What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2012 New York Giants Thread *** (1 Viewer)

I like Robert Turbin a lot more than Martin. He will be cheaper and could get the sane effectiveness.
Martin would be a great pick, but if they can get Turbin a round or two later and fill some other needs then I like that as well. I know they are looking at Slowly, but I don't know much about him

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of sad to see Jacobs go. I enjoyed watching run guys over and enjoyed his blitz pick ups.On the Super Bowl winning catch by Plax my favorite part of the play is Jacobs blowing up some guy on the blitz pick up
His chip blocks were a lot of fun too. Andre(?) Carter from the regular season Pats tilt was a frequent target. I have mixed feelings about this move, but there was no way he was worth that much cap space.
Oh yeah his chip blocks were insane. Loved watching him blow someone up on a chip block

I like Robert Turbin a lot more than Martin. He will be cheaper and could get the sane effectiveness.
Him and Pierce if they slip towards the end of day 2/early day 3 seem much closers to the Giants M.O. than a RB early. When was the last time the GMen drafted a RB before round 4?

Anything going regarding Dallas Clark? I know he's not the player he once was, but we have too many pressing needs IMO to go TE in the first couple rounds of the draft. What might Clark demand and does he have one or two decent seasons left in him? I'd think getting a solid receiving option at TE would make up for what we lose in the slot with Manningham going.

OAK released Boss. If he is willing to sign at a reasonable price I would like to have him back in NY. He was a very good fit for the way the NYG use the TE position.

Glad to see this.

per Rotoworld:

Giants agreed to terms with CB Terrell Thomas on an undisclosed contract.

Thomas said 12 days ago he was "closing in on" a new contract the G-Men. It's likely a low-base, incentive-laden pact as he works his way back from the second torn right ACL of his football-playing career. Thomas has yet to resume sprinting, but is tentatively expected to be ready for training camp. His re-signing could mean the end of fellow free agent Aaron Ross' time in New York. Thomas graded out as just the league's 60th best corner by Pro Football Focus in 2010 before missing all of 2011.

Glad to see this.per Rotoworld:Giants agreed to terms with CB Terrell Thomas on an undisclosed contract.Thomas said 12 days ago he was "closing in on" a new contract the G-Men. It's likely a low-base, incentive-laden pact as he works his way back from the second torn right ACL of his football-playing career. Thomas has yet to resume sprinting, but is tentatively expected to be ready for training camp. His re-signing could mean the end of fellow free agent Aaron Ross' time in New York. Thomas graded out as just the league's 60th best corner by Pro Football Focus in 2010 before missing all of 2011.
Glad to see it as well, just hope he is healthy once the season starts

I'm glad to get the Thomas deal done. Looks like Bass restructured his 2012 contract from 3mil to 900k.

Good to see T. Thomas re-sign.

With the Baas restructuring, the Giants are $4 - 5 million under the cap.

I wonder if the team would be open to a reunion with Kevin Boss. He got cut after 1 season in Oakland, and with both Beckum and Ballard tearing their ACLs in the Super Bowl, Boss could fit right in while they wait for the other guys to recover and/or groom another younger option.

Kevin Boss obviously knows the system and would fit right in as our TE but I have to wonder how healthy he is. I think he has had more than a few concussions during his career.

I wonder if the team would be open to a reunion with Kevin Boss. He got cut after 1 season in Oakland, and with both Beckum and Ballard tearing their ACLs in the Super Bowl, Boss could fit right in while they wait for the other guys to recover and/or groom another younger option.
I'd be for it. He's not flashy but he'll be cheap and knows the system.

TE Martellus Bennett in for a visit with the Giants. Very good blocker that underachieved along with most of the Cowboys team. If they sign him,then I'm in favor because I trust Reese, Coughlin & Pope to recognize talent over those at the Boys.

CBs Tryon and Coe sign. Very good news.

Glad to see this.per Rotoworld:Giants agreed to terms with CB Terrell Thomas on an undisclosed contract.Thomas said 12 days ago he was "closing in on" a new contract the G-Men. It's likely a low-base, incentive-laden pact as he works his way back from the second torn right ACL of his football-playing career. Thomas has yet to resume sprinting, but is tentatively expected to be ready for training camp. His re-signing could mean the end of fellow free agent Aaron Ross' time in New York. Thomas graded out as just the league's 60th best corner by Pro Football Focus in 2010 before missing all of 2011.
Paid way to much for a guy coming off a serious injury

The way it's structured it's inexpensive the first two years. If he can't return to form then it's easy to cut him. If he returns to form and continues to develop he'll be getting fair pay.

