What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2012 New York Giants Thread *** (3 Viewers)

If they want to be creative then I think the Giants can work out a similar deal with Mario Williams like Dallas did with Ware.

DeMarcus Ware Linebacker 10/26/2009: Signed a seven-year, $79 million contract. The deal contains $40 million guaranteed, including a $20 million signing bonus and all of Ware's 2009-2011 base salaries. 2011: $6.7 million, 2012: $4.5 million (+ $500,000 workout bonus), 2013: $5.5 million (+ $500,000 workout bonus), 2014: $12.25 million, 2015: $13.75 million, 2016: Free Agent

They can give a nice signing bonus, guarantee a friendly salary for 2012 and 2013 with a solid uptick in salary for 2014 and beyond. Remember, in 2014, the new TV contracts kick in for the NFL and more revenue will mean an increase in the salary cap.

I feel the playoff run coincided with the health of the DLine. When Osi came back it made the entire defense exponentially better. A dominant front 4 leads to better play of the back 7 even with the talent they currently have. Havoc-causing DE seem to be a dying breed as so many teams are moving to a 3-4 scheme and concentrating on hybrid players who can start at DE or LB. Mario Williams looks like one of the best 4-3 DE playing now and he would probably welcome a return to that position.

I just see a player that matches their scheme almost perfectly and who is young enough to be dominant for the next 5 years at least. I really hope the Giants make a serious pitch to him.

I'd also like them to train a guy to do the long snapping that also has uses in other spots. I like DeOssie, but I feel like it is a waste to keep a spot for a guy whose only job is long snapper. Sign him to the practice squad if he isn't a good enough LB to start on special teams.

Last edited by a moderator:
With Jacobs possibly moving out, where do you think a guy like Doug Martin would be going in this years draft? He seems like a powerful runner and a hard worker, which would fit right in with what the Giants are looking for.

I've watched him here and there over his career at BSU, and I've been impressed from what I have seen.

Reese has an MO at this point. He's going to do what he always does, which is great because it works.

The 1st and 2nd round picks will be the best player available, regardless of position. It's what they always do. If that's an LB, OL, CB, whatever. With they exception of QB and MAYBE WR they will take whichever player is highest on their board. At least that's what history tells us. And Reese's board probably won't look like most other teams. They put a premium on athleticism and character to the point that they rank many players higher than universally considered.

All that said, I personally think that OL is by far the biggest issue. As a group they did pretty poorly in run blocking. They weren't really that good at pass blocking either, but Eli made up for it this year by improving his pocket presence quite a bit. I'm really hoping they can come away with a high quality tackle. It would make a huge difference.

I don't mind the group of LBs they have right now. The scheme they play doesn't require a top notch LB, though that would be nice, of course. It's mostly man coverage with pressure from the front 4. The LBs just need to be serviceable in maintaining their gap assignments and stopping the run, which I think they are.

The only must sign to me is Thomas, assuming he is healthy. He's an excellent man cover corner and he fits perfectly into what the Giants do, IMO.

At the end of the day, the Giants should improve a lot just by getting healthy. They were one of the most injured teams in the history of the game. Assuming we don't have 49 torn ACLs in training camp next year they really are fine the way they are, in a lot of ways.

2012 Salary Cap Projections:

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2012/02/nfl-salary-cap-projections-for-2012-season.html

“The salary cap for 2012 has not been set, but it is projected to be between $121-125 million, with teams being able to borrow another $2 million from future caps. Therefore, we’ll safely project the salary cap to be at $124 million in ’12. ”

POSSIBLE BIG SPENDERS

Teams that have the cap space to make big moves in free agency.

Cincinnati Bengals $80,641,237

Tennessee Titans $92,739,765

Washington Redskins $94,351,284

Kansas City Chiefs $95,844,195

Tampa Bay Buccaneers $98,899,458

Atlanta Falcons $100,227,174

Denver Broncos $101,389,121

New England Patriots $101,827,381

Chicago Bears $101,887,741

San Francisco 49ers $102,938,980

Cleveland Browns $103,789,162

WORKING ON A BUDGET

Teams that aren’t up against the cap, but need to make smart moves to avoid trimming a ton of players and salaries.

Jacksonville Jaguars $107,270,274

Buffalo Bills $108,426,522

Seattle Seahawks $111,742,430

San Diego Chargers $111,960,165

New Orleans Saints $113,358,069

Philadelphia Eagles $113,964,694

Baltimore Ravens $115,670,281

Minnesota Vikings $116,078,422

Houston Texans $116,306,676

Miami Dolphins $116,636,173

Indianapolis Colts $116,773,288

Green Bay Packers $118,001,169

Arizona Cardinals $118,787,639

TIGHTENING THE BELT

Teams that will be at, or over the projected salary cap once they’ve signed the rookie class. These teams must purge their roster moving forward. The higher the cap number, the more drastic the cut backs need to be.

St. Louis Rams $120,982,904

Detroit Lions $122,760,121

New York Giants $124,735,807

New York Jets $128,092,733

Dallas Cowboys $128,910,735

Carolina Panthers $129,962,768

Oakland Raiders $140,861,316

Pittsburgh Steelers $149,885,537

Manageable, that's a better number than last year I believe.

