What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2018 St. Louis Cardinals Thread*** -- Matheny gone (2 Viewers)

Not sure which one I would have guessed first: Grichuk getting sent down, or Kolten Wong playing some CF to get more at-bats.

Don't mind the experiment.  Wong played a lot of CF in college, and adding a position to his resume only helps the team depth (and Wong's trade value, if they need to go that route).

Frustrating season, but it is nice having some depth with the bats. Remember when Descalso played 1B because he was the only backup infielder?

Man, the starting pitching has really taken it to a new level.  Quality start after quality start.

The pieces are there....just need to put it together, preferably at the same time.

So, at 3B, SS, 2B, you have

Gyorko/Garcia

Diaz/Garcia/Gyorko

Wong/Garcia/Gyorko

In an absolute emergency, you could maybe go to Piscotty at 3B. 

Seems reasonable.

It's really only a matter of time before we see a late inning substitution followed by an injury and Mike Leake playing 2B or SS.

A hint of heart?
The next two weeks will tell us a lot.  Big series against fellow wild-card contender Miami this weekend, then nine games against CIN-ATL-CIN, then four at Wrigley.    Great opportunity to make a big move in the standings.

Lance Lynn faced a few live hitters today.  Team said his rehab is going great and haven't ruled out activating him in September.  

This team is starting to be really fun to watch this year. I just don't understand why they are struggling so much at home, but right now, they can beat any team, any pitcher, in any park, in any inning.

Thanks for getting the playoff vibe going with the Marlins. I think those 7 games are it so Miami holds a 4-3 lead in head to head play and ironically are 1 game ahead now. 

Nothing but respect for the "Cardinals Way" 

The series was good for Miami to get a taste of what more intense games will look like. 

Thanks for getting the playoff vibe going with the Marlins. I think those 7 games are it so Miami holds a 4-3 lead in head to head play and ironically are 1 game ahead now. 

Nothing but respect for the "Cardinals Way" 

The series was good for Miami to get a taste of what more intense games will look like. 
Well - sadly the Cardinal Way has forgotten about the defensive side of the game. Pham won't be reminding me of Edmonds or Willie in center

Well - sadly the Cardinal Way has forgotten about the defensive side of the game. Pham won't be reminding me of Edmonds or Willie in center
Yeah, some of those center field hits we had seemed like we got lucky a couple times with inexperience at the CF position. 

The next two weeks will tell us a lot.  Big series against fellow wild-card contender Miami this weekend, then nine games against CIN-ATL-CIN, then four at Wrigley.    Great opportunity to make a big move in the standings.
Opportunity blown.  

Hope the Dodgers catch the Giants in the West so the Wild Card Game can be at AT&T against Bumgarner.

Hell of an AB by Gyorko - about 8 fouled off pitches and then a 2 run HR on the 3-2 count in the 9th with 2 out to tie it up. Need to follow it up here in extra innings

Last edited by a moderator:
Cards back at home .... and continuing to play like crap. Anyway they can just stay on road the rest of the season?

Man, what a strange and awful call. Combine that with a bad strikezone and a really bad error on Garcia that cost them 4 runs and it's just another big hole they find themselves in at home.

Without that comeback win tonight, I think we were done. Huge, huge rally that could save the season.  Gonna be a wild ride to the finish it seems.

Im not familiar...what rule are we talking about? 
They showed it on MLB Network this morning.  Inning ending plays, coaches need to let the umps know they might challenge within 10 seconds and decide for sure at 30 seconds.  Game ending plays, like last night, needs "immediate" notification. 

That rule is ridiculous. Even 10 seconds for a game ending play isn't enough. Between crowd noise and just giving video guys a chance, it needs to be longer.

That said, that's the rule.  As the umps walked off, they looked into Cincy dugout and when they had no indication of a challenge, they kept walking.  It's not on them and Price said the same. The problem was the rule, not the application of it.  Sucks if SF gets the shaft because of this.  Also unfortunate Duvall didn't raise his arms and alert anyone when he saw it go off the wall.

Also not a sure thing STL loses without the blown call.  If they got the call right, STL has runners on second and third.  Two outs, but Piscotty up or Wong/PH with the bases loaded.  CIN had the bottom of their order due up in the 10th had it gotten there, too.

Holliday released a statement this afternoon thanking the team and the fans for all the memories.  He's been told his option won't be picked up.  Gave us a good-bye HR tonight.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Holliday, but no ill will towards him.  Off the field, he did a TON of charity work, often with no cameras around.  Matt and Leslee donated a lot of money and time to pediatric wards of local hospitals.  Matt and his family filled in some gaps in the Pujols Foundation after Albert signed with the Angels.  Color me impressed.  There's a lot of famous people who make sure the press is there to make a lot more to fuss over a lot less giving.  

So, $1MM buyout instead of the $17MM option for 2017.  He's hoping the team spends that "extra" $16MM wisely.  

Users who are viewing this thread