What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2023 Pro Cycling Thread*** - The Vuelta will be a Primoz, Vigo, G, Remco mosh pit (2 Viewers)

Fabio Jakobsen leaving Soudal-Quick-Step for Team dsm-Firmenich. From afar this seems like a horrible decision; dsm is by far the worst current sprint team in WT. They are completely unable to provide a leadout for any sprinter. The team was rumored to be going after Olav Kooij a few months ago but he resigned with TVJ. I think Same Welsford is headed to Bora-hansgrohe? Haven't seen anything official yet. Just mind blowing that Jakobsen chose them.

I never realized Remco was 5’6” (then again the other two podium guys are over 6’4”)

World Champ again, this year in the ITT

Not as prestigious as the Road Race (hasn’t been around very long) title he won last year but still unique to conquer both disciplines

Bronze medalist was a UK kid who at 19 has decided he’ll forego under 23 & go straight on to WT for Ineos Grenadiers.

Sepp doing all three Grad Tours this year. This has to be super rare. What a beast.

Skipped everything except 2 one week stage races, so in terms of Race Days he’s only had 56. That’s not even Top 100 on the UCI World Tour. If he finishes and doesn’t race again, will barely be Top 50 (77 would have 47th last year.)

It’s a massive achievement considering he’s such a vital cog for TJV. Every grand tour Roglič & Vingegaard have won (6) since 2019 he’s been the faithful lieutenant in the mountains. Love that guy.

Sepp doing all three Grad Tours this year. This has to be super rare. What a beast.

Skipped everything except 2 one week stage races, so in terms of Race Days he’s only had 56. That’s not even Top 100 on the UCI World Tour. If he finishes and doesn’t race again, will barely be Top 50 (77 would have 47th last year.)
The grand tours have to be 10x more draining than smaller races. Even if he did nothing else that's got to be so hard. There is a reason TdF winners almost never go to the Vuelta (I expect Vingegaard to not do well in the Vuelta).

The grand tours have to be 10x more draining than smaller races. Even if he did nothing else that's got to be so hard. There is a reason TdF winners almost never go to the Vuelta (I expect Vingegaard to not do well in the Vuelta).

IKR? They say it's the third week when you really start to feel it. It's not like Sepp drops back into the grupetto and loses 30 minutes when he feels off. He's always on the front taking his turns driving the Peloton. Except on days he has crashed you never see him lose major time. No days off.

HFS, what a squad:

Jonas Vingegaard and Primoz Roglic will lead Team Jumbo-Visma at the Vuelta a España. They will be supported by Sepp Kuss, Wilco Kelderman, Attila Valter, Jan Tratnik, Robert Gesink and Dylan van Baarle. "With this team, we are ready for anything."

@Cyclingbottle

Last 3 riders who won 🇫🇷+🇪🇸
🚴 Chris Froome 2017
🚴 Bernhard Hinault 1978
🚴 Jacques Anquetil 1963

Last 3 riders who won 🇮🇹+🇪🇸
🚴 Alberto Contador 2008
🚴 Giovanni Bataglin 1981
🚴 Eddy Merckx 1973

Can Vingegaard or Roglic join one of these clubs?

I took a screenshot of the first draft of my team - I usually do a quick one when setting up the league, then tinker with it endlessly. I always think that my OG team would do better; I am going to have the receipt to check this time - lol

I took a screenshot of the first draft of my team - I usually do a quick one when setting up the league, then tinker with it endlessly. I always think that my OG team would do better; I am going to have the receipt to check this time - lol
Pricing is rough on this one. I'm having a hard time.

All Rounders

Jonas Vingegaard, 28 Credits:
Returning to the Vuelta after three Tours de France in a row. He’s been brought in to almost guarantee a Jumbo overall win in their attempt to take home all three grand tour general classification (GC) titles for 2023. He’s the best climber in the world, and a Jumbo 1-2 on the final podium is not out of the question.
Primož Roglič, 24 Credits: He has won all of his targets this year with multiple stage wins along the way. He has been Mr Vuelta in the past with his punch and strength on the climbs. He’ll try to race smarter than his rivals, and utilising two leaders against this next rider will almost certainly yield results.
Remco Evenepoel, 22 Credits: This will be a real test for the 23 year old going head-to-head with two of the most experienced grand tour racers of this generation. I can see him becoming frustrated by Jumbo’s tactics, but if he keeps a cool head, the battle will be insane.
Juan Ayuso, 18 Credits: 3rd place last year as a 19 year old. What can he do one year older and wiser? He started his season late after tendinitis and hasn’t really shown us what he’s made of. His Tour de Suisse was very impressive, but that’s the only form we have to go on. Maybe he’s been saving it all for La Vuelta.
Geraint Thomas, 16 Credits: Believe it or not, this is only his 2nd Vuelta appearance in his 19th grand tour. His last outing did not go well as he finished in 69th place, but he’s been on a tear in the last two years in grand tours with over 2000 velogames points in both of his last races.
João Almeida, 14 Credits: Excellent velogames value, but sharing duties with Ayuso and going up against serious competition. I can’t actually believe he’s still only 25 years old. It feels like he’s been around much longer than that.
Thymen Arensman, 10 Credits: He doesn’t have much flair or kick on him, but he’s been good for over 1000 points in his last two grand tours, including 1233 in the 2022 Vuelta. He will be helping Thomas, but can still achieve his own result and he really comes into his own in the 3rd week.