Glad to see this.

per Rotoworld:

Giants agreed to terms with CB Terrell Thomas on an undisclosed contract.

Thomas said 12 days ago he was "closing in on" a new contract the G-Men. It's likely a low-base, incentive-laden pact as he works his way back from the second torn right ACL of his football-playing career. Thomas has yet to resume sprinting, but is tentatively expected to be ready for training camp. His re-signing could mean the end of fellow free agent Aaron Ross' time in New York. Thomas graded out as just the league's 60th best corner by Pro Football Focus in 2010 before missing all of 2011.
The way it's structured it's inexpensive the first two years. If he can't return to form then it's easy to cut him. If he returns to form and continues to develop he'll be getting fair pay.
Here is a break down My link
Let's take a look at the deal year by year:

Base salary: $1 million

Roster bonus (four games on the 53-man roster): $250,000

Roster bonus ($46,875 per game active): $750,000

Playing time/interception incentives: $1.75 million

Option bonus: $6 million

Base salary: $750,000 (skill/injury guaranteed if the option is picked up)

Roster bonus (if he plays 70 percent of snaps in 2012 and is on the roster the 10th day of the 2013 league year): $1.5 million

Roster bonus ($46,875 per game active): $750,000

Playing-time incentives: $2.25 million

Base salary: $3.8 million ($2.75 million guaranteed if option exercised)

Roster bonus ($31,250 per game active): $500,000

Workout bonus: $50,000

Playing-time incentives: $1.5 million

Base salary: $4.75 million

Roster bonus ($15,625 per game active): $250,000

Workout bonus: $50,000

Playing-time incentives: $1.5 million

Cap numbers

2012: $2 million

2013: $3m

2014: $6.1m

2015: $7.05m

Anyone expect to see the Giants talking with a free agent OT?

Levi Brown - Arizona is available and Eric Winston - Houston is available

My guess is the Giants don't have the cap room

Anyone expect to see the Giants talking with a free agent OT?Levi Brown - Arizona is available and Eric Winston - Houston is availableMy guess is the Giants don't have the cap room
Gaither is too but all are probably to expensive.I did read Winston failed his physical for the Texans.

Sturm's Cowboys analysis: Last chance for Martellus Bennett

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/20110201-sturm_s-cowboys-analysis-last-chance-for-martellus-bennett.ece

2008 Draft Profile From OurLads: (Top ranked TE) Martellus Bennett, 6'6/259, 4.73 - Junior Entry. Started 24 games over three years. Good athlete that is only limited with his work ethic. Former Aggie basketball player has all the athletic skills required for the position. Will reach and extend for the ball. Will line up in the slot to create a mismatch. Works back to the ball. Keeps a good base in pass protection. Big target with better than average speed. Just learning how to play the game. Pass patterns need to be refined as does his ability to create space from a defender and get open. Can change direction without wasted movement. Soft, natural hands. Secure after the catch. Athletic after catch. Needs to get more upper and lower body strength as an inline blocker. Would like to see more determination as a blocker. Plays balanced and with knee bend. Light feet. Can find the open spots in the short zones. Is a vertical threat because of size and speed. Improved field awareness. 49 catches and 4 touchdowns in 2007. Second/Third Round.

Pre-2010: Everything with Martellus Bennett starts with a discussion about why the Cowboys needed to draft a Tight End in the 2008 Draft to begin with. Anthony Fasano was Jason Witten's backup and was about to enter his 3rd year with the Cowboys and for reasons that still seem somewhat unclear, the Cowboys dealt him to Miami the night before the draft along with Akin Ayodele for a 4th Round pick. Some thought it was a trade to regain a 4th Round pick that they just spent to acquire Pac Man Jones. Others wondered why they would create an opening at TE that didn't exist. Regardless, we soon saw the Cowboys plan was to spend a premium pick on a local Tight End - Bennett from Texas A&M (instead of another local TE - Jermichael Finely of Texas selected in the 3rd Round). Bennett in college always seemed like a tease - exceptional talent without exceptional production. If that could happen in the NFL, the Cowboys would have an absolutely unrivaled TE combo. But, in 2008 and 2009, the Cowboys received very little in terms of production from Bennett. 20 catches in 2008 at least included 4 Touchdowns. But, 2009 the production actually regressed to 15 catches. It should be pointed out that he is thought of as an exceptional run blocker - constantly grading out as one of the best at his position in the entire league - and the Cowboys power run game in 2 TE personnel was tops in the league. But, you don't even consider taking a run-blocking TE in the 2nd Round of the NFL Draft. On top of that, one of the other top blocking TE's in the NFL according to the graders at ProFootballFocus.com over the last 3 seasons? Fasano in Miami.

