What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2009 DETROIT TIGERS THREAD *** (1 Viewer)

According to MLB.com's Jason Beck, the Tigers will enter the mix for free agent shortstop Rafael Furcal. A one-year deal would be ideal for the Tigers, if Furcal is willing to entertain it. However, Furcal will be the best available shortstop if he reaches the open market.
Make this happen.
In a short interview with reporters in the hotel lobby, the agent for the left-handed closer Brian Fuentes said that the Mets were indeed one of the teams interested in signing the 33-year-old Fuentes. The agent, Rick Thurman, said he planned on speaking with representatives of the Los Angeles Angels, the Cleveland Indians and the Detroit Tigers, among others, about signing Fuentes.
This too, but not before Furcal and trading for one of the Rangers C's.

Good news to see that Colorado has stated it will not re-sign Fuentes. Maybe we can sign him for a relatively cheap deal to have him as our closer going forward.
He won't be cheap, he should get the second highest contract on the relief pitcher market, which I would think would be significantly more than Todd Jones last year ($7 mil, right?). That's going to eat into a lot of a pretty thin free agent budget, not sure if it is worth it.
It's their biggest need so I have no problem going big for a good closer.
Shortstop and catcher are bigger needs and more rare commodities, if we;re going to over spend for anything I'd rather we go at one (or both) of those positions. It's easier to find good, cheap bullpen help than good, cheap catchers and shortstops.
I hope it's as easy as you say, last year it didn't look that way. :mellow:
http://baseballmusings.com/Go to the Probabilistic Model of Range Table a few blog entries down on Nov 4th, a good (short) read. Improve the defense behind the pitching and I think you'll see improvement from the pitching staff's production...just need to stop adding guys prone to giving up the long ball (*cough*KYLEFREAKINFARNSWORTH*coughcough*).

Texas has an excess in catchers, I'm hoping Dom can work some sort of Rodney + prospect arm deal for one of them, any one of them but Salty.

Furcal is more than likely a pipe dream but I'd like us to make a run at him, he'd solve a boat load of problems (true lead off hitter, move Grandy down in the order, quality glove, steals bases), I don't care if he's missed a lot of time the last two seasons we need to take some risks, not sure where else we'll find a quality SS.
Click on the same link today and scroll to the top of the Nov 5 blog entries and see just how bad we were defensively at shortstop.

For those who have not already seen this, here is another good read on how the Tigers may proceed this off-season:

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/article...sp&c_id=det

11/10/08 12:00 AM EST

Rebuilding Tigers talk temporary fixes

Promising prospects have team looking for short-term signees

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

DETROIT -- As five-year plans go, the Tigers could've done a lot worse. This offseason, more than any recently, is about the next five years.

Five years ago, Detroit entered the offseason looking for help at specific positions, but really seeking respectability after their 119-loss 2003 season. Ivan Rodriguez hit the market, and the Tigers pounced, shocking the baseball world. The Mariners put Carlos Guillen on the trade market, and the Tigers didn't hesitate. A year later, they scooped up Magglio Ordonez. Together, they became the face of a franchise revival that combined with a young core to send Detroit all the way to the World Series.

Fast-forward to this winter, and the Tigers are again coming off a last-place finish with needs to fill -- a catcher again, a shortstop and any pitching help they can get. But unlike those earlier days, their star power is already set. This offseason isn't about making a huge splash to transform a franchise into a contender. It's about making the ripples that can help get a team back there.

It's also about filling the gaps before the next young core is ready to emerge.

"I would be surprised if we're real big participants in free agency," team president/general manager Dave Dombrowski said recently. "We have a solid core of players."

Financially, the Tigers are pretty much where they're going to be. Detroit isn't looking to add to a payroll that ranked among the top three teams in baseball at around $138 million this past season. Yet with around $102 million already committed to 10 players on the 40-man roster and a handful of others eligible for arbitration, the Tigers are not heading for a huge drop, either.

That adds up to around the same payroll for this coming season. To Dombrowski, it's enough to get what the Tigers need.

