What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2013 Seattle Seahawks **** (2 Viewers)

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/77023/rookie-camp-with-view-of-richard-sherman

Rookie camp with view of Richard Sherman
By Mike Sando | ESPN.com

RENTON, Wash. -- A few notes after watching the Seattle Seahawks' rookies practice on a clear, 75-degree day at team headquarters along the Lake Washington shoreline:

• Veteran presence: Veterans were not allowed on the field, but Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman showed up about 20 yards offshore -- on a personal watercraft. For a few minutes, photographers had their backs to practice while they snapped away, their cameras trained on the Seahawks' brashest player. Not that Sherman likes attracting attention. "Was that Sherm?" head coach Pete Carroll quipped, adding in jest that he thought he'd seen workaholic quarterback Russell Wilson peeking over the hill on the other side of the field, away from the water.
  • Lots of faces: Seattle had 67 rookies in camp, including 38 players attending on a tryout basis. There were 12 draft choices and 17 players signed as undrafted free agents. Printed rosters have seldom been so helpful.
  • Wilson's legacy: Carroll opened a morning staff meeting by showing video of Wilson struggling with some of the basics, including center exchanges, during the rookie camp last year. Wilson finished the season with a playoff victory and an appearance in the Pro Bowl. Carroll wanted to put into perspective the first day of rookie minicamp so his coaches wouldn't get down on a young player for struggling early.
  • Tight end stands out: The recently released tight end Daniel Fells was among those trying out. He caught passes consistently, but fifth-round choice Luke Wilson was the tight end standing out most demonstrably. He beat safeties in coverage to make catches on the run and separated from defenders. Carroll singled out Wilson as impressing him. Carroll: "Luke stood out today. He has really good speed and it showed. Caught the ball really well. That was probably the brightest spot that you could really see a guy jump out on. That was a really good first impression."
  • Inside job: Third-round choice Jordan Hill and fifth-rounder Jesse Williams worked together at defensive tackle, sometimes with seventh-rounder Ty Powell lining up in what appeared to be the "Leo" position. Hill and Williams are roommates. Hill played at Penn State, Williams at Alabama. Both played in tradition-rich programs led by old-school coaches, at least until Bill O'Brien succeeded Joe Paterno at Penn State. Carroll's new-school approach comes through loud and clear in the music playing over speakers during practice. Hill said that "wasn't going on in my first three years" at Penn State. "I just enjoy, you get to be yourself," he said.
  • Scruggs update: Second-year defensive end Greg Scruggs underwent reconstructive knee surgery Thursday after suffering a non-contact injury while planting awkwardly during a training drill. It's too early to know whether Scruggs could factor at all during the 2013 season.
  • Not much to go on: Players wore helmets, jerseys and shorts for practice. No tackling or hitting was allowed. Coaches encouraged defenders to make a quick attempt at stripping the ball from runners before letting them proceed upfield. This was not football, in other words. However, coaches were able to see players move. Second-round running back Christine Michael stood out for his quickness, balance and for the primal scream he let out after running to the end zone on one play. Michael also stood out for his biceps. He practiced in a No. 33 jersey with no sleeves.
  • No vets around: Years ago, before the current labor agreement went into place, teams held mandatory camps for veterans and rookies at this time of year. Only rookies are allowed under the current agreement. That made it impossible to compare rookies to the players they'll challenge for roster spots and playing time.
  • Smith at center: Seventh-round pick Jared Smith worked at center. He could project at guard, too. The Seahawks are converting him from defensive tackle, a transition J.R. Sweezy made last year. Carroll singled out Smith's quickness. He also praised seventh-round guard Ryan Seymour for having good feet.
  • Harper's hands: Carroll liked what he saw from fourth-round receiver Chris Harper. Carroll: "He caught the ball beautifully. He really has great hands."
That's it from here. Every team in the NFC West is holding its rookie camp Friday through Sunday. I would expect each team's coaches to come away excited about new players. That's a good thing. Draft choices come as-is, without receipts. There are no refunds.

