What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2011 Carolina Panther's Thread (1 Viewer)

I must be in the minority because I don't see much complaining, but I can't figure out how the Deangelo contract makes any sense. Maybe they weren't going to spend that money anywhere else (a 2-14 team in Charlotte isn't a likely destination for big time FAs), but still, it's very rare that it would ever make sense to give a 5/$48 mill with 20+ guaranteed to a 28 year old RB. Love Deangelo and I'm sure it's good for Cam and the fans to keep him, but I still don't think it's smart. RB's are to be acquired young and cheap, used up and then spit out before it's time to pay them (or acquired old and cheap after some other team is forced to cut them from a bad contract).
I think Jerry Richardson is just making good on something he told DeAngelo in the past. He could have extended DeAngelo's contract last year or the year before, but it wasn't part of his plan due to the lockout, but it was in his plans to reward DeAngelo after the lockout. During this time DeAngelo never complained about his pay or threatened a hold out, he just had to trust Richardson's word. It just so happens DeAngelo aged a couple years while Richardson was going about his plan. In other words it was always intended for DeAngelo to get a new contract, it just worked out better financially for Richardson to wait until after the lockout. I read this yesterday...
Players said the long-term deals given to Beason, Johnson, tailback DeAngelo Williams, and linebackers Thomas Davis and James Anderson showed the Panthers were serious when they promised to build from within."People can say what they want about Big Cat, but the one thing he's not is a liar. He's a man of his word and if he says he's going to do something, that's what he's going to do," Beason said. "He told me last year, told DeAngelo, told a lot of guys, 'Hey, look, we have to go through this lockout. But you guys are a big part of what we're trying to build here.' "
That makes sense and I'm glad Richardson is truthful with his players.If you tell a 27 year old RB that you're going to pay him, then of course, pay him.However, it would be better altogether to have the foresight to not make such a promise. Maybe it feels wrong, but imo, that's simply the reality with the nature of the league and the RB position. By the time a RB has proven he's elite, a team is generally foolish to pay him that way.I guess I shouldn't complain. I like Deangelo and it's not my money.

I must be in the minority because I don't see much complaining, but I can't figure out how the Deangelo contract makes any sense. Maybe they weren't going to spend that money anywhere else (a 2-14 team in Charlotte isn't a likely destination for big time FAs), but still, it's very rare that it would ever make sense to give a 5/$48 mill with 20+ guaranteed to a 28 year old RB. Love Deangelo and I'm sure it's good for Cam and the fans to keep him, but I still don't think it's smart. RB's are to be acquired young and cheap, used up and then spit out before it's time to pay them (or acquired old and cheap after some other team is forced to cut them from a bad contract).
I think Jerry Richardson is just making good on something he told DeAngelo in the past. He could have extended DeAngelo's contract last year or the year before, but it wasn't part of his plan due to the lockout, but it was in his plans to reward DeAngelo after the lockout. During this time DeAngelo never complained about his pay or threatened a hold out, he just had to trust Richardson's word. It just so happens DeAngelo aged a couple years while Richardson was going about his plan. In other words it was always intended for DeAngelo to get a new contract, it just worked out better financially for Richardson to wait until after the lockout. I read this yesterday...
Players said the long-term deals given to Beason, Johnson, tailback DeAngelo Williams, and linebackers Thomas Davis and James Anderson showed the Panthers were serious when they promised to build from within."People can say what they want about Big Cat, but the one thing he's not is a liar. He's a man of his word and if he says he's going to do something, that's what he's going to do," Beason said. "He told me last year, told DeAngelo, told a lot of guys, 'Hey, look, we have to go through this lockout. But you guys are a big part of what we're trying to build here.' "
That makes sense and I'm glad Richardson is truthful with his players.If you tell a 27 year old RB that you're going to pay him, then of course, pay him.However, it would be better altogether to have the foresight to not make such a promise. Maybe it feels wrong, but imo, that's simply the reality with the nature of the league and the RB position. By the time a RB has proven he's elite, a team is generally foolish to pay him that way.I guess I shouldn't complain. I like Deangelo and it's not my money.
I think DeAngeloe's age is being overhyped. It's carries that kill RBs not age per se. And with the RBBC the Panthers have been running DeAngelo has never hit the magic 300+ carry number. And he probably never will unless everyone else gets injured. I think that will extend his effectiveness, barring any more injuries, well into if not through this contract. Further it's really only about the guaranteed money. The rest of the pay is meaningless since contract length is just a suggestion in the NFL.

