What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2016 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

They have to have a deal in place for Bernier.....right?????
not sure how much they can get for him at this point, but the options in free agency seem pretty bad.

not many teams left that need a goalie though. Calgary, NY Islanders, and Dallas only ones that jump out to me but some have their own contract issues to deal with at the position already.

EDIT to add:

James Mirtle@mirtle 3m3 minutes ago
Lamoriello: "You need two goaltenders to play."

Last edited by a moderator:
Bernier had a rough year, but I'm not convinced Andersen is even going to be better than him. Seems like a lot for Toronto to give up, but I guess it's better to get someone proven than to try to grab an 18yo goalie in the draft.

Sabres made the same type of move for Lehner last year.

@FlaPanthers getting the negotiating rights to UFA defenseman Keith Yandle for a draft pick as well as a conditional if he signs.

Sorry, Rud. It was a good run ...

Joe McDonaldESPN Staff Writer 

Peter Donatelli, who represents Jimmy Vesey, had this to say about the Buffalo Sabres acquiring the rights of his client from the Nashville Predators: "In our opinion, the only thing that has happened is now the Sabres have stepped into the shoes of Nashville for exclusive rights [to negotiate] until Aug. 15. However, at this time, it doesn't change Jimmy Vesey's intention to become a free agent on Aug. 15."

Sorry, Rud. It was a good run ...

Joe McDonaldESPN Staff Writer 

Peter Donatelli, who represents Jimmy Vesey, had this to say about the Buffalo Sabres acquiring the rights of his client from the Nashville Predators: "In our opinion, the only thing that has happened is now the Sabres have stepped into the shoes of Nashville for exclusive rights [to negotiate] until Aug. 15. However, at this time, it doesn't change Jimmy Vesey's intention to become a free agent on Aug. 15."
he hasn't gotten the press from Pegula and company yet though.

Bernier had a rough year, but I'm not convinced Andersen is even going to be better than him. Seems like a lot for Toronto to give up, but I guess it's better to get someone proven than to try to grab an 18yo goalie in the draft.

Sabres made the same type of move for Lehner last year.
I really like this trade.  We had to get rid of a goalie.  I would have been happy with one pick.  Anderson is good, but he never won the big games..

Possibly a maneuver to keep him exposed to the expansion draft or at least allow time to solidify a strategy. Too many good players to protect plus the "must-protect" guys. 
that isn't happening for at least another year, when he's a free agent.  the buyout is a no brainer, it's happening.  unless they have a deal being worked on to free up a bunch of cap space.

I'm going to be in Nashville for work for a week in mid November. Had been waiting on the schedule to hopefully catch a game or two while I'm in town.

Now I see they host 3 times the week before I'm there, 3 times the week after I'm there. Of course, on the road the week I'm there.  :thumbdown:

Report: Sabres going "absolutely all-in" on Steven Stamkos

TSN's Darren Dreger is hearing some big numbers connecting the Sabres to Stamkos.

"There's a lot of speculation that they're going absolutely all-in on Steven Stamkos. I mean, some of the numbers being rumored - and I always hate throwing out or building off rumors, because as an Insider, our job is to separate fact from fiction. But Newport isn't talking and neither is the Tampa Bay Lightning, so nothing has changed there. But some of the numbers being speculated on are upwards of $12 million per year coming out of Buffalo. "

not loving that price, but would be fun to add him to the team.

Steve Zipay ‏@stevezipay  35 minutes ago

Hearing Blackhawks seriously kicking tires on Evgeni Malkin. Will be interesting to see how they create cap space...
Zip can kind of be an idiot at times but is definitely not a random rumor guy, so I found this interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Malkin has a $9.5MM cap hit and they aren't parting with Toews, so the only way it probably works is if they ship out Kane. Tweet makes no sense.

