What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL Game Thread*** Green Bay at Detroit TNF edition (2 Viewers)

Lion fans times will get better for you once you have a new GM. With Ernie Accorsi aiding in the search you should get a solid guy, and then have Caldwell removed.

We as Packer fans got lucky last night with some crazy things happening at the end of a game to beat a team that we should beat right now with the talent on the Packer roster. As the Central division is getting better our coach is showing his flaws and we will be on the wrong end of the standings unless a change is made.
I agree.

Lion fans times will get better for you once you have a new GM. With Ernie Accorsi aiding in the search you should get a solid guy, and then have Caldwell removed.

We as Packer fans got lucky last night with some crazy things happening at the end of a game to beat a team that we should beat right now with the talent on the Packer roster. As the Central division is getting better our coach is showing his flaws and we will be on the wrong end of the standings unless a change is made.
I agree.
Im not necessarily up to verse on the Lions, but weren't they 11-5 last year? How does a new GM prevent a last second 60 yard TD? The players blew the game. Not the coach, not the GM. I suppose the coach could have done things differently to bury the Packers, but he ultimately got them in a position to win, and they didn't.

Will coaches EVER learn that rushing 3 on a Hail Mary is the WRONG answer :confused:

Lions rush 5 there and Rodgers never gets a chance to throw that.. Only the Lions could turn a 20-0 lead into a loss.

Last edited by a moderator:
When we punted four times in a row to end the half - the first three were 3 n outs, the last drive 4 plays 19 yards - I felt like we missed our chance to put it away.

When Ola got hurt during the FG opening drive of the second half, I started getting worried. Waddle has been horrible all year.

When the Packers responded with a drive, I told my buddy we have to make a play - sack, interception, fumble. Got it from Abdul-Quddus (who had a great game), but Cobb recovered for the TD.

Next play from scrimmage, Riley Reiff gave up the sack/strip. He's not the only first round OL who couldn't make the transition to the highest level, but HTF is he still our LT? Literally the worst blind side tackle in the NFL.

Now I'm legitimately concerned, but I'm still optimistic. The defense has been playing great (Packers had 150 total yards through 3-1/2 quarters), Stafford hasn't thrown a bad interception in a month, we're running the ball effectively at times.

Still hope.

Then that ####### idiot ITS showed up in the game thread. It was then I knew we were totally ####ed.

‏@DeanBlandino

Hand up to the mask, quick grab with finger and head gets turned. At full speed official is going to make that call almost every time.
What's Dean saying about that egregious hold?
On who? No one who says there was an obvious hold can even say who it was on.
The LT. He was clearly behind the O-lineman and holding him back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0vVqStvh_8
Grabbed him so clearly he spun his entire body around. Was uneeded as the G was coming over anyway. Still, he did it.
Nope. As I see it, the LT got beat initially, but his right hand and forearm were still in and he recovered and kept pushing, not pulling. It looked bad because Rodgers moved to his left and the DL had to alter his path back into the block.

On the live play, I thought Rodgers was facemasked just by the way his head turned and the ref that called it was behind the play wasn't he? On the replay he clearly glances his pinky finger off the facemask and it definitely should not have been a facemask call.

There is no way in hell Rodgers fake jerked his head though to try and "steal" a facemask call, as smart a player as Rodgers is there is no way he can react that quickly in that situation.

But even after a questionable call, we still had to complete a 61 yard Hail Mary for a win and Detroit allowed that to happen. If it had been reversed I would be bitter about a bad call but more pissed that my team allowed a 61 yard Hail Mary, cause that is just terrible on the players and coaches.

I really am/was impressed with Richard Rodgers who took time to look at the ball, look down to see where he was and looked back up to track the ball and make a really tough play look easy. Great throw and great catch, but obviously bad D as well.

This doesn't change the fact that the Packers aren't very good. They got a gift tonight but they still don't have any receivers that can get open. They still have offensive line problems. This did nothing to change any of that.
Having 10 days off should help.
And they're still 8-4 in a very weak NFC. Every team has issues (except maybe Carolina at this point), so it's wide open and Green Bay is going to be playing some home playoff games.

