What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****Official Green Bay Packers Draft Thread**** (1 Viewer)

Hey, in 1992 we traded our 1st round pick for a guy who was a 2nd round pick the previous season and did nothing notable except miss the team picture.  That turned out okay.

Aaron Rodgers may be a bust, but the risk/reward ratio is so strong that you have to take a shot at him.  It may take several more shots to find a guy near the level of Favre.

Just to remind you, these are some of the QBs that started before Favre.

Blair Kiel   

Don Majkowski   

Mike Tomczak

Anthony Dilweg   

Randy Wright 

Vince Ferragamo 

Chuck Fusina     

Jim Zorn 

Lynn Dickey (the best of this list)

Rich Campbell 

David Whitehurst
I humblely disagree. Don "the Magic Man" Majkowski was by far the best of that sorry 'I Love the 80's' bunch. The Magic Man went on a tear one year with a 3 or 4 game winning streak.
BTW, you did forget about Mark Brunell. His turnovers in a late 80's, or early 90's game versusthe Vikes was monumental in winning a divisional title.

Here's something to look at and pray for in hopes of the Packers getting their heads removed from their asses in the fourth round and beyond. So here's a list of the standout players left among the front seven.

++ DEFENSIVE END

BILL SWANCUTT, OREGON STATE (6-4, 265, 4.8 40)

FR - TACK (15) TFL (3) SACK (3)

SO - TACK (56) TFL (21) SACK (12)

JR - TACK (45) TFL (18) SACK (11)

SR - TACK (65) TFL (19) SACK (12)

JIM DAVIS, VIRGINIA TECH (6-3, 270, 5.0 40)

FR - TACK (28) TFL (6) SACK (4)

SO - TACK (38) TFL (8) SACK (5)

JR - TACK (37) TFL (9) SACK (6)

SR - TACK (28) TFL (12) SACK (5)

BRADY POPPINGA, BRIGHAM YOUNG (6-3, 255, 4.8 40)

FR - TACK (10) TFL (0) SACK (0)

SO - TACK (49) TFL (14) SACK (8)

JR - TACK (55) TFL (13) SACK (6)

SR - TACK (79) TFL (12) SACK (6)

TRENT COLE, CINCINNATI (6-3, 255, 4.8 4)

FR - DID NOT PLAY

SO - TACK (87) TFL (12) SACK (5)

JR - TACK (88) TFL (14) SACK (5)

SR - TACK (68) TFL (22) SACK (9)

RYAN RIDDLE, CALIFORNIA (6-2, 250, 4.7 40)

FR - JUNIOR COLLEGE

SO - JUNIOR COLLEGE

JR - TACK (29) TFL (8) SACK (7)

SR - TACK (48) TFL (19) SACK (15)

++ DEFENSIVE TACKLE

C.J. MOSLEY, MISSOURI (6-3, 305, 5.0 40)

FR - TACK (41) TFL (8) SACK (3)

SO - TACK (67) TFL (16) SACK (6)

JR - TACK (61) TFL (14) SACK (7)

ANTAJJ HAWTHORNE, WISCONSIN (6-3, 310, 5.2 40)

FR - TACK (16) TFL (4) SACK (0)

SO - TACK (68) TFL (7) SACK (2)

JR - TACK (75) TFL (20) SACK (4)

SR - TACK (42) TFL (12) SACK (6)

++ INSIDE LINEBACKER/

LANCE MITCHELL, OKLAHOMA (6-2, 245, 4.8 40)

FR - JUNIOR COLLEGE

SO - JUNIOR COLLEGE

JR - TACK (124) TFL (19) SACK (3) INT (0)

SR - TACK (78) TFL (10) SACK (2) INT (0)

ROBERT McCUNE, LOUISVILLE (6-0, 245, 4.4 40)

FR - TACK (14) TFL (0) SACK (0) INT (0)

SO - TACK (48) TFL (1.5) SACK (0) INT (0)

JR - TACK (143) TFL (5) SACK (4) INT (1)

