What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2016 Democratic National Convention*** With no accountability, sky's the limit (1 Viewer)

How ridiculous is ABC News going to be when one day Donna Brazile has her ABC pundit's hat on and a few days later she has her "DNC Chairwoman" hat on being interviewed by former Clinton spokesman and Foundation contributor George Stephanopoulas.

Like how some are trying to paint this as a train wreck already.  DWS re-signing was probably coming at some point regardless.  The RNC is what a train wreck looks like.  Until you have someone like Bernie refuse to endorse Hilary, Black Panthers on stage, etc.  Then we can call it a train wreck. 
Yup. Trump's doing just fine in the polls after what was a complete fiasco leading up to his acceptance speech, a point or two better than I expected pre-convention even.  Most people here are online all day and track the 24/7 news cycle, but I think the vast majority of undecided voters just watch the prime time speeches and that's about it.

Like how some are trying to paint this as a train wreck already.  DWS re-signing was probably coming at some point regardless.  The RNC is what a train wreck looks like.  Until you have someone like Bernie refuse to endorse Hilary, Black Panthers on stage, etc.  Then we can call it a train wreck. 
Way too early and public for that, they'll wait until election day and make appearances at the polling places in November in Philly like they did in 2008 and 2012.

Can't believe DWS is still scheduled to speak today at the convention.  I thought they booted her from all activities there.  After she just got booed off the stage at a Florida delegation breakfast, I can't comprehend the value of putting her on a national stage like this.  What sort of optics are they looking to achieve by propping her up there?

3 years, 20M is what I'm hearing

Can't believe DWS is still scheduled to speak today at the convention.  I thought they booted her from all activities there.  After she just got booed off the stage at a Florida delegation breakfast, I can't comprehend the value of putting her on a national stage like this.  What sort of optics are they looking to achieve by propping her up there?
DWS must have some awful dirt on HRC...and that is a Hillary Standard that is hard to achieve!

How ridiculous is ABC News going to be when one day Donna Brazile has her ABC pundit's hat on and a few days later she has her "DNC Chairwoman" hat on being interviewed by former Clinton spokesman and Foundation contributor George Stephanopoulas.
Just another day in the mainstream media...

The good thing is Americans are getting more weary of the media...downright distrusting in many ways.

Link?  If she does show up, its to reinforce the Russian Narrative.

Here is the schedule posted on the DNC site:

https://www.demconvention.com/event-categories/july-25/

After everything is over this presidential election would make a great TV Dram....Sitcom.  I hope it's done right.

Edit: I still think there is a chance Trump is a huge plant by the Clintons because they knew all the dirt about her would come to the surface. The Don will no doubt do something in the next couple of months where it would be impossible for him to win.  Or he would come flat out and say he never wanted to be president. He just wanted to see if he could control the popular vote in America.  

Last edited by a moderator:
You're comparing a 100 train car wreck with a 110 train car wreck.  Is there really a point?  Yeah, they're technically different, but is that difference significant enough to point out?  Do the extra 10 cars make it worth ignoring the 100 car wreck?  Both are spectacular events.

You're comparing a 100 train car wreck with a 110 train car wreck.  Is there really a point?  Yeah, they're technically different, but is that difference significant enough to point out?  Do the extra 10 cars make it worth ignoring the 100 car wreck?  Both are spectacular events.
id say 100 and 500.  They had Chachi as a primetime speaker ffs

DWS staying on to open the convention is pure awesomeness.

Makes the convention must-see-TV - at least the opening.

Double Dose of  :tfp:  theater tonight with this and the Bachelorette.  
First Presidential debate on Monday, 9/26 during MNF (Falcons @ Saints) and second Presidential debate on Sunday, 10/9 during SNF (Giants @ Packers). I love that we'll get to see how the ratings of two National NFL games look vs. the debates, which will be must-see. I suspect Bach fans who aren't beholden to watch live will DVR and watch later, whereas both the debates and NFL prime time games are two things more people would want to see live.

The irony is strong with this one:

Hillary Clinton’s campaign manager said on Monday that Sen. Bernie Sanders (Vt.), her former primary challenger, will focus his address Monday night on coming together to fight a “rigged system.”

Stressing that the Democratic National Convention will be a “stark contrast” to the Republican’s nominating event last week, Robby Mook said that Sanders will be working to unite the party.

In his convention speech, Sanders will address “how we are stronger together,” Mook said, “to take on the rigged system ... and get the economy working for everyone.”

The irony is strong with this one:

Hillary Clinton’s campaign manager said on Monday that Sen. Bernie Sanders (Vt.), her former primary challenger, will focus his address Monday night on coming together to fight a “rigged system.”

Stressing that the Democratic National Convention will be a “stark contrast” to the Republican’s nominating event last week, Robby Mook said that Sanders will be working to unite the party.

In his convention speech, Sanders will address “how we are stronger together,” Mook said, “to take on the rigged system ... and get the economy working for everyone.”
He is owned 100% by the DNC if he delivers this speech in light of everything going on right now.

It would be awesome if Bernie went on stage and used Ted's vote your conscience line. And then put on a Gary Johnson cap and walked off stage.

He is owned 100% by the DNC if he delivers this speech in light of everything going on right now.
Setting aside the ridiculousness of judging the content of a speech based on a couple second-hand phrases about its content ... isn't it possible that Sanders thinks the best use of his time and influence is to do everything he can to make sure Trump is not the next president of the United States?  That seems like the noblest cause a progressive could take up these days.  After all, not only is Trump a dangerous embarrassment generally speaking, he also completely disagrees with Sanders on literally every issue but one (at least based on what we currently know about his positions), while Sanders and Clinton are largely in agreement on the vast majority of issues. One doesn't need to be "owned by the DNC" to think like that.  And in any event if he were owned by the DNC he wouldn't have been able to get them to reform their rules and platform the way he has.

Setting aside the ridiculousness of judging the content of a speech based on a couple second-hand phrases about its content ... isn't it possible that Sanders thinks the best use of his time and influence is to do everything he can to make sure Trump is not the next president of the United States?  That seems like the noblest cause a progressive could take up these days.  After all, not only is Trump a dangerous embarrassment generally speaking, he also completely disagrees with Sanders on literally every issue but one (at least based on what we currently know about his positions), while Sanders and Clinton are largely in agreement on the vast majority of issues. One doesn't need to be "owned by the DNC" to think like that.  And in any event if he were owned by the DNC he wouldn't have been able to get them to reform their rules and platform the way he has.
I get it, but taking his speech in that direction completely goes against a big part of his platform while he was still running of not being owned or beholden to anyone or anything to further his cause. I guess it saddens me most because it shows how truly powerful and in control the establishment really is, where Bernie has to fall on his sword after being (now confirmed) railroaded because the other option is so unpalatable, but now he's playing into the establishment he railed against. The anti-William Wallace, if you will.

Democracy Now program

Posted this link in the WikiLeaks thread - good interview today with Assange at 17 minute mark

Also, good segment at 38 minute mark (following Assange interview) with Clinton and Sanders representatives.  This week may not go so smoothly... :oldunsure:

I get it, but taking his speech in that direction completely goes against a big part of his platform while he was still running of not being owned or beholden to anyone or anything to further his cause. I guess it saddens me most because it shows how truly powerful and in control the establishment really is, where Bernie has to fall on his sword after being (now confirmed) railroaded because the other option is so unpalatable, but now he's playing into the establishment he railed against. The anti-William Wallace, if you will.
Falling on his sword suggests he lost.  He didn't lose.  He accomplished way more than anyone could have predicted when he began his campaign with the changes to the platform and the super delegates and whatnot, and that happened because of concessions by the DNC. If they were truly powerful and in control those things don't happen.

I see your perspective but to me it looks more like a reasonable marriage of convenience.  There's a much larger common enemy, so you find common ground, you each give a little, you learn to tolerate what you can't agree upon, and then you fight that larger common enemy.  It's been a pretty successful arrangement throughout human history.

