What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** 2009 Washington Redskins Thread (1 Viewer)

Sidewinder16 said:
Thank you very much for that link. ;)
Jul 30 2009 | 3:12:18 pm

WR Devin Thomas just made a spectacular one-handed catch on a throw from QB Todd Collins during a passing drill.
Another one I found interesting today:
Jul 30 2009 | 1:27:15 pm

Redskins QB Colt Brennan on his consistent over hand passes today: "At Hawaii the spread offense kind of forces you to throw from a three-quarters angle. In the West Coast offense I can go back to my natural throwing motion."

Practice is over, but Schefter just tweeted:

Good sign for Redskins: Carlos Rogers working on JUGS machine, catching balls, to make up for INTs he dropped.
Didn't we hear last year about Rogers doing extra work on catching, too?

Practice is over, but Schefter just tweeted:

Good sign for Redskins: Carlos Rogers working on JUGS machine, catching balls, to make up for INTs he dropped.
Didn't we hear last year about Rogers doing extra work on catching, too?
I don't recall if we heard it last year, but I guarantee he's worked on his catching before...and it apparently hasn't helped. He can't catch. It's that simple.

If we were just given a device name and then told to invent that device, I bet we'd come up with something very different for "Jugs Machine". :thumbup:

Orakpo signs!!!!!!! :sleep:

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Redsk...rakpo_44852.jsp

The Redskins have agreed to contract terms with top draft pick Brian Orakpo.

Orakpo is expected to join the team at training camp on Friday.

The 6-4, 260-pound Orakpo, a linebacker/defensive end, missed the first day of training camp on Thursday. The team practiced twice, once in the morning and once in the afternoon.

Orakpo was the Redskins’ first-round draft pick (13th overall) last April. At the University of Texas, he was widely regarded as one of the top defensive ends in college football.

Orakpo, playing primarily defensive end, posted 23 career sacks at the University of Texas, including 11 last year.

His sterling senior season included winning the Nagurski Trophy given to college football’s top defensive player, the Lombardi Award given to the top defensive lineman and the Hendricks Award given to the top defensive end.

Orakpo also earned All-American first-team and Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year honors last year.

With the Redskins, Orakpo is expected to play strong-side linebacker as well as defensive end.

He spent the bulk of practice time during mini-camp and OTAs learning the linebacker position.

Head coach Jim Zorn said he would not be concerned if Orakpo missed a few days of training camp as he worked out his contract.

"We were satisfied during mini-camp and OTAs that [Orakpo] was a quick learner,” Zorn said. “He took to linebacker very well. If he falls too far behind in that position, then we’ll bring him along at [defensive end] and we’ll allow him to do what he does best."

I also want to thank you guys for keeping me so up to date with everything. Living in Hawaii makes it beyond difficult to stay up to date with Redskins info and you guys always have links and news that keep me very up to date with everything that is going on.
oh the difficulties of living in Hawaii. you poor soul! :rolleyes: we're here for ya, bro :confused:can we get a FBG collection going here to get our boy off that God-forsaken island?

Last edited by a moderator:
His Contract Signed, Orakpo Takes FieldBrian Orakpo, the Redskins' first-round draft pick, signed a five-year, $20-million deal that includes $12.1 million in guarantees late Thursday, a league source said.Orakpo, who turns 23 today, was on the field wearing No. 98 when the Skins began their second day of training camp this morning.

It sounds like the players have made a considerable effort in the offseason.

Zorn bounced across the practice field, from group to group and player to player, offering quiet words of advice and direction when necessary. Gone was the barking, the marching orders, the emotional yells.

"He's more laid-back this year," quarterback Jason Campbell said. "I don't know if it has to do with guys doing the right thing, or if he just wants to enjoy this."

Zorn said the explanation is simple. After just one day, already the second-year coach can tell the team opening this year's camp is different than from his first group a year ago. Zorn recalls opening camp last July and screaming "15 or 20 times" for his players to improve their effort.

Not this year, though.

"I didn't have to say, 'Get back! Go harder! Pick the tempo up! Use a different snap count!' All of those things have been understood," Zorn said. "So all of the little things we'd been coaching hard to try to get last year and even in minicamp and OTAs, we're getting from Day One. So maybe it looks like I'm laid-back, but I'm watching intently for anything I can make a correction to."
Link

Many areas of concern will continue to be monitored daily throughout camp, including the strong-side linebacker slot and the battle at right tackle, where Mike Williams, who looked spotty in the morning session, will try to wrest the job from Stephon Heyer.