Jim Stoll says:

February 10, 2012 at 9:23 AM

breakdown by player:

Quarterbacks:

Eli Manning 10,750,000

David Carr UFA

Ryan Perrilloux 390,000

Halfbacks:

Ahmad Bradshaw 3,000,000

Brandon Jacobs 4,400,000

D.J. Ware 650,000

Da’Rel Scott 465,000

Andre Brown 465,000

Fullbacks:

Henry Hynoski 465,000

Wide Receivers:

Hakeem Nicks 750,000

Victor Cruz 490,000

Mario Manningham UFA

Ramses Barden 615,000

Devin Thomas UFA

Jerrel Jernigan 465,000

Domenik Hixon UFA

Michael Clayton UFA

Dan DePalma 390,000

Isaiah Stanback 615,000

Tight Ends/H-Backs:

Jake Ballard ERFA

Bear Pascoe RFA

Christian Hopkins 390,000

Offensive Linemen:

William Beatty 565,000

David Diehl 3,825,000

Kareem McKenzie UFA

James Brewer 465,000

Tony Ugoh UFA

Stacy Andrews UFA

Selvish Capers 390,000

Chris Snee 5,700,000

Kevin Boothe 1,500,000

Mitch Petrus 490,000

David Baas 3,000,000

Jim Cordle 465,000

Defensive Linemen:

Justin Tuck 3,200,000

Osi Umenyiora 3,975,000

Jason Pierre-Paul 825,00

Dave Tollefson UFA

Justin Trattou 465,000

Chris Canty 6,000,000

Linval Joseph 490,000

Marvin Austin 546,627

Rocky Bernard UFA

Jimmy Kennedy UFA

Dwayne Hendricks 465,000

Martin Parker 465,000

Linebackers:

Mathias Kiwanuka 4,000,000

Michael Boley 4,000,000

Jonathan Goff UFA

Chase Blackburn UFA

Jacquian Williams 465,000

Greg Jones 465,000 555,000

Spencer Paysinger 465,000

Mark Herzlich 465,000

Adrian Tracy 390,000

Clint Sintim 565,000

Defensive Backs:

Corey Webster 6,500,000

Terrell Thomas UFA

Aaron Ross UFA

Prince Amukamara 746,859

Justin Tryon UFA

Michael Coe UFA

Brian Witherspoon 565,000

Bruce Johnson ERFA

Will Blackmon UFA

Brandon Bing N/A

Antrel Rolle 6,750,000

Kenny Phillips 2,080,000

Deon Grant UFA

Tyler Sash 465,000

Derrick Martin UFA

Chad Jones 490,000

Kickers and Snappers:

Steve Weatherford UFA

Lawrence Tynes 1,300,000

Zak DeOssie 874,000

-------------------------

Looks like he missed Beckum $615,000 and FA 2013.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5274/travis-beckum

I look for an injury settlement for Beckum. I don't think injured players can be cut.

I think a roster spot and 874k is too much locked up in long snapper DeOssie. I'd rather they find someone that can do the LS duties that can also be a back up or future starter.

I'm not too worried about the cap situation. They do a good job of clearing space. I'd be interested to know what the cap savings are on some of these deals, specifically Boley, Jacobs, Canty, Rolle and Baas.

I think we could lose Jacobs and Bass without even really feeling it too much. Losing Canty would hurt but I'm not sure it's justifiable to have him as the 4th highest paid Giant when other guys are going to need to get paid. Same thing with Rolle - not sure you can justify him being the 2nd highest paid player on the team. It would hurt but that's top of the line money for a guy who is pretty good but not the best.

After reworking a couple of these deals I think it will be fine.

ETA: According to this site, the Giants cap hit is a little lower, at $117 mill or so:

NYG 2012 Cap Hits

Peter King: MONDAY MORNING QB

Giants learned a long time ago of Eli Manning's poise, toughness

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/02/12/eli/index.html?eref=twitter_feed

The week-after-the-Big-One column is heavy on the Giants, as it should be. And I'd be remiss if I didn't touch on the greatest Anthem I've ever heard at a game -- the late Whitney Houston's, 21 years ago. I'll get to other things around the NFL, too, but I still find so many things fascinating about the rise of Eli Manning, and the rise of this cornerstone franchise with him.

We'll start in the stands at a football game in the small city of Oxford, Miss., a little more than nine years ago.

Scene 1: Nov. 2, 2002, Oxford, Miss. The general manager of the New York Giants, Ernie Accorsi, is sitting outside, in the row of seats in front of the Mississippi press box, scouting the quarterback of Ole Miss, Eli Manning, against heavily favored Auburn. It's bitterly cold. Taking notes that afternoon for his scouting report (which six years later would be an important element of Tom Callahan's insightful book, The GM, on Accorsi's last year with the Giants), Accorsi is watching two future first-round picks at quarterback -- Manning and Auburn's Jason Campbell -- and seems riveted by Manning.

A couple of days later, Accorsi types his report in all capital letters to be submitted as part of the team's scouting report on Manning. In a section of the report covering the second half, he writes: "NEVER GETS RATTLED. RALLIED HIS TEAM FROM A 14-3 HALFTIME DEFICIT BASICALLY ALL BY HIMSELF. LED THEM ON TWO SUCCESSIVE THIRD QUARTER DRIVES TO GO AHEAD, 17-16. THE FIRST TOUCHDOWN, ON A 40-YARD STREAK DOWN THE LEFT SIDELINE, HE DROPPED THE BALL OVER THE RECEIVER'S RIGHT SHOULDER. CALLED THE NEXT TOUCHDOWN PASS HIMSELF, CHECKING OFF TO A 12-YARD SLANT. MAKES A LOT OF DECISIONS ON PLAY CALLS AT THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE.''

