What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Barack Obama FBG campaign headquarters *** (2 Viewers)

What if the Rs decide their nomination is set and throw their weight behind HRC?They have to fear Obama more than her right? They proved they can throw an election in exactly this way (see: WV).
I made this same point in another thread. Lots of open primaries coming up: Ohio, Virginia, Hawaii, Texas, Vermont, Wisconsin, Mississippi, etc. Once Huck drops out in a week or two, Republicans could really make a difference in a lot of these states if they decided to go out an vote.
They'd be taking a big risk, I can't imagine any Republican would want to give Hillary even a snowball's chance at the White House. I mean, she's literally the devil to the GOP, right?

What if the Rs decide their nomination is set and throw their weight behind HRC?They have to fear Obama more than her right? They proved they can throw an election in exactly this way (see: WV).
I made this same point in another thread. Lots of open primaries coming up: Ohio, Virginia, Hawaii, Texas, Vermont, Wisconsin, Mississippi, etc. Once Huck drops out in a week or two, Republicans could really make a difference in a lot of these states if they decided to go out an vote.
They'd be taking a big risk, I can't imagine any Republican would want to give Hillary even a snowball's chance at the White House. I mean, she's literally the devil to the GOP, right?
McCain's only chance is against Hillary . If Barack get the nod I think he'll roll over McCain. Whatever he has its magic , he resonates with people and even crosses over party lines.

I'm going to donate another $100 to Obama today.Who is going to match me??
I'll match you insofar as I'll donate too :hot:
I did another $50 yesterday, that got me to $100. Today, I'm getting my wife in for $25, as much to add another donor to the rolls as anything.
:drive:
No one is getting a dime from me as they already collect from me in terms of salary, healthcare, and pensions that most of us will never see. That said, I'll convince one person to go to the polls and vote Obama. It will be more effective than a 50-100 buck contribution anyway.

Obama on hiphop...great clip makes you respect the guy a lot regardless of politics.

im happy he didnt go the "ALL HIPHOP IS EVIL AND RUINING THE YOUTH" route

:unsure:

If Hillary is the choice of poor people as lhucks suggests,
I didn't suggest that, CNN did based on exit polling.
Horse hockey. I'd go find the quotes but it's not worth my time and doesn't matter to the premise of my post.
Oh boy...LINK

"From households that earn less than $50,000 a year, voters went for Clinton 51 percent to 45 percent over Obama, while he won among those who make $50,000 and over, 51 percent to 45 percent for Clinton."

CNN reported similar numbers.

If Hillary is the choice of poor people as lhucks suggests,
I didn't suggest that, CNN did based on exit polling.
Horse hockey. I'd go find the quotes but it's not worth my time and doesn't matter to the premise of my post.
Oh boy...LINK

"From households that earn less than $50,000 a year, voters went for Clinton 51 percent to 45 percent over Obama, while he won among those who make $50,000 and over, 51 percent to 45 percent for Clinton."

CNN reported similar numbers.
I thought it was actually quite a bit larger than that. That's not really much of a difference.

I thought it was actually quite a bit larger than that. That's not really much of a difference.
I believe that it is if you use a higher number, I believe CNN used a 100K number a few days ago with something like a 75/25 split, but I can't find an online article to substantiate that right now. The healthcare issue reels in the middle class and poor for Hillary which is why the 50K number is bad one for purposes of my asssertion...she's promising it to everyone.(which will never happen)Obama is getting the intellectuals(that aren't women)

Last edited by a moderator:
CNN analyst..."Hillary carried everybody who makes less than 50K per yearObama carried everybody who makes more than 50K per year" :unsure: Obama clearly dominating the intellectual vote...very frusterating...our votes should count twice as much damnit.
OK...so I lied about the bump.

