What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2011 Carolina Panther's Thread (1 Viewer)

Listening to that yesterday made me want to throw up in my mouth a little bit. Typical Panther brass and their :hophead:

Highlights from Marty Hurney interview.

* Clausen going to get a chance to play. They are not giving up on him.
Sure they aren't. Gotta keep his "trade value" up there. :lol:
I agree, RN. The best case scenario is for Clausen to come out guns ablazing in the new offensive structure. It will be interesting to see how he does with the new offense. Supposedly, he is working hard in the offseason and wants to redeem himself in year two in a more vertical passing game. The better he does will give Cam more time to learn and understand the offense, but also learn how to read and adjust to defenses. If Clausen does a 180, he would likely bring good trade value. Heck, trading Charlie Whitehurst to Seattle gave the Chargers a 3rd round pick in this year's draft and moved them up 20 spots in the 2nd round of the 2010 draft. Not too bad for a QB who saw very little action.I think it would be wise for CAR to pursue FA QB Derek Anderson. Anderson knows Chudzinski's offense and he showed good results in 2007 with Cleveland (29 TD passes). Adding Anderson to the mix would be a relatively inexpensive acquisition. He can compete with Clausen and Newton for the starting role in 2011. Chances are, not many teams will be gunning for Anderson. Carolina should be able to get him rather easily.

'Jeff Haseley said:

I agree, RN. The best case scenario is for Clausen to come out guns ablazing in the new offensive structure. It will be interesting to see how he does with the new offense. Supposedly, he is working hard in the offseason and wants to redeem himself in year two in a more vertical passing game. The better he does will give Cam more time to learn and understand the offense, but also learn how to read and adjust to defenses. If Clausen does a 180, he would likely bring good trade value. Heck, trading Charlie Whitehurst to Seattle gave the Chargers a 3rd round pick in this year's draft and moved them up 20 spots in the 2nd round of the 2010 draft. Not too bad for a QB who saw very little action.I think it would be wise for CAR to pursue FA QB Derek Anderson. Anderson knows Chudzinski's offense and he showed good results in 2007 with Cleveland (29 TD passes). Adding Anderson to the mix would be a relatively inexpensive acquisition. He can compete with Clausen and Newton for the starting role in 2011. Chances are, not many teams will be gunning for Anderson. Carolina should be able to get him rather easily.
What's he doing exactly? He doesn't have a play book yet, so I wonder what he's working on.

'Jeff Haseley said:

What's he doing exactly? He doesn't have a play book yet, so I wonder what he's working on.
Prior to the lockout, Clausen was spending a lot of time watching film - being the first one in to the facility and the last to leave. I do believe he did receive his playbook. He was one of the players who entered the facility on the day the lockout was briefly lifted. I'm assuming he got his playbook then - because coaches were definitely passing them out. Newton received his as well.

'Jeff Haseley said:

Prior to the lockout, Clausen was spending a lot of time watching film - being the first one in to the facility and the last to leave. I do believe he did receive his playbook. He was one of the players who entered the facility on the day the lockout was briefly lifted. I'm assuming he got his playbook then - because coaches were definitely passing them out. Newton received his as well.
Odd....Gross was on 610 last week and said he didn't think anyone had the new play book. He didn't. Can the players share their play books with those that don't have them or is that not allowed?

Last edited by a moderator:
'Jeff Haseley said:

Odd....Gross was on 610 last week and said he didn't think anyone had the new play book. He didn't. Can the players share their play books with those that don't have them or is that not allowed?
Yes. The players can share. I heard a story about one rookie getting a play book and then getting a copy/fax to one of his fellow rookies.

Steve Smith wants to be traded to either Oakland or San Diego... According to the "league Source"

My link

Any thoughts? What can we expect in return, what do these teams have that they can part with, that we need?

Steve Smith wants to be traded to either Oakland or San Diego... According to the "league Source"

My link

Any thoughts? What can we expect in return, what do these teams have that they can part with, that we need?
If they trade with Oakland, maybe we can get a few first round picks. Davis is probably the worst in all the NFL at evaluating talent and what to get in return. People abuse him every year it seems.

I don't like Cam Newton. I'll be rooting against him. But he has a lot of talent and can definitely give coordinators problems a year or two down the line when he limits his turnovers. He could be a really good pick for the Panthers, and if they didn't take him at #1 they weren't going to get him.

