What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (5 Viewers)

Is there any other country recommending boosters for healthy 6 month olds still?
Good question, actually was surprised to find out the answer is no

Science is uniquely politicized in the US. It isn't like that in other countries, at least not yet -- it only seems that way because the US scientific community is the largest and most visible part of "science."

It probably doesn't matter very much either way whether you give your 6 month-old a covid vaccine. They're at no real risk from covid, but their odds of suffering an adverse side effect from the vaccine are also very low. We're trading off epsilon-level risks here and it's not worth getting worked up over it either way. But even those of us who are pro-vaccine realize the US is an outlier on this one, and we all know why.
Politics influences science everywhere, and probably always has. It’s just more readily apparent the last few decades or so, certainly in the age of social media and 24-hour news.

Agree about vaccinating a 6-month old, but likely don’t share your cynicism regarding the underlying rationale for the recommendation.

With respect to young kids.....logic suggests whatever you do with your kids with respect to flu, you'd do with covid. What's required in other countries seems pretty irrelevant to the decisions YOU make for YOUR kids. Our attitude towards flu shots is different than a bunch of other countries too. That's not been a consideration for flu (at least that I've heard) so it really makes no sense to me why it'd be a consideration with covid.
Except the flu has been proved to be more dangerous to young children than COVID. So is RSV
I'd like a link please. Everything I've read suggests they are very similar. Covid and Flu....can't speak to RSV.
YLE addresses this exact thing in her latest column, as it was addressed at the ACIP meeting that approved the latest boosters.
Right....I'm looking for articles/evidence/studies saying what jobarules is saying though. YLE agrees with us.
Im not rehashing all the same **** again.

With respect to young kids.....logic suggests whatever you do with your kids with respect to flu, you'd do with covid. What's required in other countries seems pretty irrelevant to the decisions YOU make for YOUR kids. Our attitude towards flu shots is different than a bunch of other countries too. That's not been a consideration for flu (at least that I've heard) so it really makes no sense to me why it'd be a consideration with covid.
Except the flu has been proved to be more dangerous to young children than COVID. So is RSV
I'd like a link please. Everything I've read suggests they are very similar. Covid and Flu....can't speak to RSV.
YLE addresses this exact thing in her latest column, as it was addressed at the ACIP meeting that approved the latest boosters.
Right....I'm looking for articles/evidence/studies saying what jobarules is saying though. YLE agrees with us.
I didn't ask you to rehash anything. As a matter of fact, you're the first person I've heard suggest that Flu is more dangerous to kids than COVID. I was merely asking what you based that on as I am unaware of any peer reviewed study that suggests that.

I didn't ask you to rehash anything. As a matter of fact, you're the first person I've heard suggest that Flu is more dangerous to kids than COVID. I was merely asking what you based that on as I am unaware of any peer reviewed study that suggests that.
Covid more lethal than flu for kids

There's not much over the last year on this, but the overall numbers for Covid were worse for kids than flu for sure. Vaccinations/immunity have helped significantly since then, overall numbers are still very low for kids, but it's not zero.

I'm talking about case fatality rates not actual deaths. Covid is much more transmisable.

Thanks for the clarification. This is why I asked what you were basing your comments on :thumbup:
That article is from Oct, 2020. It's way outdated.

Just to give an example of how far off it is, there were ~600 reported deaths from Covid in children in 2021 alone. There's been a total of 16,000,000 cases of Covid in children TOTAL (3+ years). That linked article cites a 1 in 1.2 million chance of dying from Covid in children. That is orders of magnitude off using 2021 deaths and 3 years of total cases. With 600 deaths in 2021 alone and using 16,000,000 total cases, that's a case fatality rate of 1 in 26,000. That number only gets worse if you use the total cases for just 2021.

The article cites a chance of 1 in 155,000 cases of flu dying. That's significantly lower than Covid's case fatality rate. So, that article being as old as it is and when early variants of Covid were less harmful to children is useless at this point.

So no, even using case fatality rates, Covid is still more fatal than Flu.

