What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Oppenheimer - New Christopher Nolan movie (1 Viewer)

Starting to wonder if I should just wait and watch this at home
If you want the worst possible viewing experience, then yea, wait.

This movie was made to be seen on the biggest screen / best sound possible.

The sound in Nolan’s movies is a pretty unique aspect of his filmmaking that is best experienced in the theater. That said, and just to moderate expectations, 90-95% of the movie is people having conversations in classrooms, boardrooms and bedrooms. But that 5-10% that really does need the theater experience is astounding. It’s worth going now to see it as it’s meant to be seen.
while they spend 90-95% of the movie talking there always seemed to be music playing in the background, I thought I imagined it but after a google it seems there was roughly 2.5 hours worth of violin/piano playing in the background.

6/10.

Good story but not enough action. Where was the final scene with the bomb drop? Major fail leaving that out.
You really wanted to see people having their skin melted off and kids in school being instantly incinerated? Plus Oppenheimer wasn't there so he would have never seen it.

Maybe I am in the minority or too nitpicky, but I thought it was good but not great. That's how I feel about many of Nolan's movies. I get that telling a story linearly and chronologically isn't always the most creative way to present material, but I find that Nolan tells some of his stories across different points in time and keeps going back and forth. It is what it is. In this case, I didn't find myself as interested in the backstory to get to the Manhattan Project, I was somewhat engaged in the development and testing part of the story, but I was most captured by the security hearing from the 50s. To me, I found it to be too long and dragged in parts. I felt they could have shaved off at least 30 minutes without really impacting the trajectory of the movie. But no one asked me to direct it, and overall it was enjoyable. I thought RDJ was great. But I can't see myself watching it again.

Good movie. The political shenanigans were a little confusing at first with the back and forth to multiple points in time but made sense in the end. I thought Robert Downey Jr was really good. Did Oppy really try to kill his teacher?

Finally saw it last night. That is a long movie! I was struggling to stay awake towards the end. I had never seen a Nolan movie until I watched Dunkirk on Saturday - it's a little hard for me to follow along, which is how I felt last night with Oppenheimer. I probably would benefit watching it again, though I'm not sure I want to do that. I am glad I saw it in the theater - it was visually stunning.

But long. Really long.

Finally saw it last night. That is a long movie! I was struggling to stay awake towards the end. I had never seen a Nolan movie until I watched Dunkirk on Saturday - it's a little hard for me to follow along, which is how I felt last night with Oppenheimer. I probably would benefit watching it again, though I'm not sure I want to do that. I am glad I saw it in the theater - it was visually stunning.

But long. Really long.
Saw it in an IMAX theater. Wouldn’t have thought this was a film that would benefit from that, but my BIL insisted that’s we see it with my dad. That was a good call.

But long. Really long.
Wait you never saw Dark Knight or Inception or Memento?

But long. Really long.
I think almost all of Nolan's movies are way too long. They're technically sound, well-directed, well-acted, etc., but somebody needs to edit his films down by at least 30 minutes a piece.

But long. Really long.
Wait you never saw Dark Knight or Inception or Memento?

Nope.

But long. Really long.
I think almost all of Nolan's movies are way too long. They're technically sound, well-directed, well-acted, etc., but somebody needs to edit his films down by at least 30 minutes a piece.

I liked Dunkirk better than Oppenheimer but I feel like it also needs a rewatch. Had trouble with character recognition. Watched it alone so I couldn't ask "wait, who was that that just died"?

The one I want to watch next is the one with Pacino and Robin Williams but I can't seem to find it on any services without paying for it.

I'm not watching a bat man movie under any circumstances.

But long. Really long.

I liked Dunkirk better than Oppenheimer but I feel like it also needs a rewatch. Had trouble with character recognition. Watched it alone so I couldn't ask "wait, who was that that just died"?

I’d put Tenet last on your list, not because it isn’t good, but if Dunkirk had you even mildly confused in parts, Tenet will really twist your head.

I’d try Interstellar or Inception next if you can’t find Insomnia.