Not sure who his receivers will be, though. How much can a team run when the defense doesn't respect the pass? Being in NFC South doesn't help, either.

As a Carolina fan, you're just looking for some glimmers of hope for the future. Good chance you'll find some.

My link

If they trade with Oakland, maybe we can get a few first round picks. Davis is probably the worst in all the NFL at evaluating talent and what to get in return. People abuse him every year it seems.
Oh definitely, the Raiders are never shy to give up picks. They already traded next year's 2nd to NE, so the best we can hope for is a 3rd.

Cam gets a very apt mentor.

Excerpt from Peter King's MMQB

Remember Ken Dorsey? Big career at Miami (Fla.) a decade ago, with some limited success as a (mostly) NFL backup quarterback. Interesting that he just finished eight days working with the first pick in the draft, Carolina quarterback Cam Newton, and they'll be back at it again today in Bradenton, Fla.

There's a good reason Dorsey and Newton have become workout and classroom partners. In 2001 and 2002, Dorsey, at Miami, was coached by Hurricane offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski. In 2007 and 2008, Dorsey, with the Cleveland Browns, was coached by Browns offensive coordinator Chudzinski.

Newton was able to get a Carolina playbook, with Panthers offensive coordinator Chudzinski's encyclopedic offense, to take with him during the lockout. Dorsey spent last week instructing Newton in the finer points of the offense, in addition to telling him the expectations and coaching methods of Chudzinski.

"The best way to describe it,'' said the quarterback coach who readied Newton for his pre-draft workouts, George Whitfield, "is it's like an old pilot grooming a new pilot to take over his plane. The old pilot's teaching him about every one of the controls in the cockpit.''

It sounds smart and valuable. Compared to the other highly drafted quarterbacks, Newton ought to be as advanced as he can be when the lockout ends. How important will that be? We'll see, because there's going to be a tremendous amount of pressure on the Panthers to play Newton early.

Cam gets a very apt mentor.

Excerpt from Peter King's MMQB

Remember Ken Dorsey? Big career at Miami (Fla.) a decade ago, with some limited success as a (mostly) NFL backup quarterback. Interesting that he just finished eight days working with the first pick in the draft, Carolina quarterback Cam Newton, and they'll be back at it again today in Bradenton, Fla.

There's a good reason Dorsey and Newton have become workout and classroom partners. In 2001 and 2002, Dorsey, at Miami, was coached by Hurricane offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski. In 2007 and 2008, Dorsey, with the Cleveland Browns, was coached by Browns offensive coordinator Chudzinski.

Newton was able to get a Carolina playbook, with Panthers offensive coordinator Chudzinski's encyclopedic offense, to take with him during the lockout. Dorsey spent last week instructing Newton in the finer points of the offense, in addition to telling him the expectations and coaching methods of Chudzinski.

"The best way to describe it,'' said the quarterback coach who readied Newton for his pre-draft workouts, George Whitfield, "is it's like an old pilot grooming a new pilot to take over his plane. The old pilot's teaching him about every one of the controls in the cockpit.''

It sounds smart and valuable. Compared to the other highly drafted quarterbacks, Newton ought to be as advanced as he can be when the lockout ends. How important will that be? We'll see, because there's going to be a tremendous amount of pressure on the Panthers to play Newton early.
In the words of John Clayton, "If Newton cannot beat out Claussen from the word go then you really have to question the logic of the Panthers"

I like gettis and lafell to be very solid wrs for the cats.....i think this team will be a little surprising this season. Im calling 6 wins. Newton will live up to the hype

My link

:fishing:

There's obviously a new sheriff in town. No complaints with anything that has gone down this week in the Queen city.

Might not need another WR running two TE wishbone set.

Anderson, Davis, Beason locked up for 5 years.

There's obviously a new sheriff in town. No complaints with anything that has gone down this week in the Queen city.Might not need another WR running two TE wishbone set.Anderson, Davis, Beason locked up for 5 years.
Its pretty obvious that Richardson had the inside track on how the new CBA would go down. He positioned the Panthers the best out of anyone in the NFL. He looks like a genius now.

Loving how we are approaching free agency. It's always good to see the players who have put in the time for the organisation rewarded. Getting Olsen will really open up our passing attack in the seams where it has been so weak in recent years.