"We've got plenty of finances that are attributed to our ballclub," Dombrowski said. "Now we just have to make them work better for us."

Barring a sea of change in the market, that won't include a run at the top tier of free agents. It isn't simply a matter of dollars, but also years.

With Justin Verlander a crucial part of the Tigers' plans for seasons to come, Rick Porcello not far away and others under contract for two more years, Detroit isn't expected to invest long-term contracts to bring in starting pitching. The organization invested heavily in pitching in the First-Year Player Draft, hoping to build a future bullpen with help from the likes of Ryan Perry, Cody Satterwhite and Scott Green and avoid some of the risky relief contracts that have become prevalent in the open market.

At shortstop, Dombrowski believes he could have an everyday player emerge from the farm system by 2010, whether it's Cale Iorg, Danny Worth or someone else.

In all of those areas, the Tigers appear more inclined to search for short-term help for now until their prospects are ready. With short-term contracts and flexibility a precious commodity nowadays, the Tigers are looking to maintain what maneuverability they have.

Detroit has shown some interest along with other clubs in Padres shortstop Khalil Greene, who could be dealt with one year left on his contract. Previous interest could be revived in Pirates shortstop Jack Wilson, whose contract is also guaranteed through 2009. Julio Lugo's situation in Boston with the emergence of Jed Lowrie could conceivably prompt a swap of contracts with one of Detroit's extra starting pitchers.

Although the top level of free-agent shortstops appears headed out of Detroit's sights with Rafael Furcal and Orlando Cabrera seeking longer-term contracts, the next tier on the market includes defensive options such as Omar Vizquel, Cesar Izturis, Nick Punto and Adam Everett, whose gloves could lead a general upgrade in infield defense.

Unlikely as it seems, the Tigers could yet go back to Edgar Renteria, whose 2008 season in Detroit was disappointing, but who could be a fallback option under a short-term deal with the defensively adept Brandon Inge adding range at third.

The catching market is trickier, thanks to supply and demand. Rodriguez and Boston's Jason Varitek are the top free agents, and both are expected to seek long-term contracts as they head towards their late 30's under the guidance of agent Scott Boras. The next tier includes mostly platoon catchers, such as Gregg Zaun, Michael Barrett and Henry Blanco.

The trade market for catchers centers around Texas, where the Rangers have more young backstops than they can play and a need for young pitching. The problem the Tigers face with their reported interest in Gerald Laird is that they're not as deep in pitching prospects as other clubs in the mix. If the Tigers fall short on that front, they could end up with a platoon situation, signing a veteran to work alongside and mentor catching prospect Dusty Ryan.

The same problem comes up with the Tigers' pursuit of relievers, specifically options at closer. Though stoppers such as Florida's Kevin Gregg and Oakland's Huston Street, along with potentially Seattle's J.J. Putz, are expected to draw trade interest -- all of them are eligible for free agency after next season or 2010 -- the asking price of pitching prospects is expected to again provide a challenge.

That could send the Tigers onto the market for the next tier of relievers, crafting a late-inning corps out of multiple signings. They have already shown interest in former Nationals closer Chad Cordero, who had surgery for a torn labrum in July, but could be back as soon as next spring.

It'll be a tricky market for the Tigers to navigate as they to set up a rebound season. More than 2003 or '04, Detroit's approach more resembles '05, when the Tigers passed up on the top tier of starters and closer to target shorter-term contracts and more flexibility. As it turned out, Kenny Rogers and Todd Jones were major pieces in Detroit's run to the World Series the next fall.

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Tigers are gonna trade Robertson or Willis for Juilio "#######" Lugo Boston Globe says they just need to work out the $$$). WTF is going on? Renteria is better than ####### Lugo. :lmao:

Also talk of the Rockies moving Street almost immediately and the Tigers would be in the mix there. Fuentes and Hoffman are still possibilities for the closer job but Dombrowski thinks, and I agree...they have three possible closer candidates for 2010 (fien, Satterwhite, Perry) in the system so they aren't gonna hand out a long-term deal. I think Fuentes is out and I have a feeling they'll get Trevor Hoffman which I wouldn't be too excited about. He's Todd Jones II, Electric Boogaloo.