Scene 2: Dec. 12, 2004, Baltimore. The one thing Eli Manning always has had is poise. That's what makes this horror show at the Ravens so weird, and so troubling.

When quarterbacks go to the line of scrimmage, they most often point to the foe they're using as the middle linebacker, in order for the offensive line to know which man they're going to block. The first man to the right of the "mike'' linebacker, for instance, will be blocked by the right guard, etc. And so when Manning would see Ray Lewis, number 52 on the Ravens, across the line and bark out, "52's the mike,'' Lewis would scurry to the outside of the formation and yell, "I'm the mike!'' And Ed Reed or another defender would slip into Lewis' spot and yell, "I'm the mike!'' They were taunting Manning, and it shook him up.

Says Manning now: "A nightmare. A disaster. They saw me sweating it, and they took advantage of me, to say the least.''

In the fourth start of his Giants' career, Manning was the definition of pathetic, four of 18 for 27 yards, with no touchdowns and two interceptions ... for a 0.0 passer rating. In the press box, one veteran Giants scribe took to calling Eli "Billy Ripken'' over and over again. As in, "The brother of a great player who'll just never make it.''

Scene 3: Feb. 5, 2012, Indianapolis. Manning was down by 11 that cold day in Oxford. He was down eight here in Super Bowl XLVI. But he led the Giants to two field goals in the third quarter, and when he took over at the New York 12 with 3:46 to go, the Accorsi scouting report comes to life. On the first snap (ON A 40-YARD STREAK DOWN THE LEFT SIDELINE, HE DROPPED THE BALL OVER THE RECEIVER'S RIGHT SHOULDER), Manning, on a 38-yard streak by Mario Manningham down the left sideline, dropped the ball over the receiver's right shoulder, and Manningham made a perfect catch and got both feet down and the Giants were in business at midfield. The Patriots were stunned.

Four plays later, on second-and-eight from the Patriots' 32, offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride thinks the Pats may blitz. He gives Manning a running play to use if they don't, and tells him to check to a quick slant if they do blitz. "Alert, alert!'' Manning says, walking up and down the line when he sees safety Patrick Chung and linebacker Brandon Spikes getting ready to blitz. The run is off. The pass is on. (Remember Auburn-Ole Miss, and Accorsi. CHECKING OFF TO A 12-YARD SLANT.)

Manning takes the shotgun snap. Three Patriot blitzers are erased by Kareem McKenzie, Ahmad Bradshaw and Kevin Boothe. Textbook blitz pickup orchestrated by veteran line coach Pat Flaherty and running backs coach Jerald Ingram; both men came to the Giants with Coughlin in 2004. Hakeem Nicks runs a quick slant inside cornerback Antwaan Molden, and Manning throws a strike. Gain of 14.

The other day I asked Gilbride to pick the plays on that drive he thought were the crucial ones. He picked two. "The one to Manningham, of course,'' he said, "and a quick slant to Nicks. We were not settling for the field goal. No way. Not unless we had to. We were attacking.''

Two vital passes against Auburn, a streak down the left side and, on a Manning audible, a quick slant: Gain of 52.

Two vital passes against the Patriots, a streak down the left side and, on a Manning audible, a quick slant: Gain of 52.

Accorsi, who lives in Manhattan, watched the game in the solitude of his home in his hometown of Hershey, Pa. "On that last drive,'' Accorsi said, "I said, 'He's gonna do it.' I've seen it before.''

Eli Manning needed to sleep. After three days of revelry, parades, ring-sizing and backslapping, he'd had enough. "We've got to get out of here,'' he told his wife, Abby, and so they left their Hoboken, N.J., nest Thursday and went somewhere. Where, I don't know. But he was good enough to call me Friday and explain two things: how he survived 2004, and how he won the fourth quarter in last week's Super Bowl.

Remember what happened in 2004. The Giants could have stayed where they were on draft day, at number four in the first round, and taken Miami of Ohio's Ben Roethlisberger. But Accorsi traded a bushel full of picks to San Diego to get Manning.

In training camp, Kurt Warner won the starting job. He got off to a 5-2 start, but then lost to Chicago and Arizona, and rookie coach Tom Coughlin went to Accorsi and said he wanted to make a change at quarterback. He wanted Manning to play. He knew Manning was the future, and even though Warner likely would have given them a better chance to beat the defensively strong upcoming foes, Coughlin thought he was going to Manning at some point, and he knew the kid's confidence wouldn't get strafed if he played. That's what Coughlin thought, anyway. "I do recall how desperately Eli wanted to be in there,'' Gilbride said last week. "He was dying to play.''

"I redshirted my freshman year at Ole Miss,'' Manning told me, "and when I was put in there, I was ready to play. My rookie year here, at first, it was an opportunity to watch an MVP play. Kurt was great to me. I would ask him tips about picking up the blitz. And when coach Coughlin went to me, I knew it hurt Kurt. I felt for him. But he was still a professional, helping me. He could have been a lot of things, but I can tell you he was a help to me.''

Warner likes Manning, and vice versa. This was a tough situation, because Warner thought the Giants were throwing away the season -- maybe to justify the trade and the selection of Manning. And Warner looked right for the first month. Manning put up only 23 points in losses to Arizona, Philly and Washington, and then there was the 37-14 debacle at Baltimore, the day Warner had to come in to rescue Manning in relief. "He was overwhelmed by the situation,'' Warner told me on my podcast last week. "It was some of the worst quarterbacking I'd seen at the NFL level.''

