What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2012 Hot Stove Thread (4 Viewers)

Andrew Brackman is available

The Yankees severed ties Tuesday with former No. 1 draft pick Andrew Brackman, releasing the pitcher instead of picking up the option on his contract. General manager Brian Cashman announced the move, which comes after Brackman regressed badly in the minor leagues.The 6-foot-11 right-hander entered spring training with a chance to impress coaches, only to be slowed by a groin injury. Brackman, 25, struggled so badly with his command that the Yankees moved him into the bullpen, where he finished the season as a late-season call-up. Once a highly touted prospect, Brackman made just three appearances for the Yankees, allowing no runs in 2⅓ innings.The Yankees took a chance on Brackman out of North Carolina State, where he also played basketball. Despite needing Tommy John surgery, the Yankees chose him 30th overall in the 2007 draft and gave him a four-year major league deal and a $3.35 million signing bonus.They hoped they had landed a high-end starer. Instead, Brackman struggled after surgery, rediscovered himself with an impressive 2010 season, and then faltered. In 33 appearances with Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, most of them out of the bullpen, Brackman went 306 with a 6.00 ERA. He issued 75 walks, or seven per every nine innings he pitched.
Brackman has been an intriguing prospect since college, even though he's never put up good numbers anywhere. I'm sure some team will take a flier on him. Extremely tall pitchers from Randy Johnson to Lurch Hendrickson have been late bloomers; Brackman only has 343 professional innings under his belt and never pitched a full year in college due to basketball commitments and injury.

Brett Gardner got absolutely robbed of a gold glove
Not exactly hot stove related... Rest easy knowing Jeter has won a few gg's when he wasn't most deserving. Maybe he can toss one Gardner's way as a consolation.
CF is always one of the toughest Gold Gloves to award. Ellsbury had an outstanding year, so did Bourjos and some others that I'm probably forgetting.

Not exactly hot stove related... Rest easy knowing Jeter has won a few gg's when he wasn't most deserving. Maybe he can toss one Gardner's way as a consolation.
CF is always one of the toughest Gold Gloves to award. Ellsbury had an outstanding year, so did Bourjos and some others that I'm probably forgetting.
Gardner would have been LF. Played 150 less innings than Gordon, 30 less total chances, 13 less assists, 1 more error. He was ABOSUTELY ROBBED! :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
'Eephus said:
'ctdub said:
'shadyridr said:
Gardner only played a handful of games in CF this year

'Eephus said:
'ctdub said:
'shadyridr said:
yeah, I was posting during my first cup of coffee :coffee:

'Eephus said:
'ctdub said:
'shadyridr said:
IIRC, they award Gold Gloves to OF, not specified as to which position. They could have more than one or none at each OF spot.

From RW:

Bill Ladson of MLB.com reports that the Nationals are "close to an agreement" with Chien-Ming Wang.

Just a few hours ago it was reported that Wang would test the free agent market because interest in him was so high. That talk may have led the Nats to up their offer. Wang, 31, registered a 4.04 ERA and 1.28 WHIP over 11 starts this season and should remain a solid mid-rotation starter in 2012. No word yet on the financials.

-----

My question is... why??

'Eephus said:
'ctdub said:
'shadyridr said:
IIRC, they award Gold Gloves to OF, not specified as to which position. They could have more than one or none at each OF spot.
For the first time GG is doing awards for the 3 OF positions seperately - like they should have been doing all along.

Reyes to Marlins rumor extremely hot.

Not sure what that would mean for his or Hanley's position?

Reyes to Marlins rumor extremely hot.Not sure what that would mean for his or Hanley's position?
Supposedly it would be: 2B- InfanteSS- Reyes3B- Hanley
With Reyes' injury history he just seems like a luxury that a team like Florida is not in a position to afford.Reyes missed 35 games in his walk year. Only played 295 out of 486 games in the past three seasons. His prime three seasons. Speed guy with chronic hammy problems. Just too risky IMO.

Reyes to Marlins rumor extremely hot.Not sure what that would mean for his or Hanley's position?
Supposedly it would be: 2B- InfanteSS- Reyes3B- Hanley
With Reyes' injury history he just seems like a luxury that a team like Florida is not in a position to afford.Reyes missed 35 games in his walk year. Only played 295 out of 486 games in the past three seasons. His prime three seasons. Speed guy with chronic hammy problems. Just too risky IMO.
Good point, but not the way Loria is thinking. He wants to build excitement and fill seats, with a focus on hispanic talent....just like the Guillen hire.

Why in the hell would Thome sign with the Phillies? Why in the hell would The Phillies sign Thome?
Ryan Howard insurance? Thome comfortable with a pinch hitting role when Howard is healthy?ETA: Also worth noting Thome has never won a WS ring. Perhaps a diminished role with a contender in a city that he's familiar with is his best ticket for a last chance.

Let's not get too worked up over GG's. Bobby Abreu once won a GG. :eek: There's comedy, high comedy, and then that little nugget.

