What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** 2009 Washington Redskins Thread (1 Viewer)

True. And it's early and it takes O-lines some time to gel, especially when it's been quite awhile since all of them played together. But I do remember how miserable they looked against top defenses last year.

That same offense wasn't helped at all when it was practicing against the #4 Defense last year. Saying if they go against a top 5 D is going to make a difference or make them better = :confused: + :popcorn: .

As pointed out, it's early and the D's always have a faster start in training camps. I'll get concerned if it continues later on in pre-season.

Couple interesting notes from today's practice:

Aug 2 2009 | 10:19:43 am

DT Albert Haynesworth has displayed amazing quickness off the ball. He is splitting double teams and creating havoc for QB Jason Campbell, who was just picked off by S Chris Horton.

Aug 2 2009 | 10:24:06 am

RB Anthony Alridge is getting some looks with the first team offense. Alridge has great speed, an attribute the Redskins have been missing in backfield for years.

Aug 2 2009 | 10:32:40 am

LB /DE Brian Orakpo was lined up at DE and showed a great burst off the line to get around TE Todd Yoder, who was left one-on-one to block the rookie.

Aug 2 2009 | 3:40:44 pm

CB Carlos Rogers (calf), WR Roydell Williams (finger), DE J.D. Slotnitsky (hamstring), DT Anthony Montgomery (injury unknown at this point) are not participating in the Redskins' afternoon practice.

Aug 2 2009 | 3:59:27 pm

LB/DE Brian Orakpo was not drafted only for his pass rushing abilities. Watching how Redskins LB coach Kirk Olivadotti is working with the rookie, his upper body strength will be utilized to stuff tight ends.

Aug 2 2009 | 4:30:15 pm

Redskins rookie DE Jeremy Jarmon has run around OL Mike Williams on two occasions. Williams could barely get a hand on Jarmon.

Aug 2 2009 | 4:34:18 pm

The first fight of Redskins camp broke out between FB Mike Sellers and DL Kedric Golston. Sellers had to be restrained by teammates as Golston walked off with his helmet.

Aug 2 2009 | 4:55:11 pm

Redskins coach Jim Zorn spoke highly of RB Anthony Aldridge after the morning practice. Aldridge responded this afternoon with two dropped handoffs and a dropped swing pass.

From yesterday's RI, Jason Reid responding to some comments that he's "been too soft on the team":

My new gig, as I see it, is to provide news about the Skins as fairly and as quickly as I can. If the Skins make poor decisions that lead to a poor on-field product, then that's what I'll analyze. If they make sound decisions and have a successful season, then that's where I'm headed.

If you want to read constant rants about everything that's wrong with the Redskins, I'm not your guy. But if/when it's time to bring the wood, I'll be there.

I'm headed out to the field now. Perhaps I'll find something to rip.
:confused: This guy's growing on me.

Injury update after the first weekend of TC:

Nicks and bruises, calves and hamstrings. But still no serious injuries.

After a pair of physical practices Sunday, the Redskins have several players dealing with minor aches and pains.

Receiver Roydell Williams injured his pinky finger catching a ball in the morning session and wore a splint in the afternoon. He underwent X-rays but results were not available and coaches didn't know the extent of the injury. Also in the morning, tight end Fred Davis bruised his shoulder, but he practiced in the afternoon with an extra pad under his shell.

In the afternoon session, Albert Haynesworth, along with other veterans, had a light practice. Haynesworth's knee was wrapped midway through practice, but Coach Jim Zorn said there's nothing to be worried about. Haynesworth was scheduled to receive a Synvisc injection in his knee, which removes swelling and protects cartilage.

Cornerback Carlos Rogers, who has a strained calf, and fullback Eddie Williams, still nursing sore hamstring, both skipped team drills for the second day in a row.

Defensive lineman J.D. Skolnitsky is nursing a pulled hamstring, and defensive tackle Anthony Montgomery's sore knee was too swollen to allow him to practice.

Receiver Malcolm Kelly had his knee wrapped in ice before leaving the field, but he said it's a precaution he takes every other practice.

:boxing: Landry's Always on the Clock:

Landry has been wearing a wristwatch during practices and games since college, he says. Though he recently had to replace the band, the watch face itself hasn't suffered any major injuries.

The metaphor, er, symbol, er, wristwatch doesn't really serve much functional purpose during practice, the third-year safety says he does usually have it set in timer mode.

"I set an alarm every five minutes," says Landry, who's rarely short on personality. "So if we're on the field for at least five minutes, when it's starts beeping, I know that it's time to go."
Never noticed this in a game. I'm guessing he hides it under a wristband.

That same offense wasn't helped at all when it was practicing against the #4 Defense last year. Saying if they go against a top 5 D is going to make a difference or make them better = :wub: + :rolleyes: .
There's a difference between a D that gives up the 4th fewest yards and "a top 5 D." I'd rather face the Skins 4th ranked D than the Titans 7th ranked D which had 13 more turnovers and 20 more sacks.But, I agree, that I'm not sure practicing against this defense is necessarily going to help the O.

