What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2011 Carolina Panther's Thread (3 Viewers)

Cam has made some great throws this season but I think having someone like Steve Smith to catch those throws helped him out a lot. My only concern with this team is that they look better with Jonathan Stewart running the ball instead of DeAngelo Williams. He compliments that offense since Cam is basically taken on that role of the more allusive running back and Stewart is more of the short yardage guy.

Cam Newton was simply unreal in the 2nd half, the way he uses his strength to thread the needle sometimes is jaw dropping. I think we still need a ton of players but Cam masks a lot. We need a D Tackle, linebacker and corner as well as another olineman and a speed receiver.

I was at the game, so I missed any close up action or replay. But from where I was sitting (in the nose bleeds) this team looks to be getting it together..

If a few of the close games would have gone the other way, we'd be talking about playoffs..

Still plenty of work to do. But I'd like to give the much maligned, and rightfully so, defense a shout out since they actually got some turnovers and made a couple of stops. It helped that the Redskins players were dropping like flies but I'll take it. Now if the special teams could be special every once in a while we might have something.

As far as Cam goes what's left to be said? He looks poised to own every rookie QB record in the book. Passing and running. Panthers definitely seem to have the QB issue answered for a long time.

Anyone concerned about how much he is used at the GL though? Does he really need to be taking a pounding when you have capable RBs?

Anyone concerned about how much he is used at the GL though? Does he really need to be taking a pounding when you have capable RBs?
Well we saw RB's get more chances this week. I do think when you have a QB that big and athletic it's probably a good idea to use him on occasion as it makes the other team game plan it and defend it.

I have a question for you panthers homers. What side does Steve Smith line up on/does he stay on one side most of the game or does it vary?
This OC gets that you have to move Smith around on the field. Last year, and years past he was mostly lined up on the left side of the QB. Moving him around in motion, formations etc this year.

Enjoyed today's game and that's all that really matters right now. At first I was upset Mare missed the kick (we deserve that for cutting Kasey). Then I realized 10 weeks from now I'll be glad he missed that kick.

Cam's getting better, but I do have a concern. His decision making quality seems to drop late in the game. Steve Smith probably cost us the victory with that penalty. He's one of my favorites but has been making some boned headed plays this year.

Is Cam going to be a Pro-Bowl selection?

Enjoyed today's game and that's all that really matters right now. At first I was upset Mare missed the kick (we deserve that for cutting Kasey). Then I realized 10 weeks from now I'll be glad he missed that kick.Cam's getting better, but I do have a concern. His decision making quality seems to drop late in the game. Steve Smith probably cost us the victory with that penalty. He's one of my favorites but has been making some boned headed plays this year.Is Cam going to be a Pro-Bowl selection?
I thought he made some good plays late. I think he probably presses though but that's somewhat understandable. I mean he did put us on the 2. If not for the Smith hold we would have been first and goal. I think he is probably running away with ROY. I don't know if he'll make the Pro Bowl though. Guess it will depend on his continuing to put up numbers. Right now he'd have to be in the conversation.

This team will be a contender if/when they build up their defense.

I was just looking at the standings and noticed the Points For/Points Against column.

187 Points For = 7th best in the NFL (actually tied for 7th with San Francisco).

207 Point Against = 2nd worst in the NFL. Only the Colts have given up more points.

Enjoyed today's game and that's all that really matters right now. At first I was upset Mare missed the kick (we deserve that for cutting Kasey). Then I realized 10 weeks from now I'll be glad he missed that kick.Cam's getting better, but I do have a concern. His decision making quality seems to drop late in the game. Steve Smith probably cost us the victory with that penalty. He's one of my favorites but has been making some boned headed plays this year.Is Cam going to be a Pro-Bowl selection?
I thought he made some good plays late. I think he probably presses though but that's somewhat understandable. I mean he did put us on the 2. If not for the Smith hold we would have been first and goal. I think he is probably running away with ROY. I don't know if he'll make the Pro Bowl though. Guess it will depend on his continuing to put up numbers. Right now he'd have to be in the conversation.
Cam will get some pro bowl consideration because of the numbers he's put up and his media darling status. Also, there doesn't seem to be a clear cut #3 QB for the NFC. Rogers.Vick.Brees.Are probably your most likely candidates, but Vick hasn't been setting the world on fire, and neither has Brees. Only Rogers is a lock.