Grrr. I'm staritng to see a ton of reports that Bruce Irvin has been suspended for 4 games due to PEDs. What the #### is going on with all of the PED action guys? Someone needs to snap the team in order.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000202048/article/2013-nfl-draft-fallout-seattle-seahawks

2013 NFL Draft Fallout: Seattle Seahawks

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

The 2013 NFL Draft transformed 32 NFL rosters. Around The League will examine the aftershocks in our Draft Fallout series. Last up: The Seattle Seahawks

The Big Question: Why draft Christine Michael?Before the draft, I wondered how the Seahawks would surprise us this time. It didn't take long. Their first selection with the No. 62 overall pick was one of the biggest eye-openers in the draft. Texas A&M running back Christine Michael perhaps was the most talented, checkered player at his position in the entire draft.

The Seahawks already were deep at running back with Marshawn Lynch and Robert Turbin. Michael suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in college and couldn't get out of coach Kevin Sumlin's doghouse. So what gives?

This is the draft pick that an extremely confident front office makes. It's the reason why we love watching the Seahawks build their roster under general manager John Schneider and coach Pete Carroll. They think different. They see different. They act different.

It's also the draft pick that a team makes when they are extremely committed to the running game. Lynch was the second-best running back in the league last year, but there's no guarantee of long-term health at the position. (Especially with the way Lynch runs.) While most teams devalue the position, the Seahawks saw great value in a potential future starter that fits their system well.

Michael might not have much of a role as a rookie because of his pass protection skills, but the Seahawks don't necessarily need him now. It's a luxury they can afford, and Schneider has earned the benefit of the doubt.

Three takeaways
1. Lynch is due a lot of money in 2015. That's the best guess for when Michael could take over as the Seahawks' primary back.

2. I thought the Seahawks might draft a wide receiver, what with the futures of Golden Tate and Sidney Rice up in the air after 2013. Fourth-round pick Chris Harper could be a factor at wide receiver next season.

3. Defensive tackle Jesse Williams fell to the fifth round because of his medical history. He's still my favorite value pick in the entire draft. It's ridiculous how deep the Seahawks' defensive line is.

It's the perfect situation to provide quality snaps, even if they are limited.

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/e...fitt-was-caught-allegedly-urinating-in-public

Report: Seahawks G John Moffitt allegedly urinated in public

By Josh Katzowitz | NFL Writer

The Seahawks have had their share of problems recently -- mostly with PED suspensions -- and now guard John Moffitt, who is trying to win back a starting job, has had to miss practice to deal with the fallout of charges of trespassing and obstruction of justice.

He missed an OTA Tuesday because of a court hearing, and, according to the Seattle Post Intelligencer, it stems from a June 2012 incident in which police caught Moffitt allegedly urinating in a mall parking lot.

More from the P-I:

According to police, Moffitt had been banned from Bellevue Square mall -- and all Kemper Freeman properties -- for a year starting on Jan. 21, 2012. But Moffitt returned to the mall on June 14, and was spotted by Bellevue Square security allegedly urinating near a vehicle parked near Paddy Coyne's bar, according to an incident report.

Security called police, and officers looked for Moffitt near the Washington Square condos, where he was known to often hang out, according to the report. Police found two “very large males” running along the street, and one officer yelled for Moffitt to stop, the report states. Moffitt allegedly looked directly at one of the pursuing officers, then ran into the building.

Police identified Moffitt the next week, and they charged him with the two crimes, both misdemeanors. Police also say they caught Moffitt trespassing at another mall on August 25 and took him into custody without incident. It should also be noted that police needed to use two sets of handcuffs, "due to his large size and a recent shoulder injury."

Moffitt has another court hearing scheduled for June 14.