Why in the hell would Thome sign with the Phillies? Why in the hell would The Phillies sign Thome?
Ryan Howard insurance? Thome comfortable with a pinch hitting role when Howard is healthy?ETA: Also worth noting Thome has never won a WS ring. Perhaps a diminished role with a contender in a city that he's familiar with is his best ticket for a last chance.
The guy hasn't played 1B since 2007, and that was 1 game, so I don't see how he's insurance for Howard.25 man roster in the NL, on a team that will likely have an infield with all 4 positions manned by bunch of 30 somethings. 3 of those guys missed 20+ games last yeardon't see how he fits

The guy hasn't played 1B since 2007, and that was 1 game, so I don't see how he's insurance for Howard.25 man roster in the NL, on a team that will likely have an infield with all 4 positions manned by bunch of 30 somethings. 3 of those guys missed 20+ games last yeardon't see how he fits
Berkman in RF for STL this season must have blown your mind. Something tells me Jim can manage a few games at 1st. Not going to win a Gold Glove, but then again that's not exactly what they signed him for. I suppose you have similar reservations about the Rockies continually renewing Jason Giambi's contract?How is rostering Jim Thome as a pinch hitter/ occasional 1st baseman any different than rostering Ross Gload? Aside from the huge OPS boost Thome brings.

Echoing the sentiments of others, Ross Gload played a total of 106 innings in the field and made 1.6 Mil. Supposedly, the Phils signed Thome for 1.25 Mil.

Sounds like they want Cuddyer/Mayberry to be the insurance for Howard. Thome will strictly be a bat off the bench.
He will bring a first baseman’s mitt to spring training, but his only work at the position will likely come in emergency situations. Thome has long wanted to finish his career with the Phillies and he will get his wish. According to sources, the Phillies are in serious pursuit of free-agent Michael Cuddyer, He and Thome are good friends so signing Thome could help the Phils in their quest to land Cuddyer.

Berkman in RF for STL this season must have blown your mind. Something tells me Jim can manage a few games at 1st. Not going to win a Gold Glove, but then again that's not exactly what they signed him for. I suppose you have similar reservations about the Rockies continually renewing Jason Giambi's contract?How is rostering Jim Thome as a pinch hitter/ occasional 1st baseman any different than rostering Ross Gload? Aside from the huge OPS boost Thome brings.
When you want to use someone to compare to Thome, please narrow it down to players that are over 40 and have taken the field one or fewer times in the last 5 years. Berkman - Never stopped playing defense and 6 years youngerGiambi - who while 40 has played over 100 total games @ 1B over the last 3 years and 200+ over the last 4They aren't very good comparisons.As for being a better fit that Gload.... Ask the Dodgers how Jim Thome in a pinch hitter role worked out.

Echoing the sentiments of others, Ross Gload played a total of 106 innings in the field and made 1.6 Mil. Supposedly, the Phils signed Thome for 1.25 Mil.
That's about 98 more innings than Thome's played in the last 5 years combined.

When you want to use someone to compare to Thome, please narrow it down to players that are over 40 and have taken the field one or fewer times in the last 5 years. Berkman - Never stopped playing defense and 6 years youngerGiambi - who while 40 has played over 100 total games @ 1B over the last 3 years and 200+ over the last 4They aren't very good comparisons.As for being a better fit that Gload.... Ask the Dodgers how Jim Thome in a pinch hitter role worked out.
Seems like your problem is with Ruben Amaro, not me. I'm just telling you why they signed him, as you requested in your original post. It's not my job to provide you with examples that suit your liking. If you're going to be like this after every signing, God help this thread.Or, if you don't like that response, maybe this helps close the subject and put you at ease: "You're right, Limp Ditka. Amaro is clearly in over his head, has no idea what he's doing with this ludicrous signing, and can only be helped by the smartest man from the interwebs.... you."

I know I should just let this go, but I can't help myself. Did you really just dismiss everything I said and then end your all-knowing post with a commentary about Jim Thome's 17 plate appearances with LAD in 2009? Jesus, you can't make this stuff up. :lmao:

I know I should just let this go, but I can't help myself. Did you really just dismiss everything I said and then end your all-knowing post with a commentary about Jim Thome's 17 plate appearances with LAD in 2009? Jesus, you can't make this stuff up. :lmao:
As a PH in the NL, sorry if the sample size is small, but it's all there is to work with in the recent past. Sometimes that how it is and considering he was traded from the White Sox that year, I remembered him struggling.But it's quite possible that he just isn't cut out for the role. As a matter of fact, his career numbers scream that he isn't. Sorry if the 144 ABs isn't enough for you to prove that. Again, it's all we got.I don't like the signing at all. Think he can do much more for an AL team, which is something he's proven over the last 6 years. Phillie has nothing to gain here except for a nice guy in the clubhouse. And as for other signing this off season.... how about you just ignore what I have to say and make it easier on all of us?