2010: To make the case that Martellus Bennett doesn't help this team would be absolutely wrong in my estimation. Every time the Cowboys bust a run of any substance, there is a very good chance that Bennett is partially responsible. Not only that, but in 2 years of grading and examining blame for sacks, I have yet to find a pass protection assignment that Martellus failed that resulted in a sack. But, again, their dream of having Bennett flying down the seam of the defense stressing the safeties has never come close to developing again in 2010. Things went south in Game 4 versus the Tennessee Titans when a few passes for Bennett were intercepted. Once Tony Romo, who never seemed to have faith in Bennett to begin with, lost whatever faith remained in Bennett and once the season disintegrated to 1-7, it just appeared that the simplification of the offense cost Martellus any remaining opportunities with the ball save for the occasional dump off into the flat when pressure was getting to the QB. He never appeared to be the intended receiver on a play and by the end of the season looked like a typical blocking TE in this league - not a dynamic and versatile secret weapon that he was intended to be in 2008 on draft day.

2011 Analysis: This will be his last, big chance to demonstrate to not only the Cowboys - but the entire NFL - that he can be a big-time do-everything tight end. It is reasonable to assume that if he has a year that shows he can be a receiving threat and a trust-worthy blocker then he will receive plenty of interest from around the league for his services. If that happens, the Cowboys would be tempted to let him go assuming Jason Witten shows no signs of diminishing skills. He is still very young and has all of the tools to develop into the role. But, sooner or later, he will become a candidate for a change of scenery because at this point you could make the case that John Phillips could fill all of the responsibilities that "Marty B" has supplied to this point of his Cowboys career. Time is certainly running out for Martellus to fulfill his promise on the organization.

In response to tweet about Jacob Tamme in Beckum's role, Mike Garafolo says "That's what I thought. Was told before free agency no dice on that one."

Rumor is the Giants are looking at Dallas Clark to fill the Beckum role, ie. the slot TE. If signed Bennett would have Ballard's role.

Martellus Bennett signs with the NFL Champions, 1 year $2.5 million.
Great signing for the Giants. Carlson got 25 for 5 from the Vikes to be a backup. Great value for a guy with a lot of upside. Jerry Reese is pretty good at what he does.
And concerns with his effort aren't a big deal since it's a one year deal. He should be plenty motivated.
Absolutely. He's playing for a contract from day 1. Hungry players don't sit back and get fat off their big paychecks.

Giants Sign Safety Chris Horton (from Redskins)

As usual the Giants are quietly filling holes and adding depth by spreading the wealth evenly.

What’s the deal with Horton?

I think he missed last season due to injury but I don’t remember much about him or his game prior to the injury at all

What’s the deal with Horton? I think he missed last season due to injury but I don’t remember much about him or his game prior to the injury at all
I've watched a highlight of Martellus Bennett beating him on a jump ball for a TD. From what I've read is that Horton has about 12 games of starting experience and that he's a big hitter. My expectation is that he's a special teamer and might compete with Sash and maybe Jones for the Deon Grant role.

Anyone know what the cap might look like next year? Would love to see is make a trade for Stewart if we are able to extend him with a new contract next year? With his size he can replace Jacobs and complement Bradshaw, with his speed/receiving he can carry the full load when Bradshaw goes down. Seems liketo a perfectI fit foras this offense. Thoughts?

All you are really concerned about though is the cap hit right?2.6 mill... That's a bargain for a veteran RB of Stewart's caliber/age/ability
I think 2.6 million makes it plausible. If its sits closer to 4.5-5 million, that would be too much for them to bite on and lose the 2nd with no other years under contract.
A friend on mine just told me Stewart's cap hit is just over 3mill after incentives.. He works with the Panthers, but I'm not sure how reliable his off the "top of my head" #'s are
This from the Mendenhall thread.

Anyone know what the cap might look like next year? Would love to see is make a trade for Stewart if we are able to extend him with a new contract next year? With his size he can replace Jacobs and complement Bradshaw, with his speed/receiving he can carry the full load when Bradshaw goes down. Seems liketo a perfectI fit foras this offense. Thoughts?
Don't get me wrong, I'd be fine with the Giants landing Stewart, but before we start spending grocery money in 2013, we need to lock up Cruz AND Nicks.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be fine with the Giants landing Stewart, but before we start spending grocery money in 2013, we need to lock up Cruz AND Nicks.
Good point. Much more important to sign them.

Good point. Much more important to sign them.
I agree plus JPP is going to want/need a raise sometime soon as well

Ross' play will be missed. He is not an elite talent, but he a very good player who I feel is underrated. He played a very nice role in both of the Giants SB runs.
Ideally I'd have liked to see Ross remain however my expectation as a first rounder is that Prince should ascend ahead of him on the depth chart. Based on that if Prince is the number 3 we would've then been paying that Jacksonville contract for our 4th cornerback. That's a tough expense to support given our salary cap. Ross was an up and down guy that at times would play an excellent game versus a strong receiver to the point you didn't think he had it in him. Right about the time you started beleiving he had elevated his game he'd have a clunker. I didn't dislike him but I can't argue the decision to let him walk.

Draft team needs: New York Giants

By Clark Judge | CBSSports.com Senior NFL Columnist

A year ago, the New York Giants were criticized for not making significant free-agent roster moves. Now, they're hailed for their less-is-more approach, and that happens when you win your second Super Bowl in five years.

It wasn't easy, with the Giants splitting their first 14 games and coach Tom Coughlin's future in jeopardy. But they persevered as they did in 2007, making a frantic run through the playoffs that saw them pull a string of upsets and check quarterbacks Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady to 37 points in offense -- or just over 12 a game.

The last time the Giants won a Super Bowl, they followed with a 12-4 season, good enough for first seed in the NFC playoffs. That's the good news. The bad: They didn't win a playoff game, beaten by Philadelphia. Look for the Eagles to be an obstacle again, only this time in the NFC East.

QB: There's been a lot of talk lately about the value of Peyton Manning, but how about little brother Eli? He has been to as many Super Bowls (two) as his brother and not only hasn't lost but has two MVP awards. Plus, he's 8-3 in playoff games where Peyton is 9-10. Question: Isn't it about time we call Eli Manning an elite quarterback? I think we just answered that one. Not only is the guy successful, but he's durable, too -- not missing a start in his pro career. Plus, he's coming off the best season of his pro career, throwing for 29 touchdowns and nearly 5,000 yards. David Carr is suitable as a backup, though he rarely plays.

RB: Nobody had a worse running game last season than the Giants, but the numbers are misleading. While they did little during the season, their running game perked up down the stretch, with Brandon Jacobs and Ahmad Bradshaw making them effective again. But Jacobs is gone, leaving Bradshaw as the primary back -- and he's coming off surgery for a fractured foot. Bradshaw's productivity was limited by his injury, but one significant step he did make was with fumbling -- he lost none where he dropped seven the year before. Bradshaw is the primary back again, with D.J. Ware, Da'Rel Scott and Andre Brown behind him, and while that's a competent group, it could be an area of interest in the draft.

WR: Super Bowl hero Mario Manningham is gone, but the team's top two receivers -- Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz -- aren't. Each had more than 1,000 yards in receptions, with Cruz producing more than everyone but Calvin Johnson and Wes Welker. Domenik Hixon, Jerrel Jernigan and Ramses Barden are the logical candidates to replace Manningham, but Barden can't stay healthy, and Hixon, a popular locker-room presence, is coming off a torn ACL for the second consecutive season. That leaves Jernigan, and while the Giants have high hopes for the guy, he looked anything but reliable last season. Jernigan is a talent who could be effective in the slot -- provided he catches the ball with more consistency than in his rookie year.

TE: The Super Bowl created an immediate need at this position, basically because the Giants lost their two tight ends -- not only for the game but for part, if not all, of this season. Jake Ballard and Travis Beckum each bowed out with torn ACLs, leaving Bear Pascoe and Christian Hopkins alone at the position -- until the Giants signed Martellus Bennett away from Dallas. Bennett, a solid run-blocking tight end, goes immediately to the head of the class here.

OL: The release of right tackle Kareem McKenzie leaves a hole at the position, but the Giants always seem to be able to plug leaks on their offensive line -- either through the draft, free agency or moving people around. They lost left tackle Will Beatty in the middle of last season and recovered thanks to the flexibility of David Diehl, who shifted back to his left-tackle position, and the play of left guard Kevin Boothe. Diehl is experienced at tackle, but he's a better suited as a guard -- though he could be a candidate as McKenzie's replacement. Of course, so could Beatty and James Brewer, last year's fourth-round draft pick. Right guard Chris Snee is the best in a better-than-average group that could use depth.

DL: There might be no better front four than these guys. There are premier players. There is depth. And there is a ferocious pass rush that flustered quarterbacks down the stretch. In only his second season, end Jason Pierre-Paul emerged as one of the game's most promising impact players -- producing a team-high 16.5 sacks, six pass deflections and two forced fumbles. He and a healthy Justin Tuck are one of the best pair of bookend pass-rushers anywhere. Now add Osi Umenyiora off the bench, defensive tackles Chris Canty and Linval Joseph, and you have a defensive line that is rock solid even if, as expected, they lose pass-rusher Dave Tollefson to free agency.

