What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL AFC CHAMPIONSHIP : KC Chiefs vs NE Patriots *** (1 Viewer)

No, of course it doesn't matter in terms of analyzing this next game. Hunt being out matters, maybe other pieces have changed. - I think the history is kind of interesting, but we've gone through this with the Seahawks, the Saints, the Cards, and other past downtrodden teams, which at one time actually included the Pats themselves. - I do think Reid's coaching history might be relevant and especially so in light of Belichick's. 
Notable changes that I can tell . . .

For NE . . .

Gronk more limited than he was than in Week 6.
Gordon not playing (but was new to the team and didn't do much).
Edelman looking A LOT better than his second game back after missing a year and suspended 4 games.
JC Jackson now a legit CB (didn't play in the first game).
Rex Burkhead back (was on IR the first game).
Dorsett only played 3 snaps the first game.
Overall, NE as a team in very good health.
Last 4 games, defense playing much better.

For KC . . .
No Hunt (had 431 YFS and 4 TD in 2 games against NE)

Eric Berry back.

Not so sure what else is different for the Chiefs this time compared to the game vs. NE in the regular season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the NE fans have it set in their mind this “altitude effect” as an excuse for losing to Denver a couple of times.....Almost dismissing get beat by another team.....”it was the altitude” not the Broncos....I even freaking hate the Broncos, but that is some serious weak sauce....wow......no way they could actually lose to some other team....had to be some other outside factor....

You realize there is a very real physiological reason behind the unique altitude characteristics of mile high stadium, right? 

Youre a pretty bright guy and we all know you hate the Patriots... but this counter is weak. You’re better than this. 

Bottom line is that “pats suck on the road in the playoffs” mantra is at best old news, and at worst flat out untrue when you account for the mile high effect. 

But if you wanna keep banging that drum.. by all means. :thumbup:
:hifive:

Sounds like the NE fans have it set in their mind this “altitude effect” as an excuse for losing to Denver a couple of times.....Almost dismissing get beat by another team.....”it was the altitude” not the Broncos....I even freaking hate the Broncos, but that is some serious weak sauce....wow......no way they could actually lose to some other team....had to be some other outside factor....
:lol:  it’s just me making that assertion that altitude is a distinct and unique home field advantage. Why would you cast that across all Patriots fans? Seems somewhat small-minded.

If we want to look at those Denver games closely, they won with an epic defense against a Patriots team adjusting to altitude. They held the Pats to 4 and 16 points in those two wins. Conversely, the Chiefs have one of the NFLs worst defenses this year (ranked 2nd to last). 

History will have no effect on Sunday.

Players will make plays  ... or they wont.

How about we focus on game strategy and what we should expect to see?

How will NE slow down T.Hill and Kelce? Which to double team? Both? Will Watkins have a big game then?

Will NE blitz often like they did vs. LAC, forcing Mahomes to get rid of the ball quick ... or will LB's be falling back into coverage and daring KC to run?

Assuming KC leaves 6 or 7 in the box to defend the run ... can KC make Brady hold the ball long enough for their pass rush to get home?

... or does Brady quick throw to Edeleman / White / Gronk ... death by paper cuts as they will do ... chewing clock and converting on 3rd and short all game.

Frigid cold ... I would expect several dropped passes and some fumbles. Ball is so dang slippery in this kind of weather.

Could even slip out of a QB's hand for a fumble / INT. Winner of the turnover battle going to the SB?

:lol:  it’s just me making that assertion that altitude is a distinct and unique home field advantage. Why would you cast that across all Patriots fans? Seems somewhat small-minded.

If we want to look at those Denver games closely, they won with an epic defense against a Patriots team adjusting to altitude. They held the Pats to 4 and 16 points in those two wins. Conversely, the Chiefs have one of the NFLs worst defenses this year (ranked 2nd to last). 
In all fairness, Patriots fans (not you necessarily, but others) love to trout out excuses for losses.  If it's not the altitude, it's the helmet catch (first Giants SB loss).  If it's not the helmet catch, it's the refs calling Bailey down at the 1 instead of calling it a fumble and a touchback (2005 loss to Denver).  If it's not the Bailey play, it's the refs not calling PI on Reche Caldwell in the loss to Indy in '06. If it's not the Caldwell play, it's Belichick not playing Malcolm Butler last year.  If it's not Malcolm Butler, it's Gronk being hurt in the 2nd Giants SB loss.  If it's not Gronk being hurt, it's the kicker missing an XP against Denver in the 2015 AFCCG.  If it's not the missed XP, it's "we were crippled by injuries" in the loss to the Ravens in the first round following the '09 season. Seems like it's always something. 

