What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Academy Awards Discussion Thread*** - “Hollywood’s Biggest Night” (1 Viewer)

So far the only category (at least that I care about) they've gotten wrong was adapted screenplay. Should have been Oppenheimer IMO.

This song is terrible.
Yeah there’s not doubt original music in movies ain’t what it used to be

Not sure I’d go that far as I think the Billie Eilish song is perhaps the best song this year. Not among the nominated songs - among all songs.
Billie Eilish song is so much better than this Ryan Gosling one.

But that performance by Ryan was epic!
Typed that before Slash came out.

ETA: And liked the tribute to Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.

Last edited:
This song is terrible.

Not sure I’d go that far as I think the Billie Eilish song is perhaps the best song this year. Not among the onnominated songs - among all songs.
Oh gosh I strongly disgaree. Give me Mark Ronson and Slash any day.

This song is terrible.

Not sure I’d go that far as I think the Billie Eilish song is perhaps the best song this year. Not among the onnominated songs - among all songs.
Oh gosh I strongly disgaree. Give me Mark Ronson and Slash any day.
Will have to disagree there. I think Academy got it right.

Some random thoughts:

I can not stand when they don't show the In Memoriam section of the show on the full screen. Why do we need to see people dancing or Antonio Bacachelli singing? Please show the people who have passed away in the full screen so we can remember them one last time. And to end the segment by just throwing a huge list of names up there on a distant screen that we can not see at home is unconscionable. I think Burt Young's name was on the bottom there. How in the heck does Burt Young not get a full screen Rocky moment there? Terrible.

The past winners introducing the nominees has been, is and always will be a loser of an idea. It's forced and awkward and nobody wants to see it. Please do it the right way which is you say the nominee's name, you show their Oscar clip and then cut to them sitting in the seat. Then at the end you have the five nominees together on the screen as the winner is announced so we can see all their reactions. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel and just do it the right way.

I saw every nominated movie except Zone of Interest and to me the Best Picture by a mile was Anatomy of a Fall. I'm glad it won for screenplay but everyone else who was part of that movie and nominated should have also won. With apologies to Emma Stone, who was fantastic, Sandra Huller gave an all-time performance and deserved the Oscar in my opinion.

I do not understand the love for Downey Jr.'s performance in Oppenheimer. It's a fine performance but one that could have been given by about 500 other actors. The fact that he swept the category in every awards show is baffling to me. He was like a train going downhill and no award dare stop the train. Was is because they aged him slightly and he wore retro glasses for the movie? I genuinely don't get it. I thought Mark Ruffalo gave a hilarious and original performance in Poor Things and should have at least been in the conversation. He would have been my pick if it were up to me.

I know I'm an old guy but Billie Eilish is just doing a vocal shtick, right? It's just sing as softly as you can. Why is she so beloved? I'm sure I'm the one missing something here but I'm perplexed. Just sing barely above a whisper and rack up the trophies. I may try it.

I really did not think Lily Gladstone was the Best Actress this year. She gave a solid performance but the accolades thrown on her leading up to tonight were just way too much for the quality of her perfomance. i thought the song they played tonight from that movie was pretty awesome though.

If I had to rank the best picture nominees my list would be:

1- Anatomy of a Fall - One of the best movies I have seen in some time
2- The Holdovers - I loved it and Giamatti really deserves to win something at some point.
3- Poor Things - I thought it was great and Emma Stone was incredibly brave for putting herself out there like that. A deserved win for her tonight.
4- American Fiction - Smart, solid perfomances and an all around really good movie
5- Maestro - I liked it more than I thought I would. A great character study. Cooper will make something all-time great at some point.
6- Past Lives - Good movie that the Mrs and I enjoyed.
7 - Killers of the Flower Moon - Kind of incredible DiCaprio wasn't nominated because he's great in this movie. DeNiro is as good as we've seen him in some time. The movie is just way way too long though. Just absurdly long. I'm looking at the clock at one point and thought holy cow, there's still two more hours. Somebody has to tell marty no more than 2-2:15. I don't know how anyone can stay with that movie all the way through without zoning out of it at some point.
8- Oppenheimer - I wish i saw it the theater and in the summer when it was out there but by the time I saw it it did not live up to the hype for me. I can appreciate the tremendous talent it took to make but really, does anyone want to see that movie a second time? And it's another film that went on way too long. Murphy is great. See above for my thoughts on Downey Jr.
9- Barbie - Easily my least favorite of the nominees. Solid summer movie I guess but Best Picture at the Oscars? No. The movie that made me realize that Will Ferrel and Kate McKinnon's acts have grown tired. Gossling was hilarious tonight. Margot Robbie was fine but didn't think she deserved an academy award nomination. When i read America Ferrara was nominated I thought it was a mistake. For sure a weak year in terms of supporting actress performances but no way did she deserve a nomination for this.