WT article on Andre Carter, from yesterday. Blache quotes never disappoint. :)

"People base success on sacks alone, and that's not what it's about," said Blache, who added that Carter led the team with 16 hurries and was often just a half-step late. "We're trying to make something that's mostly an art into a science. Putting numbers to it just doesn't work. They didn't paint the Mona Lisa by numbers. They didn't paint the Sistine Chapel by numbers. Numbers are for the idiots that can't paint."

Last edited by a moderator:
"We're trying to make something that's mostly an art into a science. Putting numbers to it just doesn't work. They didn't paint the Mona Lisa by numbers. They didn't paint the Sistine Chapel by numbers. Numbers are for the idiots that can't paint."
This is great stuff. :lmao:

"We're trying to make something that's mostly an art into a science. Putting numbers to it just doesn't work. They didn't paint the Mona Lisa by numbers. They didn't paint the Sistine Chapel by numbers. Numbers are for the idiots that can't paint."
This is great stuff. :lmao:
:goodposting: :lmao: Love Blache. He's a coach I'd love to play for.

I love Blache, too, and his quotes. However, there are numbers for the aspects of the game he refers to, such as pressures and hits. So, numbers are still good. You just have to look at the right numbers and understand what you are looking at. And, lo and behold, here are a couple of recent articles from ProFootballFocus.com:

Beware the Use of Sack Statistics

Pass Rushing Productivity

Separate thread started about this:

Devin Thomas Seems to Be Close to Z Role

I promised myself I would not write about Devin Thomas today because we've written a ton about him already and we aren't even a week into training camp.

But while speaking to people I trust in the organization last night, three separate sources praised Thomas for his improved approach. They told me he has been attentive in his position group meetings, works hard in drills and knows the playbook, three things that could not be said about him as a rookie last season.

Barring injury or regression, they said, expect Thomas to be the starting Z receiver, or flanker, opposite top wideout Santana Moss, the X receiver, or split end. They said it is clear that's the direction the coaching staff would prefer to go, which would enable the Skins to move last year's No. 2 receiver, Antwaan Randle El, to a full-time slot receiver role.

We've previously written that appeared to be the team's plan, so it's not my aim to present this as shocking news or a scoop of some sort. It's merely an update on a player whose performance is expected to be among the keys to the season. What did surprise me, however, was that informed guys all praised Thomas without me asking about him. I guess the kid really is serious about this season.
That's great to hear.From the ARE pov, could this help improve his PR production?

I promised myself I would not write about Devin Thomas today because we've written a ton about him already and we aren't even a week into training camp.

But while speaking to people I trust in the organization last night, three separate sources praised Thomas for his improved approach. They told me he has been attentive in his position group meetings, works hard in drills and knows the playbook, three things that could not be said about him as a rookie last season.

Barring injury or regression, they said, expect Thomas to be the starting Z receiver, or flanker, opposite top wideout Santana Moss, the X receiver, or split end. They said it is clear that's the direction the coaching staff would prefer to go, which would enable the Skins to move last year's No. 2 receiver, Antwaan Randle El, to a full-time slot receiver role.

We've previously written that appeared to be the team's plan, so it's not my aim to present this as shocking news or a scoop of some sort. It's merely an update on a player whose performance is expected to be among the keys to the season. What did surprise me, however, was that informed guys all praised Thomas without me asking about him. I guess the kid really is serious about this season.
That's great to hear.From the ARE pov, could this help improve his PR production?
I've said for a couple of years that ARE could/should be another Wes Welker. This is nothing but good news for him as he's tailor made for the slot role, not as a #2 matching up against better CB's.

I hope we never find out. I never want to see him return a punt ever again as a Redskin.

nittany :lmao: fatness

Congrats your invite into Ultimate Survivor, bro!!!

Good Luck!!!

I'll be pulling for you until we wind up in the same League...then you become just another guy trying to knock me off my Throne!

:lmao:

http://www.homermcfanboy.com/2009/08/03/sa...ness-in-orakpo/

samuels sees greatness in orakpo

Category: redskins — b murf @ 8:45 am

photos by Brian Murphy

It’s quickly apparent to anyone who has attended the Washington Redskins’ 2009 training camp that linebacker Brian Orakpo is not your typical rookie.

While most college kids look out of place and hesitant as they adjust to the speed and tempo of the NFL game, Orakpo is seemingly leaps and bounds ahead of the standard learning curve, which is noteworthy because he’s still in the first week of his first professional training camp.

“You know, I’ll tell you, this young kid is going to be awesome at this level,” said offensive tackle Chris Samuels. “I’m working against him and he beat me a few times out there. I’m just trying to get back into the groove of things and he’s coming out fired up as a young pup. He’s going to be awesome, and I tell you what – I’m definitely glad to be working against him. He’s definitely going to help me get better.”

Wait a minute. We’re talking about Chris Samuels, a six-time Pro Bowler. And here he is, telling us that some rookie who just signed his first NFL contract less than a week ago is already so good that he’s making Samuels step up his game

“Oh, definitely, I’ve got to step it up,” he said. “Any time you go against anyone out here, they’re pros so you’ve got to step it up, but like I said, he’s definitely good. He’s going to be a great one. I compare him to DeMarcus Ware already, with his speed, quickness and power. He’s a tough guy.”