Lugo?

LUGO?!?!

I can't believe I'm about to write this but...I'd rather have Robertson. At least he only plays once every five days or an inning or two every few games.

LUGO?!?!

;)

Pursuing Street makes me feel slightly better for the reasons The Good Doctor already diagramed.

Hoffman? Notsomuch.

Cool lets keep getting older. How dumb. I hope that #### falls through especially if its Willis they are shipping.

After setting a record for Tigers attendance to see a last place team, we get the privilege of paying more in 2009. In addition to a general price hike, there’s a second increase for “premium” games :shrug: :

http://www.freep.com/article/20081115/SPORTS02/811150371

Way to go, Mr Ilitch. Your team stunk last year and from all indications no significant help is on the way this winter, the economy is in the sewer here...great time to hit us with an increase!

I will likely be finding other uses for my entertainment dollar in 2009. It was barely worth what I was paying last year.

After setting a record for Tigers attendance to see a last place team, we get the privilege of paying more in 2009. In addition to a general price hike, there’s a second increase for “premium” games :goodposting: :

Yeah that sucks.
Way to go, Mr Ilitch. Your team stunk last year and from all indications no significant help is on the way this winter, the economy is in the sewer here...great time to hit us with an increase!
A lot less injuries and a little starting pitching will go a long way. With reduced expectations this team could be very good next year with just a few moves.
I will likely be finding other uses for my entertainment dollar in 2009. It was barely worth what I was paying last year.
If I had the money to blow on season tickets/package I would never feel guilty about spending it watching baseball at Comerica regardless of the product on the field. Nothing like taking the kids or some friends to the park and just talking and watching baseball. I think people get way too caught up in feeling they are wasting their money to watch their team if their team isn't in first place all the time...especially if they have been fans of this franchise over the past 20 years. :2cents:

After setting a record for Tigers attendance to see a last place team, we get the privilege of paying more in 2009. In addition to a general price hike, there’s a second increase for “premium” games :goodposting: :

Yeah that sucks.
A lot less injuries and a little starting pitching will go a long way. With reduced expectations this team could be very good next year with just a few moves.
Could be and if there is some early evidence that things are going to be more competitive, I am sure that tickets will be available. I'm just not so sure that I'm going to put my $$ up in January on the hopes that things are somehow better.
If I had the money to blow on season tickets/package I would never feel guilty about spending it watching baseball at Comerica regardless of the product on the field. Nothing like taking the kids or some friends to the park and just talking and watching baseball. I think people get way too caught up in feeling they are wasting their money to watch their team if their team isn't in first place all the time...especially if they have been fans of this franchise over the past 20 years. :banned:
No, I don't need a first-place team to feel it's worth it and I've been a fan since the Bird talked to the baseball back in '76. I do need to feel like there is a better than average chance I'm going to see a good, solid, exciting game, win or lose in the end. This isn't Tiger Stadium and tickets aren't $7 any more. Could be that I was just unlucky in the games I attended, but I was bored out of my skull too much of the time. The team appeared uninterested and unmotivated, lacking any discernable fire or apparent competitive spirit. I know that stuff is tough to judge from the stands and I don't pretend to know what was in anyone's mind or what their motivations might have been. I could be way off on my perceptions. I just know that too often, I walked out of there feeling like the event was a waste and it was a relief to be thru.

And maybe it's just me, but I feel fleeced to have an increase thrust upon me after the debacle of 2008. That's the same crap that finally separated me from my Lions tickets. Don't feed me a steaming plate of crap, then turn around and tell me I have to pay more next time. At least wait until your on-field product is worthy...but I guess that's one of a host of reasons that I'm not a millionaire or franchise owner. I couldn't look at myself in the mirror if I raised prices on the heels of a last-place finish.

The fans supported this last-place team with an all-time Tigers attendance record and this is the "thanks" we get.

