What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Discussion of US Politics Resulting From The Ukraine Conflict *** aka Discuss what Donald and AOC said/tweeted here here (1 Viewer)

China does not have TikTok in their country. The algorithm specifically promotes the worst possibly behavior for views to destabilize the west. Facebook is America's version for western people. Same thing.
I more or less agree with you on Tic Tok, but I firmly belive that Putin has been pulling Facebook's strings for over a decade.

Last edited by a moderator:
I more or less agree with you on Tic Tok, but I'm firmly belive that Putin has been pulling Facebook's strings for over a decade.
I don't think Putin has that kind of pull. He can't stop the west from shutting everything off and is having to bow down to Xi to keep things going. 

I don't think Putin has that kind of pull. He can't stop the west from shutting everything off and is having to bow down to Xi to keep things going. 
Putin has a very particular set of skills - murder, propaganda, and blackmail. I think he has had the pull.

Maggot Brain said:
The Ten Hardest Truths About the War in Europe by Seth Abramson

tl;dr would be an understatement for this, but well worth the time. IMO, he seems to understand nuance somewhat better than most independent reporters.

I'll list the 10 points he discusses below so those uninterested in the entire piece can pick and choose from items of particular interest.

Disclaimer:  He slams Trump pretty hard but not from a left/right viewpoint, but due to his history of corruption.  He also doesn't play nice with Biden, so hopefully all you gents/gals can attempt to give it an unbiased read.
This article is terrifying.  I like and trust Abramson, but what he sets forth there is stuff I do not want to think about.  I hope fervently that he is wrong or at least overstating the current threats. Thanks for posting. 

This article is terrifying.  I like and trust Abramson, but what he sets forth there is stuff I do not want to think about.  I hope fervently that he is wrong or at least overstating the current threats. Thanks for posting. 
Agreed.  I hope he is wrong on a lot of that --  this part in #9 struck me; hard to believe 

"It is increasingly difficult to see distinctions between “Trumpism” and “Putinism”, which means that as the so-called “culture wars” rage on in America—because it profits the GOP to destabilize the nation in this way; destabilized voting populations often turn to the sort of strongmen the GOP now has on offer at the national level—they take on the character of a proxy war between autocracy and democracy. So it is that certain far-right firebrands now equate the Ukrainian government and the D.C. “swamp,” use terms like “thug” to describe both Zelensky and poor Blacks in the U.S., disfavorably compare Joe Biden’s alleged “weakness” psychologically and physically with Putin’s supposed manliness, unfavorably contrast the beautifully diverse U.S. population with the more homogeneous Russian one, flirt with the idea of a dictator safe from federal elections the same way Putin is, and in general leverage a made-up rhetorical exercise from the 1990s into the early strains of a civil war in America."

Maggot Brain said:
The Ten Hardest Truths About the War in Europe by Seth Abramson

tl;dr would be an understatement for this, but well worth the time. IMO, he seems to understand nuance somewhat better than most independent reporters.

I'll list the 10 points he discusses below so those uninterested in the entire piece can pick and choose from items of particular interest.

Disclaimer:  He slams Trump pretty hard but not from a left/right viewpoint, but due to his history of corruption.  He also doesn't play nice with Biden, so hopefully all you gents/gals can attempt to give it an unbiased read.
This is a really good article.  Everyone should read it.

NBC News

QAnon, Ukraine and 'biolabs': Russian propaganda efforts boosted by U.S. far right

…Most of the conspiracy theories claim that the U.S. was developing and plotting to release a bioweapon or potentially another coronavirus from “biolabs”’ throughout Ukraine and that Russia invaded to take over the labs.

Many of the theories implicate people who are often the targets of far-right conspiracy thinking — including Dr. Anthony Fauci and President Joe Biden — as being behind creating the weaponized diseases in the biolabs.

“The ‘biolabs’ are serving as a false justification for why Russia invaded Ukraine. It’s defensive,” said Clint Watts, an MSNBC contributor who is a senior fellow at the Center for Cyber and Homeland Security at George Washington University. “They create a situation where they go to a populist audience, push out talking points, get the audience primed and make it true later.”

