What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2020 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* Humanity will never recover from the most horrible event to happen in the last 100 years: Doug Pederson pla (1 Viewer)

Would any team be willing to trade for wentz? Would be banking on being able to get him back to rookie season - he has been arguable the worst qb in the NFL this year. Would Eagles trade him for a 7th just to get rid of him? Still will be dead money but not as horrid as currently.
Anything below a 3rd, right now, isn't worth it. I 'think' if you trade him this offseason it's breakeven - you don't save any cap money basically. So there is no upside $$ wise. You'd need SOME value, and there is a chance he can be fixed. One bad season doesn't mean all his other promising seasons didn't exist.

Will be interested to see how he does with all first team reps.

Initial thoughts watching him - he has zip on intermediate throws, didn’t look rattled like Wentz, makes quick decisions. He doesn’t look natural rolling out to his left at all.
We saw different things with his arm. His arm was noticeable weaker than Wentz’s. 

He played in garbage time against a team that didn’t prepare for him. He will now get one of the better defenses, still have crap around him, and they will prepare for him. 

This staff has the potential to ruin 2 QB’s in a single season 

Anything below a 3rd, right now, isn't worth it. I 'think' if you trade him this offseason it's breakeven - you don't save any cap money basically. So there is no upside $$ wise. You'd need SOME value, and there is a chance he can be fixed. One bad season doesn't mean all his other promising seasons didn't exist.
If we change staffs and GM, one of them has to go in 2021

Evaluation time.

Hurts doesn't seem ready IMO, but Wentz has been "deer in the headlights" on/off the field... more/less forcing the move.

Tough situation for the Birds going forward.
He was drafted and pegged a a development QB by a team that’s done a crap job of development. 

Hoping he shows some promise but I’m  expecting very little from him

Take note of the wording of Doug's statement: "I looked at the whole thing and decided that for this week to look for that spark again to try to get the team over the hump."

"for this week"

Can't have any definitiveness when it comes to QBs in Philly!

Would any team be willing to trade for wentz? Would be banking on being able to get him back to rookie season - he has been arguable the worst qb in the NFL this year. Would Eagles trade him for a 7th just to get rid of him? Still will be dead money but not as horrid as currently.

No. That's dumb. 

It is an interesting thought, as getting that money off the books would be huge IF we decide to move on from Wentz.  If we end up somehow drafting a QB early, than I think at this point we would take a late pick for Wentz, but this doesn't seem likely for many reasons.

Going through all the teams, there's only 2 teams in the NFL that is in Win now mode, is QB needy, and has the cap space to take on his contract.  Indy and NE.  If Reich really loves him, maybe he goes for it?

As much as Carson gives us a better chance to win, I'm glad we are making this move.  See what he has.  Also gives us a better chance at a higher pick, and if we finish last in our division then we might ACTUALLY make some changes like getting rid of Howie.  The only bad things about losing Howie are that he's great with the cap, and I don't want Chip having that satisfaction of him being fired lol.

He was drafted and pegged a a development QB by a team that’s done a crap job of development. 

Hoping he shows some promise but I’m  expecting very little from him
Agreed. I actually think he will come and try to do the right things... be decisive, let it rip, but also make mistakes. Just hope they don't ruin him by throwing him to the wolves before he's ready.

As much as Carson gives us a better chance to win, I'm glad we are making this move.  See what he has.  Also gives us a better chance at a higher pick, and if we finish last in our division then we might ACTUALLY make some changes like getting rid of Howie.  The only bad things about losing Howie are that he's great with the cap, and I don't want Chip having that satisfaction of him being fired lol.
i think they had to make this move, was evident ever since the Dallas/Cle games after the bye. Wentz hasn't shown any improvement this year, and has been regressing. if you want to save his career it was best to take him out since it was evident he couldn't fight his way out of this slump. Seattle game was the most telling as well with their 30th ranked pass defense. 

I get Doug sticking with Wentz up until now with each week keep on hoping he can fight through it, but after that bye it just seemed it was definitely not happening. Will be interesting this week to see if the Eagles look any better. 

Take note of the wording of Doug's statement: "I looked at the whole thing and decided that for this week to look for that spark again to try to get the team over the hump."

