What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2019 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* - Season's over; Go Away Now... (1 Viewer)

Breakout game for Sanders.

Eagles played great with back against the wall in Green Bay. COuld see that happening again today. Stay within a game of .500 going into the final stretch this team makes the playoffs. Lose today and that seems very unlikely.

Eagles 28-17

Last edited by a moderator:
What’s the best source for checking weather.....is wind so bad we won’t be passing or don’t overreact?
Checked for options other then Wentz, but he's my SF n most leagues and the other options don't carry close to the same ceiling. Philly mostly passes short nowadays....the wind might actually be a comparative advantage for the Eagles. I'm thinking 220/2/1

Checked for options other then Wentz, but he's my SF n most leagues and the other options don't carry close to the same ceiling. Philly mostly passes short nowadays....the wind might actually be a comparative advantage for the Eagles. I'm thinking 220/2/1
Like him better than Rivers @CHI?

I could see it helping Ertz a bit but as far as Wentz, not sure if most appreciate what 25-30 mph winds with wind gusts up to 50 mph will do to the passing game. Add in all the possible extra INTs, no thanks. I'd take Rivers in CHI.

Breakout game for Sanders.

Eagles played great with back against the wall in Green Bay. COuld see that happening again today. Stay within a game of .500 going into the final stretch this team makes the playoffs. Lose today and that seems very unlikely.

Eagles 28-17
Great call here.

Interesting trade scenarios discussed by NJ.com

So, NJ Advance Media’s Eagles (Zack Rosenblatt) and Jets (Matt Stypulkoski) beat writers got together to discuss possible deals between the two organizations.

TRADE PROPOSAL NO. 1

Eagles get: DL Leonard Williams, 2020 sixth-round pick

Jets get: 2020 fourth-round pick, CB Sidney Jones

Rosenblatt thoughts: Matt has a better understanding about what Williams brings to the table skill-wise so I’ll defer to him on that, but what I see is a young, talented defensive lineman in the last year of his contract having a bad season.

Williams’ value has probably never been lower than it is right now, and it seems like a safe bet that he’d leave New York as a free agent in the offseason anyway.

From the Eagles’ perspective, they desperately need an infusion of youth and talent, especially on the defensive line. Roseman had to sign two defensive tackles off other team’s practice squads this week and they’ll likely turn around and get significant playing time on Sunday.

Williams, just 25, hasn’t been the same level of pass rusher in the NFL as he was in college, though he still did get five sacks just last season, which is a massive step-up from the Eagles’ secondary pass-rushers. The Eagles can test Williams out and see if he’s worth re-signing in the offseason.

Buy Carson Wentz Eagles gear: Fanatics, NFL Shop, Lids, Champs Sports, ****'s Sporting Goods

As for Jones, he’s fallen out of favor in Philadelphia but Douglas was part of the scouting staff that drafted him in the second round only two years ago and he might find a resurgence with a change of scenery.

What do you think, Matt? Would it be a fool’s errand to invest in Williams?

Stypulkoski thoughts: There’s no doubt that Williams has underwhelmed the expectations that come along with being a No. 6 overall pick. His sack numbers haven’t been there since 2016, when he notched seven in his second season. He’s tallied just seven total over the past two-plus years, including a whopping zero this season.

That said, Williams still has value as an interior defensive lineman because he’s strong against the run. And even without getting home for the sack, he can be disruptive; he notched 25 quarterback hits in 2017, even as he produced a career-low two sacks. He had another 20 hits last season, too, and has five through the first six games of 2019.

And, for what it’s worth, the Jets’ coaching staff loves Williams, even as fans get on his case. Just Thursday, head coach Adam Gase rallied to his player’s defense.

“I know you guys ask me about him a lot,” Gase said, “and I guess I look at him differently just because I just know that teams have to handle him. You just don’t see him get one-on-ones a lot. He’s always got two guys on him.”

Williams’ scaled-down production due to constant double teams have been the party line for several years now, under two different head coaches.

As for the Jets’ return in this trade, turning a sixth-round pick into a fourth makes perfect sense. Some may argue that the Jets could simply stand pat with Williams and get a compensatory pick for letting him walk in free agency instead. But that pick is far from guaranteed, considering how much work Douglas has to do this offseason. There’s a realistic chance he’ll sign more compensatory free agents than he loses, which would scrap the Jets’ chances of getting a pick for Williams. Locking in a surefire upgrade in the draft right now is the way to go.