Trump discussed the conflict during an appearance on Fox News host Jeanine Pirro's radio show Sunday. He said he believes Putin's ultimate goal is to eventually rebuild the Soviet Union, and he went on to explain what he believes to be Putin's mindset.

"You say, what's the purpose of this? They had a country. You could see it was a country where there was a lot of love and we're doing it because, you know, somebody wants to make his country larger or he wants to put it back the way it was when actually it didn't work very well," Trump said.

Link

Trump discussed the conflict during an appearance on Fox News host Jeanine Pirro's radio show Sunday. He said he believes Putin's ultimate goal is to eventually rebuild the Soviet Union, and he went on to explain what he believes to be Putin's mindset.

"You say, what's the purpose of this? They had a country. You could see it was a country where there was a lot of love and we're doing it because, you know, somebody wants to make his country larger or he wants to put it back the way it was when actually it didn't work very well," Trump said.

Link
There must be additional context omitted because by itself that makes zero sense. 

Just a reminder that conspiracy theorists are just ahead of the curve. 

Video: David Icke 2014 Explaining how WW3 will go down
I'm familiar with David Icke. He's basically never met a conspiracy he didn't believe. He was the first person I ever knew of that revealed shape-shifting lizard people are waging a psionic war against humanity, and that basically every excessively important, rich, influential person is a lizard.

I own several of his books :bag:  and really enjoyed reading them :bag:  until I got to those parts.

I'm not bagging on you or your post, just giving some background on the guy.

And hey, whadoiknow, maybe he's right about the lizards. He is quite good at making compelling cases; his theory on the royal family being responsible for the death of Princess Di seemed pretty plausible to me 20 years ago.

I'm familiar with David Icke. He's basically never met a conspiracy he didn't believe. He was the first person I ever knew of that revealed shape-shifting lizard people are waging a psionic war against humanity, and that basically every excessively important, rich, influential person is a lizard.

I own several of his books :bag:  and really enjoyed reading them :bag:  until I got to those parts.

I'm not bagging on you or your post, just giving some background on the guy.

And hey, whadoiknow, maybe he's right about the lizards. He is quite good at making compelling cases; his theory on the royal family being responsible for the death of Princess Di seemed pretty plausible to me 20 years ago.
No I know who he is. Just pretty amazing how close he got this situation were currently in. 

He really didn't predict anything that is currently happening. He really just said a bunch of conspiracy theories about things that had already happened in 2014.
Other than Ukraine bombing their own country with Russian insurgents in it, what else was happening thats similar to today? He was pretty spot on to what's happening. 

Other than Ukraine bombing their own country with Russian insurgents in it, what else was happening thats similar to today? He was pretty spot on to what's happening. 
I'm not quite sure what you are asking.

As far as I can tell, his prediction is that someone (the west?) would destabilize the world until there is a world war with Russia and China. Part of that is provoking a war with Russia via Ukraine. The goal of the world war is to implement the new world order (ie. one world government).

Am I understanding that correctly?

None of that has happened. Russia invaded a democratic, sovereign nation for its own unclear reasons. The US and the rest of the west is doing its utmost to not provoke a world war, including watching Russia commit multiple war crimes and killing innocent people.

None of that has happened. 
Oh, you gotta turn on your far-right TV, guy.

FOX and the lower reaches of NEWMAX have already tired of discussing the horrors of Russia's invasion, and people digging up old sound bites of Trump giving Putin a rubdown, so they have pivoted to the US has been poking at Russia, and dragged poor Ukraine into this. 

It's disgusting.

Oh, you gotta turn on your far-right TV, guy.

FOX and the lower reaches of NEWMAX have already tired of discussing the horrors of Russia's invasion, and people digging up old sound bites of Trump giving Putin a rubdown, so they have pivoted to the US has been poking at Russia, and dragged poor Ukraine into this. 

