What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2016 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread*** (2 Viewers)

you're looking at this all wrong, it's something that is needed just to make the rest of the roster fit.  they have roughly $9MM in cap space with only 15 players under contract and Zucker, Dumba, and Kuemper all RFA needing to be signed.  plus you never want to go into the season up against the cap and have a couple million in wiggle room to give a little flexibility for small roster moves which occur weekly.  it's not like they are going to take that money and go make a splash, they need the room just to manage the existing roster.  it's a no brainer unless they were able to somehow trade Pominville or Koivu which isn't happening because those contracts are not tradable. 

I think a big trade is coming at the draft and they ship out one of Dumba/Scandella/Brodin for a center but it still is unlikely they'd end up with enough room where buying out Vanek wouldn't make sense.  you can't just move Vanek either without giving something up/retaining salary just for someone to take his cap hit.  he's a salary dump at this point with his low production so they'd have to lose a trade to move him.
Not to mention he was a miserable #$$##head until he got his way and went "home" after the Islanders traded for him. So he's pretty much made his bed and no one would want him when they know he doesn't want to be anywhere esle. 

He also pretty much sucks at the defensive aspect of being a defenseman.  82 points... -2.  Norris is supposedly for best all-around defenseman. i think this year they got it right.

Maybe what they need are 2 totally separate awards for defensemen. They have a best defensive forward award, have a stay-at-home defenseman award.  Name it in honour of Hal Gill :P
Not true. That's a very flawed stat to measure defensive ability. He drives possession (generates way more shots than he gives up).

Last edited by a moderator:
Flyers sign Radko Gudas to a 4 year extension at 3-3.5 per. I like it. :thumbup:
Slightly more than I was hoping and not sure the 4th year is necessary but it's within reason.

Big question is can he continue to play like did second half of this season.

And is this deal a precursor to a Streit trade?

Slightly more than I was hoping and not sure the 4th year is necessary but it's within reason.

Big question is can he continue to play like did second half of this season.

And is this deal a precursor to a Streit trade?
Takes him to 31 so I think we could avoid the danger zone on this one. At least I hope of course, and he stays healthy. 

ETA: Mckenzie retweeted this from general fanager. Don't know all the players that well so I trust that Mckenzie agrees.

Gudas (4 yr @ $3.35M) comparables:

Despres 5 @ $3.7M

Fayne 4 @ $3.625M

Smid 4 @ $3.5M

Dillon 5 @ $3.27M

I can't imagine anyone would be excited about taking on Streit's number considering his obvious decline this past season. Although the actual money is less than his cap hit I believe, so he could be useful to a lower cap team. I wouldn't mind it if Hexy can somehow find a suitor. He's been pretty damn good at it so far. 

That's nuts.  Only one American -- besides Billy Burch -- has ever been the best?
LaFontaine almost won one In 1993 but Super Mario put up 160 points in 60 games while battling cancer. 

Edit: Brett Hull won in 1991 and he has dual citizenship. Played for Team USA in The Olympics. 

Aaron Rudnicki said:
LaFontaine almost won one In 1993 but Super Mario put up 160 points in 60 games while battling cancer. 

Edit: Brett Hull won in 1991 and he has dual citizenship. Played for Team USA in The Olympics. 
Also, while Burch was born in Yonkers, he moved to Canada at a young age. You could argue Hull's more of an American than Burch was.

Flames expected to trade for a goalie this weekend most expecting it to be Bishop or Elliott. With MAF mentioned as an outside chance. 

Flames expected to trade for a goalie this weekend most expecting it to be Bishop or Elliott. With MAF mentioned as an outside chance. 
Word is they view Elliott as the "discount" option if they don't get Bishop or MAF. Which is probably fair.

Expect Kevin Shattenkirk to be with a new team before long as he's the best non-Subban defenseman available. Arizona leads the sweeptstakes, according to reports, with Boston, NYR, and Buffalo also in the mix. Apparently Armstrong has rejected competitive offers already, so I expect the package will be a good one as he's being pretty patient.

Edit: And as I post that...

Craig Morgan

Hearing that St. Louis Blues defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk is no longer a primary target for the Coyotes. They've turned attention elsewhere.