Ghost Rider said:
In all fairness, Patriots fans (not you necessarily, but others) love to trout out excuses for losses.  If it's not the altitude, it's the helmet catch (first Giants SB loss).  If it's not the helmet catch, it's the refs calling Bailey down at the 1 instead of calling it a fumble and a touchback (2005 loss to Denver).  If it's not the Bailey play, it's the refs not calling PI on Reche Caldwell in the loss to Indy in '06. If it's not the Caldwell play, it's Belichick not playing Malcolm Butler last year.  If it's not Malcolm Butler, it's Gronk being hurt in the 2nd Giants SB loss.  If it's not Gronk being hurt, it's the kicker missing an XP against Denver in the 2015 AFCCG.  If it's not the missed XP, it's "we were crippled by injuries" in the loss to the Ravens in the first round following the '09 season. Seems like it's always something. 
While i never complained about 95% of that, Name one successful fan base that doesn’t have some fans who do the same thing.... they all do :)  

Far more games than we all care to admit have a more sizeable chunk of luck one way or another. The good vs bad calls tend to even out over time if you’re rational. 

However certain environments have more significant advantages that simply aren’t present in other places. Hell, the cold weather and stadium conditions in New England are one. For example: If I was to argue hypothetically that if Team X was undefeated on the road except for when playing in snow in foxboro, I don’t think anyone would take issue with setting those results aside if the upcoming game were in New Orleans (indoors/turf). I consider that similar to setting aside games played at 5000ft altitude.

It’s not like I’m picking something arbitrary like “games against Peyton” which would have them undefeated I think? We’re talking tangible physical conditions that directly impact performance. 

Its my opinion. Folks can disagree... but if you consider games played with typical breathing conditions the “pats suck on the road in the playoffs simply isn’t true”. 

Either way... this game is being played in below freezing conditions, at near sea level altitude. No excuses here. These are not the same two teams that faced off earlier this year. 

May the best team win. 

While i never complained about 95% of that, Name one successful fan base that doesn’t have some fans who do the same thing.... they all do :)  

Far more games than we all care to admit have a more sizeable chunk of luck one way or another. The good vs bad calls tend to even out over time if you’re rational. 

However certain environments have more significant advantages that simply aren’t present in other places. Hell, the cold weather and stadium conditions in New England are one. For example: If I was to argue hypothetically that if Team X was undefeated on the road except for when playing in snow in foxboro, I don’t think anyone would take issue with setting those results aside if the upcoming game were in New Orleans (indoors/turf). I consider that similar to setting aside games played at 5000ft altitude.

It’s not like I’m picking something arbitrary like “games against Peyton” which would have them undefeated I think? We’re talking tangible physical conditions that directly impact performance. 

Its my opinion. Folks can disagree... but if you consider games played with typical breathing conditions the “pats suck on the road in the playoffs simply isn’t true”. 

Either way... this game is being played in below freezing conditions, at near sea level altitude. No excuses here. These are not the same two teams that faced off earlier this year. 

May the best team win. 
many teams teams go into Denver and donkey punch them in the throat....the Chiefs are one of them recently....Chiefs haven't lost in Denver since 2014...if anything you would think the mastermind BB would have figured out a way to make it a non issue....many teams have...not quite sure you are giving those Bronco teams that beat NE enough credit.....please stop with the altitude excuses....its the NFL, they are professionals....it's not all of a sudden a surprise that when you go to Denver you are playing at altitude....figure it out...many teams do...

For NE . . .

Edelman looking A LOT better than his second game back after missing a year and suspended 4 games.

For KC . . .

Eric Berry back.