Normally we’d take offense to Samuels comparing a Redskin to a Dallas Cowboy, but Ware did lead the league with 20 sacks a year ago, so we’ll let it slide. And on top of that, Samuels is on record saying Ware is one of the toughest matchups he faces in the NFL.

From there we opted to get a second opinion, if for no other reason than to make sure the heat wasn’t affecting Samuels. We decided to hit up the player we felt most qualified to evaluate Orakpo thus far – London Fletcher. Not only is he a fellow linebacker, but he’s also the quarterback of the defense. If Orakpo is truly worthy of such lofty comparisons, Fletcher would know.

Hey London, Chris Samuels is already comparing Orakpo to a young DeMarcus Ware. What say you?

“Well, Chris’ assessment fits pretty well,” he said. “Obviously he’s faced DeMarcus many times.

“Personally he reminds me of Leonard Little, my teammate back in St. Louis,” Fletcher said. “They both have the same body types. They’re both about 6-3, around 250 lbs. and could rush the passer like crazy. He definitely reminds me of Leonard, and that’s a guy who has had a great career.”

So you’re saying he doesn’t really look like a rookie out there, does he?

“Yeah,” Fletcher said. “He’s got a lot of natural ability, so he’s come in and made the transition smoothly to linebacker. And when he’s had the opportunity to rush the passer, which he’s known for, he’s done great at that too. He’s definitely making the transition very well.”

You mentioned him playing linebacker and rushing the quarterback as a defensive end. The team is already asking him to play multiple positions and piling a ton of responsibilities on him, but he seems to be handling everything they throw at him. Is that actually the case?

“Yeah, that’s the case,” he said. “I’m sure when they did their due diligence on him, he showed the ability to handle a lot of responsibility. Otherwise they wouldn’t have given him so much so early. But he has a great work ethic and he’s a hard-working kid. He’s humble and he’s very talented, and when you add all of those things together, it can’t help but lead to success for you.”

DeMarcus Ware? Leonard Little? We didn’t want to talk to anyone else because we were afraid someone would call him the next Lawrence Taylor. We decided to head straight to the source and talk to University of Texas product, himself.

Okay, everyone we talk to says you’re already ahead of the game and that you don’t even look like a rookie out there. What’s really going on, man?

“That’s just how I am,” Orakpo said. “I’m just a hard-working guy who studies the game, loves this game and doesn’t want to use that excuse of being a rookie. You know, they’ve put a lot of responsibility on me, they’ve thrown me into the fire, and I’ve got to respond. That’s what everyone should be doing – they’ve got to study and make sure they know what they’re doing. Everybody’s going to make mistakes, so do it while giving 100 percent.”

We hear you, but you just got here and they’re already asking you to fill three or four different roles. Honestly, the only way we can tell you’re even a rookie is because you don’t have a logo on the side of your helmet yet.

(Laughs). “Yeah, I know,” he said. “It’s kind of crazy, but you gotta earn that Redskin on your helmet, man.”

Which is cool for you, since you were a Redskin in high school, right?

“Exactly,” Orakpo said. “You know we personified ourselves after the Washington Redskins and did everything exactly like they did. Then I went to UT and now I’m back to being a Redskin again.”

Seemingly every time we see you in one-on-one drills, you’re lined up against Samuels, a six-time Pro Bowler. What can you get out of working day-to-day with a guy like that?

“Oh yeah, I can take away a lot,” he said. “He’s somebody I’ve admired and look up to because he’s one of the best offensive tackles in the league. He’s Pro Bowl caliber, and I get to go against him each and every day in practice. It’s not only going to help him, but it’s going to help me because when I’m going to be seeing other tackles in the league, they’re not going to be anywhere near what he is.”

Well, normally veterans don’t have much in the way of kind words for rookies, but he told us that you remind him of a young DeMarcus Ware. You’re from Texas. You know how good Ware is. What does it mean to you to hear something like that?

“That’s a huge compliment, especially coming from him,” Orakpo said. “Like you said, veterans do not like to give praise to rookies. For him to say that … that’s just a huge compliment and I really appreciate it. I’m just out here working each and every day, trying to get better.”

So have any of the veterans done any hazing or anything like that, yet? Have you gotten to sing your college fight song or anything fun like that yet?

“Nah, nah, it’s been kind of chill,” he said. “I’ve been carrying a couple helmets, but that’s about it.”

And that might be the ultimate sign of respect. Not only are they raving about Orakpo, but the veterans aren’t even messing with him like a typical rookie. Instead of hazing the youngster, they’re comparing him to the best the NFL has to offer. Clearly, bright days are ahead of the young linebacker and he’s more than ready to make a name for himself … just as soon as he gets that logo on his helmet.
See you guys later. I'm going to start looking for a jersey.

I heard on ESPN980 that Haynesworth isn't practicing due to a hurt knee. I don't have any details on how bad it is.