SR - TACK (115) TFL (4) SACK (2) INT (1)

RYAN CLARIDGE, UNLV (6-3, 255, 4.7 40)

FR - TACK (59) TFL (3) SACK (2) INT (0)

SO - TACK (71) TFL (8) SACK (2) INT (0)

JR - TACK (76) TFL (12) SACK (5.5) INT (2)

SR - TACK (87) TFL (15) SACK (9) INT (0)

++ OUTSIDE LINEBACKER

MICHAEL BOLEY, SOUTHERN MISS (6-3, 230, 4.7 40)

FR - TACK (5) TFL (1) SACK (1) INT (1)

SO - TACK (142) TFL (16) SACK (8) INT (1)

JR - TACK (151) TFL (22.5) SACK (11) INT (0)

SR - TACK (125) TFL (20) SACK (9) INT (2)

RIAN WALLACE, TEMPLE, (6-2, 245, 4.7 40)

FR - TACK (75) TFL (6.5) SACK (1) INT (1)

SO - TACK (148) TFL (19.5) SACK (1) INT (0)

JR - TACK (101) TFL (5.5) SACK (0) INT (1)

JAMES KINNEY, MISSOURI, (6-0, 240, 4.5 40)

FR - TACK (27) TFL (2) SACK (1) INT (0)

SO - TACK (148) TFL (11) SACK (6) INT (1)

JR - TACK (147) TFL (7) SACK (1) INT (1)

SR - TACK (112) TFL (5) SACK (1) INT (0)

RONALD STANLEY, MICHIGAN STATE, (6-0, 235, 4.7 40)

FR - TACK (43) TFL (3) SACK (2) INT (0)

SO - TACK (99) TFL (9) SACK (2) INT (0)

JR - TACK (101) TFL (6) SACK (1) INT (0)

SR - TACK (125) TFL (9) SACK (2) INT (0)

LeROY HILL, CLEMSON, (6-1, 225, 4.7 40)

FR - TACK (31) TFL (1) SACK (0) INT (0)

SO - TACK (29) TFL (1) SACK (0) INT (0)

JR - TACK (145) TFL (27) SACK (8) INT (3)

SR - TACK (106) TFL (19) SACK (8) INT (0)

I am not as down as the Pack's picks as some of you are. There are always surprises in the draft as to position the players were selected, both good and bad. We just have to wait to see how it all pans out. We go by what the media feeds us and our "friend" Mel Kipper, Jr.. However, there always are those that were drafted late that pan out, Jerry Rice, and those that are drafted high that don't, Ryan Leaf.The Rodgers pick was just unbelievable to me that he was still there at #24. The other two picks would not be who I would want, but I also did not go to the combines or to the players school to check him out.At least the Packers didn't draft a kicker with their first pick LOL :o

++ DEFENSIVE ENDBRADY POPPINGA, BRIGHAM YOUNG (6-3, 255, 4.8 40)FR - TACK (10) TFL (0) SACK (0)SO - TACK (49) TFL (14) SACK (8)JR - TACK (55) TFL (13) SACK (6)SR - TACK (79) TFL (12) SACK (6)
Probably play OLB?Looks like they traded 126 for 167,175 and 245.

++ DEFENSIVE END

He's on the Packers live audio feed now. Sounds like an OLB for sure.

++ DEFENSIVE END

Ridiculous. Thompson must be trying to reinvent the wheel here, because we all know how many great players come out of the 6th and 7th rounds. :rolleyes: What an effed up draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
++ DEFENSIVE END

Ridiculous. Thompson must be trying to reinvent the wheel here, because we all know how many great players come out of the 6th and 7th rounds. :rolleyes: What an effed up draft.
And we all know you can evaluate a draft before the 2nd day is even over :rolleyes:

I am not as down as the Pack's picks as some of you are. There are always surprises in the draft as to position the players were selected, both good and bad. We just have to wait to see how it all pans out. We go by what the media feeds us and our "friend" Mel Kipper, Jr.. However, there always are those that were drafted late that pan out, Jerry Rice, and those that are drafted high that don't, Ryan Leaf.
Jerry Rice was a 1st round pick...