Meh

Not sure why people were calling this the movie of the year.

Don't get me wrong fascinating story but the last hour was a complete bore.

And why were people saying this was a MUST SEE in imax? It was 3 hours of talking.

Probably my least favorite Nolan movie.

I'm really more curious why people said this was must see in iMax. Even the explosion was nothing special.

The acting, sound, and first two hours were very good though.

I'm really more curious why people said this was must see in iMax. Even the explosion was nothing special.

I don’t know about imax but the explosion scene was incredibly intense and engulfing. I doubt you could get that full experience watching it at home.

I don’t know about imax but the explosion scene was incredibly intense and engulfing. I doubt you could get that full experience watching it at home.
It was definitely underwhelming on TV.

Still to say YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS IN A THEATER to see a 2 minute scene is a bit much.

Did you see the explosion in imax?
I watched it at home. It was a 2 minute scene. Is that what everyone means. You have to see it in imax for a 2 minute scene?

But I don't think it was just that. The movie was intense throughout. And intensity is something that doesn't transfer well to home theater.

I admit, though - I'm a theater snob. Outside of like rom-coms, I think most movies are just way better in the theater. And a big part of that is just how engrossed in the film you get. Not to project my failures onto you but I get so distracted at home. And just lose so much of the movie that way.

Having said that, I watched Roma at home a couple of years ago and did my best to actually recreate the theater experience. I turned off all distractions, turned off the lights, had the big tv going, etc. And that worked ok. But that's just so rare that I do that.

Did you see the explosion in imax?
I watched it at home. It was a 2 minute scene. Is that what everyone means. You have to see it in imax for a 2 minute scene?

But I don't think it was just that. The movie was intense throughout. And intensity is something that doesn't transfer well to home theater.

I admit, though - I'm a theater snob. Outside of like rom-coms, I think most movies are just way better in the theater. And a big part of that is just how engrossed in the film you get. Not to project my failures onto you but I get so distracted at home. And just lose so much of the movie that way.

Having said that, I watched Roma at home a couple of years ago and did my best to actually recreate the theater experience. I turned off all distractions, turned off the lights, had the big tv going, etc. And that worked ok. But that's just so rare that I do that.
The way Nolan jumps between scenes and discussions every 30 seconds to 2 minutes made the entire movie intense. I get that. I felt that at home too.

It was definitely underwhelming on TV.

Still to say YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS IN A THEATER to see a 2 minute scene is a bit much.

It's more than just that scene, but not a whole bunch more. I tried to warn you:
The sound in Nolan’s movies is a pretty unique aspect of his filmmaking that is best experienced in the theater. That said, and just to moderate expectations, 90-95% of the movie is people having conversations in classrooms, boardrooms and bedrooms. But that 5-10% that really does need the theater experience is astounding. It’s worth going now to see it as it’s meant to be seen.

There are a lot of impactful sound cuts throughout the film. For Oppenheimer, I think it is the sound more than anything that benefits from a theater experience. And for more than just that one scene.

Good movie. The political shenanigans were a little confusing at first with the back and forth to multiple points in time but made sense in the end. I thought Robert Downey Jr was really good. Did Oppy really try to kill his teacher?
I read that was fiction

Huh. TIL that Memento is the only Christopher Nolan film that I've been able to sit through more than once. I really don't like this guy's filmography, but obviously I'm in the minority here.
I’m with you. Memento and Inception were OK, Tenet terrible. Haven’t seen the others.

Just saw Oppenheimer on an overnight flight. Seemed decent, but I nodded off a couple times. Probably worth a rewatch under better viewing conditions.

My wife thinks she’s going to like this because “it won a lot of awards”.

It’s right up my alley so I’ll be happy for the movie and her voluntarily watching something during the WW2 era will just be the icing on the cake.

