What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** 2016 Summer Olympics (2 Viewers)

Replays in the Olympics?? China challenged a call, review deemed successful on winning point and China celebrates and is leaving the court as the Swiss team argues and then the officials overturn the review and make them continue playing. :loco:
Yeah, that was a mess. They actually ended up with the right call, but seriously screwed up the rules in doing so.
You know kind of reminded me of a college football game a couple of years back. One team challenged something, won the review but the booth missed something else obviously wrong on the play. Then the other team used a challenge to challenge that part, and ending up winning it and they finally got the call right as a result.

I was wondering if it was like that. China challenges Swiss were in the net but reviewer doesn't pay attention to the rest of the play. And then let maybe let the Swiss challenge that the Chinese were in the net first.

Wouldn't surprise me if the rules address the challenge result being final, but don't say the other team can't challenge something else from the point that happened earlier.  Though if so then it should have been a point for the Swiss, not replay the point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gerek Meinhardt with a comeback win and Alex Massialas cruises, both into the round of 8 in men's foil.  I believe they will face each other in the semis if they both win their quarters.

As a cable cutter with only access to NBC, this cycling coverage is pretty much the worst.  
That wipeout that just happened is terrifying. It didn't look good at all.

And yeah, the way these JOs are talking about what the new leader must be thinking seems incredibly crass. 

NEWS: Annemiek @AvVleuten ? is ok , medical rescue is on the way. 

Just found this.  Don't know anything about the source though, but probably a good sign.

Terrible crash to see live and a sad ending for the American. Thanks for ruining my Sunday, NBC.

Men's fencing semifinal on MSNBC.
USA's Alexander Massialas through to the men's foil individual final after a 15-9 win over Britain's Richard Kruse.  No American man has ever won an individual foil gold.

ETA - no American man has medaled in an individual fencing event since 1984.

what's really great about the new forum is you never know what text is going to appear in the reply box, or what you will have to do to actually submit a reply without pre-existing text/formatting. neat.

I've always thought that those breakaways that are out front for 200km and get caught at the line in a stage race would be awful.  She wasn't out front for very long, but to think you've got an Olympic gold and get run down at 150m would be even more brutal.

Ok, so I have no idea what is going on in this fencing match. It just looks like they're hitting each other at the same time every time

Ok, so I have no idea what is going on in this fencing match. It just looks like they're hitting each other at the same time every time
Foil and sabre fencing are governed by something called "right-of-way".  Basically, in order to score a touch, you need to have right-of-way.  It is a subjective measure, but generally things like being the first to extend your arm, being the first to threaten the opponent's target area, etc., give a fencer right-of-way.  Only 1 fencer can have right-of-way at a time.  So if the two fencers both hit valid target area, only the one with right-of-way scores.  It is easily the most confusing part of the sport.

Epee does not have right-of-way rules and simultaneous touches are common; both fencers score a point if they touch within something like 40 milliseconds of one another.

Users who are viewing this thread