What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Great suggestions in here. I’ve researched pellet grills for quite a long time. Oddly enough I decided not to get one and put $ into a nice natural gas grill instead. I saw that @FatMax and @baymen mentioned TEC infrared grills. They look amazing and I was definitely considering them, but in the end I didn’t get approval to spend that much money from my wife… so I kind of bought the poor man’s TEC which could also be an option.

I bought a SABER Deluxe Black 4 burner. It is not the same as TEC but is described as “Infrared” so there are some similarities. If you have a Weber 3 burner, a comparable model would be a Saber Deluxe Black 3 burner. You can get them in NG. You mentioned you wanted something that would be easy to use. The greatest feature of the infrared style grill is that it doesn’t flare up. There is literally no way for the grease and food droppings to hit the open flame. You'll have to look at the grill grate design to see what I mean. I'll just tell you that it does work. If ease of use is important then infrared would be a great consideration, and the Saber can do it for a more reasonable price compared to TEC. I also smoked a pork shoulder on it for the first time using a roasting rack and foil packets of wood chips and was really surprised at how well it turned out.

In regards to the endless amounts of researching and youtube videos I’ve watched about smokers… that I never really used:

I definitely agree with @Ron Swanson on the RT-B380X Bullseye Deluxe. In fact I did not know the Deluxe version existed. I love that it has the ash cleanout drawer. I had been looking at the standard Bullseye but in general didn’t like the need for a shop vac to clean out the burn pot.

I saw you asked about the Pit Boss Pro Combo Grill. There is a good chance I may have purchased one of these but I didn’t for the same reason you mentioned. Pit Boss doesn’t have an NG hookup. If you have NG it is so convenient. I feel like they are missing opportunities. And to my knowledge there is no pellet / gas combo that has NG available.

I saw @snore mention the Masterbuilt gravity series. I was taking a serious look at these and they look great. You get the charcoal flavor with automatic temp setting electronics. I have a friend that has a RecTeq pellet and a Masterbuilt gravity series and he told me the flavor you get with charcoal can’t be matched with pellet… but yeah, the pellets are easier to deal with.

@SteevieG mention the Char-Griller Gravity 980. I watched a ton of videos of the Char-Griller Gravity 980 vs. the Masterbuilt gravity series and the Char-Griller always won. Mainly because of better quality of components. The chimney part and internals are more heavy duty. But the 980 definitely have a bigger footprint, and both had great flavor. The Masterbuilt is more vertical compared to the CG980. You might want to check out the Char-Griller Auto-Kamado. It’s literally a Kamado style grill with the pellet smoker electronics and a lot smaller footprint.

The smokers that I have been considering as a ‘maybe’ for the future is the Pit Boss vertical smokers. There is one you can get a Wal-mart (Pit Boss Brunswick) and one you can get at Lowes (Pit Boss Pro). Reason I like them is they are affordable, they have an easy ash cleanout system (no shop vac needed) and since they are vertical they have a smaller footprint which can be a factor on my patio.

Last thing I’ll leave you with is… if you just want to give pellet smokers a try but don’t want to spend a ton of $$$ the Pit Boss Lexington at Wal-Mart gets good reviews and comes in under $300. It’s very simple, which I feel could be nice. And if you go to Wal-mart at the right time you may find these discounted even lower.
You can also buy charcoal flavored pellets. I haven’t done so but my friends swear by them for that charcoal taste. Ymmv.

We're having alot of family over for Thanksgiving and I'm thinking of throwing an extra bird in my (Camp Chef) pellet smoker just to make sure we're covered with the added bonus of not taking up room in our oven. Looking for suggestions to make improve the chances of it coming out well without spending a ton of time on it. What would you suggest for a simple brine, rub, baste, etc? And what type of pellets would you suggest? I should still have time to order stuff in time. TIA!
The key with poultry is to cook it hot and fast. Slow smoking has no benefit as there is little to render and the skin won't crisp. You also want it to be as even and dense as possible. So, flat. I recommend spatchcocking poultry, brining in a 1:1:1 brine (pure water, salt, sugar) for a maximum 24 hours (dry brine also works fine) and then cooking with a leave in thermometer at about 375 until the breast is 160 ish and the thigh/legs are 180 ish. If the legs or wings start to get too dark, they can be foiled.
Spatchcocking is the way to go for sure. I buy whole chickens and cook two at a time and use for the week for quick lunches etc. haven’t done a turkey yet but on the list.