Last edited:
Is there any other country recommending boosters for healthy 6 month olds still?
Good question, actually was surprised to find out the answer is no

Science is uniquely politicized in the US. It isn't like that in other countries, at least not yet -- it only seems that way because the US scientific community is the largest and most visible part of "science."

It probably doesn't matter very much either way whether you give your 6 month-old a covid vaccine. They're at no real risk from covid, but their odds of suffering an adverse side effect from the vaccine are also very low. We're trading off epsilon-level risks here and it's not worth getting worked up over it either way. But even those of us who are pro-vaccine realize the US is an outlier on this one, and we all know why.
And that is what makes it a horrible recommendation. The data isn't there to support this recommendation. The rest of the world can see that, but here we are. You probably don't need this, but its probably not going to kill you either...

Thanks for the clarification. This is why I asked what you were basing your comments on :thumbup:
That article is from Oct, 2020. It's way outdated.

Just to give an example of how far off it is, there were ~600 reported deaths from Covid in children in 2021 alone. There's been a total of 16,000,000 cases of Covid in children TOTAL (3+ years). That linked article cites a 1 in 1.2 million chance of dying from Covid in children. That is orders of magnitude off using 2021 deaths and 3 years of total cases. With 600 deaths in 2021 alone and using 16,000,000 total cases, that's a case fatality rate of 1 in 26,000. That number only gets worse if you use the total cases for just 2021.

The article cites a chance of 1 in 155,000 cases of flu dying. That's significantly lower than Covid's case fatality rate. So, that article being as old as it is and when early variants of Covid were less harmful to children is useless at this point.

So no, even using case fatality rates, Covid is still more fatal than Flu.
Agreed....just wanted to understand what he was basing his comments on. Now I know.

I've been laid out since Sunday, this is the worst I've been sick in a very long time. I can't stay awake for **** and get winded just getting up to go to the bathroom :wall: I'm going to Vegas next Saturday for 4 days so I'm hoping this runs its course over the next 7 days and I'm able to enjoy it.
Yeah this one knocked me down for a few days. I'm 2 weeks out at this point but still get winded a bit.

I've been laid out since Sunday, this is the worst I've been sick in a very long time. I can't stay awake for **** and get winded just getting up to go to the bathroom :wall: I'm going to Vegas next Saturday for 4 days so I'm hoping this runs its course over the next 7 days and I'm able to enjoy it.
Yeah this one knocked me down for a few days. I'm 2 weeks out at this point but still get winded a bit.
I golfed on saturday which would have been about 8 days after getting it because I was feeling 80%ish, welp yesterday I slept in til 950 am pst and then napped from 1230-1330 and still went to sleep by 2030, today I'm still feeling tired and beat up. I'm going to vegas saturday and I'm not expecting to feel good by then, I'm going to be winded and sore as a mofo.

I say all this as someone who took COVID very seriously thru 2nd vax...and even after.

I'd prefer not to get it again, but I don't even think about it in public anymore. At least until the guy next to me coughs up a lung. Even as an older guy that could drop some weight, it looks like my odds of suffering serious illness are very small. At least post-vax, post-infection.

And I think the odds are pretty high that something like this was originally behind many of the common cold strains today -- i.e. they were super deadly the first time through. But then, soon after, not.

I'm also maybe 75% convinced that "long COVID" probably has parallels in a lot of other viruses that we never really understood or spent as much time looking at as we have COVID. It's possible that a lot of health problems with indeterminate origin are "long Influenza" or "long Shingles" or whatever.

I'm also maybe 75% convinced that "long COVID" probably has parallels in a lot of other viruses that we never really understood or spent as much time looking at as we have COVID. It's possible that a lot of health problems with indeterminate origin are "long Influenza" or "long Shingles" or whatever.
I had thought it was almost locked down that chronic fatigue syndrome (lot of press in the 1990s) was essentially lingering sequelae of various viral infections — including, now, COVID.

According to this article from last week, though, the scientific community isn’t ready to put a bow on the obvious-to-laymen connection. Maybe before too long.

I say all this as someone who took COVID very seriously thru 2nd vax...and even after.