The Ravens, Gilbride said, "did everything they could to humiliate Eli.''

Manning didn't fold. He had a huge week coming up, and a short week. The Giants took the train back to New Jersey after the Sunday game in Baltimore. Coming the following Saturday: a nationally televised game against Pittsburgh, at home, with Roethlisberger, who looked like a big star in the making for the Steelers, coming to the Meadowlands to show everyone in football that Accorsi and the Giants made a big mistake in picking Manning and not him.

On the two-hour ride to Newark, Manning spoke with Gilbride and then-offensive coordinator John Hufnagel. Rather than sulk about the disastrous game he'd played, he told them his eight favorite plays. He told them, "If you could put these in the game plan next week, it'd give me eight plays I'd be comfortable with -- rhythm plays, plays I know I'd have an open receiver even if it was just a short gain.''

Notable that Manning could think about the next game 90 minutes after the most embarrassing game of his life. "I was down, really down,'' he said. "But I knew if we could put some plays in the plan for the next week that I liked, I'd feel better about it -- and the offense would see in practice we'd be able to move the ball.''

That week, he met with Coughlin. "I'm better than this coach,'' Manning told him. And Coughlin said he knew that, and don't look over your shoulder; just play. But around the team, this was a big week, and a tense week. Roethlisberger and the Steelers were 11-0. In the New York Daily News, Gary Myers wrote, "So far, it's shocking how inept Manning has looked. The field looks 200 yards long.'' Accorsi told Myers that week: "I don't want to talk about Roethlisberger. This thing will be written over a long time, not, in Eli's case, four weeks."

Now, Manning says: "I didn't read the paper in high school, and I never got the paper in college. I could kind of tell what was being said about me by the questions the reporters would ask. So I didn't read about me. Same thing when I got to the Giants. But I could tell that week was a big week. The media was like a bunch of hungry dogs. They were coming for me. And I hadn't played well, so that's the way it goes.''

Strange game. Willie Ponder of the Giants returned the opening kick 91 yards for a touchdown. Roethlisberger threw a pick on his first drive. The Steelers scored on an Antwaan Randle El shovel pass. Manning followed with a 55-yard touchdown drive ending in a two-yard touchdown pass to Jeremy Shockey. The crowd was getting into it.

Back and forth they went, the Giants taking a 24-23 lead at the end of the third quarter on Manning's second touchdown pass of the day, the Steelers coming back to take the lead on a Jeff Reed field goal, Manning driving the Giants 52 yards for another TD (a Tiki Barber TD run) to put the Giants up 30-26 midway through the fourth quarter, and Jerome Bettis burrowing behind right tackle with five minutes left to make it 33-30, Steelers.

Driving to tie or win it, Manning threw a pick at the Steelers 18 with three minutes to play. Ballgame. "You don't like to say losing a game was a big mental boost for us,'' Manning said, "but it was. That was the day I thought I showed our team I could play at a high level.''

Manning that day: 16-of-23 (.696), 182 yards, two TDs, one interception, 103.9 rating.

Roethlisberger: 18-of-28 (.643), 316, one TD, two interceptions, 84.8 rating.

That's the day Manning took the heat off himself. He's never really felt it since.

Now to the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl last week. Much has been said and written about the fateful final drive, and the throw to Manningham in particular, when Nicks and Victor Cruz were lined up to the right and Manningham to the left.

The Giants took over at their 12 with 3:46 to go. Gilbride wanted to take a shot on first down.

"I thought 'Rio' [Mario Manningham] could run by the one corner on the left,'' Gilbride said. "I didn't know if Eli would choose that side, but I thought the play might be there. The thing is, I knew Eli wouldn't make a bad decision there. He's rooted solidly in this offense, and he has a strong belief what's there and what isn't there.''

In a story about this play for Sports Illustrated this week, I wrote that Manningham had gone to Gilbride on Thursday and was blunt about the Giants' playcaller not forgetting him -- or the receivers as a group -- in the game against the Patriots. "We feel we can win this game,'' Manningham said. "You have to understand --we're not nervous. We're excited. The stage is definitely not too big for us.''

On Friday, Manning told me Manningham came to him, too. There wasn't much three-wide stuff in the game plan, Manningham said, so when he's in there, he was going to get open and take advantage of his opportunities. The strong inference: Don't forget me. I'm going to help us win.

During the week, Manning had written notes in his game plan about this play. He wrote about how the New England safeties don't get very wide when they're taking a half of the field apiece. Manning thought, watching tape of the Patriots, "There'll be opportunities to make plays downfield on them.'' But still he didn't think this play was a lock to go right, as he had --according to backup quarterback David Carr -- every time he'd ever seen this play run in practice or a game.

When the ball was snapped, Manning was still thinking Cruz or Nicks first, and that made Chung, the safety who would have responsibility over the top on Manningham, creep over to his left, to provide help if Manning went to that side. "I wasn't looking [Chung] off,'' Manning told me. "I was truly throwing to the right. But the cornerback looked like he was in good position on Victor. I thought the nickel was too close to Hakeem. I didn't like what I saw.''

In his split-second look to the left, Manning saw Manningham with a step or step-and-a-half on corner Sterling Moore, with Chung, hips open to the left and inside the numbers, with very far to turn and run to break up the play if Manning threw left to Manningham.

"It's one of those plays,' Manning said, "where I can't throw it inside, toward the field, or the safety could knock it away. And I can't underthrow it. Those are the two no-nos. If I throw it too far, nothing's lost. It's second down, and we'll be OK.''