I love what the team has done in FA, but the Cam Newton pick still pisses me off. With two Shockey and Olsen instead of Rosario and King, a healthy backfield and O-line, I'm convinced Clausen could win with this team. AJ Green or Patrick Peterson would look great with that group. If Newton succeeds, it isn't as much because of his superior skills, its because the team is surrounding him with the tools to succeed whereas they left Clausen out to sink.

My link

:fishing:
Now hearing from reliable sources who work in the organization, that Steve Smiths family (Wife and Kids) want to stay in Carolina. And Staying is now a stronger option..

Cam may not have much sway with Smith, but seems his wife and kids do ;) .. as they should..
:popcorn:

I love what the team has done in FA, but the Cam Newton pick still pisses me off. With two Shockey and Olsen instead of Rosario and King, a healthy backfield and O-line, I'm convinced Clausen could win with this team. AJ Green or Patrick Peterson would look great with that group. If Newton succeeds, it isn't as much because of his superior skills, its because the team is surrounding him with the tools to succeed whereas they left Clausen out to sink.
Clausen got a raw deal but his physical ability isn't even in the same league as Cams. I say that as a guy who was deadset against Cam as the pick. I was worried about his head and heart a bit. I think he has proven his head is on right. He has impressed me so far. We'll see about the heart soon enough. And let's face it Clausen, if he is lucky, may some day be good Jake. Cam can be a lot more than that.

There's obviously a new sheriff in town. No complaints with anything that has gone down this week in the Queen city.Might not need another WR running two TE wishbone set.Anderson, Davis, Beason locked up for 5 years.
Yeah Richardson has delivered. Locking up our developed talent and going after talent we need to win. Spending over 150 million so far and counting. This looks like it will be a great offense for a young QB. Solid tight ends, solid WRs, and the best RB tandem in the league. If the O-line gets back on track this team could be far better than it looked to be at the end of last season.And as someone mentioned Richardson looks like a genius at this point. It sucked for us but what he did put this team in a position to be successful for a long time.

You sure aren't giving Cam a chance in the slightest, but being that you are a Notre Dame fan I can understand your bias towards Jimmy Clausen. If Newton succeeds, it very much could be because of his skills, but no matter who is behind center, Jerry finally opening up the piggy bank to better the team will help the QB.

Yeah Richardson has delivered. Locking up our developed talent and going after talent we need to win. Spending over 150 million so far and counting. This looks like it will be a great offense for a young QB. Solid tight ends, solid WRs, and the best RB tandem in the league. If the O-line gets back on track this team could be far better than it looked to be at the end of last season.And as someone mentioned Richardson looks like a genius at this point. It sucked for us but what he did put this team in a position to be successful for a long time.
Richardson caught a lot of flack from critics during the CBA, but he is well respected among his peers, and unique in that he isn't only a NFL owner, but he is also a retired NFL player. Here is a news clip on him from a few months ago...
"Since the Panthers joined the NFL, Jerry Richardson has been one of the league's most influential owners, frequently bridging any gaps among the ownership groups on various issues," New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft said in a statement when asked about Richardson's role. "His unique background as a former NFL player and successful businessman helps form a perfect personality to co-chair the owner's negotiating committee. Anyone who has ever heard Jerry speak at the owners' meetings knows that he has reverent regard for the players in this league. He has the full support of the other owners in the NFL who remain hopeful that we will reach an agreement with the players' union by March 4." Also, New York Giants co-owner John Mara said Richardson is one of the most respected owners in the league, according to the Charlotte Observer, and Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said, "He is one of the most effective leaders I have ever known because he is one of the best communicators I have ever been associated with."

I think Cam is the huge question mark here. They could have snagged Sidney Rice to help but instead kept Williams. I'm in a start 2qb dynasty and I have 1,2,5 picks. Right now Cam is looking like that 2 pick.

I think Cam is the huge question mark here. They could have snagged Sidney Rice to help but instead kept Williams. I'm in a start 2qb dynasty and I have 1,2,5 picks. Right now Cam is looking like that 2 pick.
Williams? How did keeping Deangelo stop them from getting a WR? (Rice)

It sucked for us but what he did put this team in a position to be successful for a long time.
He did put the team in a great position to succeed in the future, but I don't like how he handled last season at all. He gave the team and coach poor chances to succeed, and that bothered me. It's like he threw the season, but none of the other owners did. The players played hard, but that just shows their high character and their will to win and play hard for then coach John Fox. The dagger was when Richardson sent out that letter near the end of the season to PSL owners (behind Fox's back) apologizing for the miserable season (which he in fact helped cause). It's over with now, but as a fan it was bothersome that he purposely put out a struggling product.