And for what it's worth, Pollin and Czaban are broadcasting from training camp each day. They started yesterday. They interviewed Adam Schefter and DeAngelo Hall at the same time. When the questions turned to Vick, Hall had more information that Schefter.

Apparently there are rumors that Vick was in Ashburn either yesterday or the day before. Hall, who clearly wanted to talk about it but couldn't, said he could "neither confirm nor deny" that story. So it sounds like the Redskins have talked to Vick.

Hall's not bad on radio by the way. 10 years from now I can see him giving Steve and Andy hell.

Orakpo impressed the coaching staff in his limited offseason work. He seemed to learn quickly, which should help the former University of Texas All-American in his transition from a hand-down rushing end into a strong-side linebacker who plays in space in coverage in the NFL.

"He's comfortable, and they [the coaching staff] think he's made an easy transition and he learns it quickly," Cerrato said. "And then in the nickel and the dime, he's going to be rushing a lot. That's his forte.

"And the other thing is that players know first whether a guy can play or not. And they like what they saw from him in minicamp. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't have a real big season, especially rushing next to Albert."
Jason Reid

"In practice and in preseason, I have to [rest him] and I will, but I'll have a hard time doing that [in games] when you have such a great running back standing there," Zorn said. "He's a tremendous running back, so he's going to get carries."
Link

Do you guys see improvement in the OL's performance this year and how do you guys think Portis will do? Will Betts get more carries?

Do you guys see improvement in the OL's performance this year and how do you guys think Portis will do?
I think/hope they'll be better than the second half of last year, but I'm not sure about the first half. The first half of the year, the OL was consistently opening holes for Portis and, at times, dominating opponents. Sure, part of that was their first half schedule which included St. Louis, Cleveland, and Detroit. But, they also looked very good against Dallas and Philadelphia and even did a decent job run blocking in week 1 against New York. By week 8, Portis had 944 yards rushing, including 5 straight games over 120 yards. He was arguably the MVP of the league. But, the second half of the season brought tougher opponents, a failing OL, and a slightly dinged Portis.IF Randy Thomas is fully healthy and resembles his old self AND Dockery fits in well AND the RT position isn't a disaster AND the unit as a whole remains relatively healthy, I think we're looking at a big year for Portis. I predicted 1300/11 rushing for Portis this year. But, honestly, I think he has an extremely high ceiling in the neighborhood of 1700/15 if those things I mentioned happen. As long he plays 16 games, his floor is probably 1200/8.
Will Betts get more carries?
Barring injury to Portis, no.

No rookie dues to be paid by Redskins LB/DE Brian Orakpo. He is comfortably working at LB with the first defense.
I like that they are throwing right in there with the first team. Gregggggggggggg would have him on the 5th team just to show him who's boss.

Brian Orakpo has shifted from working with the linebackers to working with the defensive ends. The hybrid Orakpo is expected to see action at both positions.
:pics: It's lofty expectations, but I'm hoping Orakpo can be our DeMarcus Ware or Terrell Suggs.

dgreen said:
Whiplash Inc. said:
Do you guys see improvement in the OL's performance this year and how do you guys think Portis will do?
I think/hope they'll be better than the second half of last year, but I'm not sure about the first half. The first half of the year, the OL was consistently opening holes for Portis and, at times, dominating opponents. Sure, part of that was their first half schedule which included St. Louis, Cleveland, and Detroit. But, they also looked very good against Dallas and Philadelphia and even did a decent job run blocking in week 1 against New York. By week 8, Portis had 944 yards rushing, including 5 straight games over 120 yards. He was arguably the MVP of the league. But, the second half of the season brought tougher opponents, a failing OL, and a slightly dinged Portis.IF Randy Thomas is fully healthy and resembles his old self AND Dockery fits in well AND the RT position isn't a disaster AND the unit as a whole remains relatively healthy, I think we're looking at a big year for Portis. I predicted 1300/11 rushing for Portis this year. But, honestly, I think he has an extremely high ceiling in the neighborhood of 1700/15 if those things I mentioned happen. As long he plays 16 games, his floor is probably 1200/8.
I see, thanks. What are the expectations of last year's rookie WRs? Any signs of the passing game being ready to take off some heat of the running game?

dgreen said:
Whiplash Inc. said:
I see, thanks. What are the expectations of last year's rookie WRs? Any signs of the passing game being ready to take off some heat of the running game?
That's a much more difficult question. We just haven't seen enough of Thomas, Kelly, and Davis to know anything about them. The team still seems to really like them, so I think they'll be given every chance to make an impact.I think Campbell's progression will have the biggest impact on the passing game. Regardless of how much the WRs progress, if Campbell can't make a quick decision and deliver the ball, it's irrelevant.