Not so sure what else is different for the Chiefs this time compared to the game vs. NE in the regular season.
Justin houston didnt play in first matchup 

many teams teams go into Denver and donkey punch them in the throat....the Chiefs are one of them recently....Chiefs haven't lost in Denver since 2014...if anything you would think the mastermind BB would have figured out a way to make it a non issue....many teams have...not quite sure you are giving those Bronco teams that beat NE enough credit.....please stop with the altitude excuses....its the NFL, they are professionals....it's not all of a sudden a surprise that when you go to Denver you are playing at altitude....figure it out...many teams do...
The Chiefs literally play in Denver once a year because they are in the same division, your argument is weak. The Patriots have won IN Denver the last 2 times they've played there. There are many teams besides the Patriots that have struggled with the altitude there, it's a legitimate home field advantage.

The Broncos won those playoff games against the Patriots in '05, '13 and '15 because they were the better team, not because the Patriots had issues with the altitude.  Hell, a week after the Broncos beat the Patriots in the divisional round in '05, the Steelers came to town and donkey punched the Broncos into the offseason. 

The Chiefs literally play in Denver once a year because they are in the same division, your argument is weak. The Patriots have won IN Denver the last 2 times they've played there. There are many teams besides the Patriots that have struggled with the altitude there, it's a legitimate home field advantage.
Really...I had no idea they are in the same division.....lol....you are literally proving the point I was trying to make....thank you

For NE . . .

For KC . . .

Eric Berry back.

ok, soooo...this game is in KC with THAT crowd and THAT noise. do NOT discount the home team advantage in their first AFC Championship game ever. the place will be ROCKIN'. and Andy Reid just might throw caution to the wind  and call a balls-to-the-wall gameplan here..there's a reason BB looks as uncomfortable in press conferences  as a  long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs. like he's a guy afraid of heights who's about to ride the Cheetah at  Busch gardens tampa.pun intended.

Damien Williams playing like stud starting RB now. Two 100 yard games in past 3 outings. 5.1 ypc avg on the season.Kareem Hunt forgotten.

Houston is back.

Since week 6 game, Mahomes has locked down the MVP.. 

like sands through the hourglass, they still can't stop the Cheetah. 

NE losses came at the hands of non-playoff teams Lions, Titans, Pitt, Fins, Jax, while Chiefs losses came at the hands of playoff teams, including NE @ foxboro - road game in NE and tied it late, put 40 on the Pats cheesy defense.

and because Cynthia Freylund  :wub:  says KC and Saints have 28% chance to win SB while NE has 20% and she's almost always right. and she's picking KC to go to the SB. and she's mentioning that the Pats are incredibly weak at special teams and with the Cheetah returning kicks there's a good chance that he breaks a long return in this ( possible snow) game. She has Chiefs winning rather easily ( her words)  31-27, noting the front 7 of KC is vastly underrated, and the home crowd a BIG FACTOR here.

also , throughout the season, NE defense has proven time and again that its Achilles' heel is team speed..they're slower defensively. They couldn't keep up with Juju, AB, Cheetah, etc. they're going to give up more than a few big plays.offensively,  Gronk is finished, he's a player in name only. like Tiger was after he got a 7-iron through his windshield. like Tyson was after Buster knocked the snot out of him. Gronk is probably good for about 3-41 in this game. he's declined ,BIG TIME, this season.

Kelce is going to eat them alive.

oh, and if I'm KC I'm asking for a urine and blood sample from  Edelman just to be sure that he's NOT  back on Aunt Millies Tomato Sauce ,aka steroids. damn cheater. 

Patriots will win because Tom Brady has won the AFCCG before ... so that means he will win it again.

In fact, if you look at the numbers, NE has won lots of AFCCG games before. It's overwhelming. 

Also BB has won more playoff games than Andy Reid ... so that means NE will win THIS time.

KC will win because in seasons past, NE has lost in the playoffs when on the road. More than once. 

Also KC has the league MVP on their team. Everyone knows that the team with the league MVP always wins. 

When you look at history, predicting the results of this game is so obvious.

ok, soooo...this game is in KC with THAT crowd and THAT noise. do NOT discount the home team advantage in their first AFC Championship game ever. the place will be ROCKIN'. and Andy Reid just might throw caution to the wind  and call a balls-to-the-wall gameplan here..there's a reason BB looks as uncomfortable in press conferences  as a  long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs. like he's a guy afraid of heights who's about to ride the Cheetah at  Busch gardens tampa.pun intended.

Damien Williams playing like stud starting RB now. Two 100 yard games in past 3 outings. 5.1 ypc avg on the season.Kareem Hunt forgotten.

Houston is back.

Since week 6 game, Mahomes has locked down the MVP.. 

like sands through the hourglass, they still can't stop the Cheetah. 

NE losses came at the hands of non-playoff teams Lions, Titans, Pitt, Fins, Jax, while Chiefs losses came at the hands of playoff teams, including NE @ foxboro - road game in NE and tied it late, put 40 on the Pats cheesy defense.

and because Cynthia Freylund  :wub:  says KC and Saints have 28% chance to win SB while NE has 20% and she's almost always right. and she's picking KC to go to the SB. and she's mentioning that the Pats are incredibly weak at special teams and with the Cheetah returning kicks there's a good chance that he breaks a long return in this ( possible snow) game. She has Chiefs winning rather easily ( her words)  31-27, noting the front 7 of KC is vastly underrated, and the home crowd a BIG FACTOR here.

also , throughout the season, NE defense has proven time and again that its Achilles' heel is team speed..they're slower defensively. They couldn't keep up with Juju, AB, Cheetah, etc. they're going to give up more than a few big plays.offensively,  Gronk is finished, he's a player in name only. like Tiger was after he got a 7-iron through his windshield. like Tyson was after Buster knocked the snot out of him. Gronk is probably good for about 3-41 in this game. he's declined ,BIG TIME, this season.

Kelce is going to eat them alive.

oh, and if I'm KC I'm asking for a urine and blood sample from  Edelman just to be sure that he's NOT  back on Aunt Millies Tomato Sauce ,aka steroids. damn cheater. 
Just like Kelce ate them alive earlier in the season, right?

Also.. basing your opinions off of what Cynthia Freylund think... :lol:  

Gronk has been a great blocker this season, and helped the run game in a big way despite his low production. and don't be surprised if he has a big game against the corpse of Eric Berry.

When did AB and JuJu have big games against them this season? They lost obviously but that was more on the offense. Steelers only put up 17pts and JC Jackson locked down JuJu, he only had 40yds and AB only had 49yds. 

Looks like temp will be close to 30 rather than 0 and weather will not be a factor. Much as I feel this prbly works against NE I think it makes for a better more enjoyable game. Bring it on :boxing:

Got tickets for tomorrow way up in the nosebleeds. I have a really bad feeling about this, but I’m just gonna be loud as hell and hope for the best. Would be pretty magical to see KC finally make it back to the super bowl.

They're replaying pats chiefs on nfl network right now, perfect treadmill tv and now the kids asleep here's what i'm seeing. 

The first half was all Patriots. 5 drives for each team.  3 touchdowns, a field goal and a turnover on downs for the Patriots compared to 3 field goals and two interceptions for the chiefs 

On offense the Patriots went big with develin and a lot of gronk staying in to block (and to be honest gronk wasn't that impressive blocking). It was a lot of long ball control drives and just wearing down the defense.  

The chiefs were picking up yardage in huge gulps between the 20s and the Patriots really had no answer - they had everyone standing up before the snap and were just hoping to get a turnover by confusing mahomes (it worked once when he didn't see hightower underneath) and they kept things in front of them until they inevitably got in the red zone. Then they played things a lot tighter, jamming kelce to take him off his spots and using the back of the end zone to take hills speed out of the equation. Kind of an exaggerated version of their bend but don't break defense - they gave up so many big plays especially around the edges to hunt between the 20s, almost like they wanted the chiefs to trade field goals for touchdowns.  And they went into the locker room leading 24-9 after getting a red zone interception, their second turnover of the game. 

But then the chiefs struck back. First drive of the second half was a long pass to hunt on 3rd and 2 and he turned on the jets for the touchdown. Now it's a one possession game, 24-16. 

Patriots go back to a run heavy attack and get another nice ball control drive but the chiefs just started feeding hill.  Short slant, pitching it to him as a running back, and for the most part the pats contained it, swapping field goals

But the Patriots - even leading by 8 at the end of the third - just started firing deep and missed. And when brady got sacked and fumbled it was a short field gift.  Two of the next 4 passes went to hill, one incomplete and one for a touchdown, and he was open on another.  

(This is where reid decided to go for 1 and leave it at 27-26. I still think that was terrible.  If the Patriots score a touchdown, they can go for 2, and either lead by 7 or 9. If the chiefs didn't go for 2 here, they're never going for 2 if they trail by 7, so it's a free roll for a chance to go up two possessions.)

I think people remember this as being the game where hill went off, but with 2 minutes left in the third quarter, he had like 40 total yards and no touchdowns.  When with the score there it was like 60 yards and a touchdown.  

So now the Patriots get the ball back leading by one at basically the start of the 4th quarter and they are running successfully. Cannon gets knocked out of the game but they keep running it and throwing it to white almost exclusively. They quickly cross mid field and get to the outside of the red zone but brady gets pressured on a third and long and throws an awkward incompletion to white headed towards the end zone.  They take the field goal and lead by 4 with about ten minutes left. 

But then the chiefs take the kickoff at the front of the end zone and return it 97 yards to the Patriots 3. 3 plays later hill catches a 3 yard touchdown on a little comeback on an improvised play.  And now the chiefs lead by 3 with 9 minutes left.

So now brady goes back to work,  still using up a lot of clock inside 8 minutes left, and boom a bomb to Hogan for 42 yards gets them to the 24, another pass to Hogan to the 5, and 3 plays later brady runs it 5 yards into the end zone while the rookie speaks made a crazy mistake, having brady sacked but letting go because he thought brady threw it.  Pats lead by 4 with about 5 minutes left to play and all the pressure is on the chiefs. 

Three quick stops by the pats and it's 4 minutes left in the game, 4th and 7 and the chiefs punt. 

And that was the first punt of the night. 

And now gronk with a 42 yard catch and it sure looks like this is going to be the dagger.  But the chiefs get a stop and the pats take the field goal to lead by 7 with 3 minutes left. 

That lasted 12 seconds.  First down, play action fake and 75 yard pass to hill for a touchdown.  Game is tied at 40 just inside 3 minutes. 

So now the Patriots drive with 3 minutes left and after a first down brady hits gronk for another 40 yard bomb and the field goal is academic.  43-40.

as a Patriots and Tom Brady fan I have to believe with a strong running game they can win this

KC is very good, Mahomes is the best full first year starting QB ever, their offensive is so so good

either team can win - I'm hoping its Patriots but who knows

So here's what i see.

First, the Patriots scored on every drive but two - a turnover on downs on 4th and 3 on the first drive (!) and a sack fumble in the third quarter.  They had the benefit of an interception at the 25 which was returned to the 4, but otherwise had long drives again and again the entire game. 

The chiefs did not.  They had 3 field goals and two interceptions in the first half and they had the only punt of the entire game - which is noteworthy because it was late in the 4th quarter.  

The chiefs did not drive on the Patriots.  They got big plays.  I'm not diminishing that - but they scored 4 touchdowns and 4 field goals. The 4 touchdowns came on a 70 yard pass to hunt, a 75 yard pass to hill, a turnover inside the 20 and a 97 yard kickoff return.  They didn't have a single touchdown "drive" in the classic sense.

That's a double edged sword.  

On the one hand, the chiefs should be better this time around.  They lost hunt but add some other players including berry. The Patriots didn't get much from gordon but he obviously won't be playing.  The game will be in kc instead of new England, so the pats may get some false starts due to the noise plus some home town calls.  So they may find some drives stalling after a false start penalty puts them in third and long. 

On the other hand, the Patriots left some points on the field. Theycould have easily scored a touchdown on their final drive but basically kneeled down to kick the winning field goal as time expired.  The chiefs are explosive but they can't expect a 97 yard kickoff return and multiple 70 yard touchdowns every game. They need to sustain some drives and i just didn't see them doing that consistently.  If they can't, they'll need the big plays - or to get some defensive stops that simply didn't happen in their first meeting. 