After setting a record for Tigers attendance to see a last place team, we get the privilege of paying more in 2009. In addition to a general price hike, there’s a second increase for “premium” games :shrug: :

Yeah that sucks.
Could be and if there is some early evidence that things are going to be more competitive, I am sure that tickets will be available. I'm just not so sure that I'm going to put my $$ up in January on the hopes that things are somehow better.
If I had the money to blow on season tickets/package I would never feel guilty about spending it watching baseball at Comerica regardless of the product on the field. Nothing like taking the kids or some friends to the park and just talking and watching baseball. I think people get way too caught up in feeling they are wasting their money to watch their team if their team isn't in first place all the time...especially if they have been fans of this franchise over the past 20 years. :goodposting:
No, I don't need a first-place team to feel it's worth it and I've been a fan since the Bird talked to the baseball back in '76. I do need to feel like there is a better than average chance I'm going to see a good, solid, exciting game, win or lose in the end. This isn't Tiger Stadium and tickets aren't $7 any more. Could be that I was just unlucky in the games I attended, but I was bored out of my skull too much of the time. The team appeared uninterested and unmotivated, lacking any discernable fire or apparent competitive spirit. I know that stuff is tough to judge from the stands and I don't pretend to know what was in anyone's mind or what their motivations might have been. I could be way off on my perceptions. I just know that too often, I walked out of there feeling like the event was a waste and it was a relief to be thru.

And maybe it's just me, but I feel fleeced to have an increase thrust upon me after the debacle of 2008. That's the same crap that finally separated me from my Lions tickets. Don't feed me a steaming plate of crap, then turn around and tell me I have to pay more next time. At least wait until your on-field product is worthy...but I guess that's one of a host of reasons that I'm not a millionaire or franchise owner. I couldn't look at myself in the mirror if I raised prices on the heels of a last-place finish.

The fans supported this last-place team with an all-time Tigers attendance record and this is the "thanks" we get.
I understand most of what you say, but I would not compare the Tigers to the Lions. At least this ownership wants to win, even if they don't always do the right thing. I feel sorry for those who pay to see the Lions play.

I understand most of what you say, but I would not compare the Tigers to the Lions. At least this ownership wants to win, even if they don't always do the right thing. I feel sorry for those who pay to see the Lions play.
No, the only way I feel they are similar right now is both have increased ticket prices after poor years. I agree that the Lions are much worse-managed from the top down. Maybe I get too personal, but I dig my heels in when failure is followed by a price hike. If your product is competitive, that's a different story.

The team appeared uninterested and unmotivated, lacking any discernable fire or apparent competitive spirit. I know that stuff is tough to judge from the stands and I don't pretend to know what was in anyone's mind or what their motivations might have been. I could be way off on my perceptions. I just know that too often, I walked out of there feeling like the event was a waste and it was a relief to be thru.
You aren't alone with that feeling. I don't mind watching bad baseball and always stand by my team until the finish...as long as I still see the effort from the players. I did not see that from the Tigers and stopped watching them in mid August because of that. It looked to me like they quit, and that's my greatest beef from the 2008 season. I'm not going to go turn my back on the franchise and root for a team that was out of it at the All Star break but still fought tooth and nail until the finish (i.e. the Indians), but I'm also not going to actively root for a team that is tanking it either. At least the front office wants to provide a winning product, hopefully they're more successful in that going forward than they were in 2008. That was embarrassing.

Adam Everett?
I don't think that's a bad move. It certainly makes A LOT more sense than Julio Freakin' Lugo. Everett is widely regarded as one of, if not the, best fielding SS in the majors. True he can't hit a lick, but I'd rather have a Santiago/Everett platoon than a Santiago/Lugo. Any day of the week. At least Everett can field.

Adam Everett?
I don't think that's a bad move. It certainly makes A LOT more sense than Julio Freakin' Lugo. Everett is widely regarded as one of, if not the, best fielding SS in the majors. True he can't hit a lick, but I'd rather have a Santiago/Everett platoon than a Santiago/Lugo. Any day of the week. At least Everett can field.
if he's healthy which seems to be a big IF, I don't mind this at all.

