What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (5 Viewers)

But hey, it probably wasn't the nearby virology lab that was playing fast and loose with SARS-like bat coronaviruses. It was probably that one racoon dog. Or so I've been told by a host of virologists who rely on NIH funding for their careers. When, oh when, will humanity finally be free of the scourge of racoon dogs?

I wrote a long pithy post and then accidentally deleted it. So I'll be brief here: The "raccoon dog" story had legs for about a month, then got more or less discredited after other researchers looked closely at the same data and did not corroborate the first study's findings.

And yes, old-line major media outlets did report on the March raccoon dog study getting kneecapped. The walkback wasn't swept under a rug (again, maybe social media failed to keep up).

Last edited:
Welp, I'm no longer immortal. After 3 and a half years of ducking the virus (even when my wife got it 2 years ago, I managed to not get it somehow), I brought home a raging case of Covid (as well as a sprained ankle) from my trip to Pittsburgh last week. Finally tested negative yesterday, but the past 10 days were ROUGH, and that Paxlovid metallic taste is really something awful.

I just want to feel normal again, but I think it's gonna be a while. 😠

Tested negative almost a week ago and still feel off. Not exactly Covid symptoms, but just periods where I feel kind of blah 2 or 3 times a day for 15-30 minutes. The rest of the time I feel completely normal.

Hoping I don't have the long Covid.

Tested negative almost a week ago and still feel off. Not exactly Covid symptoms, but just periods where I feel kind of blah 2 or 3 times a day for 15-30 minutes. The rest of the time I feel completely normal.

Spring 2021 I had the same concerns, I currently have no concerns. Hopefully you will be 100% soon.

I've been laid out since Sunday, this is the worst I've been sick in a very long time. I can't stay awake for **** and get winded just getting up to go to the bathroom :wall: I'm going to Vegas next Saturday for 4 days so I'm hoping this runs its course over the next 7 days and I'm able to enjoy it.

Tested positive yesterday morning. Placed a call to my doc and after a telehealth chat, got Paxlovid prescribed to me. 1st dose down by noon. I feel a little better but I'm tired and get exhausted doing little things like cleaning cat litter, taking trash out, going up stairs. I want to sleep but it is a restless sleep at best with constant wakeup. Headache and fever still around. No appetite at all.

The bitter metallic taste Paxlovid leaves in my mouth might be the worst of it, though. I'm chewing gum like Pete Carroll over here.

I've got tickets to the Deion show Saturday so I'm hoping I kick it by then!

ETA: triple vaxxed this is my first rodeo with Covid. Only one in my family to escape it until now.
Sucks GB and that Paxlovid taste is f'ing horrible, almost as bad getting Covid again.

Monday - Went to bed with teeth-chattering chills. Took Motrin around 2am. Woke up 330am drenched in sweat.
Tues - Tested positive that morning, fever, headache, fatigue. Telehealth visit with doctor's office. Got Paxlovid prescribed to me and first dose in by noon. Slept most of the day and night.
Wed - Still fever, no appetitive, exhausted. Sore throat came on during the night.
Thurs - Woke up, no fever, but sore throat and still tired. This was when I said *ENOUGH*. Got out of bed, took the dog to play 18 holes of disc golf in the sunny weather. Best decision I made. Even cracked a beer and took an edible. Felt hungry for the first time around 2pm.
Fri - Sore throat only. Played 18 with the dog, stayed outside most of the day, edible, beers, giant crawfish po'boy. By early evening I was back to 100%.
Sat - Woke up at 7am, no more sore throat. No nothing. On to Eugene for PRIME TIME game. Walked about 4-5 miles, no fatigue, no lingering anything, 100% GM strength.

That was my battle with Covid. Paxlovid absolutely helped turn the tide for me, but yes, this aftertaste is probably worse than some of the effects of Covid.

I got Covid in April of this year for the first time. Didn't really get super sick, and all in all, symptomatically, it wasn't any worse for me than any other garden variety cold. Except for one thing ... I kinda had a brain fog that hung on for 3-4 weeks following. Had a hard time concentrating at times just felt a little out of it, for lack of a better description. I few other people I know felt the same way. Just hang in there. Most likely it will pass.