It's disgusting.
I don't seem to have those channels. Must be the big tech censorship. Come to think of it, I don't seem to have any channels. 🤔

That's crazy.  I know that it must be hard to shed the 'Russia good' and Ukraine bad' from the Trump years, but come on.  I really don't know why the extreme right and Q-Anon is clinging to Putin.
Maybe because all of these actions are leading to a full scale war. No one seems to care there. They think little things like cutting off a country's economy and creating a no fly zone are going to end the war after a decades worth of actions that got us to this point. 

There are too many people that jumped from the "unvaccinated aren't allowed in society" to "We must go to war with Russia" without missing a beat. Next thing drops and they line up like a it's a new iphone. 

Maybe because all of these actions are leading to a full scale war. No one seems to care there. They think little things like cutting off. Country's economy and creating a no fly zone are going to end the war after a decades worth of actions that got us to this point. 

There are too many people that jumped from the "unvaccinated aren't allowed in society" to "We must go to war with Russia" without missing a beat. Next thing drops and they line up like a it's a new iphone. 
You are in the we have done too much camp?

How many of these people (using that term very loosely) are up for re-election? And please tell me they will get challenged within the party.
All of them are up for re-election every two years.

Those 8 were just virtue signaling to the Trump/MAGA base. It's frankly beyond getting worked up about. This is what those 8 do, there are a few others who sometimes come along as well depending on the vote at hand.

Will they be challenged within the party? Perhaps. Examine their districts and that will give a sense of how "worried" they should be (hint: they have nothing to worry about).

Maybe because all of these actions are leading to a full scale war. No one seems to care there. They think little things like cutting off a country's economy and creating a no fly zone are going to end the war after a decades worth of actions that got us to this point. 

But there isn't a no fly zone and Russia was well aware that they would face sanctions if they invaded a sovereign country.  I really don't understand your point.  Do you believe that the world should just stand back and let Russia go on a European tour?  Maybe a harshly worded letter?

Hardly anyone I know and only a few posters are saying 'go to war with Russia'.  I have no idea where you are getting this from.

No. It absolutely is not. 
He has repeatedly said there will be no US soldiers sent there, they won’t support a no fly zone, keeping NATO nations from sending planes (countries that are taking in millions of refugees and are much more impacted by this than we are). 

Are the economic sanctions and organizing nations to isolate Russia too strong of actions on our part?

He has repeatedly said there will be no US soldiers sent there, they won’t support a no fly zone, keeping NATO nations from sending planes (countries that are taking in millions of refugees and are much more impacted by this than we are). 

Are the economic sanctions and organizing nations to isolate Russia too strong of actions on are part?
He says a lot of things. Many of which end up being the opposite not very long after. He says no fly zone and no American troops but he's sending $14b in aid to help train and equip Ukrainians. I don't expect that to be the end of it. 

All of them are up for re-election every two years.

Those 8 were just virtue signaling to the Trump/MAGA base. It's frankly beyond getting worked up about. This is what those 8 do, there are a few others who sometimes come along as well depending on the vote at hand.

Will they be challenged within the party? Perhaps. Examine their districts and that will give a sense of how "worried" they should be (hint: they have nothing to worry about).
you are right, but... what virtues are they signaling, and who are they signaling to?

He says a lot of things. Many of which end up being the opposite not very long after. He says no fly zone and no American troops but he's sending $14b in aid to help train and equip Ukrainians. I don't expect that to be the end of it. 
So are you saying no aid to Ukraine, no sanctions on Russia, allow them to do their business, and agree with the vote of these 8 in the House? 

First the right complained that Biden's sanctions weren't harsh enough. Then the complaint was that we were still buying Russian oil. Then when we stopped buying the oil, the complaint was that it was making our gas prices go up. Then they complained that Biden was holding up the planes Poland wanted to send.

Now we're doing too much and causing a global war.

Lesson learned - Biden will be criticized by the right no matter what he does or does not do. Period.

Biden will be criticized by the right no matter what he does or does not do. Period.
It kind of goes with the job.