We're having alot of family over for Thanksgiving and I'm thinking of throwing an extra bird in my (Camp Chef) pellet smoker just to make sure we're covered with the added bonus of not taking up room in our oven. Looking for suggestions to make improve the chances of it coming out well without spending a ton of time on it. What would you suggest for a simple brine, rub, baste, etc? And what type of pellets would you suggest? I should still have time to order stuff in time. TIA!
The key with poultry is to cook it hot and fast. Slow smoking has no benefit as there is little to render and the skin won't crisp. You also want it to be as even and dense as possible. So, flat. I recommend spatchcocking poultry, brining in a 1:1:1 brine (pure water, salt, sugar) for a maximum 24 hours (dry brine also works fine) and then cooking with a leave in thermometer at about 375 until the breast is 160 ish and the thigh/legs are 180 ish. If the legs or wings start to get too dark, they can be foiled.

Do you notice the sugar when the bird is done, or is it just there for an adder to the solution to force more water in?

My brine for years has been 3/4 cups kosher salt per gallon of water. One hour per pound. I've tried adding all kinds of other stuff to the brine for flavor, but it doesn't seen to translate to the finished product... other than the salt. Though it is possible I've been doing it wrong. I wouldn't discount that either.

Do you notice the sugar when the bird is done, or is it just there for an adder to the solution to force more water in?

My brine for years has been 3/4 cups kosher salt per gallon of water. One hour per pound. I've tried adding all kinds of other stuff to the brine for flavor, but it doesn't seen to translate to the finished product... other than the salt. Though it is possible I've been doing it wrong. I wouldn't discount that either.
Truthfully, this is a "cut the ends off the ham" scenario. It's just how I learned to do it. I alternate between wet brine 1:1:1 and just dry brining with salt. I don't think it makes much difference but with the wet brine you have to be careful not to let it sit too long...over 24 hours tends to make it a bit hammy tasting. That may be the sugar. I agree that nothing else seems to contribute to a brine and salt is the only important ingredient.

When you guys do your brine, are you just adding salt to water?

Depending on what I'm doing, I'll bring some water to a boil and add herbs, lemon, paprika, bay leaves, garlic powder, onion powder....

let i simmer a little bit then chill it with ice/fridge. Definitely adds flavor (rosemary especially with chicken) other than salt in my experience.

Depending on what I'm doing, I'll bring some water to a boil and add herbs, lemon, paprika, bay leaves, garlic powder, onion powder....

let i simmer a little bit then chill it with ice/fridge. Definitely adds flavor (rosemary especially with chicken) other than salt in my experience.
9 times out of 10 my brine is either salt and Apple juice or salt and Soda (usually use Root Bear or Dr Pepper, I have tried Orange and other flavors but all it does is turn the meat orange). Depending on the cut of meat and size I will usually use 1-2 2L bottles then add water until the meat is covered.

Yes. Just salt/sugar and water. I do use distilled or filtered water.

I decided to take the dive and purchased this today:
Pit Boss Pro at Lowes

I was going to buy the one listed above at wal-mart, but this one seemed sturdier and heavier even though it was more $$. I really don't need the wifi and blue tooth but oh well. I was going to go the smaller version at Lowe's for $100 less, but this model has removable ash holder, plus when all of the kids and spouses come home I will have plenty space. Going to burn it off tomorrow and then will fire it up next weekend with a Turkey and Ham for family Thanksgiving. I might as well jump in both feet. I love my Weber smokey mountain, but I like the fact of ease of use with this, especially when it is colder or breezy and I can also turn up the heat when needed.

Wife isn't thrilled about it because now I have my weber gas on the deck and this on the deck with the smokey mountain below the deck. I may put it in the garage eventually but we will see.

WILDLY successful Friendsgiving turkey cook.

3 hours at 145, bone in turkey breasts in sous vide cooler rig. I did have to weight them down because in spite of a good vacuum sealer, the cavity inside the breasts and bones stayed somewhat air filled. Then, I used my (because the smoker is STILL backordered) propane grill + pellet tube smoking gadget to smoke them for another 2 hours or so.

Patted dry and brined overnight beforehand with salt, pepper, garlic. Re-dried before the vac seal and re-rubbed with salt, pepper, garlic. Re-patted before the final smoke and, you guessed it, re-rubbed with salt, pepper, garlic.

The skin crisped up nicely, the flavors seeped in (I used a cherry/maple/hickory competition mix) well, and it was SO TENDER. I'm about to have the tiny little bit of leftovers (legit have enough for only two sandwiches out of 16 pounds of turkey that fed 12 people). Literally had people raving and actively asking what I did and how to do it. It was so far and away the most tender and juicy turkey I have ever had outside of an actual highly rated BBQ joint.