I am nervous about the Patriots chances in this game, and i understand why the chiefs are favored.  But honestly after watching that game again i really think the Patriots should be favored.  That's not a slight on the chiefs, who had a better season and ger to play at home and are healthier now.  Iis just that the Patriots played that game a lot better than the final score suggests and really were in control for 90 percent of the game but gave up some very big plays to a very explosive team.  

I think tomorrow comes down to execution - and with what i saw in that game and all their history i'll favor the Patriots on execution.  But playing on the road certainly doesn't help with that. I think taking the pats and the points is the smart move, but i wouldn't bet the house. 

KC 30, Pats 27

Players that are interesting to me are Damian Williams, White, Gronk and Michel. I think if Pats want to win this game, Gronk really needs to come through, especially in the red zone.

Tom Brady in ANOTHER HUGE game , Patrick Mahomes in his FIRST HUGE game.

Bill Belichick has won how many HUGE games, how about Andy Reid?

Pats got this.

ZenoRazon said:
Tom Brady in ANOTHER HUGE game , Patrick Mahomes in his FIRST HUGE game.

Bill Belichick has won how many HUGE games, how about Andy Reid?

Pats got this.
As a along time Chiefs fan I would have to disagree with this being Mahomes FIRST HUGE game. The game last week against the Colts was pretty huge considering the Chiefs had lost their last 6 home playoff games. I’m not sure non Chiefs fans know the anxiety level that was created prior to kickoff last week.  Had that game gotten off to a start that favored the Colts in any way, that anxiety would have been palpable in that stadium.  Mahomes had pressure of the entire Chiefs Kingdom banking on him to be the one that changed the narrative.  HE was supposed to be THE DIFFERENCE. And its sad to say, but if he would have failed in his attempt, even it being his first attempt, at getting that monkey/gorilla off the Chiefs back it would have been a huge, huge blow to the entire organization and to the entire fan base.  I’ll be honest....considering this is really his first year....anything now is really gravy for me as a Chiefs fan.  That win last week was huge, no matter what happens today....let alone possibly in two weeks.

SeniorVBDStudent said:
Somewhere Matty Ice is weeping.
League MVP's (which we can Mahomes will be) do just fine in the conference playoffs this century; it's the Super Bowl they have trouble with.  9 times this century the team with the team with the league MVP has made it to the Super Bowl...those teams are 0-9. 

As a along time Chiefs fan I would have to disagree with this being Mahomes FIRST HUGE game. The game last week against the Colts was pretty huge considering the Chiefs had lost their last 6 home playoff games. I’m not sure non Chiefs fans know the anxiety level that was created prior to kickoff last week.  Had that game gotten off to a start that favored the Colts in any way, that anxiety would have been palpable in that stadium.  Mahomes had pressure of the entire Chiefs Kingdom banking on him to be the one that changed the narrative.  HE was supposed to be THE DIFFERENCE. And its sad to say, but if he would have failed in his attempt, even it being his first attempt, at getting that monkey/gorilla off the Chiefs back it would have been a huge, huge blow to the entire organization and to the entire fan base.  I’ll be honest....considering this is really his first year....anything now is really gravy for me as a Chiefs fan.  That win last week was huge, no matter what happens today....let alone possibly in two weeks.
I agree with this. That's the biggest game they've played. 

But here's reid/mahomes record in other "big" games this season. 

Week 1 against the chargers - is that a big game? I don't think anyone realized how big it would end up being at the time.  The chiefs were considered a good team that might take a step back with a new qb and the chargers were considered a perennial also-ran that couldn't get to the playoffs.  Chiefs win. 

Week 2 against the steelers - another kind of big game.  The loss of bell seemed huge at the time, and it seemed like the steelers d was just getting lit up non stop but now we know the offenses they faced early were just killing it.  Chiefs win. 

Week 6 in new England - loss. This was the first huge game of the season for either team because it seemed likely to decide home field. 

Week 11 in los angeles. The 10-1 rams beat the 10-1 chiefs in another huge game. Not only was it a measuring stick game, the Patriots were hanging around in the race for the 1 seed and the chargers in the race for the division.  

Week 14 vs the ravens - battle of two playoff teams with division and conference implications.  Win.

