What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL Game Thread*** Green Bay at Detroit TNF edition (1 Viewer)

I'm not a fan of either of these teams, and yet that BS facemask call still got me worked up. Just brutal. There's incidental contact to ballcarriers' facemasks all game long. The Lion defender didn't pull or twist the facemask.

NFL officials blew another game tonight.
I don't agree. I can absolutely see in real time how that would be called a facemask all the damn time.
If the official doesn't know for sure that he sees the defender grab the mask, then he shouldn't toss his flag. Especially on the last play of the game.

I'm not a fan of either of these teams, and yet that BS facemask call still got me worked up. Just brutal. There's incidental contact to ballcarriers' facemasks all game long. The Lion defender didn't pull or twist the facemask.

I don't agree. I can absolutely see in real time how that would be called a facemask all the damn time.
If the official doesn't know for sure that he sees the defender grab the mask, then he shouldn't toss his flag. Especially on the last play of the game.
Can you hit the QB in the head?

It was a lateral, he shouldnt have blow to the head protection.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saying the officials would have missed this call "all the damn time" makes things worse, not better.

At that point in the play he's not a QB though, he's a runner.

I b live so if he's running out of the pocket.

Welp - it would have been an uphill battle for the Lions to make the playoffs anyways so perhaps this was a good outcome for them in the grand scheme of things.
Biggest loser tonight, me.
:goodposting:
Wait, I know someone else who alters quotes.... Goes by ITS.
Sure, that's original. I like iTS, unlike you, he's entertaining and beyond the shtick he actually knows stuff about football. You? Not so much. :lmao:
Christine Michael highlight film FTW
ITS/DD.. Please post your latest CM update :lmao:
Fighting trolls is simplistic. SILENCE. :lmao:

‏@DeanBlandino

Hand up to the mask, quick grab with finger and head gets turned. At full speed official is going to make that call almost every time.
Thing is the defender didn't even put his hand up to the mask. Rodgers was bouncing up and down and essentially moved his mask into the way of the defenders hand. Got to allow these guys to play football.

in normal speed it looked much worse. it helped a lot that rodgers chin strap came up and over his mouth. slow mo, it wasn't bad at all.

Rodgers was a ballcarrier. He had completed a pass downfield and the ball was lateraled back to him. All those QB protections are irrelevant.

He wasn't running out of the pocket on that--it was a backward lateral which makes Rodgers "only" a ball carrier/runner at that point. He can be hit in the head even if he was technically in the previous "pocket".

Rodgers was a ballcarrier. He had completed a pass downfield and the ball was lateraled back to him. All those QB protections are irrelevant.
I'm pretty sure you are considered a ball carrier once you leave the confines of the pocket. That's your safe place.

He wasn't running out of the pocket on that--it was a backward lateral which makes Rodgers "only" a ball carrier/runner at that point. He can be hit in the head even if he was technically in the previous "pocket".
True.

Speaking of which, gotta love Rodgers in the on-field post game interview directly referencing the Seattle game when asked how he was feeling, "Well, we've been on the other end of these before, so we're going to have a few laughs this weekend and enjoy it and get back to work next week."
In the post game press conference Mike McCarthy said (something close to), "At least our guy caught the ball." lol...and Golden Tate was on the other side of this Hail Mary. Something poetic about that.

Ask yourself if a facemask would have been called if the ballcarrier had been Starks or James Jones or anyone else. Heck no.

‏@DeanBlandino

Hand up to the mask, quick grab with finger and head gets turned. At full speed official is going to make that call almost every time.
What's Dean saying about that egregious hold?
On who? No one who says there was an obvious hold can even say who it was on.
The LT. He was clearly behind the O-lineman and holding him back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0vVqStvh_8
Grabbed him so clearly he spun his entire body around. Was uneeded as the G was coming over anyway. Still, he did it.

‏@DeanBlandino

What's Dean saying about that egregious hold?
On who? No one who says there was an obvious hold can even say who it was on.
The LT. He was clearly behind the O-lineman and holding him back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0vVqStvh_8
Grabbed him so clearly he spun his entire body around. Was uneeded as the G was coming over anyway. Still, he did it.
In the moment I thought there was a block in the back as well but it might be the angle as I re-watch it. It looks like he got him fair on the side.

The Lions rushed 3 players on the Hail Mary, and had Ziggy Ansah do this: https://t.co/nfY8VTZesb
can't get over how badly designed that defense is

six guys on the back half of the end zone, RR all alone....SMDH
Hard to grasp. Lions have a good DC but that many players couldn't have all done the wrong thing. Has to be on the DC.
If that was by design...holy crap.

Just the worst possible defense.

The Lions rushed 3 players on the Hail Mary, and had Ziggy Ansah do this: https://t.co/nfY8VTZesb

Hard to grasp. Lions have a good DC but that many players couldn't have all done the wrong thing. Has to be on the DC.

Ansah only started playing six years ago

it's like I can hear his inner voice while he's standing on the 40

"I know I'm kind of still learning the game, but dayum, this really doesn't seem right"

Ansah only started playing six years ago

it's like I can hear his inner voice while he's standing on the 40

"I know I'm kind of still learning the game, but dayum, this really doesn't seem right"
With Levy out, he's arguably their best defensive player and is easily their best pass rusher. It's inexcusable.

Fellow Lions fans:

Please just stop with the #####ing about the officiating. We should have wiped the floor with that team that showed up in Detroit. Instead we gave them every opportunity to swing the momentum to their side.

I you want to ##### about something, ##### about the pathetic coaching.

Ask yourself if a facemask would have been called if the ballcarrier had been Starks or James Jones or anyone else. Heck no.
Not saying it was the right call, but pretty much EVERY pundit on TV has said that penalty would have been called every time. From a real time perspective it certainly looked like a face mask.

The Lions had this game put away in the 1st quarter and should have kept that momentum going. Instead they let GB slowly crawl back into the game and eventually win it.

Fellow Lions fans:

Please just stop with the #####ing about the officiating. We should have wiped the floor with that team that showed up in Detroit. Instead we gave them every opportunity to swing the momentum to their side.

I you want to ##### about something, ##### about the pathetic coaching.
:goodposting:

That was a facemask, his had hit the head of a QB and it hit the facemask, stop the whining since its unbecoming and a clear penalty.

The Lions lost because they became the Lions we all know this year. Why was a defenders hand even near the face of anyone he is trying to tackle anyways?

There's a still photo on MLive/Lions of the moment of truth. Hand came across the face mask & Rodgers head turned. There's no grab but he probably caught his thumbs between the bars. Just like a light slap to the QB head, gonna call it every time.

The decision to have Ansah 20 yards downfield (& a second player also at the 40 on the near side) is indefensible. Six guys to cover five, none of them over 6'2", and the tallest guy down there is uncovered in front of the GL with no one in front of him. All six Lions defenders are 5-8 deep in the end zone, none in position to make a play.

This doesn't change the fact that the Packers aren't very good. They got a gift tonight but they still don't have any receivers that can get open. They still have offensive line problems. This did nothing to change any of that.
Having 10 days off should help.

Lion fans times will get better for you once you have a new GM. With Ernie Accorsi aiding in the search you should get a solid guy, and then have Caldwell removed.

We as Packer fans got lucky last night with some crazy things happening at the end of a game to beat a team that we should beat right now with the talent on the Packer roster. As the Central division is getting better our coach is showing his flaws and we will be on the wrong end of the standings unless a change is made.

Users who are viewing this thread