McCain's only chance is against Hillary . If Barack get the nod I think he'll roll over McCain. Whatever he has its magic , he resonates with people and even crosses over party lines.
I agree. The question is will the hard core Republicans be willing to make the gamble. McCain is no lock to beat her, at best it's a 50-50 shot. I would think their hatred for Hillary is so intense many wouldn't want to risk her getting anywhere near the White House. Eliminating her in the primaries might be considered a small victory to many GOP'ers. :unsure:

I make less than 50k, and I'm voting for Obama. Bucking that trend.

I'm also old, female, and Latino, making me a truly exceptional Obama voter.

Correct.I listen in on the conservative talk show guys fairly often, and they want to stop Hillary NOW. They do not want her to have any chance at hell in getting into the White House.

I agree. The question is will the hard core Republicans be willing to make the gamble. McCain is no lock to beat her, at best it's a 50-50 shot. I would think their hatred for Hillary is so intense many wouldn't want to risk her getting anywhere near the White House. Eliminating her in the primaries might be considered a small victory to many GOP'ers. :shrug:
I don't think they will take that gamble or at least not go out of their way to do it. If you are a liberal trying to understand, try this for perspective...If George Bush was able to run again and was in a tight race for the R nomination, would you want him to win the primaries thinking he would be easy to beat or would even the thought of him again want you to chase him out ASAP? Thats basically the scenerio as the GOP sees it with Hillary.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/350591_gregoire09.html

Gregoire endorses Obama

By CHRIS McGANN

P-I CAPITOL CORRESPONDENT

OLYMPIA -- Gov. Chris Gregoire endorsed Sen. Barack Obama for the Democratic nomination for president Friday, the day before Washingtonians go to caucuses to make their voices heard in one of the closest races for the White House in recent memory.

Gregoire picked the Illinois senator over rival Hillary Clinton, saying either "would be a great president."

But Gregoire said "Barack Obama has a unique ability to reach across all the artificial divides and divisions to move our nation forward...we need a leader who will unite us. Barack Obama is that kind of leader."

Gregoire planned to join Obama in a major campaign rally at Seattle's KeyArena on Friday. Clinton also is in the state, making appearances in Tacoma and Spokane on Friday to follow up on her rally in Seattle Thursday night.

The endorsement might also appeal to voters that Gregoire will need in her own run for re-election this November. Republican Dino Rossi is hoping to oust Gregoire by appealing to the independent voters who have been among Obama's biggest supporters.

Gregoire said: "I was inspired to pursue a career in public service by John F. Kennedy. His presence heralded the arrival of a new generations to lead our nation. Like President Kennedy, Barack Obama is inspiring a new generation of young people to get involved. If elected, I believe he will lead us all -- young and old, 'blue and red' -- to create a positive change in our communities, this nation and the world."

====================

Washington caucuses tomorrow. Clinton has endorsements from both of Washington's Senators...both females. Gregoire's endorsement gotta help with the wimmen's, right? Clinton wanted it awful bad...

the inclusion of Fla and Michigan, but totally above board and by the popular vote.
Why are you against letting MI and FL's vote count? This sounds like voter disenfranchisement.
The DNC is not a government entity. It can't disenfranchise anyone.
That's actually not true. Back in the Civil Rights Era, the Democratic Party in the south tried to keep black people from voting in their primaries by using poll taxes and literacy tests, etc. There's a whole series of voting rights decisions saying this was unconstitutional.ETA: My handle on the facts wasn't actually that great here. Here's a small wikipedia entry that gives a little more info. In any case, the gist of it is correct -- political parties can't exclude people from voting for discriminatory reasons any more than the government can.

Good NYT article today on the mini-fundraising battle that has broken out post Super Tuesday. Clinton people trying to turn it into a positive story with series of likely defeats coming up, but end up being trumped by Obama in that as well:

February 8, 2008

Obama Outshines Clinton at Raising Funds

By PATRICK HEALY and JEFF ZELENY

Concerned that it could lose several primaries and caucuses through the rest of February, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton’s campaign sought to create an alternate storyline of success on Thursday by announcing that Mrs. Clinton had raised $7.5 million online so far this month.

That unusually high figure was quickly overshadowed by Senator Barack Obama’s announcement that he had raised the same amount in 36 hours since the 22-state contest on Tuesday, in addition to the $32 million that he raised in January.

Mrs. Clinton drew $13.5 million in January.

With Tuesday behind them, the rivals have turned some of their ferocity away from voters and toward their donors, seeking the clear-cut victory in fund-raising that neither could secure at the ballot box this week, when Mr. Obama won 13 states and Mrs. Clinton 9.

Mr. Obama’s fund-raising dominance, especially his announcement on Jan. 31 that he had raised $32 million, has sent jitters through Mrs. Clinton’s donor base. Some of her biggest donors grew even more concerned on Wednesday when her advisers said that she had lent the campaign $5 million of her own money and that some senior aides were working this month without salaries.

Several donors and senior aides said they were not aware of the loan until Wednesday.

Mrs. Clinton’s team mobilized Thursday to send reassuring messages to donors and supporters. The campaign first announced raising $4 million in 24 hours, then $6 million in 36 hours and then $7.5 million in total since Feb. 1.

Neither her nor Mr. Obama’s figures could be confirmed because fund-raising reports for this period will be made public in April.

“February is going to be by far our biggest month, by a huge amount,” Terry McAuliffe, Mrs. Clinton’s campaign chairman, said in a conference call on Thursday with 300 donors that the campaign allowed reporters to listen to.

“It’s going to allow us to do everything we needed to do,” Mr. McAuliffe added, noting that the campaign would begin advertisements next week in Ohio and Texas, which hold primaries on March 4 with hundreds of delegates at stake.

Mr. Obama, speaking to reporters, zeroed in on Mrs. Clinton’s loan and said that her decision not to disclose her income tax returns raised questions about the loan.

“I’ll just say that I’ve released my tax returns,” he said, responding to a question about tax returns. “That’s been a policy I’ve maintained consistently. I think the American people deserve to know where you get your income from.”

Mr. Obama stopped short of issuing a call for Mrs. Clinton and former President Bill Clinton to release their returns.

“I’m not going to get into the intricacies of their finances,” Mr. Obama told reporters as he flew to a rally in Nebraska. “That’s something that you’ll have to ask them.”

Nebraska holds nominating caucuses on Saturday.

Clinton campaign officials said she would release her returns if she won the nomination. The officials said there was enough information in her public Senate financial disclosures to assess her personal finances.

Her Senate forms do not list exact deductible expenses like interest or medical costs. The tax returns would show exact interest and dividends from investments, not just the ranges on the disclosure forms.

Mrs. Clinton has been an advocate for transparency in campaign finance, as has Mr. Obama.

For all the confidence expressed by the Clinton campaign, the onus remains on Mrs. Clinton to show fund-raising muscle, in view of her raising less and relying on the loan as well as a $10 million transfer last year from her Senate campaign account to her presidential account.

Advisers said the loan was made on Jan. 28 from Mrs. Clinton’s share of her personal funds that she has with Mr. Clinton. They said it was not a bank loan, nor was collateral needed to secure it. The advisers said no investments were liquidated to make the loan.

The loan was not disclosed widely until after the vote on Tuesday night, Clinton advisers said, for fear that the news might make Mrs. Clinton look like a fading candidate. Several donors said Wednesday that they were concerned that the campaign was essentially running on fumes, especially when they learned that some aides were working without pay. Shortly after midnight Wednesday, however, the Clinton team issued an e-mail message saying that it had raised $3 million in 24 hours. By daylight on Thursday, the advisers said the campaign was so successful that all aides would be paid and that Mrs. Clinton’s war chest seemed to be stabilizing.

The advisers used the conference call in part to focus attention on the Ohio and Texas primaries. The aides say Mrs. Clinton believes she has a better chance in those states than in many of the contests this month like Hawaii, Louisiana, Maryland, Virginia and Washington State.