On top of that, made two BBQ sauces for it:
1. Classic mustard (ACV, regular yellow mustard, garlic, ground mustard, tiny bit of cayenne, grated half an onion, brown sugar)
2. Spicy Texas style (ACV, spicy ketchup, garlic, cayenne, chili powder, brown sugar, this crushed up dried jalapeno seasoning i made)

Both turned out amazing. I prefer the spicy Texas one. My wife loves the mustard one.

Sometimes simple is best.

Did my best turkey yet. Was told by the guests it was the best they have had. Not sure if being polite but I’ll take it.

Basically i rubbed with creole seasoning and injected it with this creole marinade and let brine/marinate for 48 hours.

Was at my BILs house and his smoker only gets up to 275. So we smoked it u til the Breast got to 135 then transferred to the oven which was at 350 to crisp the skin and finish. Basted it while in there. Came out perfect. I thought about wrapping it at the 135 mark with butter which i may try in the future but can’t complain.

Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving.

Last edited:
Turkey and Ham going on the new Pit Boss today for all of the kids coming home tonight. Going to use GrillinFools Bourbon recipe that he just put up on Facebook last night. Simple but effective.

Turkey and Ham were a Huge hit, especially the turkey. All of the kids said that was the best turkey they ever had. I probably checked on it more than I needed to, but it was nice out and of course I was nervous doing a big meal on the Pit Boss for the first time. It was so much easier than the Weber though even though I enjoy messing around with the Weber. Didn't get any pics because they were all impatiently waiting even though it was done on time and the wife started carving before I had a chance to get a picture.

When all of the kids were home for Thanksgiving, It was requested (jokingly) that I do a Prime Rib for Christmas. Well, they are going to be surprised because I have a 17 pound USDA choice Prime Rib roast in my refrigerator getting ready for Christmas. Going to do it on my Pit Boss so hopefully I don't screw it up and ruin a good piece of meat.

When all of the kids were home for Thanksgiving, It was requested (jokingly) that I do a Prime Rib for Christmas. Well, they are going to be surprised because I have a 17 pound USDA choice Prime Rib roast in my refrigerator getting ready for Christmas. Going to do it on my Pit Boss so hopefully I don't screw it up and ruin a good piece of meat.

Surprisingly, prime rib is one of the easiest things to cook in a smoker. Cook rib side down, 225-250 for about 30 minutes per pound. I like a quick reverse sear at the end to get a little crust, but that's optional. Pull it a few degrees short of your target, as it will continue to cook a little internally while resting.

If interested, here is an easy rub recipe for prime rib. Not sure how much you'll need for hunk of meat that big, but I'd guess you'd want to cup or so. Below is just ratios.
(2) black pepper
(2) dried thyme
(1) minced garlic
(1) kosher salt
mix with enough olive oil to create a paste, and rub it down. Get the seasoning between the ribs and the roast, assuming that your butcher has cradled it (mostly separating the ribs from the roast)

I'm not one to buy rubs, brines etc in the store, but we found a brine we REALLY like....Bells...for turkeys anyway.

Also for a prime rib do a really simple rub...slather the meat with horseradish mustard and then a mix of mostly salt/pepper with garlic powder

Surprisingly, prime rib is one of the easiest things to cook in a smoker. Cook rib side down, 225-250 for about 30 minutes per pound. I like a quick reverse sear at the end to get a little crust, but that's optional. Pull it a few degrees short of your target, as it will continue to cook a little internally while resting.

If interested, here is an easy rub recipe for prime rib. Not sure how much you'll need for hunk of meat that big, but I'd guess you'd want to cup or so. Below is just ratios.
(2) black pepper
(2) dried thyme
(1) minced garlic
(1) kosher salt
mix with enough olive oil to create a paste, and rub it down. Get the seasoning between the ribs and the roast, assuming that your butcher has cradled it (mostly separating the ribs from the roast)
Yes did one for a night with some friends…very easy and so damn good.

May do one for Christmas as Publix has theirs on sale big this week ($5.99/lb)

(2) black pepper
(2) dried thyme
(1) minced garlic
(1) kosher salt
Yes did one for a night with some friends…very easy and so damn good.

May do one for Christmas as Publix has theirs on sale big this week ($5.99/lb)
I got mine from a local butcher and that is a lot cheaper than the one I got. I would jump all over that.