The trick is to be criticized by people who disagree with your policies, and not by people who understand drawing with sharpies isn't an *actual* weather forecast or people who can compare two photos and see for themselves which one has more people in it, or who know that you can't kill viruses with bleach inside the body.  

More thinking.  Crazy talk I'm sure, but can we turn some attention towards Syria right now?   I'm fixated on the notion that Russia cannot walk and chew gum right now (and you know China is too).  I see many needle-threading opportunities.

• Provide the relief that Syrian citizens so desperatley need and help build diplomatic bridges
  • America, #### yeah
  • Putin regime, #### you
EDIT:  Assad, let's go check out your new penthouse.
We probably could have done something like this when the civil war had broken out. Right or wrong, the administration at the time didn't seem willing to fully commit to another nation building exercise in the middle east. Now this would basically mean an invasion and we'd still have to consider the possibility that Russia uses extreme methods to keep Assad in power.

First the right complained that Biden's sanctions weren't harsh enough. Then the complaint was that we were still buying Russian oil. Then when we stopped buying the oil, the complaint was that it was making our gas prices go up. Then they complained that Biden was holding up the planes Poland wanted to send.

Now we're doing too much and causing a global war.

Lesson learned - Biden will be criticized by the right no matter what he does or does not do. Period.
In before "where were you 2016-2020  :pokey:  ?"

Wow…It’s pretty insane to see where our far right finds themselves these days. Playing footsie with fascists…

H.R. 7108 (EH) - Suspending Normal Trade Relations with Russia and Belarus Act

https://www.govinfo.gov/app/details/BILLS-117hr7108eh/

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/BILLS-117hr7108eh/html/BILLS-117hr7108eh.htm

Areas of contentions are

1) No checks and balances in place, puts entire authority to the discretion of the Executive Branch. ( In practical terms, that means Susan Rice, and when day to day administration is deferred, then Jennifer Dillon)

2) Long term, it creates the question of the overly broad interpretation of the entire scope of "human rights abuses"  While that's a clear case currently in Ukraine, the law has to account for natural impact of the proposed law across scale and time not just in current specific circumstances.

3) Many members of the HOR have pressed, as always, for streamlined single issue bills. 7108 also has language the backdoors into cryptocurrency regulation, and while that's useful today against Russia, that creates a potential ugly long term impact on the American economy.

So no, it's just not that simple. I have nothing but the typical exhaustion/weariness towards Taylor Greene, Boebert and Gaetz, but they are not without a point in this regard.

Biden ( actually Susan Rice and Ron Klain, as a dark money bagman, to some limited degree) infused issues relating to more than just helping Ukraine and limiting Putin here.  There are some potentially long term brutal slippery slopes here.

You are taking legislation of actual complexity and cooking it down to boiled repeated click bait social media outrage.

There's a saying in professional media optics - "The only thing a parrot can hope for in the future is a bigger cage"

A poll result in Canada showing that Anti-Vaxers are much more likely to back Russia and Putin. Pretty much confirming what we already know that Russia has been pushing the anti-vax propaganda the last few years. Qanon, some GOPers, Trucker nonsense, etc all stem from the same source: The Kremlin.

Poll and Story

“While 88 per cent of vaccinated Canadians agree Russia is committing war crimes during the widely condemned invasion, 32 per cent of unvaccinated people do.”

A poll result in Canada showing that Anti-Vaxers are much more likely to back Russia and Putin. Pretty much confirming what we already know that Russia has been pushing the anti-vax propaganda the last few years. Qanon, some GOPers, Trucker nonsense, etc all stem from the same source: The Kremlin.

Poll and Story

“While 88 per cent of vaccinated Canadians agree Russia is committing war crimes during the widely condemned invasion, 32 per cent of unvaccinated people do.”
This is not a surprise.  But at least they aren't vocal about it yet. 

I have 5 anti-vaxxers (convoy supporters) that were so vocal on facebook about the government and the vaccine mandates, that they probably accounted for half the posts.  These 5 have so far only put up a few articles that might have been a bit anti-Ukraine.  I guess they are testing the water and waiting to see when it's OK to publicly support Putin.

Users who are viewing this thread