Week 15 vs chargers - another game with big implications.  Home loss against a division opponent. 

Week 16 at Seattle - if the chargers had won this could have decided the division.  They're lucky it didn't.  Back to back losses for the chiefs. 

Week 19 vs colts  - first playoff game for mahomes with the chance to host their first afccg ever.  Win. 

I'll leave it to the reader to decide whether those are "big" games

History will have no effect on Sunday.

Players will make plays  ... or they wont.

How about we focus on game strategy and what we should expect to see?

How will NE slow down T.Hill and Kelce? Which to double team? Both? Will Watkins have a big game then?

Will NE blitz often like they did vs. LAC, forcing Mahomes to get rid of the ball quick ... or will LB's be falling back into coverage and daring KC to run?

Assuming KC leaves 6 or 7 in the box to defend the run ... can KC make Brady hold the ball long enough for their pass rush to get home?

... or does Brady quick throw to Edeleman / White / Gronk ... death by paper cuts as they will do ... chewing clock and converting on 3rd and short all game.

Frigid cold ... I would expect several dropped passes and some fumbles. Ball is so dang slippery in this kind of weather.

Could even slip out of a QB's hand for a fumble / INT. Winner of the turnover battle going to the SB?
To me the way BB covers the Chiefs skill players is very interesting. The last time these 2 teams met BB had Gilmore shadow Watkins and shut him down, 2-18-0. Do we really think BB will use their best cover man on Watkins again knowing how Hill has burned them and is the one who can take the top off?

I think this comes down to two things, both of which fall more on NE. If they can run the ball effectively on offense and can tackle and not allow a ton of extra yards on defense, lots of good things should happen off of that. 

The offense will play keep away, the Chiefs D should start to wear down, play action will open up, and Brady won’t have to win the game himself or throw 50 passes. That also should minimize the pass rush and might open up some screens  

That also might get Mahomes to make a mistake or two or allow the defense to get a couple of stops. It also might lead to playing with better field position.

That being said, I am not so sure those will happen. Part of the reason NE has played poorly on the road is they committed some really dumb penalties. They had times where they would have had a first down in the red zone negated and 3rd and 20 at their own 30 instead. That’s 50 yards of field position lost in one play. 

NE made a number of uncharacteristic mistakes in Week 6.  Blown coverages. A 90 yard kickoff return allowed. A Brady strip sack when he had ten seconds to throw. Obviously their chances of winning go up exponentially if they can avoid similar situations. 

I still think this game is a toss up. I think the winner will be the defense on the field on the last possession that gets a stop in the last minute. So Brady or Mahomes gets a last chance down by 4 and comes up short. 

My guess is KC needs to go the length of the field with very little time left and Gilmore knocks down a 4th down pass in the end zone and the Pats win. Either way it could be a game of inches or a game where every second counts. 

To me the way BB covers the Chiefs skill players is very interesting. The last time these 2 teams met BB had Gilmore shadow Watkins and shut him down, 2-18-0. Do we really think BB will use their best cover man on Watkins again knowing how Hill has burned them and is the one who can take the top off?
Gilmore is better covering bigger, taller receivers and likely does not have the speed to cover Hill one on one. So he would need safety help anyway. 

I thnk they may try JC Jackson on Hill with Devin McCourty on Hill. Then they put Chung on Kelce. Not sure who they have Jason McCourty on. 

I think the lack of Hunt will make a big difference. He destroyed NE receiving out of the backfield the last two games. The Pats don’t have a LB able to cover Hunt. Not sure the Chiefs have another receiving option out of the backfield equal to Hunt (unless they stick Hill there on occasion).

Gilmore is better covering bigger, taller receivers and likely does not have the speed to cover Hill one on one. So he would need safety help anyway. 

I thnk they may try JC Jackson on Hill with Devin McCourty on Hill. Then they put Chung on Kelce. Not sure who they have Jason McCourty on. 

I think the lack of Hunt will make a big difference. He destroyed NE receiving out of the backfield the last two games. The Pats don’t have a LB able to cover Hunt. Not sure the Chiefs have another receiving option out of the backfield equal to Hunt (unless they stick Hill there on occasion).
Yeah makes sense but one way or the other I see BB with a different plan for Hill. Maybe Gilmore with some help, not 1 on 1?.

