What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2020 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* Humanity will never recover from the most horrible event to happen in the last 100 years: Doug Pederson pla (1 Viewer)

Here’s another one to drop in the dysfunction box:

D. Pederson on Nov. 22: "If you get to that spot where you don't start (Wentz) or you bench him, I think you're sending the wrong message to your football team that this season is over, and that's a bad message. We have to work through this."
Well he wasn't wrong on that one. Season is over. 

Just a horrible spot for them. As I read it they take a monstrous cap hit next year but it improves greatly in futures years if they trade him as opposed to outright releasing him?

I just look at it as Eagles are not a championship contender next year with Wentz and there are a ton of holes to fill. Why not try to trade him, take the dead cap hit, and trade down in draft to accumulate assets? Their window is closed. 
Unless the Eagles are taking Trey Lance or Kyle Trask 2 QBS I'd take over Josh Fields I want to keep Wentz. Hope Hurts plays well enough and we get Wentz back up to snuff and some desperate team comes at us willing to Sam Bradford (Give us a 1st) because they got desperate for QB and take Hurts. I know what Wentz has done and I don't trust Hurts to come close to that and neither should the Eagles if they had evaluated the guy correctly. His scouting report has project written all over him 

You’d have to have him restructure before dealing him. Next year is the first year of his extension and he’s not going to give up that money. 

The choice is simple. Get him an OL, some WR’s and a competent coaching staff and he’s your guy in 2021. People need to see Hurts look bad first. While the shine is still there they’ll always call for him. If he does look great than we are in trouble lol
Are we sure about that? Even after Foles kept proving he was a backup the Wentz haters were out in full force. The Foles Fans are now all Hurts fans. If we're specifically talking knowledgeable football fans and coaching staff I agree here though. 

D. Pederson on Nov. 22: "If you get to that spot where you don't start (Wentz) or you bench him, I think you're sending the wrong message to your football team that this season is over, and that's a bad message. We have to work through this."
Is Doug just not good at public speaking or is this organization feeding him lines? Dude needs to know what to say in certain situations. I know I'm one of the last people to be telling Doug this but at least I know you don't say the above and then a few weeks later do the complete opposite you said you wouldn't do.

Something like this could've been better then what he said:

"For the question of not starting Carson or Benching him, we evaluate that as a group and discuss that. We have plans and have circumstances we all agreed if they came up would lead us to those decisions. But unless something catastrophic happens, Carson Wentz is the starting QB for this football team and we hope with more coaching and film study with him we can absolutely get him out of this struggle. Carson gives us the best chance to win no matter what" 

Are we sure about that? Even after Foles kept proving he was a backup the Wentz haters were out in full force. The Foles Fans are now all Hurts fans. If we're specifically talking knowledgeable football fans and coaching staff I agree here though. 
Foles won a SB and had a 27-2 season they could hand their hit on so I can see at least why they stuck with him. 

Is Doug just not good at public speaking or is this organization feeding him lines? Dude needs to know what to say in certain situations. I know I'm one of the last people to be telling Doug this but at least I know you don't say the above and then a few weeks later do the complete opposite you said you wouldn't do.

Something like this could've been better then what he said:

"For the question of not starting Carson or Benching him, we evaluate that as a group and discuss that. We have plans and have circumstances we all agreed if they came up would lead us to those decisions. But unless something catastrophic happens, Carson Wentz is the starting QB for this football team and we hope with more coaching and film study with him we can absolutely get him out of this struggle. Carson gives us the best chance to win no matter what" 
I don’t know but this is exactly why a lot of the good coaches are short and give generic answers. 

What a mess Brown was released from the PS as well

@RealDGunn

Dec 7

According to sources close to the team on Saturday eagles head of security Dom DiSandro kicked OL Jamon Brown out of the team hotel and sent him home for conduct detrimental to the team.

What a mess Brown was released from the PS as well

@RealDGunn

Dec 7

According to sources close to the team on Saturday eagles head of security Dom DiSandro kicked OL Jamon Brown out of the team hotel and sent him home for conduct detrimental to the team.
What a Jamoke

Foles won a SB and had a 27-2 season they could hand their hit on so I can see at least why they stuck with him. 