I read that was fiction
Part about trying to poison his teacher was in the book, but a bit uncertain. Had nothing to do with Neils Bohr or Oppenheimer correcting his mistake. Tutor just did not eat the apple, per the story. From the book (copying from my Kindle):

Late that autumn of 1925, Robert did something so stupid that it seemed calculated to prove that his emotional distress was overwhelming him. Consumed by feelings of inadequacy and intense jealousy, he “poisoned” an apple with chemicals from the laboratory and left it on Blackett’s desk. Jeffries Wyman later said, “Whether or not this was an imaginary apple, or a real apple, whatever it was, it was an act of jealousy.” Fortunately, Blackett did not eat the apple; but university officials somehow were informed of the incident. As Robert himself confessed to Fergusson two months later, “He had kind of poisoned the head steward. It seemed incredible, but that was what he said. And he had actually used cyanide or something somewhere. And fortunately the tutor discovered it. Of course there was hell to pay with Cambridge.” If the alleged “poison” was potentially lethal, what Robert had done amounted to attempted murder. But this seems improbable, given what happened next. More likely, Robert had laced the apple with something that merely would have made Blackett sick; but this was still a serious matter—and grounds for expulsion.

As Robert’s parents were still visiting Cambridge, the university authorities immediately informed them of what had happened. Julius Oppenheimer frantically—and successfully—lobbied the university not to press criminal charges. After protracted negotiations, it was agreed that Robert would be put on probation and have regular sessions with a prominent Harley Street psychiatrist in London. As Robert’s old Ethical Culture School mentor, Herbert Smith, put it, “He was retained at Cambridge for a while only on condition that he had periodic interviews with a psychiatrist.”

Last edited:
I read that was fiction
Part about trying to poison his teacher was in the book, but a bit uncertain. Had nothing to do with Neils Bohr or Oppenheimer correcting his mistake. Tutor just did not eat the apple, per the story. From the book:

Late that autumn of 1925, Robert did something so stupid that it seemed calculated to prove that his emotional distress was overwhelming him. Consumed by feelings of inadequacy and intense jealousy, he “poisoned” an apple with chemicals from the laboratory and left it on Blackett’s desk. Jeffries Wyman later said, “Whether or not this was an imaginary apple, or a real apple, whatever it was, it was an act of jealousy.” Fortunately, Blackett did not eat the apple; but university officials somehow were informed of the incident. As Robert himself confessed to Fergusson two months later, “He had kind of poisoned the head steward. It seemed incredible, but that was what he said. And he had actually used cyanide or something somewhere. And fortunately the tutor discovered it. Of course there was hell to pay with Cambridge.” If the alleged “poison” was potentially lethal, what Robert had done amounted to attempted murder. But this seems improbable, given what happened next. More likely, Robert had laced the apple with something that merely would have made Blackett sick; but this was still a serious matter—and grounds for expulsion. As Robert’s parents were still visiting Cambridge, the university authorities immediately informed them of what had happened. Julius Oppenheimer frantically—and successfully—lobbied the university not to press criminal charges. After protracted negotiations, it was agreed that Robert would be put on probation and have regular sessions with a prominent Harley Street psychiatrist in London. As Robert’s old Ethical Culture School mentor, Herbert Smith, put it, “He was retained at Cambridge for a while only on condition that he had periodic interviews with a psychiatrist.”
Book or no, that didn’t happen.

Huh. TIL that Memento is the only Christopher Nolan film that I've been able to sit through more than once. I really don't like this guy's filmography, but obviously I'm in the minority here.
I’m with you. Memento and Inception were OK, Tenet terrible. Haven’t seen the others.

Just saw Oppenheimer on an overnight flight. Seemed decent, but I nodded off a couple times. Probably worth a rewatch under better viewing conditions.

Inception is easily in my top ten movies of all time. Out of curiosity, did you see it in a theater? Agree with your take on Tenet. Also, did you see Dunkirk?

Inception is easily in my top ten movies of all time. Out of curiosity, did you see it in a theater? Agree with your take on Tenet. Also, did you see Dunkirk?
I did. It was a while ago, and tbh, don’t remember much about it.

I tend not to like sci-fi movies dependent on special effects, so probably less receptive to some of his films, inception included.

Also not a fan of Nolan’s reliance on multiple timelines in a few of his films.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread