 10 fantasy wr. He hasn't lost a step folks. This will be a career year for Chad.

Expect a career year for Chad. From 2003-2007 he was a top 10 fantasy wr. He hasn't lost a step folks. This will be a career year for Chad.
I agree. Brady has made chicken salad out of chckenchit using far lesser ingredients. And if there is one thing you can say about 85, it's that the man LOVES football.

He has to be the happiest man in the NFL right now. Years of suckitude on Cincy, and now going to NE with a new deal. Good for Chad!

BB is famous for telling the story when he went to a pac 10 scouting day held at usc and #85 pulled into the parking lot with a huge Oregon State flag on the back of his car. Aparently they two hit it off bigtime and have been buds ever since.

In fact #85 is the only player in the last 10 years I can ever remember BB joking with in the press before a game.

I'm not so sure. An over-the-hill Terrell Owens came to town and made Chad Johnson seem like he was a JV player by comparison. I think Johnson's best days are behind him.

Ocho is washed up. Not really sure why they would want that cancer after dealing with Moss. Bringing Moss back would be better than Ocho.

This guy has always been overrated. Sure- he had some big stat games but his consistency has been paltry over the years. Getting tired of the "big star that just needs to play for a great organization" nonsense...

Best possible landing spot but I have no interest in him at all. He's done IMO, he was fairly invisible and unexplosive last year. He can still catch and run routes so he'll be a good NFL wr for what the Pats will use him for but those game breaking plays are gone.

Hes got plenty left in the tank. I jst want to see brady in his ear when he does not run the correct route.

New england is an enviable franchise. . . .

Best possible landing spot but I have no interest in him at all. He's done IMO, he was fairly invisible and unexplosive last year. He can still catch and run routes so he'll be a good NFL wr for what the Pats will use him for but those game breaking plays are gone.
Isn't that what they were saying about Moss when he left the Raiders?

Chad was never near Moss but Moss was dogging it and everyone knew it. Chad wasn't, he plays, he tries, he's just not near a star player anymore. He's about 4 years removed from a good year and I just don't think it's possible for him to come close to what Moss did. I think 75-1000-8 would be a great year for him IMO and close to his ceiling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chad was never near Moss but Moss was dogging it and everyone knew it. Chad wasn't, he plays, he tries, he's just not near a star player anymore. He's about 4 years removed from a good year and I just don't think it's possible for him to come close to what Moss did. I think 75-1000-8 would be a great year for him IMO and close to his ceiling.
I agree 100%. His stats & play say it all.

I agree 100%. His stats & play say it all.
All that plus the fact that Ocho is three years older than Moss was when he arrived to NE. Plus with Moss dogging it for all those years in OAK, he his legs had to be even younger and fresher!Edit: 75/1000/8 seems pretty high. I'd love to see him do great, and he definitely could, but it's too hard to tell where he could fit in in BBs system. Could honestly see him in the 30/450/3 range. Then again, he could go 80/1200/12. Hard to tell with BB and no where near the talent level Moss was at though so I'm going to go on the low side and say 50/700/4.

Last edited by a moderator:
So Mikey will trade a player that quits on his team and wants to be traded... but he'll wait a couple seasons before doing it. Fuuuuu he's a joke.

So Mikey will trade a player that quits on his team and wants to be traded... but he'll wait a couple seasons before doing it. Fuuuuu he's a joke.
and basically when all value is gone....they actually could have gotten something for him back then.

Chad Johnson and Albert Haynesworth for a 2013 5th and a 2012 6th. lol.
considering the number of high picks they have and their roster, there's a very small chance any 5th or 6th would ever make the team in the next couple years. They are worthless picks to them

Chad Johnson and Albert Haynesworth for a 2013 5th and a 2012 6th. lol.
considering the number of high picks they have and their roster, there's a very small chance any 5th or 6th would ever make the team in the next couple years. They are worthless picks to them
I think he's laughing because it's a steal....as always with this team.
He might be laughing cause he's a comedian.

Chad is definitely not the player he used to be, and, like has been said, he is very inconsistent from game to game, but with Brady throwing him the rock, he could be a borderline top 10 fantasy WR. He'll be an expensive decoy many weeks, though.

This really isn't a surprise as this has been rumored for quite awhile...the Pats really needed to add another veteran WR...they have Welker and Branch who both get it done but after that they have Edelman, Tate and Price who are all intriguing but all still big question marks...the Pats don't need Johnson to do what Moss did in 2007, if he plays around the level that Branch did last year they'll be in good shape (more than that and they'll be in real good shape)...if he does that and one of the youngsters steps up and Hernandez and Gronk pick up where they left off last year than Brady will have as many weapons as he's ever had at one time...

Chad will sacrifice his body and not display the 'alligator arms' that Moss was at times famous for. His willingness to run any route and Brady's ability to spread the ball should result in a meaningful season. I'm going to guess WR2 numbers by year's end. However, at 33 years old there's probably only a season or two worth of production remaining at that level.

Chad is still over rated at this point. He HAS lost a step. Not a ton, but he's not as fast as he was in his fantasy football prime. In my eyes, this move gives Wes Welker more value because coverage will be more focused on taking away deep balls from Tate Ocho and Branch, letting Wes roam free under neath.

The thing about Ocho is he loves the game. And he really loves the attention.

