What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Baltimore Ravens 2012/13 SB Champs Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Interesting you brng up the 2000 team like this - NFLN ran an hour on them last night and I was thinking how the 2000 Ravens D matches up against the 1985 Bears D.I'm too lazy to compare stats, so I'll just go with eyeball stuff....Both had Mike Tyson's "everyone's got a plan until they get hit" thing going for them. You could actually see that some opponents were afraid of them. I remember Kerry Collins just falling down when no one was near him after getting hit so hard, so often. And you could tell the Pats wanted to be anywhere but on that field against the Bears.I'd give the DL edge to the Bears, which is no knock on the Ravens as it was one of the best of all time.Of the 6 LBs, Lewis was the best and Sharper probably the worst (though still damned good). The Bears didn't really use their OLBs like the Ravens used Boulware, but I think Wilson & Marshall were better all-around. And of course, Singletary is an immortal. It's oh so close.....I could easily be swayed the other way, but I'm taking the Ravens; they were the best mini-unit on the field in both SBsI remember the Bears DBs weren't great cover guys. They didn't have to be, as the QB usually had .0001 nanoseconds to throw. Great in run support, though, and also at blitzing. The Ravens secondary "suffers" from some of the same things, but I think they were better in coverage. I'm gonna chicken out & call this a tie.Overall, if I had to take one of those Defenses for one season given the conditions they played under (teams not being familiar with the 46 in the Bears case), I think I'd take the Bears. They are the two best Ds I've seen in my adult lifetime (I was a teen during the Steel Curtain days, but their '76 D would be 3rd on my list), and by a pretty wide margin. Both would knock you the hell out. I remember one of the Giants saying that it seemed like there were 14 Ravens out there. And Tiki saying he's never seen holes close so fast. I doubt if Collins even remembers the game.If I remember any one play from that SB the longest, it would be Lewis chasing Tiki down from behind (tied for 2nd: Jermaine's kick return & Stokley's TD catch). You can see Barber get up with a "wtf?" look on his face.

So, what are y'all doing for the game? I'm going to Austin, TX to a FBG gathering. Cosjobs has a B&B that he's closing down for a weekend of food, drink, sports, and general debauchery. Leave Friday and return Monday p.m. I think I'm going to be the only Ravens fan there and I'm guessing most will be rooting for ther 9ers due to the Ray Backlash. Also: T_M, when's that Old Bay vodka coming out?

Great thought everyone. I find myself comparing this team to 2000 as well. Id also have to give the edge to the 2000 team. My son is 17 and I find myself having a tough time explaining to him just how dominant that 2000 defense was. What I usually say is that if that team went up by as much as 7 points I felt that the game was basically over. They were scary dominant.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys covered that fun little exercise way better than I could have. I'll only add that the 2000 Ravens defense was the best tackling unit I've ever watched, an underrated and hard to quantify skill. It seems like they didn't miss a tackle all year. No gimmicks, either, they just lined up in a pretty base defense, got off their blocks in the blink of an eye, pursued with speed and bad intent, and wrapped ballcarriers up on the first hit.

Another Baltimore FBG here and Raven fan.Regarding the 2000 team, they were just amazing to watch. Ray Lewis snatching the ball away from Eddie George will remain with me forever.Also, only allowed five rushing touchdowns all season, and only allowed a 2.7 yards per rush. That is crazy.I really liked last weeks game when Leach caught the pass and it seemed like he almost(he probably did) slow down just so he could hit the tackler. That guy loves to hit. :boxing:

Starting to get excited. Been devouring all the coverage across all channels. I have a feeling that ed reed is going to be able to fool kaepernick into a couple of mistakes. I also think flacco will be able to hit some deep shots on the niners secondary. Getting cautiously optimistic.

Starting to get excited. Been devouring all the coverage across all channels. I have a feeling that ed reed is going to be able to fool kaepernick into a couple of mistakes. I also think flacco will be able to hit some deep shots on the niners secondary. Getting cautiously optimistic.
I'll be doing nothing but watching all the channels and coverage this coming week especially the local stuff.Kaepernick is after all still a rookie and I'm hoping that Dean Pees and the D will come up with some stuff so that he makes those rookie mistakes.

I'll be doing nothing but watching all the channels and coverage this coming week especially the local stuff.Kaepernick is after all still a rookie and I'm hoping that Dean Pees and the D will come up with some stuff so that he makes those rookie mistakes.
Me, too. But that kid is damned good. He scares me to death.