I think DeAngeloe's age is being overhyped. It's carries that kill RBs not age per se. And with the RBBC the Panthers have been running DeAngelo has never hit the magic 300+ carry number. And he probably never will unless everyone else gets injured. I think that will extend his effectiveness, barring any more injuries, well into if not through this contract. Further it's really only about the guaranteed money. The rest of the pay is meaningless since contract length is just a suggestion in the NFL.
While I am a huge DWill fan and agree that his career should be extended via a time-share, one should remember that he had a pretty heavy workload at Memphis. He had 969 carries there in four years, two seasons over 300... so he has a little more mileage than one would gather from looking at his NFL usage. For reference some other RBs college carries were: Ingram (572), Peterson (747), McFadden (765), Steven Jackson (743), Ray Rice (910).

While I am a huge DWill fan and agree that his career should be extended via a time-share, one should remember that he had a pretty heavy workload at Memphis. He had 969 carries there in four years, two seasons over 300... so he has a little more mileage than one would gather from looking at his NFL usage. For reference some other RBs college carries were: Ingram (572), Peterson (747), McFadden (765), Steven Jackson (743), Ray Rice (910).
Very true. However successive NFL seasons with 300 or more carries generally seems to be a better indicator of coming breakdown than college carries or age. His first two seasons in the NFL he didn't break 150 carries. To me he is sort of going the Marcus Allen route here. Although he will never be played the way Allen was by the Raiders or play until he is 37 I think getting 3-4 more productive years is certainly doable given his workload up to this point.

So, part of the justification of giving a man $20+ mill guaranteed is that he might defy history because he's a part-time running back?

I think RBBC is a great idea. It should serve 2 purposes:

1. Keep guys fresh, less often injured, and therefore get more production out of the position.

2. Keep you from having to pay "franchise RB dollars" to anyone.

What's the point of having a RBBC if you're going to pay one of them franchise RB money anyway?

So, part of the justification of giving a man $20+ mill guaranteed is that he might defy history because he's a part-time running back?I think RBBC is a great idea. It should serve 2 purposes:1. Keep guys fresh, less often injured, and therefore get more production out of the position.2. Keep you from having to pay "franchise RB dollars" to anyone. What's the point of having a RBBC if you're going to pay one of them franchise RB money anyway?
Would it be an issue had Williams got his pay day two years ago? He would have had there not been a lockout looming. He is just getting his pay day a couple years late now, so I don't see the problem, plus he has a lot of tread left on those legs. By the way, why did you switch from being a Jaguars fan to a Panthers fan? I've asked you before but you never answered.

So, part of the justification of giving a man $20+ mill guaranteed is that he might defy history because he's a part-time running back?I think RBBC is a great idea. It should serve 2 purposes:1. Keep guys fresh, less often injured, and therefore get more production out of the position.2. Keep you from having to pay "franchise RB dollars" to anyone. What's the point of having a RBBC if you're going to pay one of them franchise RB money anyway?
Because he is a franchise RB. As is Stewart. Anywhere else they would be the man. If you want the best RB duo in the league it ain't cheap.

Smith revealed Friday that he and rookie quarterback Cam Newton have been conducting private workouts. The two have become buddy-buddy enough that Smith was texting Newton for much of Friday, taking a break only when the wide receiver was driving toward Spartanburg.

Charlotte Observer
The local TV media went a little more into this. Cam and Smith worked out privately for the last 2 weeks. According to the TV guys Smith is very impressed with Cam and they are quickly becoming friends. Smith has also said he is very excited about the new play book and that they are at least 10 new plays he can't wait to run. He lobbied management to draft Olsen. They took Beason instead. I'd say they did good on that one. But he is excited to have Olsen aboard.Smith's ankle was injured much of last year and people have kind of written him off. I'd say that's a mistake. He's excited about playing this year and he is motivated by all the naysayers. If we can manage decent QB play this season we should see a return to form I think.

Every day I get a little more excited by this team, what they have done and the potential that exists.

I think there is simply no way that Newton doesnt start from day 1. That is unless he totally falls flat on his face in the preseason which I doubt happens.

I think there is simply no way that Newton doesnt start from day 1. That is unless he totally falls flat on his face in the preseason which I doubt happens.
Agree, the players already view newton as a leader and he's been working hard all offseason to be ready.It's cams offense from week 1.

Agree, the players already view newton as a leader and he's been working hard all offseason to be ready.It's cams offense from week 1.
Yeah it seems to be the case that the players have taken to him. He has put in a lot of work and they know it. Given that he and Jimmy are really in the same place playbook wise if Cam is as advertised I think it would take an exceedingly poor preseason for him to not start.