“I think we’ll have some bumps in the road, some difficult states in the next week or two,” Mark Penn, the senior strategist of the campaign, told the donors.

He and Mr. McAuliffe emphasized the importance of the Ohio and Texas primaries.

Mr. Obama focused Wednesday on the next primaries and his fund-raising. The $32 million in January, aides said, came from 275,000 people who gave $100 or less. Ninety percent of the money came from online donations.

The disparity between his contributions and Mrs. Clinton’s, he said, demonstrate a gap in enthusiasm.

“I think there’s no doubt that she has not generated the kind of grass-roots enthusiasm that we have,” Mr. Obama said. “It’s not for lack of trying. She’s got a former president actively fund raising for her, as well as people like Terry McAuliffe. But what we’ve done is created this base where people send $25 checks, $50 checks on an ongoing basis.”

Kitty Bennett contributed reporting.
link

I don't like this garbage. All this talk of who raised how much. I hope it backfires - people look at those millions and figure their $20 won't make or break a candidate.

Also this stuff about disclosing tax returns. Hillary will just find a way to bait everyone into thinking she's hiding something and then just disclose that everyone else has egg on their face and once again come out looking like she was taking heavy fire all along but withstood it and see how strong she is and how dirty Obama is for the implication . . . .

:thumbdown:

Underdog status has a way of drawing out grass-roots style support and energy. Hillary has really put herself in an underdog role with the media although she really isn't. Kind of a nice spin on her part.

NorvilleBarnes said:
I don't like this garbage. All this talk of who raised how much. I hope it backfires - people look at those millions and figure their $20 won't make or break a candidate.Also this stuff about disclosing tax returns. Hillary will just find a way to bait everyone into thinking she's hiding something and then just disclose that everyone else has egg on their face and once again come out looking like she was taking heavy fire all along but withstood it and see how strong she is and how dirty Obama is for the implication . . . . :thumbdown:
I'm really not liking the sour turn you have made on this race, lately. Is there any one thing in particular that has caused you to lose hope?

Poppa said:
OLYMPIA -- Gov. Chris Gregoire endorsed Sen. Barack Obama for the Democratic nomination for president Friday, the day before Washingtonians go to caucuses to make their voices heard in one of the closest races for the White House in recent memory.
:thumbdown:

NorvilleBarnes said:
I don't like this garbage. All this talk of who raised how much. I hope it backfires - people look at those millions and figure their $20 won't make or break a candidate.Also this stuff about disclosing tax returns. Hillary will just find a way to bait everyone into thinking she's hiding something and then just disclose that everyone else has egg on their face and once again come out looking like she was taking heavy fire all along but withstood it and see how strong she is and how dirty Obama is for the implication . . . . :excited:
I'm really not liking the sour turn you have made on this race, lately. Is there any one thing in particular that has caused you to lose hope?
No I'm still the biggest Obama cheerleader - got the pom poms and skirt and everything. In fact, it's because I'm on his side that I'm critical when he goes off message. We can win without these kinds of political tacks.

NorvilleBarnes said:
I don't like this garbage. All this talk of who raised how much. I hope it backfires - people look at those millions and figure their $20 won't make or break a candidate.Also this stuff about disclosing tax returns. Hillary will just find a way to bait everyone into thinking she's hiding something and then just disclose that everyone else has egg on their face and once again come out looking like she was taking heavy fire all along but withstood it and see how strong she is and how dirty Obama is for the implication . . . . :bag:
No I'm still the biggest Obama cheerleader - got the pom poms and skirt and everything. In fact, it's because I'm on his side that I'm critical when he goes off message. We can win without these kinds of political tacks.
GotchaStill think he can win?

jonessed said:
Underdog status has a way of drawing out grass-roots style support and energy. Hillary has really put herself in an underdog role with the media although she really isn't. Kind of a nice spin on her part.
She's being portrayed as the co-frontrunner, which is a far cry from two months ago when she was considered the presumptive nominee by most.One thing I will say is that I think the general perception is that she may not win a primary or caucus in February, so if she does manage to sneak out a win in Virginia and/or Maine she'll be able to spin it as exceeding expectations even though she's going to get clobbered this month in terms of total states and delegates.