I heard on ESPN980 that Haynesworth isn't practicing due to a hurt knee. I don't have any details on how bad it is.
http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=293278Redskins DT Haynesworth's knee problem not serious

By JOSEPH WHITE (AP) – 52 minutes ago

ASHBURN, Va. — Albert Haynesworth's knee kept him from a full practice for the second straight day, forcing him and the Washington Redskins to play their best defense against any cause for alarm.

"It's not serious," Haynesworth said as he walked off the field following Monday's workout. "If I had to play today, I could play today."

The centerpiece of the Redskins' offseason acquisitions — with a contract that includes an NFL-record $41 million in guaranteed money — Haynesworth was off to a good start over the first few days of training camp until he required an injection to insert fluid into his left knee. He was mainly an on-field spectator Sunday and Monday.

"We're just trying to keep his knee, which is sore from the all the work we've been doing, just trying to make sure we don't have to shut him down completely for more than a day or two," Washington coach Jim Zorn said.

Haynesworth said he has been receiving similar injections for several years to help him get through the rigors of training camp. He said the injections are not related to the sprain in the same knee that caused him to miss two games late last season with the Tennessee Titans.

"It gets me more lubricant around the knee, and it's fine," Haynesworth said. "You do it at the beginning of the season, and it's fine."

Haynesworth never managed to start 16 games in a regular season in his seven years with the Titans. Zorn said he is expecting Haynesworth to play all 16 with the Redskins, but the coach also said the 350-pound defensive tackle will get some time off during games.

"I fully expect him to go as much as he can," Zorn said. "He's not going to play 70 plays a game. He's going to play a percentage."

Haynesworth was asked if he will practice Tuesday.

"Hope so," he said. "I need all the work I can get."

Also Monday, receiver Roydell Williams had surgery on a broken left pinkie. A plate was inserted in his hand, and he will be out for "weeks," according to Zorn. Williams has been contending for a roster spot as a possible No. 5 receiver.

Everything I read was that it's not serious. But, of course, that didn't stop Dukes and Lavar from going ahead and predicting Haynesworth only playing in 10 games this year and labeling him as "injured" already. It was either listen to that or Andy and Steve discuss whether Zorn and Campbell would be here next year. :nerd:

http://twitter.com/Dhall23

Via D. Hall's Twitter:

Yesterday (8/2) -

Ok Everybody my announcement will be in by the beginning of the week! It does sort of have something to do w/MV but not totally!..stay tuned
Today (8/3) -
Just finished afternoon practice...Huge announcement coming soon!...stay tuned!
MV? Michael Vick? More Veggies? Here it comes...sit on the edge of your seat, like the rest of us.

http://twitter.com/Dhall23

Via D. Hall's Twitter:

Yesterday (8/2) -

Ok Everybody my announcement will be in by the beginning of the week! It does sort of have something to do w/MV but not totally!..stay tuned
Today (8/3) -
Just finished afternoon practice...Huge announcement coming soon!...stay tuned!
MV? Michael Vick? More Veggies? Here it comes...sit on the edge of your seat, like the rest of us.
it's MeAngelo's ######

Everything I read was that it's not serious. But, of course, that didn't stop Dukes and Lavar from going ahead and predicting Haynesworth only playing in 10 games this year and labeling him as "injured" already. It was either listen to that or Andy and Steve discuss whether Zorn and Campbell would be here next year. :rolleyes:
of course they're going to say it's not seriousthis is the risk you run when you overpay for 1 guy. instead of building a DL like the vaGiants - with 7-8 well-paid solid players - our FO continues with this failed strategy of putting all eggs in one basket. this guarantees that 1 injury = catastrophe

buster c said:
dgreen said:
fatness said:
Everything I read was that it's not serious. But, of course, that didn't stop Dukes and Lavar from going ahead and predicting Haynesworth only playing in 10 games this year and labeling him as "injured" already. It was either listen to that or Andy and Steve discuss whether Zorn and Campbell would be here next year. :goodposting:
of course they're going to say it's not seriousthis is the risk you run when you overpay for 1 guy. instead of building a DL like the vaGiants - with 7-8 well-paid solid players - our FO continues with this failed strategy of putting all eggs in one basket. this guarantees that 1 injury = catastrophe
He's not that overpaid. Also considering the additions they have made this year I would say this has been the best offseason they have had in a while.

buster c said:
dgreen said:
fatness said:
Everything I read was that it's not serious. But, of course, that didn't stop Dukes and Lavar from going ahead and predicting Haynesworth only playing in 10 games this year and labeling him as "injured" already. It was either listen to that or Andy and Steve discuss whether Zorn and Campbell would be here next year. :rolleyes:
He's not that overpaid. Also considering the additions they have made this year I would say this has been the best offseason they have had in a while.
every offseason is "the best" - we dominate the NFL offseasons yet again!

buster c said:
dgreen said:
fatness said:
I consider it the best in awhile because yes they spent money on Haynesworth, but it's spending money on a solid player who should also make the guys around him better, particularly Carter. They also spent some draft picks getting some young defensive guys in so hopefully our DLine will start to go the direction of the Giants.It's ok to not hate the owner, but sometimes it seems you will just hate on whatever move the FO makes just because you hate the ownership. I'm all for criticizing them when they deserve it but this year they seemed to take some strides into making better moves.