OMG, so they've replace DWS at the podium, with Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings Blake, Secretary of the DNC. Pretty much the only thing America "knows" about her is that she sided with the rioters against the police last year (didn't actually happen like that, but that's what everyone says).

She's so bad, she couldn't even run for re-election in Baltimore. And now she's the face of the DNC? They have no f'ing idea what they are doing.

OMG, so they've replace DWS at the podium, with Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings Blake, Secretary of the DNC. Pretty much the only thing America "knows" about her is that she sided with the rioters against the police last year (didn't actually happen like that, but that's what everyone says).

She's so bad, she couldn't even run for re-election in Baltimore. And now she's the face of the DNC? They have no f'ing idea what they are doing.
I don't think this is a problem.  Nobody cares who gavels in the convention or speaks in the middle of the afternoon. I have no idea who did it last week- Priebus I guess?- and no recollection of it at all.  It was only getting attention because it was DWS right after the wikileaks mess.

From Trump's nomination speech:

In our nation's capital, killings have risen by 50 percent. They are up nearly 60% in nearby Baltimore.

And now they're rolling out the Mayor who oversaw this 60% increase in killings as the face of the Party's leadership. Probably not a big deal, but certainly another easy target for Trump.

Seriously.

Sanders, Warren, Clinton, Obama2, Biden all beat out Rawlings Blake for attention and publicity.  4:00pm speaking slot is a meh slot so no harm no foul for the DNC.

From Trump's nomination speech:

In our nation's capital, killings have risen by 50 percent. They are up nearly 60% in nearby Baltimore.

And now they're rolling out the Mayor who oversaw this 60% increase in killings as the face of the Party's leadership. Probably not a big deal, but certainly another easy target for Trump.
Pretty sure Barack Obama's being rolled out as the face of the party's leadership. 

We're overreacting to every little thing now, which is understandable. But remember how disastrously the RNC started?  The delegate walkouts, "Melania's" speech, Steve King's straight-up racism on CNN, Scott Baio, the Cruz rebellion- it was amazingly bad. And in the end all that stuff didn't really matter that much. They still got out their anti-Clinton, pro-fear and loathing message, humanized Trump as much as one can humanize Trump (not much), and got their bump in the polls.

id say 100 and 500.  They had Chachi as a primetime speaker ffs
Don't think the DNC will end up being THAT bad.  We'll see.  There's already a distinction made in Philly.  By all accounts, there's a ton of anti-Hillary shtick going on and much more aggressive than the #nevertrump crew.  If we are to believe reports, there is a daily march to the convention scheduled with thousands asked to participate.  For the goat rodeo the GOP convention was, this sort of divide didn't exist outside of people booing Ted Cruz (the other self proclaimed outsider) during the convention.  

Don't think the DNC will end up being THAT bad.  We'll see.  There's already a distinction made in Philly.  By all accounts, there's a ton of anti-Hillary shtick going on and much more aggressive than the #nevertrump crew.  If we are to believe reports, there is a daily march to the convention scheduled with thousands asked to participate.  For the goat rodeo the GOP convention was, this sort of divide didn't exist outside of people booing Ted Cruz (the other self proclaimed outsider) during the convention.  

Chaos grips GOP convention floor as delegates storm out over failed 'Never Trump' effort

Chaos briefly engulfed the floor of the Republican National Convention in Cleveland on Monday as "Never Trump" delegates from multiple states urged for a roll-call vote on a measure that would have unbound delegates.

Delegates opposed to Donald Trump erupted in anger after the chair of the convention found "insufficient support" for a vote that would allow Republican delegates to become "unbound," which would permit them to vote against Trump.

Earlier in the day, it appeared as though the state delegations attempting to unbind the delegates had the support necessary to force a roll-call vote, but several state delegations backed out at the last minute.

As the chair announced the failure of the rules-vote push, many delegates chanted "Roll-call vote," while pro-Trump delegates chanted "USA."

Delegates from states like Utah and Virginia sought recognition from the chair to call for a vote, but it was repeatedly rejected.

