What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****Official Green Bay Packers Draft Thread**** (1 Viewer)

From NFL.com...Pat Kirwan's Analysis The kid does not know how lucky he is -- the pain of today will be gone soon. I spend my Sundays with Dan Marino, who went 25th in the draft, and he never forgot about it and had a pretty good career. The Packers just found Brett Favre's replacement. He's athletic, creates like Favre did when he was young, and the Tedford system does teach him to read and release the ball. This is the steal of the draft for the Packers.Brandt on Rodgers: Every year there's a player that for some reason falls. This is too good a player to be drafted this low, and I think he's a young guy (21 years old) who has a chance to really be a part of that franchise for a long time to come.

FWIW, John Donovans analysis from CNNSI.comWe oughta talk about giving the Rolaids Relief Man Award to Rodgers. Finally, eh? It's not a bad situation for Rodgers, of course, going to the Packers, watching Favre work (because, remember, Favre is always working), going to a place that will love him. Well, there's the weather, of course. And the millions of dollars lost. And we have no idea who will be there to help Rodgers once Favre finally steps aside. But, all in all, if I had to choose who would be a consistent winner first -- Rodgers or No. 1 pick Alex Smith in San Francisco -- I'd go with Rodgers in Green Bay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I have done some thinking and since the people I wanted drafted were gone I am easing on this draft pick. It certaintly did not fill a glaring need as of right now but neither has our other QB situations as we know them. Hence, if we had confirmation that this was Favre's last year, X-fingers and hoping not, then hopefully this kid is smart enough and willing to learn from the best in the game. Also, Rodgers is going to have 13+ years of tape to watch of Favre as well as watch up close and personal. So, if he does not pick up on anything in this coming season then we know he aint the answer. Not like we will ever have a better answer but I still truly feel the Packers are the ones to beat in the North in 2005. Waiting for picks 51 & 58... hoping Starks from Wisconsin is on the board for our 3rd rounder if not one of our 2nds. It appears our needs are becoming thiner as time goes on as the draft has shifted to the defensive side of the ball lately.

I think this is a nice pick. They can groom him along the lines of McNair without pressure.

Does it help them this year? Probably not. But being in a position to take a potential franchise quarterback at #24 while Favre is still playing is a special opportunity. Do you remember the dark days before Favre???
Hey, I liked Don Majkowski...He was an awesome fantasy QB in 198916 games 353/599 for 4318 yards, 27 TDs with 20 interceptions, with 75/358/5 rushing -- what's not to like... well, OK, the fact that he never threw for 2000+ yards or 11+ TDs in all his subsequent seasons might have soured some fantasy owners on Majkowski :P But it was awesome to be a Majkowski owner in 1989!

My sheet shows Collins being a second day pick.

nice report here

"not very physical"

"tackling is questionable"

"will need a lot of work"

"developmental prospect"

sounds like Joey Thomas - guy should fit in perfectly

I was sure they were going to take Blackstock or Cody.

expecting another Mr. Pack rant here

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it me or were there better prospects on the board??
I remember thinking the same thing when they picked Barnett. Nearly :X with Bailey AND Henderson on the board. Jury is still out, but I won't pass judgement on this pick just yet.

That Barnes looks like a winner... why not him? I know the line is not a glaring problem but a higher tiered CB would have been a better option... on paper for sure. Why no safeties yet? Geez

That's gotta be a Sherman pick. I'm surprised he didn't move up to take the guy.Where'd the vike smilie go? :(

Well that was an underwhelming. I don't know if a project CB is what this team should be going for. I would've preferred Dan Cody. The Collins pick doesn't impress me right now.

Well that was an underwhelming. I don't know if a project CB is what this team should be going for. I would've preferred Dan Cody. The Collins pick doesn't impress me right now.
Maybe he can punt...

The biggest problem with the Collins pick is it also devalues the Rogers pick. What helps make the Rogers pick worthwhile is if Thompson finds some quality defensive players later. He still can do that obviously but now he passes on Cody and Miller and takes a project. It also should be pointed out that Frye, who the Packers reportedly liked a lot, was there at 51 as well. So the Packers could have gone defense in the first round and still gotten a possible successor for Favre on the first day. Thompson better make it count from here on out because the Collins pick has made the Rogers pick look real shaky.

A WR in the second round? On a team that already has Walker, Driver an Ferguson (who admittedly I don't like much). Wow. I'm officially stunned. I'm outta here. This isn't looking good for Thompson's first draft at all.

A WR in the second round? On a team that already has Walker, Driver an Ferguson (who admittedly I don't like much). Wow. I'm officially stunned. I'm outta here. This isn't looking good for Thompson's first draft at all.
Maybe he can punt...

Bates must see some diamonds on that defense that he can mold into something otherwise we all are going to see what we saw last year and that is a bunch of fool's gold. UGH!!

I'm glad the Pack have now answered their glaring need for a 5th string WR.What's the deal here? I thought Sherman wasn't GM anymore.

Man, I was really excited about the Rodgers pick, in spite of the defense is a must for this draft. But this is just not acceptable at all.Picks passed up: Justin Miller (CB), Dan Cody (DE).If they could have gotten Miller, Cody and Blackstock or Crowder, and possibly even Hawthorne late, they'd have hit each part of their defense with young talent.Then again, that would make sense and that's just not what the draft is all about. :rolleyes:

44. WR Terrence Murphy, Texas A&M, 6-foot-0 7/8, 202 pounds, 4.39 in the 40: An impressive looking specimen, really cut, looks the part. For all his speed and explosion, best part of his game might be the manner in which he sets up defenders, and his innate feel for the game. Has an uncanny spatial instinct and great vision. Strong in open field.

link

I'm baffled by this pick though. This seems to be an area of strength for Green Bay. Perhaps they expect to have difficulty signing Walker, or they are giving up on Ferguson? Does this guy have special teams ability?

Man, I was really excited about the Rodgers pick, in spite of the defense is a must for this draft. But this is just not acceptable at all.

Picks passed up: Justin Miller (CB), Dan Cody (DE).

If they could have gotten Miller, Cody and Blackstock or Crowder, and possibly even Hawthorne late, they'd have hit each part of their defense with young talent.

Then again, that would make sense and that's just not what the draft is all about. :rolleyes:
:goodposting:

Simply stunning :X Let's see. Come out of Round 2 with Cody and Blackstock or Collins (a reach at CB/S) and a WR!?!?!? :yucky:

Maybe Fergie is not coming along too good. There have also been whispers about a possible Walker holdout.
At this point isn't half the squad planning on holding out?

It's a hard thing to accept boys, but the Packers are beginning to rebuild. I accepted that when Rodgers was taken. We're not going to compete for the Super Bowl this season. It'll be a stretch to make the playoffs. Sherman will be gone after this year and the rebuilding will continue.Let's allow Thomson to get through his first draft before going totally insane.

Quote from Packers GM, "If there was anything I learned from Ron Wolf, it was to not draft based on need. You draft based on best players available and fill need other ways. Ron said everytime he drafted on need, he always regretted it."

It's a hard thing to accept boys, but the Packers are beginning to rebuild.

I accepted that when Rodgers was taken. We're not going to compete for the Super Bowl this season. It'll be a stretch to make the playoffs. Sherman will be gone after this year and the rebuilding will continue.

Let's allow Thomson to get through his first draft before going totally insane.
Hard to accept? The offense is just fine and the defense is swiss cheese with a couple of gems (KGB and Barnett). You'd think right away adding Justin Miller at CB to go with Al Harris, Dan Cody to go with KGB or Blackstack or Crowder to go with Barnett, would surely cure a lot of what ails the Packer defense. How you fill those holes with a D1-2a corner and a 4th receiver is completely beyond me.

Quote from Packers GM, "If there was anything I learned from Ron Wolf, it was to not draft based on need. You draft based on best players available and fill need other ways. Ron said everytime he drafted on need, he always regretted it."
The best player available in the 2nd round was from Bethune-Cookman? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

:horns:

:X That about sums up this drafting.

:bag:

It's a hard thing to accept boys, but the Packers are beginning to rebuild. 

I accepted that when Rodgers was taken.  We're not going to compete for the Super Bowl this season.  It'll be a stretch to make the playoffs.  Sherman will be gone after this year and the rebuilding will continue.

Let's allow Thomson to get through his first draft before going totally insane.
Hard to accept? The offense is just fine and the defense is swiss cheese with a couple of gems (KGB and Barnett). You'd think right away adding Justin Miller at CB to go with Al Harris, Dan Cody to go with KGB or Blackstack or Crowder to go with Barnett, would surely cure a lot of what ails the Packer defense. How you fill those holes with a D1-2a corner and a 4th receiver is completely beyond me.
And the minute Miller gets arrested again or Cody quits because he's depressed, you'd be right back here wondering why in the world we would have picked these guys with the warning signs right in front of us. Is no one acknowledging the risks with these guys? You may say the risk is lessened at that point in the 2nd round. Perhaps. But again, the sooner everyone comes to grips with a franchise that needs to regroup, the saner we all will be. It's done wonders for me today.

OK I couldn't stay away completely. :DA few things:1) Thompson is 100 percent correct with the idea that it can be a mistake to reach for need. I don't have a problem with that. However, I do have a concern when your draft board says the top player on the board in the 2nd round is a major project CB when there at least two more highly regarded players (Miller and Cody) both available. The medical concerns with Cody are legitimate, but how is he more of a risk than Collins? Most of the analysis I've seen on Collins had him being a 3rd-round pick. So I'd say Thompson is taking a bigger risk with him than Collins or Miller would have been. And if you really liked Collins, the chances were pretty good he would've been there at 58. So you could've grabbed Cody or Miller at 51 and then come back with Collins if you wanted. 2) With regard to rebuilding: I see no reason why the Packers should go into full-scale rebuilding mode at this time. They continue to be one of the best teams in the NFC (their success in the salary-cap era has truly been impressive when you think about it) and their offense is one of the most potent in the NFL. Obviously the defense is putrid and based on the way things are going so far in the draft it's going to stay that way this season. There was absolutely no reason to think the Packers would struggle to make the playoffs when they've had very little difficulty making the playoffs for most of the past decade. The playoffs have been given, success in the playoffs was going to be determined by the improvements the team made defensively in the off-season. So far, other than hiring a new coordinator who I really like, the improvements have yet to be seen. The only thing that will push the Packers into serious rebuilding mode is an inability to make the necessary improvements to a proven playoff team. I'm not going "insane" and I'm well aware of the pitfalls you can enounter when you reach for need (Jamal Reynolds springs to mind as does Ron Wolf's misguided CB-CB-CB run in the 98 draft), but you do have to address your weaknesses and improve them. Given the Packers' lack of cap room and Thompson's admitted disdain for being a major player in free agency, the Packers' improvements on the defensive side had to come from this year's draft. I think it's fair to say that by taking 2 offensive players with his first 3 picks (where you expected the top contributions to come from with this year's rookie class) Thompson has opened himself up to a world of second guessing.

Wow - funny timing. Just showed on ESPN that it was GB's 3rd rounder for 2 of Carolina's 4th rounders...Good to see the Pack stockpiling picks so they have more chances to frustrate us fans... :rolleyes:

What was the trade w/ Carolina - anyone know? :wall:
Seeing how this draft is going so far I wouldn't be surprised if they just traded their third for Carolina's fourth, straight up :rolleyes:

Guys this truly made my night. Thank you for the comedy today. At least your team made their picks. Of course they could have waited a few hours into the draft tommorow before jumping on Collins.I personally thought Rodgers was a great value at 24 but the picks after that were hilarious. Long live Ted Thompson.

Guys this truly made my night. Thank you for the comedy today. At least your team made their picks. Of course they could have waited a few hours into the draft tommorow before jumping on Collins.

I personally thought Rodgers was a great value at 24 but the picks after that were hilarious. Long live Ted Thompson.
They did the right thing with Rodgers. Then it was like they felt they had to try and show up all the experts and draft like a bunch of morons. I'm at a complete loss on this draft so far. I fully support the pick of Rodgers but from there they must have been passing the bong.

They did the right thing with Rodgers. Then it was like they felt they had to try and show up all the experts and draft like a bunch of morons. I'm at a complete loss on this draft so far. I fully support the pick of Rodgers but from there they must have been passing the bong.
That about sums it up. :goodposting:

1. The Rodgers pick is not what I was hoping for, but once he was there I accepted it and will be happy with him taking over for Favre in a couple years.

2. The Collins pick seems ridiculous to us, but we don't have inside knowledge of NFL team workings. Maybe other teams were considering taking him despite what the mockers thought, and maybe the Packers just felt so highly of him that they didn't want to take the chances with letting him fall any farther. Also, I'm not sure why he was listed at cornerback, but the Packers plan on starting him at free safety. link

3. The Murphy pick is harder to explain. Though Chatman was improving as a fourth receiver, he certainly was a mediocre option at best. It was pretty scary when we were down to two healthy receivers, showing how bad our depth there actually is. Also, it doesn't hurt to have someone pushing Ferguson and Driver for that starting spot opposite Walker. It seems similar to the Mike Williams pick by Detroit; this guy isn't at a position of dire need, but maybe he's just the thing to push our offense into the Indianapolis echelon. He also should help in the return game, where Chatman has done practically nothing to prove his worth, other than being the best fair-catcher in the NFC. link

4. Trading down seems like a great idea here. We still have a couple positions where it would be nice to get some contributors before the draft is over, and perhaps the Packers felt like while they would be reaching for any particular player in the third round, there would be plenty of depth there at several need positions in the fourth round. Remember that we've had quite a history of getting starters in later rounds, and this draft could be no exception.

The point is that there is no way you can judge this draft right now. You might have a good idea of how it went after tomorrow, its worth might become more apparent once the new players get acquainted with the team during the preseason and season, but we won't really know how successful it was for a couple years. Let's give the team some credit and see what happens; the management is not here to run the team into the ground, and I'm sure they've already gone over any concerns we might have with the team or the picks 100 times. So let's be patient.

Hey, in 1992 we traded our 1st round pick for a guy who was a 2nd round pick the previous season and did nothing notable except miss the team picture. That turned out okay.

Aaron Rodgers may be a bust, but the risk/reward ratio is so strong that you have to take a shot at him. It may take several more shots to find a guy near the level of Favre.

Just to remind you, these are some of the QBs that started before Favre.

Blair Kiel

Don Majkowski

Mike Tomczak

Anthony Dilweg

Randy Wright

Vince Ferragamo

Chuck Fusina

Jim Zorn

Lynn Dickey (the best of this list)

Rich Campbell

David Whitehurst
I humblely disagree. Don "the Magic Man" Majkowski was by far the best of that sorry 'I Love the 80's' bunch. The Magic Man went on a tear one year with a 3 or 4 game winning streak.

Users who are viewing this thread