What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL 2020 Dallas Cowboys *** Jason Garrett responsible for yet another letdown season. Which WR should the Cowboys take with the 10th pick? (1 Viewer)

As good as day-1 & day-2 were, day-3 with Tyler Biadasz in the bottom of the 4th & Bradlee Anae in the late-5th were just as good in a relative manner.

Biadasz is an early day-2 talent who played last season with an injury and I was shocked Anae fell that far. Did he kill somebody?

Fantastic job, JJ/Stephen/Will McClay/scouts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have bought a Lamb 10 jersey. 
Not buying a 3rd 88. Already got an Irvin and Dez. 
You're a regular walking ring of honor then. Seriously, I was struck that it was a tradition. I'm not a Dallas fan, so I really never thought about it. Drew Pearson and the California Quake or something like that right on through.

Lamb being forced to wear 88. How ever so very Jerry. 
I think 'forced' might be a strong word.

Maybe something like, "This here 88 has been a great number for us. Some of the best WRs in the game have worn this number. Now, why dontcha slip it on real quick & give it a look-see" (while handing CeeDee the jersey along with flashing that ####-eating grin of his). Ya like it? Ok, then. HOW BOUT TEM CABOYEEZ!!!"

:)

I think 'forced' might be a strong word.

Maybe something like, "This here 88 has been a great number for us. Some of the best WRs in the game have worn this number. Now, why dontcha slip it on real quick & give it a look-see" (while handing CeeDee the jersey along with his infamous grin).
Also while not bringing up Antonio Bryant.

Probably wasn’t too hard to convince him 
Don't know, all the rookies announced their numbers before he did. Maybe wants to be his own dude or not have the pressure to don the 88. Either way a little silly if Jerry had to convince him what number to wear. Oh well, he is being compensated well enough to get over it. 

Man, I took a LOT of abuse in the SP back in the day for suggesting Dak had similar upside to Wentz. I still have bruises, LOL.

I essentially said it was too early to make a call one way or the other.

Fun times. :D

Dalton to the Cowboys is a great fit. We needed a better back up, and he went to college right here at TCU and I’m sure considers it home. Nice one year deal.

BOOM!

Really proud of this organization. Just so many good moves the last few years.

I believe Stephen has become much more of an influence over the years & especially recently. Stephen talking Jerry out of Johnny Manziel for Zack Martin was a turning point, IMO.

With a championship-type roster, at the very least, we have a competent QB should Dak play hardball.

BTW, maybe some credit needs to go to McCarthy for a tremendous offseason. Dude didn’t sit around on his ### while out of football. He worked on becoming a better HC & essentially re-invented himself (but kept all his knowledge).

Props to McCarthy.

With a championship-type roster, at the very least, we have a competent QB should Dak play hardball.

BTW, maybe some credit needs to go to McCarthy for a tremendous offseason. Dude didn’t sit around on his ### while out of football. He worked on becoming a better HC & essentially re-invented himself (but kept all his knowledge).

Props to McCarthy.
McCarthy(and Ted Thompson) took way too much blame in Green Bay. He did an excellent job winning a Super Bowl and being an annual playoff team for almost the entirety of his run there. I never understood why some fans said things like, "he should have had more success with Rodgers" as if having a great QB automatically means you should always win the Super Bowl. By that logic I guess Don Shula forgot how to coach once Dan Marino showed up.

There are quite a few similarities between McCarthy in Dallas and Andy Reid in KC. Some people forget this now(I doubt Eagles/Cowboys fans do) but Reid was run out of Philly in much the same way McCarthy was in Green Bay. Always successful, but had crazy high expectations and usually fell short. Reid made some tweaks, found a franchise QB, and is on top of the world now. Well, McCarthy may already be starting with that QB, and certainly has a more talented roster overall than Reid started with in KC. People always bring up a change of scenery potentially being the best thing for a player, well I think this change of scenery might have been the best thing for a Head Coach..

Side note, I always find expectations to blind some fans/front offices to the quality of coaching staffs. For example, I feel like every year Steelers fans complain about Mike Tomlin, and every year he does a good/great job. If he were fired, half the NFL would gladly fire whomever they had to hire him. Whether it is an expectations issue, lack of patience, not seeing the big picture, or just fan complacency is beyond me. But it just baffles me.

McCarthy(and Ted Thompson) took way too much blame in Green Bay. He did an excellent job winning a Super Bowl and being an annual playoff team for almost the entirety of his run there. I never understood why some fans said things like, "he should have had more success with Rodgers" as if having a great QB automatically means you should always win the Super Bowl. By that logic I guess Don Shula forgot how to coach once Dan Marino showed up.