I’ve been crunching some potential numbers back and forth, and I believe the serious points from the whole race will mostly come from the riders mentioned above. So picking three of these guys is my recommendation. Also here is Bernal, Kelderman, Soler, and Mollema all at 8 credits. Of these, Soler is the most likely to be hunting for the stage wins and the most likely to succeed. Kelderman will be on domestique duties the entire race and Bernal is still working his way back. I’d love to see Bernal go well again, but we might have to wait until next year.

Climbers

Enric Mas, 16 Credits:
This is the most expensive he’s been for years, and it’s probably all down to his incredible Vuelta record. His average points haul at the Tour is 603, his average at the Vuelta is 1564.4. He’s done some work to be ready for this race, so fingers crossed it all works out for him. If he’s not good here, then I’m really not sure who’s picking up the points in this category.
Aleksandr Vlasov, 14 Credits: He is so hit or miss it’s almost unbelievable. For sure, he’s had his bad luck, but in this company, I don’t see him going all that well, even if he is on decent form. A lot of things need to happen for him to finish in the top 5.
Lenny Martinez, 12 Credits: This is expensive for a 20 year old grand tour debutant, but he is an exciting prospect. He represents too much of a gamble for me. I will be cheering him on though.
Jay Vine, 12 Credits: He’s definitely kicked on after his double stage win last year, but he has three other teammates up for stages as well. Not going for GC means he’s possibly not worth it for 12, and there are some bargains to consider here.
Damiano Caruso, 10 Credits: The designated road captain for Bahrain so he’ll be on babysitting duties for the team leaders. That being said, he did manage 4th at the Giro this year, but that’s his home grand tour.
Mikel Landa, 10 Credits: And here is one of Caruso’s team leaders, he is just unfortunately on some questionable form and has never finished the Vuelta higher than 15th.
Sergio Higuita, 10 Credits: I’m not entirely sure what Bora’s plan is here, but he may either be helping or hunting the odd stage. Either way, probably not worth huge points.
Cian Uijtdebroeks, 10 Credits: Here is a young man who’ll be giving Carlton Kirby nightmares for years to come. He is also hoping to be Bora’s main GC man in the future and this is his first test. He’s 20 years old and a super prospect. Like Martinez, he’s been given a hefty price tag, so he’d be a gamble, but that’s often what the Vuelta is all about.
Hugh Carthy, 10 Credits: I’m expecting nothing from Carthy, so anything he achieves will be a pleasant surprise for me. I think the days of him winning on Angliru are behind him, but he may be fun to watch in the breakaways.
Sepp Kuss, 10 Credits: Super domestique extraordinaire, who’s been instrumental in all of Jumbo’s recent grand tour success. He’s been known to rack up decent points hauls himself at the Vuelta. Can he do it again?
Romain Bardet, 10 Credits: Stage hunting, but another rider who’s not been great this year.
Eddie Dunbar, 10 Credits: Had a reasonably successful outing at the Giro in his first proper GC lead for Jayco. Can he do it at the Vuelta?

This is already a huge list and we’re only just down to the sub-10 credit options! It gets slightly easier from here and I’m only going to mention those I believe could be good picks. You can see what I mean about this category always being a minefield. I don’t fully trust anyone I’ve already mentioned to have a great race, I mean, just look at all the riders competing for the same points. Anyway, onwards!

Einer Augusto Rubio, 8 Credits: 949 velogames points was his reward for an attacking Giro where he won a stage. He’s since followed that result with a 5th place finish at the Vuelta a Burgos. If Mas isn’t on it, then Rubio could be your man. He might be a good pick anyway!
Max Poole, 8 Credits: Continuing the toddler day-care theme with dozens of youngsters, Max is another 20 year old hoping to get their hands dirty at their debut grand tour. He has shown promising form for DSM this year and hopefully he goes stage hunting in the mountains.
Santiago Buitrago, 6 Credits: He is sharing leadership of Bahrain along with Landa, but at 6 credits, he’s significantly cheaper. He’s a real stage hunter and has a decent record from the Giro. Can he bring that form to the Vuelta for the first time?
Michael Storer, 6 Credits: He’s done alright recently, but he has yet to recreate his daring double stage win from the 2021 Vuelta.

Sprinters

With only four guaranteed sprints and no stand out names on the start list, this is where you can afford to take a fun punt. Especially if your other picks price you out of the two apparent big guns in this category. I don’t see anyone dominating like some have done in previous years and there are only three of these riders who’ve won at a grand tour previously. So plenty of scope, both for established sprinters to finally get off the mark, and for new kids on the block to make a name for themselves. Here they all are.

