What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2022 college football thread: its conference realignment season. (1 Viewer)

I searched out a list of Committee members simply because I was curious and had no clue as to who was involved outside of a couple names that popup in the media. They are supposedly college football "experts" who serve 3 year terms. They are chosen by the CFP Management Committee comprised of 10 conference commissioners + the Notre Dame Athletic Director. The dates below are when their terms expire. Surprisingly, not as much SEC connection as I would have imagined.

Boo Corrigan (Head of Committee) - NC State Athletic Director, February 2024
Mitch Barnhart - Kentucky Athletic Director, February 2024
Tom Burman - Wyoming Athletic Director, February 2023
Rick George - Colorado Athletic Director, February 2023
Chet Gladchuk - Navy Athletic Director, February 2025
Jim Grobe - Former coach (Wake Forrest, Baylor), February 2025
Warde Manuel - Michigan Athletic Director, February 2025
Will Shields - Former Nebraska player, February 2024
Rod West - Former Notre Dame player, February 2025
Gene Taylor - Kansas State Athletic Director, February 2024
Joe Taylor - Virginia Union Athletic Director, February 2023
John Urschel - Former Penn State player, February 2023
Kelly Whiteside - Associate professor at Montclair State and Former college football reporter for multiple outlets, February 2025

To go back to the Alabama vs. TCU discussion. The reason I still think Bama has a good chance to get in is the argument for OSU over USC is close enough to Bama over TCU that the committee can just say they are dropping USC and TCU and moving the next two up. I’m maybe at 55/45 - TCU/Alabama.

And that’s my guess as to what will happen, not what I would.
Sorry this just doesn’t make any sense at all.

I think you all are just working yourselves up because everybody dislikes Bama. TCU will be #3 tomorrow, playing in the Fiesta Bowl against Michigan.

I don’t dislike Bama - no clue what you are talking about. I hope they are in.
What does this mean? What do these things have to do with each other?

“OSU over USC is close enough to Bama over TCU that the committee can just say they are dropping USC and TCU”

Most seem to think OSU will jump USC. I’m saying it’s similar. I also said I thought TCU would get in. You are painting these things as absolutes - I guarantee you there’s some dope in that room that will vote Bama top 4.
USC had one loss already, didn’t have the resume that TCU does and got pulverized in their conference title game. TCU lost in overtime to #10 for their first loss of the season. It’s really just not the same.

TCU’s resume is not as good as Bama’s. That #10 team lost to Tulane - Kansas State is not great. The committee has always said they want to get the best matchups. Bama is the better matchup. I think they’ll pick TCU and reward them - and I think they (TCU) can actually play with Michigan so they won’t get blown out. But Georgia would kill them and I think Bama would beat them by double digits.
Tulane is ranked higher than any team Bama beat

edit - I tried to just quote your last post in the thread instead of the entire conversation. How does one do that?

Last edited:
I’m starting to think 4 was a half measure and is hardly an improvement over 2. 8 is the really the minimum number for a real playoff but I’m glad we skipped that one and went straight to 12.

I’m starting to think 4 was a half measure and is hardly an improvement over 2. 8 is the really the minimum number for a real playoff but I’m glad we skipped that one and went straight to 12.

As soon as the 12 starts up the lower games will just funnel more teams in to lose just like TCU, with more miles on the tires. The play in/bye system will concentrate the amount of suck these playoffs have been.

Agree that this was a year where two teams needed to be there and having four in is a complete waste of everyone's time.

As soon as the 12 starts up the lower games will just funnel more teams in to lose just like TCU, with more miles on the tires. The play in/bye system will concentrate the amount of suck these playoffs have been.

Agree that this was a year where two teams needed to be there and having four in is a complete waste of everyone's time.
You hate college football don’t you?

If you are Gary Patterson what do you think? Legacy pretty much shattered leaving for Texas to spend the end of his years fighting to make the Alamo bowl.

If you are Gary Patterson what do you think? Legacy pretty much shattered leaving for Texas to spend the end of his years fighting to make the Alamo bowl.
They made him leave right? There was a clip earlier this year of him shaking hands at the end of a UT game asking anyone if they knew the score of the ongoing TCU game - I think it’s safe to say he’s still invested.

What do people in Ft Worth think of him? I’d hope he’s still revered to a degree, regardless of how it ended. He pretty much built it.

You hate college football don’t you?

