What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Academy Awards Discussion Thread*** - “Hollywood’s Biggest Night” (3 Viewers)

Lily Gladstone was excellent but Emma Stone gave one of the best performances I’ve ever seen. She’s an all timer.

I finally watched La La Land on a plane last week (better than I'd expected), and when I got home I told Mr. krista that I'm not sure I can name better actors/actresses of their generation than Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone.

I haven’t seen all of (or even most of) the nominated shorts, but giving thoughts on a few that I’ve seen…

The Wonderful World of Henry Sugar worth a watch for any Wes Anderson fans. Could be his first Oscar win. Roald Dahl story works with his whimsy (as well as the 30 minute length) and good cast including Benedict Cumberbatch and Ben Kingsley.

Also watched The After. Good performance by David Oyelowo, but a bit too much trying to tug at heartstrings.

On the short documentary side, The ABCs of Book Banning looks like the favorite. Interesting take on the subject by interviewing the kids impacted. Important watch for those who care about some of the book banning an across the country (I’ll keep my personal views out of thread).

I haven’t seen all of the nominated shorts, but giving thoughts on a few that I’ve seen…

The Wonderful World of Henry Sugar worth a watch for any Wes Anderson fans. Could be his first Oscar win. Roald Dahl story works with his whimsy (as well as the 30 minute length) and good cast including Benedict Cumberbatch and Ben Kingsley.

Also watched The After. Good performance by David Oyelowo, but a bit too much trying to tug at heartstrings.

On the short documentary side, The ABCs of Book Banning looks like the favorite. Interesting take on the subject by interviewing the kids impacted. Important watch for those who care about some of the book banning an across the country (I’ll keep my personal views out of thread).

Why thank you for that intro to my annual posts about all of the shorts. Typing that up next.

Lily Gladstone was excellent but Emma Stone gave one of the best performances I’ve ever seen. She’s an all timer.
Agree on that. Her performance just on another level. For some reason, I fear that Academy will give it to Annette Bening for Nyad or something.
It will either be Gladstone or Stone.

I think Stone was better but for my Oscar pool, probably going with Gladstone. She was pretty great too....

I haven’t seen all of the nominated shorts, but giving thoughts on a few that I’ve seen…

Why thank you for that intro to my annual posts about all of the shorts. Typing that up next.
I've only seen Henry Sugar and the After.

The former is my pick between those 2. Loved it.

Of the doc shorts, I've only seen Book Banning and Nai Nai/Wai Po. I didn't think either was all that great. I hope one of the other 3 is better than those....

You know it; you love it; you can't live without it. Yes, it's my annual posts about something virtually no one else cares about - the Oscar-nominated shorts!

First up, the animated shorts. These are usually my favorites, but hoo boy was this year's crop a disappointment. I don't think any of them is worthy of an Oscar, but someone has to win, so here goes, in order from worst to best-ish...

Pachyderm (for rent on Vimeo - don't do it) - I started to type these up and couldn't remember what the fifth one was. Then I looked it up and still don't remember anything about it, other than a vague notion that I was confused when watching it. It was only a few weeks ago that I watched this, and I'm not that old and forgetful. This was forgettable.

War Is Over! Inspired by the Music of John and Yoko (not yet streaming) - Yep yep, I'm putting this short inspired by probably my favorite musician only slightly above the short I don't remember seeing. It's that bad. It was written/produced by Sean Lennon, who seems like as sweet a guy as you could imagine (see what I did there), but this is insipid "why can't we all be friends" tripe with uninteresting animation. John and Yoko deserved better.

Our Uniform (not yet streaming) - A very short short about a young Iranian girl, told through the fabric of her hijab. Visually clever, but kind of a one-trick pony and a story that felt unfinished.

Letter to a Pig (for rent on Vimeo) - I wanted to love this. It seems to want to say something. Something important. Something that ended up going straight over my head. But the animation is absolutely stunning, some of the most gorgeous and stimulating I've seen, so it gets second place in a weak crop solely on that basis.

Ninety-Five Senses (streaming on Documentary+) - I probably shouldn't say that none of these deserve to win, because this really is quite good. I can't say much about the story without giving away a spoiler, but it's an old dude in monologue about his life. The animation is different in each segment, though nothing particularly special, but the story is compelling. The only reason I didn't love it is that Tim Blake Nelson lays on the hillbilly accent so heavily that it was distracting. Or maybe that's his normal accent, but in any case it was irritating. I wonder if the ninety-five senses are alluding to Martin Luther's ninety-five theses. Hmmm.