It's ok to not hate the owner, but sometimes it seems you will just hate on whatever move the FO makes just because you hate the ownership. I'm all for criticizing them when they deserve it but this year they seemed to take some strides into making better moves.
:lmao: BusterC - You make a lot of good points, but your distain for the ownership blinds you and slants your input too far a lot of times. I don't agree with everything they do and as most armchair QB's, feel I know better at times myself. I've said it before, I'd rather have Danny boy than Mr. Brown in Cinci anyday. We could be bad and still NEVER make an attempt to getting better. Again, don't agree with the method that we try to get better all the time, but at least they make the attempt. You may not realize it or even try to do it, but you do come across as someone who isn't happy if they do nothing or if they do everything...can't win for lossing.Your point about the Giants DL & $$$ is weak. Up until a year ago, they paid two of their DL mch more money than the others...Strahan and Osi. The difference is that they have depth and it shows even better now since one of their star DL's retired. I agree with you that any team that puts a lot of money into a player takes a risk, if that player gets hurt. That is the crux of the issues with the salary cap in that more money is tied up into a few players, which causes the lack of depth across the roster as more minimum salary type players have to off-set the bigger payroll players.

For those concerned about DT Albert Haynesworth's knee after it was report he received an injection yesterday to relieve some discomfort, he is on the practice field in full gear and moving around just fine.

LB/DE Brian Orakpo is working on a sled with the LBs. On his first day of practice he looked awkward attacking the sled, today he looks a seasoned vet.
I have a feeling this guy's going to be really good.

I consider it the best in awhile because yes they spent money on Haynesworth, but it's spending money on a solid player who should also make the guys around him better, particularly Carter.
Both offensive and defensive players have commented so far on how this is happening. Haynesworth is collapsing the O-line, winning most of his battles (against Dockery I think), drawing extra blockers, and letting the other d-linemen into the backfield.

I consider it the best in awhile because yes they spent money on Haynesworth, but it's spending money on a solid player who should also make the guys around him better, particularly Carter.
Both offensive and defensive players have commented so far on how this is happening. Haynesworth is collapsing the O-line, winning most of his battles (against Dockery I think), drawing extra blockers, and letting the other d-linemen into the backfield.
Yep, so far all indications are that this is NOT Stubblefield pt 2. :yawn:

LB/DE Brian Orakpo is working on a sled with the LBs. On his first day of practice he looked awkward attacking the sled, today he looks a seasoned vet.
I have a feeling this guy's going to be really good.
There does seem to be an electricity surrounding that we haven't felt for awhile. Not to say he was a bad, but Landry didn't have the positive reviews like RAK is getting...surely not as early either. Something just feels right about him and we might be luckier than we thought when he slipped to the #13 spot. It would be nice to have one of those players that people (of the 12 teams before) look back at and say "I wish we would drafted him instead" or "why didn't we draft him, he's a stud/beast?"Let's hope it's not just hype, but that it's the real thing. So far, he and everything about sure does look good though.

Aug 4 2009 | 11:20:47 am

"We had a very physical practice today. We focused on goal-line situations and whenever you get that many guys bunched together you will get some dings," Redskins coach Jim Zorn said.

Aug 4 2009 | 11:32:08 am

Injury updates from Redskins coach Jim Zorn: OL Stephon Heyer (knee - needs to be evaluated), OL Mike Williams (groin), C Casey Rabach (calf), WR Roydell Williams (finger surgery - out 4-6 weeks).
Looks like Roydell will be out of the WR mix.If Heyer and Williams are sitting I wonder who is getting the RT reps.

"We had a very physical practice today. We focused on goal-line situations and whenever you get that many guys bunched together you will get some dings," Redskins coach Jim Zorn said.

Injury updates from Redskins coach Jim Zorn: OL Stephon Heyer (knee - needs to be evaluated), OL Mike Williams (groin), C Casey Rabach (calf), WR Roydell Williams (finger surgery - out 4-6 weeks).
Looks like Roydell will be out of the WR mix.If Heyer and Williams are sitting I wonder who is getting the RT reps.
Most likely Bridges, since he can play G or T. Not a great start for the group and although it is early, I'm sure the power's to be might be getting slighly nervous. Not sure why they haven't enterained the thought of Levi Jones, unless he wants mucho denero.Yeah, Roydell is going to have a tuff time now. Even if he has the physical gifts advantage to the others, he's not going to be out there going through the reps. More importantly, showing how he can help on special teams.

Probably Bridges. Hopefully Heyer's eval turns out ok. Its crazy to say it, but this oline could ill afford to lose him at this point.

John Keim's Studs and Duds:

Studs

Backup centers. Will Montgomery and Edwin Williams both look pretty decent. Montgomery has worked with the second unit all camp, but Williams looks techinque sound, especially in the one-on-one battles. His hands are in tight; his balance is sound, enabling him to react well. And, might get ribbed for saying this, but he's got a good butt. Allows him to anchor well. Montgomery sets well. Both had good mornings.