Did not see Zone of Interest but will as soon as you can rent it for $5 instead of buying it for $20.

All in all I thought it was a solid show with some memorable moments. Thanks for reading.

Some random thoughts:

I can not stand when they don't show the In Memoriam section of the show on the full screen. Why do we need to see people dancing or Antonio Bacachelli singing? Please show the people who have passed away in the full screen so we can remember them one last time. And to end the segment by just throwing a huge list of names up there on a distant screen that we can not see at home is unconscionable. I think Burt Young's name was on the bottom there. How in the heck does Burt Young not get a full screen Rocky moment there? Terrible.

The past winners introducing the nominees has been, is and always will be a loser of an idea. It's forced and awkward and nobody wants to see it. Please do it the right way which is you say the nominee's name, you show their Oscar clip and then cut to them sitting in the seat. Then at the end you have the five nominees together on the screen as the winner is announced so we can see all their reactions. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel and just do it the right way.

I saw every nominated movie except Zone of Interest and to me the Best Picture by a mile was Anatomy of a Fall. I'm glad it won for screenplay but everyone else who was part of that movie and nominated should have also won. With apologies to Emma Stone, who was fantastic, Sandra Huller gave an all-time performance and deserved the Oscar in my opinion.

I do not understand the love for Downey Jr.'s performance in Oppenheimer. It's a fine performance but one that could have been given by about 500 other actors. The fact that he swept the category in every awards show is baffling to me. He was like a train going downhill and no award dare stop the train. Was is because they aged him slightly and he wore retro glasses for the movie? I genuinely don't get it. I thought Mark Ruffalo gave a hilarious and original performance in Poor Things and should have at least been in the conversation. He would have been my pick if it were up to me.

I know I'm an old guy but Billie Eilish is just doing a vocal shtick, right? It's just sing as softly as you can. Why is she so beloved? I'm sure I'm the one missing something here but I'm perplexed. Just sing barely above a whisper and rack up the trophies. I may try it.

I really did not think Lily Gladstone was the Best Actress this year. She gave a solid performance but the accolades thrown on her leading up to tonight were just way too much for the quality of her perfomance. i thought the song they played tonight from that movie was pretty awesome though.

2- The Holdovers - I loved it and Giamatti really deserves to win something at some point.
3- Poor Things - I thought it was great and Emma Stone was incredibly brave for putting herself out there like that. A deserved win for her tonight.
4- American Fiction - Smart, solid perfomances and an all around really good movie
5- Maestro - I liked it more than I thought I would. A great character study. Cooper will make something all-time great at some point.
7 - Killers of the Flower Moon - Kind of incredible DiCaprio wasn't nominated because he's great in this movie. DeNiro is as good as we've seen him in some time. The movie is just way way too long though. Just absurdly long. I'm looking at the clock at one point and thought holy cow, there's still two more hours. Somebody has to tell marty no more than 2-2:15. I don't know how anyone can stay with that movie all the way through without zoning out of it at some point.
8- Oppenheimer - I wish i saw it the theater and in the summer when it was out there but by the time I saw it it did not live up to the hype for me. I can appreciate the tremendous talent it took to make but really, does anyone want to see that movie a second time? And it's another film that went on way too long. Murphy is great. See above for my thoughts on Downey Jr.
9- Barbie - Easily my least favorite of the nominees. Solid summer movie I guess but Best Picture at the Oscars? No. The movie that made me realize that Will Ferrel and Kate McKinnon's acts have grown tired. Gossling was hilarious tonight. Margot Robbie was fine but didn't think she deserved an academy award nomination. When i read America Ferrara was nominated I thought it was a mistake. For sure a weak year in terms of supporting actress performances but no way did she deserve a nomination for this.

Did not see Zone of Interest but will as soon as you can rent it for $5 instead of buying it for $20.

All in all I thought it was a solid show with some memorable moments. Thanks for reading.
The Zone of Interest was my favorite film of the year with the Holdovers and Anatomy of a Fall close 2nd and 3rd.

Some random thoughts:

I liked, really liked or loved every full length film nominated in most of the major categories this year (I didn't see any of the animated full lengths, To Kill A Tiger or Io Capitano---watched all of the others).

That's probably a first. I usually really dislike at least a few of them.

Pretty solid year.

My Oscar pool is going to come down to 4 categories:

Production design (Barbie or Poor Things)
Costume (Barbie or Poor Things)
Makeup (Maestro or Poor Things)
Documentary short (ABCs of Book Banning or Last Repair Shop)

No clear cut frontrunner in any of those. All the others have a definite favorite.

Anyone have a strong opinion for the winner in any of those categories?
Damn.

If I’d gone all in on Poor Things (not even including best actress) I win my Oscar pool by 1 point.