Seems like a bad move from a franchise perspective.  They have a lot of young talent that they will need to re-sign, Stamkos would be a huge cap hit that would seriously hamper them going forward.
definitely has the potential to hurt in a few years, but also it's not often you get a chance to add one of the best players in the league. players they would lose in a cap crunch could also be traded away for assets like the Blackhawks have done.

O'Reilly is their highest paid player at the moment with a $7.5MM cap hit. Ristolainen is likely going to get a big raise as an RFA this year, but where he winds up will be key. Bogosian and E.Kane (only signed for 2 more years) are both close to $5MM cap hits so pretty reasonably priced. Eichel and Reinhart still have 2 more years left on their entry level deals so there is some time before their salaries start to spike.

Moulson is pretty useless and has a $5MM cap hit for 3 more years, but he's a buyout or salary dump candidate. Gionta has a $4MM cap hit coming off the books after this year. Gorges also has a $4MM hit that will be gone in 2018.

They could move Ennis ($4.6MM) if they get Stamkos. Girgensons (RFA) is already a guy in a lot of trade rumors, but I hope they keep him.

They aren't overpaying Lehner in goal, and he'll need a strong year to get a big raise when he's an RFA next summer.

I don't know. I think they could possibly make it work. I'm sure there will be a bunch of teams in the mix though (Toronto in particular) so I won't get my hopes up. Someone is going to pay him a boatload of money.

definitely has the potential to hurt in a few years, but also it's not often you get a chance to add one of the best players in the league. players they would lose in a cap crunch could also be traded away for assets like the Blackhawks have done.

O'Reilly is their highest paid player at the moment with a $7.5MM cap hit. Ristolainen is likely going to get a big raise as an RFA this year, but where he winds up will be key. Bogosian and E.Kane (only signed for 2 more years) are both close to $5MM cap hits so pretty reasonably priced. Eichel and Reinhart still have 2 more years left on their entry level deals so there is some time before their salaries start to spike.

Moulson is pretty useless and has a $5MM cap hit for 3 more years, but he's a buyout or salary dump candidate. Gionta has a $4MM cap hit coming off the books after this year. Gorges also has a $4MM hit that will be gone in 2018.

They could move Ennis ($4.6MM) if they get Stamkos. Girgensons (RFA) is already a guy in a lot of trade rumors, but I hope they keep him.

They aren't overpaying Lehner in goal, and he'll need a strong year to get a big raise when he's an RFA next summer.

I don't know. I think they could possibly make it work. I'm sure there will be a bunch of teams in the mix though (Toronto in particular) so I won't get my hopes up. Someone is going to pay him a boatload of money.
I think they could make it work, but Eichel and Reinhart are around the corner and $12MM a year makes it hard to maneuver.  It would be hard to resist adding Stamkos though, no matter what team you are.

Hard to believe the Hawks had four straight Hart Trophy winners from 1965-68, and haven't had one since.

Even harder to believe that no American ever has won it.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun  4m4 minutes ago
Keith Yandle has agreed to terms with the Florida Panthers: seven years and $6.35 million average per season

I don't know, that seems like a lot of term for a guy who's going to be 30 when the puck drops in October.

Being in Carolina (in know rude is in chi)  If they went all out for stamkos, I would drop 8k to be a sth again.  Win win for small market team with young talent to get a stud.

Keith Yandle has agreed to terms with the Florida Panthers: seven years and $6.35 million average per season

I don't know, that seems like a lot of term for a guy who's going to be 30 when the puck drops in October.
Ooooooof. That deal is the drizzling ####s. NMC, too.

Shame on the Rangers for not moving him at the deadline and recouping a good amount of what they gave up to get him. This team wasn't built to win this year and they obviously weren't going to match this kind of deal (which is the equivalent of $7MM+ in NYC with taxes). 

I'll defend the trade to my death despite whatever Duclair turns into; he was exactly what the team needed in 14-15 and was shockingly strong defensively in the playoffs. Problem was it took the coach a full year to give him the responsibility and ice time needed to fully take advantage of his skills. Goes to show how important it is to have buy-in throughout the organization.