Asante Samuel would be a nice addition. Wonder how much it would take to bring him to Carolina.
I think you would have to out bid the Jets to get him and they seem desperate after they were jilted.
Per Rotoworld
Citing a league source, the Charlotte Observer reports that the Panthers are interested in trading for Asante Samuel.The connection is obvious because Sean McDermott, new Panthers defensive coordinator, held the same role in Philly last year. McDermott has been collecting former Eagles, including LB Omar Gaither and S Sean Considine. If any team can take on Samuel's large base salaries and cap numbers, it's the Panthers, even after they re-signed so many of their pending free agents. Carolina also has a need at the position after losing Richard Marshall.
The Jets are "closing in" on a deal with free agent CB Antonio Cromartie, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.We'll be interested to hear the contract numbers on this one. After losing out on Nnamdi Asomugha, the Jets were desperate to bring back Cromartie. They paid just $3 million for their No. 2 receiver and already had cleared out heaps of cap space in the Asomugha chase. Cromartie may have landed himself $10 million per season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ten observations from Sunday morning’s practice

July 31st, 2011, 11:42 am · Post a Comment · posted by sreed

Back by popular demand, here are my “Ten Observations” from Sunday morning’s training camp practice:

1. The Panthers added LB Kelvin Smith (Cowboys) and DB Michael Greco (Packers) off waivers, bringing the roster to 89 players. Smith is likely a short-term replacement as the Panthers simply need bodies to practice with LBs Jon Beason, James Anderson, Thomas Davis, Jordan Senn and Omar Gaither unable to practice until Aug. 4.

2. Coach Ron Rivera said the Panthers are very much in the hunt for a veteran free agent quarterback, but wouldn’t say for whom. A source said the Panthers want Marc Bulger, but the free agent from Baltimore is still holding out hope of getting a shot to start somewhere else. He could change his mind. Jake Delhomme also remains in play, a source said. It sounds like the Panthers are waiting to see what Bulger will do first.

3. Third-round pick Terrell McClain remains a holdout and has now missed two days of practice. “The concern is for him more so than anything else,” Rivera said. “When you’re not here you’re not getting an opportunity to learn and that’s the thing. We have a lot of guys who are showing very well right now. We’re concerned with the guys that are here.”

4. CB Brandon Hogan, the team’s fourth-round pick out of West Virginia, won’t practice for awhile while recovering from a torn ACL he suffered last December at West Virginia. The Panthers are bringing him along slowly. “It’s a matter of time,” Rivera said.

5. It doesn’t sound like the Panthers are in any hurry to bring in a veteran cornerback to replace Richard Marshall, who signed Saturday with the Arizona Cardinals. For now Captain Munnerlyn is working with the first team along with Chris Gamble. “Somewhere along the line we will look at it, but the guys we have here right now are showing well,” Rivera said. “We’re not in pads and it’s not a game situation.”

6. The overall fitness level is a little down, as expected, with players not having had OTAs this offseason. Rivera said it has forced the team to change its schedule from what it would have been. “We thought one of the things we could do was slow it down today and have it a little bit more of an instructional period,” Rivera said. “We went through it at a good learning pace for the players. That’s what we try to do. It also gives guys a chance to get their legs back so we can have a good tempo for tonight.”

7. For now, the Panthers are rotating QBs Cam Newton and Jimmy Clausen with the first team offense. “That is one of the positions we have to continue to rotate guys through.”

8. The Panthers are limited with what they can do on defense until Aug, 4. As of now the Panthers have only three players from last year’s starting squad that are allowed to practice – FS Charles Godfrey, SS Sherrod Martin and Gamble. “So the guys who are working now need to take advantage of this time,” Rivera said.

9. Rivera said WR Armanti Edwards has done “a great job. Apparently whatever Armanti has done this offseason in terms of his commitment has paid off. He’s had a good couple of workouts and that was good to see. He’s transformed himself. He’s done a heck of a job…. He spent a lot of time working out with his teammates and developing that bond.”

10. OT Jeff Otah had another good practice and his knee appears fine.

Carolina Growl
This is from Carolina Growl. Steve Reed does a pretty good job covering the team. I can't understand what McClain thinks he is gaining holding out. It's all pretty much pre-decided right? I liked the comment on Armanti. I am still hoping we didn't waste that second round pick. Also good to hear Otah made it through another practice. Him being on the field makes everything better for the Panther's O.