Adding Sidney Jones to the secondary couldn’t hurt, either. He hasn’t panned out in Philadelphia, but Douglas clearly liked him. The Jets’ cornerback corps needs some serious work, too. Might as well roll the dice on a guy Douglas is familiar with and see if the reunion can reignite the 23-year-old’s career. Worst case, he’ll add some much-needed depth behind the shoddy starting tandem of Trumaine Johnson and Darryl Roberts.

TRADE PROPOSAL NO. 2

Eagles get: WR Robby Anderson, 2020 seventh-round pick

Jets get: 2020 third-round pick, WR Mack Hollins

Rosenblatt thoughts: If the Eagles trade for Anderson, that might mean the team isn’t very optimistic about DeSean Jackson returning to full health. Either way, Anderson is a player worth pursuing.

The Eagles need more speed on offense whether Jackson is healthy or not, and that’s what Anderson brings to the table. He’s only 26 and will be a free agent this offseason. If he’s worth keeping around, the Eagles will re-sign him, or let him leave and reap the compensatory rewards in 2021.

Alshon Jeffery looks like a shell of himself, Nelson Agholor has struggled quite a bit, Jackson is injury prone (and 32) and rookie J.J. Arcega-Whiteside isn’t ready to make an impact.

If the Eagles want to make the playoffs, they need more players who can create separation, and they pursued Anderson last year anyway.

Hollins is a throw-in, another player who was drafted when Douglas was around and is still young (26) with an ability to at least help the Jets on special teams.

So Matt, what’s your read on Anderson? Is he worth a third-round pick?

Stypulkoski thoughts: It’s borderline. But considering the Eagles’ need at wide receiver and their need to make a push to save this season, it’s probably worth the risk for Roseman.

Anderson’s biggest issue is his lack of both strength and consistency. Patriots cornerback Stephon Gilmore shut Anderson down last week – as he always has in the past – because he can simply out-physical the scrawny wideout. Anderson is also prone to going through stretches where he disappears; but there’s a chance that his consistency could actually tick up if he’s placed in an offense where he’s one of a few weapons, instead of being the clear-cut most-explosive option, which often leads opposing defenses making him a major focus. Odds are, being with the Eagles would help him – at least a little bit – in that regard.

The bright side? Even with those struggles, Anderson can take the top off the defense and have a huge day at any given moment. He proved that against the Cowboys, when he caught five passes for 125 yards, including a 92-yard touchdown. That was far from his first big, explosive day, either.

The downside for the Jets here is that trading Anderson would effectively ship away Darnold’s only legitimate perimeter threat. Sorry, but an aging Demaryius Thomas doesn’t quite count. Jamison Crowder is a nice slot piece, but can’t carry an offense.

Buy Sam Darnold Jets gear: Fanatics, NFL Shop, Lids, Champs Sports, ****'s Sporting Goods

So, dealing Anderson would probably make for really, really tough sledding for Darnold and an already downtrodden Jets offense. With that in mind, a third-round pick is probably needed to convince Douglas to part with Anderson and all but guarantee more second-half struggles for his young QB.

Bringing Hollins back in return would help soften the blow of Anderson’s loss at least a little bit; the Jets have very suspect depth at wideout, so there’s a chance he could actually see some playing time if this trade were to go down.

I know it was windy and bad conditions for passing the ball, but what a difference it makes when you can trust your defense to make a big stop when needed.  On that Bills 4th down play that Darby knocked down, it seems like those are the kind of plays that always get converted vs us. 

Can't believe the Bears hit an upright on a FG today, and also missed a 41 yarder for the wine at the end.  Now they have to think about that the whole week they prepare for Philly. 

Expecting to be around a 4.5 point fave in that game.  Will be our first home game in 4 weeks.  Feeling a 23-17 type game..

Can't believe the Bears hit an upright on a FG today, and also missed a 41 yarder for the wine at the end.  Now they have to think about that the whole week they prepare for Philly. 

Expecting to be around a 4.5 point fave in that game.  Will be our first home game in 4 weeks.  Feeling a 23-17 type game..
Bears look all out of sorts.  Should be a win

We better win because the top of the NFC is so good right now. Niners 7-0, Saints 7-1, Packers 6-1, Seahawks 6-2, Vikings 6-2. Plus the Cowboys just Beat the #### out of us. We are no where near the top right now. We have to beat everyone we're supposed to and hope we can eek out a few others. 

So the 2 best games we've had this year have been when we dominated on the ground. I think we have a blueprint on how to win. Let's hope the coaching staff analyzes the film and agrees.
And not being down by double digits in the first half also helped. Can the NFL outlaw passing against the Eagles? That would help us out a lot. Josh Allen and the weather helped our pass defense tremendously this week.

