What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

** OFFICIAL ** Cleveland Guardians thread - spring training (1 Viewer)

Disappointed in the game last night, but since I was hoping for .500, my expectations were exceeded.
That was a damn good season IMO
92 wins out of that lineup is outstanding.
Is this like uber statistical stuff talking or are you saying the lineup played way over their heads this year? Besides Boston and Detroit, they are pretty much like every other team, better in most categories.
They lacked a stopper in the rotation, walked a ton of batters and had a terrible closer. On the offensive side, the Indians got some nice seasons out of guys like Raburn and Gomes. But they didn't have a single guy who hit .300 and their OF is almost entirely lacking in power. Jason Kipnis is a very nice player but we won't know for a couple of years whether 2013 is an outlier or another step in his development.

They aren't like the 2012 Orioles who performed way over their Pythagorean numbers. Cleveland had a legitimate 90 win season. Like every team, they face some off-season decisions starting with Ubaldo. Francisco Lindor should be ready by this time next year. It would be nice to get something out of Bauer but he's starting to smell like a bust.

Eephus said:
They lacked a stopper in the rotation, walked a ton of batters and had a terrible closer. On the offensive side, the Indians got some nice seasons out of guys like Raburn and Gomes. But they didn't have a single guy who hit .300 and their OF is almost entirely lacking in power. Jason Kipnis is a very nice player but we won't know for a couple of years whether 2013 is an outlier or another step in his development.

They aren't like the 2012 Orioles who performed way over their Pythagorean numbers. Cleveland had a legitimate 90 win season. Like every team, they face some off-season decisions starting with Ubaldo. Francisco Lindor should be ready by this time next year. It would be nice to get something out of Bauer but he's starting to smell like a bust.
Pretty much spot on here. For a while, you didn't know if you were getting the good, no-hitter Ubaldo or Ubusto. I imagine Perez is a goner; hopefully they can retain Smith and get Pestano straighten around. It would be nice to see Lindor up but I'm guessing FWIW that it'll be 2015 before he's starting.

However, I am holding out hope for Bauer.

Eephus said:
Bobcat10 said:
Eephus said:
Doctor Detroit said:
Disappointed in the game last night, but since I was hoping for .500, my expectations were exceeded.
Is this like uber statistical stuff talking or are you saying the lineup played way over their heads this year? Besides Boston and Detroit, they are pretty much like every other team, better in most categories.

I'm not finding a legit 90 win season here regardless of what the Pythagorean W-L says

Nice of them to beat up on who they were supposed to

CHI: 17-2

HOU: 6-1

MIN: 13-6

but they were clowns against contenders.

BOS: 1-6

TBR: 2-4

DET: 4-15

TEX: 5-1

OAK: 5-2

ATL: 0-3

Legit 90 win teams can beat/hold their own against other 90 win teams

Last edited by a moderator:
Eephus said:
Bobcat10 said:
Eephus said:
Doctor Detroit said:

I'm not finding a legit 90 win season here regardless of what the Pythagorean W-L says

Fair enough but this phenomenon isn't unique to Cleveland.

Obviously, the strong finish makes their record look better--82-70 may be a more accurate measure of where the club is at. But it was a big turnaround and a nice year for some long suffering fans. They somehow managed to draw lower attendance than last year, so they're probably going to have to keep their payroll pretty low. If that's the case, they'll need to do a better job of minor league development to take the next step as a franchise.

CHI: 17-2

HOU: 6-1

MIN: 13-6

BOS: 1-6

TBR: 2-4

DET: 4-15

TEX: 5-1

OAK: 5-2

ATL: 0-3

That's a fair criticism. Obviously, if we could've won 7 games against the Tigers, we'd be playing Oakland who we would've matched up better against. If, but, candy, nuts, grandma, grandpa. :shrug:

Is Chief Wahoo being phased out? It sure seems like it. Thing is, when I did the One Day Experience in September, the hats they gave us to wear while playing were Chief Wahoo hats and not the block C.

I'm ambivalent about it; I mean I understand why and it makes sense. There's just so much nostalgia (read: lots of losing and having humiliating things happen to them) that I'm reluctant to part with the Chief. However, seeing the Chiefs getting practically no attention on this issue means that perhaps the Dolans see what Snyder is going through, and have quietly decided to back away from their own primary logo.

Meanwhile, the Blackhawks are sitting in the back of the room.... :whistle:

Is Chief Wahoo being phased out? It sure seems like it. Thing is, when I did the One Day Experience in September, the hats they gave us to wear while playing were Chief Wahoo hats and not the block C.

I'm ambivalent about it; I mean I understand why and it makes sense. There's just so much nostalgia (read: lots of losing and having humiliating things happen to them) that I'm reluctant to part with the Chief. However, seeing the Chiefs getting practically no attention on this issue means that perhaps the Dolans see what Snyder is going through, and have quietly decided to back away from their own primary logo.

Meanwhile, the Blackhawks are sitting in the back of the room.... :whistle:
I think all the debates are pretty lame. Need to go buy me something with Chief on it.

Have fun, Wade! Was out there last year...very nice.

Opening Day must be coming quickly. Drunk Drivin' Zack Reed is on the warpath.

http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/politics/2014/03/04/cleveland--councilman-calls-for-removing-wahoo-banners/6038833/

CLEVELAND -- Councilman Zack Reed thinks the city should be at the table in discussing the future of Chief Wahoo.

"Any time we see that logo, it's not a good thing," Reed said.

The banners around Progressive Field depicting the Tribe's star players include some with Chief Wahoo on their batting helmet or as a should patch on their jersey. Most have the "C" or "I" logos that the Indians are using more prominently.

Reed say the city must issue permits for banners over a sidewalk or right of way, and he believes that gives city leaders some leverage in the Wahoo debate.

He believes the Tribe should retire the chief.

"Native Americans believe it's offensive. That's all that really matters," he said.

Reed claims other council members share his views.

"I'd like it if the Indians would find a way to phase out the chief that is respectful to Native Americans and their loyal fans," Council President Kevin Kelley said.

Mayor Frank Jackson in the past has said if the chief is a problem for some people, it's a problem for him.

The Indians declined to comment for this story.

Okay Indian fans, question for you. What's the fastest Clint Frazier could arrive in the majors? Best case.

Probably shouldn't throw a weak fastball to a guy who feasts on fastballs. Might want to throw in some breaking stuff there Ax. Or at least pitch around him.

I keep thinking Salazar is going to turn the corner and become dominant at some point. Doesn't look like tonight is going to be that point.

The offense has been better lately but what has been and is going to hurt them down the road is atrocious fielding. They are terrible and many of their mistakes aren't even being scored as errors.

Meanwhile, Brantley should win a gold glove or gold arm if they had that. He is so damn accurate on his throws.

Users who are viewing this thread