Asante Samuel would be a nice addition. Wonder how much it would take to bring him to Carolina.
I think you would have to out bid the Jets to get him and they seem desperate after they were jilted.
Per Rotoworld
Citing a league source, the Charlotte Observer reports that the Panthers are interested in trading for Asante Samuel.The connection is obvious because Sean McDermott, new Panthers defensive coordinator, held the same role in Philly last year. McDermott has been collecting former Eagles, including LB Omar Gaither and S Sean Considine. If any team can take on Samuel's large base salaries and cap numbers, it's the Panthers, even after they re-signed so many of their pending free agents. Carolina also has a need at the position after losing Richard Marshall.
The Jets are "closing in" on a deal with free agent CB Antonio Cromartie, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.We'll be interested to hear the contract numbers on this one. After losing out on Nnamdi Asomugha, the Jets were desperate to bring back Cromartie. They paid just $3 million for their No. 2 receiver and already had cleared out heaps of cap space in the Asomugha chase. Cromartie may have landed himself $10 million per season.
I read on ESPN I think that McDermott and Samuel don't get along.

Per Rotoworld
I read on ESPN I think that McDermott and Samuel don't get along.
Guess we shall soon see... Would be nice to have, and would leave us only looking for a Vet QB, and Line depth.. CB is our biggest hole IMO.

Yeah it seems to be the case that the players have taken to him. He has put in a lot of work and they know it. Given that he and Jimmy are really in the same place playbook wise if Cam is as advertised I think it would take an exceedingly poor preseason for him to not start.
I doubt very seriously you will ever see Newton apologize to the defense for a bad game.

I doubt very seriously you will ever see Newton apologize to the defense for a bad game.
Well even Peyton threw a lot of interceptions his rookie year. So I expect Cam will make mistakes and he will do rookie things. He will throw into coverage a blind man should have seen. He may even cost us a game. All part of the gaining experience thing. Our schedule could be a killer. It is going to be tough regardless. This team is going to have it's hands full pretty much every week. If we can get 8-8 this season and see the things a true franchise QB shows you in Cam then I will be thrilled.

Figure everyone is aware but just in case:

The Carolina Panthers have added a new quarterback to the mix, signing free agent Derek Anderson from the Arizona Cardinals to a one-year contract to come in and compete with youngsters Cam Newton and Jimmy Clausen. Terms of the deal were not immediately disclosed.

Anderson showed up midway through Monday night’s practice wearing black shorts with the No. 3 on them and a Panthers baseball cap.

Anderson, 28, comes to Carolina with a good working knowledge of offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski’s offense having played under him during his tenure in Cleveland which makes him a viable candidate to start early in the season. In 2007, Anderson threw for 3,787 yards and 29 touchdowns and went to the Pro Bowl. But he’s not been able to recapture that magic. “He’s a guy that has some experience and background in the system and knows the terminology,” Chudzinski said. “He’s familiar enough with things to help the younger guys and be able to step right in.”

Chudzinski said it’s too soon to know what Anderson’s role will be — a potential starter or a mentoring backup. “We’ll see how things go and things develop,” Chudzinski said. “I think right now it’s so early it’s hard to get a true assessment of where we’re at. We’ve only been at it a few days.”

As for how he views his role with the Panthers, Anderson said, “Coach (Ron Rivera) definitely wants me here to compete, otherwise he wouldn’t have brought me here. It’s my personality to compete regardless, whether it’s real or not. In my mind, that’s how I approach everything. Every training camp I go into like I’m going to play and I kind of think that is what has kept me going. I think that is what is kind of kept me going. It’s ‘I’m going to play, I’m going to play” Even if that’s not realistic.”

Anderson was released after the 2009 season after two tough years with the Browns. He struggled again last year in Arizona and was benched two different times for rookies Max Hall and John Skelton. But Anderson comes to Carolina looking for a new start as well as a chance to compete for the starting job.

While Rivera said he spoke to Anderson about taking on a mentorship role for the young quarterbacks, he also told the former Oregon State product he also wants to see him challenge for a starting job.

“He talked about that as well, having done that in Arizona last season,” Rivera said. “He understands the circumstances. I told Derek that’s no reason to accept a backseat. I think his whole attitude is he’s going to come in and compete. And that’s what I want him to do is compete.”

Rivera said the meeting with Anderson Monday morning in Spartanburg went well and the team immediately entered into contract negotiations with his agent, David Dunn. It took awhile, but a deal finally got hammered out in the afternoon.