Doctor Detroit said:
Adam Everett?
If we don't get Furcal I would want an Everett or McDonald type.
Furcal wants a long-term deal I think plus he's really broke. They need a one year option with so many SS in the minors. No sense paying really anything for a SS IMO since it really is the only minor league position of strength besides bullpen arms. Doesn't look like the Tigers are in teh bidding war for Furcal anyway but I wouldn't want him for big $$$ over three years.
Kinzer confirmed that six teams have shown interest in Furcal: San Francisco, Oakland, Baltimore, Atlanta, the Chicago Cubs and the Los Angeles Dodgers, his team of the last three seasons.

Doctor Detroit said:
Adam Everett?
If we don't get Furcal I would want an Everett or McDonald type.
Furcal wants a long-term deal I think plus he's really broke. They need a one year option with so many SS in the minors. No sense paying really anything for a SS IMO since it really is the only minor league position of strength besides bullpen arms. Doesn't look like the Tigers are in teh bidding war for Furcal anyway but I wouldn't want him for big $$$ over three years.
Kinzer confirmed that six teams have shown interest in Furcal: San Francisco, Oakland, Baltimore, Atlanta, the Chicago Cubs and the Los Angeles Dodgers, his team of the last three seasons.
Guess that Furcal one year deal to bolster his stock to a better long term deal rumor was just that, a rumor.Oh well, I am well aware of our ample MI depth in the minors and look forward to them rising up to the big league club in due time. Too bad there isn't a good stopgap on the market...

Blessed are all the turkeys this Thanksgiving...

We're all behind our baseball team

Go Get 'Em Tigers

World Series bound and pickin' up steam

Go Get 'Em Tigers

There'll be joy in Tigertown

We'll sing you songs

When the Bengals bring the pennant

Home where it belongs

Go Get 'Em

Detroit Tigers

Go Get 'Em Tigers

Go Get 'Em

Detroit Tigers

Go Get 'Em Tigers

Detroit Tigers acquire SS Jack Wilson from Piratesby Dan Graziano Thursday December 04, 2008, 12:06 PMIt seems to be the week for shortstop roulette on the Hot Stove, and the latest is that the Pirates have sent Jack Wilson to the Tigers.The teams had been in discussions for a while, but according to a person familiar with the deal, it is done. It's unclear what the Pirates get in return.In the past couple of days, the Padres dealt SS Khalil Greene to the Cardinals and the Giants appear to have signed SS Edgar Renteria. Free-agent SS Rafael Furcal sounds as if he's about to sign with the Oakland A's.
I'll wait to see who we gave up before I comment.

Detroit Tigers acquire SS Jack Wilson from Piratesby Dan Graziano Thursday December 04, 2008, 12:06 PMIt seems to be the week for shortstop roulette on the Hot Stove, and the latest is that the Pirates have sent Jack Wilson to the Tigers.The teams had been in discussions for a while, but according to a person familiar with the deal, it is done. It's unclear what the Pirates get in return.In the past couple of days, the Padres dealt SS Khalil Greene to the Cardinals and the Giants appear to have signed SS Edgar Renteria. Free-agent SS Rafael Furcal sounds as if he's about to sign with the Oakland A's.
Not so fast, my friend. Sounds like now they may be looking at Everett.

Everett >>>>>>> Wilson.

MAC_32 said:
whoknew said:
Everett >>>>>>> Wilson.
There is no way a hitter with a career 69 OPS+ is >>>>>>> than anyone, even you.

Wilson

Career .269 .312 .375 interleague .288 .322 .396Everett
Code:
Career	   .246  .298  .355 Interleague .238  .269  .333
And Wilson is probably a better fielder also. Everett:

Code:
FP	 Lgavg	  RF	lgRF.976  .973	   4.30  3.99
Wilson
Code:
FP	 Lgavg	  RF	lgRF.978  .973	   4.68  3.98
Maybe you could make an argument Everett is as good as Wilson but his career high OPS+ season is 80. Wilson has two over 100 so I'd prefer that upside.

Wilson

Code:
Career	  .269  .312  .375   interleague .288  .322  .396
Everett
Code:
Code:
Wilson
Code:
Maybe you could make an argument Everett is as good as Wilson but his career high OPS+ season is 80. Wilson has two over 100 so I'd prefer that upside.
I'm surprised to see the data suggesting Wilson is a quality defensive player, I try not to watch the Pirates too much but if I have some bats going against them I'll toggle over to that game to watch them have BP against whatever arm the Bucs are trotting out there. Wilson's not good. I'd rather have Everett's lame bat and stellar glove to Wilson's slightly less lame bat and weak glove.Besides, none of that takes salary into account. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Wilson slated to make a lot of money this year? I'll be pissed if we blow most of our available payroll on this replacement level talent.

Wilson

Career .269 .312 .375 interleague .288 .322 .396Everett
Code:
Code:
Wilson
Code:
I'm surprised to see the data suggesting Wilson is a quality defensive player, I try not to watch the Pirates too much but if I have some bats going against them I'll toggle over to that game to watch them have BP against whatever arm the Bucs are trotting out there. Wilson's not good. I'd rather have Everett's lame bat and stellar glove to Wilson's slightly less lame bat and weak glove.Besides, none of that takes salary into account. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Wilson slated to make a lot of money this year? I'll be pissed if we blow most of our available payroll on this replacement level talent.
I've never heard anyone accuse Wilson of being a bad fielder and the numbers don't suggest it but I don't watch a lot of the Pirates. Salary is a big factor and also we are talking about a one year fill here. Looks like the Dodgers may be the team so Everett will probably be the best remaining option.
The Dodgers have been involved in extensive talks this week about acquiring longtime Pittsburgh Pirates shortstop Jack Wilson, with one hang-up being his $7.25 million salary for next season, a person familiar with the talks said Thursday
Detroit also talked with the Pirates about Wilson, but the Tigers might not have enough money to make a deal unless the Pirates absorb most of his contract, said a person familiar with the Tigers' negotiations who requested anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the situation. Wilson's contract also contains a 2010 club option for $8.4 million with a $600,000 buyout.

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2008/12/6/6830...the-quest-for-r

After a week of Jack Wilson and Gerald Laird rumors that had Tigers fans feeling a bit down about this offseason, the Hot Stove may just be emanating some warmth in Detroit. And like many of the rumors that have been swirling around the Tigers this winter, this one has boomeranged back to them after being tossed away.

Writing about where Kerry Wood might end up after leaving leaving the Chicago Cubs, the Sun-Times' Chris DeLuca dropped this nugget that raised eyebrows throughout Tiger Town:

Wood is expected to land a two-year deal with a vesting option for a third year. The Mets and Detroit Tigers have shown the most interest.

Could this be true? The Tigers chasing the reliever that ESPN.com's Keith Law says is the best on the free agent market? After Dave Dombrowski said that he wouldn't pursue a top-tier closer, which he considered Wood to be? Well, now.

What changed Double-D's stance, if it has indeed changed? For one thing, Wood was originally thought to be looking for a three-year deal, but now appears to have backed off from that, perhaps after judging a loaded free agent market for closers.

And after not offering Edgar Renteria arbitration (and watching him with the Giants), apparently figuring out that they're better off pursuing Adam Everett in free agency rather than haggling over Jack Wilson's salary, while possibly closing in on a deal for Gerald Laird - all of which could save some Detroit some money - maybe the Tigers now know they can throw some money at a ninth-inning stud.

As you might expect, the Tigersosphere is beginning to get giddy over the possibilities.

• Billfer thinks Wood and a quality set-up man would fix things nicely.

• Big Al is already dreaming of Wood-related headlines.