Yeah, this whole thing is a mess. You are more likely to transmitt the virus if you have been vaccinated and less protected. The studies that are out show natural immunity is best.

Are folks getting the new booster? I’m on the fence. Got both shots, first booster, 2nd biavalent boister. I’m 50, overweight, and on 5 pills for blood pressure and cholesterol. Got Covid once too, in between boosters. First few days were rough, then was ok (did not take paxlovid). Got Bell’s palsy two months after my second booster.

Are folks getting the new booster? I’m on the fence. Got both shots, first booster, 2nd biavalent boister. I’m 50, overweight, and on 5 pills for blood pressure and cholesterol. Got Covid once too, in between boosters. First few days were rough, then was ok (did not take paxlovid). Got Bell’s palsy two months after my second booster.
Good luck brother. I hope whatever decision you make is the right one for you!

I got mine but I was partially motivated by wanting protection for an upcoming trip to Hawaii that had been previously cancelled twice due to covid.

I’ve heard rumblings that some professionals think it may not be worth it for some because the protection against getting it is fleeting and we already have the protection against severe disease from previous shots. Not sure how those cards fell.

51, healthy weight on no meds. I'm getting it as soon as possible.

I know like 8-10 people who had Covid recently and they all had it worse this time than prior infections.
My coworker just had it for 3rd time. She's fully Boosted and everything. She said it was really rough. The worst of the 3. Then she told me I should get Boosted. Yeah really helped in her case. She said the paxlovid really helped.

I got mine but I was partially motivated by wanting protection for an upcoming trip to Hawaii that had been previously cancelled twice due to covid.

I’ve heard rumblings that some professionals think it may not be worth it for some because the protection against getting it is fleeting and we already have the protection against severe disease from previous shots. Not sure how those cards fell.
Think about it this way....every time your body is exposed to foreign proteins, it strengthens your immune response. Your philosophy with the flu shot should extend to COVID vaccines.

I know like 8-10 people who had Covid recently and they all had it worse this time than prior infections.
My coworker just had it for 3rd time. She's fully Boosted and everything. She said it was really rough. The worst of the 3. Then she told me I should get Boosted. Yeah really helped in her case. She said the paxlovid really helped.
She got it after the booster they just released? How long after?

She got it after the booster they just released? How long after?
No, don't think she got new booster yet. I'm assuming last booster she got was last year's.

Welp, I'm no longer immortal. After 3 and a half years of ducking the virus (even when my wife got it 2 years ago, I managed to not get it somehow), I brought home a raging case of Covid (as well as a sprained ankle) from my trip to Pittsburgh last week. Finally tested negative yesterday, but the past 10 days were ROUGH, and that Paxlovid metallic taste is really something awful.

I just want to feel normal again, but I think it's gonna be a while. 😠
Do you think the sprained ankle was a result of Covid or of the vaccine?:fishing:

Feeling just about back to normal, and I've gained back 8 of the 10lbs I lost while I was sick. I was hoping to keep the weight off but whatever, I'm just glad it's over.

Last edited:
Why are folks taking paxlovid? I thought that was really reserved for high risk people? My friend’s wife took it last week, and now has a rebound case. My sister was the same a few months ago. Both normal healthy women. :shrug:

Why are folks taking paxlovid? I thought that was really reserved for high risk people? My friend’s wife took it last week, and now has a rebound case. My sister was the same a few months ago. Both normal healthy women. :shrug:
My bout didn't last long enough to get to the doctor to get a prescription.

I took it because I wanted to reduce the amount time that I felt like crap. It crushed COVID immediately, and I didn't have a rebound. 53 years old, zero comorbidities.

It isn't in short supply, so what's the issue?

I asked my doc about it when I got it last January. She said I was in that in-between phase (50, no comorbidities) where I could take it but didn't need to. I opted not to and it ended up being a very mild case

Because COVID symptoms suck *** and Paxlovid makes them go away faster?