"for this week"

Can't have any definitiveness when it comes to QBs in Philly!
All of his actions since like week 2 or 3 have sounded as desperate as this reads.  The team is in shambles, everyone knows it and he's fighting for his job. The offensive starters, coaches, QB etc are all his doing and they've failed across the board. He's down to his last straw or believes he is.

Seeing what a developmental QB has, with this OL and WR core is dangerous.  We are paying Sudfeld 3 million and had him as the back up and he's just inactive every week.  He's who should have been the back up and the guy getting the start.  If/when he sucks along with the surrounding cast he's gone after this year anyway. 

If Hurts plays poorly these next 2 games Doug is gone after the Arizona game IMO.  The locker room will be well into a divide at that point, if it's not already, on who the QB should be and the ONLY thing that can save him is if it was Howie who gave him the proverbial grenade with the pin already out and that's a VERY small chance due to Doug keeping Hurts around and active every week

**ETA** the below is why I think there could be a sliver of a chance Doug can be back. But like I mentioned above he had the choice to keep Hurts inactive as the 3 but kept this door open. That’s a guy that has no feel for what’s going on

"Nobody is going to be looking at a rookie quarterback as somebody who's going to be taking over a Pro Bowl quarterback, a guy who's been on the cusp of winning an MVP"

-- Howie Roseman the night the Eagles drafted Jalen Hurts

Last edited by a moderator:
Wentz looks like a statue compared to these. In fact, Wentz looked like a statue this season compared to his old self, not to take anything away from all the pounding he took running for his life. We discussed at length about he looking over his shoulder all year. In addition to that, having had two season ending injuries in a short career maybe took a toll on his psyche as well. I mean this is not a good career progression so far...

The 2nd week of December hasn't been kind to Carson Wentz.

Dec. 10, 2017
Torn ACL ends 2017 season

Dec. 9, 2018
Back injury ends 2018 season

Dec. 8, 2020
Benched for Jalen Hurts
I don't see how neither Carson nor Jalen would succeed under the circumstances if both Wentz and Hurts are on the team and Hurts turns out to be more than competent ROS this year. The Indy comments here and in Wentz's thread are intriguing, if not for the dollars that will handcuff both teams from making things easy. What a mess.

In for $20 if you are interested.  I'll say the Eagles don't go 0-4.
That’s if I had to make a bet at that time. I’d have to see where we are come the Dallas game and how we match up. If you’d like I’ll do the next two with you. Name the price and shoot me a PM 

When someone disagrees with you, or doesn’t like the Eagles, or expresses joy in the the sucktitude of the Eagles....that doesn’t make them a troll 

Surely you know that, right? 
Guess you don't know what trolling is.  Guess that makes sense since you got a week ban for trolling a few weeks ago.

Wentz looks like a statue compared to these. In fact, Wentz looked like a statue this season compared to his old self, not to take anything away from all the pounding he took running for his life. We discussed at length about he looking over his shoulder all year. In addition to that, having had two season ending injuries in a short career maybe took a toll on his psyche as well. I mean this is not a good career progression so far...

I don't see how neither Carson nor Jalen would succeed under the circumstances if both Wentz and Hurts are on the team and Hurts turns out to be more than competent ROS this year. The Indy comments here and in Wentz's thread are intriguing, if not for the dollars that will handcuff both teams from making things easy. What a mess.
I don’t think his injuries have anything to do with what we’re seeing now. His last injury of any significance was in 2018 and didn’t require any surgery. He’s coming off of a 64% 4,000 yard season going 27-7 and getting us into the playoffs with a trash team. When you look at how he’s played in the past he didn’t all of a sudden forget how to play. On NFLN today they even mentioned a bunch of QB’s that have had this issue and rebounded. He mentioned Brady this year, Rodgers and Wilson in the past etc. this is a correctable issue. The lack of OL and weapons combined with inept coaching (silly 4th down decisions, not taking FG’s, going for 2 down 4, crap game plans etc) can not continue. 

At this time I can’t see Hurts being even average. He has a Byron Leftwich/ Jamies Winston wind up with lacking arm strength. He has the fact that he can buy time which will help with this OL and crap play design so that will help but overall that all-22 shows some very concerning things. 

I can’t see us trading Wentz and a pick for someone to take him lol. Ideally we need to see Hurts crap the bed and Wentz get right mentally while we build a better and healthier team around him. 