Should win: Ninety-Five Senses
Will win: I have this grave fear that the Lennon thing might take this.

Of the doc shorts, I've only seen Book Banning and Nai Nai/Wai Po. I didn't think either was all that great. I hope one of the other 3 is better than those....

Two of the other three are fantastic IMO.

Live-action shorts: After last year's particularly weak lineup, this year was welcome as a rare instance where I actually liked all five of these. Again in the order that I prefer them:

Invincible (free on Vimeo) - I hate putting this last, because it had the most stunning performance in any of them, and one of the best performances I've seen in any film from 2023, by a kid named Léokim Beaumier-Lépine, who plays a troubled teenager in a juvenile prison who gets a weekend visit with his family. Unfortunately his story didn't really ring true or have much of a point, but the performance alone makes this worth a watch.

The After (Netflix) - Stunningly handsome David Oyelewo deals with the aftermath of a tragic loss. Again, a standout performance in a film that didn't have a whole lot to say. It gets the slight nod over Invincible for no particular reason.

Red, White and Blue (available for rent on Vimeo) - A woman in Arkansas travels to Illinois for an abortion. Topical, well-acted, somehow sweet, and with a twist near the end that I did not see coming. Sometimes I think twists are silly and pointless, but this one hit me hard.

The Wonderful World of Henry Sugar (Netflix) - Wes Anderson being very Wes Anderson-y in an adaptation of a Roald Dahl story. If you like Anderson (I do), you'll enjoy it. Huge amount of star power in this one, and a fun story.

Knight of Fortune (free on Youtube) - Danish film about a man at a funeral home to see his late wife. Despite that description, this short is funny, as well as charming, beautifully acted, masterfully told and, guess what, also includes a good twist near the end. I might have a special appreciation for this one because of how I saw that, which I'll post about separately, but this really is a must-see.

Should win: Knight of Fortune
Will win: I've been wrong about thinking a short was a slam-dunk before*, but The Wonderful World of Henry Sugar seems the slam-dunkiest of slam dunks.

*2010, when I was sure The Gruffalo would win, and was pleasantly surprised at the upset by The Lost Thing.

Aside regarding Knight of Fortune... I went to see the live-action shorts in a local artsy theater. I'm used to going to films there and being only one of a couple of people in attendance, but this showing was packed. I was really happy for them!

All was well through the first two shorts, The After and Red, White and Blue. Then we got to Knight of Fortune and...the subtitles weren't on. A packed house of moviegoers watched this entire short in Danish, without subtitles. This is so Seattle, where everyone is so polite! I am more of a Chicagoan and not as polite, but I was several people down in a row with only one entrance, and I didn't want to make everyone move so I could get out and inquire. So we all just watched it without understanding any of the dialogue.

I knew Henry Sugar was the last one and that Invincible would be next. Invincible was Canadian, so I was hopeful we'd be OK, but then it started and, oh no, French-Canadian. At this point I told the other three in my party that we were going to leave. I wasn't going to sit through another (long) short waiting for it to end. I asked the dumb-as-a-stump guy at the theater if we could get half our money back, and he gave us free passes for a later time instead. We were the only ones who left. We went next door to have a meal, and later the other people in our row came to the same restaurant. They told us no one else left! But what was kind of fun was, they and another woman I ran into who'd been there wanted to talk about what we thought Knight of Fortune was about. It was amusing to speculate! Then I came home and watched it with subtitles and understood it. But watching it without subtitles let me appreciate the filmmaking and how much they could tell of the story without the dialogue. Pretty cool.

Seattle folks be weird, though.

Final group, the documentary shorts, with a couple of standouts.

Nai Nai and Wài Pó (Disney+) - I hate bagging on what's essentially a love letter from someone to his grandmas, but I'm gonna. Sure, these ladies were charming, but it also seemed so forced, so made-for-film. Maybe this should have been a TikTok instead. It had that feel to me.

The ABCs of Book Banning (Paramount+) - I like the idea of having the kids' POVs on books they can't access because of bannings or restrictions, and they certainly found the smartest and most eloquent children I could imagine. But I don't know...this felt like more of a lengthy political ad (albeit one the premise of which I agree with) than a documentary. Again felt a bit forced to me, and it wasn't told in a particularly interesting documentary style.