Richardson caught a lot of flack from critics during the CBA, but he is well respected among his peers, and unique in that he isn't only a NFL owner, but he is also a retired NFL player. Here is a news clip on him from a few months ago...
"Since the Panthers joined the NFL, Jerry Richardson has been one of the league's most influential owners, frequently bridging any gaps among the ownership groups on various issues," New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft said in a statement when asked about Richardson's role. "His unique background as a former NFL player and successful businessman helps form a perfect personality to co-chair the owner's negotiating committee. Anyone who has ever heard Jerry speak at the owners' meetings knows that he has reverent regard for the players in this league. He has the full support of the other owners in the NFL who remain hopeful that we will reach an agreement with the players' union by March 4." Also, New York Giants co-owner John Mara said Richardson is one of the most respected owners in the league, according to the Charlotte Observer, and Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said, "He is one of the most effective leaders I have ever known because he is one of the best communicators I have ever been associated with."
Regardless of how much flack he was given, he has still put his team in a good situation financially. They have already made several big moves this last couple days and they still have money to spend. The team is pretty ripe with talent on the offensive side (save wr) and they have retained key players on the defensive side long term. The team is relatively young, and looking like a team on the way back up.I can't wait to see what other moves they make..

Clausen got a raw deal but his physical ability isn't even in the same league as Cams. I say that as a guy who was deadset against Cam as the pick. I was worried about his head and heart a bit. I think he has proven his head is on right. He has impressed me so far. We'll see about the heart soon enough. And let's face it Clausen, if he is lucky, may some day be good Jake. Cam can be a lot more than that.
Cam clearly has superior physical ability, no doubt. As a QB, currently I prefer Clausen, especially now that there are TEs in Carolina with hands. Clausen throws a far better seam route than Cam. Clausen given a fair chance could be Orton, with a ceiling of Brees. Cam given a fair chance could be Vince Young, with an upside of Big Ben and a ceiling of Steve Young. I understand why the move was made, though I'd have stuck with Clausen, filled a need in the draft and picked up Luck next year if the situation allowed for it. Luck has a realistic shot of being Elway.

You sure aren't giving Cam a chance in the slightest, but being that you are a Notre Dame fan I can understand your bias towards Jimmy Clausen. If Newton succeeds, it very much could be because of his skills, but no matter who is behind center, Jerry finally opening up the piggy bank to better the team will help the QB.
I'll give him some credit. But if this team rockets from 2 wins to 6 under Newton this year, I will pretty much be of the belief that they would have won at least 5 with Clausen. Not putting Newton down as much as I am saying they let this franchise sink last year and Clausen is getting an unfair shake because of it. Yes. Full disclosure, I am a ND grad and Clausen fan.

It sucked for us but what he did put this team in a position to be successful for a long time.
He did put the team in a great position to succeed in the future, but I don't like how he handled last season at all. He gave the team and coach poor chances to succeed, and that bothered me. It's like he threw the season, but none of the other owners did. The players played hard, but that just shows their high character and their will to win and play hard for then coach John Fox. The dagger was when Richardson sent out that letter near the end of the season to PSL owners (behind Fox's back) apologizing for the miserable season (which he in fact helped cause). It's over with now, but as a fan it was bothersome that he purposely put out a struggling product.
Apparently Richardson had had enough. He was tired of Fox not playing or developing young talent. He was tired of no back to back playoff years. According to some reports they had already decided Fox's fate the year before but with the lockout staring them in the face they held pat. I think last year was all about this lockout and the opportunity it presented. They cleared the decks of dead money. They got rid of people who needed to go. They hoarded cash to be ready when the dust settled. So yeah last season sucked for fans but it was brilliant business.