DE Brian Orakpo. In the one-on-one drill, he beat Chris Samuels with a spin move to the inside. That's enough for him to be placed in this category. Now, what does he do when his first move is stopped? Haven't seen that yet. And can he make that move in traffic? Don't know. But so far so good.

RT Jeremy Bridges. Still not sold on him at all, but he did a decent job on two blitz pickups against the No. 1 defense. But I'm not going overboard on him, mainly because we later saw him lunging and falling to his left on a goal-line block attempt.

LB Robert Henson. Had a nice pop on RB Marcus Mason. But Henson later got picked by the TE and allowed a completion to the back.

S Michael Grant. Drilled WR Marko Mitchell, drawing oooh's from the crowd.

Duds

RT Stephon Heyer. Before he bruised his knee, he allowed an inside pressure to DE Renaldo Wynn, who would have nailed Jason Campbell (who completed a deep ball to Antwaan Randle El on the play. But in a real game? it's a sack). Heyer hasn't looked bad, but he still needs to show better getting out at linebackers. Heyer whiffed on one attempt.

OG Rueben Riley. Rookie DE Jeremy Jarmon slapped him around on two occasions during one-on-one work. The first time he slapped him away en route to the inside and on the next one he did the opposite.

DE Rob Jackson. Got stopped twice by Devin Clark. Jackson flashed early in camp; haven't noticed him as much lately.

QB Jason Campbell and Chase Daniel. During a drill in which the QBs throw to a net with three targets on it, both of them hit the target on only two of seven throws.

DE Brian Orakpo. In the one-on-one drill, he beat Chris Samuels with a spin move to the inside. That's enough for him to be placed in this category. Now, what does he do when his first move is stopped? Haven't seen that yet. And can he make that move in traffic? Don't know. But so far so good.
I assume we "haven't seen that yet" because nobody is stopping his first move? We hear every day about how he's running around Samuels. Then again, I remember hearing things like that about Lavar early in camp and then there wasn't a ton of production in real games.

:cry:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp...tory?id=4375838

Haynesworth back at practiceComment Email Print Share Associated Press

ASHBURN, Va. -- Washington Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth returned to practice Tuesday after missing two days for treatment on his left knee.

Haynesworth

Haynesworth received an injection to insert fluid in the knee, a procedure he said has become routine for him in recent years to help fight the wear and tear of training camp. Still, his absence was buzz-worthy news around the Redskins, who this year signed the two-time All-Pro defensive tackle to a contract that includes an NFL-record $41 million in guaranteed money.

Coach Jim Zorn said the knee issue wasn't serious and should not affect Haynesworth's ability to play a full 16-game schedule.

"Haynesworth practiced and did great," Zorn said. "He's just fine, perfect -- no worries."

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

It's ok to not hate the owner, but sometimes it seems you will just hate on whatever move the FO makes just because you hate the ownership. I'm all for criticizing them when they deserve it but this year they seemed to take some strides into making better moves.
:lmao: BusterC - You make a lot of good points, but your distain for the ownership blinds you and slants your input too far a lot of times. I don't agree with everything they do and as most armchair QB's, feel I know better at times myself. I've said it before, I'd rather have Danny boy than Mr. Brown in Cinci anyday. We could be bad and still NEVER make an attempt to getting better. Again, don't agree with the method that we try to get better all the time, but at least they make the attempt. You may not realize it or even try to do it, but you do come across as someone who isn't happy if they do nothing or if they do everything...can't win for lossing.

Your point about the Giants DL & $$$ is weak. Up until a year ago, they paid two of their DL mch more money than the others...Strahan and Osi. The difference is that they have depth and it shows even better now since one of their star DL's retired. I agree with you that any team that puts a lot of money into a player takes a risk, if that player gets hurt. That is the crux of the issues with the salary cap in that more money is tied up into a few players, which causes the lack of depth across the roster as more minimum salary type players have to off-set the bigger payroll players.
thayman & biz:I appreciate the respectful observations and strive myself to limit my bile to the FO/players (the subjects of the thread) and not to my fellow posters - not all of whom observe the same limitations. but mostly this is a good crew.

of course, I realize how my postings get perceived (Larry Michaels would call me a "hater" but he's a buffoon who belongs in a cartoon). I have a deep philosophical divide with how the owner operates and perhaps it is because I came of age under the JKC regime when he was one of the most respected owners and the current guy is a punch line. he's spending money, for sure, but as long as he continues to take the role of 'a football man' this team will only win on a fluke.

finally, and for the record, I generally am happy when they "do nothing" so I bolded the biz comment that contains this misinformation. my favorite seasons under the current ownership were 2001 (Marty's team and they tore-down more than built-up the squad) and the 2004 team - also, as I recall, a minimalist offseason from a player-acq perspective. 2004 is when Gibbs came back and #21 was a rookie and the D is what I am hoping for this season: lights out.