There are quite a few similarities between McCarthy in Dallas and Andy Reid in KC. Some people forget this now(I doubt Eagles/Cowboys fans do) but Reid was run out of Philly in much the same way McCarthy was in Green Bay. Always successful, but had crazy high expectations and usually fell short. Reid made some tweaks, found a franchise QB, and is on top of the world now. Well, McCarthy may already be starting with that QB, and certainly has a more talented roster overall than Reid started with in KC. People always bring up a change of scenery potentially being the best thing for a player, well I think this change of scenery might have been the best thing for a Head Coach..

Side note, I always find expectations to blind some fans/front offices to the quality of coaching staffs. For example, I feel like every year Steelers fans complain about Mike Tomlin, and every year he does a good/great job. If he were fired, half the NFL would gladly fire whomever they had to hire him. Whether it is an expectations issue, lack of patience, not seeing the big picture, or just fan complacency is beyond me. But it just baffles me.
He’s proved a lot with the zero games they’ve played. 

You have hof qb play for 30 years and win 1 more qb than the average team? What’s the problem, I mean going by cowboy playoff success it’s good.

You have hof qb play for 30 years and win 1 more qb than the average team? What’s the problem, I mean going by cowboy playoff success it’s good.
30 years? LOL.

McCarthy went to the playoffs 9 times, won a SB, & lost in the NFCCG 3 times. I'd say this cat knows how to coach.

I dunno who your team is, but the Cowboys have a championship-type roster right now.

It's tough to win a SB. We'll see what happens.

He has proven a lot. He’s proved that he knew he needed to get better, so he took the year away from football to study and breakdown every game. He worked on his ability to adjust and recognize his short comings. He worked on having a QB that doesn’t think he runs the show. Finally, he worked on having the best draft in years while creating value in every round. As far as playing the game? No, that hasn’t happened yet.(see: season start date). 
More importantly he was available to take the place of the magnificently incompetent Clappa Red, and that alone gets him a serious atta boy.

He has proven a lot. He’s proved that he knew he needed to get better, so he took the year away from football to study and breakdown every game. He worked on his ability to adjust and recognize his short comings. He worked on having a QB that doesn’t think he runs the show. Finally, he worked on having the best draft in years while creating value in every round. As far as playing the game? No, that hasn’t happened yet.(see: season start date). 
More importantly he was available to take the place of the magnificently incompetent Clappa Red, and that alone gets him a serious atta boy.
I had totally forgotten about The Clapper.

It'll be refreshing this season when somebody screws up & Garrett isn't there to clap & pat them on the ### as they come off the field.

Looking forward to Thanksgiving.  Every time they play on Thanksgiving, my mom asks me why Dallas has to play Washington EVERY hear...I can't tell her any different.  🤣

Looking forward to Thanksgiving.  Every time they play on Thanksgiving, my mom asks me why Dallas has to play Washington EVERY hear...I can't tell her any different.  🤣
I wish they would make it their permanent opponent. It’s the best (and very rarity the worst) game of the year for me. 

I live in the DMV and we host Thanksgiving every year so not only is it my favorite holiday because it’s football and food and booze all day and night, but I get to watch all the pain and misery of my beloved family of Redskins fans! 

I wish they would make it their permanent opponent. It’s the best (and very rarity the worst) game of the year for me. 

I live in the DMV and we host Thanksgiving every year so not only is it my favorite holiday because it’s football and food and booze all day and night, but I get to watch all the pain and misery of my beloved family of Redskins fans! 
I moved out of the DMV around 4 years ago.  I do miss watching the Washington fans while they struggle, very enjoyable. 

I don't like the Cowboys but if Mike Nolan is half decent as DC I believe this team is going to an NFC CG and will win the division with ease (by 3 games)

McCarthy is a really good coach and the offense is going to be top 3 good

Still pissed they did my boy Gallup dirty though...get a thousand yards as a sophomore and team goes out and replaces you with their first pick 😒

Don't know what Dak would need to get his extension though--NFC Championship? Super Bowl? Division title? playoff win?

I don't like the Cowboys but if Mike Nolan is half decent as DC I believe this team is going to an NFC CG and will win the division with ease (by 3 games)

McCarthy is a really good coach and the offense is going to be top 3 good

Still pissed they did my boy Gallup dirty though...get a thousand yards as a sophomore and team goes out and replaces you with their first pick 😒

Don't know what Dak would need to get his extension though--NFC Championship? Super Bowl? Division title? playoff win?
By 3 Games??  I think they're the favourites to win it (and probably should be), but I can't see it being by 3 games without a total Eagles collapse. 