Tough loss yesterday, everyone seemed flat and a bit off.

I know the Cats need a ton of defensive help but I cannot help but wondering how good Justin Blacmon would be on this team. I think with the qb heavy league the Panthers might be in a position to draft him. Blackmon is an incredible talent that would be a huge pickup for Cam.

Yesterday was just embarrassing. I had tickets to the game and ended up having to sell them...really glad that I did now.

I don't know what it is about Tennessee, but this is the third straight time where they just destroy the Panthers when they play them. Glad we only see them every four years.

Cam better make the jump to Rodgers talent level with Tebow's knack for comebacks if this team wants to win again this year. I'd trade the entire defense right now straight up for LSU's defense.

So do we trade the number two draft pick for more picks?

Cam better make the jump to Rodgers talent level with Tebow's knack for comebacks if this team wants to win again this year. I'd trade the entire defense right now straight up for LSU's defense. So do we trade the number two draft pick for more picks?
No way. You need impact players. What would you give for a 22 year old Julius Peppers?

Well it was just the Colts but a win is a win. It was nice to be able to enjoy football after the Panthers game something I haven't been able to do in the last couple of weeks.

Cam better make the jump to Rodgers talent level with Tebow's knack for comebacks if this team wants to win again this year. I'd trade the entire defense right now straight up for LSU's defense. So do we trade the number two draft pick for more picks?
To trade it we'd have to get a significant deal. I'd rather draft a defensive playmaker if one is available.

Well it was just the Colts but a win is a win. It was nice to be able to enjoy football after the Panthers game something I haven't been able to do in the last couple of weeks.
Meh...I was rooting for the Colts to force OT. That win moved us from the 2nd overall draft pick to 4th-6th range. Another win or two and we're looking at so-so pick. Right now 14 teams have 4 wins or less.

To trade it we'd have to get a significant deal. I'd rather draft a defensive playmaker if one is available.
I agree. We would be winning more games this year if we had a good defense. Our secondary isn't that bad, but we can't stop the run at all. Losing key players, especially Beason and Thomas, on defense has hurt, and obviously we had no depth to ease the blow. I also hope Otah will stay healthy next year.

No way. You need impact players. What would you give for a 22 year old Julius Peppers?
What's 1/2 of a top pick worth?
#2 should be pretty valuable to a team wanting to trade up to get Matt Barkley.

What's 1/2 of a top pick worth?
#2 should be pretty valuable to a team wanting to trade up to get Matt Barkley.
I guess I missed the mark on that comment. I was referring to the fact that Peppers only gave effort about half the time.I wish we could have secured the #2 spot with a loss last week. I think it would have been easy to move from #2 to #5-#9 and picked up a ton of picks. #2 will be the honey hole this year.

I agree. We would be winning more games this year if we had a good defense. Our secondary isn't that bad, but we can't stop the run at all. Losing key players, especially Beason and Thomas, on defense has hurt, and obviously we had no depth to ease the blow. I also hope Otah will stay healthy next year.
Yeah we need a real playmaker in the middle of our D line. Bad. And I also hope Otah will stay well but I got to say it doesn't look good.

I kind of felt bad for the Bucs yesterday. They reminded me of us last year. It was nice to be on the other side of one of those for a change. Nice way to get our first two in a row on the road in what 3 years?

This team will be a contender if/when they build up their defense.

I was just looking at the standings and noticed the Points For/Points Against column.

187 Points For = 7th best in the NFL (actually tied for 7th with San Francisco).

207 Point Against = 2nd worst in the NFL. Only the Colts have given up more points.
A little over a month later:290 Points For = Tied for 8th best in the NFL (with the Jets). The Bears have 291.