Sen. Mike Lee, a Utah delegate who has criticized the real-estate magnate for what he characterizes as dirty campaign tactics, said:

"I have never in all my life, certainly in six years in the United States Senate, prior to that as a lifelong Republican, never seen anything like this.

"There is no precedent for this in parliamentary procedure. There is no precedent for this in the rules of the Republican National Convention. We are now in uncharted territory. Somebody owes us an explanation. I have never seen the chair abandoned like that. They vacated the stage entirely."

Former Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli, who has been lobbying to unbind the delegate in Cleveland all week, threw his convention badge on the ground in protest after the measure failed.
I don't know if it's short- term memory loss or grading on the curve, but it's a little strange that people are making a bigger deal of the DWS screwup and the protests outside than they did of this stuff.

Chaos grips GOP convention floor as delegates storm out over failed 'Never Trump' effort

Chaos briefly engulfed the floor of the Republican National Convention in Cleveland on Monday as "Never Trump" delegates from multiple states urged for a roll-call vote on a measure that would have unbound delegates.

Delegates opposed to Donald Trump erupted in anger after the chair of the convention found "insufficient support" for a vote that would allow Republican delegates to become "unbound," which would permit them to vote against Trump.

Earlier in the day, it appeared as though the state delegations attempting to unbind the delegates had the support necessary to force a roll-call vote, but several state delegations backed out at the last minute.

As the chair announced the failure of the rules-vote push, many delegates chanted "Roll-call vote," while pro-Trump delegates chanted "USA."

Delegates from states like Utah and Virginia sought recognition from the chair to call for a vote, but it was repeatedly rejected.

Sen. Mike Lee, a Utah delegate who has criticized the real-estate magnate for what he characterizes as dirty campaign tactics, said:

"I have never in all my life, certainly in six years in the United States Senate, prior to that as a lifelong Republican, never seen anything like this.

"There is no precedent for this in parliamentary procedure. There is no precedent for this in the rules of the Republican National Convention. We are now in uncharted territory. Somebody owes us an explanation. I have never seen the chair abandoned like that. They vacated the stage entirely."

Former Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli, who has been lobbying to unbind the delegate in Cleveland all week, threw his convention badge on the ground in protest after the measure failed.
I don't know if it's short- term memory loss or grading on the curve, but it's a little strange that people are making a bigger deal of the DWS screwup and the protests outside than they did of this stuff.
I suspect it's because of all the predictions of riots and blowing up the state of Ohio prior to the GOP convention.  I've had more important things on my mind the last couple weeks and admitted I didn't see a whole lot of the GOP convention nor did I pay attention to all the protests going on at the GOP convention.  Are we not to expect something similar from Bernie supporters at the DNC that we saw from the #nevertrump yahoos?  I guess we'll see.  By the time I got to pay a little attention to the GOP convention, the #nevertrump stuff must have been stamped out because I didn't hear much about it Thursday.  Either that or the media/press dropped the ball again.

And FWIW, the divide isn't a big deal to me.  I just find it pretty entertaining given all the armageddon predictions made around the GOP convention.  Similar things are happening at the DNC convention.  I guess the good news is there are SOME people out there who get it?  That's about all the spin I can put on these sort of events and I'm not all that confident that's true.

Damn it....I thought I was losing my mind.  Didn't realize there were two DNC Convention threads :wall:   I thought I was being pruned for one reason or another....can we purge the other one?

I wonder what Trump will be doing during the DNC?  Like Hillary, he could choose to sit back and make comments on Twitter.  However, be has the draw tondo something that could steal viewers.  Just like he did during the primary debates.  An impromptu speech highlighting the leaked emails & corruption would definitely have me watching.

Voters on both sides are being asked to swallow a lot this year to "not vote for the other party's embarrassing candidate". A lot of talk about speeches to promote unity this week but based on today's appearances, the mood seems very suppressed to outright angry. I am sure they will all come together at the end of the week just like the Republicans did. 

Users who are viewing this thread