Apparently Richardson had had enough. He was tired of Fox not playing or developing young talent. He was tired of no back to back playoff years. According to some reports they had already decided Fox's fate the year before but with the lockout staring them in the face they held pat. I think last year was all about this lockout and the opportunity it presented. They cleared the decks of dead money. They got rid of people who needed to go. They hoarded cash to be ready when the dust settled. So yeah last season sucked for fans but it was brilliant business.
Richardson used Fox, the team, and the PSL owners last season for greener pastures in the future. The PSL owners should have been given a blue light special discount being that they were paying for a low cost product, but instead they got a ticket increase. Fans that watch on tv didn't feel the pain that the fans who have season tickets did.

Cam clearly has superior physical ability, no doubt. As a QB, currently I prefer Clausen, especially now that there are TEs in Carolina with hands. Clausen throws a far better seam route than Cam. Clausen given a fair chance could be Orton, with a ceiling of Brees. Cam given a fair chance could be Vince Young, with an upside of Big Ben and a ceiling of Steve Young. I understand why the move was made, though I'd have stuck with Clausen, filled a need in the draft and picked up Luck next year if the situation allowed for it. Luck has a realistic shot of being Elway.
Clausen has so many problems. Starting with the hanging deep ball. Then we can move to that incredibly long windup, you simply can't do that and stay upright. He doesn't play well with his back to the defense. If we go West Coast Clausen may have a chance as it limits deep throws and leans on short fast throws. But if we stay a play action team he simply hasn't shown the tools to be successful.

Richardson used Fox, the team, and the PSL owners last season for greener pastures in the future. The PSL owners should have been given a blue light special discount being that they were paying for a low cost product, but instead they got a ticket increase. Fans that watch on tv didn't feel the pain that the fans who have season tickets did.
I agree with the PSL and ticket price argument. But outside of that, I believe the right thing to do for the team was done in 2010. They were ready to make changes, and logistically, that worked out best for them. Sucked for Fox, but he's not our coach anymore. Time to move forward, and we're looking to be in good position to do so.

Oh yeah I understand PSL owners being very upset and don't blame them at all.

Clausen has so many problems. Starting with the hanging deep ball. Then we can move to that incredibly long windup, you simply can't do that and stay upright. He doesn't play well with his back to the defense. If we go West Coast Clausen may have a chance as it limits deep throws and leans on short fast throws. But if we stay a play action team he simply hasn't shown the tools to be successful.
He had a banged up o-line, was running play action with 2nd and 3rd string running backs and no safety valve on the check-down. With an o-line, pass catching TEs and DWill back healthy he'd do much better in the play action game. Hell, Cam's coming from the spread. The only reason to believe he can do any better is his size. His completion percentage was markedly worse.

He had a banged up o-line, was running play action with 2nd and 3rd string running backs and no safety valve on the check-down. With an o-line, pass catching TEs and DWill back healthy he'd do much better in the play action game. Hell, Cam's coming from the spread. The only reason to believe he can do any better is his size. His completion percentage was markedly worse.
In 2009 Clausen completed 68% of his passes with an average of 8.7 yards per completion with a rating of 161.4. In 2010 Cam completed 66.1% of his passes for an average of 10.2 yds with a rating of 182.0.

Yup...as I said all last year, Jerry was playing to win the lockout last year. The only thing that didn't fall his way was luck not coming out. That would have been soooo sweet.

Unfortunately as a PSL owner you have to take the good with the bad. Rebuilding is painful, but if done correctly is short term agony. I have no sympathy for Fox after the Delhomme debacle two years ago. Add in being one of the worst game managers and the worst coach at replay challenges, he can share the blame in last year.

Yup...as I said all last year, Jerry was playing to win the lockout last year. The only thing that didn't fall his way was luck not coming out. That would have been soooo sweet.
That would have been like the ultimate cherry on top.

TYup...as I said all last year, Jerry was playing to win the lockout last year. The only thing that didn't fall his way was luck not coming out. That would have been soooo sweet.
That would have been like the ultimate cherry on top.
They should have hired Harbarough. Thats my only gripe. Luck may have stayed but I seriously doubt it if he could have played for his coach.

They should have hired Harbarough. Thats my only gripe. Luck may have stayed but I seriously doubt it if he could have played for his coach.
I like Rivera so far. I'm not sure Harbough would really be better and still not sure hiring him would have brought out Luck.

