What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (1 Viewer)

The Gator

Hey, watch this!
####

Came out dry and meh. Last one I did I took to 195 when I trimmed too much fat off and it came out better than this one. I left more fat on this one and took it to 200. The only difference was I brined the first one for 3 days, this one 20hrs. 

I was less than happy. Told my brother to get back to the ranch and get another one so I can redeem myself lol

CletiusMaximus

Footballguy
Costco had prime brisket on sale a while back so I picked one up and cooked it this past weekend. I used to kind of scoff at the notion of prime brisket and never bought one before. This was the best brisket I've ever made. It was on the BGE for about 12 hours then wrapped and in the oven on low for about 18 more, just due to timing issues with family activities on Saturday. Extremely rich and tasty. I followed Chudd's method --> https://youtu.be/-mZAUGUn5Q0

Spanky267

Footballguy
Anyone use a vertical pellet smoker? Walmart is clearing out their lawn and garden section to get ready for Christmas. They have the Pit Boss Brunswick vertical smoker on sale for $359 in my local store. I've not done alot of smoking but when I have its been a struggle with an offset. Wondering if a vertical like this would be better for a novice like myself.

Ron Swanson

Footballguy
Anyone use a vertical pellet smoker? Walmart is clearing out their lawn and garden section to get ready for Christmas. They have the Pit Boss Brunswick vertical smoker on sale for $359 in my local store. I've not done alot of smoking but when I have its been a struggle with an offset. Wondering if a vertical like this would be better for a novice like myself.
I think just about any modern PID controlled pellet smoker is going to solve temp control problems whether vertical or offset. Totally different ballgame than a stick or charcoal burning offset, especially in the cheap range.

Spanky267

Footballguy
I think just about any modern PID controlled pellet smoker is going to solve temp control problems whether vertical or offset. Totally different ballgame than a stick or charcoal burning offset, especially in the cheap range.

Thanks. These pellet grills/smokers are all new to me. I've had a stick/charcoal burning offset, an inexpensive one. Just wasnt good at controlling the temps and getting consistent results. And the jump in cost to a higher quality offset and the time required to get good at using it doesnt seem worth it. Based on how often I'll use it. But the price of this unit makes it attractive to me as I can get it and a good quality griddle for less than what a good quality offset smoker/grill would cost.

heckmanm

Footballguy

Thanks. These pellet grills/smokers are all new to me. I've had a stick/charcoal burning offset, an inexpensive one. Just wasnt good at controlling the temps and getting consistent results. And the jump in cost to a higher quality offset and the time required to get good at using it doesnt seem worth it. Based on how often I'll use it. But the price of this unit makes it attractive to me as I can get it and a good quality griddle for less than what a good quality offset smoker/grill would cost.
In my experience, temperature control is all about airflow control. If your firebox won't seal tight enough it's almost impossible to hold a low temp.

I had a cheap Brinkman vertical offset where the ash cleanout door warped on the first cook and leaked like a sieve. I ended up making a gasket/shield out of heavy-duty foil to block it from sucking in too much air.

Ron Swanson

Footballguy

In my experience, temperature control is all about airflow control. If your firebox won't seal tight enough it's almost impossible to hold a low temp.

I had a cheap Brinkman vertical offset where the ash cleanout door warped on the first cook and leaked like a sieve. I ended up making a gasket/shield out of heavy-duty foil to block it from sucking in too much air.
This is true, but a PID controller on a pellet smoker can overcome that. In fact, many pellet smokers just pull the air they need from the gaps with no real inlet vent.

heckmanm

Footballguy

This is true, but a PID controller on a pellet smoker can overcome that. In fact, many pellet smokers just pull the air they need from the gaps with no real inlet vent.
True, I was referring back to the earlier comment about a cheap stick/charcoal burner. I discovered when I got mine that I could either spend $400 or $1000 with almost no options in between. And the lower end is really hard to control due to leaky construction.

Spanky267

Footballguy

Yeah the door on the firebox didnt seal super tight on mine. I think the major problem on mine was that the cooking area was small. So it was hard to keep the meat away from the heat. The body was made of rather thin gauge steel and the firebox, besides leaking air, was also tiny. Overall it wasnt a very high quality product.

Spanky267

Footballguy

True, I was referring back to the earlier comment about a cheap stick/charcoal burner. I discovered when I got mine that I could either spend $400 or $1000 with almost no options in between. And the lower end is really hard to control due to leaky construction.
You are absolutely correct. Which is why I am looking at the Pit Boss vertical pellet smoker. For as often as I cook and as unskilled as I am. I just cant justify the jump to $900-$1000 for an offset. When I can get one of these right now for sub-$400. Not to mention the difference in the amount of space taken up on my patio. Planning on getting this vertical smoker and a griddle. Should be able to do everything that I want to between them. And for about the same cost or slightly less than a good quality offset smoker.

SayChowda

Footballguy
Finally broke in my smoker after 1.5+ years of getting it as a gift. Wanted to start easy to get to know it (Weber Smokey Mountain).

Used this recipe exactly and followed all the instructions. 10/10 on the results. Both my wife and I loved it and have plenty left.

I know it isn't anything crazy, but I had to start somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread