What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2009 Philadelphia Eagles Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Crap, just found out about Kolb....and now you're telling me Cole is injured too?WTF.It's brutally hot out here today, so I could definitely see heat exhaustion as a factor, but come on now. This team is breaking down like an old FORD.ETA: missing out on Derrick Burgess really hurts if Cole's injury is more than they are letting on right now. They couldn't top a 5th rounder in 2010 to beat out the Pats for his services?
The Kolb injury had nothing to do with the heat - it happened early in the morning practice, and looked to be one of those things that could happen on any play. I also thought we offered a 3rd and a player for Burgess, which is higher than a 5th?
Burgess- we did offer more than a 3rd. This talk about "missing out" on Burgess is ludicrous. He had a couple good seasons and he's barely more than a role-player at this point. Sounds like more sour grapes drummed up by Eskin to the masses in an uproar. And yes, I was listing to WIP the day of the trade to hear his idiocy on the matter. Stupid rental car with no Sirius....
Are we really losing sleep over this? His production has steadily decreased each year he has been in Oakland. He had 3.5 sacks in 10 games last year and he turns 31 tomorrow. New England can have him. Theyre will be far better options I think once teams trim down to 53.As for Ingram and the panic this fanbase and local media seem to be in over not having a 2nd TE, which is ridicolous given how well Celek has seemed to grasp this system, there's a reason guys that all 32 teams let this guy slip into the 5th rd of the draft, and now obviously one week into full contact we see why. I hope he is able to come back and make something of his career.The guy I question is Shaun Andrews. The bottom line is, does the guy want to play football or not??? There isn't anythign I've seen since 2006 that convinces me that his head is in this. It's a real shame too given that he is easily the most talented O lineman I've ever seen in an Eagles uniform and I been watching this team since 1980.

Am I the only one dreading Kolb becoming the starting QB in the future? I am pretty much expecting a football dark age in Philadelphia when he gets the job and I was kind of relieved when he got injured...
The jury is most certainly still out on Kevin Kolb. I mean we have NOTHING to go by in determining his long term value as a starter. He's played a half a regular season game with no preparation against one of the league's top defenses, plus a string of preseason games with 2nd and 3rd stringers. Let's see him play with the 1st team... with a week to prepare. You might be surprised.

Am I the only one dreading Kolb becoming the starting QB in the future? I am pretty much expecting a football dark age in Philadelphia when he gets the job and I was kind of relieved when he got injured...
The jury is most certainly still out on Kevin Kolb. I mean we have NOTHING to go by in determining his long term value as a starter. He's played a half a regular season game with no preparation against one of the league's top defenses, plus a string of preseason games with 2nd and 3rd stringers. Let's see him play with the 1st team... with a week to prepare. You might be surprised.
This is all true but from what I have seen of him in preseaso games, camp, and his very slim career in regular season games I was not impressed.

This is all true but from what I have seen of him in preseaso games, camp, and his very slim career in regular season games I was not impressed.
Why don't you just leave his maturation to his QB coach, Marty and Andy Reid who actaully know what the hell they're talking about. What you seen in camp?? What does that even mean?? Do you have tape of him that you study and then correct his mistakes? Your going to judge him on preseason games with recivers and an O-Lineman that don't even make the team - Or against the Ravens in the 2nd half??? Let it play itself out, if he wasn't worthy of being the 2nd string QB then they would make a move accordingly. I'm sorry but I'm going to trust Andy Reid on what he likes about Kevin Kolb given the two QB's he's coached from the ground up are Farve and McNabb.

Anyone else here think Runyan has a chance to be the starter come opening day? Shawn Andrews still needs a shrink, and Justice is a revolving door.

Anyone else here think Runyan has a chance to be the starter come opening day? Shawn Andrews still needs a shrink, and Justice is a revolving door.
Unfortunately yesEvery day that Andrews is out is one day closer to a Runyan signing IMO
opening day is probably a stretch considering the knee surgery, but he couldn't definitely fill the void. How does King Dunlap look? would they be better off keeping one of the extra young guys and kicking Herremans out to RT if Dunlap or Justice aren't ready?

Unfortunately yesEvery day that Andrews is out is one day closer to a Runyan signing IMO
opening day is probably a stretch considering the knee surgery, but he couldn't definitely fill the void. How does King Dunlap look? would they be better off keeping one of the extra young guys and kicking Herremans out to RT if Dunlap or Justice aren't ready?
Last I checked, Runyan was still on his way to meet James Andrews to get cleared to run. He still seems a ways from playing football.Dunlap has been playing at LT from what I've seen. Justice might be servicable if Andrews cant go.

They could just move Stacy Andrews to RT and have either Cole or Jean-Gilles play RG. Those 2 seemed to hold up just fine last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I am the only one that is excited that Justice is looking good. The guy was pretty darn good in college and not every guy coming out looks like a stud right away. It is possible that he could actually bloom into a decent lineman.

I guess I am the only one that is excited that Justice is looking good. The guy was pretty darn good in college and not every guy coming out looks like a stud right away. It is possible that he could actually bloom into a decent lineman.
:thumbup: if for no other reason than because this team could use a little positivity these days. C'mon, let's be honest. How many people were ecstatic when the Eagles took Justice in the 2nd round? ;)

You are not alone. One bad game does not a career make.

Offensive line is totally hosed now - Herremans out for preseason with stress fracture in foot.

http://csnphilly.com/pages/landing_09?Eagl...&feedID=704
"totally hosed" for games that don't matter? Let's tone it down a bit...
True, as long as the four weeks is the real recovery time. It's not like we've never seen foot injuries linger.Plus, that's now another OL that you're planning on just plugging into your Opening Day lineup with little to no training camp. The OL is going to be in flux all preseason and then you're going to expect these guys to suddenly work together fine for Week 1.

Where the heck did this come from? First I have heard a peep about the Eagles having any interest whatsoever.

PFT

Then there's the shadow of Mike Vick, which looms over a handful of franchises. The Eagles have said they're not interested, but rumors persist that they're in the mix for the man who is expected (per coach Tony Dungy) to sign with a new team this week.

I'm really trying to understand why any O-line has to "work together" to be good. I hear it year after year but I always see the top lines in the league are the ones with the best players. Talent is paramount. Right?

I'm really trying to understand why any O-line has to "work together" to be good. I hear it year after year but I always see the top lines in the league are the ones with the best players. Talent is paramount. Right?
Absolutely. As long as the defense promises to rush in a straight line and not use any stunts.

Absolutely. As long as the defense promises to rush in a straight line and not use any stunts.
Cute, but that doesn't change anything. Skilled O-linemen can handle pass-rush moves and stunts. Explain to me what playing together in the pre-season does for them.

Cute, but that doesn't change anything. Skilled O-linemen can handle pass-rush moves and stunts. Explain to me what playing together in the pre-season does for them.
For the same exact reason you have mini camp, OTA's, training camp and practice prior to and during the season.....cohesion.

He's right though. NFL defenses are complex in their blitz schemes. Lineman need to have a feel for how the guy next to them reacts when men come from unanticipated directions. It isn't about technique at that point, it's about immediately adjusting on the fly as a cohesive unit. Those types of instantaneous adjustments can't be simply coached...the group needs to play together.Ever watch a play where a LB streaks through the middle of the line untouched to plaster the QB? Often with at least one O-lineman completely unengaged? More often then not...one of the lineman is a backup or new at his spot on that line when that happens. 29 plays of 30, it won't matter, and talent/training will suffice, but NFL games can turn on just 1 or 2 plays. A single sack like I just descibed can kill a drive, and cost a game. A sack easily avoided by a line who has worked TOGETHER for several weeks.

He's right though. NFL defenses are complex in their blitz schemes. Lineman need to have a feel for how the guy next to them reacts when men come from unanticipated directions. It isn't about technique at that point, it's about immediately adjusting on the fly as a cohesive unit. Those types of instantaneous adjustments can't be simply coached...the group needs to play together.Ever watch a play where a LB streaks through the middle of the line untouched to plaster the QB? Often with at least one O-lineman completely unengaged? More often then not...one of the lineman is a backup or new at his spot on that line when that happens. 29 plays of 30, it won't matter, and talent/training will suffice, but NFL games can turn on just 1 or 2 plays. A single sack like I just descibed can kill a drive, and cost a game. A sack easily avoided by a line who has worked TOGETHER for several weeks.
Playing for 10 total drives or less in 4 preseason games will matter? Do preseason games bring out complex blitz packages from defeneses? I guess I am just in the severe minority who thinks it will not matter much. Is it preferrable that they all play every snap together from the beginning of camp? Of course. Is it necessary to have a successful season? No way.

One-on-one, there's no scheme, and you don't worry about what the guy next to you is doing or the other defenders, it's man -on-man. And there are no stunts in this situation.However, the OL needs cohesion to handle stunts. they need to know who has what responsibility for rushers when they take unexpected paths, come from odd places (LB's when DE's drop into coverage, etc.) They also need to be able to grasp run-blocking schemes that involve trapping, pulling, etc.When you are on a team, everyone has a responsibility on a play. If you aren't where you should be the guys around you can't plan for what you will do. WR's have it easy - just run the right route and get int he right spot at the right time, otherwise a timing route may not work. It's pretty obvious when someone doesn't run the right route and the bal hits the ground. They don't have to be aware of 7 guys possibly getting in their face at the snap, so it's requires work with just the QB, mostly. And that's why QB & WR practice together.

He's right though. NFL defenses are complex in their blitz schemes. Lineman need to have a feel for how the guy next to them reacts when men come from unanticipated directions. It isn't about technique at that point, it's about immediately adjusting on the fly as a cohesive unit. Those types of instantaneous adjustments can't be simply coached...the group needs to play together.Ever watch a play where a LB streaks through the middle of the line untouched to plaster the QB? Often with at least one O-lineman completely unengaged? More often then not...one of the lineman is a backup or new at his spot on that line when that happens.

29 plays of 30, it won't matter, and talent/training will suffice, but NFL games can turn on just 1 or 2 plays. A single sack like I just descibed can kill a drive, and cost a game. A sack easily avoided by a line who has worked TOGETHER for several weeks.
Playing for 10 total drives or less in 4 preseason games will matter? Do preseason games bring out complex blitz packages from defeneses? I guess I am just in the severe minority who thinks it will not matter much. Is it preferrable that they all play every snap together from the beginning of camp? Of course. Is it necessary to have a successful season? No way.
No...but missing three weeks working together in practice certainly will!

Funny thing is, we'll never know if it matters or not. They could have been injury free all summer and then give up 10 sacks in week 1. Sept. 13 can't get here soon enough!

Bushead said:
Where the heck did this come from? First I have heard a peep about the Eagles having any interest whatsoever.

PFT

Then there's the shadow of Mike Vick, which looms over a handful of franchises. The Eagles have said they're not interested, but rumors persist that they're in the mix for the man who is expected (per coach Tony Dungy) to sign with a new team this week.
http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...;#entry10643929 :(

Well, clearly you've never played any o-line yourself :thumbup: It's about blocking assignments and trust and knowing when to "hand off" to the guy next to you. There's a lot of "feel" and trust involved, particularly with pass blocking.

I hoped it wouldn't come to the backups, but the Eagles have the depth. Chemistry is one thing but skill is another. I'd rather have line that is very skilled and needs to develop chemistry then one that is very familiar with eachother but aren't any good. I think that Jean-Gilles has the tools to be better than Herremans and Justice can play better than Stacy Andrews at RT. Stacy Andrews seems more and more like insurance for his brother rather than an major player.

Also, can't you simply eliminate chemistry if a player does his job? If a guy does his job and his replacement does their job, does chemistry really matter? The same thing is getting done, no? I'd rather depend on execution than teammate tendencies.

It should be interesting to see how the line does against the Pats defense and how Mays plays. I am also really excited to see all this hype on Desean Jackson translate to the field.

TheWheel said:
Also, can't you simply eliminate chemistry if a player does his job? If a guy does his job and his replacement does their job, does chemistry really matter? The same thing is getting done, no? I'd rather depend on execution than teammate tendencies.
:lmao: The blocking assignments don't change whether the 1st string or 2nd string is in there. If the guy knows his assignment, and is physically capable of handling it, chemistry doesn't mean ####. Some NFL offensive lines and have back ups come in and not miss a beat. others fall apart. It all comes down to how talented and prepared the replacement is. I think the Eagles have an above average chance of having their replacements succeed since Andy reid should have them well prepared, and they are getting plenty of reps since the injuries happened early. It's no gauruntee they'll do well but they have a better chance than most teams who have lineman get hurt IMO.

Funny thing is, we'll never know if it matters or not. They could have been injury free all summer and then give up 10 sacks in week 1. Sept. 13 can't get here soon enough!
so pumped, anyone else going down for the game? im heading down with a group of about 25

I wonder if McNabb was given the heads up before the game tonight....if not, I can smell some displeasure.

Buddy Knuckles, see ya later, don't let the door hit ya in the a**.

I feel like they had to get McNabb to sign off otherwise this has TO drama potential.

This does not have TO like implications. Vick was never a disruption to his teammates (except for the lying part) and McNabb would have to have terrible insecurity issues to think Vick was coming for his jobs. TO =\= Vick

This does not have TO like implications. Vick was never a disruption to his teammates (except for the lying part) and McNabb would have to have terrible insecurity issues to think Vick was coming for his jobs. TO =\= Vick
Thinking more the media circus but that is officially in town already.

The media will get over Vick if he keeps his mouth shut. TO never kept his mouth shut. The only way this becomes a long lasting circus is if he is really bad, really good, McNabb gets injured, or Vick starts running his mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Understandably, the Vick story is dominant right now, but wow...McCoy and Weaver looked good in that backfield tonight, and Maclin made some plays too.

A few nice offensive additions who showed they are ready to contribute this year, IMO. Add them to the core guys, and this offense could score points in bunches.

O-Line needs to stabilize, though. Some bad sacks given up tonight, and a couple bad penalties.

I wonder if McNabb was given the heads up before the game tonight....if not, I can smell some displeasure.
Why would he be displeased?He's the starter and Vick isn't going to start unless McNabb gets hurt or plays horrible and gets benched for a game.....again.If anyone should be displeased or nervous it should be Kolb.

Users who are viewing this thread