Craig Morgan 
As a follow to previous tweet, Shattenkirk to Coyotes is not dead, but team has had other talks. Wild RHD Matt Dumba is player of interest.

Shattenkirk would want to sign on the East Coast when his current deal is up, being from Connecticut and having played at BU. Plus, that Yandle deal just set off the cash register sounds in his head, rightly so.

In other news, Jim Benning being investigated for tampering for discussing Subban and Stamkos yesterday during a radio interview.

Canucks gotta Canuck.

Vanek confirms he's being bought out.  had to be done and would have been happy to see it even if that wasn't the case.

Fletch> now make someone take Pommer's contract when you deal a D man.  seller's market right now.

Vanek confirms he's being bought out.  had to be done and would have been happy to see it even if that wasn't the case.

Fletch> now make someone take Pommer's contract when you deal a D man.  seller's market right now.
Wonder if Vanek would go back to the Isles to play alongside Tavares. They can't possibly bungle that any worse than they did the last time, can they?

Calgary allowed to talk extension with Bishop. Sucks. :(
I get the cap reasons and Vasilevskiy should round out into a solid goalie, but he'll never be as good as Bishop IMO and they are primed to win now.  I'd roll with both and worry about cap later unless they get a great package back that really helps the blue line.

if Fletch can pull a Dumba/Pommer for Christain Dvorak and a pick and then sign Okposo that would be great.

probably likely they end up with RNH though in a deal that involves one of Dumba/Scandella/Brodin as has long been rumored.  makes too much sense and allows Granny/Coyle to play more at the wing.

Trying to think of father-son combos that have both gone in the first round of the draft. So far I've got:

Steve/Jeff Tambellini
Mike/Nick Foligno
Brent/Brandon Sutter

Any others I'm forgetting?

Should add two more tonight with Matthew (Keith) Tkachuk and Kieffer (Brian) Bellows.

I get the cap reasons and Vasilevskiy should round out into a solid goalie, but he'll never be as good as Bishop IMO and they are primed to win now.  I'd roll with both and worry about cap later unless they get a great package back that really helps the blue line.
I've read a lot of people who say he has Carey Price level talent. But #### if I know. 

Trying to think of father-son combos that have both gone in the first round of the draft. So far I've got:

Steve/Jeff Tambellini
Mike/Nick Foligno
Brent/Brandon Sutter

Any others I'm forgetting?

Should add two more tonight with Matthew (Keith) Tkachuk and Kieffer (Brian) Bellows.
Guess the rest of the list is ...

Darryl/Ryan Sittler
Dave/Sam Gagner
Bob/Logan MacMillan

No draft thread? First surprise off the board in Dubois #3 to Columbus. Announcers had a feeling it might not be JESSE PULJUJARVI.

Dreger is saying Elliott to the Flames.

Good news for Cappy. Bad news for Cal-Gary. #cantwin

Dreger is saying Elliott to the Flames.

Good news for Cappy. Bad news for Cal-Gary. #cantwin
No more Blame Elliott. :kicksrock:  

In honesty, probably the right move to get something good for him now. One more year to UFA, Blues facing some mild cap issues, Allen's waited long enough, and Elliott's on the wrong side of 30. 

Can't say I am completely surprised by the Shaw trade (although it did surprise me, oddly enough). Wonder if there's any way they can open up enough space to get Ladd. I know it's wishful thinking. 

Yet another in the long list of reasons why the NHL is better than the NBA: They allowed trades to be announced right away. No charade of kids putting on a hat and saying, "I'm so thrilled to be drafted by blah blah YOUR TEAM HERE" when everyone in the world already knows they've been dealt.

No real big rises or falls this year, although Keller may have gone a few spots higher than projected. But pretty much everyone so far was projected in the top 10-12.

Yet another in the long list of reasons why the NHL is better than the NBA: They allowed trades to be announced right away. No charade of kids putting on a hat and saying, "I'm so thrilled to be drafted by blah blah YOUR TEAM HERE" when everyone in the world already knows they've been dealt.
And one reason it's better than NFL is having the entire executive team right there on the floor at the draft. 

McAvoy is a fine pick for #14, but hard to see him over Chychrun. That said, At this time last year, Chychrun was pretty much consensus #2, and everyone is passing on him so they must know something 

Users who are viewing this thread