From Vic, beat writer for the Packers. It takes a lot to get opinions of other teams out of him but once in a while he posts something insightful, against the grain, and more often than not turns out to be right. I enjoy reading his stuff. This is also the guy that wrote back in 2006 about Rodgers after watching him warm-up before a game while Favre was starting ... "What are they waiting for? This is the guy ..."==== As for the Seahawks, I’m not convinced Wilson is the guy. I saw him in person and I wasn’t impressed. As the pocket tightens, he has to flush because he’s not tall enough to see over the rushers, and when he flushes, he usually flushes to the right. I think he has physical limitations and I think teams went to work on him in the offseason and I’ll be interested to see what the result will be in 2013.====This goes with my opinion that I think regardless of how talented the Seahawks are currently, they still take a step back this year and miss the playoffs. I see the 2011 Eagles... maybe not quite as deep of a fall but I don't think Wilson is long to be a super star in the league, and without a QB that can do it all you aren't winning in the postseason.

And that sucks because I really like Wilson ... I live in Wisconsin and loved watching him play for the Badgers. I hope he has long-term success but I don't think it is going to happen.

From Vic, beat writer for the Packers. It takes a lot to get opinions of other teams out of him but once in a while he posts something insightful, against the grain, and more often than not turns out to be right. I enjoy reading his stuff. This is also the guy that wrote back in 2006 about Rodgers after watching him warm-up before a game while Favre was starting ... "What are they waiting for? This is the guy ..."==== As for the Seahawks, I’m not convinced Wilson is the guy. I saw him in person and I wasn’t impressed. As the pocket tightens, he has to flush because he’s not tall enough to see over the rushers, and when he flushes, he usually flushes to the right. I think he has physical limitations and I think teams went to work on him in the offseason and I’ll be interested to see what the result will be in 2013.====This goes with my opinion that I think regardless of how talented the Seahawks are currently, they still take a step back this year and miss the playoffs. I see the 2011 Eagles... maybe not quite as deep of a fall but I don't think Wilson is long to be a super star in the league, and without a QB that can do it all you aren't winning in the postseason.

And that sucks because I really like Wilson ... I live in Wisconsin and loved watching him play for the Badgers. I hope he has long-term success but I don't think it is going to happen.
Since this guy is the Packers beat writer, I assume that means he saw him in person in week 3 last year. That was definitely not a particularly strong performance from Wilson, though he did lead them from behind to victory, and even if you think the final TD was a bad call, he still lead them to the doorstep at the end, which is reasonably impressive for a guy in his third game.

And that's my other point. It was just his third game. Two things happened later in the season that this beat writer did not see in person: Wilson improved with more reps, and the Seahawks opened up the offense. The Seahawks offense was dominant down the stretch last season, and so was Wilson. He performed well against several good defenses.

Wilson excelled in two major conferences in college and in his rookie NFL season. In all of those situations, his OL was much taller, and he had to move around, find the sight/throwing lanes, etc. I have no idea why some people seem to think that all of a sudden it's not going to work for him anymore. Unless he suffers a major injury, he's only going to get better going forward. That is his proven history.

You guys expecting Turbin to take a larger share of Lynch's carries this year?
Not me. I think the only reason Turbin gets more carries this year is if Lynch is suspended for his DUI or if he's injured. Otherwise, if Lynch is healthy, I expect it to be about the same as last year. If anything, Christine Michael might eat a little into Turbin's workload.

I read it was cleanup only from his ACL injury. Although messing around with the knee is rarely good, I have to think this was necessary and not a major concern.
It is when the knee is already messed up. Just another strike against a disappointing draft pick.
I think you're right that he didn't necessarily live up to the RT of the future pick, but everything I've read from Tom Cable seems to point to him having a very strong year...if he stays healthy. There's a reason Seattle didn't draft OL until the 7th round.

Wanted to quote this so we can laugh at it as the season goes along.

I read it was cleanup only from his ACL injury. Although messing around with the knee is rarely good, I have to think this was necessary and not a major concern.
It is when the knee is already messed up. Just another strike against a disappointing draft pick.
Ya, missing those games in June is not good.

Ya, missing those games in June is not good.
No games in June. Real games starts in September. These are OTA's. Training camp starts later. Exhibition games in August.