Kaden Groves, 12 Credits: A stage win at both of his last two grand tours, Vuelta and Giro. He should be the man who’ll find it easiest to win a stage or two.
Bryan Coquard, 12 Credits: He’ll be licking his lips with this competition. He is in the no grand tour stage win club, and if he doesn’t win here, he probably never will.
Gerben Thijssen, 10 Credits: He’s had a couple of decent results this year, just not at world tour level. He will also fancy his chances.
Juan Sebastián Molano, 10 Credits: He won stage one at the Vuelta a Burgos with ease. He’ll be going solo a lot, or maybe with a teammate or two.
Marijn Van Den Berg, 8 Credits: Very good form at the recent Tour of Poland, so he’ll have the bit between his teeth. I’m very tempted with him. This Vuelta route might be the ideal place to test his strength.
Milan Menten, 8 Credits: He’s shown decent stuff at several races this year, including a win at a Spring Classic against four of the other sprinters appearing at this race.
Hugo Hofstetter, 8 Credits: He’ll probably good to top 10 the sprints, possibly better. It’ll be a hard task for him to win a stage though.
Alberto Dainese, 8 Credits: Another of the previous grand tour stage winners. At only 25 as well, he may be on for a good race here.

I would say pick from one of the above if you can, especially from the pool of 8s. If you have to go for a 6 crediter, I’d recommend either Vendrame, Theuns, and maybe Aular. Engelhardt is an exciting prospect, but I’m not sure if he’s totally a sprinter and this is a huge step up for him.

Unclassed

This category is once again stacked with potential and is more reminiscent of the Giro than the Tour. All kinds of riders here will be looking to be in the mix, in breakaways on all terrains. Let’s hope I get through everyone who’ll score good points and hopefully not omit the leading scorer, cough Gee cough.

8 CREDITS

Romain Grégoire:
This guy is the real deal. Only 20 and already competing and winning. He even managed 8th in Strade Bianche.
Filippo Ganna: Only one time trial for him and Remco is here too. He’d need to go for break wins to be good value. Not out of the question.
Attila Valter: Will be on domestique duty the whole race most likely.
Andrea Bagioli: If he’s not chained to helping Remco, then he should compete on several stages.
Kévin Vauquelin: Another promising youngster, but it’s hard to see where he picks up his points.

6 CREDITS

Samuele Battistella:
He hasn’t quite found the form this year, but he was very good in the 2022 Vuelta.
Nico Denz: Two stage wins from the Giro and Bora will be wanting more of the same here.
Jon Barrenetxea: If you want a cheeky side bet, this guy won the KOM at Itzulia.
Samuel Watson: Part one of a British Groupama double act.
Lewis Askey: And part two, He might get involved in the sprints.
Jonathan Castroviejo: Grand tour stage winner and a home grand tour.
Laurens De Plus: Managed 716 points at the Giro thanks to a decent GC performance.
Omar Fraile: He could score well, but never manages to. Will this race be different?
Rui Costa: He started the year well, tailed off, but did finish the San Sebastian Klasikoa in 8th place.
Rune Herregodts: He and a number of other Intermarché riders will be going for breakaways and Herregodts might be a good bet.
Jan Tratnik: Working for the team, but a strong rider in his own right. Same with Van Baarle.
Andrea Kron: An attacking rider and should be good on Vuelta terrain.
Lennert Van Eetvelt: Young and exciting climbing prospect on Lotto Destiny.
Oier Lazkano: Quite simply, he could be the guy this year. Spanish national champion and won a stage at the Vuelta a Burgos. Good on climbs, nice kick on him. This is his break out year. Can he cap it off?
Oscar Onley: Like Poole, he’s a new talent on DSM and you can bet he’ll try for a breakaway or two.
Matteo Sobrero: When he’s not helping Dunbar, he’ll be in the breaks.
Filippo Zana: Proven stage winner this year, he’ll try again for sure.
Finn Fisher-Black: He’s been a good cheaper pick in other Velogames competitions this year. It’s just a question of whether his teammates don’t gobble up the points first.

4 CREDITS

Jason Osborne:
He looks like Alpecin’s best bet for any mountain success, but it is his grand tour debut.
Javier Romo: 7th at the Vuelta a Burgos and if Astana are to have any success, he may be the man.
Matevž Govekar: Designated sprinter for Bahrain, limited success this year so an outside bet.
Juan Pedro López: Hard to know what to expect of this guy. Has a great Giro in 2022 then has absolutely no good results after that.

:lmao: I guess Remco won't be a discriminator in the league. Oh, and I'm somehow in last again - already. Funny how that works. :bag:

BTW, what moron decided on a polished painted starting ramp?

Safe zone moved back to 9 km today. Still time bonuses but the peloton can sit up with 5.6 miles to go. Was cold & heavy rain to start, might have more rain at the finish.

peloton collectively decided these idiot organizers are gonna get someone hurt so let’s just neutralize the GC today

G said last night no one is going hard if it’s raining & we saw Jonas + others tell everyone to chill with like 26 km left

couple Cat 1 climbs to finish Stage 3 so maybe tomorrow we’ll see some racing

Users who are viewing this thread