What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Oppenheimer - New Christopher Nolan movie (1 Viewer)

Saw it in IMAX. Liked it a lot. Definitely an upper tier film, but Nolan is so good it's not even in my top 3 Nolan films for me, much less in the best of all-time conversation that early reviews mentioned.

Also saw it yesterday in IMAX. Beautiful looking and sounding film as expected. Thought Downey and Dalton both played very memorable characters.

So weird that one of the 14 70mm IMAX theaters in the US is in Grand Rapids. I've got my ticket.

Dunkirk was spectacular in that theater - people were flinching and covering their heads in a 2D movie when the Stukas were diving.

Denis Villeneuve?
I was just looking up his filmography and I don’t think I’ve seen any of his films. It looks like a lot of sci fi and I don’t watch much of that, so may have gone under my radar — but I enjoy a good director regardless of genre. Which one would you start with?
IMDB ratings (which I prefer over RT) - most recent first:
  • Dune 8.0 (Hulu)
  • Blade Runner 2049 8.0 (Fubo)
  • Arrival 7.9 (Prime)
  • Sicario 7.6 (tubi with ads)
  • Enemy 6.9 (Max)
  • Prisoners 8.1 (Netflix)
So, just pick any movie and watch it, I'd say. I've seen the first four and they're all amazingly good in my opinion. Dune is stunning for the sound and visuals, less for the story.

For those interested in diving a little deeper into the Manhattan Project and the science behind building the bomb, this quick documentary was well done.
My grandmother worked on this project. She didn't know it until years later.

My grandfather was a pilot in the Navy, so they moved a ton. So when they would settle somewhere she would try and get a job doing whatever she could find. And that was one of her stops.

Denis Villeneuve?
I was just looking up his filmography and I don’t think I’ve seen any of his films. It looks like a lot of sci fi and I don’t watch much of that, so may have gone under my radar — but I enjoy a good director regardless of genre. Which one would you start with?
  • Dune 8.0 (Hulu)
  • Arrival 7.9 (Prime)
  • Enemy 6.9 (Max)
So, just pick any movie and watch it, I'd say. I've seen the first four and they're all amazingly good in my opinion. Dune is stunning for the sound and visuals, less for the story.
Don't sleep on Incendies (8.3).

Denis Villeneuve?
  • Dune 8.0 (Hulu)
  • Arrival 7.9 (Prime)
  • Enemy 6.9 (Max)
Don't sleep on Incendies (8.3).
Okay, added to my queue on JustWatch. Not currently free on any service.

Just got back (and went by myself per the what’s normal thread). It is an extremely important movie, and truly a cinematic achievement with incredible performances. Shoe in for nominations for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor and Best Adapted Screenplay, not to mention a slew of other technical awards. All that said, Oppenheimer didn’t generate the emotional response that his other films have for me. Not sure why. In the end, I certainly recognized the greatness, but just didn’t feel it.

Denis Villeneuve?
  • Dune 8.0 (Hulu)
  • Arrival 7.9 (Prime)
  • Enemy 6.9 (Max)

Love Sicario. Such a fantastic movie.

Just got back (and went by myself per the what’s normal thread). It is an extremely important movie, and truly a cinematic achievement with incredible performances. Shoe in for nominations for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor and Best Adapted Screenplay, not to mention a slew of other technical awards. All that said, Oppenheimer didn’t generate the emotional response that his other films have for me. Not sure why. In the end, I certainly recognized the greatness, but just didn’t feel it.
Same here BB. I was a little disappointed to be honest. I feel like the film tried to tackle too much.

Same here BB. I was a little disappointed to be honest. I feel like the film tried to tackle too much.
Agreed with both of these takes. The film felt bloated and overwrought. Plenty of awards to go around, especially for the cast, but it is probably the last Nolan movie I'd want to view more than once.

Agreed with both of these takes. The film felt bloated and overwrought. Plenty of awards to go around, especially for the cast, but it is probably the last Nolan movie I'd want to view more than once.

I’d watch the Florence Pugh scenes more than once though! Big fan.

I’d watch the Florence Pugh scenes more than once though! Big fan.
She has nice skin. ;)

So, imax or 70mm for the best viewing experience? 70mm imax is not available.
I’ve read that the order is 70mm IMAX > 70mm > IMAX. I didn’t retain why.

ETA:
Yeah, I read the same information after posting. We've got tickets for Saturday.

So weird that one of the 14 70mm IMAX theaters in the US is in Grand Rapids. I've got my ticket.

Dunkirk was spectacular in that theater - people were flinching and covering their heads in a 2D movie when the Stukas were diving.
had lunch at Black Napkin on Wednesday :bye:

This is going to sound redundant, but it was way too Christopher Nolan for me. It's like Christopher Nolan had to prove to the audience time and time again that it was a Christopher Nolan movie, and I found it distracted from the characters and story.

Probably doesn't make any sense, but :shrug: .

You won’t find another poster on this board who likes the WW2 era more than I.

Dunkirk SUCKED.