Shout-out to RecTeq customer service. I went to rotate my smoker 90 degrees, not noticing that one of the fixed wheels was sitting in an expansion joint in the driveway. Put a twist on the wheel/leg/bolt assembly and it didn't want to roll smoothly afterward.

Shot an email to them explaining what I did (totally my fault), asking about buying a replacement wheel. First response I got was a shipping notice of them sending the replacement part at no charge.

It's only like a $15 part, but still.

I’d like to do a prime rib but not enough people in my family would appreciate it. Maybe I’ll give it a try though
Yeah, my wife has some odd food sensitivities, and beef gives her gut issues (but not chicken, lamb, pork), so prime rib likely not happening for me unless I plan to eat most of it myself :porked:

I’d like to do a prime rib but not enough people in my family would appreciate it. Maybe I’ll give it a try though
Yeah, my wife has some odd food sensitivities, and beef gives her gut issues (but not chicken, lamb, pork), so prime rib likely not happening for me unless I plan to eat most of it myself :porked:
Also when we host it’s usually extended family with stuff like ham, cheesy potatoes, green bean casserole stuff like that so we usually just use those chinet paper plates and plastic utensils
I suppose I could cut a bunch up into small chunks or strips or something to make it easier to eat

My plan is to do Prime Rib on the Pit Boss for the family Christmas but Mother Nature is trying to throw me a knuckle ball. Forecast low of -18 Saturday night and a high of 9 for Sunday. Wife is planning to have the oven full so we will see how this works. I have a blanket for it, but it still could be interesting. At least I am not doing it on the Smokey Mountain because that would be a real pain.

My plan is to do Prime Rib on the Pit Boss for the family Christmas but Mother Nature is trying to throw me a knuckle ball. Forecast low of -18 Saturday night and a high of 9 for Sunday. Wife is planning to have the oven full so we will see how this works. I have a blanket for it, but it still could be interesting. At least I am not doing it on the Smokey Mountain because that would be a real pain.
I think it will work fine. You may burn more pellets to keep up...

I’m out in Australia trying to convince the family to let me do a prime rib. No smoker though so we will have to do oven. Although we may by the i laws a smoker for Xmas. Bonus is i can use it for prime rib 🤷🏽‍♂️

My WSM kicks butt in the cold, wind is a much bigger issue.

Charcoal pellets usually burn hotter. If its not too late check out bear mountain or lumberjack. They both sell charcoal pellets and they should help if you are worried about getting the temp up.

Worst case though smoke at a low temp and then just broil it at the end.

I just threw in the towel on grilling today. I can handle 3 degree temps but with high gusts through my backyard there's no way I can keep the temps steady over several hours. Now gameplanning with my wife on timing as we're going to be fighting over the oven all day before guests arrive at 2. Time to start sneaking some bourbon into the coffee ...

I started the Prime rib early (7:00) today because it was -6 when I started it and I wanted to make sure it was done in time for lunch. I had it set at 260 and around 10:00 it was already at 120. I started to panic a bit that it was going to be done way too early so I covered it in foil and shut the Pit Boss off. It held temp well even being in the Pit Boss on the deck outside. I started the Pit Boss back up around 11:30 and it was ready to go by 12:30. The whole family said it was very good and I have to do it again sometime. Here are Photos of the meal.

I started the Prime rib early (7:00) today because it was -6 when I started it and I wanted to make sure it was done in time for lunch. I had it set at 260 and around 10:00 it was already at 120. I started to panic a bit that it was going to be done way too early so I covered it in foil and shut the Pit Boss off. It held temp well even being in the Pit Boss on the deck outside. I started the Pit Boss back up around 11:30 and it was ready to go by 12:30. The whole family said it was very good and I have to do it again sometime. Here are Photos of the meal.

Looks delicious. What did you end up doing for the rub? How'd you like it?

Dude this looks phenomenal.

Looks delicious. What did you end up doing for the rub? How'd you like it?
I used this recipe from TheFanatic over at Grillinfools. I could find a couple of the herbs (marjoram, tarragon) so I grabbed a container of fresh cut italian herbs. I doubled the amounts because I had the bigger piece of meat. I thought I should have went a little less on the rub, but everyone else said no way, that the flavor was amazing.

broke down and got a 36" Blackstone griddle. Seasoning it now and excited to test it out. :banned:

@The Gator - got this for Xmas

Hibachi was first meal on it tonight - was great. Had a Japanese whiskey and my adult son made a Sake cocktail!

broke down and got a 36" Blackstone griddle. Seasoning it now and excited to test it out. :banned:

@The Gator - got this for Xmas

Hibachi was first meal on it tonight - was great. Had a Japanese whiskey and my adult son made a Sake cocktail!
Nice dude!