I'm not sure it really matters how far they get for Dak.  He's going to be worth what the market demands whether they win the SB or miss the playoffs.  If they win the SB, he'll probably be WAY too expensive for Dallas to be able to afford.  If they miss the playoffs, they won't want to pay him and some other team will.  At this point I think it's only 50/50 that he's there next year, and both sides are going to need to majorly adjust their offers.

By 3 Games??  I think they're the favourites to win it (and probably should be), but I can't see it being by 3 games without a total Eagles collapse. 

I'm not sure it really matters how far they get for Dak.  He's going to be worth what the market demands whether they win the SB or miss the playoffs.  If they win the SB, he'll probably be WAY too expensive for Dallas to be able to afford.  If they miss the playoffs, they won't want to pay him and some other team will.  At this point I think it's only 50/50 that he's there next year, and both sides are going to need to majorly adjust their offers.
I just think the Eagles overachieved quite a bit last season. Part of that is good coaching but I am not sure they addressed their CB and WR needs to the extent they should have this offseason, especially with no preseason hurting rookies. And maybe I am drinking the Cowboys kool aid. To be honest though there is some volatility in every team in the NFC East.

You will laugh but the Giants getting 2nd and a wild card spot over the Eagles wouldn't surprise me too much (I am not predicting it). Maybe 3 games is a bit much though--but I have seen how quickly this division can change in years past: Cowboys causing to 13 wins in 2016 and Giants+Skins above 500 only for the Eagles to stop everyone a year later

I think Dallas is the most complete and explosive team and now their biggest weakness has been rectified in terms of coaching.

Eagles: their OL and Wentz prevent "total disaster" but I still have my doubts on Sanders' vision and RB instincts and thus his ability to be a true workhorse. The OL helps, as he is certainly explosive (and minimizes his biggest weakness in vision), but it still is enough for me to doubt the running game

I am not a Reagor fan but even if I was it seems like a tall ask of a rookie WR with a limited route tree from the Big 12 to be a team's WR1 after this kind of offseason.

Slay in 2018 form would go a long way towards helping the Eagles chances but he honestly is a bit overrated to me after last season. Better than Ronald Darby? sure but the secondary is still a question mark to me

I am a bit of a Daniel Jones truther after seeing what he did with bad OL and injured skill position players; but if Garrett is still the OC he was in 2007 with Dallas, with upgrades to the OL, Jones and Barkley are going to light up some defenses this season and potentially be joined by a true WR1 in the draft next season or an ARob/Godwin type in free agency.

For now though their defense will give back nearly all the points the offense scores

The Redskins...umm: I guess I am in the minority in that I don't think they will be outright terrible

Haskins sucks imo but their front 7 is an elite unit in its infancy and now has defensive minds like Rivera and Jack Del Rio coaching it. Remind me a bit of the 2018 pre breakout 49ers but without Sherman and missing a piece or two and with a coach like Rivera I think they can make their way to 6-7 wins.

The common thread through all of this though:

No team in the division has the personnel to match up with a fully healthy and now well coached Cowboys team--mainly in the secondary to face Cooper, Gallup and Lamb (who unlike Reagor will get to face CB3s his rookie year)

I think the Cowboys know this though and would need to be blown away to give Dak the money/deal he is looking for (playoffs and regular season)

As for the Eagles, they will be good for a long time with a QB like Wentz and coach like Pederson--no doubt about that.

But we have one year of them being elite and just to me watching them the past two years I am not sure that it wasn't a bit of an outlier. I know health has been a drag but I haven't seen the team play at that level of dominance in any stretch since. Which isn't bad---after all they got a ring from it, and the Cowboys haven't played at an elite stretch at all over the last three years, but they just look like a team a piece or two away and nothing like the 2017 version while the Cowboys seem to me like a team with all the ingredients ready to be put together.

I know it sounds like a slight for Eagles fans to say it was lightning in a bottle, but I do genuinely think Pederson and Wentz are really really good--it's more the drafting that is keeping that piece or two from coming in (like blowing a 2nd rounder on Jalen Hurts)

Who knows though--maybe Reagor is OBJ and blows the top off the league year 1 and becomes the difference maker they needed (I have a lot of words to eat if that happens) or they trade for Jamal Adams--but this is how I see it right now

Should be noted though: I picked the Cowboys to win the week 16 game last year thinking Dak and Amari were going to be motivated to earn their paydays and make a statement, had the Redskins winning the NFC East 2 years ago with Alex Smith and the Giants in 2017 the year they fired McAdoo in the middle of the year for benching Eli for Geno Smith so this division isn't my best in terms of forecasts

Complete recovery takes at least 4 months, but most repairs are almost completely healed within 6 months. It may take even longer to completely achieve strength training and range of motion goals.

Maybe he can come back?

Users who are viewing this thread