I know it was windy and bad conditions for passing the ball, but what a difference it makes when you can trust your defense to make a big stop when needed.  On that Bills 4th down play that Darby knocked down, it seems like those are the kind of plays that always get converted vs us. 
If it's what I remember, it should have been converted, Allen hung the ball and the WR had to slow up for it and that let Darby catch up. If he throws it in front thats a TD.

If it's what I remember, it should have been converted, Allen hung the ball and the WR had to slow up for it and that let Darby catch up. If he throws it in front thats a TD.
He did, but it doesn't mean it wasn't a great defensive play.  Even with that bad pass, that was a catch if Darby doesn't make a great play at the end.

Wow, nailed that one.  Eagles open up as 4.5 point faves.

Doug's Presser today:

Miles is okay, day to day right now.  Good news on the MRI.

Maddox back at practice this week.

Desean and Darren will practice lightly this week and see where they're at by end of the week.

Nigel and Tim day to day but taking it slowly with those guys.  I'd guess neither play.

Peters likely out this week.

I'll be in the airport/on a plane during next Sunday's game. Given how we and the Bears have played this year, I guess I won't be missing anything spectacular entertainment-wise. 

Traded for Cleveland DE Genard Avery, gave up undisclosed 2021 pick. Anyone know anything about this guy?
@caplannfl: #NFL combine really helped him get on radar despite not having prototypical size (6-0 1/2, 248) at DE.

Blistering 40-time (4.59), 10-yard and vertical also very good and his tape from last season showed his speed.

Change in scheme with #Browns pushed him to minor role. https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/1188894279353225220

Traded for Cleveland DE Genard Avery, gave up undisclosed 2021 pick. Anyone know anything about this guy?

@caplannfl: #NFL combine really helped him get on radar despite not having prototypical size (6-0 1/2, 248) at DE.

Blistering 40-time (4.59), 10-yard and vertical also very good and his tape from last season showed his speed.

Change in scheme with #Browns pushed him to minor role. https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/1188894279353225220
Joe Banner:

Really hard to understand Avery trade from Browns side. Good young player that is cheap for 3 more years. Even if not a perfect scheme fit as some say( I don’t agree), he can rush the passer on third down, if nothing else.

If he can get to the passer I’m all in. 

I like Anderson but a WR would be more of a luxury than a necessity compared to other needs. Ertz, Jeffery and Goedert as your top 3 pass catchers is far from bad, sure a speedy WR would complement those 3 perfectly, but this offense should be able to score enough points to win games as it is. The pass defense is still the biggest weak spot on the team. It's easier to win games without a true deep threat WR than it is to win games with an atrocious pass defense.

I like Anderson but a WR would be more of a luxury than a necessity compared to other needs. Ertz, Jeffery and Goedert as your top 3 pass catchers is far from bad, sure a speedy WR would complement those 3 perfectly, but this offense should be able to score enough points to win games as it is. The pass defense is still the biggest weak spot on the team. It's easier to win games without a true deep threat WR than it is to win games with an atrocious pass defense.
We are 14th in the league in scoring with 25 PPG. Like 1 point per game away from being top 8. And that’s with Wentz not looking his best. There’s untapped potential with the offense in Ertz and Goedert as well as the running game. Also if they’re going to let Wentz move more that will help as well. 

Need pass defense or a pass rush. ANYTHING else is a luxury. 

Just one guy's opinion on the outside looking in (not an Eagles fan or anything) but I think the Eagles are making a mistake and outthinking things when they openly say that Wentz wants to not lock on to Ertz as much and wants to spread it out more.  Always a good philosophy but its kind of silly to have such great talent and a proven chemistry and rhythm that works and then unsettle it.  I don't think The Chargers would have looked better to stop going to Gates back in the day or there is a good reason that Brees would suddenly stop looking Michael Thomas' way. Sometimes, using your best resources IS the answer.  

Just one guy's opinion on the outside looking in (not an Eagles fan or anything) but I think the Eagles are making a mistake and outthinking things when they openly say that Wentz wants to not lock on to Ertz as much and wants to spread it out more.  Always a good philosophy but its kind of silly to have such great talent and a proven chemistry and rhythm that works and then unsettle it.  I don't think The Chargers would have looked better to stop going to Gates back in the day or there is a good reason that Brees would suddenly stop looking Michael Thomas' way. Sometimes, using your best resources IS the answer.  
I wouldn’t have NEVER guessed they’d use Ertz so little after last season. One of the worst coaching decisions ever from this staff. 

Users who are viewing this thread