And we can't end this post without giving kudos to TigerFaninDC, who pounded the drum for Wood (and predicted the two-year deal, plus an option) in this FanPost.
:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
An article in the Grand Rapids Press this morning listed some potential players the Tigers could sign, or acquire to fill their need at C, SS, and bullpen. Here are the names that were listed:

Catcher

Free Agents: Brad Ausmus, Paul Bako, Henry Blanco, Jason Kendall, Jason Varitek, and Gregg Zaun

Trade Bait: Kenji Johjima, Gerald Laird, Jeff Mathis, Miguel Montero, Miguel Olivo, Kelly Shoppach, and Matt Treanor

SS

Free Agents: Orlando Cabrera, Alex Cora, Craig Counsell, David Eckstein, Adam Everett, and Cesar Izturis

Trade Bait: Julio Lugo, John McDonald, Jack Wilson

Bullpen:

Free Agents: Joe Beimel, Chad Cordero, Trevor Hoffman, Brandon Lyon, Darren Oliver, Arthur Rhodes, Russ Springer, David Weathers, Kerry Wood

Trade Bait: Matt Capps, JJ Putz, George Sherrill, Huston Street, and Jose Valverde

Apparenty with all the economic worries and contract offers being cut, tigers might be back in the mix for some of the bigger names. We'll see.

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2008/12/6/6830...the-quest-for-r

After a week of Jack Wilson and Gerald Laird rumors that had Tigers fans feeling a bit down about this offseason, the Hot Stove may just be emanating some warmth in Detroit. And like many of the rumors that have been swirling around the Tigers this winter, this one has boomeranged back to them after being tossed away.

Writing about where Kerry Wood might end up after leaving leaving the Chicago Cubs, the Sun-Times' Chris DeLuca dropped this nugget that raised eyebrows throughout Tiger Town:

Wood is expected to land a two-year deal with a vesting option for a third year. The Mets and Detroit Tigers have shown the most interest.

Could this be true? The Tigers chasing the reliever that ESPN.com's Keith Law says is the best on the free agent market? After Dave Dombrowski said that he wouldn't pursue a top-tier closer, which he considered Wood to be? Well, now.

What changed Double-D's stance, if it has indeed changed? For one thing, Wood was originally thought to be looking for a three-year deal, but now appears to have backed off from that, perhaps after judging a loaded free agent market for closers.

And after not offering Edgar Renteria arbitration (and watching him with the Giants), apparently figuring out that they're better off pursuing Adam Everett in free agency rather than haggling over Jack Wilson's salary, while possibly closing in on a deal for Gerald Laird - all of which could save some Detroit some money - maybe the Tigers now know they can throw some money at a ninth-inning stud.

As you might expect, the Tigersosphere is beginning to get giddy over the possibilities.

• Billfer thinks Wood and a quality set-up man would fix things nicely.

• Big Al is already dreaming of Wood-related headlines.

And we can't end this post without giving kudos to TigerFaninDC, who pounded the drum for Wood (and predicted the two-year deal, plus an option) in this FanPost.
:goodposting:
Please let this happen.

Looks like the Tigers have a new catcher:

Link

Tigers get catcher Gerald Laird for 2 pitching prospects

Editor's note: Story updated at 3:00 a.m.

LAS VEGAS – The Tigers acquired catcher Gerald Laird from the Texas Rangers late Sunday night, fulfilling one of their major off-season needs on the eve of baseball’s winter meetings.

Detroit parted with two pitching prospects in the deal, right-handers Guillermo Moscoso and Carlos Melo.

Moscoso, 25, made a splash in the Detroit farm system this year by going 5-4 with a 2.70 ERA in 21 games (12 starts) between Class A Lakeland and Double-A Erie. His moxie and swing-and-miss fastball have earned him some comparisons to former Tigers prospect Jair Jurrjens.

Melo, 17, pitched for the Tigers’ Dominican Summer League affiliate this year. He’s known for an explosive fastball that ranges from 92 to 96 miles per hour and has also shown a promising curveball and changeup.

An official announcement is expected this morning.

The Tigers were especially reluctant to surrender Moscoso, because he’s believed to be close to reaching the majors, but their need for catching was too great for them to pass on Laird. Dusty Ryan, the only catcher on their 40-man roster, is currently batting .163 in the Puerto Rican Winter League.

Laird, 29, is regarded as a good defender and hit .276 this season. He’s been a favorite of the Detroit front office for some time and will not be eligible for free agency until after the 2010 season, so he should offer the Tigers some long-term security at the position.