After the face mask, Detroit was the only team in the league that would worry me about the last play. For good reason

Will coaches EVER learn that rushing 3 on a Hail Mary is the WRONG answer :confused:

Lions rush 5 there and Rodgers never gets a chance to throw that.. Only the Lions could turn a 20-0 lead into a loss.
Lions got a decent rush, but they never should have let him roll out right. They had his path blocked but went for the sack instead of controlling his path. He rolls left and there's no way he gets the ball to the end zone.

On the live play, I thought Rodgers was facemasked just by the way his head turned and the ref that called it was behind the play wasn't he? On the replay he clearly glances his pinky finger off the facemask and it definitely should not have been a facemask call.

There is no way in hell Rodgers fake jerked his head though to try and "steal" a facemask call, as smart a player as Rodgers is there is no way he can react that quickly in that situation.

But even after a questionable call, we still had to complete a 61 yard Hail Mary for a win and Detroit allowed that to happen. If it had been reversed I would be bitter about a bad call but more pissed that my team allowed a 61 yard Hail Mary, cause that is just terrible on the players and coaches.

I really am/was impressed with Richard Rodgers who took time to look at the ball, look down to see where he was and looked back up to track the ball and make a really tough play look easy. Great throw and great catch, but obviously bad D as well.
After going down he immediately looked back and threw up his hands like "you going to call that facemask?"

After going down he immediately looked back and threw up his hands like "you going to call that facemask?"
Yeah because the guy hit his facemask. It was s legit call.

although it probably wasn't the correct call, it is a call you can't blame the ref for making. The defender's hand originally got his facemask, Ridgers' head snapped and turned all the way around, and his helmet ended up crooked and his chinstrap under his nose. It's not reviewable, and every ref in the country makes that call.

I still can't believe that game went down like that. The Lions had been getting to Rodgers and forcing quick throws ALL NIGHT. Why would they want to allow him the 3-5 seconds it takes to get that play off? (not a fan of either team..Just can't believe NFL football is this bad).

I still can't believe that game went down like that. The Lions had been getting to Rodgers and forcing quick throws ALL NIGHT. Why would they want to allow him the 3-5 seconds it takes to get that play off? (not a fan of either team..Just can't believe NFL football is this bad).
I agree. And how many teams lose games because they are content to run the ball three times and punt and give the ball back to the other team? I get that they want to force teams to use their timeouts and fear an incomplete pass, but have some confidence in your offense to get a first down. The runs never work because the defense knows you won't pass.

Up thread there's a moment of truth pic I posted. Taylor's thumb looks to be between bars and Rogers head is turned. Gotta call that every time.

Play before that, after Rogers releases the ball a DL gave him a two-handed shove into the sideline. We've seen that called roughing the passers often in today's NFL.

Zebras not at fault in any way.

So many things wrong with the alignment of that last play. Rushing 3. Not rushing Ansah, best DE in the NFC. Dropping 2 guys 20 yards on either sideline, no impact, making it an 11 on 9 play. Rodgers had an unabated run to the LOS allowing him to heave it 70 yards. The 6 Lions defenders in the end zone were all 4-7 yards deep. The tallest one is 6'2", RR is 2" talker and completely uncovered.

Total fail. You have to #### up seven different aspects to make that play work for the Packers. Change one of them and it's game over.

Pathetic.

i agree with all of this

what sucks is the NFL not saying that exact thing

This was a call that would have been made a lot, and every time it would have been the WRONG call.

but the lions have to stop that pass, they have to.

although it probably wasn't the correct call, it is a call you can't blame the ref for making. The defender's hand originally got his facemask, Ridgers' head snapped and turned all the way around, and his helmet ended up crooked and his chinstrap under his nose. It's not reviewable, and every ref in the country makes that call.
Well there's yer problem

AND

because the NFL does not want to admit replay might have ended the game with a different winner, they won't say it

Fellow Lions fans:

Please just stop with the #####ing about the officiating. We should have wiped the floor with that team that showed up in Detroit. Instead we gave them every opportunity to swing the momentum to their side.

