What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

** Official ** Detroit Tigers 2007 Thread (1 Viewer)

I almost :goodposting: in the 9th.4.5 back of Cleveland, no worse than 2.5 back of the Yankees.
Freaking BoSox had a chance to win all their games vs the Yanks, Tigers woulda only been a half game out from the wild card.
Yeah that Oakland game two weeks ago when the Tigers blew that 7-0 lead comes to mind also. They have 12 games left with CLE, KC, MINN, and the White Sox. I think 9-3 is a resonable but difficult target. That means the Yankees would have to go 7-6 or worse playing Baltimore six times, Tampa three times, and Toronto four times with seven games at home. Or it means the Indians would have to go no better than 5-8 playing DET and Oakland at home, and Seattle and KC on the road. They have to win two of three in Cleveland no matter what over the next three days. That's really all that counts at the moment I guess. All the other stuff will just get you frustrated if you think about it too much.

Timo Perez is leading the AL in hitting in September. :shock:

So far, so good. Rogers has thrown a lot of pitches however and the bullpen is tired after that Twins series. Love the suicide squeezes lately. :bag:

Timo Perez is leading the AL in hitting in September. :shock: So far, so good. Rogers has thrown a lot of pitches however and the bullpen is tired after that Twins series. Love the suicide squeezes lately. :bag:
Bosox went belly up..we should be 1/2 game out of the WC!!

I absolutely despise Inge. The guy is simply ####### pathetic. He is a train wreck. He is ####### horrible. Nice bunt into a DP. Piece of ####.

Tigers have played sub-500 ball since the ASB. They in no way deserve the postseason
Too bad they play the whole season, huh?With a 162 game season, if you make the playoffs, you deserve it...By your logic should the Yanks be awarded the AL East due to them having the best record in baseball since the break?

Tigers have played sub-500 ball since the ASB. They in no way deserve the postseason
Too bad they play the whole season, huh?With a 162 game season, if you make the playoffs, you deserve it...By your logic should the Yanks be awarded the AL East due to them having the best record in baseball since the break?
If the Red Sox played sub-500 ball then absolutely, I would agree with you. Unfortunately this is not the case...

If the Red Sox played sub-500 ball then absolutely, I would agree with you. Unfortunately this is not the case...
You are really annoying. If the Red Sox had been 59-27 at the break and 36-40 since you'd be singing a much different tune. You would have said, "that's why they play 162." So either you are fishing which you do an awful lot, or you're the most illogical fan I've ever come across. I'll go with a combination platter. glllllllll

Last edited by a moderator:
You are really annoying. If the Red Sox had been 59-27 at the break and 36-40 since you'd be singing a much different tune.
Honestly, I wouldn't. I would be happy they backed into the playoffs, but I certainly wouldn't be proud of it.

Hey Wilked:

Tigers were 36-38 after the break last year

Cardinals were 34-39

1987 Twins were 36-37

1990 Reds were 41-42

I'm sure I can find quite a few more.

The 1986 Red Sux? 39-35. Pretty close.

Guess they didn't deserve to be in the playoffs.

You are really annoying. If the Red Sox had been 59-27 at the break and 36-40 since you'd be singing a much different tune.
Honestly, I wouldn't. I would be happy they backed into the playoffs, but I certainly wouldn't be proud of it.
Who cares? You wouldn't be "proud of it?" No one cares about any second half slump if you are playing in the World Series. No one.

Who cares? You wouldn't be "proud of it?" No one cares about any second half slump if you are playing in the World Series. No one.
If you make the playoffs after playing 162 games, it doesn't matter how you got it, or how you finished. Playing that many games ensures all playoff teams drive in the front door.

I think my friend made a Detroit fan (lady) leave before the top of the 7th. I screamed they still had three more chances against the best pen in baseball. He wasn't really being that mean at all, so it was kinda funny. Maybe she just felt the nail in the coffin. :wall:

I thought that first game was the most important. It's not only that they lost it, it was the way they lost it. Series and the season were over after Zumaya's gaff.

Oh well. I said they'd win 89, that would still be nice.

Turn out the lights

The party's over

They say that

All good things must end

Call it tonight

The party's over

And tomorrow starts

The same old thing again

But the crazy crazy party

Never seen so many people

Laughing dancing

Look at you you're having fun

But look at me

I'm almost cryin'

That don't keep her love from dyin'

Misery cause for me the party's over

Turn out the lights...