Island in Between (free on Youtube) - A good history lesson about the Kinmen Islands, told through the lens of someone whose family is connected to them. I didn't know much (OK, anything) about these Taiwanese Islands located six miles from the coast of mainland China, so I found the history and current situation interesting.

[There is a huge gap between my impressions of the three above and the next two.]

The Last Repair Shop (free on Youtube) - I can't say enough great things about this one, and I could easily switch the order of this and next. They truly are equally wonderful, and both moved me to "inspired not sad" tears. This one is about about a team of people who fix musical instruments for disadvantaged kids in the LA public schools. Each person's background story is compelling, and in each instance it shows the impact music can make on our lives. In addition, their work is rewarded by some of the stories from the children whose instruments they've repaired. I'm probably not describing this in a way that makes it seem a must-watch, but it is. Be sure to watch all the way through the closing credits.

The Barber of Little Rock (free on Youtube) - Equally inspirational as the one above. If you ever thought there are too many problems in the world for you to make a real difference, Arlo Washington will change that way of thinking. He formed the People Trust, a non-profit "community development financial institution," to provide economic opportunity to underserved groups (generally Black) by offering micro-loans for people trying to start small businesses, get on their feet after an illness or disaster, or just need a short-term loan to survive. He also has a barber school to train people to be able to open their own businesses. What they do is simply amazing, and perhaps even more amazing, 95% of the loans get paid back on time. These are people who have been turned down for loans by their banks who are happy to take their deposits, but for some reason don't wish to lend to them. Once again I don't think I'm describing this well, so please just watch. This man is changing so many lives, a little at a time.

Should win: Either The Last Repair Shop or The Barber of Little Rock would be deserving winners.
Will win: I'm concerned about the comment from Don Quixote that Book Banning will be the winner, but I think The Last Repair Shop has all the elements that the voters usually love.

Nai Nai and Wài Pó (Disney+) - I hate bagging on what's essentially a love letter from someone to his grandmas, but I'm gonna. Sure, these ladies were charming, but it also seemed so forced, so made-for-film. Maybe this should have been a TikTok instead. It had that feel to me.

The ABCs of Book Banning (Paramount+) - I like the idea of having the kids' POVs on books they can't access because of bannings or restrictions, and they certainly found the smartest and most eloquent children I could imagine. But I don't know...this felt like more of a lengthy political ad (albeit one the premise of which I agree with) than a documentary. Again felt a bit forced to me, and it wasn't told in a particularly interesting documentary style.

Island in Between (free on Youtube) - A good history lesson about the Kinmen Islands, told through the lens of someone whose family is connected to them. I didn't know much (OK, anything) about these Taiwanese Islands located six miles from the coast of mainland China, so I found the history and current situation interesting.

[There is a huge gap between my impressions of the three above and the next two.]

The Last Repair Shop (free on Youtube) - I can't say enough great things about this one, and I could easily switch the order of this and next. They truly are equally wonderful, and both moved me to "inspired not sad" tears. This one is about about a team of people who fix musical instruments for disadvantaged kids in the LA public schools. Each person's background story is compelling, and in each instance it shows the impact music can make on our lives. In addition, their work is rewarded by some of the stories from the children whose instruments they've repaired. I'm probably not describing this in a way that makes it seem a must-watch, but it is. Be sure to watch all the way through the closing credits.

The Barber of Little Rock (free on Youtube) - Equally inspirational as the one above. If you ever thought there are too many problems in the world for you to make a real difference, Arlo Washington will change that way of thinking. He formed the People Trust, a non-profit "community development financial institution," to provide economic opportunity to underserved groups (generally Black) by offering micro-loans for people trying to start small businesses, get on their feet after an illness or disaster, or just need a short-term loan to survive. He also has a barber school to train people to be able to open their own businesses. What they do is simply amazing, and perhaps even more amazing, 95% of the loans get paid back on time. These are people who have been turned down for loans by their banks who are happy to take their deposits, but for some reason don't wish to lend to them. Once again I don't think I'm describing this well, so please just watch. This man is changing so many lives, a little at a time.

Should win: Either The Last Repair Shop or The Barber of Little Rock would be deserving winners.
Will win: I'm concerned about the comment from Don Quixote that Book Banning will be the winner, but I think The Last Repair Shop has all the elements that the voters usually love.
Thanks for this. Great reviews, as always. Need to check out The Last Repair Shop and The Barber of Little Rock. Did not realize on YouTube.

Thanks for this. I need to find those last two on YouTube tonight or tomorrow morning.