Moscoso struggled recently in the Venezuelan Winter League, where he has a 2-1 record and 8.36 ERA, but his performance there is believed to be a function of his role and not an indication that he is injured. He prefers to start but has made all but one of his eight appearances out of the bullpen.

He has had shoulder issues in the past – including surgery in 2005 – but the Tigers said recently that he is healthy.

Looks like the Tigers have a new catcher:

Link

Tigers get catcher Gerald Laird for 2 pitching prospects

Editor's note: Story updated at 3:00 a.m.

LAS VEGAS – The Tigers acquired catcher Gerald Laird from the Texas Rangers late Sunday night, fulfilling one of their major off-season needs on the eve of baseball’s winter meetings.

Detroit parted with two pitching prospects in the deal, right-handers Guillermo Moscoso and Carlos Melo.

Moscoso, 25, made a splash in the Detroit farm system this year by going 5-4 with a 2.70 ERA in 21 games (12 starts) between Class A Lakeland and Double-A Erie. His moxie and swing-and-miss fastball have earned him some comparisons to former Tigers prospect Jair Jurrjens.

Melo, 17, pitched for the Tigers’ Dominican Summer League affiliate this year. He’s known for an explosive fastball that ranges from 92 to 96 miles per hour and has also shown a promising curveball and changeup.

An official announcement is expected this morning.

The Tigers were especially reluctant to surrender Moscoso, because he’s believed to be close to reaching the majors, but their need for catching was too great for them to pass on Laird. Dusty Ryan, the only catcher on their 40-man roster, is currently batting .163 in the Puerto Rican Winter League.

Laird, 29, is regarded as a good defender and hit .276 this season. He’s been a favorite of the Detroit front office for some time and will not be eligible for free agency until after the 2010 season, so he should offer the Tigers some long-term security at the position.

Moscoso struggled recently in the Venezuelan Winter League, where he has a 2-1 record and 8.36 ERA, but his performance there is believed to be a function of his role and not an indication that he is injured. He prefers to start but has made all but one of his eight appearances out of the bullpen.

He has had shoulder issues in the past – including surgery in 2005 – but the Tigers said recently that he is healthy.
:football:

I think you guys will like what Laird brings to the team if, and its a big if, he stays healthy. He is a guy that always seems to have something lingering that keeps him out on a consistant basis.

When healthy, he is an above average backstop that works well with the pitching staff. Arm is decent. He is a streaky hitter, but is pretty fast for a catcher and smart enough on the basepaths.

I love this trade for the Rangers if for no other reason that I have Laird ranked fourth out of the four Ranger catchers and really want to see them hang on to the other guys for now.

True win-win type trade.

As a Reds fan, I wanted to say congratulations and a big THANK YOU, in regards to landing Laird in a trade w/ Texas. This now means the Reds won't get him. Thank you.

As a Reds fan, I wanted to say congratulations and a big THANK YOU, in regards to landing Laird in a trade w/ Texas. This now means the Reds won't get him. Thank you.
...and this of course is why the Reds FO is a lot worse than Detroits. So :banned:
I think Laird is the kind of player that people can clearly see the good and the bad in him, so therefore if your team gets him you are glad (smart game caller, some speed, decent offense at times) and if you don't get him, you are still glad (injury risk, streaky, meh power numbers).Like I said, I am glad he was the catcher the Rangers traded, but I will continue to root for his success. The guy is a class act and plays hard every day.

The top two thirds of the batting order should still be pretty good, as long as he helps the infield defense & the pitchers it's a good move IMO.

...and this of course is why the Reds FO is a lot worse than Detroits. So :shrug:
I think Laird is the kind of player that people can clearly see the good and the bad in him, so therefore if your team gets him you are glad (smart game caller, some speed, decent offense at times) and if you don't get him, you are still glad (injury risk, streaky, meh power numbers).Like I said, I am glad he was the catcher the Rangers traded, but I will continue to root for his success. The guy is a class act and plays hard every day.
Interesting analysis, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread