What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2013 NLDS Cardinals v Pirates thread*** (1 Viewer)

Glad you guys are confident in your team. Good insight added. :bowtie:

Here's a useful question... best guess at the Games 1-5 starting pitchers? Sounds like Burnett gets game 1 and Liriano should be on normal rest for game 3.

Here's a useful question... best guess at the Games 1-5 starting pitchers? Sounds like Burnett gets game 1 and Liriano should be on normal rest for game 3.
My guess-- Burnett, Cole, Liriano, Burnett, Cole.

fred_1_15301 said:
RnR said:

The Pirates won't start a rookie in game 5 if necessary.

fred_1_15301 said:
RnR said:
Glad you guys are confident in your team. Good insight added. :bowtie: Here's a useful question... best guess at the Games 1-5 starting pitchers? Sounds like Burnett gets game 1 and Liriano should be on normal rest for game 3.
The Pirates won't start a rookie in game 5 if necessary.
Yeah I updated it. I would have no problem going with Cole in game 5 with the way he's been pitching.

RnR said:

I was a little drunk last night when I made my posts :shrug: Anyways, after going through the numbers I'm not quite as confident but I do think it will be a very good series. A few tidbits below:

1. The Pirates won the season series (albeit it was very close and the Cards have won the past 4).

2. The Pirates are completely healthy for one of the few times this year.

3. The Cards are one of the hottest teams in baseball but will the 3 days rest impact their momentum? Probably not.

4. Burnett has had 6 starts against the Cards and has been very good in 4 of them. However, his 2 bad starts were both in St. Louis (which is where he would pitch in this series).

5. Liriano has had 3 starts against the Cards and has been dominant in all of them.

6. Cole has not faced the Cards and Morton has not done well against them.

7. Wainright has done well against the Buccos (especially at home where he's been dominant).

8. The Pirates have hit Lynn and Miller pretty well.

9. Wacha has only had 1 start against the Bucs but he was dominant in it.

10. The wildcard game doesn't really have an impact on the Pirates rotation for the series. Burnett and Liriano are really 1a and 1b. Liriano will now get to pitch at PNC, where he's been much more dominant.

11. I wonder how much the Cards will miss Craig for this series.

Cardinals need Freese and Kouzma/Descalso to pick it way up.

On the mound - they need Joe Kelly to continue his excellent season

In the Bullpen - they need to find a consistent final innings approach and consistent performances - it's been a lot of up and down there and trust is an issue. It worked out over 162 games - but with just 5 games there is little room for mistakes.

Cardinals will have a real advantage in the experience department and I love the way they approach at bats - it will be interesting to see how the Pirate pitching responds in the tough situations.

The saving graces that Liriano had to pitch the WC game, so he'll only get one start in the NLDS. However, that advantage is offset by Matheny deciding to pitch Lynn in game 2. If good Lynn shows up the Cards will be alright - but who knows which Lynn will show up. I think this should be a phenomenal series and the winner of this will advance to the World Series as Dodgers are banged up and Braves are good but beatable. This will be a great series, cannot wait to watch.

Cardinals need Freese and Kouzma/Descalso to pick it way up.

On the mound - they need Joe Kelly to continue his excellent season

In the Bullpen - they need to find a consistent final innings approach and consistent performances - it's been a lot of up and down there and trust is an issue. It worked out over 162 games - but with just 5 games there is little room for mistakes.

Cardinals will have a real advantage in the experience department and I love the way they approach at bats - it will be interesting to see how the Pirate pitching responds in the tough situations.
What will the Cards rotation look like? Is Wacha out of the rotation and in the bullpen?

I predict this series goes 5 and that the Cards will really be hurt with the absence of Allen Craig, who's been money for them all year, especially in clutch/RISP situations.

As a Cards fan, I fear the Pirates will take it. They seem ripe for a run and I actually wouldn't feel bad at all if they became this year's Cinderella. Those fans have been through hell.

Joe Kelly/Michael Wacha have dominated the Pirates this season, is Wacha on Cardinals NLDS roster?

I like our chances vs. Wainwright and Lynn; but home field will be advantage throughout this series

I dont know when he will be on the mound, but whenever it is, I hope we hit the #### out of that #### face Joe Kelly.

Gotta get Burnett outta there. NOW. This is what I was worried about, Burnett struggles but Hurdle doesnt get him off the mound soon enough.

It's only one game but its deflating to see how strong this Cards lineup is when they're clicking. They're basically the antithesis of the Pirates-- very patient and intelligent hitters across the board.

It is going to be really hard to beat the Cards playing great but with this awful fielding by the Buccos you might as well trade the Jolly Roger for a white flag.

Hoping that this is a Wild Card game hangover

It is going to be really hard to beat the Cards playing great but with this awful fielding by the Buccos you might as well trade the Jolly Roger for a white flag.

Series doesn't even start until someone loses a home game. They'll be fine.

c

Series doesn't even start until someone loses a home game. They'll be fine.
Excellent point

It will be interesting to see how the Pirates sleep on this outing...a tough outing for one of their best pitchers. Chances are they will be a bit restless for tomorrow's earlier start - do they come out pressing or angry and focused is the question. Cards are probably sleeping well tonight - pretty much everyone contributed and they can build on today's effort.

The only thing more irritating than this game is this constant commercial for avocados. Nobody is going to a baseball game and eat these damn things.

Users who are viewing this thread