I'd prefer not to get it again, but I don't even think about it in public anymore. At least until the guy next to me coughs up a lung. Even as an older guy that could drop some weight, it looks like my odds of suffering serious illness are very small. At least post-vax, post-infection.

And I think the odds are pretty high that something like this was originally behind many of the common cold strains today -- i.e. they were super deadly the first time through. But then, soon after, not.

Well said

Researchers aren't yet united about whether or not the 1889 'Russian flu' pandemic was caused by a coronavirus, but the idea has been researched in earnest since the original SARS outbreak almost 20 years ago.

Beginning September 25, every U.S. household can again place an order to receive four more free COVID-19 rapid tests delivered directly to their home.
Also, they extended the expiration on some of the tests they previously sent out. Have to check by test type:

Tested positive yesterday morning. Placed a call to my doc and after a telehealth chat, got Paxlovid prescribed to me. 1st dose down by noon. I feel a little better but I'm tired and get exhausted doing little things like cleaning cat litter, taking trash out, going up stairs. I want to sleep but it is a restless sleep at best with constant wakeup. Headache and fever still around. No appetite at all.

The bitter metallic taste Paxlovid leaves in my mouth might be the worst of it, though. I'm chewing gum like Pete Carroll over here.

I've got tickets to the Deion show Saturday so I'm hoping I kick it by then!

ETA: triple vaxxed this is my first rodeo with Covid. Only one in my family to escape it until now.

The bitter metallic taste Paxlovid leaves in my mouth might be the worst of it, though.
Yeah, it's pretty crazy how much Paxlovid affects your taste. Just when I thought the metallic taste was finally starting to fade it was time for another dose. I did feel it helped with my symptoms, though.

Got the latest shot last night. I've now had all of J+J, Pfizer, Moderna. This is the first one to actually affect me. Woke up sore with a headache. No fever though. As long as it stays mild, I love it. Feels like training for my immune system. :boxing:

Tested positive yesterday morning. Placed a call to my doc and after a telehealth chat, got Paxlovid prescribed to me. 1st dose down by noon. I feel a little better but I'm tired and get exhausted doing little things like cleaning cat litter, taking trash out, going up stairs. I want to sleep but it is a restless sleep at best with constant wakeup. Headache and fever still around. No appetite at all.

The bitter metallic taste Paxlovid leaves in my mouth might be the worst of it, though. I'm chewing gum like Pete Carroll over here.

ETA: triple vaxxed this is my first rodeo with Covid. Only one in my family to escape it until now.
damn, sorry to hear that gb, I've still got some pain in my chest and have a slight cough with phlegm and it's day 12/13ish.

The Doc didn't want to prescribe me any drugs because she said most of the side effects weren't fun and she didn't trust them enough to prescribe! I'm uber vaxxed as well 👎

I am told that at a conference in Florida last week, which has 5000 attendees, 1200 people self-reported having COVID via the conference app within a few days of attendance.

That must've been really close quarters. I feel like if we're in the middle of a pretty good wave like we are now and you knowingly enter this kind of situation without masking, you're just asking to catch it.

damn, sorry to hear that gb, I've still got some pain in my chest and have a slight cough with phlegm and it's day 12/13ish.

The Doc didn't want to prescribe me any drugs because she said most of the side effects weren't fun and she didn't trust them enough to prescribe! I'm uber vaxxed as well 👎

You definitely got it worse than me - least so far. No phlegm or cough but I did come down with a painful sore throat overnight. Fever is gone this morning but I did take Motrin to deal with the pain. Bummer you couldn't get on Paxlovid. I think it's absolutely helped me but I'm not counting my chickens yet.

I tried to eat last night and gave up early. Nothing tasted good. Maybe I'll finally lose a pound or two.

So the NIH is proposing to bar WIV from receiving any US government research funding for the 10 years, because of severe research misconduct. As the letter explains, usually debarment is for for three years or less, but they're hitting WIV with a 10 year sentence because of the severity of the misconduct. The specific research that caused the problem is linked in particular to Zhengli Shi and EcoHealth Alliance, both of which should familiar names to everyone in this thread.