That's a much more difficult question. We just haven't seen enough of Thomas, Kelly, and Davis to know anything about them. The team still seems to really like them, so I think they'll be given every chance to make an impact.I think Campbell's progression will have the biggest impact on the passing game. Regardless of how much the WRs progress, if Campbell can't make a quick decision and deliver the ball, it's irrelevant.
There has been nothing but positive info coming from any and all sources regarding those 3, which is quite a turnaround from what we were hearing last year at this time.Both Thomas and Kelly have been publicly praised for their offseason work (reports say they have both been regulars at the team facilities since a week after the SB), and Kelly is actually healthy and practicing (knock on wood).Zorn mentioned in his presser the night before TC that Fred Davis' performance this offseason is "making [them] put him on the field"But all that means little if it can't translate to on field, in game production. And like dgreen mentioned, a lot of that will depend on Jason Campbell, as well as the OL.

If I had to guess: Campbell will be quicker and more decisive than last year. All 3 second-year receivers will be on the field more, especially Thomas and Davis. I expect Kelly to be intermittently hurt. I don't expect a complete O-line meltdown all at once like last year. There will be injuries, most likely to Thomas, but they'll be more spread out in time with less damaging effect. Both Portis and Betts will have increased yardage and TD totals from last year. Chad Rinehart will be stuffed in a closet and never talked about again. Orakpo will get burned by some TE's when he plays LB, but will progress and will progressively get more disruptive to offenses as the year goes along. The FG kicker will win and lose some games and will be hated. Mike Williams will at best be a backup.

There's your season. :coffee:

Just another reason to love London Fletcher:

Daniels, veteran defensive tackles Albert Haynesworth and Cornelius Griffin and second-year receiver Malcolm Kelly rested during the team portion of the afternoon practice. All of those players but Haynesworth, a newcomer who finished last season for the Tennessee Titans with an ailing knee, underwent surgery in the past 13 months.

Coach Jim Zorn asked London Fletcher to rest too, but the 34-year-old middle linebacker declined.
ETA: Also from that link, James Thrash is back with the team:
Receiver James Thrash, whose 12-year career ended with his release in June, was hired to assist with the Redskins' player programs.

Redskins coach Jim Zorn on the competition at WR: "Devin (Thomas) is ahead of Malcolm (Kelly) at this point, but Malcolm is further ahead of where I thought he'd be considering his injuries."

Afternoon practice canceled due to weather/t-storms.

Seen/heard a couple reports now saying Mike Williams has struggled these first 2 days when he's actually going against a live defender. Frank Hanrahan was on 980 this afternoon saying he thinks MW may have trouble making the final 53. :confused: Personally, I would expect him to have to knock a good bit of rust off given the time he' missed. Seems a bit premature to start writing him off the team. If he's still acting like a turnstile after the first preseason game, I'll start getting worried.

Some things never change:
In those days, the Redskins scouted players but also relied heavily on choosing their draft picks from football magazines, which featured skilled position players (quarterbacks and running backs). The Redskins used most of their top selections on these high-profile players and tended to shop for linemen after the draft.
The day of the turtle-neck is past. You're in the big leagues ...
Ash-trays are plentiful in your rooms. Be sure to use them ... not the floor. Remember: It's somebody's mother or wife who has to clean up.
:X

In the 1940s, Baugh and Todd traveled to training camp together -- Baugh drove his cattle from his ranch to the Los Angeles stockyards, and Todd, a fellow Texan, accompanied Baugh on horseback.
:confused:

This is good stuff:

I know that I would play much better football for $7000.00 than I would for $6500.00, which is only natural. I think the object of a raise is to increase the players' desire to play harder and win harder.