Yes, there is the chance of a rebound, but I'd take two relatively short mild cases over one that really kicks my ***.

Curious for those who have been vaccinated and then gotten COVID. When you got vaccinated, how "tough" was it on you? Then, when you got COVID, was it better/worse/about the same as when you got vaccinated? Vaccines for me were a problem (have the first three). I was laid up 2-3 days per booster. When I finally got COVID after 3.5 years, I was out of pocket for a day maybe a day and a half and the fever didn't last nearly as long...it was the sheer volume of crap in my head that was the hardest part which I didn't experience with vaccinations.

Planning to get the booster in the next few weeks, but would prefer to branch out from Moderna with the thought that it might offer some kind of extra protection. Pfizer is readily available around me, but I am intrigued about Novavax from a YLE email and can't find it locally.

Anyone know the status?

Curious for those who have been vaccinated and then gotten COVID. When you got vaccinated, how "tough" was it on you? Then, when you got COVID, was it better/worse/about the same as when you got vaccinated? Vaccines for me were a problem (have the first three). I was laid up 2-3 days per booster. When I finally got COVID after 3.5 years, I was out of pocket for a day maybe a day and a half and the fever didn't last nearly as long...it was the sheer volume of crap in my head that was the hardest part which I didn't experience with vaccinations.
Vaccine and boosters were nothing for me (slight soreness at injection sites). When I got COVID, it was pretty mild. No fever and just a scratchy throat mostly. I would say symptoms lasted about 3 days and it wasn’t half as annoying as some stubborn head colds I’ve previously had. This was last year so I haven’t experienced the new strain yet. I skipped one booster bc it didn’t seem worth it, but have received the latest booster.

My second vaccine dose made me fairly sick. Like a pretty solid cold for maybe 24 hours. That was the only dose that I had a significant reaction to.

When I had covid this spring, it was nothing. I only tested myself on a lark because we had some tests laying around. I was mildly sick for a couple of days and then felt completely fine through most of my quarantine. I think my vaccine symptoms were actually more severe than my covid symptoms, but covid lasted a few days longer and neither was any big deal. If the vaccine was responsible for turning covid into something akin to the common cold, I absolutely consider that a win.

Curious for those who have been vaccinated and then gotten COVID. When you got vaccinated, how "tough" was it on you? Then, when you got COVID, was it better/worse/about the same as when you got vaccinated?

When you got vaccinated, how "tough" was it on you? Not bad -- injection-site soreness and general soreness of the deltoid for about a day and change (still present on day 2, but much abated). A wave of fatigue hits me after every COVID vaccination (I've had five to date), but that specific reaction has always been delayed by almost a full day after the vaccination. So I'd get a shot, say, Wednesday afternoon. I'd have the deltoid soreness, but otherwise be fine until about mid-day Thursday. By then, I needed to sleep. I'd go lay down, get up after a few hours, have dinner, watch TV, and then go to bed early. By Friday morning, I'd feel fine and ready to resume life -- deltoid soreness gone and fatigue gone.

Then, when you got COVID, was it better/worse/about the same as when you got vaccinated? COVID lasted roughly a week -- much longer than the vaccine reaction -- and had much more annoying symptoms (congestion, coughing, post-nasal drip, fatigue). My COVID symptoms, FWIW, were pretty squarely seated in my sinus and nasal passages. I didn't have chest congestion -- whatever I was coughing up was coming from nasal drip.

Vaccine and boosters were nothing for me (slight soreness at injection sites). When I got COVID, it was pretty mild. No fever and just a scratchy throat mostly. I would say symptoms lasted about 3 days and it wasn’t half as annoying as some stubborn head colds I’ve previously had. This was last year so I haven’t experienced the new strain yet. I skipped one booster bc it didn’t seem worth it, but have received the latest booster.