LB: This was an area of concern throughout 2011, and it still should be. Free agent Jonathan Goff is unsigned and comes off a serious knee injury that sidelined him last season. Goff knows the defense and seemed on the verge of a breakout year before hurting himself before the opener. The Giants want to re-sign him but may not succeed. That means the middle could be wide open again, with Mark Herzlich and Greg Jones in the mix. Mathias Kiwanuka has made the transition from defensive end nicely, but he's still at his best rushing the passer. Michael Boley is solid on the other side, with Clint Sintim the first outside linebacker off the bench. It's not a bad group, but it's one that could use an upgrade inside.

DB: The return of cornerback Terrell Thomas signaled the end of Aaron Ross, who left for Jacksonville. Re-signing Thomas was a priority. The guy was the team's top defensive back in 2010, when he led the team in interceptions, and many thought he was on track for a Pro Bowl season -- that is, until he bowed out in preseason with a torn ACL. Thomas should reclaim his starting job opposite Corey Webster, with Prince Amukamara holding down the third spot. Antrel Rolle and Kenny Phillips are solid as safeties, with free-agent addition Chris Horton off the bench. While the Giants appear in good shape here, they were 29th vs. the pass, and that must change. Nevertheless, look at the secondary's performances in New York's last six games -- all victories -- and you know why appearances are deceiving.

Chad Jones ready to join team for offseason workouts on a limited basis

My link

Good for him! I hope the kid can make the comeback!

I like the pickups here... little risk, some depth, some upside. I think Rivers has a chance to surprise, and if he doesnt, we didn't pay much to get him. But to have a top 10 draft talent who is still very young, and obviously has the physical skills, is a nice pickup for very little risk.

I like the pickups here... little risk, some depth, some upside. I think Rivers has a chance to surprise, and if he doesnt, we didn't pay much to get him. But to have a top 10 draft talent who is still very young, and obviously has the physical skills, is a nice pickup for very little risk.
I agree nothing ‘sexy’ about any of the moves but they are nice moves to build depth and maybe find a starter (Locklear and/or Rivers) and it looks like Reese will have the flexibility to do what he says he likes to do in the draft which is take the best available player. I know many consider Rivers a bust in Cincy but I think he falls into that category because he couldn’t stay healthy not because he wasn’t any good.Hope he can stay healthy and help the LB unit. What LB position did he play in Cincy and which LB position suits his skill set the best?

Am I the only one who thinks these moves look like they're freeing themselves up so they can take a RB?

Or am I just dreaming?

'Yenrub said:
'Koya said:
I agree nothing ‘sexy’ about any of the moves but they are nice moves to build depth and maybe find a starter (Locklear and/or Rivers) and it looks like Reese will have the flexibility to do what he says he likes to do in the draft which is take the best available player. I know many consider Rivers a bust in Cincy but I think he falls into that category because he couldn’t stay healthy not because he wasn’t any good.Hope he can stay healthy and help the LB unit. What LB position did he play in Cincy and which LB position suits his skill set the best?
I think the Rivers move is real sexy. He is probably a top 2 or 3 linebacker on the Giants ...only Boley is a more established LB. He may not have been as dynamic as the Bengals would have expected from the 9th overall pick but he was a starter from day one and despite the injuries was one of the Bengals leading tacklers. I think this is a huge pickup.

'Banemorth said:
Am I the only one who thinks these moves look like they're freeing themselves up so they can take a RB?Or am I just dreaming?
I was kinda thinking the same thing ... They have Ross's replacement , they took care of TE , they took care of RT, they took care of LB. RB looks like their biggest hole right now.

'Banemorth said:
Am I the only one who thinks these moves look like they're freeing themselves up so they can take a RB?Or am I just dreaming?
I was kinda thinking the same thing ... They have Ross's replacement , they took care of TE , they took care of RT, they took care of LB. RB looks like their biggest hole right now.
We know that if they draft a RB the RB won’t be Trent Richardson. So which RB do you guys want the Giants to draft?I think they will wait until the 2nd round to pick a RB especially if the only RB off the board when they pick in the 1st is Richardson. I think some defensive lineman who isn’t expected to fall will fall and Reese will scoop him up in the 1st

I want the Giants to take Doug Martin in the first. I think he has the potential to be as good as Rice and Bradshaw's glass feet are NOT something I want to rely on.

Users who are viewing this thread