From Ryan O'halloran:

Before the full 11 on 11 team work, the offense spent time on quick slant routes.
Hopefully this work produces something. Campbell, for whatever reason, has been the suck at slant routes.
S Kareem Moore continues to have a good camp -- two more interceptions.

busterc :hot: nittany

By Jove, I couldn't have said it better myself.

buster, are you sure you're not my alias? I mean, I'm in lock-step with you on every single point, and at Age 41, born into a family that has had Season Tickets since 1937 when the 'skins moved here from Boston, it sounds like we share a viewpoint based being a part of the same era of Redskins Culture.

Outstanding reply, my good man. Well done.

fatness :rolleyes: nittany :hot: dgreen

Well, fatness, looks like dgreen has joined us in The Ultimate Survivor Contest...

Best of luck...until we cross paths, of course!

...but if you want to increase the liklihood of that occuring, you might want to opt out of League 11!

Just sayin'... ;)

fatness :hot: nittany ;) dgreenWell, fatness, looks like dgreen has joined us in The Ultimate Survivor Contest...Best of luck...until we cross paths, of course!...but if you want to increase the liklihood of that occuring, you might want to opt out of League 11!Just sayin'... ;)
:lmao:I really have no idea what it is. I got a PM invite and joined one with a draft date that works best for me. I'm really not familiar with this contest at all. We'll see how it goes. I'm sure my 10 minutes of prep work will lead to big :rolleyes: .

busterc :hifive: nittanyBy Jove, I couldn't have said it better myself.buster, are you sure you're not my alias? I mean, I'm in lock-step with you on every single point, and at Age 41, born into a family that has had Season Tickets since 1937 when the 'skins moved here from Boston, it sounds like we share a viewpoint based being a part of the same era of Redskins Culture.Outstanding reply, my good man. Well done.
nittanylion, it's good to have the approval of one so highly respected and connected. when you have thoroughly infiltrated Redskin Park and ousted current leadership, I'd like to be your VP of Football Ops :football:

Pre-season fluff, but Jarmon sounds like a good kid...hope he can play in a year or two...

linky

Jeremy Jarmon had planned to spend part of his summer in France, working on his language skills with an eye toward a second degree. Instead, he's at Redskins training camp in Ashburn, seeing some time on the third-string defensive line and learning special teams play with an eye toward an NFL career.

Any regrets? Well, he had already paid for the trip. But an NFL salary will make up for that.

"I was working toward a second major, theater, and I was going to be taking some photography and video classes over there," said Jarmon, who speaks French well but not fluently -- yet. He'd like to find some cafes where he could practice the language. He plans to join one of the NFL's continuing education programs so he has "something to do when I leave the complex." He's already met Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and he hopes to meet his Tennessee senators as well.

In other words, he's a typical NFL rookie.

He's also a smart, confident young man. Vinny Cerrato says so. Danny Smith says so. And Jeremy Jarmon says so, too. Nothing wrong with that. When you lose your senior season of college eligibility over a failed drug test, scramble to enter the NFL supplemental draft, sign with the Redskins two days before camp and arrive in Ashburn with no minicamps and no OTAs on your résumé, confidence is going to be a big help.

"I gave [Redskins officials] my word that I'd come in, I'd catch on to everything extremely fast and I would be able to contribute as much as I can," Jarmon said after a recent morning practice, carrying his own pads and those of veteran Andre Carter as part of his rookie duties. "I think initially they thought that may have been a little unrealistic but I think that right now I'm in the beginning phases of changing their minds and showing them I'm going to be able to contribute some way this year."

It's been a year of highs and lows for the defensive end. As a junior, he helped lead Kentucky to a Liberty Bowl win in January, but experienced some discomfort in his shoulder. While he was inactive, he took a supplement to help him remain lean, but forgot to clear it with the strength and conditioning staff. By the time he did, it was too late. He tested positive for a banned substance after a random test, which meant losing a year of eligibility -- essentially ending his college career. Jarmon graduated in May with a political science degree, then received word that his appeal was denied. After consulting with the staff at Kentucky, he decided to enter the supplemental draft. But he admits the positive test left him a bit rattled.

"It kind of took a little confidence away that I had," he admitted, "in a sense where I thought I could go out and I could make decisions on my own as a 21-year-old adult based on the fact that I'm a smart guy and I know the difference between what's right and wrong."

He moved to Nashville and worked out for several teams, including the Redskins. Cerrato, the executive vice president of football operations, along with defensive line coach John Palermo and director of player personnel Scott Campbell, took him to dinner; they liked what they saw. After a trip to Aspen to meet with owner Daniel Snyder and Coach Jim Zorn, Jarmon became the team's first-ever supplemental pick. What did they see that led them to give up a third-round pick in the 2010 draft? "There was a lot of things," Cerrato said. "First thing was, we liked the film, we liked the way he played. Second thing was, he was very intelligent, he'd already graduated. He was a solid kid. . . . Everybody liked him as a guy, we knew he would fit with our guys."

Jarmon worked with the third-team defense Tuesday, at his usual defensive end position and also -- for the first time -- at tackle. He believes he has already surprised his coaches and Redskins officials, and Cerrato agrees.