Keep up Scientist!

TJax on his way back to Seattle. Such an upgrade over Quinn.
I like this move. Tavarias is the perfect backup. Familiar with the team, has a ton of respect inside the locker room, good at not losing the game for you, and very clearly the backup. Though if Quinn beats him out, I think the FO has earned the fans' trust.

PFT/ PFT Planet version: Steve Largent, Cortez Kennedy, Walter Jones, Shaun Alexander.
Saw this list for a Seahawks "Mount Rushmore" recently. I go with Dave Krieg ahead of Alexander.

PFT/ PFT Planet version: Steve Largent, Cortez Kennedy, Walter Jones, Shaun Alexander.
Saw this list for a Seahawks "Mount Rushmore" recently. I go with Dave Krieg ahead of Alexander.
Krieg played there for a long time, but he was rarely above average. He made 3 Pro Bowls in 12 seasons in Seattle.

Kenny Easley is more deserving than both of them IMO.

Krieg played there for a long time, but he was rarely above average. He made 3 Pro Bowls in 12 seasons in Seattle.

I'm highly in favor of Easley over Alexander. I'd also put on there Hasselbeck as a better fit. In a few years I suspect this will change again to reflect how people feel about Earl Thomas, Sherman, and most likely Russell Wilson.

I must admit that Easley was my first thought (and he's my favorite all time Seahawk), but his career in Seattle was cut short. Dominated for a few years.

I strongly disagree that Krieg was rarely above average. When he retired he was top 10 in lots of various statistics. I don't think guys that are rarely above average get to stay in the league that long. I think Krieg epitomized the character of the great 80s teams in Seattle (both the good and the bad).

I'd also put on there Hasselbeck as a better fit.
Were you a fan during the 80s? If not due to age I can understand this perspective.
I've been a fan since the 70s (79 to be specific). And I'm certainly not saying who should be there, but who is deserving above Alexander. Hasselbeck is the best QB the Seahawks have had--I'm unsure why we're discussing Zorn and Krieg. My four still remain Largent, Easley, Kennedy, and Jones.

Hooper31 said:

I must admit that Easley was my first thought (and he's my favorite all time Seahawk), but his career in Seattle was cut short. Dominated for a few years.

I strongly disagree that Krieg was rarely above average. When he retired he was top 10 in lots of various statistics. I don't think guys that are rarely above average get to stay in the league that long. I think Krieg epitomized the character of the great 80s teams in Seattle (both the good and the bad).
Perhaps I overstated it by saying Krieg was rarely above average. He was above average from roughly 1984 to 1990, that's it. But even during that span, he had the highest interception percentage in the NFL, and he very likely had the most sacks and fumbles by any QB in that span as well (not available in DD). On top of that, he was 3-4 in the playoffs for the Seahawks.

Meanwhile, that 7 year stretch for Krieg is the same number of years Easley played for the Seahawks. Whereas Krieg made 3 Pro Bowls and never made 1st or 2nd team All Pro, Easley made 5 Pro Bowls, 3 1st team All Pro teams, and was Defensive MVP in 1984.

Easley is more deserving than Krieg IMO, and it's not close.

My four still remain Largent, Easley, Kennedy, and Jones.
I'm down with this. I think I can explain my pull towards Krieg. He had an "everyguy" quality about him. Like some average Joe off the street, and still he succeeded as a professional athlete. His whole demeanor and background played into the whole story. No name backup on a bad team takes over and leads them to a monster playoff win as a huge underdog in Miami against the high flying Marino led Dolphins. Where'd he go to college? Milton? Never heard of it. Oh, that's right, the school doesn't exist any more. Topping it all off his nickname is Mudbone and the dude is a total redneck hick. Seriously? Okay. I realize you probably all know this story, but for some reason I thought it was worth repeating.

When I was a kid Krieg would about give me a heart attack with those half under/half side shovel passes under pressure.

I'm too young to remember much of Easley (born in 79) but having Alexander on that list just rubs me the wrong way.