The throw traveled 42 yards in the air. As it dropped into Manningham's hands at the Giant 47, Moore's right forearm clubbed Manningham's right shoulder, trying to dislodge the ball; Chung arrived a split-second later and mugged Manningham over the boundary into the Patriots' bench area. Every Patriot but Bill Belichick signaled the play was no good because Manningham surely was out of bounds. But he wasn't. Manningham got both feet in the field of play before the mugging.

Later, Gilbride asked Manning why he'd made that decision. "The other guys got jammed,'' Manning told him. "And I threw it where no one else could get it.''

Eli Manning might play 10 more years and never make a throw better than that one. Sheer perfection ... and thrown to a receiver determined to make a big play in the biggest game of his life.

The audible to the slant to Nicks "was easy,'' Manning said. "I could see the two safeties crowding the line, so it was the only call to make.''

After the completion to Nicks gave the Giants first-and-10 at the two-minute warning at the Patriot 18, Manning looked across the line. "We hit 'em in the mouth,'' he said. "I think they were getting worried then.''

Funny thing about the touchdown, the six-yard score by Ahmad Bradshaw three plays later. Manning thought to tell Bradshaw not to score when he got to the line. However, Gilbride and Coughlin never thought to tell the Giants to beware of the Patriots handing them the touchdown.

Manning saw the Pats being a little lax when he got to the line, and when the snap came, he saw a defensive lineman stand up -- as though he wasn't going to try to make a tackle or rush the passer. So when Manning handed the ball to Bradshaw, he said, "Don't score!'' But Bradshaw couldn't process it in time, and by the time he got to the two-yard line and tried to stop, his momentum carried him into the end zone.

Two takeaways: The fact that Gilbride and Manning have been together for eight years is a huge factor in Gilbride knowing what Manning will execute well in a certain situation. "He completes my sentences,'' Gilbride said. And Manning told me this about Gilbride: "He is what I know about NFL offenses. I can't tell you how huge an advantage it is to be with the same coordinator for so long.''

And Manning's approach to football is a factor in him being so good, late, in such big games. He's been down to the Patriots in the final two minutes the last three times he's played them. And he's driven the Giants 83, 80 and 88 yards in those three games, scoring each time in the final minute to win. How does a person not allow the moment to overwhelm him? Or at least to affect his play? Manning looks like he'd rather play in the fourth quarter, with 116 million people watching.

"I think it comes from the fact I can only do so much,'' Manning said. "And I want to give our team every chance to win, and I want to give myself every chance to compete and to win. I control half the game, and even then I can't control one of our guys fumbling. So I have always had the attitude that if I do everything in my power to prepare, and then I have confidence that we've got a good plan and I know it's good enough to win, then I just go play and whatever happens happens.

"If we lose, will I be mad or upset? Yes. For a few days. But I think after some time, a few days, I'm not going to let it ruin my life for the next two months. I've got a wife and a daughter, and it's not fair to them to ruin the offseason because we lost a football game. I need to be there for them.''

One last thing from that Accorsi scouting report. Something about guts. Manning may not look the part, but someone who plays the way he does late in games has something that Accorsi saw that day in Mississippi, something he'd also seen in his Colts days with Johnny Unitas, something Colts teammate Bobby Boyd saw too. Wrote Accorsi: "BOYD TOLD ME ONCE ABOUT UNITAS, 'TWO THINGS SET HIM APART: HIS LEFT TESTICLE AND HIS RIGHT TESTICLE.' ''

Lots of lessons here. A good organization, with a strong GM, should be trusted above all. Young, Accorsi and Reese have served the Giants extraordinarily well in the last 33 years. Good coaching, with a staff that mostly stays in place, is most often the hallmark of a winning organization. And a good quarterback, with guts, well, that doesn't hurt either.

I can’t remember where I heard this (I think it was on XM NFL channel)

Someone suggested a few ways for the Giants to make some cap room.

1. Cut David Bass

2. Redo Snee’s contract

3. Move some of Eli’s money

4. Redo or cut Rolle

Cutting Bass would mean moving Boothe to starting C and Petrus to starting G

I can’t remember where I heard this (I think it was on XM NFL channel) Someone suggested a few ways for the Giants to make some cap room.1. Cut David Bass 2. Redo Snee’s contract3. Move some of Eli’s money 4. Redo or cut Rolle Cutting Bass would mean moving Boothe to starting C and Petrus to starting G
I like those ideas, particularly cutting Baas and moving Boothe to center. Boothe was better than Baas at center this year anyway. Plus, he is a couple of years younger and more cost effective than Baas. If they draft a new LT, which they really need, they can move Deihl to LG. If not then Petrus is a good LG anyway. I thought making Rolle the highest paid safety ever was overkill so I think they need to re-work his contract. I would like to see them try to keep him, though, so I hope they can re-work the contract instead of cutting him.

I can’t remember where I heard this (I think it was on XM NFL channel) Someone suggested a few ways for the Giants to make some cap room.1. Cut David Bass 2. Redo Snee’s contract3. Move some of Eli’s money 4. Redo or cut Rolle Cutting Bass would mean moving Boothe to starting C and Petrus to starting G
I like those ideas, particularly cutting Baas and moving Boothe to center. Boothe was better than Baas at center this year anyway. Plus, he is a couple of years younger and more cost effective than Baas. If they draft a new LT, which they really need, they can move Deihl to LG. If not then Petrus is a good LG anyway. I thought making Rolle the highest paid safety ever was overkill so I think they need to re-work his contract. I would like to see them try to keep him, though, so I hope they can re-work the contract instead of cutting him.
Maybe I'm in the minority but I value Baas. He wasn't healthy for the latter part of the year but was a gamer and even with injuries was still able to pull his own weight. I think a healthy Baas for a whole season would pleasantly surprise Giants fans. I certainly don't want to see the Giants cut him. $ savings should start with Brandon Jacobs. If we cut Jacobs outright I don't beleive we're losing much in the way of performance. I'd be surprised if Rolle was willing to redo his contract.