Once I had a love undyin'

I didn't keep it but I tried

Life for me was just one party

And then another

I broke her heart so many times

I had to have my parting wife

I had to have my party

Why broke her heart so many times

But one day she said

Sweetheart the party's over

Turn out the lights...

Great article by Henning:

CLEVELAND -- Realizing everyone in Detroit is angry, disgusted, or, in the case of the saintly, merely disappointed on this lovely late-summer night in downtown Cleveland, it probably isn't the time to say this.But it's going to be said anyway.The Tigers have succeeded as much in 2007 as in their 2006 dream season in restoring baseball integrity to Detroit.For those who just morphed from angry to borderline homicidal, here's the explanation after the Indians clubbed the Tigers 7-4, moved 6 1/2 games in front and all but sewed up the American League Central Division title.The reality Tuesday night was that the calendar said Sept. 18, yet the Tigers were still playing a meaningful and potentially dramatic series. That's significant in a town where, during too many of the past 20 years, Tigers fans spent September wondering who the new manager was going to be.The Tigers instead came to Cleveland this week with a chance to move to 1 1/2 games behind the Indians in a division race that has been deliciously cozy most of the year.The Tigers have lost the first two games, failing in heart-smashing fashion Monday, then dropping Tuesday night's contest when Justin Verlander couldn't keep enough of his pitches from sailing out of Jacobs Field at the same time Tigers batters seemed to be staging a singles-hitting contest.The latter point seemed to have most irked Tigers manager Jim Leyland, who held a 30-second media conference afterward."We should have had 10 runs," said Leyland, who was clearly miffed by the Tigers' patty-cake hitting when the Indians were batting like blacksmiths. "We did a poor job of hitting."Questions, questionsLeyland's mood confirmed that the Tigers have work to do during the offseason -- a lot of it.Shortstop is unresolved for 2008 as Carlos Guillen is considered for first base. Kenny Rogers and Todd Jones have expiring contracts. Pudge Rodriguez will see his $13 million contract option picked up in 2008, or the Tigers will need a new starting catcher.Left field is a mystery, and Brandon Inge, who blasted 27 home runs in 2006, can't seem to remember how to hit.Those are the issues, at least for starters. There are others preceding a busy offseason for president and general manager Dave Dombrowski.The difference is that these will be decisions made in the wake of a season in which the Tigers could still hit the 90-victory mark, which is generally good enough to eke out a playoff spot.They will have finished second to the Indians, not only because Cleveland is a quality club that all along stood to be Detroit's top competition, but also because the Tigers never got past their string of serious injuries in 2007.Too many problemsKenny Rogers missed four months-plus, which was enough to sentence the Tigers to second place. Fire-throwing reliever Joel Zumaya was gone for 3 1/2 months and is still well beneath peak form, as his Monday night meltdown showed.And their wheelhouse hitter, Gary Sheffield, has a right shoulder so sore he probably shouldn't be in the lineup."We haven't had our whole team together all year," Jones, the Tigers closer who may be pitching elsewhere next year, said. "But that doesn't matter."Jones understands one thing counts: winning. It isn't terribly consoling for players, or for fans, knowing after two bad losses to the Indians that the Tigers made this season addictive for 3 million-plus who will have turned out at Comerica Park in 2007.The Tigers, in fact, cannot get fat and sassy here. And it's not likely they will.Having savored the bliss of last autumn's playoff run, and having seen the enormous business the Tigers were able to generate this year in a Metro Detroit region where the economy loomed as a terrible impediment, Tigers owner Mike Ilitch will spend aggressively to keep the product competitive and upper tier.His front office generally identifies areas of need and moves quickly to shore up the soft spots, as they did in signing Rogers and Jones two years ago, and in trading for Sheffield only two weeks after last year's World Series.But these are maintenance issues more than reconstruction strategies. The Tigers have managed during the past six years to build a solid, long-term product.They have drafted boldly and shrewdly and should realize decade-long dividends from their draft crops of the past three summers.As 41,203 Indians fans shrieked here tonight on a gorgeous evening, Detroit can relate. The Tigers, like the Indians, have had a baseball renaissance.

I honestly think this year is more impressive than last year because we have never been healthy from the start. The bullpen issues really hurt all year. It has never been stable, even after Rodney and Zumaya came back. The starting pitching was inconsistent, and really missed the steady hand and experience of Rogers. The hitting has been even more inconsistent than the pitching. All of this, and we are still going to be around 90 wins.

I also think Leyland was below par as far as his decision making this year.

Users who are viewing this thread