Hooper31 said:
As long as I'm digging up old clips.... Largent destroys Harden.
I remember that play when it happened and was so happy about it, since it was Harden that knocked him out (illegally if I remember correctly) earlier in the year. I still ####### hate the Broncos.

As long as I'm digging up old clips.... Largent destroys Harden.
I watched that live at age 9 or 10, loved it, and it still gives me goose bumps. So awesome.

I can't find video of the illegal hit from earlier in the season that Harden got fined for on Largent - the best thing about that hit is that it was absolute revenge (and completely legal.)

I think Turbin will get most of Leon's carries last year, meaning dedicated 3rd down back if it's more than 4 yards.

If you think the Hawks will have more games safely in hand going into the 4th quarter this season (which I do), Lynch looks more likely to end up with 250-280 carries instead of 310+ this season, as last season, Lynch was in at the end of all but 2 or 3 games. If the Hawks have 5 or 6 blowouts, expect to see Lynch pulled early and Turbin, Michael, and Ware sharing cleanup duty to seal the deal and save Lynch for the playoffs.

Finding the Fits: Williams hoping to Roll Tide in Seattle

By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

June 27, 2013 12:34 pm ET

This article is one of a series called Finding the Fits in which NFLDraftScout.com will review some of the more intriguing picks made during the 2013 NFL Draft. The goal of the series is to identify one relatively unheralded player per team who appears to be a good schematic fit and, therefore, more likely to be a surprise contributor early in his pro career.

Seattle's best fit: DL Jesse Williams, Alabama, Fifth Round, No. 137 overall

In allowing a league-low 15.3 points a game last season, the Seahawks' defense developed a reputation as one of the fiercest and most intimidating units in all of the NFL. Head coach Pete Carroll's defensive schemes certainly played a part. So, too, did astute drafting by general manager John Schneider and his staff. Perhaps the most understated reason for Seattle's dominating defense last season, however, was simpler -- the Seahawks were simply tougher and more aggressive than most opponents.

As such, it might feel a bit like a homecoming for rookie Jesse Williams, arguably the most fearsome defender in college football the past two seasons.

Nicknamed "Tha Monstar" at Alabama in part due to his heavily tattooed and massive frame (6-foot-4, 323 pounds), Williams ranked as one of the stouter run defenders in the 2013 draft and was widely viewed as a second-round value.

Instead, the former All-SEC defender slipped into Day 3 due in large part to medical concerns. Many scouts feel that the fifth round is the appropriate place to roll the dice on medical and character concerns. Seattle didn't waste much time once the fifth frame began, trading picks No. 165 (fifth round) and No. 199 (sixth) to the Detroit Lions to select Williams with the fourth pick of the round.

Williams twice underwent knee surgery while at Alabama, the most recent procedure taking place following Alabama's victory over Notre Dame to win its second consecutive BCS title. Recovery from surgery kept Williams sidelined for much of the combine. And while he performed well at Alabama's Pro Day, teams obviously remained concerned about his recovery.

Seattle initially pegged Williams as a three-technique defensive tackle. The Seahawks brought in former Miami Dolphin Tony McDaniel to help replace free-agent defection Alan Branch (Buffalo Bills), but Williams, as well as fellow rookie Jordan Hill, could wrestle away the starting role next to nose guard Brandon Mebane.

Since arriving in Seattle, however, Williams hasn't just impressed at the three-technique position but as a backup to Mebane on the nose and as a five-technique defensive end, as well. This isn't surprising, considering he played both roles well when called upon by Nick Saban and his staff at Alabama.

Following the draft, Carroll lauded his newest pupil.

"This is a really cool football player," Carroll said. "He's very, very strong, he's naturally stout and he's got a great toughness about him."

For a club that prides itself on toughness, Williams looks like the perfect fit.

Rookies bring the spackle to Seattle (other thoughts on the Seahawks' 2013 draft class)

The Seahawks were skewered by most a year ago for their bold selections of slim pass rusher Bruce Irvin in the first round and short quarterback Russell Wilson in the third.