jonessed said:
She's being portrayed as the co-frontrunner, which is a far cry from two months ago when she was considered the presumptive nominee by most.One thing I will say is that I think the general perception is that she may not win a primary or caucus in February, so if she does manage to sneak out a win in Virginia and/or Maine she'll be able to spin it as exceeding expectations even though she's going to get clobbered this month in terms of total states and delegates.
I worrry about Ohio and Texas.

NorvilleBarnes said:
I don't like this garbage. All this talk of who raised how much. I hope it backfires - people look at those millions and figure their $20 won't make or break a candidate.Also this stuff about disclosing tax returns. Hillary will just find a way to bait everyone into thinking she's hiding something and then just disclose that everyone else has egg on their face and once again come out looking like she was taking heavy fire all along but withstood it and see how strong she is and how dirty Obama is for the implication . . . . :headbang:
I don't think this is a big deal. The Clintons are the ones trying to control the story, since the 5 million dollar loan looks extremely bad. Nothing wrong with the Obama camp pointing out that they took more money in, even with Hil's big money push.He was responding to a question on the tax issue, and mainly focused on his own issue of transparency in government. I thought he handled it well.

I worry MORE about all those super-delegates. Knowing (seeing) how the Clinton political machine works, I can see those super-delegates taking the national election away from Obama...even if he ends up with more delegates at the convention. That said, yes, Ohio and Texas are a bit worrisome as well. If Obama hasn't effectively pulled into a dead-heat with Clinton prior to those two states, he could be in trouble.

jonessed said:
I'm more immediately concerned with the February states, but I'd like to see a split of those two with Ohio being the more likely target. A February sweep (or near sweep) could go a long way towards setting that up.

I agree. Obama stands a very good chance of picking up the Chesapeake area states. He has the advantage in those states of a potentially very active black democratic constituency. It's fertile ground for him to till. I would be shocked if got Texas given the lack of success he's had with Latino dems. So that leaves a few states like OH, PA, WA and OR that are without a sizable minority presence. OH has a history of voting irregularities, so it's anyone's guess as to how that shapes out. PA, I think, goes with Hillary but WA/OR go with Obama. He'll get WI, NE and few other midwest states too.

I would be shocked if got Texas given the lack of success he's had with Latino dems.
Do you think the fact that he's black hurts him in Texas? Moreso than in other states?I agree he has no shot in Texas.

I would be shocked if got Texas given the lack of success he's had with Latino dems.
Do you think the fact that he's black hurts him in Texas? Moreso than in other states?I agree he has no shot in Texas.
I think the fact he's struggled to reach out to Latinos effectively hurts him in Texas. He's done a great job with other demographics - young voters, moderates, independents, african americans, etc - but consistently shown his inability to get latinos behind him. in other states he's been able to draw in and mobilize these other constituencies successfully. that's what has enabled him to keep it close in many states, if not outright win in others. if he comes of out Texas with the same kind of 40% split that he had in NY and CA then I'll be happy. He just needs to keep it close in OH and PA. Let the VA, MD, DC, and NC spread keep him ahead.

I worry MORE about all those super-delegates. Knowing (seeing) how the Clinton political machine works, I can see those super-delegates taking the national election away from Obama...even if he ends up with more delegates at the convention. That said, yes, Ohio and Texas are a bit worrisome as well. If Obama hasn't effectively pulled into a dead-heat with Clinton prior to those two states, he could be in trouble.
Like I said before , I'm not that worried...if he takes care of business and gets +100 delegates to her, they'll fall in line. Even if its a much narrower advantage, I think he'll be fine especially if he's still polling better than Clinton versus McCain. Also keep in mind while there's a lot of people in the party that are Clinton hacks, there's also a big part of the party that didn't benefit from their largesse who are quite eager to back a non-Clinton if given the chance. He just has to give them that chance.