I thought Bass did a magnificent job in Indy, and for that(along with the contract) you give him another year. Like Hound said, he was injured for part of last year. Give him another season, and I think we will see a better, healthier side of him.

Chad Jones signs new contract with Giants

Chad Jones took another step toward playing professional football. The standout safety at LSU who had his rookie NFL season wiped out by a horrific car accident, signed a two-year extension with the New York Giants, Jones said earlier Wednesday.

Jones was drafted in 2010 but has been rehabilitating since he nearly lost his leg in the crash.

Jones reports in April for off-season training, according to Newman, and he was cleared from the doctor to play with no restrictions.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/Chad-Jones-signs-new-contract-with-Giants-139376073.html

:thumbup: Good for him, hope he can make it all the way back, even earn the comeback player of the year.

Update: Looks like he may have restructured to lower his cap hit.

I think they will keep Jacobs. AT 4.4 M he isn't that expensive for half of a RBBC. If they cut him and go after a guy like Michael Bush, I doubt they get Bush for any less than 4 or 5 M/year, plus a signing bonus. I don't think Bush is any better. And they need another back to split time with Bradshaw. I don't see the other guys they have as being any more than insurance; wouldn't want to see Ware splitting snaps all season with Bradshaw.

I think they will keep Jacobs. AT 4.4 M he isn't that expensive for half of a RBBC. If they cut him and go after a guy like Michael Bush, I doubt they get Bush for any less than 4 or 5 M/year, plus a signing bonus. I don't think Bush is any better. And they need another back to split time with Bradshaw. I don't see the other guys they have as being any more than insurance; wouldn't want to see Ware splitting snaps all season with Bradshaw.
I think if they keep him it will have to be a reduced price. He's making more then Bradshaw is and it's clear to anyone with eyes that Bradshaw is a much better RB. With cap space being what it is, it's really hard to justify Jacobs cap hit when Bradshaw is the guy getting the majority of the carries.A replacement for Jacobs could very well be on the roster already. Both Bradshaw and Jacobs were late round selections and the team might feel comfortable rolling with DJ Ware or Da'rell Scott.

IMO bush brings more to the table than Jacobs at this point. Bush has shown the ability to be a lead back. Jacobs has not of late and can't even get the tough yard in short yardage situations.

ESPN reporting Giants are 9M over the cap. Clearly Jacobs is gone but where does the rest of that money come from. I also wonder how they handle a new deal for Cruz.

ESPN reporting Giants are 9M over the cap. Clearly Jacobs is gone but where does the rest of that money come from. I also wonder how they handle a new deal for Cruz.
Diehl might be gone I suspect with how poorly he's played the past 3 years.

Cruz ain't getting a new deal. He deserves but they have all the leverage.
But if Cruz duplicates his performance next year, then doesn't it bump up his price even more next off-season? With only one year in the bank, I think Cruz could be had for relatively cheaper. Not to mention it would be wise for Cruz to take a (relatively) cheaper deal right now so he has solid guaranteed money.

'Popinski said:
'Steed said:
Cruz ain't getting a new deal. He deserves but they have all the leverage.
But if Cruz duplicates his performance next year, then doesn't it bump up his price even more next off-season? With only one year in the bank, I think Cruz could be had for relatively cheaper. Not to mention it would be wise for Cruz to take a (relatively) cheaper deal right now so he has solid guaranteed money.
That is the huge question right. If they don't rework his deal then very well we won't be able to afford him next year if he has a huge year. Also, Nicks is signed through 2013 and I think he is much more important to sign up long-term. That is not a this year issue but something to keep on the radar as it is tough to afford two number 1WR with the current salary cap structure.

IMO Jacobs is an easy cut. He isn't worth anything close to his current contract and IMO his attitude (when compared to his level of play) isn't worth keeping around at all, even for a redone contract. It's time for a change at RB IMO. They could cut either Baas or Deihl too. Baas in particular is replaceable since they have a very good replacement already on the roster. Deihl hasn't been very good at LT but I am not sure Beatty is able to replace him so they may be stuck with Deihl, at least until after the draft. I think they will also try to trade Osi. Those moves alone would get them under the cap, but there will also be a lot of smaller moves. One big move they might make is to cut Rolle, whose contract was the highest a safety has ever gotten, so IMO he is overpaid. I would like to keep him since I think he is a very good player, but for a team that needs cap room, players like him often either need to redo their contract or find a new team. Plus, it's relatively easy to find solid safeties cheap, at least compared to most other positions.

I think they'll do a lot of restructuring. I doubt Jacobs will stay, restructuring won't save him, he needs to take a major pay cut to stay. He's disruptive too.

SI_JimTrotter (Beat Writer / Columnist) "if rumors are true that the Giants have interest in vet pass rusher John Abraham, one word: SCARY. two words: EXTREMELY SCARY."

Hope the intent isn't to trade Osi and bring in the 34 yr old Abraham.