I you want to ##### about something, ##### about the pathetic coaching.
Up thread there's a moment of truth pic I posted. Taylor's thumb looks to be between bars and Rogers head is turned. Gotta call that every time.

Play before that, after Rogers releases the ball a DL gave him a two-handed shove into the sideline. We've seen that called roughing the passers often in today's NFL.

Zebras not at fault in any way.

So many things wrong with the alignment of that last play. Rushing 3. Not rushing Ansah, best DE in the NFC. Dropping 2 guys 20 yards on either sideline, no impact, making it an 11 on 9 play. Rodgers had an unabated run to the LOS allowing him to heave it 70 yards. The 6 Lions defenders in the end zone were all 4-7 yards deep. The tallest one is 6'2", RR is 2" talker and completely uncovered.

Total fail. You have to #### up seven different aspects to make that play work for the Packers. Change one of them and it's game over.

Pathetic.
Good to see Lions fans that get it. Only people focusing on the facemask penalty are ones with an ax to grind against NFL officiating in general or trolls, particularly Seahawk fans who and have some thing with GB.

Regardless of the call, which I believe was the correct one, Detroit should have won that game and simply had to defend their own endzone on one play from 60 yards away to do so. They failed miserably.

Terrible coaching to set up defense of a lateral instead of a hail mary. And terrible ball skills by all of their DBs on the play.

Well there's yer problem

AND

because the NFL does not want to admit replay might have ended the game with a different winner, they won't say it
Here's your review.

http://image.mlive.c...2336-mmmain.jpg

Call stands.

Full disclosure, I'm a Packers fan.

Not saying this to excuse Caldwell at all on the Hail Mary play but one of the Packers' reporters said this morning that the reason the Lions rushed 3 and didn't have Megatron in on the final play is that Caldwell was expecting a lateral-type play like the play before. Would explain why all defensive players and the two players along the sidelines several yards up.

Again, not saying Caldwell or Cooter deserve a pass on that - perhaps the Packers were intending a lateral play and then, when they saw the the defensive package and alignment audibled to the Hail Mary? Who knows.

I will say this, even if the players on the field and defensive alignment were EXACTLY the same again, I have a hard time believing that play has the same results if they had to repeat it. It really was, as Clay Matthews said, "One for the ages."

Well there's yer problem

AND

From the Detroit Free Press:

The Lions have only themselves to blame for this loss. Don’t blame the officiating. There was the standard immediate post-game response that the officials potentially erred throwing a personal foul face mask penalty on Lions’ defensive end Devin Taylor. Replays suggested Taylor got more of Aaron Rodgers’ shoulder pads than his face mask on what should’ve been the last play of the game – a failed multiple lateral attempt.

But it was a dumb play on Taylor’s part. There was no reason for him lunging high on the quarterback, especially considering how much the officials protect the quarterback. But that still shouldn’t have been a fatal mistake.
That call is made EVERY time, regardless.

I didn't say he was dumb. Any QB worth crap would be looking for a penalty when the game is on the line.

Well there's yer problem

AND

Here's your review.

Call stands.
Look, I get that this gets called every time but there are a #### ton of fallacies everyone keeps falling back on. I commend you on taking a stance against your rooting interest here, but that still is about the only quarter second his thumb is on the facemask. He didn't pull or turn his head, but rather Rodgers turned his head at that moment. Again, I agree it gets called 100% of the time--doesn't mean it was a real facemask.

Additionally, for the record folks--when he has the ball at that point he doesn't get QB protection--he's the ball carrier.

Yes the Lions did Lion things that nobody outside of Cleveland can rationally explain on the very next play. Still, the same ref who called the non-facemask penalty also didn't call that egregious holding penalty on the LT. The NFL got the outcome it wanted, plain and simple.

I didn't say he was dumb. Any QB worth crap would be looking for a penalty when the game is on the line.
Actually, there's only three that do that routinely. Rodgers, Manning, and Brady. I suppose the next thing you'll say is your point stands. Not a bad point.

Well there's yer problem

AND

Here's your review.

Call stands.
Look, I get that this gets called every time but there are a #### ton of fallacies everyone keeps falling back on. I commend you on taking a stance against your rooting interest here, but that still is about the only quarter second his thumb is on the facemask. He didn't pull or turn his head, but rather Rodgers turned his head at that moment. Again, I agree it gets called 100% of the time--doesn't mean it was a real facemask.

Additionally, for the record folks--when he has the ball at that point he doesn't get QB protection--he's the ball carrier.

Yes the Lions did Lion things that nobody outside of Cleveland can rationally explain on the very next play. Still, the same ref who called the non-facemask penalty also didn't call that egregious holding penalty on the LT. The NFL got the outcome it wanted, plain and simple.
So, you see an actual picture with the defender's finger inside the facemask, pulling Rodgers' head around, and admit that it would get called "every time", but then refer to it as the non-facemask call. And then mention someone taking a stand for their rooting interest. And accuse the NFL for fixing the outcome. lol Explain exactly how the league went about this? And how they got the Lion defender to grab the facemask and the defense to not properly cover the hail mary.

Well there's yer problemAND

Here's your review.

Call stands.

Could have called the flagrant hold or the block in the back afterwards. Didn't.

Cowboys playoff game, didn't call the PI. Seahawks, blew the batted ball. Somebody had to be Washington Generals.

We're the bottom rail. Don't like getting ####ed? Claw your way to the top. Don't expect to get bailed out. Don't put yourself in a position where the zebras can make a difference.

Plenty of opportunity to put that game away & they didn't get it done. Lions just need to look in the mirror. They had chances, didn't take control of the game, hoped to survive.

That will be called every single time especially on a QB.

I understand being mad the penalty happened, but being mad that that is a penalty, I cant.
1. He wasn't a QB.

2.There was no grab. It was the lightest of brushes. There was absolutely no grabbing.

If that's what passes for a FM penalty these days, then this league has become even more ####ified than I imagined.

biju said:
BobbyLayne said:
B-Deep said:
JuniorNB said:
biju said:
The Claymaker said:

Well there's yer problem

AND

Here's your review.

Call stands.

Yep. The NFL, whoever that is, wants Green Bay to win beat the Lions. Because why exactly? More money? More fans? More clicks?

Give me a break. If you think it's rigged, quit watching. Because at that point it's wrestling.

Sabertooth said:
biju said:
The Claymaker said:

Yeah because the guy hit Touched his facemask. It was s legit call.
Only in an illegit league is that a legit call.

biju said:
The Claymaker said:
biju said:
The Claymaker said:

Actually, there's only three that do that routinely. Rodgers, Manning, and Brady. I suppose the next thing you'll say is your point stands. Not a bad point.
Three of the best to ever play the game. But you do see where I said, I didn't think it should be called right?

To be honest I don't have a problem with my QB doing anything inside the rules of the game to try and win, in fact it makes me think that much more of Rodgers. To add to the play I have never been tackled by a 300 pound guy who accidentally grazed my face mask and pulled me down by neck, but if I had I may be looking for a penalty too. Just saying. :)

NFL should just give the Lions an obligatory Participation Certificate every year, tap them on their heads, and send them on their way....

JuniorNB said:
biju said:
The Claymaker said:

The Lions or any other team need to be able to play past a bad call, BUT any call that extends the game beyond the point where it would rightfully be final should be reviewable. There is far too much at stake to leave it entirely in the hands (and eyes) of a single official. If all scoring plays are reviewed then this certainly should be as well.

So if Detroit now beats Seattle on a controversial call (which could have happened earlier this year) then everyone is square, right?

BobbyLayne said:
B-Deep said:
JuniorNB said:
biju said:
The Claymaker said:

Well there's yer problem

AND

Here's your review.

Call stands.
Still photos have a way of misrepresenting what really happened, which is why replay officials use film instead of stills.

biju said:
BobbyLayne said:
B-Deep said:
JuniorNB said:
biju said:
The Claymaker said:

Well there's yer problem

AND

Here's your review.

Call stands.

:goodposting:

Oh by the way, Aaron Rodgers had no where to go on the last timed play. Richard Rodgers threw the ball from the sideline 40 all the way back to AR on the 25. There's no Packers anywhere near him, they're all downfield. He can't throw a lateral. All you've got to do is tackle him but there's not need to panic, he doesn't have any options.

Longtucky Lemmings said:
Full disclosure, I'm a Packers fan.

Not saying this to excuse Caldwell at all on the Hail Mary play but one of the Packers' reporters said this morning that the reason the Lions rushed 3 and didn't have Megatron in on the final play is that Caldwell was expecting a lateral-type play like the play before. Would explain why all defensive players and the two players along the sidelines several yards up.

Again, not saying Caldwell or Cooter deserve a pass on that - perhaps the Packers were intending a lateral play and then, when they saw the the defensive package and alignment audibled to the Hail Mary? Who knows.

I will say this, even if the players on the field and defensive alignment were EXACTLY the same again, I have a hard time believing that play has the same results if they had to repeat it. It really was, as Clay Matthews said, "One for the ages."
They should then be taught that once you see every WR downfield and only beat up linemen left...don't stand on the 40.

biju said:
BobbyLayne said:
B-Deep said:
JuniorNB said:
biju said:
The Claymaker said:

Well there's yer problem

AND

Here's your review.

Call stands.

You keep calling it egregious, but I don't even think it was a regular old holding penalty. What made that a hold?

Two plays earlier, deep down the right sideline, Abbrederis collided with a Lions safety Isa Abdul-Quddus. No flag. I don't care what Mike Carey says in the booth, that was pass interference. It was exactly like the pass interference call earlier in the game when Richard Rodgers was involved. Any Lion fan complaining about calls better recognize that abomination.

JuniorNB said:
biju said:
The Claymaker said:

The Lions or any other team need to be able to play past a bad call, BUT any call that extends the game beyond the point where it would rightfully be final should be reviewable. There is far too much at stake to leave it entirely in the hands (and eyes) of a single official. If all scoring plays are reviewed then this certainly should be as well.
I doubt it would have been overturned anyway. Although his hand did slip down to the shoulder pad, the finger was inside the facemask long enough to jerk Rodgers' head. A no call wouldn't have been overturned either. Not enough evidence either way.

BobbyLayne said:
biju said:
BobbyLayne said:
B-Deep said:
JuniorNB said:
biju said:
The Claymaker said:

Here's your review.

Call stands.

Could have called the flagrant hold or the block in the back afterwards. Didn't.

Cowboys playoff game, didn't call the PI. Seahawks, blew the batted ball. Somebody had to be Washington Generals.

We're the bottom rail. Don't like getting ####ed? Claw your way to the top. Don't expect to get bailed out. Don't put yourself in a position where the zebras can make a difference.

Plenty of opportunity to put that game away & they didn't get it done. Lions just need to look in the mirror. They had chances, didn't take control of the game, hoped to survive.
Buddy, I just want to compliment you on your overall outlook on things. I first noticed during the week of the Lions/Eagles game. You look at things without bias, I never hear you whine and complain about the refs, and I never see you rag on other team's fans. Just wanted to give credit where credit is due. You're one of the board's best posters. :thumbup:

JuniorNB said:
biju said:
BobbyLayne said:
B-Deep said:
JuniorNB said:
biju said:
The Claymaker said:

Here's your review.

Call stands.

So, you see an actual picture with the defender's finger inside the facemask, pulling Rodgers' head around, and admit that it would get called "every time", but then refer to it as the non-facemask call. And then mention someone taking a stand for their rooting interest. And accuse the NFL for fixing the outcome. lol Explain exactly how the league went about this? And how they got the Lion defender to grab the facemask and the defense to not properly cover the hail mary.
And don't forget this mysterious holding penalty that was missed that, apparently, he was the only one to see.

Two plays earlier, deep down the right sideline, Abbrederis collided with a Lions safety Isa Abdul-Quddus. No flag. I don't care what Mike Carey says in the booth, that was pass interference. It was exactly like the pass interference call earlier in the game when Richard Rodgers was involved. Any Lion fan complaining about calls better recognize that abomination.
Another ex ref caled it PI. Made contact before he turned his head.

Incorrect. Abdul ran into Abbrederis while both were going for the ball. No foul.

Users who are viewing this thread