What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***official*** all things Microsoft Xbox One (1 Viewer)

Halo 4 was just announced for the XBox 360 to be released (probably Sept) 2012. Unless Halo 4 becomes a "NEXTbox" launch title, I don't see a new XBox system until 2014.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sony confirms development of Playstation 4, hardware may be lighter

May 28, 2011

Sony has confirmed development of the Playstation 4 and says that development will be lighter than the investment in the Playstation 3.

Sony seems to be showing signs of life again. The PlayStation Network will be switched back on in Asia this weekend and now we're getting hints about a PlayStation 4 in the works. This comes as no surprise with the constant stream of Nintendo's Wii 2 rumors and the probability of a new Xbox — Sony has to compete.

According to Eurogamer, Sony VP and chief financial officer Masaru Kato had to explain to investors about a spike in the research and development budget.

"For the home equipment the PS3 still has a product life," Masaru Kato said during the conference call, "but this is a platform business, so for the future platform – when we'll be introducing what product I cannot discuss that – but our development work is already under way, so the costs are incurred there."

We already knew that Sony, along with Microsoft, was planning on milking as much out of the present consoles. We heard that we wouldn't see any thing new for a couple years, but that was because the companies' were supposedly developing magnificently advanced technology for the new consoles. Masaru Kato's may have confirmed development but according to Industry Gamers, the new system won't be packing anything big.

It might be the $170 million in lost revenue, or the rising costs in development but Sony won't be investing as much in the new console as they did with the PS3. It took a long while to bring Playstation 3 costs down from $599 thanks to the Blu-ray and the Cell processor; only recently is the company raking in its investment. The CFO says "It is no longer thinkable to have a huge initial financial investment like that of the PS3."

We're not sure if that means the PS4 won't have the power to compete with the upcoming Xbox or even Project Cafe. Hopefully we'll get a few more tidbits to go off of at E3.
My link

Halo 4 was just announced for the XBox 360 to be released (probably Sept) 2012. Unless Halo 4 becomes a "NEXTbox" launch title, I don't see a new XBox system until 2014.
:goodposting: An Xbox 720 announcement at E3 2012 could happen, but most likely the release would not be until Christmas 2013 or later.:dukenukemanyone?:

:goodposting: An Xbox 720 announcement at E3 2012 could happen, but most likely the release would not be until Christmas 2013 or later.:dukenukemanyone?:
Then again, Halo 4 makes perfect sense as a launch title.

May 28, 2011

Sony has confirmed development of the Playstation 4 and says that development will be lighter than the investment in the Playstation 3.

Sony seems to be showing signs of life again. The PlayStation Network will be switched back on in Asia this weekend and now we're getting hints about a PlayStation 4 in the works. This comes as no surprise with the constant stream of Nintendo's Wii 2 rumors and the probability of a new Xbox — Sony has to compete.

According to Eurogamer, Sony VP and chief financial officer Masaru Kato had to explain to investors about a spike in the research and development budget.

"For the home equipment the PS3 still has a product life," Masaru Kato said during the conference call, "but this is a platform business, so for the future platform – when we'll be introducing what product I cannot discuss that – but our development work is already under way, so the costs are incurred there."

We already knew that Sony, along with Microsoft, was planning on milking as much out of the present consoles. We heard that we wouldn't see any thing new for a couple years, but that was because the companies' were supposedly developing magnificently advanced technology for the new consoles. Masaru Kato's may have confirmed development but according to Industry Gamers, the new system won't be packing anything big.

It might be the $170 million in lost revenue, or the rising costs in development but Sony won't be investing as much in the new console as they did with the PS3. It took a long while to bring Playstation 3 costs down from $599 thanks to the Blu-ray and the Cell processor; only recently is the company raking in its investment. The CFO says "It is no longer thinkable to have a huge initial financial investment like that of the PS3."

We're not sure if that means the PS4 won't have the power to compete with the upcoming Xbox or even Project Cafe. Hopefully we'll get a few more tidbits to go off of at E3.
My link
Sony has been planning the PS4 for quite a while. I have friends working at AMD who have been working on the master SOC chip for the PS4 for quite a while now and they are in the validation stage.

I can't imagine it being easy to develop a video game for a system not yet created.
The hardware they'd be using (processor, video card, ect) almost certainly exists already. I don't know much about game development, but I imagine that as long as they have some reliable specs, they can build the game on emulators until they have functional console hardware.

May 28, 2011

My link
BuddyBall already hates the PS4.

You're right. It does. And with them stating it would be the first of a new Halo trilogy, I doubt they'd open the trilogy on a system that they're leaving for dead. That's why I either gave it a two year window between Halo 4 and new console release (possibly Halo 5 could be a launch title by then) or included the option that it moves to the "NEXTbox". Time will tell. It will be an interesting year for gaming.

I can't imagine it being easy to develop a video game for a system not yet created.
The hardware they'd be using (processor, video card, ect) almost certainly exists already. I don't know much about game development, but I imagine that as long as they have some reliable specs, they can build the game on emulators until they have functional console hardware.
yes, all the components of the PS4 exist, but they are being blended together into a super SOC ASIC right now so TLEF is correct in that emulators would be developed. In fact that is certainly how Sony's SW team is likely doing their own PS4 development before the real hardware is available. SW never waits until HW is ready else products would be extremely late. SW always gets going on some form simulator/emulator to keep the SW moving forward while waiting for the real hard ware to emerge.

You're right. It does. And with them stating it would be the first of a new Halo trilogy, I doubt they'd open the trilogy on a system that they're leaving for dead. That's why I either gave it a two year window between Halo 4 and new console release (possibly Halo 5 could be a launch title by then) or included the option that it moves to the "NEXTbox". Time will tell. It will be an interesting year for gaming.
There's nothing preventing them from releasing Halo 4 for the 360 and also releasing a new system.

There's nothing preventing them from releasing Halo 4 for the 360 and also releasing a new system.
Historically, that's never been a good idea. Of course, they could pull a Twilight Princess and make it available for both consoles. I'd like to say the new console would be backwards compatible anyway, but Microsoft doesn't have a good track record with BC.

Historically, that's never been a good idea. Of course, they could pull a Twilight Princess and make it available for both consoles. I'd like to say the new console would be backwards compatible anyway, but Microsoft doesn't have a good track record with BC.
They dropped Halo 2 on the original XBox in November 2004 and then released the 360 in November of 2005. It seems to have worked out so far.

Xbox 720 'likely' at E3 2012, Crytek on board

NewsPosted 14/06/2011 - 5:38pm GMT+1

TimeSplitters 4 in development for next Xbox and PlayStation.

crytek -

Microsoft is gearing up to announce the successor to the Xbox 360 at E3 2012, and Crytek is already developing a new TimeSplitters game for the next generation of consoles, VideoGamer.com can reveal.

Specifications for the new machine have not been finalised, but Crytek is using Microsoft's DirectX 11 as the current basis for next-generation development. Tessellation, multithreaded rendering, and compute shaders are the three headlining features for DirectX 11.

The Crysis 2 developer says that Microsoft will announce the existence of a new Xbox within the next 12 months, hinting that an E3 2012 reveal is likely. Crytek believes that Microsoft will announce and launch its new machine ahead of rival Sony, though the developer is also investing resources into next-generation PlayStation development.

The information was detailed to VideoGamer.com by a high-ranking industry source at Crytek, who stated that TimeSplitters 4 is currently being demonstrated internally, is being built with CryEngine 3, and was being shown privately in video form at E3 2011.

Crytek UK, who produced the other three games in the series as Free Radical, is still handling the development.

Both Microsoft and Crytek declined to comment.

The source reports that the graphics on TimeSplitters 4 are noticeably improved over current generation technology, with the DX11 tessellation effects allegedly having a huge impact on the visuals. Crytek believes that the game - and CryEngine 3 itself - will be seen as the cornerstone of next-generation development.

Crytek has invested heavily in DirectX 11 development primarily to focus on the new consoles, with the upcoming DX11 patch for the PC version of Crysis 2 being used internally as a benchmark of anticipated hardware trends.

As for the game itself, the new TimeSplitters is reported to focus on the series' branching paths and exploratory nature, with sandbox-style gameplay elements a big priority. The current goal is for levels to feature multiple routes that lead to the same overall conclusion.

Speculation about TimeSplitters 4 has been running since 2007. Since its initial announcement the game was even pegged to be a Wii-exclusive before languishing in development hell and being put on hiatus in 2009.

What does this mean for Halo 4, then, which was stated as an Xbox 360 game during its E3 2011 reveal?

Crytek has also recently announced that the CryEngine will support Nintendo's upcoming Wii U hardware. "Crytek's support for Wii U is definitely going to happen," said CEO Cevat Yerli.

Younger gamers might not be aware of the TimeSplitters series. 2005's TimeSplitters: Future Perfect was the last game in the franchise, and 2000's TimeSplitters was a well-received PS2 launch title, but the highlight of the series is undeniably 2002's TimeSplitters 2.

Crytek snapped up Free Radical in 2009 after the studio was forced into administration following the lacklustre critical and commercial performance of its PS3-exclusive shooter Haze. The Nottingham-based studio was rebranded as Crytek UK.

Crytek UK's last job was to handle the multiplayer portion of Crysis 2. "Whether it has enough mettle to compete in the long-term is another question - and one that will be tested over the coming months - but from this initial glance it certainly seems like there's enough in Crysis 2's multiplayer to at least tide people over until the autumn," I wrote in VideoGamer.com's 9/10 Crysis 2 review.
Crytek Says it has no 'XBox 720' and doesn't know what you're talking about
Crytek officially denied it has any "Xbox 720" or any kind of next-generation hardware from Microsoft, putting the kibosh on a rumor that, for the second time in as many months, said the 360's successor was coming soon.

The studio, alleged to be building another TimeSplitters with the unit, sent this statement to IGN:

Relating to the recent rumours, Crytek do not have any next generation hardware from Microsoft, nor do we know when Microsoft may announce future hardware or what that hardware will entail.

Crytek are working at pushing the boundaries of what current technology can bring, including our focus on DX11 which will be released shortly as an update for Crysis 2, and we believe this work, added to our estimations of what the new hardware will provide, set up CryENGINE as a next generation engine for all consoles.

Yeah, well, they didn't deny they were making another TimeSplitters!

In May, gossip went around that Electronic Arts was also in possession of said next-gen machine, something the company immediately denied in a statement. Industry sources have speculated that Microsoft and Sony are probably targeting 2014 for the release of their next consoles.
As I said previously, I don't see a new XBox system until 2014.

I'm not particularly ready for the next generation of consoles, but I'm sure we'll see them by the time the next election is over. This past generation brought a few massive steps up in performance (HD, wireless online play, blu ray in the case of the PS3), but I'm guessing the next generation will be basically the same stuff only with more raw power. If that leads to something in the $300-$400 range then I guess I'm okay with that, provided that it's backwards compatible. I'm skeptical that the last part will be there though.

Just dumped my Kinect and games on Craigslist this weekend to some naive housefrau who said "her kids are going to love it"...(for about a week).

I'm not particularly ready for the next generation of consoles, but I'm sure we'll see them by the time the next election is over. This past generation brought a few massive steps up in performance (HD, wireless online play, blu ray in the case of the PS3), but I'm guessing the next generation will be basically the same stuff only with more raw power. If that leads to something in the $300-$400 range then I guess I'm okay with that, provided that it's backwards compatible. I'm skeptical that the last part will be there though.
I agree. The tech is fine where it's at right now. All this will do is prolong the development cycles, and increase the risk and cost associated with development. I just want Halo 2 multiplayer back honestly.

'azgroover said:
Just dumped my Kinect and games on Craigslist this weekend to some naive housefrau who said "her kids are going to love it"...(for about a week).
I always thought that the "motion" gaming would be a fad. Thought it was cute for the Wii because it only cost $200. But sony and MS misread that one IMO. For all the units they will sell this year, they will be lucky to see half of that next year and years beyond. Plus, what games are people buying to play with their kinect or move? Nothing that you won't be bored with after a few days. Nintendo tried this already. The track and field pad, the "rock and roller", the power glove; there have been numerous peripherals that have been created to utilize our body's movement within the game and they have all sucked.

'azgroover said:
I always thought that the "motion" gaming would be a fad. Thought it was cute for the Wii because it only cost $200. But sony and MS misread that one IMO. For all the units they will sell this year, they will be lucky to see half of that next year and years beyond. Plus, what games are people buying to play with their kinect or move? Nothing that you won't be bored with after a few days. Nintendo tried this already. The track and field pad, the "rock and roller", the power glove; there have been numerous peripherals that have been created to utilize our body's movement within the game and they have all sucked.
I agree. Nintendo hit an untapped casual gaming market with the Wii. Sony and Microsoft were late to the casual game with their motion controls but the casual gamers have moved on from the Wii to their smart phones/tablets as their casual platform of choice.

Never underestimate the laziness of Americans to sit and play their games. If we want exercise damnit we'll go the fridge.

Never underestimate the laziness of Americans to sit and play their games. If we want exercise damnit we'll go the fridge.
This post has tons of merit. As soon as people figured out that you could play the Wii flinging your wrist instead of using full body movements, most gamers were playing the games on the couch anyway. You can't get away with that on Kinect. While that may be the point, we don't want that!

This post has tons of merit. As soon as people figured out that you could play the Wii flinging your wrist instead of using full body movements, most gamers were playing the games on the couch anyway. You can't get away with that on Kinect. While that may be the point, we don't want that!
There's a new rail shooter Child of Eden (based on Rez HD) that let's you control the game with Kinect and I assume it would work sitting down.

'RhymesMcJuice said:
'SlaX said:
'rascal said:
There's a new rail shooter Child of Eden (based on Rez HD) that let's you control the game with Kinect and I assume it would work sitting down.
Child of Eden doesn't require Kinect, but when playing it with Kinect, I believe it does need quite a bit of arm movement. But no, it doesn't need full body movement, that I know of. I'm not sure if it can be played while sitting. I wouldn't doubt it could. But this amount of movement just adds to the point. Wii Bowling doesn't require much body movements to play. Just a swing of the arm. But some players still flick the wrist instead to simulate the movement for the controller and still get the same action on screen. I personally don't in sports games. But in a game like Twilight Princess, I get tired of swinging the sword. I partly dread Skyward Sword because there will be tons more sword play. But I'm sure I'll also enjoy it just the same. I'll just have to play it in smaller increments. Miyamoto himself said it was quite a workout.

Gaming should not be work though. Gamers don't want to workout. They want to sit and lose their minds in a game. By the next gen systems, this motion thing will be gone.

Gaming should not be work though. Gamers don't want to workout. They want to sit and lose their minds in a game. By the next gen systems, this motion thing will be gone.
It won't be gone. There are going to be more uses for the motion and voice technology than just gaming and XBOX is trying to become your overall entertainment hub.

The technology is decent and has value,....they'll just need to figure out what game niche it belongs in.

It won't be gone. There are going to be more uses for the motion and voice technology than just gaming and XBOX is trying to become your overall entertainment hub.
But the casual fan is who they are targeting with this technology. What happens when the casual fan grows bored of it? They are left jumping to the next gimmick again.

EA Has The New Xbox

Develop reports that an unnamed EA studio received early builds of the successor to the Xbox 360 last month. The new system doesn't yet have a name or a case -- it's currently being stored inside a PC shell, but this is nothing unusual for console prototypes, according to Develop's "well-placed" source.

The source believed that Microsoft was gearing up for an announcement to rival Nintendo's reveal of its new console at E3. They believe that the new console will launch by the end of 2012, but an announcement in some form will show up around E3 time. The existence of the new hardware is given further credence by Microsoft's recent job postings for "Graphics Hardware Architect" and "Performance Engineer" positions in the Xbox Console Architecture Group, which were seeking employees to be "responsible for defining and delivering next generation console architectures from conception through implementation."

No specifications for the new console are available at this time, but it will apparently feature "enhanced support" for Kinect.

But the casual fan is who they are targeting with this technology. What happens when the casual fan grows bored of it? They are left jumping to the next gimmick again.
I don't think Kinect is a gimmick even though it's tough to see that through the mostly childish way motion sensing has been used so far. It shouldn't be used on most games, but I think it can be used to push the limits of what can be done with gaming. I don't want to give up the controller as the main interface but IMO gaming has become a bit stale and I'm looking forward to seeing what can be done with it.

:thumbup:Kinect isnt going anywhere if for no other reason then it can be used to control netflix. God bless not needing a remote for that :popcorn:

Guess I'm an old timer when it comes to gaming then. I've seen the motion peripheral before and it failed. Sure its newer and fancier now but I don't see the Kinect or Motion or Wiimote being a substitute for actual gameplay. Right now its being forced into games for the sake of just having it. No one has found a way to integrate it in a realistic way that adds to the gameplay IMO. In some cases it makes the game worse (Twilight princess with a gamecube controller is better than with a wiimote IMO).

But maybe I'm the past and this is the future. Who knows.

Guess I'm an old timer when it comes to gaming then. I've seen the motion peripheral before and it failed. Sure its newer and fancier now but I don't see the Kinect or Motion or Wiimote being a substitute for actual gameplay. Right now its being forced into games for the sake of just having it. No one has found a way to integrate it in a realistic way that adds to the gameplay IMO. In some cases it makes the game worse (Twilight princess with a gamecube controller is better than with a wiimote IMO). But maybe I'm the past and this is the future. Who knows.
I'm with you 100% on this. So far, games that incorporate motion control tend to be dumbed-down from their controller-based peers. The occasional on-rails game might be fun to play as a diversion, but it's basically impossible to get the same depth of gameplay from something that's primarily based on motion control vs. thumbsticks and buttons.

Guess I'm an old timer when it comes to gaming then. I've seen the motion peripheral before and it failed. Sure its newer and fancier now but I don't see the Kinect or Motion or Wiimote being a substitute for actual gameplay. Right now its being forced into games for the sake of just having it. No one has found a way to integrate it in a realistic way that adds to the gameplay IMO. In some cases it makes the game worse (Twilight princess with a gamecube controller is better than with a wiimote IMO). But maybe I'm the past and this is the future. Who knows.
I'm with you 100% on this. So far, games that incorporate motion control tend to be dumbed-down from their controller-based peers. The occasional on-rails game might be fun to play as a diversion, but it's basically impossible to get the same depth of gameplay from something that's primarily based on motion control vs. thumbsticks and buttons.
Motion control simply doesn't yet have the accuracy needed to be more than a casual game device. Kinect also suffers from input lag, where you jump and there is a noticeable lag before the oncreen action is translated.

I think the Kinect has some limited motion gaming uses. I enjoy playing Wii sports games once in a while, and a fighting game that utilizes it well would be cool as a change of pace. The price point for the device is still pretty high, considering those games haven't really been released (at least yet) for the Xbox.

It also sounds like there are some upcoming games that use the Kinect's voice control features in cool ways, but I'm not clear why the Kinect is required for that and not just a microphone.

Motion controls, if done really really well, could be really awesome. One of the things that PC gamers always brag about over console gamers is the extreme accuracy and speed of a mouse on FPS games. A highly accurate and responsive motion controller would do exactly what a mouse does (only I'd argue better since you'd be pointing directly where you want to shoot/move).

It has always cracked me up a bit to hear the hardcore gamers bash the Wii because of its "gimmick" motion controller. Uh, what do you think a mouse is? A computer mouse is really just a more accurate, but also just 2 dimensional, motion controller. Add in an analog controller for controlling a FPS's character on screen versus a digital control of a keyboard, and a motion console controller has the potential to be a MUCH better controller for FPS gaming than the mouse and keyboard.

Motion controls, if done really really well, could be really awesome. One of the things that PC gamers always brag about over console gamers is the extreme accuracy and speed of a mouse on FPS games. A highly accurate and responsive motion controller would do exactly what a mouse does (only I'd argue better since you'd be pointing directly where you want to shoot/move). It has always cracked me up a bit to hear the hardcore gamers bash the Wii because of its "gimmick" motion controller. Uh, what do you think a mouse is? A computer mouse is really just a more accurate, but also just 2 dimensional, motion controller. Add in an analog controller for controlling a FPS's character on screen versus a digital control of a keyboard, and a motion console controller has the potential to be a MUCH better controller for FPS gaming than the mouse and keyboard.
Come on now. A mouse is much more precise than a motion controller and has a completely different interface. If you want to compare it to the many light guns that have been out for the past 20-25 years, then thats a fair comparison. The Wii mote has come leaps and bounds from those. Don't try to compare it to a mouse though. Its not the same thing.

I think motion controls could work too, but I still don't think we've seen the killer app for it yet though. I loved gaming while growing up, but I also loved sports too, whether it was basketball, wiffleball, etc. If you can combine competitive gaming with some physical activity that people could compete with friends online, I'd say there is potential for something cool. I'm not saying all gamers will adopt to a motion control game, I also don't think developers have scratched the surface on its potential either.

Motion controls, if done really really well, could be really awesome. One of the things that PC gamers always brag about over console gamers is the extreme accuracy and speed of a mouse on FPS games. A highly accurate and responsive motion controller would do exactly what a mouse does (only I'd argue better since you'd be pointing directly where you want to shoot/move). It has always cracked me up a bit to hear the hardcore gamers bash the Wii because of its "gimmick" motion controller. Uh, what do you think a mouse is? A computer mouse is really just a more accurate, but also just 2 dimensional, motion controller. Add in an analog controller for controlling a FPS's character on screen versus a digital control of a keyboard, and a motion console controller has the potential to be a MUCH better controller for FPS gaming than the mouse and keyboard.
Come on now. A mouse is much more precise than a motion controller and has a completely different interface. If you want to compare it to the many light guns that havebeen out for the past 20-25 years, then thats a fair comparison. The Wii mote has come leaps and bounds from those. Don't try to compare it to a mouse though. Its not the same thing.
A mouse is much more accurate now, but that doesn't mean that it always will be. Console motion controls could potentially catch up in the future.And while the technologies inside of a console motion controller and a mouse are different, they work on similar principles. Current console remotes still have a long way to go, but that doesn't mean they can't get there. And if they do get there, then it would make motion controllers much more than a gimmick.

Guess I'm an old timer when it comes to gaming then. I've seen the motion peripheral before and it failed. Sure its newer and fancier now but I don't see the Kinect or Motion or Wiimote being a substitute for actual gameplay. Right now its being forced into games for the sake of just having it. No one has found a way to integrate it in a realistic way that adds to the gameplay IMO. In some cases it makes the game worse (Twilight princess with a gamecube controller is better than with a wiimote IMO).

But maybe I'm the past and this is the future. Who knows.
:thumbup: Plus getting used to everything mirrored was a PITA. Was that just because they wanted link to be right handed with the Wiimote?

I think motion controls could work too, but I still don't think we've seen the killer app for it yet though. I loved gaming while growing up, but I also loved sports too, whether it was basketball, wiffleball, etc. If you can combine competitive gaming with some physical activity that people could compete with friends online, I'd say there is potential for something cool. I'm not saying all gamers will adopt to a motion control game, I also don't think developers have scratched the surface on its potential either.
I'm all for it if they can pull it off. I just don't think the technology is that advanced. Pretty standard motion sensor stuff thats been out in malls for about 8 or 9 years. Sure it will continue to advance but will the interest be there if they don't bring that killer app?

Come on now. A mouse is much more precise than a motion controller and has a completely different interface. If you want to compare it to the many light guns that havebeen out for the past 20-25 years, then thats a fair comparison. The Wii mote has come leaps and bounds from those. Don't try to compare it to a mouse though. Its not the same thing.
A mouse is much more accurate now, but that doesn't mean that it always will be. Console motion controls could potentially catch up in the future.And while the technologies inside of a console motion controller and a mouse are different, they work on similar principles. Current console remotes still have a long way to go, but that doesn't mean they can't get there. And if they do get there, then it would make motion controllers much more than a gimmick.
If they can get it to the point where I can sit on my couch and be able to point at what I want on the tv with the accuracy of a mouse, then I'll be impressed. I just don't see that happening though.

Rumor: Microsoft to Reveal Xbox 720 at CES 2012

We have already talked about a lot of the new Xbox and the name of Loop Xbox has already come twice. Today is another source who told Xboxygen some new details about the next Xbox. We will not disclose obviously not his name, but just know that it is near the middle of Microsoft.

Our source tells us that the project first began in 2005 and is divided into two parts: Part Infinity for all that hardware and software for the party Loop.

It also tells us that an announcement will be made at CES 2012. Not necessarily with a huge announcement of the first games already, but we should have some information on the new console, as some of its capabilities. CPU level, it would be a hexa-core with 2GB of DDR3, and our source also told us of a prototype dual-GPU AMD. We could not know the RAM.

Rumor: Microsoft to Reveal Xbox 720 at CES 2012

We have already talked about a lot of the new Xbox and the name of Loop Xbox has already come twice. Today is another source who told Xboxygen some new details about the next Xbox. We will not disclose obviously not his name, but just know that it is near the middle of Microsoft.

Our source tells us that the project first began in 2005 and is divided into two parts: Part Infinity for all that hardware and software for the party Loop.