I went with Barbie/Maestro and it bit me in the ***. Finished 2nd by 2 points.

Wow these little speeches are kind of nice but also is this going to go on until 1 am?
Seems these days, the Oscars end MUCH earlier than they used to. I remember when pushing 11:00 p.m. Central was the norm in the 1980s. Today, they were done by 9:30.

Thank you. I look forward to the In Memoriam every year. It was hard to follow in this year’s format.

Some random thoughts:

The Zone of Interest was my favorite film of the year with the Holdovers and Anatomy of a Fall close 2nd and 3rd.
Great post agree with your thoughts throughout. Travesty in how they presented the In Memoriam segment as they spent more time on the singers than the departed. Also I like music that is quieter and introspective as it should not be the focus.

Didn't see Maestro (no interest) or Zone of Interest (like Willie, waiting until I can rent it). My grades for this years' nominees:

Boring, so very boring: Past Lives
Fine But Forgettable: American Fiction and Barbie
Good but not great: Anatomy of a Fall (Courtroom scenes were awesome, rest of it not so much IMO)
Strong Contenders in Any Other Year: Poor Things, Holdovers, KotFM
The Clear and Obvious Winner: Oppenheimer

War Is Over! Inspired by the Music of John and Yoko (not yet streaming) - Yep yep, I'm putting this short inspired by probably my favorite musician only slightly above the short I don't remember seeing. It's that bad. It was written/produced by Sean Lennon, who seems like as sweet a guy as you could imagine (see what I did there), but this is insipid "why can't we all be friends" tripe with uninteresting animation. John and Yoko deserved better.
Oh, dear.

(Tim Blake Nelson is from Oklahoma.)

This song is terrible.

Not sure I’d go that far as I think the Billie Eilish song is perhaps the best song this year. Not among the nominated songs - among all songs.
Why? For me, everything she sings sounds like everything else she sings.

There's no Thumper Rule here!

(And it's a serious question. I don't get it at all.)

This song is terrible.

That’s an interesting criticism. Lots of iconic singers with unique vocal styles employ that same style throughout their catalog. Now, if you don’t like that style, that’s of course not going to be a good thing. With Billie, singing quietly in her upper register is her trademark, though What Was I Made For takes that quietness to another level. I can get why some people don’t care for it, but I find it mesmerizing. The vocal control it takes to sing that song is off the charts and as difficult as anything that Whitney sang. I’m not joking. And that song in particular taps into a melancholy inner monologue in a way that no other song I’ve ever heard does.

In any event, the song I thought was terrible was It Never Went Away. I suspect in the context of the film it was more powerful, because as a composition I thought it was seriously lacking (good piano playing though). Of course, within the next 15 minutes it got knocked off its pedestal by The Fire Inside. I can’t even explain what that was - and I actually enjoyed Flamin’ Hot!

Entertaining show with good winners. The Gosling performance was classic and I loved the early start time.
Agree with all of this. Pacino's finish was unfortunate for the night, though.
I think he was a little gunshy thinking about happened to Beatty. I think the “my eyes see” instead “and the winner is” was his way giving himself cover and trying to be funny. But it was just weird.

This song is terrible.

That’s an interesting criticism. Lots of iconic singers with unique vocal styles employ that same style throughout their catalog. Now, if you don’t like that style, that’s of course not going to be a good thing. With Billie, singing quietly in her upper register is her trademark, though What Was I Made For takes that quietness to another level. I can get why some people don’t care for it, but I find it mesmerizing. The vocal control it takes to sing that song is off the charts and as difficult as anything that Whitney sang. I’m not joking. And that song in particular taps into a melancholy inner monologue in a way that no other song I’ve ever heard does.

In any event, the song I thought was terrible was It Never Went Away. I suspect in the context of the film it was more powerful, because as a composition I thought it was seriously lacking (good piano playing though). Of course, within the next 15 minutes it got knocked off its pedestal by The Fire Inside. I can’t even explain what that was - and I actually enjoyed Flamin’ Hot!

You said it better than I could on the Billie Eilish song.

I do think It Never Went Away is better with (or within) the context of the movie. The “American Symphony” doc is about Jon Batiste’s wife’s second battle with cancer at the same time as Jon Batiste writes his first symphony. Batiste wrote the song for his wife, and the lyrics about continuing to love in the face of everything been through. So, it does resonate a bit more.

Entertaining show with good winners. The Gosling performance was classic and I loved the early start time.
Agree with all of this. Pacino's finish was unfortunate for the night, though.
I think he was a little gunshy thinking about happened to Beatty. I think the “my eyes see” instead “and the winner is” was his way giving himself cover and trying to be funny. But it was just weird.
It was weird and clunky beyond that. While watching I thought somebody missed renaming the nominees again and he just when to awkwardly naming the winner. I could have missed something too.

Users who are viewing this thread