Guess you don't know what trolling is.  Guess that makes sense since you got a week ban for trolling a few weeks ago.
I didn’t get a ban for trolling. There was a poster who was making a fool of himself and I told him he was making a fool of himself. That’s frowned upon here 

If you want a place where you can log in and have everyone agree with you you’re in the wrong place 

I didn’t get a ban for trolling. There was a poster who was making a fool of himself and I told him he was making a fool of himself. That’s frowned upon here 

If you want a place where you can log in and have everyone agree with you you’re in the wrong place 
The moderator straight up told you you were trolling lol.

Exactly lol. 

"when someone comes here to express joy in the sucktitude of the eagles... that doesn't make them a troll"

That is exactly what trolling is.  Makes sense when he mentioned in that thread that he wasn't sure what it was.
Imo, trolling is what you did in a game thread when you posted that I whine when people say anything at all bad about the Cowboys in that team thread

I called you a liar and asked for one example

Just one

Still waiting...

Please show everyone you’re not a liar 

Imo, trolling is what you did in a game thread when you posted that I whine when people say anything at all bad about the Cowboys in that team thread

I called you a liar and asked for one example

Just one

Still waiting...

Please show everyone you’re not a liar 
ok man lol

Bigboy10182000 said:
From Andrew Brandt:

To those saying "Well, the Eagles will just trade Wentz and take on $34M of dead money; and they don't have to pay him!" Please.  They are not going to allocate 20% of their Cap to someone who's not there.
Just a horrible spot for them. As I read it they take a monstrous cap hit next year but it improves greatly in futures years if they trade him as opposed to outright releasing him?

I just look at it as Eagles are not a championship contender next year with Wentz and there are a ton of holes to fill. Why not try to trade him, take the dead cap hit, and trade down in draft to accumulate assets? Their window is closed. 

Bigboy10182000 said:
From Andrew Brandt:

To those saying "Well, the Eagles will just trade Wentz and take on $34M of dead money; and they don't have to pay him!" Please.  They are not going to allocate 20% of their Cap to someone who's not there.
Is it all dead money no matter what the trade details? What are the chances/dead money hit if let's say Indy trades for him?

For the record, I want to keep Carson and think there's chance he can pull it together next year.  Our OL needs to be able to stay healthy.  Maybe we draft Chase with our high draft pick.  Carson/Sanders/Chase/Reagor/Goedert behind a line of Mailata/Isaac/Kelce/Brooks/Lane (IF, and big if, they can stay healthy) seems like a good place to start.

Just a horrible spot for them. As I read it they take a monstrous cap hit next year but it improves greatly in futures years if they trade him as opposed to outright releasing him?

I just look at it as Eagles are not a championship contender next year with Wentz and there are a ton of holes to fill. Why not try to trade him, take the dead cap hit, and trade down in draft to accumulate assets? Their window is closed. 

Is it all dead money no matter what the trade details? What are the chances/dead money hit if let's say Indy trades for him?

For the record, I want to keep Carson and think there's chance he can pull it together next year.  Our OL needs to be able to stay healthy.  Maybe we draft Chase with our high draft pick.  Carson/Sanders/Chase/Reagor/Goedert behind a line of Mailata/Isaac/Kelce/Brooks/Lane (IF, and big if, they can stay healthy) seems like a good place to start.
You’d have to have him restructure before dealing him. Next year is the first year of his extension and he’s not going to give up that money. 

The choice is simple. Get him an OL, some WR’s and a competent coaching staff and he’s your guy in 2021. People need to see Hurts look bad first. While the shine is still there they’ll always call for him. If he does look great than we are in trouble lol

Bigboy10182000 said:
Things a great coach will say:

Steelers had eight drops yesterday. Mike Tomlin's plan to address that? "They can catch the ball or they can get replaced by those that will catch it. I expect guys to make routine plays routinely."
Tomlin always has 1-2 quotes a week that standout as great 

i know the love of the talk is the QB, but i like this little nugget:

Thomas R. Petersen   @thomasrp93

Jordan Mailata was the 2nd highest graded pass blocking OL in the NFL this week. He didn't give up a single pressure. #Eagles