When asked what Anderson’s role will be, Rivera said: “When we get Derek here, we’re going to through where he is in terms of knowing the system. The one thing I have always said is we’re going to compete at that position. And he will become part of the competition.”

If signed Anderson can’t practice until Aug. 4 under NFL rules.

Carolina Growl
Sounds like he'll get a shot at starting the season but the one year contract kind of shows which way the wind blows.

Would it be an issue had Williams got his pay day two years ago? He would have had there not been a lockout looming. He is just getting his pay day a couple years late now, so I don't see the problem, plus he has a lot of tread left on those legs. By the way, why did you switch from being a Jaguars fan to a Panthers fan? I've asked you before but you never answered.
I grew up in NC when there were no pro teams. When the Panthers came, I still had a football fan free-agent mentality and bounced around to a few different teams. No particular reason. Just felt like finally rooting for the the hometeam.It probably had something to do with the cancelling the Sunday Ticket. I do still like the Jaguars, but it's pretty hard to follow a very out of market team without the Ticket.

The Carolina Panthers have added a new quarterback to the mix, signing free agent Derek Anderson from the Arizona Cardinals to a one-year contract to come in and compete with youngsters Cam Newton and Jimmy Clausen. Terms of the deal were not immediately disclosed.

Anderson showed up midway through Monday night’s practice wearing black shorts with the No. 3 on them and a Panthers baseball cap.

Anderson, 28, comes to Carolina with a good working knowledge of offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski’s offense having played under him during his tenure in Cleveland which makes him a viable candidate to start early in the season. In 2007, Anderson threw for 3,787 yards and 29 touchdowns and went to the Pro Bowl. But he’s not been able to recapture that magic. “He’s a guy that has some experience and background in the system and knows the terminology,” Chudzinski said. “He’s familiar enough with things to help the younger guys and be able to step right in.”

Chudzinski said it’s too soon to know what Anderson’s role will be — a potential starter or a mentoring backup. “We’ll see how things go and things develop,” Chudzinski said. “I think right now it’s so early it’s hard to get a true assessment of where we’re at. We’ve only been at it a few days.”

As for how he views his role with the Panthers, Anderson said, “Coach (Ron Rivera) definitely wants me here to compete, otherwise he wouldn’t have brought me here. It’s my personality to compete regardless, whether it’s real or not. In my mind, that’s how I approach everything. Every training camp I go into like I’m going to play and I kind of think that is what has kept me going. I think that is what is kind of kept me going. It’s ‘I’m going to play, I’m going to play” Even if that’s not realistic.”

Anderson was released after the 2009 season after two tough years with the Browns. He struggled again last year in Arizona and was benched two different times for rookies Max Hall and John Skelton. But Anderson comes to Carolina looking for a new start as well as a chance to compete for the starting job.

While Rivera said he spoke to Anderson about taking on a mentorship role for the young quarterbacks, he also told the former Oregon State product he also wants to see him challenge for a starting job.

“He talked about that as well, having done that in Arizona last season,” Rivera said. “He understands the circumstances. I told Derek that’s no reason to accept a backseat. I think his whole attitude is he’s going to come in and compete. And that’s what I want him to do is compete.”

Rivera said the meeting with Anderson Monday morning in Spartanburg went well and the team immediately entered into contract negotiations with his agent, David Dunn. It took awhile, but a deal finally got hammered out in the afternoon.

When asked what Anderson’s role will be, Rivera said: “When we get Derek here, we’re going to through where he is in terms of knowing the system. The one thing I have always said is we’re going to compete at that position. And he will become part of the competition.”

Carolina Growl
Sounds like he'll get a shot at starting the season but the one year contract kind of shows which way the wind blows.
It'll almost certainly not end well, but the Chudzinski connection makes it interesting with minute glimmer of hope. Having a talented TE again won't hurt either. I really wish they'd focus that Chudzinski connection more on Braylon.

Carolina Growl
It'll almost certainly not end well, but the Chudzinski connection makes it interesting with minute glimmer of hope. Having a talented TE again won't hurt either. I really wish they'd focus that Chudzinski connection more on Braylon.
That would be nice. Although with Smith back I am fairly happy with our receiving corps. Gettis was pretty good in a terrible offense and Lafell seemed to be coming on at the end.

Gettis done for the year....

The Carolina Panthers have been hit at a position at which they can ill afford to lose anyone.

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai

Panthers coach Ron Rivera said Thursday that wide receiver David Gettis likely suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during a recent practice, according to the team's official website.