Will be interesting to see where Brian Campbell goes. I know he's a lot older than Yandle but he's still better than him IMO. If you buy the analytics, he's one of the best possession drivers in the league. Already rumours of him going to Chicago for cheap, but I think he gets one last payday somewhere.

Yeah, term seems excessive but for Yandle to give up a shot at open bidding, they were going to have to overspend on either term or salary. They chose term. 

Interesting thing with this and many signings this offseason is how it affects who FLA can protect in expansion draft.

that isn't happening for at least another year, when he's a free agent.  the buyout is a no brainer, it's happening.  unless they have a deal being worked on to free up a bunch of cap space.
My bad on the expansion take, but what the Wild do with Vanek is a consideration in the expansion discussion as it will affect their plan.

I'm just not convinced 100% that they'll buy Vanek out. What do you replace him with for $6.5? He still has the potential to score 20-25 goals and he's an excellent passer.

Keeping Vanek can be considered a way to free up cap space next year since he's got only one year left. His value partially, in NBA-terms, is as an expiring contract.  If they dump him now and try to bring in a scorer, the scorer will command a multi-year deal at a big number. 

Either move him as part of a larger deal with Dumba to get a scorer or let him play out his year with a new coach/system. If you can get a reclamation guy or underperforming upside guy such as a Nino with a year or two left then yeah, buy Vanek out. 

johnnyrock62000 said:
My bad on the expansion take, but what the Wild do with Vanek is a consideration in the expansion discussion as it will affect their plan.

I'm just not convinced 100% that they'll buy Vanek out. What do you replace him with for $6.5? He still has the potential to score 20-25 goals and he's an excellent passer.

Keeping Vanek can be considered a way to free up cap space next year since he's got only one year left. His value partially, in NBA-terms, is as an expiring contract.  If they dump him now and try to bring in a scorer, the scorer will command a multi-year deal at a big number. 

Either move him as part of a larger deal with Dumba to get a scorer or let him play out his year with a new coach/system. If you can get a reclamation guy or underperforming upside guy such as a Nino with a year or two left then yeah, buy Vanek out. 
you're looking at this all wrong, it's something that is needed just to make the rest of the roster fit.  they have roughly $9MM in cap space with only 15 players under contract and Zucker, Dumba, and Kuemper all RFA needing to be signed.  plus you never want to go into the season up against the cap and have a couple million in wiggle room to give a little flexibility for small roster moves which occur weekly.  it's not like they are going to take that money and go make a splash, they need the room just to manage the existing roster.  it's a no brainer unless they were able to somehow trade Pominville or Koivu which isn't happening because those contracts are not tradable. 

I think a big trade is coming at the draft and they ship out one of Dumba/Scandella/Brodin for a center but it still is unlikely they'd end up with enough room where buying out Vanek wouldn't make sense.  you can't just move Vanek either without giving something up/retaining salary just for someone to take his cap hit.  he's a salary dump at this point with his low production so they'd have to lose a trade to move him.

Love Doughty but Karlsson had one of the most amazing years for a defenseman ever. Only lost bc his team missed the playoffs. 
He also pretty much sucks at the defensive aspect of being a defenseman.  82 points... -2.  Norris is supposedly for best all-around defenseman. i think this year they got it right.

Maybe what they need are 2 totally separate awards for defensemen. They have a best defensive forward award, have a stay-at-home defenseman award.  Name it in honour of Hal Gill :P

He also pretty much sucks at the defensive aspect of being a defenseman.  82 points... -2.  Norris is supposedly for best all-around defenseman. i think this year they got it right.

Maybe what they need are 2 totally separate awards for defensemen. They have a best defensive forward award, have a stay-at-home defenseman award.  Name it in honour of Hal Gill :P
I've been arguing this for years. I also have known Hal Gill since he was in HS and fully endorse this!

Users who are viewing this thread