This is idiotic.

Bye bye Brett

This obviously shows him they aren't concerned with winning in the near future. Might as well trade him and give him a chance to win another title.

This will all be null and void of course if Rodgers is actually a closet DE.

Stupid asses

Oh no. Pack just drafted a dreaded "no link, no bio" guy. At least on NFL.com.31 167 Green Bay (from Philadelphia) Hawkins, Michael CB 6-1 175 OklahomaAny Sooner fans got the skinny on him?

This is idiotic.

Bye bye Brett

This obviously shows him they aren't concerned with winning in the near future. Might as well trade him and give him a chance to win another title.

Stupid asses
Basically everything he's said in this thread has been stupid...

Oh no. Pack just drafted a dreaded "no link, no bio" guy. At least on NFL.com.

31 167 Green Bay (from Philadelphia) Hawkins, Michael CB 6-1 175 Oklahoma

Any Sooner fans got the skinny on him?
He's the 69th ranked CB on GBN :lol:

This is idiotic.

Bye bye Brett

Stupid asses
You should probably look in the mirror #######

This is idiotic.

Bye bye Brett

Stupid asses
You should probably look in the mirror #######
Yeah, alright.... anyways anyone else know more about this Hawkins guy

Oh no. Pack just drafted a dreaded "no link, no bio" guy. At least on NFL.com.

31 167 Green Bay (from Philadelphia) Hawkins, Michael CB 6-1 175 Oklahoma

Any Sooner fans got the skinny on him?
He's the 69th ranked CB on GBN :lol:
Scout on Packer live feed (Alonso Highsmith?) is reporting that he was raised by his high school coach, parents not part of the picture. Couldn't handle the pressure of Oklahoma without anyone to lean on. Played as a true freshman.He ranks him very high as an athlete. 4.3 40 kid. Plays(ed) with the Dallas arena team.

Doesn't drink, smoke, etc. Compared to Donald Driver in terms of work ethic, drive to succeed.

Admits he is a project.

Yeah, alright.... anyways anyone else know more about this Hawkins guy
Yea, He sounds like an all pro in the making
In his only year of collegiate football (2002), Hawkins saw action in five games for the Sooners as a true freshman. He recorded five tackles, a pass defensed and an interception, which he returned 45 yards for a touchdown.

He made an impression on the Arena Football League's Dallas Desperados coaching staff at the team's 2004 open tryouts they just couldn't shake. As a result, Hawkins had a chance to make his professional football debut in the AFL after signing with Dallas on Dec. 30, 2003.

He is a raw cornerback that displays the potential to be a solid professional football player and will continue to develop.
:rolleyes:

Looks like they just gave Oakland the 175 pick. Nothing in return as of yet.Teddy the wheeler and dealer.Edit: And Oakland grabs Hawthorne. Been waiting for him to go. Slipped alot due to the drug problem.Pack gets 195 and 246 from N.E., who traded 175 to Oakland.

Their getting 195 and 246 per packers.com
They also got the roster of every CFL team.There's some diamonds to be hand in the great white north, eh?

Ridiculous. Thompson must be trying to reinvent the wheel here, because we all know how many great players come out of the 6th and 7th rounds. :rolleyes:
From the Wolf era, the following players were drafted in the 6th or 7th rounds:1992: Mark Chmura (6th)

1993: Doug Evans (6th)

1995: Adam Timmerman (7th)

1996: Marco Rivera (6th)

1997: Keith McKenzie (7th)

1997: Jerald Sowell (7th)

1998: Matt Hasselbeck (6th)

1999: Donald Driver (7th)

2000: Mark Tauscher (7th)

So Wolf was able to find an average of one player per year in those final two rounds who has gone on to become a productive players in the NFL. I'm pretty sure there were folks such as yourself who thought the guys on this list were worthless too when they were drafted.

Just curious, what round was Tom Brady drafted in?

Nice to see the Packers upgrading at their two weakest positions: QB and WR

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
I'm not going to pretend I'm enamored with this draft, but it takes a lot of stones for a Bears fan to mock the Packers -- or just about any other NFL team to be honest. Seriously, you better get your own house in order before you go into somebody else's and tell them how much it stinks. Know what I mean?

Nice to see the Packers upgrading at their two weakest positions:  QB and WR

:lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:
I'm not going to pretend I'm enamored with this draft, but it takes a lot of stones for a Bears fan to mock the Packers -- or just about any other NFL team to be honest. Seriously, you better get your own house in order before you go into somebody else's and tell them how much it stinks. Know what I mean?
I have no idea what you're trying to say, as I'm mesmerized by your avatar. NICE! :thumbup:

Ted Thompson is a joke. :lmao: With this draft it looks like Green Bay will switch to 2-3-6 defence and a 5 wr set offense. :lmao: Rodgers and Murphy were actually good value picks, but WTF? Collins, Underware, Poppinga, :lmao: I have flashes of the movie Major League going on in my head when the managment guys ask "Who are the ####### guys?" and the chinesse dudes saying "They're ####ty" :lmao: 2005 Brett Favre fairwell tour. :stillers: 8-8 at best but Madden and the other announcers will make it sound like a 12-4 season. :popcorn:

Oh come on Kev. I'm sure you never made a wise crack when Minnesota forgot to pick or Chicago drafted Haynes or Grossman or Colombo or Terrell or McNown or Enis or so on and so forth.Greenbay is not having a good draft IMO and I am loving it. I think the Rodgers pick was a good one but after that I am loving it. This may be a great draft in 4 years but if you are here then you want to analyze now.

As far as how the division is going to shape up, the Packers will still have one of the most potent offenses in the league so that's a huge advantage for them. The defense clearly looks like a major issue again but it remains to be seen how improved the Vikings and Lions (who also have major defensive issues) will be. On paper, the Vikings appear to have addressed some things but we'll see how it plays out. The Vikings also must demonstrate they can win without Moss and prove they can overcome their own often futile head coach. The Lions, meanwhile, may be held back by a QB who thus far has not proven he can be a legitimate starter in this league. They also have a talented core of skill position players but nearly all of them have durability issues (in some cases like Rogers major durability issues). The NFC North is far from settled folks and while I'm not going to sit here and pretend the Packers are going to dominate it, the fact remains they've been the best team in the division for several years and they remain the team everyone else in the division has to displace. Saying it can be done is one thing, but actually doing it is another. We'll see what transpires.

I'm still trying to find info on Collins, Underware, and Poopinga and all I found was that all were projected to be 7th round picks or free agent signings.BPA eh Ted? Great value there! :thumbup:

Wow... I just saw the Jim Bates press conference, Miami's old defensive coordinator who is taking over the same job in Green Bay. Granted, it is his job to be positive, but he sounded sincerely happy with Green Bay's depth at defensive line. He stated that the depth was the best he has seen, particularly at tackle, and he presided over some impressively stout defenses at Miami. He sounds confident that the quarterback pressure will be fine. He views Nick Barnett staying at MLB, playing the role of Zach Thomas. The common denominator of the DB draft picks is speed. I have a comment about Minnesota as well. It strikes me that Minnesota is signing names instead of signing football players. If the signing of Darren Sharper is any indication of the quality of their other signings, they are signing guys that sound better than they really are. This is not to say Minnesota won't be strong. However, their offseason that is earning them kudos sounds overrated to me. They will also miss how much Moss stretched the field for them... they won't get to play 10 v. 9 on offense anymore.Detroit will be depending on Joey Harrington or an aging Jeff Garcia at quarterback. Chicago is still Chicago. The best QB on their roster might be LaFors, and I think Cedric Benson will turn out to be Curtis Enis, part 2. I like Green Bay's chances to contend in the NFC Norris Division once again.