Precisely the same. 3 vaccinations, zero side effects on any of them other than some funky swelling under the armpit of where I got the shot, which didn't last long. My timeline with Covid is in this thread. Like Osaurus said, it wasn't all that bad overall, though the first couple days were sucky. But I'd rather have that than the flu or the norovirus, which I also had this year. That one sucks way worse.

I had the Pfizer version, plus two Pfizer boosters. None really had much effect on me. The first left me with a sore shoulder for a couple of days. With the two boosters, I had zero side effects.

I got Covid for the first time in April, about six months after my last booster. I started to feel "off" on Saturday, and woke up Sunday and knew I had something. Later that day I had a positive covid test. I spend the next five days at home, but by Thursday/Friday I felt mostly normal. Honestly, I've had colds that were much worse. No fever, no sore throat. Mainly I had sinus congestion and a cough from draining sinuses. My chest and lungs were fine. Like everyone else, I have no real idea if it would have been worse without the vax, but as minor as it was for me, I'm going to keep getting boosters if available.

Edit ... I did have sort of a brain fog for a couple weeks following. Probably covid related, or I could have been hyper-sensitive about how dumb I really am.

Edit ... I did have sort of a brain fog for a couple weeks following.
Anecdotally: From the people I've known who have had COVID and are ~40 or over, "brain fog", "hard to concentrate", "too tired to think sometimes" and similar have been very common complaints after getting over the respiratory symptom. The women that owns/runs our company was reporting concentration problems a yeah and half after her COVID infection (pre-vaccine) -- she's in her late 50s, but lives in the gym (and looks it).

Covid was much worse for me than both shots & booster.

My reaction to each vaccine shot was the same. 24 hours, mild soreness and malaise, no fever or other cold symptoms.

My first and only COVID infection happened 2 months ago. It was worse than the vaccine. I had fever of between 100 and 101 degrees. Tylenol would knock down the fever for a while. I had nothing going on in my lungs, but considerable sinus activity. Energy level down a bit but not crippling. I pulled the Paxlovid rip cord at 48 hours because I was tired of dealing with it, and boy did it work (or I just happened to fight off the VID right around then). Kind of wish I had fought it for another day, but that is water under the bridge.

So far, looks like I'm in the minority where the vaccines impacted me more than the virus itself...don't know what that means (if anything) but it's interesting.

I took it 4 days in cuz I didn't know I had Covid til then, and as bad as I felt, I was willing to do anything to feel better or shorten the symptoms. I have no idea if it helped, but I didn't test positive til 6 days later, which was last Saturday. Yesterday was the first day I felt normal with no after effects.

Curious for those who have been vaccinated and then gotten COVID. When you got vaccinated, how "tough" was it on you? Then, when you got COVID, was it better/worse/about the same as when you got vaccinated?
I only got the first vaccine (J&J) a year and a half ago because I was traveling and had to have proof. I haven't got any boosters. The vaccine knocked me down for about 24 hours. Got Covid recently and it was much worse and lasted 10 days.

So far, looks like I'm in the minority where the vaccines impacted me more than the virus itself...don't know what that means (if anything) but it's interesting.
My wife hasn't had a case of COVID yet, but the vaccine just tears her up. Basically the same as what you described. Down for the count for 3 days. Very painful muscles and joints, bad headache, nausea (due to the pain). She has rheumatoid arthritis, which we suspect is the culprit.

So far she has only done Pfizer. I wouldn't blame her if she never took another MRNA COVID shot. I have spoken to her about considering Novavax since it is supposed to result in milder reactions.

My wife hasn't had a case of COVID yet, but the vaccine just tears her up. Basically the same as what you described. Down for the count for 3 days. Very painful muscles and joints, bad headache, nausea (due to the pain). She has rheumatoid arthritis, which we suspect is the culprit.

So far she has only done Pfizer. I wouldn't blame her if she never took another MRNA COVID shot. I have spoken to her about considering Novavax since it is supposed to result in milder reactions.
yikes...yeah, I had a fever and was tired. I didn't have terrible muscle issues or anything. For one of the shots, I had a REALLY bad headache for a day...like what I'd imagine a migraine to be like.

Users who are viewing this thread