A year later, they look like geniuses.

Demonstrating a poise rarely seen among any player -- and almost never with a first-year quarterback -- Wilson emerged as one of the league's brightest young stars. Irvin, despite not starting a single regular-season game, led all rookies with eight sacks. The club's second-round pick, middle linebacker Bobby Wagner, was overshadowed by his teammates' exploits but quietly finished seventh in the NFL with 140 tackles as a rookie.

Every general manager dreams of drafting a special rookie class that serves as the foundation for the franchise. One year in, and the Seahawks are confident their 2012 crop could be precisely this.

The 2013 class, on the other hand, won't be nearly as heavily leaned upon.

The Seahawks certainly expect veteran Percy Harvin to prove well worth the three picks (including No. 25 overall in the 2013 draft) that they surrendered to get him. Otherwise, most of Seattle's selections in 2013 were made to fill the small gaps in what appears on paper to be one of the league's deepest and most talented rosters.

Despite boasting the league's stingiest defense in 2012, Seattle rarely got much of a push up the middle in passing situations. Third-round defensive tackle Jordan Hill has the quickness and tenacity to aid in this role, as should Williams.

The Seahawks were fascinated by the natural running ability of second-round pick Christine Michael. The former Texas A&M standout boasts an electric combination of burst, agility and speed and gives the club a dynamic option should the ultra-physical Marshawn Lynch wear down. Similarly, the Seahawks are hopeful that big-bodied wideout Chris Harper can step in and contribute should veteran Sidney Rice struggle to duplicate last year's durability.

Fifth-round tight end Luke Willson could see more playing time than initially expected, as the club lost valuable backup Anthony McCoy to a torn Achilles in May. While Wilson is a work in progress as a blocker, the 6-foot-6, 251-pounder has rare speed (4.54) to complement sure-handed (but relatively slow-footed) veteran Zach Miller as the Seahawks' primary threat down the middle.

Former Oakland Raiders head coach Tom Cable successfully molded former North Carolina State defensive tackle J.R. Sweezy into a starting offensive guard a year ago and was rewarded with a similar project in New Hampshire's Jared Smith for 2013. Smith, Ryan Seymour and Michael Bowie each flashed during Seattle's rookie mini-camps and OTAs.

-- The Seahawks' 2013 draft class:

2nd Round -- No. 62 overall -- RB Christine Michael, Texas A&M

3rd Round -- No. 87 overall -- DT Jordan Hill, Penn State

4th Round -- No. 123 overall -- WR Chris Harper, Kansas State

5th Round -- No. 137 overall -- DT Jesse Williams, Alabama

5th Round -- No. 138 overall -- CB Tharold Simon, LSU

5th Round -- No. 158 overall -- TE Luke Willson, Rice

6th Round -- No. 194 overall -- FB Spencer Ware, LSU

7th Round -- No. 220 overall -- OG Ryan Seymour, Vanderbilt

7th Round -- No. 231 overall -- OLB Ty Powell, Harding

7th Round -- No. 241 overall -- OG (DT) Jared Smith, New Hampshire

7th Round -- No. 242 overall -- OT Michael Bowie, Northeastern State

-- Key Undrafted Free Agents Signed:

OG Alvin Bailey, Arkansas

WR Greg Herd, Eastern Washington

OLB John Lotulelei, UNLV

S Ray Polk, Colorado

Read more about all of the Seahawks' picks here.

Read all of the Finding the Fits series here.

Bruce Irvin moving to linebacker for Seattle Seahawks

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

When asked about taking Bruce Irvin with the No. 15 overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, Seattle Seahawks general manager John Schneider and coach Pete Carroll called him a "carbon copy" of Denver Broncos outside linebacker Von Miller.

It's no surprise then that Carroll now plans to switch Irvin from defensive end to strong-side linebacker, according to The News Tribune. Irvin will compete with Malcolm Smith for the starting job, a battle he's expected to win as soon as his four-game suspension expires.