What a strange coincidence that all this research misconduct took place so close to the site where that darned racoon dog caused so much trouble. No need to update any priors though. It was definitely the racoon dog, not the bat coronavirus researchers.

I feel a little better but I'm tired and get exhausted doing little things like cleaning cat litter, taking trash out, going up stairs. I want to sleep but it is a restless sleep at best with constant wakeup. Headache and fever still around. No appetite at all.
Username checks out

So the NIH is proposing to bar WIV from receiving any US government research funding for the 10 years, because of severe research misconduct. As the letter explains, usually debarment is for for three years or less, but they're hitting WIV with a 10 year sentence because of the severity of the misconduct. The specific research that caused the problem is linked in particular to Zhengli Shi and EcoHealth Alliance, both of which should familiar names to everyone in this thread.

The linked Suspension/Debarment Determination is a dense read from which it is difficult for the layman to pick out the specific offense (but see below). It's not a "They flippin' created COVID, and they did it knowingly!" smoking gun (not that Ivan said it was) -- in fact, the specific research misconduct in this report is probably about six months or so too old to have been the origin of COVID.

BUT: the Wuhan lab no doubt had an internal culture of recklessness (scientifically speaking). Their demonstrated negligence will keep the Wuhan lab in the crosshairs of COVID origin hypotheses forever without some extraordinary -- really extraordinary -- exculpatory evidence. And also no doubt that continued research along the same lines as the misconducted research could easily have spawned COVID-19.

The Suspension/Debarment Determination letter gives the grant number of the sanctioned research (5R01AI110964-05) and specifies in which document the Wuhan lab inadvertently copped to the research misconduct (the "Year 5 Interim-Research Performance Progress Report (I-RPPR)").

Even the specific misconducted experiment is given - see pages 15-16 here, titled "3.1 In vivo infection of Human ACE2 (hACE2) expressing mice with SARSr-CoV S protein variants".

It's difficult to copy-&-paste text from the determination letter that Ivan linked, but just go to the bottom of page 3 and read the first bullet point. In brief: they infected specially-bred mice -- mice with human ACE2 receptors -- with various strains of SARS. Then researchers took note of what percentage of mice survived their infections (or not). Throughout the experiment, they also measured the viral loads of the infected mice, and allowed those viral loads to get too high and exceed NIH's Public Health Security protocols for researchers that accept NIH grants -- this was the experimental misconduct.

This is really a question for @The Commish 's wife ... but my assumption is that when viral loads got to a certain point in an infected mouse, that mouse was supposed to be summarily destroyed. As opposed to just letting the viral load continue to build up and increase the chances of a jump from mouse to human.

I got Covid about 4 weeks ago. It kicked my butt for a few days, but I thought I was over it within 6-7 days. My sense of smell was pretty much gone, and my sense of taste seemed off, and perhaps a little fatigue—but aside from that—I thought I made it through pretty well. The past week or so definitely have sucked. My fatigue and endurance seemed to be sapped. Before Covid I was walking 20-25k steps daily with no problem. Now, I can barely make it to 13k steps. I find myself having random moments where I just want to lie down every now and I even feel like my breathing sometimes devolves into wheezing. My sense of smell is still almost non existent, and my sense of taste feels like it has maybe gotten 20% better. Just sucks when you think you are over this thing, and weeks later it reminds you that it’s still around.

I got Covid about 4 weeks ago. It kicked my butt for a few days, but I thought I was over it within 6-7 days. My sense of smell was pretty much gone, and my sense of taste seemed off, and perhaps a little fatigue—but aside from that—I thought I made it through pretty well. The past week or so definitely have sucked. My fatigue and endurance seemed to be sapped. Before Covid I was walking 20-25k steps daily with no problem. Now, I can barely make it to 13k steps. I find myself having random moments where I just want to lie down every now and I even feel like my breathing sometimes devolves into wheezing.

The lingering fatigue after you beat the respiratory symptoms is what sets COVID apart from ordinary colds and flus.

I am curious as to whether young adults (like <30) spring right back after a bout of COVID (current variants, not 2020-21 stuff), or if they also commonly report fatigue lingering on even after other symptoms have passed.