324 Points Against = 4th worst (Indy, Minnesota and Tampa Bay have allowed more points)

I kind of felt bad for the Bucs yesterday. They reminded me of us last year. It was nice to be on the other side of one of those for a change. Nice way to get our first two in a row on the road in what 3 years?
Thats a pretty good observation.The Panthers have so many needs its not funny. Newton masks a lot but they need some oline help and dline help in the worst way. Hopefully the linebackers will come back but they have to start thinking about the corner position as well.But if Blackmon somehow falls to them in the draft because of the qb run then I dont see how they can pass on him. He and Newton are custom made for each other.

Thats a pretty good observation.The Panthers have so many needs its not funny. Newton masks a lot but they need some oline help and dline help in the worst way. Hopefully the linebackers will come back but they have to start thinking about the corner position as well.But if Blackmon somehow falls to them in the draft because of the qb run then I dont see how they can pass on him. He and Newton are custom made for each other.
Yeah I have been begging for D line help but if Blackmon is available when we pick that does seem like a no brainer.

Can we talk about how quickly this team has gotten into cap trouble? Two years ago they were billions under the cap. Now they have to begin at looking restructuring contracts? Really? What do they have to show for spending all that money? I made a comment a while back that it was good to see Richardson shooting the lock off the purse, but was concerned on WHAT he was spending the money on. What do they have to show for all that spending?

I think we may see some surprising cuts over the next day or two, even though the experts aren't expecting it.

Obviously, being the Panthers, I don't think we'll see any major names comes to town, but we have been rather successful at plucking under the radar guys that can make a difference over the year. I think there will be a lot of less flashy players who are released over the next few days that will make a lot more sense than the expensive options that will be around after 4:00 today.

I think we may see some surprising cuts over the next day or two, even though the experts aren't expecting it. Obviously, being the Panthers, I don't think we'll see any major names comes to town, but we have been rather successful at plucking under the radar guys that can make a difference over the year. I think there will be a lot of less flashy players who are released over the next few days that will make a lot more sense than the expensive options that will be around after 4:00 today.
I haven't been out to look to see what's available, but they'd have to have several "surprising" cuts to even get "B" type players in here. I think given the situation, they will lay low and let the dust settle and see what's available in a few days. Judging by the activity yesterday, a lot of dumb transactions going on. I saw that Washington gave Garcon a ridiculous contract for a year (plus an option for a few more years). No way Carolina can compete with that type of money right now.

Oh good....another running back. Someone please tell me this means they are looking to move someone for draft picks or something? Anything other than "provide depth at running back" would be an acceptable answer at this point. What does this mean? Cutting Goodson? Looking to shop Stewart? I really wanted Stewart around here more than the others, but moving him only makes sense with this signing. Continue to be baffled by this organization :shrug:

Smith restructured his contract and got an extension. It's clearing $5-6 million in cap space. Still a good ways to go to get comfortably under for signing draft picks though.

It seems all of the (crappy) Panthers writers are saying that it will be Coples. I will hate the pick, but I guess I'll have to give them the benefit of the doubt, since the past two first rounders I really didn't love (Cam and Gamble) worked out quite well. I'm hoping we go a different direction though.

The good news is that this is Sorenson, Person, etc. and none of them are really known for being that knowledgeable about the Panthers. Steve Reed and Darin Gantt have both been unwilling to give a name, partially because they are no longer beat writers for the Panthers I'm sure, but they are still the only two guys I trust for Panthers news.

Charles Davis' selection for the Panthers in the NFLNetwork media mock draft:http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/media-mock-drafts?&module=HP11_hot_topics#pick=9 :crazy:
If Trent Richardson is actually available at #9, I agree with him. Trade Jonathan Stewart or Deangelo and lock up Richardson cheaply for the next 4-5 years without having to spend a ton on a RB. With that said, if we're sitting there at #9 and Richardson is still on the board, I have no doubt Carolina would trade down for a king's ransom.

Users who are viewing this thread