I like Rivera so far. I'm not sure Harbough would really be better and still not sure hiring him would have brought out Luck.
It would have upped the chances significantly. Not knocking Riveria but what is there to like about him so far? Other than the press conference. I think Jim H. is going to be a heck of a coach but if we hired him got Luck and he wasnt that good then you could always fire him and keep Luck. I think Richardson should have at least talk to him.

It would have upped the chances significantly. Not knocking Riveria but what is there to like about him so far? Other than the press conference. I think Jim H. is going to be a heck of a coach but if we hired him got Luck and he wasnt that good then you could always fire him and keep Luck. I think Richardson should have at least talk to him.
There has been more action than the first press conference. I like everything I have heard from him and about him. And it seems pretty clear to me Harbaugh had no intention of coming here. He got the offer he wanted.

There's obviously a new sheriff in town. No complaints with anything that has gone down this week in the Queen city.

Might not need another WR running two TE wishbone set.

Anderson, Davis, Beason locked up for 5 years.
Its pretty obvious that Richardson had the inside track on how the new CBA would go down. He positioned the Panthers the best out of anyone in the NFL. He looks like a genius now.
ESPN: The flip side of Jerry Richardson's plan
The lock is off Richardson’s checkbook and we’re seeing the flip side of what made for a painful couple of years in Carolina. The Panthers didn’t sign a single unrestricted free agent in 2009 or 2010 and they let several key players, mainly Julius Peppers, leave. They also let coach John Fox hang in limbo and that resulted in a painful 2-14 season in 2010.

I know Richardson didn’t want to go 2-14, but it was all part of his plan. He knew back in 2008 that a labor dispute was ahead as soon as the owners opted out of the old agreement. He refused to lock up long-term money on players or coaches because he wanted to protect his franchise and the hundreds of people who work for him who aren’t players or coaches.

It resulted in some rough times for the fans. But those days are over. Richardson’s spending and coach Ron Rivera and general manager Marty Hurney are targeting the right players.
It was painful alright. I didn't even get down to a game last year--first time since the franchise--but looking forward to seeing a few games this season! :cool:

Like most, I'm very unsure about Cam, but I must say, I like him a hell of alot better for $22 mill. A riskier, higher upside pick makes more sense if the financial commitment won't be crippling.

I must be in the minority because I don't see much complaining, but I can't figure out how the Deangelo contract makes any sense. Maybe they weren't going to spend that money anywhere else (a 2-14 team in Charlotte isn't a likely destination for big time FAs), but still, it's very rare that it would ever make sense to give a 5/$48 mill with 20+ guaranteed to a 28 year old RB.

Love Deangelo and I'm sure it's good for Cam and the fans to keep him, but I still don't think it's smart. RB's are to be acquired young and cheap, used up and then spit out before it's time to pay them (or acquired old and cheap after some other team is forced to cut them from a bad contract).

I must be in the minority because I don't see much complaining, but I can't figure out how the Deangelo contract makes any sense. Maybe they weren't going to spend that money anywhere else (a 2-14 team in Charlotte isn't a likely destination for big time FAs), but still, it's very rare that it would ever make sense to give a 5/$48 mill with 20+ guaranteed to a 28 year old RB. Love Deangelo and I'm sure it's good for Cam and the fans to keep him, but I still don't think it's smart. RB's are to be acquired young and cheap, used up and then spit out before it's time to pay them (or acquired old and cheap after some other team is forced to cut them from a bad contract).
I think Jerry Richardson is just making good on something he told DeAngelo in the past. He could have extended DeAngelo's contract last year or the year before, but it wasn't part of his plan due to the lockout, but it was in his plans to reward DeAngelo after the lockout. During this time DeAngelo never complained about his pay or threatened a hold out, he just had to trust Richardson's word. It just so happens DeAngelo aged a couple years while Richardson was going about his plan. In other words it was always intended for DeAngelo to get a new contract, it just worked out better financially for Richardson to wait until after the lockout. I read this yesterday...
Players said the long-term deals given to Beason, Johnson, tailback DeAngelo Williams, and linebackers Thomas Davis and James Anderson showed the Panthers were serious when they promised to build from within."People can say what they want about Big Cat, but the one thing he's not is a liar. He's a man of his word and if he says he's going to do something, that's what he's going to do," Beason said. "He told me last year, told DeAngelo, told a lot of guys, 'Hey, look, we have to go through this lockout. But you guys are a big part of what we're trying to build here.' "

Users who are viewing this thread