"I think one of the other things that impressed me was that he could pass the conditioning tests right away," he said. "He'd been drafted two weeks prior and he passed the conditioning tests right away."

Jarmon, listed at 6 feet 3 and 277 pounds, is at the right weight, but says the strength and conditioning staff wants to "reposition" some of his bulk to make him more top-heavy. He's hoping for some playing time on the defensive line but knows he'll see more action on special teams. Right now he's working with the punt and kickoff teams and both return teams, something he hasn't done since high school.

Smith, the special teams coordinator, said Jarmon has some hard work ahead of him.

"He is a confident kid, you know, and he's a good kid . . . but we just got him," said Smith, who added that it's too early to tell where Jarmon will end up among the special teams units. "He's working extremely hard and I'm sure he's happy with his work process but he has so much to learn. And I don't mean that in a negative sense; it's just that he wasn't with us in the offseason. . . . We just got him a week ago, so he missed all of our OTAs, the minicamp, all that kind of stuff. His effort has been outstanding but he has a lot of work to do to catch up. But he's definitely headed in the right direction."

Like everyone else, Smith is already impressed with Jarmon's work ethic and quick mind.

"The thing that is very positive about a kid like him . . . he does get better as the practice goes on, which really proves that he is a quicker study," he said. "Hopefully that will continue on a daily basis. Sometimes that happens for three or four days and then you run into a wall and maybe that won't happen with him. He definitely gets better as he repeats the plays and hears corrections and comments."

Because he moved to Northern Virginia right after the July 16 draft, Jarmon had time to look around the area and has decided where he'd like to live once camp breaks and he can leave the mandatory team hotel.

"I'm really interested in the Reston area, I really like the Town Center area," he said, adding with a grin, "Lot of young people, lot of places for me."

Jarmon was born in Fort Knox, Ky. His parents were both in the Army. He moved to Tennessee when he was 4 but the die was cast; he wanted to go to Kentucky from that time and never wavered. He loves it there but thinks he'll make his offseason home in this area. The combination of area universities and politics makes it a perfect spot.

All that's lacking is a bit of French conversation. That should be easy to solve as well. Perhaps he can follow the formula that worked at Kentucky.

"I stayed in international dorms on campus so it was easier for me to really pick up on things," he said. "There were three French girls I was really close with, when we'd go out, we'd always speak in French, so I speak that really well."

I told you he was a smart kid.

In other preseason fluff news that I am buying hook line and sinker, last year's 7th rounder Chris Horton is also impressing in camp. Thomas and Davis have also so been constantly mentioned in favorable ways. Sounds like the drafting at Redskins Park has gotten pretty good.

Here's some clips of the Horton article

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...9080302675.html

Redskins' Horton Is Ready to Start

By Rick Maese

Washington Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Safeties coach Steve Jackson considers the Washington Redskins defensive backs to be ardent students of the game, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that during their spare time, some players have started studying film of the New York Giants, their Week 1 opponent.

"It's what I love about these guys. When the season -- it's over -- they don't just shut it off. It's part of them," Jackson said. "They would like nothing more than to put that Riddell on every day of the year, all day long. Walk around, drive their car to and from work, do it all with that helmet on."

]But what has Jackson and other coaches especially excited is the development of their soft-spoken second-year strong safety. The continuing education of Chris Horton, though, calls for a new classroom this training camp.

A year later, when it comes to football, the two(Doughty) are perfect study partners. They talk technique, formations and coverages year-round.

"We have very similar personalities," Doughty said. "We're very meticulous, we're very analytical, we want to know how the defense works -- not just what our job is. So we have the same mind-set, and we get along great."

Doughty said even during the offseason, the two talk or text message at least once or twice a week. For example, Doughty distinctly remembers Horton getting in touch with him one day during the offseason, reminding him the Denver Broncos have a new head coach.

So in the weeks and months before their Nov. 15 game against the Broncos, Horton thought they also should study some film of the New England Patriots, where Josh McDaniels formerly coached.

"From the day he got here, you could tell he wanted to do everything right," Doughty said. "He was never just trying to get by."

A year ago, Horton had no choice but to outwork others. As a seventh-round pick, nearly an afterthought in the draft, no one knew whether he'd even earn a roster spot. Before long, though, he proved to be the only one of the team's 10-player draft class to contribute significantly.

While Horton's enthusiasm raised eyebrows when he arrived as an unheralded safety out of UCLA, coaches are even more impressed this year, after he spent the offseason watching film, studying coverages and picking his coach's brain on how he could improve.

Though Horton's role in the defense and in the locker room won't significantly change this season, coaches do anticipate a slow shifting of responsibilities in the near future.

"He's what I'd consider a football-savvy guy," Coach Jim Zorn said. "He really likes to play, he understands the concepts. The guys around him notice that, and I suspect that at some point soon, things will flip, and he'll be one of the real leaders on this team. So I have real high expectations of him, as I know he does of himself."

"Nothing is guaranteed," Horton said. "I was named the starter, but you got to come out here and always play every day like your back is against the wall, like you're always striving for something. That's the only way I know how to play."

Users who are viewing this thread