I got Covid about 4 weeks ago. It kicked my butt for a few days, but I thought I was over it within 6-7 days. My sense of smell was pretty much gone, and my sense of taste seemed off, and perhaps a little fatigue—but aside from that—I thought I made it through pretty well. The past week or so definitely have sucked. My fatigue and endurance seemed to be sapped. Before Covid I was walking 20-25k steps daily with no problem. Now, I can barely make it to 13k steps. I find myself having random moments where I just want to lie down every now and I even feel like my breathing sometimes devolves into wheezing. My sense of smell is still almost non existent, and my sense of taste feels like it has maybe gotten 20% better. Just sucks when you think you are over this thing, and weeks later it reminds you that it’s still around.
I got it in May, and given that I run regularly with a heart rate monitor, it was easy to tell that I was still feeling the effects a couple weeks later even when I felt better. For what it's worth, I feel like my runs were back to normal in about 4-6 weeks.

You definitely got it worse than me - least so far. No phlegm or cough but I did come down with a painful sore throat overnight. Fever is gone this morning but I did take Motrin to deal with the pain. Bummer you couldn't get on Paxlovid. I think it's absolutely helped me but I'm not counting my chickens yet.

I tried to eat last night and gave up early. Nothing tasted good. Maybe I'll finally lose a pound or two.
If you can manage another eat off entry in this condition, you just might get my vote. Just sayin'

First time having it? Vaccinated?

First time having it? Vaccinated?
Yes—first time having it. Vaccinated with Pfizer (when the vaccines first came out), and got the first boosters (when Delta was out). Managed to avoid getting covid for around 3.5 years, but knew I was going to get it at some point.

Looking into this some more ... it looks like this is past proposal. It looks like the disbarment was indeed executed in July. A done deal.

I'm curious ... is this just going around now in the media that you consume (social or otherwise)?
Yep, and I definitely caught that part too. This happened back in July and only came to my attention because of the oversight hearings.

Racist conspiracy theorists like me who think that covid might have accidentally escaped from WIV have pointed to things like the State Department cable from before the pandemic alerting authorities to shoddy research practices at WIV. That information is important because it speaks to the ease with which an accidental escape might take place. In an alternate universe, where WIV was winning international awards for lab safety and its scientists were held up as role models for how to do safe virology research, people on the other side would be pointing to that as evidence for why we should de-weight the lab leak theory. Similarly, the fact that they're not just sloppy but negligent enough for the NIH to completely debar them for a whole decade points strongly toward "yeah, these are exactly the kind of people who would make a serious mistake and then cover it up."

And these aren't just random people at WIV. Dr. Shi and EcoHealth Alliance have been the prime suspects here since Day One. They're the specific people that the NIH is pointing to as having engaged in research misconduct. And it's research misconduct involving human transmission of bat coronaviruses.

It's weird that this didn't get any media traction back in July when it happened. AFAICT, nobody picked this up. I can see why the NYT might duck this, but even Fox News and WSJ seem to have been asleep at the switch.

But hey, it probably wasn't the nearby virology lab that was playing fast and loose with SARS-like bat coronaviruses. It was probably that one racoon dog. Or so I've been told by a host of virologists who rely on NIH funding for their careers. When, oh when, will humanity finally be free of the scourge of racoon dogs?

It's weird that this didn't get any media traction back in July when it happened. AFAICT, nobody picked this up. I can see why the NYT might duck this, but even Fox News and WSJ seem to have been asleep at the switch.
:confused:

Click on my link. You have to scroll down a bit, but the NYT, Washington Post, and other major old-line outlets ran pieces about the disbarment. I would agree that the general run of social media ignored it.

Sucks GB and that Paxlovid taste is f'ing horrible, almost as bad getting Covid again.

If you can manage another eat off entry in this condition, you just might get my vote. Just sayin'

I mean....I could try to get down some Ramen broth.

:confused:

Click on my link. You have to scroll down a bit, but the NYT, Washington Post, and other major old-line outlets ran pieces about the disbarment. I would agree that the general run of social media ignored it.
Ah, thanks. I had tried googling it and came up empty.

Users who are viewing this thread