Like I said before , I'm not that worried...if he takes care of business and gets +100 delegates to her, they'll fall in line. Even if its a much narrower advantage, I think he'll be fine especially if he's still polling better than Clinton versus McCain. Also keep in mind while there's a lot of people in the party that are Clinton hacks, there's also a big part of the party that didn't benefit from their largesse who are quite eager to back a non-Clinton if given the chance. He just has to give them that chance.
There are already some party strategists on record that if the super-delgates try to override the pledaged delegates that they will leave the party. I'm sure that's just posturing on their part, but I also don't think it would happen.If it does, I'm burning #### down. :shrug:

There are already some party strategists on record that if the super-delgates try to override the pledaged delegates that they will leave the party. I'm sure that's just posturing on their part, but I also don't think it would happen.If it does, I'm burning #### down.

:thumbup:
of course with the way Hillary tries to exploit every possible slight (just this week we have THE SECOND TEAR, I'M THE POOR/NOT REALLY PLOY, and today we have DAVID SHUSTER IS A BIGOT, WE'RE BOYCOTTING MSNBC PLOY), I wouldn't put it past her to try to go nuclear. It really is all about the Clinton's afterall.

Am I understanding this whole "superdelegate" thing correctly? What I'm hearing is that even after every state has awarded their delegates through primaries and whatnot, certain influential people can override the will of the American people with extra votes they receive? That can't be right, can it? :hot:

If so, it would seem to be extremely foolish of them to vote against the American people's wishes. I can't think of a quicker way I would go from an "undecided" to a McCain voter than to have Hillary "win" the nomination that way. And I would lose a lot of respect for the party as well.

Am I understanding this whole "superdelegate" thing correctly? What I'm hearing is that even after every state has awarded their delegates through primaries and whatnot, certain influential people can override the will of the American people with extra votes they receive? That can't be right, can it? :hot: If so, it would seem to be extremely foolish of them to vote against the American people's wishes. I can't think of a quicker way I would go from an "undecided" to a McCain voter than to have Hillary "win" the nomination that way. And I would lose a lot of respect for the party as well.
Your understanding is correct, and your response to that potential scenario is shared by many.It will not happen. You are not going to have a scenario where Obama has more pledged delegates, but superdelegates tip the balance in favor of Hillary. Either something will be worked out way in advance, or they will fall in line. It would be outright revolt, especially by blacks, which form a good percentage of the party's base.

There are already some party strategists on record that if the super-delgates try to override the pledaged delegates that they will leave the party. I'm sure that's just posturing on their part, but I also don't think it would happen.If it does, I'm burning #### down.

:yes:
:lmao: :thumbup: :thumbup:

If Obama wins more delegates and the Super Delegates deliver it to Hillary and she loses the general, it will be the end of the Democratic party as we know it.Those of you worrying about Texas and Ohio are worrying for good reason. He may have momentum, but IIRC he's far behind in those two states.

You guys should check out google and the innernet. Amazing stuff:

February 01, 2008Obama surging in new Texas poll, but it may not be enoughDemocratic presidential candidate Barack Obama is surging in Texas, but it still may not be enough to come out on top if the race goes to the March 4 primary, according to a new IVR poll.U.S. Sen. Hillary Clinton remains statistically about the same as where she was in January. She currently holds 48 percent support in the state.But Obama, also a U.S. senator, has surged from 28 percent support last month to 38 percent this month.Winning is not necessarily everything for presidential candidates in Texas because it is not a winner-take-all state. Both the Democrats and Republicans have systems for awarding national convention delegates based on a proportionate share of the vote.Pollster Ralph Bordie said Clinton still holds a large lead among Hispanics who are more than 60 years old, but Obama holds a big lead among Hispanics who are under age 40. Those in the middle give a sligth Clinton edge.

Users who are viewing this thread