SI_JimTrotter (Beat Writer / Columnist) "if rumors are true that the Giants have interest in vet pass rusher John Abraham, one word: SCARY. two words: EXTREMELY SCARY."Hope the intent isn't to trade Osi and bring in the 34 yr old Abraham.
I don't think I would mind if they could get a high draft pick for Osi. Trading Osi for Abraham and a good young player seems like a good deal.The problem with Osi is that if you keep him, I would have to think he walks next year once his contract is up. I doubt the Giants could afford to throw big money at him and Osi is going to want to get paid. So, there is some wisdom in trading him now while he has a high value as opposed to keeping him and getting nothing for him.If they could pick up a early 2nd rounder for him, I'd be really happy. That might give them a shot at a guy like Hightower (if he were to fall a little bit) or Zach Brown.

I'd welcome an Osi trade. I'd be sorry to see him go but barring him getting injured this year his price will be more than the Giants want to pay going into 2013 and if he did get injured the Giants might let him walk anyway so barring Osi deciding he values the organization more than a big contract (which I'd say is a longshot) this is his last year in Giants blue. Passrushers are certainly valuable so if we can get good exhange rate in the form of picks or players I think it's the right thing to do. Even if we don't appear to be getting a huge offer it still may be worthwhile since we'll lose him for nothing next year.

McKenzie was very good for a while but I can understand parting ways with him at this point. However, they have also needed an upgrade at LT for years so now they need to upgrade both OT positions. I hope the author is right about Brewer but that's risky. IIRC he didn't play at all last year. I am skeptical about Beatty being the answer on either side so IMO they really need to get a quality OT in the draft. They are also so thin at both MLB and OLB that there are some really glaring needs going into free agency and the draft. They have other needs too, such as TE and RB. I generally agree with the BPA approach but they can't nelgect some of these areas. I think out of the most glaring needs they can probably wait on TE. They just don't use the TE the way that would make him a FF star so they mainly need a guy like Boss or the way Ballard was for part of the season - a blocker who can sometimes get down the field and make a play. Even without a TE who is a great receiver that offense was still pretty good.

I like Beatty and think he did well. Most people are guessing that Diehl will move to RT because he was terrible as at LG and marginal at LT. The hope is his run blocking will be more of an asset at RT and he can be helped by the TE chipping on pass plays.

LB isn't as big of a need. Boley had a solid year. Kiwi was a good run stopper. Goff comes back. J. Williams got better with experience and will be a starter soon. Herzlich showed flashes and I didn't expect him to be fully recovered from his cancer treatment till this summer based on the time it took Lance Armstrong to get back into competitive shape. Jones was good on special teams, I still have hope he can improve. Correction:Chad Jones ran a 4.84 40 in November and is expected to be running about 4.6 by OTAs, it's a long shot but he might be tried at LB since he's bulked up.

TE can be addressed in FA and later in the draft. FA TEs I like are Bennett from the Cowboys, Dressen from the Texans, Kellen Davis from the Bears and Tamme from the Colts. Chandler re-signed with the Bills.

CB is a concern if T. Thomas doesn't sign or is a shadow of himself after injury.

HB I'd like to see another RB even though D. Scott and A. Brown had great camps. I hope they develop but RB is one of those spots where I think you keep drafting one late to see if you can find that next starter.

WR I'm concerned about. Jernnigan was drafted as a slot guy and that's not needed as much with Cruz unexpected climb. I'm not going to put much hope in Barden, all he's shown is he's tall and knows how to get injured. Devin Thomas had a very good camp last year but him and Hixon replacing Manningham is a stretch. Definitely need to get a WR in FA or the draft or both.

Diehl was very good at LG, but that was a while ago at this point. They moved him because they had nothing at LT and they had other solid LGs, like Seubert (I forget how to spell his name). Diehl is expected to be better at RT than at LT because his run blocking is better than his pass blocking but at this point they need to get younger and higher quality at both OT positions. I hope Brewer is one answer and I obviously hope Beatty is too, but I am skeptical.

I really disagree about LB. Boley is the only decent one, although I do agree that Herzlich still has potential. Jones had his chance and lost the starting job. Goff is not good at all and overall they were so bad at LB they started a 3rd safety instead of a 3rd LB for the past couple of years. Chad Jones is a real longshot. I read he was running in the 4.85-4.90 area lately. That car accident was really bad and it's a longshot for him to even get on the field let alone get back into the 4.45 area.

I would also like to see them get a playmaking RB. Bradshaw may not be a really big RB but he runs with nice power so I don't think they need to replace Jacobs with another huge RB to compliment Bradshaw. I would like them to get someone who can make big plays.

I agree about CB, although it won't be as much of a need if Amukamara steps up his play. I do think it's a need but not as much as LB, OT and RB.

Obviously they were still successful when it counted in the playoffs last year but they did miss the playoffs the 2 previous years and were 9-7 last year and almost missed the playoffs for a 3rd year in a row so I don't think winning the super bowl really covers up some of the more glaring needs.

Diehl once was good, but he's been ranked the past 3 years by PFF as one of the worst linemen. Diehl starting anywhere on the line, I agree isn't ideal. Hopefully we have a capable starter that is ready to step in or get one in the draft. With how bad the line was I'd like to see an early pick on the line.

Some say DE is a need. It will be in a year or two for sure, especially if Osi leaves. A lot depends if Marvin Austin is able to get into the DT rotation. If he can then Canty can play both DE & DT like Tuck. Osi possibly leaving and Tuck being hurt so much makes it a concern but the draft is bad for DE but deep for DT.