Clete Blakeman is the ref today. Literally anything can happen with that turd back there.

Pats fans don’t like him due to his responsibility on the Deflategate stuff, and Chiefs fans hate him because he called like 427 penalties against us in the Rams game earlier in the year.

This game is literally a toss up to me. The way the flags fly I guess will show us who the NFL wants in the Super Bowl.

Looking forward to how aggressive NEP defensive front will be. They got pressure on rivers readily by rushing only 4-5. 

Flushing Mahomes out of the pocket presents additional challenges. On key downs would love to see some looks that flush him into a containment “trap” so to speak. 

Going to be interesting... 

Clete Blakeman is the ref today. Literally anything can happen with that turd back there.

Pats fans don’t like him due to his responsibility on the Deflategate stuff, and Chiefs fans hate him because he called like 427 penalties against us in the Rams game earlier in the year.

This game is literally a toss up to me. The way the flags fly I guess will show us who the NFL wants in the Super Bowl.
Agree with @[icon].....the ref thing needs to stop....especially individually to one guy like Blekeman.....do people realize that it wasn’t Blekeman himself that threw all the flags in the Chiefs/Rams game....he just announces them....and that wasn’t even his “regular” crew....which takes even more heat off him....today will also be a mixed crew of the best of the best....these guys work really hard to get the opportunity to work games like this....or any NFL game for that matter.....the LAST thing they want to do is get graded out poorly....these guys get a graded and critiqued on EVERY play of every game.....even a regular season snoozer between the Jets and Bills or something....does it seem like there are too many flags sometimes....?...yes...and do they make mistakes....yes....but it is an honor and privilege for them to be selected and assigned games like this.....they would rather not throw a flag all day if they didn’t have too....they have a hard job with the speed of this game and overall, I think they do a pretty good job with what they are asked to do....and finally, one of the LAST things they will do is hold a grudge or try to screw a team...these guys have more integrity in their little finger than most of us do in our whole body....you have to in order to work your way up to the highest level and get the opportunity to work some of the biggest events on the planet.....if you are fake or have grudge issues, you will be weeded out quickly....there is a reason Blekeman and the rest of the guys on this crew got assigned this game....they graded out to be the best of the best.....does it mean they won’t make any mistakes....hell no....but they actually deserve a ton of respect for working hard and getting where they are.....uneducated fans want to think things like deflate gate or what happened in previous games have an affect on how these guys prepare for and call the next game....they are just doing there job....they may not  be perfect....I’m not perfect at my job....are any of you...?

Agree with @[icon].....the ref thing needs to stop....especially individually to one guy like Blekeman.....do people realize that it wasn’t Blekeman himself that threw all the flags in the Chiefs/Rams game....he just announces them....and that wasn’t even his “regular” crew....which takes even more heat off him....today will also be a mixed crew of the best of the best....these guys work really hard to get the opportunity to work games like this....or any NFL game for that matter.....the LAST thing they want to do is get graded out poorly....these guys get a graded and critiqued on EVERY play of every game.....even a regular season snoozer between the Jets and Bills or something....does it seem like there are too many flags sometimes....?...yes...and do they make mistakes....yes....but it is an honor and privilege for them to be selected and assigned games like this.....they would rather not throw a flag all day if they didn’t have too....they have a hard job with the speed of this game and overall, I think they do a pretty good job with what they are asked to do....and finally, one of the LAST things they will do is hold a grudge or try to screw a team...these guys have more integrity in their little finger than most of us do in our whole body....you have to in order to work your way up to the highest level and get the opportunity to work some of the biggest events on the planet.....if you are fake or have grudge issues, you will be weeded out quickly....there is a reason Blekeman and the rest of the guys on this crew got assigned this game....they graded out to be the best of the best.....does it mean they won’t make any mistakes....hell no....but they actually deserve a ton of respect for working hard and getting where they are.....uneducated fans want to think things like deflate gate or what happened in previous games have an affect on how these guys prepare for and call the next game....they are just doing there job....they may not  be perfect....I’m not perfect at my job....are any of you...?
Explain the Saints BS.

Users who are viewing this thread