Seriously...awesome:

Marshall's authority was also being tested on other fronts. He and Corinne Griffith divorced in 1958, and Griffith returned to Bel Air, Calif. In post-divorce correspondence between Marshall and Griffith, the name of Harry Wismer appeared. Wismer was the original voice of the Redskins, commentating games for radio. At one point, he owned 25 percent of the franchise. Wismer told Marshall that his refusal to hire black players was bad for Wismer's investment in the team, and Wismer and Marshall's relationship ended in litigation. Wismer became a charter owner of an AFL team, the New York Titans (later renamed the Jets), after the AFL's founding in 1960, and he hired Marshall's darling, Sammy Baugh, for the head coach position. The AFL remained a thorn in the side of Marshall and other old school NFL owners until the leagues merged in 1970. Below, Marshall refers to the shareholder litigation with Wismer in a letter to his ex-wife, dated Jan. 21, 1961, just before Marshall's showdown with the Kennedy administration.

Dear Corinne:

... By this time you know Wismer is available to you for parties or anything you see fit. He is no longer connected with the National Football League or the Redskins. The suit has been dismissed so you can, therefore, forget about the question of Mr. Wismer calling on you to testify.

Everybody wonders why in the world I have to pay you any alimony knowing you are as well off as you are. It does seem ridiculous, but nevertheless that is the way you wanted it and that is the way you got it. I only hope I am able to complete the payments to your satisfaction.

In the meantime, best of luck.

Griffith responded angrily to Marshall's comment about Wismer. She wrote back to Marshall in a letter dated January 26, 1961, six days after John F. Kennedy's inauguration.

Dear George,

... I have always kept myself unspotted from any gossip because I have led as clean a life of anyone leading, and I am certain that you, above all people, know just how decent I am. So, don't say again I can do "anything with Wismer I see fit". I am not interested in Harry and Harry is not interested in me.

You are always letting your hate of Wismer ruin you. Hate always does. But Heaven knows there is no reason to hate me. When you insisted I marry you, I married you. When you insisted for years on a divorce, I divorced you. What more can you ask? And may I repeat, please get someone around you whose thinking is correct. With your ability and my right thinking you became a great success. Now you are surrounded with such degenerate, unprogressive thoughts that you are fast becoming a failure. Come on now, get your good thinking cap on and do the things you are capable of doing -- now!

And don't ever again accuse me of chasing with Wismer. To begin with I don't "chase". I am the old-fashioned type that believes in letting men chase me. Remember?

Best, Corinne

From Devin Thomas' dad, Dwight Thomas:

Dwight Thomas wasn't surprised Devin struggled with his adjustment to a new level of football because he had seen this many times before. "Throughout his little football career, I mean, this always happened," Dwight said of Devin starting slowly. "When he started in [youth] football, his first year in junior high, his first year in high school, whatever it was, he was always just a little slow to get going, just moderate."Even when he went to Michigan State, it took him to the second year to really turn things on. He learned the program, he got more familiar with the playbooks and things of that nature, and it helped his confidence. He knows the position he's in and he has matured over the past year or so. His confidence is sky high now. Given the opportunity, I think he's going to do some big things."

Redskins will be 4th in the NFC East division... although I would like them to be 2nd.Von
Picking the division is a crap shoot for about the fourth year in a row. Injuries will have a greater impact in determining the order of finish than will anything else. I agree that if you're laying odds, the Redskins probably have the highest odds to win the division (least proven QB; most questions on OL; arguably the worst or at least the least proven head coach), but truly any order of finish would not surprise me.

After practice, Jim Zorn was asked if every Redskins player had passed the pre-training camp conditioning test. Fans will recall that last year there was much ado about Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly not being able to pass the conditioning test.Zorn said there were some "close calls," but every player passed the test this year. "We had no trouble with it," Zorn said. "But we’re not jumping up and down about [some of the results]."Zorn did not single out any player except Fred Smoot. Smoot, who Zorn said also failed the conditioning test last year, passed this year with flying colors. He showed marked improvement, Zorn said. "He was right there," Zorn said, smiling. "It was great to see."
Redskins.com

There was plenty of buzz about a major hit between newly acquired defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth and Portis, but both Pro Bowlers played down the contact."We had a deal that I wasn't trying to knock him out but then he tried to, he didn't really knock me out, but I tried to avoid him and I lost my footing," Haynesworth said. "If I was not trying to avoid him I mean, of course,,I would have won, but I didn't want to hurt our star running back."

There was plenty of buzz about a major hit between newly acquired defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth and Portis, but both Pro Bowlers played down the contact."We had a deal that I wasn't trying to knock him out but then he tried to, he didn't really knock me out, but I tried to avoid him and I lost my footing," Haynesworth said. "If I was not trying to avoid him I mean, of course,,I would have won, but I didn't want to hurt our star running back."
Alpha males on the same team.

updates from today:

Aug 1 2009 | 9:48:57 amThe fans erupted at Redskins Park when OL Stephon Heyer shoved DE Andre Carter to the ground in a pass blocking drill.Aug 1 2009 | 9:52:38 amEnergetic as always, OL coach Joe Bugel loudly praised OL Chad Rinehart when he stuffed DE Philip Daniels during a pass blocking drill.Aug 1 2009 | 10:22:30 amQB Jason Campbell just connected with TE Chris Cooley for another red zone touchdown. Fantasy football owners should keep an eye out for that combo.Aug 1 2009 | 10:51:08 amThe Redskins are back to scrimmaging 11-on-11 and the defense continues to force QB Jason Campbell to check down to options three and four. He is maintaining his composure and finding the open man.

Downer.

Offensive Line In Trouble

After four practices, one in full pads, the offensive line has looked suspect. The ends have gotten around the tackles for what would be obvious sacks. The interior has let down, and on blitz packages the quarterbacks have stood little chance.

The team does not allow quarterbacks to be hit in camp, which is good. Otherwise the Redskins might be looking to sign Michael Vick just to have a quarterback that can still stand.

Andre Carter, Phil Daniels, and Brian Orakpo have looked all-pro so far. This is encouraging as it is what you want to see from your two starting ends and number 1 draft pick. But to date the line is even making guys like Chris Wilson, Lorenzo Alexander, and Renaldo Wynn look like world-beaters.

In modest defense of the starters, they have to contend with probably the most dominating defensive tackle in the league in Albert Haynesworth. So far he is looking every bit like the impact player the team thought they were getting. Also in their defense, Chris Samuels and Randy Thomas are coming back from injury, and Derrick Dockery just returned to the team after being gone for two seasons. The hope is that the unit will improve as camp progresses.

Individually the starters have looked ok. Chris Samuels has lost weight and looks quicker and more athletic. Derrick Dockery is going up against Haynesworth and losing more than his share, but this is to be expected. Casey Rabach has had a good camp so far, looking stronger than last year. Randy Thomas seems like he is getting back into playing shape, and Stephon Heyer has been by far the most impressive right tackle.

Unfortunately the unit has not played as well as the sum of its parts and the story of camp is shaping up to be the poor play of the line.

In the backups the team will find no relief. By their performance some of the backups shouldn’t even be in the league. In fact, some of them like Mike Williams haven’t been in three seasons. Williams may be a story of hope for the chronically obese, but he is getting beaten regularly by guys who are at best backups.

Backup guard/tackle Jeremy Bridges’ value is his versatility in playing multiple positions. Unfortunately he is getting beat in all of them. Chad Rinehart refuses to become the player the Redskins thought they were getting in the third round of the 2008 draft. Devin Clark has gone largely un-noticed, unless he is being victimized.

Then there are guys like center Edwin Williams, guard Rueben Riley, guard Will Montgomery, and guard D’Anthony Batiste that are either too young to expect anything from, or not getting enough snaps to judge.
For the 2009 Redskins, success on offense will correlate directly to the amount of time Jason Campbell has to throw. No offense, no matter how well designed, can be effective if the quarterback is continually pressured.

So far in this first week of camp, the offensive line has looked about as bad as it can. If the unit does not improve as the preseason unfolds, the team should scour the wire when player cuts begin to try and find help.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsi...e-ver.html#more

...Still, the offense had trouble sustaining any momentum against a defensive unit that ranked fourth in the NFL last year, and has added Haynesworth, a potentially game-changing defensive tackle. Asked about the defense, receiver Santana Moss said, "Ferocious."

"I mean, the D-line alone. I just asked the coaches, 'How we gonna deal with these guys?'"
This could be a championship defense in the making. I hope the offense can keep up.But championships have been won without an offense before.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsi...e-ver.html#more

...Still, the offense had trouble sustaining any momentum against a defensive unit that ranked fourth in the NFL last year, and has added Haynesworth, a potentially game-changing defensive tackle. Asked about the defense, receiver Santana Moss said, "Ferocious."

"I mean, the D-line alone. I just asked the coaches, 'How we gonna deal with these guys?'"
This could be a championship defense in the making. I hope the offense can keep up.But championships have been won without an offense before.
If Haynesworth continues to be as effective as he has been, he'll help to make this whole defense better. I think the offense is plenty good enough to get by if the 'Skins in fact have a top 5 defense.

Users who are viewing this thread