Even though the Packers didn't really need WR's, getting Murphy at #58 and Bragg at #195 were good value. Much better than the Dikes taking Troy (Travis Taylor II) Williamson at #7. Kind of ironic and funny that they have the original Travis Taylor as well. :lmao:

This may be a great draft in 4 years but if you are here then you want to analyze now.
Which is an exercise in futility.Everyone gets so caught up in grading these things immediately.Kiper, et al. are not the final authority on scouting. It's FAR from an exact science and just because some services have a guy ranked higher or lower doesn't mean jack squat.You always want your team to take the "hype", talked about guy. It's puzzling sometimes when they go a different direction, but they have tons of scouts and hours of research spent on this and pick the guys THEY want. The talking head will keep talking. Let these guys at least get mini-camp and training camp in before making brash statements.

Im friends with Kurt Cambell, went to HS with him and have known him for a while now. The kids pretty freken big for a S. Besides his size and speed, he has great HEART and sportsmanship. Your not getting some thug/loudmouth! This kid will do everything in his will to earn a starting spot, whether thats soon or later, only time will tell. Ive played some flag-football with him he gots skill.I remember he was telling me when he visited the Giants last year for something and Will Allen noticed him out of all th other ppl there and started doing some friendly jawing with Kurt. lolWill Allen was like damn you big, what position you play. Kurt was like yours, im here to take it. Will was like aright aright i like your attitude.

First off, rip me if you will, I'm a long-time Viking fan, but I don't ten to be biased here.I don't understand the logic of the Packers draft this year. Yes, I can see the temptation of taking Rodgers with your first pick, considering he could have been the top pick, but where exactly did you help yourselves afterwards in getting more speed at linebacker, some safety help and OL help?Sorry guys but it's going to be a long year for you I feel.

First off, rip me if you will, I'm a long-time Viking fan, but I don't ten to be biased here.

I don't understand the logic of the Packers draft this year. Yes, I can see the temptation of taking Rodgers with your first pick, considering he could have been the top pick, but where exactly did you help yourselves afterwards in getting more speed at linebacker, some safety help and OL help?

Sorry guys but it's going to be a long year for you I feel.
Thompson in this draft was drafting who he felt was best available, not biggest need. Hopefully down the road this will have turned out to be the right move.

Anyone know where we can get a list of past drafts that Ron Wolf did? And, I am not talking simply drafting but say in 1995 we needed some help on D-Line or in the linebacker position and Wolf ended up drafting CB's, WR's, and QB's. You know what I mean? Where can we compare what we needed at the time and what was drafted at the time. Good ole Fritz (RIP) worked wonders with some minor talent, and I say minor because although Evans, Newsome, and other positions back there were good it was because of the D-Line. Those players that left ended up being nothing without the system. Just wondering if we have a place where we can compare "need" and "want".

I actually thought Thompson did better on the second day than the first day. He got some athletes with upside, addressed some needs and may be able to find some players to step in and contribute -- at least on special teams initially. Time will tell obviously. A lot of people are saying Rodgers is going to make or break this draft, but I disagree. I think it will be Collins. He was the one defensive player taken on the first day and he's going to be thrust into a starting role at safety immediately. He has to produce something since Rodgers obviously won't play right away and it's doubtful Murphy will on offense (although he could take over the return man role which was another glaring need that few people talked about which was a mistake). It's really hard to grade this draft because it's unlikely we're going to see much in the way of immediate results. For those in need of immediate grades the Packers will probably get a lot of Ds and possibly some Fs as well (although the Rodgers pick may spare them receiving a complete failing grade). But longterm possibly the grade will rise into the C area, maybe C+. I think Thompson may have found some players, but I'm not sure he found any real standouts, but again we'll see.The bottom line is that for this season, the Packers still have a lot of work to do defensively. Unless Bates is a miracle worker that unit is still missing players who can even be competent, much less make a noticeable (positive) impact.