Me, too. But that kid is damned good. He scares me to death.
Yeah, the Ravens D is very stout - if they can catch you. But they're way lacking in team speed, inside and outside. Who is the fastest guy on the D? Ellerbe? Maybe Jimmy Smith, if they can get him straightened out. But Kaepernick and Lamichael James both present big problems if they can get on the edge. You know Ed Reed isn't going to tackle anyone.While we wait forever for Sunday to roll around, here's a little trivia. I was shocked to realize that only 6 players have been on the Ravens roster longer than Flacco and Rice, who arrived just 5 years ago. Shows the amazing turnover in the NFL. Can you name them? Four are gimmes, one you might be able to reason out, and one would have slipped my mind altogether.
Ray Lewis (1996)Ed Reed (2002)Terrell Suggs (2003)Haloti Ngata (2006)Sam Koch (2006)Marshall Yanda (2007)

Been awful quiet in here. It's almost like we don't know how to handle unexpected success, or something.I have no feel for this game. Seems like it could go down to the wire, or be a blowout for either team. The man I've got my eye on is Kruger. I don't think too highly of him, despite his dominance in the Indy game. His only move seems to be sprint upfield past the RT at the snap and try to get around him with speed to pressure the QB. I don't have a lot of confidence in him playing disciplined, smart football and keeping Kaepernick in the pocket, or from getting around the edge. I also don't have a lot of confidence in his ability and strength to set the edge vs. SF's good O line and ground game.I also have my eye on Ed Reed. I think he will know SF's offense as well as Kaepernick does by gametime Sunday, and might be able to bait him into a key INT.UH, have a great time this weekend. You too, Roady. Will look forward to catching up after the big game.

I ain't got nothin' against them San Franciscos.Ditto, though. I have absolutely no feel for the way this game is shaping up. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see a horrible first half with lots of jitters and mistakes on both sides. And then both teams settle down after halftime and play good solid football.The Niners' strength and speed is very worrisome for a Ratbird defense that's been on the field a lot the past month. On the other hand, they had a laugher of a win in Week 16 and all the old guys got a nice rest in Week 17. Maybe that little bit of coasting right at the end of a long season helped them catch their breaths and gear up for a big energy expenditure in the last four games. They're awfully tough in the red zone (the Niners are pretty good offensively, though) and the special teams could be a big factor (positive this time). But if they let those tough 49er RBs pound them between the tackles, I don't think they'll win.

Nice article on Grantland.com about Ozzie's team-building abilities:

My link

I'm with both of you on handicapping the game. I don't have a friggin clue. Like roady, I don't dislike the 49ers so I'm fairly sanguine about it (so far). I'm also still in a little bit of shock that the Ravens are even there.

Can I be a Raven fan for this week? Long time Vikings fan but have rooted for Baltimore for years now as my second favorite. What say the official fans?

The '85 Bears defense gets a slight edge over any one of a few of the mid-70s Steelers teams for best D I've ever seen with my own eyes. The best Pittsburgh defense was probably '76, and they didn't even win the SB that year. In fact, I forget which team did win it. :whistle:The '00 Ravens defense is clearly third, but that's nothing to be ashamed of, given the competition. That Ravens defense also loses points for Siragusa being a fat cheater... plopping his full body weight on top of Rich Gannon in the AFCCG well after the whistle. :hot:

Just found out that Jim Harbaugh's son Jay is an assistant (strength) coach with the Ravens. Weird.You'd think he'd be with his dad's team instead of his uncle's team.

Just wanted to bop in here and wish you guys the best of luck. I hate the Ravens but the FBGs that are Raven fans are good people. :thumbup:

The '85 Bears defense gets a slight edge over any one of a few of the mid-70s Steelers teams for best D I've ever seen with my own eyes. The best Pittsburgh defense was probably '76, and they didn't even win the SB that year. In fact, I forget which team did win it. :whistle:The '00 Ravens defense is clearly third, but that's nothing to be ashamed of, given the competition. That Ravens defense also loses points for Siragusa being a fat cheater... plopping his full body weight on top of Rich Gannon in the AFCCG well after the whistle. :hot:
I watched that game from a sports bar in Timonium and when that play happened, we all went "Squishhhhhh."