'Limp Ditka said:
I don't like the signing at all. Think he can do much more for an AL team, which is something he's proven over the last 6 years. Phillie has nothing to gain here except for a nice guy in the clubhouse.
It is 1.25 million dollars. It is peanuts.If all he is is a nice club house guy who can put up his career .762 OPS as a pinch hitter, it is a fine signing.

lmao at questioning a 1.25mil signing, isnt that almost minimum wage?
Why does every signing have to be about the $s? I mentioned nothing about the money, I'm just questioning how he fits on the team. In the NL, roster spots are much more of a commodity. When one of those roster spots are occupied by someone that will never put a glove on his hand, I don't consider it wise use if that roster spot.Jesus - the lot of you make the shark pool almost tolerable.

lmao at questioning a 1.25mil signing, isnt that almost minimum wage?
I wouldn't question the money, but I would question the spot on the 25 man roster. But then again, how often does that 24th or 25th player really get into the game. I would think more in the NL, but overall, I'm sure this is a throw away signing, unless the Philly wins it all and you get the picture of Thome crying with the trophy.

'Limp Ditka said:
And as for other signing this off season.... how about you just ignore what I have to say and make it easier on all of us?
Consider it done. But if you're wanting to make it easier on all of us, I think you know what is a more efficient solution.

'Limp Ditka said:
And as for other signing this off season.... how about you just ignore what I have to say and make it easier on all of us?
Consider it done. But if you're wanting to make it easier on all of us, I think you know what is a more efficient solution.
It's awfully nice of you to offer to choke on a bullet like that, but it's really not worth someone's life. Just proceed with ignoring me.

Looks like the Mets are putting feelers out there about dealing David Wright. NY Post seems to think the Angels would be a fit, and that a package of Bourjos, Chatwood, and a pitching prospect would get it done.

LINK

I actually feel bad for guys like Oliver and Dotel. How are they supposed to find a deal with that 100000 lb weight hanging around their neck?

I actually feel bad for guys like Oliver and Dotel. How are they supposed to find a deal with that 100000 lb weight hanging around their neck?
I dont think their teams are going to offer them arbitration, are they?

Not sure. Seems like they could roll the dice on these guys at the salary they are likely to command. Honestly, I was a little surprised the Cards bought out Dotel in the first place.

Not sure. Seems like they could roll the dice on these guys at the salary they are likely to command. Honestly, I was a little surprised the Cards bought out Dotel in the first place.
Oliver will be back in Texas. He wants to pitch again and wants to pitch here, and served a solid role. It's just a bummer he is an A and not a B. no one is going to give up their first rounder to get him, but he would have been worth a sandwich pick to Texas.

Oliver will be back in Texas. He wants to pitch again and wants to pitch here, and served a solid role. It's just a bummer he is an A and not a B. no one is going to give up their first rounder to get him, but he would have been worth a sandwich pick to Texas.
The sandwich pick doesnt come from the signing team, so if he was a B, there would be no compensation from Tex

The sandwich pick doesnt come from the signing team, so if he was a B, there would be no compensation from Tex
What I meant to say, is I wish Oliver was a B and not an A, so if a team wanted him, they would get him at no cost to them and Texas gets a sandwich pick. With Oliver as an A, there is no team that will be willing to give up their first rounder to get him.Maybe I'm still confused. It has happened before.

What I meant to say, is I wish Oliver was a B and not an A, so if a team wanted him, they would get him at no cost to them and Texas gets a sandwich pick. With Oliver as an A, there is no team that will be willing to give up their first rounder to get him.Maybe I'm still confused. It has happened before.
There was a similar issue a couple of years ago involving RP Juan Cruz. He was classified as a Class A free agent and was offered arbitration by his old team Arizona. The market for him was soft as you might expect so there was talk about Arizona doing a sign and trade. Eventually Cruz signed with KC whose first rounder was protected. Arizona got a high second rounder instead.

Giants key offseason issue #2Find another mediocre CF to replace Aaron Rowand.

The Kansas City Royals have traded outfielder Melky Cabrera to the San Francisco Giants for left-hander Jonathan Sanchez and another minor league pitcher.Sanchez was the Giants' best pitcher during the latter part of 2010, when they beat the Texas Rangers to win the World Series. But he was just 4-7 with a 4.26 ERA this season before missing the final month with a left ankle sprain.Cabrera hit a career-best .305 with 44 doubles, 18 homers and 87 RBIs in his first season with the Royals. By dealing him to San Francisco, Kansas City opens up a spot in its outfielder for hotshot prospect Lorenzo Cain, who hit .312 at Triple-A Omaha this season. The Royals also get left-hander Ryan Verdugo in the deal. He was 8-6 with a 4.35 ERA for Double-A Richmond this year.
Sabean hasn't quite grasped the whole "buy low, sell high" aspect of trading but then again, he's only been GM for 15 years.

Users who are viewing this thread