Gettis underwent an MRI exam, according to Rivera, and the Panthers will have more conclusive results of the injury "in about a week" when the swelling in his knee goes down. Still, Gettis likely will miss the season.

"It's disappointing because the young man really showed," Rivera said. "He had a good last few days. He's got a bright future. Whatever it entails, he'll get it right and we'll have him ready to go when he's ready."

Gettis injured his knee Wednesday night and was carted off the field after practice. He injured the knee while attempting to run a route.

"It was down in the red zone, and he was releasing and he got jammed," Rivera said. "His foot got caught and slipped in a bad direction. It's disappointing. Like I said, the young man was having a really good camp."

Gettis had battled back to get on the field after missing portions of training camp with a hamstring injury. The sixth-round draft pick, who had 37 receptions for 508 yards and three touchdowns in 15 games as a rookie last season, was competing for a starting spot opposite Steve Smith.

Watch preseason games LIVE online in HD. Get the Back to Football special at NFL.com/preseasonlive.

With Gettis out of the lineup, the Panthers are expected to turn to Brandon LaFell, a third-round pick last year, to compete with Legedu Naanee, a former San Diego Charger who's familiar with the team's offense.

Earlier in the night, the Panthers placed defensive tackle Ron Edwards on season-ending injured reserve and replaced him with free-agent defensive tackle DelJuan Robinson, who played 27 games with three starts in three seasons with the Houston Texans. Edwards, who received a three-year, $8.5 million contract, tore his triceps in his first practice with the team Aug. 4. It was expected at the time that the Panthers would place him on IR.

Every friggin year this happens. And it seems we get bit worse than other teams although that's probably because I pay more attention to the Panthers. But still is there something in the water down there or what?

'NCCommish said:
Every friggin year this happens. And it seems we get bit worse than other teams although that's probably because I pay more attention to the Panthers. But still is there something in the water down there or what?
I'm not too worried about losing Gettis. Basically a coin flip between him and Lafel anyway and I suspect Nanae was brought in for the #2 role. Still got Edwards floating around. Also, there are guys not on an NFL team that can provide what he does.

Wow.

Seriously, WOW.

I probably watched 90% of the game last night and this does not look like the same team from last year. I think we finally may have a compentent and imaginative coaching staff. The D looked great considering none of the starting DEs, LBs, or CBs played. Maybe the Giants are just really bad. It was good to see the scrub CBs hang with Nicks and LBs actually blitz.

Cam started to get together the ingredient list for prepping me some crow.

Edwards looked great returning punts and looked OK at the WR position.

Wow.Seriously, WOW.I probably watched 90% of the game last night and this does not look like the same team from last year. I think we finally may have a compentent and imaginative coaching staff. The D looked great considering none of the starting DEs, LBs, or CBs played. Maybe the Giants are just really bad. It was good to see the scrub CBs hang with Nicks and LBs actually blitz.Cam started to get together the ingredient list for prepping me some crow. Edwards looked great returning punts and looked OK at the WR position.
The Giants obviously approached it differently than we did but there was no doubt that Giants coaching staff didn't seem happy with the effort.I think the biggest difference was the energy. The crowd was up, the players were up. Everyone seems genuinely excited. What a great atmosphere.I would say I understand the boos and I am not a huge Clausen fan but I thought they were wrong. Yeah I hated the pick 6 but that was at least partially Williams fault. Still he shouldn't have thrown it. But we do owe the kid a bit of slack as the last regime really screwed him. He suffered and so did we. I say we give him a break.

So is anyone else worried about our complete lack of talent at CB?
Yes. For all the team spent this offseason, the one thing they didn't do was fix the positions that they needed to. CB and DT were the obvious needs for the team, and they didn't do anything in free agency to help either position. Sure, there were some waiver claims and some mid-round draft picks, but they didn't sign any decent veterans for either spot. Hopefully some of the waiver claims will pan out. On another subject, I'm thrilled that Geoff Hangartner is back with the team. He's played with every member of the O-Line (the line, including him even started together as a unit before), so I have high hopes. He was one of my favorite players of the past few years. Insanely smart guy (if I remember correctly, he scored a 47 on the wonderlic)and he used to get in trouble in college for spitting on D-lineman. What's not to like about this guy?