My wife just cracked. We're watching the 11 p.m. news and the first 15 minutes of the broadcast is nothing but Super Bowl.She gets off the couch to go to bed, yelling “It’s the only story on the news, it’s on every page of the newspaper, it’s the only thing anyone is talking about. I am so sick of the Super Bowl!”43 HOURS TO KICKOFF!

I watched that game from a sports bar in Timonium and when that play happened, we all went "Squishhhhhh."
"I knew he was hurt when I heard him squeal"

That '76 team had everyone on offense hurt. Didn't the D pitch something like 5 shutouts? Amazing team.

Down in new orleans for the game. Gotta say you baltimore fans are out numbering the sf fans prob 10-1 (at least in the french quarter).Saw suggs walking down bourbon st last night with a huge entourage, whole street was singing whatever song that is you guys do. Cool fans

Down in new orleans for the game. Gotta say you baltimore fans are out numbering the sf fans prob 10-1 (at least in the french quarter).Saw suggs walking down bourbon st last night with a huge entourage, whole street was singing whatever song that is you guys do. Cool fans
:thumbup: Yeah, Baltimore doesn't get a chance to get out much. So when we do, it's a big deal. Have a great time!

Padonia Station? :banned:

:yes: :banned:

SI said that the 49er O-line has been totally healthy and very dominant all year. I know I'm repeating myself but if they get on a roll and start knocking the Ratbirds' front seven back on their heels, the home team is in a lot of trouble. Cheat inside to stop Gore and Company and the next thing you know Kruger is watching Kap run outside him for 30 yards.

SI said that the 49er O-line has been totally healthy and very dominant all year. I know I'm repeating myself but if they get on a roll and start knocking the Ratbirds' front seven back on their heels, the home team is in a lot of trouble. Cheat inside to stop Gore and Company and the next thing you know Kruger is watching Kap run outside him for 30 yards.
Kruger worries the hell out of me. I don't if he's disciplined or good enough to seal that edge. My guess is that Pees is gonna have Pollard cheat up to help with that.Jesus Christ - the Ravens are IN THE SUPER BOWL!

:goodposting: all the way around.Though I'm beginning to believe that the Ravens are going to play an extremely disciplined defensive game and force Kaepernick out of his comfort zone. My fear is that Kap's scrambling will turn outstanding defensive plays into a big play for the 49ers after he breaks out of the pocket for a big gain.But I think Ray and Reed will literally know the 49ers offense as well as Kaepernick does. I think he will have some surprises throwing the ball.Just going to chill out and remind myself what a great month it's been - win or lose - from a team that looked terrible down the stretch. They have an incredible will to win. I hope that's enough to carry their tired bodies across the finish line.

'roadkill1292 said:
'STBootleg said:
:yes: :banned:
I will be heading there for a couple of pre game drinks and to get a vibe for the town. :banned:

Good Lord, they hung on by their fingernails again and won the ####### Super Bowl. :eek: :banned:This should give hope to all the decent but not great teams out there -- sometimes you just gotta hang in there.

Downtown Baltimore is filled w/drunken revelers, people firing guns in the air - so, business as usual, despite Superbowl win.So drunk, happy, and wrung out. Can't believe. Congrats to Roady and UH, my excellent Ravens GBs.

so what do you think - Green Bay, New England or Pittsburgh?I'm talking about the Week 1 Thursday night game in Baltimore, of course! I think New England - with only two games for the Super Bowl champions on Fox, they won't want to give up one of them with the Packers.

We talked a little bit earlier about the Ratbirds having been through the wars the last five years, battling Brady, Manning and Roethlisberger in some epic tilts. They didn't win many of those games but it looked like they grew some hard bark by playing them and were much more prepared for the enormity of the situation than the Niners last night.Early on, anyway. After the blackout, the Niners realized that they were actually the more talented team (which almost every Ravens' playoff opponent could say this year) and really exposed Baltimore's lack of defensive speed. Good for them that they hung on at the end and I'm especially happy for Joe but they'll need to start addressing some of those shortcomings next year.I don't know what to do next. Should we invite a Patriots fan in here to teach us how to whine about not getting enough respect?

Wow. I need to quit being a sports fan - my heart just can't take it anymore.In a way, that was the perfect way for this Ravens season to end - nothing came easy for them, but they hung on.They need to hang #81's name in the ring of honor right now. He was magnificent the entire playoffs.How big an erection do you think Flacco's agent has today?

Users who are viewing this thread