You absolutely nailed my thoughts on Nai Nai and Book Banning. My wife and I had very similar criticisms of both.

Thanks for this. I need to find those last two on YouTube tonight or tomorrow morning.

You absolutely nailed my thoughts on Nai Nai and Book Banning. My wife and I had very similar criticisms of both.

:hifive: I'm glad to hear that. Since I rarely know anyone else IRL who sees these, I'm never sure if my views are on target or outlying.

As with DQ, I'll be really interested to hear what you think of those other two. And please feel free to say you don't agree that they're phenomenal!

I finally watched La La Land on a plane last week (better than I'd expected), and when I got home I told Mr. krista that I'm not sure I can name better actors/actresses of their generation than Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone.
I agree, they are wonderful

I'm trying to power-watch May December, Poor Things, The Zone of Interest, and Perfect Days before the awards tomorrow. :lol: That would complete my viewing of all my must-sees for the year. I guess Killers of the Flower Moon is another I want to watch, but not in that same category for me.

Will win: I've been wrong about thinking a short was a slam-dunk before*, but The Wonderful World of Henry Sugar seems the slam-dunkiest of slam dunks

It's the only one of the nominees I watched. It was the best of the Dahl series but I hope Anderson loses.

I believe the short subject Oscars should be life altering for less well financed filmmakers rather than a lifetime achievement award for a big name director.

Will win: I've been wrong about thinking a short was a slam-dunk before*, but The Wonderful World of Henry Sugar seems the slam-dunkiest of slam dunks

It's the only one of the nominees I watched. It was the best of the Dahl series but I hope Anderson loses.

I believe the short subject Oscars should be life altering for less well financed filmmakers rather than a lifetime achievement award for a big name director.

I am 100% in agreement with you. It actually makes me mad.

I can’t agree with you two on this one.

Best short is best short.

And, this would not be a lifetime achievement award for Wes Anderson. C’mon.

And, most filmmakers start off as less well financed.

And, I doubt the lesser known filmmakers want to be thrown a bone (although, some might).

But, I still need to see Knight of Fortune.

Last edited:
Poor Things is so weird. I ****ing love it.
Love it. Of course I also loved The Lobster so maybe it's just me.

I'm not sure I get the black & white vs color and some of the weird lens choices. If someone could explain that I'd appreciate it 🙂
Not just you. I love just about everything Lanthimos directs. Always clever and thought provoking, with scathing social commentary.

No idea about the b&w and fish eye lenses, though didn’t care for the latter.

I'm trying to power-watch May December, Poor Things, The Zone of Interest, and Perfect Days before the awards tomorrow. :lol: That would complete my viewing of all my must-sees for the year. I guess Killers of the Flower Moon is another I want to watch, but not in that same category for me.
Sorry if I missed a review, but how did you like Oppenheimer?

It's funny how I associate FGBers with movies/directors/bands, etc.. Yes, there are other things, but you are also tied to Nolan and Inception forever for me. I struggled with Oppenheimer, and in the middle of the movie I thought to myself "well, if there is anybody who might be on the same page with me on this one, it could be Krista". :lol:

I'm not sure I get the black & white vs color and some of the weird lens choices. If someone could explain that I'd appreciate it 🙂
Not sure spoiler, but will put in tags anyway…

I thought black and white versus color was sort of like how used in Pleasantville, from imprisonment/repression to enlightenment, as transition to color happens in Lisbon and she starts to set out on the world.

Not sure spoiler, but will put in tags anyway…

I thought black and white versus color was sort of like how used in Pleasantville, from imprisonment/repression to enlightenment, as transition to color happens in Lisbon and she starts to set out on the world.

Yep And transitioning from a black and white world where God spells out very clearly what the rules are, what is allowed, etc. When we get to color, she gets to begin creating her rules, her own world.

Just watched Perfect Days two nights ago. Lovely. And as Wim Wenders is wont to do, great soundtrack.

The only two major film noms I haven’t seen yet are To Kill A Tiger and Io Capitano. I’m hoping to watch one, or both, this morning if I can find them streaming.

Not just you. I love just about everything Lanthimos directs. Always clever and thought provoking, with scathing social commentary.

No idea about the b&w and fish eye lenses, though didn’t care for the latter.

I still need to see The Favorite and Alps. Poor Things was great

My rooting interests (produced or distributed by the enterprise I work for) will be Killers of the Flower Moon, Anatomy of a Fall, Perfect Days and Robot Dreams. Past Academy Award nominees from our group have included Parasite, Triangle of Sadness, I Tonya, All the Money in the World, Fire of Love, All the Beauty and the Bloodshed, The Quiet Girl, The Square, Honeyland, and The Worst Person in the World.

My rooting interests (produced or distributed by the enterprise I work for) will be Killers of the Flower Moon, Anatomy of a Fall, Perfect Days and Robot Dreams. Past Academy Award nominees from our group have included Parasite, Triangle of Sadness, I Tonya, All the Money in the World, Fire of Love, All the Beauty and the Bloodshed, The Quiet Girl, The Square, Honeyland, and The Worst Person in the World.
Your enterprise has done quite well recently!

My Oscar pool is going to come down to 4 categories:

Production design (Barbie or Poor Things)
Costume (Barbie or Poor Things)
Makeup (Maestro or Poor Things)
Documentary short (ABCs of Book Banning or Last Repair Shop)

No clear cut frontrunner in any of those. All the others have a definite favorite.

Anyone have a strong opinion for the winner in any of those categories?

My Oscar pool is going to come down to 4 categories:

Production design (Barbie or Poor Things)
Costume (Barbie or Poor Things)
Makeup (Maestro or Poor Things)
Documentary short (ABCs of Book Banning or Last Repair Shop)

No clear cut frontrunner in any of those. All the others have a definite favorite.

Anyone have a strong opinion for the winner in any of those categories?
@The Dreaded Marco

I listened to the Big Picture podcast today, and FWIW the bolded was their picks. They split on doc short.

Live-action shorts: After last year's particularly weak lineup, this year was welcome as a rare instance where I actually liked all five of these. Again in the order that I prefer them:

Knight of Fortune (free on Youtube) - Danish film about a man at a funeral home to see his late wife. Despite that description, this short is funny, as well as charming, beautifully acted, masterfully told and, guess what, also includes a good twist near the end. I might have a special appreciation for this one because of how I saw that, which I'll post about separately, but this really is a must-see.
This is a gem.

I'm still picking Henry Sugar in my pool but it would not surprise me if this wins and I won't be disappointed, even though it may cost me a couple hundred.

I can’t agree with you two on this one.

Best short is best short.

And, this would not be a lifetime achievement award for Wes Anderson. C’mon.

And, most filmmakers start off as less well financed.

And, I doubt the lesser known filmmakers want to be thrown a bone (although, some might).

But, I still need to see Knight of Fortune.

Certainly I understand your perspective. But if the shorts Oscars were to go to Spielberg, Scorsese, and Nolan...well, I'd still watch, but not with the same level of excitement. As they are now, they seem like admirable labors of love. Anderson's entry this year might have been a labor of love as well. I might wrongfully suspicious of the change from having one feature film to four shorts, and perhaps this is his favorite Dahl story and coincidentally could be told in precisely one minute under the cutoff for being eligible as a "short." It's a good short film in any case.

It's funny how I associate FGBers with movies/directors/bands, etc.. Yes, there are other things, but you are also tied to Nolan and Inception forever for me. I struggled with Oppenheimer, and in the middle of the movie I thought to myself "well, if there is anybody who might be on the same page with me on this one, it could be Krista". :lol:

I was in the "good but not great" category on Oppenheimer so might have liked it more than you did. It's funny that you thought that, as Nolan has several movies I loved. But yeah, Inception wasn't one of them.

This is a gem.

I'm still picking Henry Sugar in my pool but it would not surprise me if this wins and I won't be disappointed, even though it may cost me a couple hundred.

I can't see it being anything but Henry Sugar.

I was in the "good but not great" category on Oppenheimer so might have liked it more than you did. It's funny that you thought that, as Nolan has several movies I loved. But yeah, Inception wasn't one of them.
I should have been more clear. IMO some of what bogged down Inception for you (and on repeat viewings I have come to agree with you) was something I noticed in Oppenheimer and held me back from liking it. I wasn't trying to say that I thought you hated all Nolan movies. Biopics in general have a higher hurdle to clear for me, especially when I know the backstory already, so it had it's work cut out for it before I started it.

This is a gem.

I can't see it being anything but Henry Sugar.
Just watched that- really liked it and while I haven't seen the other nominees but it's hard to believe any other short looked this good or was this well constructed.

I'm so behind on movies especially for 2023. Right now on my to watch list: Flower Moon, Oppenheimer, Asteroid City and the other Wes Anderson short. What other must sees am I missing?

Users who are viewing this thread