So is anyone else worried about our complete lack of talent at CB?
Yes. For all the team spent this offseason, the one thing they didn't do was fix the positions that they needed to. CB and DT were the obvious needs for the team, and they didn't do anything in free agency to help either position. Sure, there were some waiver claims and some mid-round draft picks, but they didn't sign any decent veterans for either spot. Hopefully some of the waiver claims will pan out. On another subject, I'm thrilled that Geoff Hangartner is back with the team. He's played with every member of the O-Line (the line, including him even started together as a unit before), so I have high hopes. He was one of my favorite players of the past few years. Insanely smart guy (if I remember correctly, he scored a 47 on the wonderlic)and he used to get in trouble in college for spitting on D-lineman. What's not to like about this guy?
Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. There are a lot of folks around here patting Richardson on the back for spending money again, but look at what he spent it on. Yeah, he spent $1000 and got a T-Shirt where other organizations are spending $1000 and getting almost a whole wardrobe. The best moves were securing DW and the TEs. I don't get the money forked out for Kalil or Johnson.

Cam wasn't my first choice. I think we would have been better served by Peterson or a top DT. But he's ours and here we are. My guess is the best we get this year is a performance close to Josh Freeman's his first year. Hopefully we see the same kind of flashes we did from Josh so we know we got a keeper.
I'm just hoping for something closer to Vince Steve Young than Chris Weinke John Elway.
:excited:

How many wins are you guys seeing? Even with yesterday's performance I'm thinking four tops. I'm sure it will get old after a while, but I doubt mind losing as the games are more entertaining than they've ever been. I DVR'd the game and kept the radio off (son's soccer game) just so I could enjoy it. Cam is just plain fun to watch.

We are likely going to be looking at a high draft pick and another very good player next year.

How many wins are you guys seeing? Even with yesterday's performance I'm thinking four tops. I'm sure it will get old after a while, but I doubt mind losing as the games are more entertaining than they've ever been. I DVR'd the game and kept the radio off (son's soccer game) just so I could enjoy it. Cam is just plain fun to watch.We are likely going to be looking at a high draft pick and another very good player next year.
I think we'll be hard pressed to get more than 6 wins and wouldn't be surprised by any number less than that. I think we will be competitive and scare some people but I don't think we'll really see the full potential of this offense until next season. Between the lack of practice and a rookie QB just got to figure they are going to grow into it and a full off season regimen will take them to the next level. I will say if they are going to get a win they better get one next week. Looks like about the easiest game on our schedule right now and we could use a W.Right now I feel better after these two losses than any game last year. And as long as I see continued improvement I'll be OK. Injuries are getting ugly though.

Last edited by a moderator:
As big a critic of the pick and the guy I was, he's certainly shown the ability to play the game in the first two. I do think the team around him and the difficult schedule will put a ceiling on wins...probably six is a high water mark, but he does have the ability to single handedly win a game or two for them. I do think defenses will start to adjust and things will get a little tougher on him - he may be in for a tough stretch - but I think he will then adjust to that and keep rising.

I'm actually starting to grow confident in this team winning some games this year.

Cam's obviously great, but I saw some real nice bright spots in the defense yesterday. Early on, I was shocked how much pressure we were getting on Rodgers without blitzing. CAR was getting to him.

Ultimately, the offense gave the Champs 4 extra possessions and eventually the defense couldn't hold up.

They might start 1-4 or 1-5, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them go 6-3, or better, over that stretch from Week 7-16.

Given the that the latter is still unlikely, they are probably about a 6-win team.

I do see reasons, in addition to Cam, to hope though. If we've learned anything over the first 2 weeks it's that we really have no idea how good 95% of the teams in the league really are.

How many wins are you guys seeing? Even with yesterday's performance I'm thinking four tops. I'm sure it will get old after a while, but I doubt mind losing as the games are more entertaining than they've ever been. I DVR'd the game and kept the radio off (son's soccer game) just so I could enjoy it. Cam is just plain fun to watch.We are likely going to be looking at a high draft pick and another very good player next year.
Low of 4 and high of 6 IMO.

Yeah, I'm thinking between 4 and 6 wins myself. I'm kinda glad that Cam is starting off with some adversity. He hasn't really had that while he was in college and I hope it makes him even hungrier to play better, study better, and prepare better. He has some really nice touch on his passes, but he's going to make rookie mistakes as shown yesterday. If he can put up a season similar to Peyton Mannings rookie season and show continued improvement, that is what I'd be looking for.

It's unpredictable how many we will win, but 4 to 6 sounds reachable. It was fun watching the Champs looking worried during the first half yesterday. I think we are a team that others can't overlook this year. Hopefully the running game will get on track, and I was pleased at how well our Beasonless D played yesterday against the high octane offense of GB. I feel good about the cats future.