sts911911, drafting the best player available method went out the door years ago. Thanks to the salary cap era plus the high contract demands of many 1st rounders, teams now draft best available athlete that fills a need. Teams can't afford to pay out $10 million + signing bonuses to players who sit on the bench. Rookies need to contribute right away. Having said that, I do think getting Rodgers with your first pick is a questionable pick especially since players picked later on, were considered #1) reaches on the most part and/or 2) didn't fill needs.All other teams in the division improved themselves greatly, especially for 2005.

sts911911, drafting the best player available method went out the door years ago. Thanks to the salary cap era plus the high contract demands of many 1st rounders, teams now draft best available athlete that fills a need. Teams can't afford to pay out $10 million + signing bonuses to players who sit on the bench. Rookies need to contribute right away.
Just curious, how did guys like Chad Pennington, Carson Palmer and Willis McGahee do in their rookie seasons?TIA.

First off, rip me if you will, I'm a long-time Viking fan, but I don't ten to be biased here.

I don't understand the logic of the Packers draft this year.  Yes, I can see the temptation of taking Rodgers with your first pick, considering he could have been the top pick, but where exactly did you help yourselves afterwards in getting more speed at linebacker, some safety help and OL help?

Sorry guys but it's going to be a long year for you I feel.
Raynoch Thompson helped add speed at LB. They also resigned Navies and Poppinga could figure in the mix there as well. There is still the possibility of adding Anthony Simmons and/or Chad Brown in the mix as well. As far as safeties, they drafted 3 of them and signed two within the last week. And also took Coston who is a very versatile player on the offensive line. Coach Beightol has a history of taking later round guys and turning them into players. Even last year the Packers line had zero first rounders on it.

For what its worth, there is a writer for the Dallas Morning News named Rick Gosselin who is known as somewhat of a NFL draft guru. His mocks are frequently referred to and he was mentioned in Peter King's pre-draft MMQB as a required resource for draft day (together with Dr. Z - go figure).

Anyway, here is Gosselin's pre-draft top 100:

RICK GOSSELIN'S TOP 100

1-10

Rank Player Pos. School

1. Ronnie Brown HB Auburn

2. Braylon Edwards WR Michigan

3. Carnell Williams HB Auburn

4. Alex Smith QB Utah

5. Cedric Benson HB Texas

6. Antrel Rolle CB Miami-F

7. Adam Jones CB West Virginia

8. Aaron Rodgers QB Cal - Packers pick at #24

9. Derrick Johnson OLB Texas

10. Carlos Rogers CB Auburn

11-20

Rank Player Pos. School

11. Erasmus James DE Wisconsin

12. Demarcus Ware OLB Troy

13. Troy Williamson WR South Carolina

14. Thomas Davis S Georgia

15. Marcus Spears DE LSU

16. Mike Williams WR Southern Cal

17. Shawne Merriman DE Maryland

18. Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma

19. Jammal Brown OT Oklahoma

20. David Pollack DE Georgia

21-30

Rank Player Pos. School

21. Alex Barron OT Florida State

22. Jason Campbell QB Auburn

23. Justin Miller CB/KR Clemson

24. Khalif Barnes OT Washington

25. Chris Spencer C Mississippi

26. Roddy White WR Alabama-Birmingham

27. Travis Johnson DT Florida State

28. Fabian Washington CB Nebraska

29. Heath Miller TE Virginia

30. Brodney Pool S Oklahoma

31-40

Rank Player Pos. School

31. Marlin Jackson CB Michigan

32. Odell Thurman MLB Georgia

33. Marcus Johnson G/T Mississippi

34. Matt Roth DE Iowa

35. Reggie Brown WR Georgia

36. Shaun Cody DT Southern Cal

37. Mike Patterson DT Southern Cal

38. Vernand Morency HB Oklahoma State

39. Jonathan Babineaux DT Iowa

40. Matt Jones WR Arkansas

41-50

Rank Player Pos. School

41. Dan Cody DE Oklahoma

42. Luis Castillo DT Northwestern

43. Terrence Murphy WR Texas A&M - Packers pick at #58

44. Logan Mankins G Fresno State

45. Kevin Burnett OLB Tennessee

46. Bryant McFadden CB Florida State

47. Jason Tuck DE Notre Dame

48. Andrew Walter QB Arizona State

49. J.J. Arrington HB Cal

50. Barrett Rudd MLB Nebraska

51-60

Rank Player Pos. School

51. Michael Roos OT Eastern Washington

52. Eric Green CB Virginia Tech

53. Vincent Jackson WR Northern Colorado

54. David Baas C/G Michigan

55. Stanford Routt CB Houston

56. Alex Smith TE Stanford

57. Corey Webster CB LSU

58. David Greene QB Georgia

59. Adam Terry OT Syracuse

60. Courtney Roby WR Indiana

61-70

Rank Player Pos. School

61. Charlie Frye QB Akron

62. Kirk Morrison MLB San Diego State

63. Mike Nugent K Ohio State

64. Darryl Blackstock OLB Virginia

65. Mark Bradley WR Oklahoma

66. Josh Bullocks S Nebraska

67. Chris Colmer OT North Carolina State

68. Nick Collins CB Bethune Cookman - Packers pick at #51

69. Evan Mathis G Alabama

70. Roscoe Parrish WR/KR Miami-F

71-80

Rank Player Pos. School

71. Ryan Moats HB Louisiana Tech

72. Matt McCoy OLB San Diego State

73. Elton Brown G Virginia

74. Domonique Foxworth CB Maryland

75. Frank Gore HB Miami-F

76. Jason Brown C North Carolina

77. Ron Bartell CB Howard

78. Sean Considine S Iowa

79. Atiyyah Ellison DT Missouri

80. Kevin Everett TE Miami-F

81-90

Rank Player Pos. School

81. Fred Gibson WR Georgia

82. Marviel Underwood S San Diego State - Packers pick at #115

83. Stanley Wilson CB Stanford

84. Kyle Orton QB Purdue

85. Ellis Hobbs CB Iowa State

86. Jordan Beck OLB Cal Poly

87. Chris Kemoeatu G Utah

88. Bill Swancutt DE Oregon State

89. Ciatrick Fason HB Florida

90. Nick Kaczur G/T Toledo

91-100

Rank Player Pos. School

91. Darrent Williams CB Oklahoma State

92. Eric Shelton HB Louisville

93. Channing Crowder MLB Florida

94. Leroy Hill LB Clemson

95. Oshiomogho Atogwe S Stanford

96. Jerome Mathis WR Hampton

97. Trai Essex OT Northwestern

98. Joel Dreessen TE Colorado State

99. Lofa Tatupu MLB Southern Cal

100. Chris Canty DE Virginia
Obviously this is all completely speculative and, in fact, quite meaningless at this point. However, getting four of the top 100 (or top 82, as the case may be) at least in this guy's opinion, is not a bad draft.This is what he said about Underwood:

There's a premium on cover safeties in the NFL, and Underwood is one of the best passing-down safeties in this draft. He runs a 4.45 40 and got his hands on 27 career passes at San Diego State. The NFL would be wise not to overlook this Aztec.
Furthermore, while I recognize the theme of this draft was BPA, I think they certainly addressed the needs of this team. With the loss of Darren Sharper and in view of Mark Roman's terrible play last season, it is safe to say that this team has no starting safety right now, so they used 2 of their first 4 picks at safety to fill that need. People have been asking about Favre's successor for the past 3 or four drafts. They capitalized on a great opportunity to fill that "need" by drafting a top 10 QB at #24. They say the worse time to be looking for a quarterback is when you need one and I agree - just ask any Bear fan.Drafting two WR may absolutely fill a need, in light of Javon Walker's recent shenanigans. Moreover, we saw in the playoff game last winter at Lambeau how shoddy the depth at that position is and how devastating it can be to the entire offense when they lose a couple guys at that position. I have no qualms with those two picks whatsover.

They added a linebacker, two CB's, a DT and two guards - are these not needs for this team?

Finally, I think BPA, while perhaps less exciting for the fans, is a proven strategy. I remember when Ron Wolf drafted Clifton in the 2nd and Tauscher in the 7th in 2000. The Packers had two good starting tackles in Dotson and Verba and the picks seemed wasted at the time. Those two selections are now part of the Wolf legend.

My thoughts:

1) UnlessThe Brain Doctor says Rodgers is an ESTP (Favre, Manning, Elway, Montana, Marino, Brady ... all ESTPs), I think it was a wasted pick. If he's an ESTP, best pick EVAH!

2) Collins may have been a reach, but the Bethune-Cookman coaches did a pretty good job on Rashean Mathis ... and he's turned out solid.

3) I was hoping they'd have taken Vincent Jackson over Murphy. But after reading about Murphy's work habits, I'm impressed. Considering Driver's contract just doubled in size this year (to $1.2M) and next year Fergusons contract nearly triples (to $1.4M), along with concerns about being able to resign Walker AND questions about Ferguson's ability to come back .... it's a safe pick.

4) I question the selection of Hawkins, but read this:

Hawkins was still on good terms with two Oklahoma assistants, running backs coach Cale Gundy and defensive line coach Jackie Shipp. Shipp is good friends with Highsmith and told him to check Hawkins out, despite his wretched football résumé. In fact, even though 10 Sooners were drafted into the NFL over the weekend, Highsmith's connections told him Hawkins was the best athlete ever recruited for Stoops.

This spring, Highsmith worked him out with a few other NFL teams, such as Indianapolis, and came back home convinced that in seven years as a scout, he'd just worked out the best athlete he'd ever seen. :eek:

"You don't find kids walking around 6-foot-2 running 4.3s and have good athletic ability," Highsmith said. "I would put this kid athletically against anyone in the draft. It's a gamble but the return, the up side, could be so great."
linkMy take is the grade will be an incomplete. We're not going to see the results on any of these guys for a while, but the upside is big.

Bates doesn't seem concerned about the way the board fell and is high on Collins, so I'll defer to him as he's the one that's got to work with them.

After reading all I could about the players drafted this past weekend, and hearing Jim Bates speak about the DL, I've stepped off the ledge, and am warming up to this draft. This draft could possibly head off the need to rebuild that will eventually show up in the next 2-3 years, and could possibly turn out well. We will not know obviously, for a couple years, but they certainly drafted some quality athletes, although a couple seem to lack the smarts, but we will see about that as well. No team gets 100% of their draft choices to produce, so we will see.

I am still not sure about Rodgers, but I do understand picking him. He seems to have his head on straight, now let's hope his talent is enough to step right in once Brett decides to hang it up. if he's as good as they say, we should have the Bear and Viking fans :wall: for years to come again.

One thing really stood out from Rodgers press conference, this statement:

"My agent works for me, I let him know that. I also let him know I want to be in camp on day 1. I'm here to learn and play football, and prove 23 other teams wrong."
Wow, when have you heard a player talk like that about an agent, usually the player will say something like, "That's in the hands of the team and my agent now".I'm OK with the draft as of now, time will tell.......

Im friends with Kurt Cambell, went to HS with him and have known him for a while now. The kids pretty freken big for a S. Besides his size and speed, he has great HEART and sportsmanship. Your not getting some thug/loudmouth! This kid will do everything in his will to earn a starting spot, whether thats soon or later, only time will tell. Ive played some flag-football with him he gots skill.

I remember he was telling me when he visited the Giants last year for something and Will Allen noticed him out of all th other ppl there and started doing some friendly jawing with Kurt. lol

Will Allen was like damn you big, what position you play. Kurt was like yours, im here to take it. Will was like aright aright i like your attitude.
Oh crap. The Packers are taking flag football players now. The Vikings are toast! :lmao: :cheese: :lmao:

:horns:

Users who are viewing this thread