Don't be surprised if this guy seems to turn back the clock this year and comes out firing. Getting out of a bad situation will do that to a guy.

Chad is still over rated at this point. He HAS lost a step. Not a ton, but he's not as fast as he was in his fantasy football prime. In my eyes, this move gives Wes Welker more value because coverage will be more focused on taking away deep balls from Tate Ocho and Branch, letting Wes roam free under neath.
If a smurf like Branch (who has also lost a step IMO) can put up 61/818/6 with Brady tossing the ball to him last season, then what do you think Chad will put up?I will be surprised to see less than 72/950/8, and it wouldn't shock me to see 82/1100/10

If a smurf like Branch (who has also lost a step IMO) can put up 61/818/6 with Brady tossing the ball to him last season, then what do you think Chad will put up?I will be surprised to see less than 72/950/8, and it wouldn't shock me to see 82/1100/10
Now we're talkin'. If memory serves, didn't Branch do that in less than a season?

Let me clear up what I'm trying to say. I'm not saying Ocho won't surpass 1000 yards. But I think he's going to be drafted as a high end wr2/low end wr1. And with the way Brady spreads the ball, outside of Welker in a ppr, I don't think anyone is going to have fair value that matches their adp. If Ocho's adp keeps him in reasonable territory tho, I will pounce. I expect to need a 4th round pick to scoop him up tho, I'd rather grab someone else later. I don't put anything past chad, I just think he is going to be over rated.

Now we're talkin'. If memory serves, didn't Branch do that in less than a season?
I would be surprised if he hits 10 TDs- he has just never been that type of WR- only getting to double digits once in his career (and that was for 10). In his prime though he was a catch and yardage machine- a good year is more likely to be 85/1200/6 than 1,000/8.

I would be surprised if he hits 10 TDs- he has just never been that type of WR- only getting to double digits once in his career (and that was for 10). In his prime though he was a catch and yardage machine- a good year is more likely to be 85/1200/6 than 1,000/8.
Probably just splitting hairs here, but he has 66 TDs in 10 yrs or 6.6/yr; and NE should offer more TD opportunities IMO than the Bengals. However, I agree with you that double digit TDs are less likely than the 5-8 range. I'm guessing though that this is a change of scenery that will reap benefits for both the Patriots and Chad, and expect a resurgence in the twilight of Ochocinco's career. I don't view him as selfish or as a cancer, and Brady is a HUGE upgrade from what Chad has been dealing with the last 4 seasons. I won't over reach for him, but if leaguemates are hesitant to draft him, and I can get him say 25-30 WRs or so deep into a draft, I will be very pleased indeed.

A slower Chad Ocho that's lost a step is still a pretty phenomenal #3 receiver.

Now we're talkin'.

If memory serves, didn't Branch do that in less than a season?
Probably just splitting hairs here, but he has 66 TDs in 10 yrs or 6.6/yr; and NE should offer more TD opportunities IMO than the Bengals. However, I agree with you that double digit TDs are less likely than the 5-8 range. I'm guessing though that this is a change of scenery that will reap benefits for both the Patriots and Chad, and expect a resurgence in the twilight of Ochocinco's career. I don't view him as selfish or as a cancer, and Brady is a HUGE upgrade from what Chad has been dealing with the last 4 seasons. I won't over reach for him, but if leaguemates are hesitant to draft him, and I can get him say 25-30 WRs or so deep into a draft, I will be very pleased indeed.
Looks like we are pretty close- here is how I got to this preliminary conclusion

I don’t really think TO belongs here- his TD #s are just ridiculous compared to these guys and Ocho looks a lot more like them than T.O. If I took him out the projection would go up in catches and yards a bit but drop in TDs for a line of

87.8/1251.6/5.9

I love this move and will aid in the hype wherever I can so other WR's like M Austin or V Jax could get pushed back in the rankings because of Chad. Gimme that value!

I'm going to take the different spin on this one and say I think this really HURTS Welker.

Physically, Chad is not the same guy he was when he was 27...granted. But what he is (and I know people will either just agree with this or scratch their head), is intelligent. He is very mentally aware of everything he is doing. And I think that its the lack of interest from being on a dog team with numerous distractions the past few years that has taken away from what he can really do.

He IS a very good route runner and you don't need to be an all world speed guy to be successful when you run routes; especially with Tom Brady. I think Brady will really like that and Chad will be very focussed this and into games this year and will realize that this really is his SHOT at a ring...with this team...right now.

So, I see it going like this: Much like Indy, Welker becomes the guy that still ahs his day with the right matchups, much like Clark and collie and everyone else that the Colts feature in the slot sometimes. but Chad becomes Reggie Wayne. Not the fastest guy anymore, but the guy that runs the routes, goes over the middle, can move around, and Brady uses him and Chad becomes the guy that is the WEEKLY candidate to rack up the number of catches each week, the mid range TDs, the best total yards for the week. I'm not saying he will be Reggie Wayne that ends up with 170 targets and 100+ catches each years, but he can be the guy that ends up with 75-85 catches, 1000+ and 8-10 Tds.

I really expect this year to be a top WR15 season for Chad.

Man, I hate the Patriots.

Love or hate him, Ocho is a physical specimen and loves the game. He's in the best possible situation and set up to succeed. His addition to the Pats makes them a far more dangerous team on offense.....especially since the Pats cheat on a regular basis (very bitter)

Users who are viewing this thread