It also tells us that an announcement will be made at CES 2012. Not necessarily with a huge announcement of the first games already, but we should have some information on the new console, as some of its capabilities. CPU level, it would be a hexa-core with 2GB of DDR3, and our source also told us of a prototype dual-GPU AMD. We could not know the RAM.
This reads like it was translated into English from some other language.ETA - :lmao: I just read the link. It's translated from French.

Xbox 720 Will Be Six Times as Powerful as Current Gen

Sources confirm fall 2013 release, detail graphics processing power.

by Scott Lowe

January 24, 2012

The next Xbox will ship to retailers in late October or early November of next year with six times the processing power of the Xbox 360, sources close to the project have told IGN.

Following initial reports from tech blogs Fudzilla and SemiAccurate, our sources have confirmed that mass production of the system's GPU will indeed begin by the end of 2012 but will not, however, be based on AMD's 7000 series Southern Islands GPU. Instead, the processor will be derived from the 6000 series, which was introduced last year. More specifically, it will be akin to the Radeon HD 6670, which offers support for DirectX11, multidisplay output, 3D and 1080p HD output. The chip currently has a market price of upwards of $79.99.

In real terms, the Xbox 720's raw graphics processing power is expected to be six times that of the Xbox 360 and will yield 20-percent greater performance than Nintendo's forthcoming console, the Wii U.

Developers are likely to receive development kits based on the system's final configuration in August. Projected pricing for the console was not provided.

Xbox 720 Will Be Six Times as Powerful as Current Gen

Sources confirm fall 2013 release, detail graphics processing power.

by Scott Lowe

January 24, 2012

The next Xbox will ship to retailers in late October or early November of next year with six times the processing power of the Xbox 360, sources close to the project have told IGN.

Following initial reports from tech blogs Fudzilla and SemiAccurate, our sources have confirmed that mass production of the system's GPU will indeed begin by the end of 2012 but will not, however, be based on AMD's 7000 series Southern Islands GPU. Instead, the processor will be derived from the 6000 series, which was introduced last year. More specifically, it will be akin to the Radeon HD 6670, which offers support for DirectX11, multidisplay output, 3D and 1080p HD output. The chip currently has a market price of upwards of $79.99.

In real terms, the Xbox 720's raw graphics processing power is expected to be six times that of the Xbox 360 and will yield 20-percent greater performance than Nintendo's forthcoming console, the Wii U.

Developers are likely to receive development kits based on the system's final configuration in August. Projected pricing for the console was not provided.
I heard a conversation about it on Geektime on the Howard Stern channels on Sirius radio. One of the things they mentioned is that the system will not allow you to play used games on it. I have no idea how they could do that, but i imagine it would be a deterrent for some people. it was a rumor of course, but it caught my ear when i heard them mention that.

'modogg said:
I heard a conversation about it on Geektime on the Howard Stern channels on Sirius radio. One of the things they mentioned is that the system will not allow you to play used games on it. I have no idea how they could do that, but i imagine it would be a deterrent for some people. it was a rumor of course, but it caught my ear when i heard them mention that.
I read about that and it's only a rumor at this point. Not saying it couldn't happen but there will a huge backlash unless they do something like cap the price of games at $30.

Love the 360, but the possible inability to play used games is a no-go for me. If this is true, I won't be getting a 720.

I thought it was widely believed that the 360 and PS3 were to have 10-year life cycles....a fact that's been rehashed over and over by execs at both companies. Is this wrong? Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding the meaning of life cycle in this case?
PS3 could do it with Blu-ray and its hardware, 360, not so much.
Why do you all keep bringing up blu ray?There won't even be physical media for the next iteration of systems. You can already dl full games through the systems and steam on pcs shows the business plan for success.

I thought it was widely believed that the 360 and PS3 were to have 10-year life cycles....a fact that's been rehashed over and over by execs at both companies. Is this wrong? Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding the meaning of life cycle in this case?
PS3 could do it with Blu-ray and its hardware, 360, not so much.
Why do you all keep bringing up blu ray?There won't even be physical media for the next iteration of systems. You can already dl full games through the systems and steam on pcs shows the business plan for success.
:goodposting: Pinning their hopes to the superiority of BLu-ray is a big part of why sony lost this console battle. Because of the blu-ray player, their system was the last and most expensive to launch. All Microsoft has to do is allow us to swap out aftermarket hard drives on their new system, and we'll be able to download and store as much game content as we want.

Users who are viewing this thread