This year highlights just how pointless adding more teams will be, nobody honestly thinks there are more than two good teams it's just who has the right to lose a warmup game spectacturally. And this comes from someone who lives in Fort Worth, and half my family and friends all went to TCU and even work there.

On a serious note I do think having to win a game to get to play the top 4 will hopefully weed out some blowouts. I think going to 12 will make conference championship weekend so much more exciting, and we should get way more high profile early season inter-conference matchups.

They made him leave right? There was a clip earlier this year of him shaking hands at the end of a UT game asking anyone if they knew the score of the ongoing TCU game - I think it’s safe to say he’s still invested.

What do people in Ft Worth think of him? I’d hope he’s still revered to a degree, regardless of how it ended. He pretty much built it.

When he left there were yard signs, billboards, and people writing stuff on their cars saying "Thank you Gary" As soon as he left for Texas they all went down. There are a lot of dual TCU/Texas fans depending on who is good that year in Fort Worth. The TCU only fans were pretty upset he didn't offer to take a reduced role here, yeah.

One interesting lens that surfaces this time of year and off-season is how you factor in the ratings into how you view a team.

Is a win on the road against a then-top 5 team the same if the team goes on a death spiral and finishes unranked? Is that more fair to be considered a top 5 win or an unranked win?

Hard and fast considerations on both feel myopic. The loss might have made a top team crash and burn so you can’t just outright dismiss ranking at time of game, but end of season ranking likely has a better full body of work in consideration.

How long until the demands come to go to 24? I‘ll say the noise starts year 1 before the first 12 team playoff game kicks off.

I searched out a list of Committee members simply because I was curious and had no clue as to who was involved outside of a couple names that popup in the media. They are supposedly college football "experts" who serve 3 year terms. They are chosen by the CFP Management Committee comprised of 10 conference commissioners + the Notre Dame Athletic Director. The dates below are when their terms expire. Surprisingly, not as much SEC connection as I would have imagined.

Kelly Whiteside - Associate professor at Montclair State and Former college football reporter for multiple outlets, February 2025
I wonder if Warde Manuel has to recuse himself from discussions on who is #3. I'd bet that he'd argue pretty strongly for TCU.

I wonder if Warde Manuel has to recuse himself from discussions on who is #3. I'd bet that he'd argue pretty strongly for TCU.
From what I read, members are prohibited from discussions regarding their affiliated team, but how do you really talk about any of it without talking about all of it? :shrug:

He is very much loved and revered. The put up a statue of him.

I’m curious, honest moment by the committee, if they feel TCU is really 3 or if they were avoiding the rematch with tOSU and Michigan.

I honestly don’t know, but part of me also wishes they’d just definitively rank them 1-4 irrespective of potential conference happenstances or rematches.

I’m curious, honest moment by the committee, if they feel TCU is really 3 or if they were avoiding the rematch with tOSU and Michigan.
They have said in previous years they prefer to avoid rematches if everything is even. I think TCU was a few shades ahead of OSU though.

They have said in previous years they prefer to avoid rematches if everything is even. I think TCU was a few shades ahead of OSU though.
Agreed. Found it funny they were really trying to get the chair to admit to it there but he wouldn’t budge.

I think it becomes more accentuated when we get to 12 teams. Some southern team is eventually going to have to go play in the snow at Penn State, UM, tOSU, ND, or others. I fully expect to see the questionable dance of the committee trying to absolve said team from that travel in favor of sending in a northern team.

Unfortunately, I think it is pretty low likelihood that any of this ends up mattering. UGA has just looked dominant all season.
Ohio or Michigan could beat them. Unlikely but not impossible. I’m glad they didn’t get USC, I want to see a good game.

@Jayded

It looks like it's the Gamecocks and the Irish in the Gator. GL to your boys. Hopefully Carolina can keep their momentum going. We don't match up real well against the run.

@Jayded

It looks like it's the Gamecocks and the Irish in the Gator. GL to your boys. Hopefully Carolina can keep their momentum going. We don't match up real well against the run.
GL to you guys too. You all finished the year on a tear and that worries me, especially with our starting QB now in the portal.

I would prefer we trot out freshman Steve Angeli and see what he can do, but word is you all might face a returning Tyler Buchner. If they give Buchner the Drew Pyne run-first playbook he would be set up best to succeed. We shall see!

Last edited:
All Vegas cares about is getting as even of a betting curve as possible for both sides....I've never understood this argument or the "better loss" argument.

Users who are viewing this thread