Season has been a literal train wreck, and very hard to watch. only think that kept me in it is watching guys like Singleton, Fulgham and Mailata. for all the issues with the front office, they do happen to make lemon-aid from lemons from time to time

i know the love of the talk is the QB, but i like this little nugget:

Thomas R. Petersen   @thomasrp93

Jordan Mailata was the 2nd highest graded pass blocking OL in the NFL this week. He didn't give up a single pressure. #Eagles

Season has been a literal train wreck, and very hard to watch. only think that kept me in it is watching guys like Singleton, Fulgham and Mailata. for all the issues with the front office, they do happen to make lemon-aid from lemons from time to time
I can only give them a backhanded compliment with those. We thought Dillard and Peters were better than Mailata

Jeffery, Jackson, Ward, JJAW and Deontay Burnett over Fulgham

Gerry, Edwards, Riley, Taylor and Bradley over Singelton 

It reads like all luck IMO. 

Aaron Rodgers was on the Pat McAfee show today (Must listen podcast for those looking for some pretty good insight to the game and his guest are incredible) and they were talking about him going up to players after the games what kind of handshake he does with younger players etc. He talked about how most guys give him a handshake and it's more of a respect thing from them. They then asked him what he said to to both Hurts and Wentz. Rodgers said he wants to keep that between him and them. He said he sometimes goes out looking for a player on another team for example Jags rookie QB who put a spin move on a guy he thought was cool from week before. He also talked how he likes to go up to Veterans like Cox and Graham. Rivers said he has tremendous respect for and just wanted to show his respect for another fellow Vet. 

When Asked about Hurts and Wentz he said he loved how Hurts handled his situation and talented. On Wentz he wanted to talk to him for a while now and just tell him good luck rest of the way. Then the surprise was he started talking up ALEX SINGLETON who he said works out with his group in Vegas during the offseason (There's your in Wentz to get tutored by the Most talented QB of all time) and what a great story and terrific person he is. Was very happy for Alex getting a chance. Said he was hoping NFL films (which he is a big fan of) didn't have any boom mics and was lucky he wasn't mic for the game as he wanted to keep his convo with Wentz between the two of them. 

This just is more proof of what I said the other day between Brady being a Tool and how Rodgers is incredible respectful to the game and the other players. 

MacAfee asks Rodgers what he said to him after the game.

Balco said:
Bleeding Green came out with an Article talking to a few NFL people who said there would be multiple teams bidding if Carson was available. Around the league he's still viewed as a top QB in a bad situation and bad year. Compared to some of the other young QBs and their contracts if Wentz gets back to MVP level that is incredible team friendly compared to what some of these other QBs are making. 

Bigboy10182000 said:
If we change staffs and GM, one of them has to go in 2021
If Im a betting man I keep Wentz. Hurts just to me looks like another one of those QBs who looks good his first few yrs then fall off such a huge cliff once teams figure him. He needs to be moving out of the pocket to succeed. Make this kid stand back there as a pocket passer and I don't think he will look like an NFL QB. 

Here’s another one to drop in the dysfunction box:

D. Pederson on Nov. 22: "If you get to that spot where you don't start (Wentz) or you bench him, I think you're sending the wrong message to your football team that this season is over, and that's a bad message. We have to work through this."

I'd have stayed away from Hurts if I was an NFL GM. Dude just has bust written all over him. He might have a weak here and there vs weak defenses he looks good but I don't think he'd ever be consistent to constitute being an NFL Starting QB unless he's in there for garbage time or filling in for an injury. Just watching the Alabama offense with him in there and then Tua was a complete 180 into Tua's favor. The kid handed it all in an incredible mature matter and I'll give him a lot of credit for that too but 2nd round pick is a big reach on a guy from the scouting report sounds like a project 

Deamon said:
I don't know the guy personally and was talking to a friend about this but if they fire GM Howie anyway they keep him in his old role as a cap/contract guy like he was before being GM? Not sure how realistic that is but in a perfect world that would be preferred. 

I can only give them a backhanded compliment with those. We thought Dillard and Peters were better than Mailata

Jeffery, Jackson, Ward, JJAW and Deontay Burnett over Fulgham

Gerry, Edwards, Riley, Taylor and Bradley over Singelton 

It reads like all luck IMO. 
Coaching thought that. GM provides a variety of talent from all angles. Coaching is supposed to sort that out. Best man wins. 

Users who are viewing this thread