Williams looks like he is capable of being the 3rd and 2nd LB for passing downs. We'll have to disagree on Goff, I think he was a solid run stopper, he does need to improve in his pass protection.

I think Fewell might have used a 3rd safety anyway. That's why the Giants keep drafting for that role in Chad Jones and Tyler Sash. Though they should keep looking for another gem at LB since we never know when Fewell might leave. If the defense plays all year like it did during the playoffs he might get a HC offer.

If Jacobs doesn't take a pay cut he'll be gone. The concern with Bradshaw is his feet I think will be a chronic problem so he'll be on a pitch count, he shouldn't see much more than 15-17 touches a game. I'd hate to see them go in with Ware as the #2RB. Scott has the speed to be a game breaker and good size, I'd guess he needs to improve his blocking and holding onto the ball. Don't know about his power running. It'd be great if he turned into a 3 down RB.

Southern Connecticut RB Rashaad Slowley has a scheduled visit with the New York Giants, according to sources with the team.

Southern Connecticut RB Rashaad Slowley performed at Fordham's Pro Day Wednesday, March 7. He checked in at 6-foot-1 and 212 pounds. Slowley posted a 4.49 second time in the 40-yard dash, while totaling 18 reps in the bench press. He also had a 34-inch vertical leap.

No idea what round he's projected for.

I think I would be A-OK with Dont'a HIghtower at 1, and I really do not think this team needs a invest a first round pick on the TE position.

Southern Connecticut RB Rashaad Slowley has a scheduled visit with the New York Giants, according to sources with the team.Southern Connecticut RB Rashaad Slowley performed at Fordham's Pro Day Wednesday, March 7. He checked in at 6-foot-1 and 212 pounds. Slowley posted a 4.49 second time in the 40-yard dash, while totaling 18 reps in the bench press. He also had a 34-inch vertical leap.No idea what round he's projected for.
That's an unfortunate name for a RB...

Here's a little cap room

per Rotoworld:

The Giants have restructured Eli Manning's contract in order to save roughly $6.75 million in salary cap space.

Manning's base salary, which was previously $10.75 million, was dropped to $1.75 million and he received a $9 million "signing" bonus to be paid immediately. The move lowers Manning's 2012 cap number from $16.35 million to $9.6 million, but his future cap numbers will all be in the $20 million range. It does give the Giants more freedom to sign other players in free agency.

'Bird said:
Here's a little cap roomper Rotoworld:The Giants have restructured Eli Manning's contract in order to save roughly $6.75 million in salary cap space.Manning's base salary, which was previously $10.75 million, was dropped to $1.75 million and he received a $9 million "signing" bonus to be paid immediately. The move lowers Manning's 2012 cap number from $16.35 million to $9.6 million, but his future cap numbers will all be in the $20 million range. It does give the Giants more freedom to sign other players in free agency.
That's just about the amount the Giants were estimated to be over the cap so more restructures or cuts will be needed.

I’m not too worried about the LB’s. Boley was very good last year and I liked what I saw from the young guys they just have to continue to develop

If the Giants were to go TE in free agency I would prefer Dressen (HOU) over Bennett

I would love to see Austin come back and fulfill his potential but I am not counting on it, the guy hasn’t played in two years.

If that kid from Illinois is still on the board when the Giants are up I expect him to be a Giant

Are there any OT available in free agency that the Giants can afford?

I’m not too worried about the LB’s. Boley was very good last year and I liked what I saw from the young guys they just have to continue to developIf the Giants were to go TE in free agency I would prefer Dressen (HOU) over Bennett I would love to see Austin come back and fulfill his potential but I am not counting on it, the guy hasn’t played in two years.If that kid from Illinois is still on the board when the Giants are up I expect him to be a GiantAre there any OT available in free agency that the Giants can afford?
Maybe Justin Smith, think he's been a bust for the Rams. I think Gaither will be a FA but the Giants probably can't afford him.

Jacobs and Jerry couldn't reach an agreement so big Jake is now unemployed. Thanks for the highlight reel steamrolls of Laron Landry, Charles Woodson and others, but beyond that, I can't say I'm real broke up about Brandon Jacobs no longer being a Giant and the organization saving some coin.

So far the front office seems to be making the right moves to help the financial balance sheet. Next step is seeing if valued free agents can be retained.

I expect this to be another off-season where we'll be :confused: about what they are doing but Reese & Coughlin have earned our trust. It will be interesting considering the talk is that next season's schedule will be worse than last year's, if that's possible.

I hope they get T. Thomas signed before free agency. If he goes, CB is hurting. Though if he doesn't get signed, it means he got a huge offer or he's lost too much from the injury.

Kind of sad to see Jacobs go. I enjoyed watching run guys over and enjoyed his blitz pick ups.

On the Super Bowl winning catch by Plax my favorite part of the play is Jacobs blowing up some guy on the blitz pick up

Kind of sad to see Jacobs go. I enjoyed watching run guys over and enjoyed his blitz pick ups.On the Super Bowl winning catch by Plax my favorite part of the play is Jacobs blowing up some guy on the blitz pick up
His chip blocks were a lot of fun too. Andre(?) Carter from the regular season Pats tilt was a frequent target. I have mixed feelings about this move, but there was no way he was worth that much cap space.

They need to find or develop a #2. They should expect Bradshaw to miss 4-6 games each season due to his feet. I don't see them relying on Ware as the #2.

Users who are viewing this thread