I don’t know but this is exactly why a lot of the good coaches are short and give generic answers. 
Yeah but that was a lot of luck and just catching lightening in a bottle. Hey I liked Foles when he was first here but I didn't drool over the guy. I'm just glad I put evidence out there a year into his career that Nick Foles would be the QB to win the Eagles their First SB to show my friends. However I knew by that point he was a good back up to have just too expensive to keep. Some people get caught up on SB's and how good they make you. Both Joe Namath and Trent Dilfer have SB rings but that doesn't make them better then Dan Marino in no way 

Unless it's shown Howie was telling Doug who to start. Then by all means fire howie on that alone. 
Doug has a SB I can’t imagine he’d take any orders from Howie. Maybe Howie influenced him some or maybe the other coaches did idk but those two have just fallen off a damn cliff 

See the above about Howie

Last edited by a moderator:
Roseman:

- Brought back Jeffery after he trashed Wentz to the media twice
- Gave Wentz a bottom 5 WR unit in 4/5 years
- Failed to improve the oline
- Drafted Hurts in the 2nd rnd

That’s how you break a QB’s confidence. 
Had that been me as GM Jeffrey would've been flat out cut for conduct detrimental if I could and if I'mm Jeffrey Lurie banning Josina Anderson from talking to my employees and players. Like Chris Long tweet clap back said every NFL player shouldn't let this women near them she creates controversy for an agenda. There was rumors that Alshon and Josina were banging too 

Had that been me as GM Jeffrey would've been flat out cut for conduct detrimental if I could and if I'mm Jeffrey Lurie banning Josina Anderson from talking to my employees and players. Like Chris Long tweet clap back said every NFL player shouldn't let this women near them she creates controversy for an agenda. There was rumors that Alshon and Josina were banging too 
As I said before. We won the Super Bowl and mocked New England for how they’ve one theirs. We tried to be anti-NE and our relationship with these players and coaches is catching up to us. 

As I said before. We won the Super Bowl and mocked New England for how they’ve one theirs. We tried to be anti-NE and our relationship with these players and coaches is catching up to us. 
I agree to an extent. However a lot of players have come out hating NE those who haven't drinking the kool aid. The alleged Cheating, arrogance by the coach and QB, Owner constroversy legal issues? Rather win a SB the right way and players have fun then win "THE NE WAY." Chris Long and Blount even said the NE players treated them differently after they left old teammates acted like they were bitter enemies etc. I want to win SBS but without the extra nonsense that NE provides. 

I agree to an extent. However a lot of players have come out hating NE those who haven't drinking the kool aid. The alleged Cheating, arrogance by the coach and QB, Owner constroversy legal issues? Rather win a SB the right way and players have fun then win "THE NE WAY." Chris Long and Blount even said the NE players treated them differently after they left old teammates acted like they were bitter enemies etc. I want to win SBS but without the extra nonsense that NE provides. 
At the end of the day it’s a business and I’d trade our 1 for their 6 in a heartbeat. We all would. 

Point being they and the good teams know when to cut bait and move on. Better to be too early than too late. Look at NE’s drafts too. They’re awful but they can coach their asses off so they’ll always maximize their talent and move on from players that don’t buy in. 

At the end of the day it’s a business and I’d trade our 1 for their 6 in a heartbeat. We all would. 

Point being they and the good teams know when to cut bait and move on. Better to be too early than too late. Look at NE’s drafts too. They’re awful but they can coach their asses off so they’ll always maximize their talent and move on from players that don’t buy in. 
I'm not saying they haven't found a way to be successful. Just wish they would act like they've been there before a little more and show some humility when they lose, Don't storm off the field like a perpentulant 2 yrs old. It's a business for sure but as an owner what do you want your lasting image to be? Do you want to be the Owner who owns one of the most hated teams who has won 6 SBs  because your team are sore losers, have had multiple scandals, your coach is a complete egomaniac and your QB comes crying to you when he doesn't get his way? Or do you wan to be the team that wins maybe 2-3 SB's but had 2-3 loses in the SB as well but carried yourselves like professionals and people show way more respect for?

I think in the long run as fans we need to ask ourselves that too. Some will say I don't care I just want titles. As some who supports Florida what I know now about Coach Meyer's time in UF I feel dirty about the titles we won and considering UF lucky they weren't caught and punished for any of it. You can say college sports are dirty which is true, I'd rather win the right way then take shortcuts as it feels more rewarding. How we won our 1st SB was just more rewarding then having ran away with the title. 

If Im a betting man I keep Wentz. Hurts just to me looks like another one of those QBs who looks good his first few yrs then fall off such a huge cliff once teams figure him. He needs to be moving out of the pocket to succeed. Make this kid stand back there as a pocket passer and I don't think he will look like an NFL QB. 
We'll have to see how the rest of the season goes.

If somehow we get one of the top two QB's in the draft, all bet's off. If Hurts doesn't look remotely capable (not growing pains, I mean 2 TD, 9 INT type stuff) - then we gotta keep Wentz and try and turn him around. You only bail on Wentz if you think there's a chance that Hurts or a rookie QB can take over.

We'll have to see how the rest of the season goes.

If somehow we get one of the top two QB's in the draft, all bet's off. If Hurts doesn't look remotely capable (not growing pains, I mean 2 TD, 9 INT type stuff) - then we gotta keep Wentz and try and turn him around. You only bail on Wentz if you think there's a chance that Hurts or a rookie QB can take over.
I agree. I'm on the level if one of the two QB falls to our spot I get a bidding war going and move back a few spots and acquire extra picks if I can. This team needs to start stockpiling picks. I won't say we should move out of the top 10 but if we can trade back (Say we get the 3rd pick) I wouldn't trade back any further then 6th depending on who they are targeting and grab a few extra picks. They need cheap contracts and talent stockpiled with picks considering the cap hell we are on. 

Aaron Rodgers was on the Pat McAfee show today (Must listen podcast for those looking for some pretty good insight to the game and his guest are incredible) and they were talking about him going up to players after the games what kind of handshake he does with younger players etc. He talked about how most guys give him a handshake and it's more of a respect thing from them. They then asked him what he said to to both Hurts and Wentz. Rodgers said he wants to keep that between him and them. He said he sometimes goes out looking for a player on another team for example Jags rookie QB who put a spin move on a guy he thought was cool from week before. He also talked how he likes to go up to Veterans like Cox and Graham. Rivers said he has tremendous respect for and just wanted to show his respect for another fellow Vet. 

When Asked about Hurts and Wentz he said he loved how Hurts handled his situation and talented. On Wentz he wanted to talk to him for a while now and just tell him good luck rest of the way. Then the surprise was he started talking up ALEX SINGLETON who he said works out with his group in Vegas during the offseason (There's your in Wentz to get tutored by the Most talented QB of all time) and what a great story and terrific person he is. Was very happy for Alex getting a chance. Said he was hoping NFL films (which he is a big fan of) didn't have any boom mics and was lucky he wasn't mic for the game as he wanted to keep his convo with Wentz between the two of them. 

This just is more proof of what I said the other day between Brady being a Tool and how Rodgers is incredible respectful to the game and the other players. 

MacAfee asks Rodgers what he said to him after the game.
I shockingly read this post.

I am so curious what was said in that handshake with Wentz, especially since Rodgers wants to keep it private.  And because he is going through the same thing, but of course it went the complete opposite way with him.  I wonder if Rodgers told him to keep his head up, or told him how to overcome and thrive from a fire under your ###, or how to get your coach fired lol. 

To your last point, I love Rodgers but he is one of the biggest ##### out there. 

Looks like Dallas is really bad at stopping the run. It's almost like they had 6 games earlier in the season that demonstrated that as well. What did the Eagles do against them again? Oh yea. Ran only 20 times (most of which came in the 4th qtr) and dropped their struggling QB back 32 times allowing 3 sacks and 4 turnovers. That's brilliant coaching right there. 

Looks like Dallas is really bad at stopping the run. It's almost like they had 6 games earlier in the season that demonstrated that as well. What did the Eagles do against them again? Oh yea. Ran only 20 times (most of which came in the 4th qtr) and dropped their struggling QB back 32 times allowing 3 sacks and 4 turnovers. That's brilliant coaching right there. 
Yep. That’s why the game is up in the air to me. They can’t stop it and we won’t do it 🤷‍♂️ 

Total QB Hits Allowed Through Week 13:

GB: 36
ARI: 37
CLE: 39
LV: 43
IND: 45
PIT: 47
NO: 48
BAL: 50
LAR: 53
CAR: 54
NE: 55
KC: 57
MIA: 61
TEN: 62
BUF: 63
JAX: 67
DET: 72
HOU: 73
TB: 75
DAL: 78
ATL, MIN: 83
CHI, DEN, NYG: 84
NYJ: 86
SF, WAS: 88
LAC: 91
SEA: 99
CIN: 105
PHI: 123

QB Hits Allowed In Week 13:

BAL: 0
CLE: 1
MIA, NE, PIT: 2
BUF, CHI, DET, NO: 3
ARI, DEN, KC, NYG: 4
DAL, IND, TEN: 5
GB, LAR, LV: 6
JAX, NYJ, SF: 7
ATL, HOU: 8
SEA, WAS: 10
CIN, LAC: 11
PHI: 12
MIN: 14

Notes:

-Every team has now officially had a bye week.

-Browns OLine is amazing

-Bengals/Chargers OLines are polar opposites

-Jalen Hurts and the Eagles are going against the team that has produced the fourth most QB hits through week 13.

-Vikings OLine was brutal on Sunday.

Total QB Hits Allowed Through Week 13:

GB: 36
ARI: 37
CLE: 39
LV: 43
IND: 45
PIT: 47
NO: 48
BAL: 50
LAR: 53
CAR: 54
NE: 55
KC: 57
MIA: 61
TEN: 62
BUF: 63
JAX: 67
DET: 72
HOU: 73
TB: 75
DAL: 78
ATL, MIN: 83
CHI, DEN, NYG: 84
NYJ: 86
SF, WAS: 88
LAC: 91
SEA: 99
CIN: 105
PHI: 123

QB Hits Allowed In Week 13:

BAL: 0
CLE: 1
MIA, NE, PIT: 2
BUF, CHI, DET, NO: 3
ARI, DEN, KC, NYG: 4
DAL, IND, TEN: 5
GB, LAR, LV: 6
JAX, NYJ, SF: 7
ATL, HOU: 8
SEA, WAS: 10
CIN, LAC: 11
PHI: 12
MIN: 14

Notes:

-Every team has now officially had a bye week.

-Browns OLine is amazing

-Bengals/Chargers OLines are polar opposites

-Jalen Hurts and the Eagles are going against the team that has produced the fourth most QB hits through week 13.

-Vikings OLine was brutal on Sunday.
I think I see a correlation.

Sat through the whole game of All 22 this afternoon.  Some thoughts.

After watching that, I’m less critical of the scheme / play calling than I had been.  They’re trying to make things easy for Wentz to make the right choices, there are half field reads, there are some of the type of schemed throws I’ve been looking for.  An example is the long play to Goedert.  To me that looked like a schemed throw for Hightower.  It was 13 personnel, play fake left, boot right with Hightower coming in motion and running to the flat.  They got a matchup with OLB Preston Smith (based on the 3 TE formation prolly).  If Wentz takes that easy, safe throw, it’s a 15 yard gain min, he had plenty of room to get outside and up the sideline.  For some baffling reason, Wentz doesn’t make the throw.  It’s just blind luck the guy covering Goedert fell down and he was running free.  He was not “schemed open” as I’ve seen in some reports.

You would have noticed in this game, the Packers having great success with crossers running away from man coverage.  Where are those routes for us?  Otherwise, there are guys open often enough.  Wentz’s mechanics are a hot mess, probably worse than his rookie year.  He’s overstriding and not pointing his lead foot, which causes poor accuracy and loss of velocity on the ball.  Mentally, he just seems not to trust what he sees, and his confidence is shot.  His eyes are dropping in the pocket under pressure and he’s never had that problem before.

Clearly, this is Press Taylor’s failure, but it ultimately falls on Doug to resolve if Taylor isn’t doing his job well.  I wonder how coachable Wentz is though?  Is Taylor less coach, more sidekick?  You read things about how they’re “friends”, which I think is a bad dynamic.

Defensively there was one I thought was kind of funny, on the long TD to the TE.  Single high, man outside, Mills lined up over the TE, but not sure if he had man or if Singleton was supposed to pick him up since he released inside.  Robey-Coleman was matched up on Adams in the slot, then NRC fell down when Adams made his break.  McLeod hit the panic button *hard* and tore off right to pick up Adams while the TE is running free to the EZ the other direction.  2020 man, what do you do?

Now, Hurts.  He made 2 nice throws, but they were simple reads.  A fade against press man and a guy running to the right EZ sideline after he escapes to the right.  I’d *almost* call that one a coverage bust, looked like quarters (disclaimer, with match rules etc, you can never really be sure), but the two deep defenders on the right didn’t get enough depth and Ward got behind them.  The Packers seemed to back off into softer zone coverages a bit then (after the fade to Reagor), they did have a 20 point lead in the 4th qtr against a rookie QB.

On several other plays when Hurts took off and ran (and had some nice gains, sure), there were *multiple* open targets downfield.  He sees the field poorly.  He’s more accurate than Wentz right now, and more likely to pull the trigger on time if the first read is there (like Reagor on the fade).  

Not sure if the play was specifically in for him, but Scott’s long run that got called back was an RPO.  Right side pass blocking, left side run blocking.

Hurts seems like an awesome dude, great character but he has a slow release and questionable arm strength IMO and doesn’t read the field well at all.  Based on today, but also his rep out of college I don’t think his prospects are good as a starter.  I’m predicting a pretty rough game against NO.

Reagor had a really nice post route early on.  Man against Alexander with inside technique, he burst out of his break and crossed his face and I was thinking it was a TD miss, but Alexander did just an awesome job turning his feet to stay over the top of it without losing a step.  Still, that could go for a TD against 80% of corners in the NFL.  The pick should have been Jefferson, but Reagor is quietly doing some nice things as a WR.  Why the actual #### they are scheming catches for Greg Ward is beyond me.  He should never be higher than 3rd read.  Literally any other target (besides Ertz) is more likely to do something after the catch than Ward.

Someone had to tell him to bench him

I don't know the guy personally and was talking to a friend about this but if they fire GM Howie anyway they keep him in his old role as a cap/contract guy like he was before being GM? Not sure how realistic that is but in a perfect world that would be preferred. 
Have you seen the team's cap situation, and the contracts of our aging vets? The myth that Howie is still some cap guru is "scored-4-TDs-in-a-game-at-Polk-High" stuff. There's nothing he's doing with the cap that at least half the other teams aren't also doing, with some of them doing it even better.  

Have you seen the team's cap situation, and the contracts of our aging vets? The myth that Howie is still some cap guru is "scored-4-TDs-in-a-game-at-Polk-High" stuff. There's nothing he's doing with the cap that at least half the other teams aren't also doing, with some of them doing it even better.  
Yep. They second he lost that super power he became worthless. 

Roseman:

- Brought back Jeffery after he trashed Wentz to the media twice
- Gave Wentz a bottom 5 WR unit in 4/5 years
- Failed to improve the oline
- Drafted Hurts in the 2nd rnd

That’s how you break a QB’s confidence. 
I won't argue with the other 3 but I don't know about the bolded.  As recently as mid June, 4 of the 5 starting spots were set, they had a 2019 first rounder taking over the 1 unsettled spot and they drafted Driscoll and Wanogho for depth.  I can't hold the GM responsible for 4 of the 5 starters missing time with injury and with their cap problems replacing Brooks or Dillard in training camp wasn't going to be easy. 

I won't argue with the other 3 but I don't know about the bolded.  As recently as mid June, 4 of the 5 starting spots were set, they had a 2019 first rounder taking over the 1 unsettled spot and they drafted Driscoll and Wanogho for depth.  I can't hold the GM responsible for 4 of the 5 starters missing time with injury and with their cap problems replacing Brooks or Dillard in training camp wasn't going to be easy. 
Peters is always dinged and aging,  Kelce aging and Brooks' injuries and age didn't just sneak up on him. Seamolu played well for a year and while Lane has been great he's always been dinged up and has a history of suspensions that could come up again and give a lengthily suspension. We also all saw and read about the struggles of Dilard.

With that said there was cause for concern at nearly every OL spot and that's been the case since 2018.

While Driscoll was drafted fairly high Prince was a lottery ticket.  Not many 6th rounders are going to contribute in year one and he had knee issues as well.  Instead we opted to take Hurts over other positions of need that could have helped Wentz.

2019 draft we didn't take a single OL but had no issues taking Clayton Thorson in the 5th.  Two picks later the Rams select David Edwards from Wisconsin.  All he's done is start every game for the Rams since.

This is why you need the Jamon Brown's, the Wisniewski's, Toth's, etc.  

While I agree that losing 4 of your 5 starting OL is a death sentence pretty much I think more could have been done, over the years, to mitigate some of what we're seeing. Kelce for instance has hinted at retirement for 2-3 years now and what do you have behind him?  I actually had to go look it up. 

As a drafting philosophy, you should always take at least 2 OL every draft. Regardless of how many picks you have. You need the depth and it's the one position in football where you can find studs that fall under the radar in any round. So cast a wide net.

Someone had to tell him to bench him
I was always against this but man it's getting hard to ignore at times.  Today for instance he leaves the door open to changing Alshon ands Peters as starters.  Ironically that's after what @Insein mentioned a little bit ago after benching Wentz.  I REALLY can't tell if they're telling him what to do or saving him from himself.  Doug has been about as consistent as the flight pattern of a bird this year.

As a drafting philosophy, you should always take at least 2 OL every draft. Regardless of how many picks you have. You need the depth and it's the one position in football where you can find studs that fall under the radar in any round. So cast a wide net.
The Hurts pick gets all the publicity but taking a guy like Thorson, when you had Wentz, Foles and like 4-5 total picks is absolutely asinine. At BEST you're drafting someone who will be inactive every week for a year. I swear the Hurts pick was the "I'll show them" for all the crap he took about picking Thorson

The Hurts pick gets all the publicity but taking a guy like Thorson, when you had Wentz, Foles and like 4-5 total picks is absolutely asinine. At BEST you're drafting someone who will be inactive every week for a year. I swear the Hurts pick was the "I'll show them" for all the crap he took about picking Thorson
Thorsen was a really bad pick when you only had 5 picks.

Kelce: “This is ultimately a culmination of a lot of failures on offense...This comes down to more of a failure of every position including coaches, to facilitate a functioning offense. That’s the biggest story here, not that Jalen Hurts is picked and there was some sort of internal battle and struggle going on with Carson Wentz. I don’t buy that.”

I've always enjoyed Ike. What's he saying today.
Basically

- You have to get a new HC who can fix/work with Wentz and move on from Doug

- Can't end up like Chicago with both QB's constantly looking over their shoulder, so if new HC likes Wentz move Hurts, if new likes Hurts you have to move Wentz

- Team has constantly chosen the middle path ie rebuilding while paying vets and never wanting to commit to one side or the other

- Always worried about getting rid of guys that could be an unpopular move

A few other things Im forgetting as well but this was after the Marks "So call in and tell us who you want and who has to go" type of speech prior to the break.  I was kind of shocked with Marks though, he was admit about keeping Wentz.  I thought he'd take the other stance.

Also, I posted the Kelce comments above.  Maybe Im reading too much into it but that sounds pretty big to me with the way he went after the coaches.

Fletcher Cox about liking a Tweet that C. Wentz should be the starter: "My tweet is my tweet and I stand with it."

Cox: "Carson, he's my best friend, he's my guy. I've always had his back since Day 1. Jalen, he's my teammate also. You've got to support whoever's in there."

Users who are viewing this thread