Like Dune and Sicario . I love Emily blunt but her entire character/story had nothing to do with the plot/was 100% filler.

Saw it in IMAX and enjoyed it. I never noticed that Downey or Oldman were in it. I knew that Strauss was an actor I knew, but I never figured it out.

Starting to wonder if I should just wait and watch this at home
If you want the worst possible viewing experience, then yea, wait.

This movie was made to be seen on the biggest screen / best sound possible.

The sound in Nolan’s movies is a pretty unique aspect of his filmmaking that is best experienced in the theater. That said, and just to moderate expectations, 90-95% of the movie is people having conversations in classrooms, boardrooms and bedrooms. But that 5-10% that really does need the theater experience is astounding. It’s worth going now to see it as it’s meant to be seen.

Saw it yesterday, and while it was a good movie, I was underwhelmed. This is a story that writes itself in wartime desperation, human ingenuity, and scientific wonder. And I'm certainly a fan of documentaries, I wanted to see a cinematic achievement and this fell short imho.
Maybe my expectations were too high as I love Nolan films, Inception and Interstellar are infinitely rewatchable, but this movie was not on par.
Now, I get it, I'm an old, but I need to rewatch this with close captioning. There was a ton of dialog, and tons of characters referred to by names and it took me most of the movie to figure out who was who and I certainly missed a lot of dialog due to background sounds. I still am not sure the whole to-do with the isotopes controversy between Oppenheimer and Strauss. I am glad I didn't pay the extra money to watch in Imax because it was barely worth it to see it in the theaters for the 10 or so wow minutes that are enhanced watching in theaters.
My wife loved it, so I'm sure I'm in the minority in that I also felt there was overacting galore. Thought Emily Blunt was great though ffs, I didn't recognize her at all.

I think this is the first movie I've ever seen multiple times in theaters. Thought the storytelling, acting, and cinematography were all excellent - one of my favorite movies in recent memory.

I love Emily blunt but her entire character/story had nothing to do with the plot/was 100% filler.
So his wife has nothing to-do with his life story?

I admit it’s been awhile but IIRC, wasn’t she just some random agent? Didn’t she hook up with a dude in a bar who tried to kill her?

Wife? Huh?
I thought you were referring to Oppenheimer. I guess you were a referring to Sicario. Which is also weird because in Sicario she was a focal point of the movie. So really not sure how she was filler in either movie.

I love Emily blunt but her entire character/story had nothing to do with the plot/was 100% filler.

I admit it’s been awhile but IIRC, wasn’t she just some random agent? Didn’t she hook up with a dude in a bar who tried to kill her?

Wife? Huh?
I thought you were referring to Oppenheimer. I guess you were a referring to Sicario. Which is also weird because in Sicario she was a focal point of the movie. So really not sure how she was filler in either movie.
He must be confusing the movie or misremembering because saying Blunt is filler in Sicario is like saying Mel Gibson was a filler character in Lethal Weapon.

Last edited:

Wife? Huh?

While on the subject of Nolan movies, and just after DUnkirk was mentioned I said:

You won’t find another poster on this board who likes the WW2 era more than I.

Dunkirk SUCKED.

Like Dune and Sicario . I love Emily blunt but her entire character/story had nothing to do with the plot/was 100% filler.

Obviously Blunt is in Oppenheimer so I understand your confusion, but that aint on me.

Last edited:

Wife? Huh?
He must be confusing the movie or misremembering because saying Blunt is filler in Sicario is like saying Mel Gibson was a filler character in Lethal Weapon.

It's fine if you disagree but Im not the least bit "confused" or "misremembering" anything. Its my opinion that her character did NOTHING for the story.

ETA - WERE STILL TALKING ABOUT SICARIO in case anybody is still having trouble keeping up.

Wife? Huh?

It's fine if you disagree but Im not the least bit "confused" or "misremembering" anything. Its my opinion that her character did NOTHING for the story.

ETA - WERE STILL TALKING ABOUT SICARIO in case anybody is still having trouble keeping up.
So the person who the stories perspective is told from (i.e. how we get introduced to the CIA, the cartels, the secret mission, and how the CIA used the FBI conduct their covert mission) is somehow, not important to the story of the cartels, the secret mission, and how the CIA used the FBI to conduct a covert mission. Well that’s one way to view it I guess.

Wife? Huh?

So the person who the stories perspective is told from (i.e. how we get introduced to the CIA, the cartels, the secret mission, and how the CIA used the FBI conduct their covert mission) is somehow, not important to the story of the cartels, the secret mission, and how the CIA used the FBI to conduct a covert mission. Well that’s one way to view it I guess.

SMARMY is unbecoming.

Wife? Huh?

I see what your saying. I thought that was kinda the point. They were just using her for her credentials, because they had to. She was just along for the ride.

Wife? Huh?

I see what your saying. I thought that was kinda the point. They were just using her for her credentials, because they had to. She was just along for the ride.
It’s a completely different movie without that. That’s the opposite of filler.

Users who are viewing this thread