So happy with mine, hope you enjoy it. :banned:

Omg. Did the spatchcock chicken thing today and it was amazing. Brined for 4 hrs then on BGE indirect for about 2 hours on 270ish. 20 minutes at 350ish. Even did the "alabama white sauce " and it was the best chicken we have ever had. We have a 6lb butt for Sunday and I can't wait.

I also smoked my first ever prime rib roast (13 pounds!) for our extended family Christmas party yesterday and it was a huge hit. I was completely nervous right up until I sliced it because it's by far the most I've ever spent on a hunk of meat. It came out a perfect medium rare to medium, which is exactly what I was going for. Sorry no pictures because things were pretty chaotic due to the fact that we were hosting, but here's the recipe I followed.

Kenji's Roasted and Reverse Seared Prime Rib

I'll definitely be making it again and won't be so stressed next time! :-)

Anybody tried the Truff hot sauce? Think I'll do up some truffalo wings for New Year's. I picked up a truffle seasoning for Xmas. Use that as rub. Grill with some indirect heat. Cast iron fry for crunch at the end.

Truffalo sauce, vinegar, worchestershire, garlic powder, S and P. Yesh.

My Wife's Boss bought a smoker for her husband for Xmas and accidently ordered 2 Picanha for him to try on his first smoke. She gave us one of them and we had Smoked Picanha as part of our Xmas Eve meal. I went super simple as I didn't want to screw up such a beautiful cut of meat. I left the fat cap intact and just rubbed it with Kosimos Beef Rub. An almost 3 hour smoke with Meat Church Competition blend pellets had it at 140 and went in the Yeti for a hour to rest. I had to cut a portion and put it back on for my wife to get it to medium well (left side of the cooked pic), the rest was a ideal medium rare toward the rarer side. I don't think I've ever had better beef, just spectacular.

For tomorrow, I bought a whole pork belly to do burnt ends and impulse bought a pineapple to smoke with it.

Also smoked some cheese yesterday.

Horseradish and my first try at Monterey Jack and a mild cheddar I found at the store

😃

Last edited:
Baby backs tonight. Cut the rack in half.
Half rack just salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Other half added ground cumin and smoked paprika.
2 hours at 250, then 30 minutes in foil with spray butter and a light sprinkle of brown sugar. Upped the temp to 300 while in foil. Then last 30 minutes no foil til the meat pulled back just enough from the bone.

So dang good. Perfect doneness…slight tug left…good smoke and bark.

Did prefer the paprika and cumin ribs tonight. But both were fantastic…and bought these when ribs were on sale…small rack was $5.50. Way better than most restaurants and much cheaper obviously.

Left is salt and pepper right adds the paprika and cumin.

A bit late here, but smoked a 12 lb prime rib on my WSM for a Christmas Dinner at our house. First time doing it, and man, was it a hit! Can't wait for the next excuse to do so!

Anyone got a really good smoked beef jerky recipe they use and like?

A bit late here, but smoked a 12 lb prime rib on my WSM for a Christmas Dinner at our house. First time doing it, and man, was it a hit! Can't wait for the next excuse to do so!

Anyone got a really good smoked beef jerky recipe they use and like?
Beef Eye Round Or Beef Flank, sliced ¼” against the grain. Can go with the grain on flank for more chew. Remove fat and silverskin. Marinade and Prague Powder amounts are for 4-5 pounds of meat.

Best to freeze meat solid after trimming to get better slices on slicer. 3.5 thickness setting on slicer is good.

Marinade
2 cups soy sauce
1 cup teriyaki sauce
1 cup worcestershire
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon fresh cracked pepper
1 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon Prague Powder (1.5 teaspoons, 8.2 grams for 5.45 pounds)
1 cup brown sugar

Marinate for 24 hours.

Lay on grill mat (avoid edges to prevent overcooking at edge) and smoke at 180 for about 3-4 hours. Check after 2-3 hours. Flank may take 4-5 hours, eye round less. When it breaks a bit when doubled over it is done. Flank may stay a little greasy.

Options

Prague Powder - 1 tsp per 5#’s of meat or Meathead Calc.
Bourbon
This recipe is a mild spice. Add more red pepper for more spice.

Users who are viewing this thread