Carroll believes it will be a natural transition for Irvin, who was the No. 1 defensive player on the Seahawks' draft board a year ago.

"He's extremely versatile, and that's why we've loved him from the start," Carroll explained. "He's really fast. He's 250 pounds, and he's exactly fitting the right kind of body type to play outside backer in the 3-4 system. We're a 4-3 personnel system that plays 3-4 looks. He's extremely valuable for us."

Irvin still will see snaps at defensive end in the nickel package, but this move appears to be a concession that he shies away from contact in the running game. The Seahawks have plenty of depth up front after signing Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett and adding Jordan Hill and Jesse Williams in the draft. "Leo" pass rusher Chris Clemons also expects to return from his anterior cruciate ligament injury by Week 1, though Carroll sounded a more cautious note.

The Seahawks already had the league's stingiest defense last season. Getting Irvin, Avril and Bennett on the field at the same time only will make this unit more imposing in 2013.

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.

I think Turbin will get most of Leon's carries last year, meaning dedicated 3rd down back if it's more than 4 yards. If you think the Hawks will have more games safely in hand going into the 4th quarter this season (which I do), Lynch looks more likely to end up with 250-280 carries instead of 310+ this season, as last season, Lynch was in at the end of all but 2 or 3 games. If the Hawks have 5 or 6 blowouts, expect to see Lynch pulled early and Turbin, Michael, and Ware sharing cleanup duty to seal the deal and save Lynch for the playoffs.
So you expect Turbin to get Leon's carries? That would be 23 carries and 4 receptions total for the season. Leon was primarily a return guy last year.

http://vimeo.com/56269655

cleardot.gif

Awesome video of the SF/SEA game.

I think Turbin will get most of Leon's carries last year, meaning dedicated 3rd down back if it's more than 4 yards. If you think the Hawks will have more games safely in hand going into the 4th quarter this season (which I do), Lynch looks more likely to end up with 250-280 carries instead of 310+ this season, as last season, Lynch was in at the end of all but 2 or 3 games. If the Hawks have 5 or 6 blowouts, expect to see Lynch pulled early and Turbin, Michael, and Ware sharing cleanup duty to seal the deal and save Lynch for the playoffs.
So you expect Turbin to get Leon's carries? That would be 23 carries and 4 receptions total for the season. Leon was primarily a return guy last year.
Your response is nitpicky. No, I don't see Turbin's carries dropping from 80 to 23...

But since you can't work it out yourself. I'll expand. Leon had 59 offensive plays (23 carries + 4 rec/8targets) last season as the third down back, and Turbin had 224 (80 carries + 19rec/23 targets) as a rotational player and third down back. I think Turbin gets 60 more offensive plays because Leon is gone, so figure 290 plays. Add another 20 or so plays if you assume increased garbage time in some blowouts, and that gets you to 310+ offensive snaps. Most of those plays will be in a 3rd down situations with 3 or 4 wideouts, and the secondary will be devoted to the threats of Harvin, Tate, Rice, and Miller, leaving Turbin in a prime situation to be utilized a bit more than he was last season as a receiving target. Let's say his target usage goes up from 10% to 14% (Leon's target rate was around 13.5%) and his carry rate stays about the same. It would be easy to see Turbin getting 110 carries and 50-60 targets without significantly stealing touches from Marshawn and that could end up being ~500 yards rushing, 400 yards receiving, and 6-10 TDs.

As a side note, Marshawn and Turbin have set a goal to combine for 2400 rushing yards, 1600 for Marshawn and 800 for Turbin. I think Carroll likes running the ball so much that those numbers are within the realm of possible.

Your response is nitpicky. No, I don't see Turbin's carries dropping from 80 to 23...

But since you can't work it out yourself. I'll expand.
Really? Since you can't work it out for yourself?

He wasn't saything that Turbin will have his touches drop to the level that Leon had last year. He was saying that Turbin will likely pick up the touches that Leon had in addition to the touches he had last year. So yeah, he sees Turbin's carries going up.

Users who are viewing this thread