It's unpredictable how many we will win, but 4 to 6 sounds reachable. It was fun watching the Champs looking worried during the first half yesterday. I think we are a team that others can't overlook this year. Hopefully the running game will get on track, and I was pleased at how well our Beasonless D played yesterday against the high octane offense of GB. I feel good about the cats future.
Linebacker Thomas Davis has re-torn his right ACL for a third time in less than 23 months, the Carolina Panthers have confirmed.

Davis broke the news on his Twitter account. “I would like 2 take the time and thank every1 that has supported me over my career,” Davis wrote on Twitter. “Unfortunately, I have re torn my acl. Thx 4 da prayers!!”

That's another huge blow to Carolina's defense, which lost Jon Beason for the year to a torn Achilles in the season opener against Arizona. Davis first tore his right ACL on Nov. 8, 2009 in a game against the New Orleans Saints and missed the final eight games. He tried to make it back for the next season but re-tore his ACL in the June minicamps. Davis had more than a year to recover from that second surgery and the Panthers felt like he'd be ready to go this season.

They gave him a five-year, $35.5 million contract extension in July, but only $8 million of that money was guaranteed -- a $7 million signing bonus and $1 million base salary in 2010 -- which prevented the Panthers from taking a huge long-term salary cap hit in case something like this happened once again.

Carolian Growl
Things are starting to get ugly on the Panther D. Losing Davis and Beason hurts us real bad. And personally I doubt Davis will be back next year.

'NCCommish said:
'omally said:
Linebacker Thomas Davis has re-torn his right ACL for a third time in less than 23 months, the Carolina Panthers have confirmed.

Davis broke the news on his Twitter account. “I would like 2 take the time and thank every1 that has supported me over my career,” Davis wrote on Twitter. “Unfortunately, I have re torn my acl. Thx 4 da prayers!!”

That's another huge blow to Carolina's defense, which lost Jon Beason for the year to a torn Achilles in the season opener against Arizona. Davis first tore his right ACL on Nov. 8, 2009 in a game against the New Orleans Saints and missed the final eight games. He tried to make it back for the next season but re-tore his ACL in the June minicamps. Davis had more than a year to recover from that second surgery and the Panthers felt like he'd be ready to go this season.

They gave him a five-year, $35.5 million contract extension in July, but only $8 million of that money was guaranteed -- a $7 million signing bonus and $1 million base salary in 2010 -- which prevented the Panthers from taking a huge long-term salary cap hit in case something like this happened once again.

Carolian Growl
Things are starting to get ugly on the Panther D. Losing Davis and Beason hurts us real bad. And personally I doubt Davis will be back next year.
Morgan, Beason, Davis...this place is a blackhole for good LBs.I heard Davis carried out Beason's jersey this week. Hopefully the next in line breaks this new tradition.

Any chance Cam goes both ways and fills in?

'NCCommish said:
'omally said:

Carolian Growl
Morgan, Beason, Davis...this place is a blackhole for good LBs.I heard Davis carried out Beason's jersey this week. Hopefully the next in line breaks this new tradition.

Yeah let's not do that anymore. I'm thinking we keep Cam away from the cursed corp.

has anybody noticed that when Cam is walking down the field he takes these long strides, and bounces up and down slowly, slightly hunched forward moving his neck back and forth? he reminds me of a tall character from the 70's that has these long legs, and is wearing bell bottoms with a fringed vest over a polyester shirt with big cuffs, and a fedora (pimp) hat, and is strutting his stuff. he's a groove cat. does anybody else see this? :fro:

Carolian Growl

Yeah let's not do that anymore. I'm thinking we keep Cam away from the cursed corp.
This is brutal. I was so glad they had Davis back, now this.

has anybody noticed that when Cam is walking down the field he takes these long strides, and bounces up and down slowly, slightly hunched forward moving his neck back and forth? he reminds me of a tall character from the 70's that has these long legs, and is wearing bell bottoms with a fringed vest over a polyester shirt with big cuffs, and a fedora (pimp) hat, and is strutting his stuff. he's a groove cat. does anybody else see this? :fro:
He for sure has a groove in his step.

I had a bad feeling that Thomas was going to tear his ACL again this year. I guess the cats felt it could happen again too since the new contract they gave him can go short term or long term.

Wow this team is just plain fun to watch. The option play freaking rocks.

Anyone else enjoy Smitty tossing that guy to the ground by his faskmask?

My only dislike of Cam right now is his celebrations. Focus on the next play dude.

Users who are viewing this thread